Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 24, 2014 9:28 PM

Feb 2014
Most light novel readers and also some anime only watchers who have read deeper into the Mahouka Universe perhaps know of Tatsuya's true abilities and characteristics. Tatsuya can be said to be shown to have some godlike characteristics in the Mahouka Universe and I read that the Hindu God Shiva was possibly an influence in creating his character.

Clues

- Epithet - Mahesvara, The Destroyer

- Silver Trident

- Third Eye

- Powers: Decomposition, Regrowth

Also in Mahouka you could say that magicians with their powerful magical abilities that warp reality could be approximated to "Living Gods".

So what do you guys think of this theory?

AzlanAug 23, 2014 9:25 PM
May 24, 2014 9:44 PM
Oct 2013
There is some reference to the God Shiva for sure, his whole relationship between his sister is based off that. As for being a god just no.
May 24, 2014 10:09 PM

Feb 2014
RexZShadow said:
There is some reference to the God Shiva for sure, his whole relationship between his sister is based off that. As for being a god just no.

Yes, so the Shiva influence explains quite a bit about his character. Also sorry I wasn't implying that he was a God, just that he had some of the characteristics of Shiva.
May 24, 2014 10:16 PM

Nov 2013
I think his abilities and powers were created with the influence of Shiva but I don't think his personality matches the personality of mahesvra. The ability to decompose everything into nothing and re grow nothing into something (of course there are some limits though) is essentially the work of god so it Is highly possible for tatsuya to be god like but he is definitely not god.
To hunger, but not gluttonous. To arouse, but not lustful. To tire, but not slothful.
May 24, 2014 10:25 PM

Feb 2014
Jun 11, 2014 6:55 PM
Jun 2013
maybe that's why Tatsuya is Gary Stu.

because Shiva is a Gary STU.
Jun 19, 2014 11:10 AM

Jun 2014
I thought Shiva is linked with Miyuki being an ice based summon in final fantasy games and all
Aug 1, 2014 8:52 PM
Jun 2013
AppleJinx said:
I thought Shiva is linked with Miyuki being an ice based summon in final fantasy games and all

no, that's different.

Shiva is Hindu's GOD. The Destroyer.

Tatsuya has many similarities with MAHADEV.
Aug 2, 2014 1:46 AM

May 2013
Superfaraway said:

But Tatsuya exceeds Shiva in being Gary Stu. :P
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Aug 2, 2014 3:01 AM
Jun 2013
jakkubus said:
Superfaraway said:

no, MAHADEV is Supreme God.

if you're a HINDU, then you will understand.
Aug 2, 2014 3:55 AM

May 2013
Superfaraway said:
jakkubus said:

no, MAHADEV is Supreme God.

if you're a HINDU, then you will understand.

But Tatsuya is Supreme Gary Stu.
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Aug 2, 2014 11:54 AM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: Off-topic argument about religion removed. Please focus on the theory that has been proposed regarding the anime/LN is influenced by or based upon a particular pantheon, rather than getting into an argument about competing religious beliefs.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 2, 2014 12:14 PM

Jul 2014
Shiva you said ?
Let's get things done in quick way then
When you pronounce Shiba in japanese's accent, it sounded like "Shi-va"
What is his second great title ? a part of Taurus Silver, and if you pronounce the english word of Silver in japanese way, you would hear it as "Shi - l - va" or "Shiva" again lol

Aug 3, 2014 5:23 PM
Mar 2013
Taurus is a Bull.
Shiva's mount is a Bull.
Aug 17, 2014 7:53 PM
Oct 2012
Been reading some of the light novels.

Yes, Tatsuya is Shiva (the yokohama incident ending proved this, lightning indeed), but the comparisons don't end there. We have also have had a Kali and Parvati. Probably more if I spent some time thinking about it, but the writer is definitely up on his "Lord of Light" mythology.
Aug 22, 2014 9:03 AM
Aug 2012
Not sure if everybody see this, but just in case:

http://ojousamajuice.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/mahouka-koukou-no-rettousei-and-the-shiva-connection/

What do you guys think? The relation is too much for it to only go as far as Tatsuya's title and power goes

I am the bone of my sword
Steel is my body and fire is my blood
I have created over a thousand blades
Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
Have withstood pain to create many weapons
Yet, those hands will never hold anything
So as I pray, unlimited blade works.
Aug 22, 2014 9:14 AM
Oct 2012
GundamSFS said:
Not sure if everybody see this, but just in case:

http://ojousamajuice.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/mahouka-koukou-no-rettousei-and-the-shiva-connection/

What do you guys think? The relation is too much for it to only go as far as Tatsuya's title and power goes

There is already a thread on this, and yes he is based on Shiva, hell his nickname even calls him that.

But the similarities doesn't end there. The really important thing to know is: who is Miyuki based on. That explains far more things about this show than who Tatsuya is based on.
Aug 22, 2014 10:33 AM
May 2013
Lot of things are wrong in this comparison, he overdid it but he is indeed based on Shiva.
Aug 22, 2014 10:53 AM
Oct 2012
HomeAlone said:
Lot of things are wrong in this comparison, he overdid it but he is indeed based on Shiva.

What was over done?
Aug 22, 2014 11:41 AM
May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
HomeAlone said:

What was over done?

2- It's true that he loves Miyuki the most but his affection for the others keep growing by volumes, Miyuki noticed this too. Before this there was also the Honami incident.
4-His father knows and recognizes his talent, they can't deny his researches as Silver greatly helped FLT but he neglects him because he is a guardian.
7-Miyuki does not really need to catch up to Tatsuya since she is already at this level and there are magicians rivaling or stronger than her, Lina and Maya are more concrete examples but I could cite Juumonji and Masaki as well.
8-I only find the Shiva/Silver pronunciation is overdone, some bits of 18, 19 and 20 too.
9- The way the scars are placed on his body I can't really connect it with tiger stripes, there are even X shaped ones but it might be a reference.
Aug 22, 2014 12:38 PM
Oct 2012
^^Yes, I would agree that poster had a couple of "stretched" examples. However I don't think the writer went far enough on Miyuki, because when you contemplate who exactly she is, it confirms the theory.

Miyuki is far more powerful than Tatsuya. She beat Lina square up. But that isn't when she is her most powerful:

As for the names. The Japanese love name games, it is something inherent in the way the language is written. Take "Shi" - the character they use means "rule or administer", "ba" means waves. But another "shi" character is "four" and another "ba" character is leaves. In short: "Yostuba". While all Japanese numerals from 1-10 have two pronunciations (one Japanese and one Chinese) that are widely used, in Japan "four" is almost always pronounced with the Japanese sound "Yotsu/yon" because "Shi" can also be read as "death" (Seven is the other one usually avoided since "Shichi" also means "to cut").

As for Shiba and Silver, yes they are pronounced the same way (as is Shiva), so Tarus Silver means "Silver Bull" (which Shiva has), and his gun is "silver horn" which is another icon from Shiva's iconography.
Aug 22, 2014 12:56 PM
Oct 2013
I was disturbed with the "eye-sex" thing. Seriously!?

Other than that, I'd like to add that Miyuki uses Ice-based magic which is commonly associated with Shiva/Parvati in most modern games and novels.

Imo some of the webmaster's idea is just going overboard like tiger stripes, passing consciousness, eye-sex...
Aug 23, 2014 9:38 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Merged

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.