Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 27, 2009 4:16 PM

Dec 2008
Falatorx said:
They just got done defeating the best assassins created by the genius of the field and then he is killed by some old man riding by on a horse? Anti-clamatic at best. If they were going to kill them off, i would have rather seen them fighting like 30 of those assassins and then die together killing scythe master in an epic scene.

LOL I have to agree. But then again, a lot of things in this anime didn't make sense in terms of "power levels" (can't think of a better term for it, sorry ^^). For example, I wish they made better use of that team of Phantoms - for Phantoms trained to be as good as Ein and Zwei, they sure got taken out pretty easily. It felt like they were only introduced to make the final battle feel more like a final battle and nothing more.

Jacut said:
[...]and overall, most of the characters have been under-developped and under-used (Claudia, Cal and Ein for example).

I have to agree with this, as well, and I think this was one of the bigger issues for me. In order for me to like an anime, I have to like the characters. If I don't, then I probably will not like it. I felt that Phantom's characters were terribly under-used and they could have delved much further into who they were, what they thought and felt, and their development. Consequently, I hardly felt anything for, well, any of the characters because I honestly didn't care >.>

As for Elen's "death", I took it to be metaphorical. Because only one shot was fired and it was Reiji who fell, I take it to mean that it was he who died (why Elen was not also shot is beyond me, but anyway...) Reiji was the only one who truly understood her as Elen - not an assassin, and not as the fake personality she put on at school during the third arc. And don't they say that someone is live, just as long as there is someone to remember them? With Reiji gone, if Elen dies, no one would remember her as she truly is and thus, metaphorically, she is dead already. Moreover, Reiji was the one who always supported her and kept her going. Therefore, with Reiji gone, there was no one else for her and she really had nothing else to live for, so again, she is metaphorically dead.

Unless she really is physically dead, and in that case....I don't know >.>

Overall, the episode was done fairly well. I still feel that the six Phantom team wasn't used to its full potential and so it just felt contrived - it was pretty clear that Elen and Reiji were going to defeat them, and then move on to SM, so I spent that part of the episode just waiting it out. SM really was an interesting character, if only for his eccentricities, so again, he's another case of an under-developed character. When I watched him this episode, I asked myself, "Why don't we know more about this guy?" and then wondered what this show would have been like if it was from his perspective rather than Reiji's (then again...it would probably just be a lot of weird "puppet" molestation scenes LOL)

For the series as a whole, I'm pretty much in agreement with Jacut. Phantom could have been a lot more, but it wasn't and felt rather underwhelming. The direction was inconsistent, the characters were underused and under-developed, and who could forget the weird "songasm"? It gets points for an interesting premise, some interesting developments in the first arc (that never really got finished or explored further), some solid animation, and a decent character or two (even if they weren't used to their full potentials, such as Claudia or Cal). So, overall, Phantom could have been a lot better if handled a different way. 6/10.
Sep 27, 2009 4:19 PM

Jan 2008
*sigh* I would have been happier if they stopped at when Reiji walks away from Elen in the blue sky background rather than the sunset background. There happy ending but noooooooo....I also had a huge suspicion of that horse riding guy would kill Reiji and I was right. I was a bit disturbed that Reiji died and that when Elen looked over she was smiling?! Maybe she thinks Reiji is sleeping on his side XP. If Elen found out that Reiji did die I hope she would be crying. I refuse to let her cry only for Scythe Master.

Still, I liked the series overall.
Sep 27, 2009 4:25 PM

May 2009
Jacut said:
Huh, is the score for the series right? 8.35? It's a joke isn't it? It doesn't deserve a score of 7.35 even, how can a majority of people rate it 8 or above? It simply defies all logic for me.

The direction, which was solid and creative in the beginning became increasingly slower, weaker and conventional, just like the animation became inconsistent, the script was full of holes and badly executed after the first part (near episode 10), and overall, most of the characters have been under-developped and under-used (Claudia, Cal and Ein for example). Honestly, everything after the first part of the anime has been a huge pain to watch, especially the very last arc in Japan. And even then, the last two episodes were all but satisfying, and most of the resolutions were bad (Cal's death, Scythe Master and the new Phantoms' battle etc...) if you except the final scene which was interesting and fitting enough.

It clearly doesn't deserve more than a 7, since it's one of the weakest Koichi Mashimo/Bee Train I have seen these last few years (Tsubasa Chronicle and even Blade of the Immortal were better, and I would tie it with .hack//Roots and Avenger). So it's just logical that I'm rating it 6/10, mainly for the few good episodes of the show before the first time-skip.

Airitoizzy said:
Soo Elen is Alive O_o

Of course the probabilities that she's alive are extremely high, which part of the episode made you think she isnt'? In the ending scene, absolutely nothing suggests she dies, she just lies in a bed of flowers since she's happy that she's in her home country for the first time in 5 years and that everything ended well, nothing more. She's got no weapon, no lethal tool, nothing to commit suicide, and judging on the scene, she probably doesn't even know until after the ending that Reiji has been killed. Another fact is that there is but one bullet shell on the ground, so the assassin didn't shoot her. Seriously, how can you deduce that she's dead? If you look properly at the facts and analyze what's on the screen, you should know that (and that this serie is average at most, you don't really have to conjecture or deduce anything to know that :)).

Her lifeless body at the very end
and because i think she deserve to die like Reiji brainwashed or not she is was an assassins she used innocent persons like Mio killed many persons as Scythe said u will go to hell like me
Elen agreed Only Cal seemed regretting both Reiji and Elen not
Scythe line is from Cherry Blossom ending in which if i remember correctly Elen dies
aniway Elen supporters can hope she is alive and start a new Life
Requiem for the Phantom is the show was Elen a Phantom too 1+1 = R.I.P.

Sep 27, 2009 4:30 PM

Mar 2008
The new Phantoms didn't live up to their names and expectations. The impression Scythe gave off was that they were far superior to Elen, Reiji, and Cal, yet they were easily destroyed. I didn't like the obvious foreshadow of the ending [Zero Requiem]. It didn't strike me surprisingly as I'd like. Another disliked event was how someone was able to find the two in a ghost land.

This series was excellent for me. It's been some time since a series [Code Geass] got me hooked. One thing that kept this from a perfect score was the returned Cal part. It felt unnecessary and wasted some potential on three or four episodes. Saving the best for last, I liked the Reiji that worked for Claudia. He was THE package.

9.5 rounded to 10.
XizelSep 27, 2009 4:46 PM
Sep 27, 2009 4:31 PM

Jul 2008
wait wut..
lolz unexpected end...
Why she lives n not Reiji??!
well w.e 7/10
rly liked the assassin theme but the eding n some episodes were a bit .... to meh
Sep 27, 2009 4:32 PM

Aug 2008
This was nothing less than a journey. The first arc was average in general and the stupid little mistakes in the details kept bugging me (basically the "I could be a better assassin" effect). With that said, towards the end of the first arc the show got quite good but that got ruined with the "Reiji rageshoots SM but hits Eren" scene.

As hilarious the "Reiji the pimp" arc started, those were probably the best episodes of the show. Not that I grew fond of Cal, but at least the show got fresh a bit and little less predictable.

Then came the third/Drei arc. Oh boy. When the new ALI Project OP looks decent compared to the actual show, something is wrong. This final was enjoyable, but the rest of the arc was a trainwreck. Beetrainwreck, they have much experience when it comes to failing. This is still one of there best work though.

Did Eren die in the end? Dunno, doncare. Phantom ~ Requiem for a failed assassin anime gets 7/10, and I would call it a strong average.

btw the series would have been better with 24 eps and no recaps
KvakondSep 27, 2009 4:38 PM
Sep 27, 2009 4:34 PM

Feb 2009
I guess assassins are like instruments, hand-made will always be better than mass manufactured.

Very well executed ending, I couldn't have hoped for better since I'm not watching this show for smiles. If only the rest of the series was like this maybe I would've cared a bit more about everyone's fate. Gonna raise my score from 4/10 to 5/10 just for this ending. The show overall had its good moments and some well thought ideas but the execution was flawed most of the time and it felt like soap.

(Oh and where's CC?)
Sep 27, 2009 4:36 PM

Apr 2008
Wow. Started out decent and grew on me as it went on. Surprised at the ending to say the least.

I'll get technical on this one and say 8.5 rounded to 9/10.
Sep 27, 2009 4:43 PM

Mar 2008
And...

Inferno wasn't involved in this as much as I thought. McGuire should have had something coming at him in the end. Inferno was merely the incomplete background, I'd rather it get swapped with Scythe or become the main part itself along with Scythe. It'd then be better than a show within a show run by an antagonist.
Sep 27, 2009 4:49 PM

Oct 2008
Great ending, and a great series overall, I'm giving it 9,5/10 (would be higher if it wasn't for the recaps).
Sep 27, 2009 4:54 PM

Jun 2009
Airitoizzy said:
Jacut said:
Huh, is the score for the series right? 8.35? It's a joke isn't it? It doesn't deserve a score of 7.35 even, how can a majority of people rate it 8 or above? It simply defies all logic for me.

The direction, which was solid and creative in the beginning became increasingly slower, weaker and conventional, just like the animation became inconsistent, the script was full of holes and badly executed after the first part (near episode 10), and overall, most of the characters have been under-developped and under-used (Claudia, Cal and Ein for example). Honestly, everything after the first part of the anime has been a huge pain to watch, especially the very last arc in Japan. And even then, the last two episodes were all but satisfying, and most of the resolutions were bad (Cal's death, Scythe Master and the new Phantoms' battle etc...) if you except the final scene which was interesting and fitting enough.

It clearly doesn't deserve more than a 7, since it's one of the weakest Koichi Mashimo/Bee Train I have seen these last few years (Tsubasa Chronicle and even Blade of the Immortal were better, and I would tie it with .hack//Roots and Avenger). So it's just logical that I'm rating it 6/10, mainly for the few good episodes of the show before the first time-skip.

Airitoizzy said:
Soo Elen is Alive O_o

Of course the probabilities that she's alive are extremely high, which part of the episode made you think she isnt'? In the ending scene, absolutely nothing suggests she dies, she just lies in a bed of flowers since she's happy that she's in her home country for the first time in 5 years and that everything ended well, nothing more. She's got no weapon, no lethal tool, nothing to commit suicide, and judging on the scene, she probably doesn't even know until after the ending that Reiji has been killed. Another fact is that there is but one bullet shell on the ground, so the assassin didn't shoot her. Seriously, how can you deduce that she's dead? If you look properly at the facts and analyze what's on the screen, you should know that (and that this serie is average at most, you don't really have to conjecture or deduce anything to know that :)).

and because i think she deserve to die like Reiji brainwashed or not she is was an assassins she used innocent persons like Mio killed many persons as Scythe said u will go to hell like me
Scythe line is from Cherry Blossom ending in which if i remember correctly Elen dies

What did you mean she deserved to DIE? Reiji is the only one that deserves to die in the end. =_= -.- wtf?
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Sep 27, 2009 5:13 PM

May 2009
kerobear said:
Airitoizzy said:
Jacut said:

Airitoizzy said:
Soo Elen is Alive O_o

What did you mean she deserved to DIE? Reiji is the only one that deserves to die in the end. =_= -.- wtf?

For me throught its only an anime an assassin is an assassin
even if cared for Cal because of her past background she deserved to die because she choose to became an evil and kill innocents
this anime could not have an happy ending because all the characters Elen Reiji Cal
acted wrong Reiji himself admitted in my wrongful life
about the Hell trip Elen agreed with Scythe
Cal said there is no redemption for me she was conscious of her mistakes after all
i can' t see regrets in Elen and Reiji
i don't want to argue about an anime through expecially with a Friend
last thing i liked Reiji a lot in the anime but still i thought he deserved to die
its not about Elen Cal or Reiji its the concept of killing persons itself that made me thinking this way Plus in the VN Elen was the one who wanted to fulfill soul redemption in this ending she failed in DDT not

Sep 27, 2009 5:19 PM

Jun 2009

For me throught its only an anime an assassin is an assassin
even if cared for Cal because of her past background she deserved to die because she choose to became an evil and kill innocents
this anime could not have an happy ending because all the characters Elen Reiji Cal
acted wrong Reiji himself admitted in my wrongful life
about the Hell trip Elen agreed with Scythe
Cal said there is no redemption for me she was conscious of her mistakes after all
i can' t see regrets in Elen and Reiji
i don't want to argue about an anime through expecially with a Friend
last thing i liked Reiji a lot in the anime but still i thought he deserved to die
its not about Elen Cal or Reiji its the concept of killing persons itself that made me thinking this way Plus in the VN Elen was the one who wanted to fulfill soul redemption in this ending she failed in DDT not

Okay , i seriously don't bother on arguing Cal VS Eren, or whatsoever. Regret or no regret, this is an anime not real life, even if she was an assassin, she "died" in the end already. End of Story
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Sep 27, 2009 5:21 PM

Jun 2007
Jacut said:
Airitoizzy said:
Soo Elen is Alive O_o

I have to agree. Reiji was assassinated by Inferno because he deserted them and they where still hunting him down. Similar to how Claudia was hunted down and ultimately shot by her friend and subordinate. Elen wasn't shot because she wasn't an Inferno member, only a middle man..a highered gun if you will.

I suspect Elen turned and smiled because she thought Reiji was relaxing. Before he gets shot he says "There is still one promise I must keep..someday... to find your true smile", so I think it's fitting that while he's laying there on the ground and his mind starts fading away, he gets to see her true smile. That part where she's smiling and it seems like it lasts forever is actually his point of view I believe. Her smile is embedded into his eyes as he dies. She probably wont notice he's dead till later.

PS. guy in the carriage looks similar to the guy who gave them directions on how to get to that field.
Sep 27, 2009 5:25 PM
Jun 2009
Eren should NOT die and also she does NOT deserve to die
Sep 27, 2009 5:28 PM

Oct 2007
kona-chu said:
Eren should NOT die and also she does NOT deserve to die

she didnt ^^ everthing else is fiction
Sep 27, 2009 5:39 PM

Aug 2008
Hilarious end. I said a few discussions back that I wanted everyone dead, but thought it would be a bittersweet, ray of hope ending. This is pretty much a mix of the two, and since it was Reiji that got shot (pretty ridiculous, I agree) and bit the bullet, I had quite a chuckle.

SM's name of Helmut von Giuseppe is pretty dumb. I'm not familiar with every German or Italian surname, but "von Giuseppe"? Is that even possible? Maybe it's yet another fake name, but I doubt it. I think this speaks to the show's weak usage of different cultures all together. For one, we have SM as a whole, the entire depiction of America and organized crime (I especially mean to focus on the Bloodies, and that guy who was the leader), the use of Ein as a name in a scheme that is supposed to be number focused, and the pretty lazy way of making Ein Mongolian by way of China, and not really using it as opposed to all the other characters' heritage in the show (most likely an excuse to have her character designed a certain way). Also, what was SM talking about when he said Elen couln't without having orders? She had already killed a lot of people just that night before making it to him without having to be told by anyone. For a man with a doctorate in Psychology, he's not as perceptive as he made himself out to be. Or you could just say that he died because he need to. Either/or.

Those were the little things that made me shake my head or go wtf. Overall, it was an ok episode.

As a whole, I stated most of my thoughts last week, and they echo much of what Jacut and Aeterna said. The show started rather strong, and just faded because of the choice to use all of the characters as props for the plot rather than driving forces that felt organic. Ein was perhaps the closest to feeling like a character that naturally developed, but again, the whole "I went to SM back then because I loved you" thing was rather convenient. Since there was a 2 year gap between arc 2 and 3, she could have stood to have better integrated Elen and Ein to actually mark a change.

Somewhere between 5 and 6, but I'll go with a 6/10.

PS:
I thought this was miles better than the garbage that was Blade of the Immortal.
Sep 27, 2009 5:43 PM

Nov 2007
Adequate ending.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Sep 27, 2009 5:48 PM

Apr 2009
I like the way it ended.. But somewhere in the back of my mind i want to cry for Reiji's death. So i get the feeling Elen is dead too. Im sure she would have freaked out about Reiji..

So everyone is dead.. Except that sexy guy with the purple hair. McGuire was it? He is sexy.
Sep 27, 2009 5:52 PM

Nov 2008
Elen's death is left up to the fans imagination...

Sep 27, 2009 5:59 PM

Sep 2009
Now that I'm a bit sleepy, I'll write just a few things.

Not to start a Cal vs. Elen fight or debate, I don't like them so... Please try to understand what I mean there.

Well, Elen really didn't deserve to die! She wasn't herself when she worked assassin. She was badly manipulated by Scythe. Please check the first ten episodes for that!

Elen IS by far the purest of them. Even after that horrible way of life, she fell in love, she found Christianity. Despite being heavily brainwashed, she still managed to regain her feelings.

In the series, Elen is on the way of changing her world. She's trying to get into a world where her whole purpose and meaning of life may change. It's a very big gamble for her and one has to be very strong for that kind of change.

Elen might think of using Mio, yeah. Still, she didn't want to harm her. She didn't want to destroy her innocent world like some certain person did. She's not cruel and she's not turned on by hatred for anyone.

No matter how many infos about Cal skipped in VN... I've also played the VN. Let me say this. Even with the background info of Cal's family and her psychology, her reasons for revenge and hatred is still not good enough. Also her picking up on Elen is pretty mean. She didn't do anything to harm her, did she? Meh...

Elen only draw her gun cos she was provoked.

I'm sure that both Elen and Reiji are dead btw... Though I'll just forget that the last two minutes happened and live in my own denial happily, lol xD
SpinelplusSep 27, 2009 6:03 PM
Sep 27, 2009 6:00 PM

May 2008
Well...nice cameo from Mr.McGuire. I missed seeing him.

The ending just has me...baffled. Really now..I know the title is called 'Requiem for the Phantom', but did it have to happen RIGHT at the very end? Eh..I suppose so. I'm still in shock as to how Reiji got fucking shot and didn't have his guard up like he always does. I guess he figured he didn't need it up since Scythe was killed (which I'm happy about). I knew there was something fishy about that wagon driver...god dammit.

And if Elen died or not..I'll never know :/ If she's dead, she's dead. If she isn't, she isn't. I find it odd beyond imagine that she didn't know Reiji like..fell over. Come on now. Would someone who was just relaxing really make such a huge 'THUD' sound and be alright? I don't think so.

Oh well. For an assassin type anime (which I'm never all too fond of), this series blew me away. I actually really enjoyed it and I'm sort of sad to see it be over. None the less, 8.5/10.

Sep 27, 2009 6:02 PM

Apr 2008
Shancakeschan said:
I like the way it ended.. But somewhere in the back of my mind i want to cry for Reiji's death. So i get the feeling Elen is dead too. Im sure she would have freaked out about Reiji..

So everyone is dead.. Except that sexy guy with the purple hair. McGuire was it? He is sexy.

Yah I'm pretty sure that with their epic powers she would have at least noticed after at a shot went off. Unless they both lost their epic powas and she just thought he was "takin a nap" for a really long time.

Mcguire seems like a douche. Because he is. But he has sexy bath scene powers. And wine drinking skills.

Dec 2008
noteDhero said:
SM's name of Helmut von Giuseppe is pretty dumb. I'm not familiar with every German or Italian surname, but "von Giuseppe"? Is that even possible? Maybe it's yet another fake name, but I doubt it.

LOL I didn't even notice that. I'll have to ask someone German about it xD

Shancakeschan said:

Sexy, yes, but also pointless -_-;; In terms of the show, he was nothing more than a figurehead.
Sep 2009
i guess no one else noticed the last of his 6 phantoms shown as they left. elen only beat her up didnt shoot or stab her......
Sep 27, 2009 6:04 PM

Apr 2009
whoaa.. the ending is sad but somehow.. it's the thing that makes it a masterpiece to me.. story - 9.. animation - 10.. sound -10.. characters - 9.. enjoyment - 10.. 9.6 of 10.. so it's 10.. but seriously.. had elen been left alive, i would have gave it a lower score.. good thing there is her lying down happy with a bullet somewhere in the end.. the requiem of the phantom fits it..
argiliumSep 27, 2009 7:29 PM
Sep 27, 2009 6:17 PM

Jul 2009
Aeterna said:
Shancakeschan said:

Sexy, yes, but also pointless -_-;; In terms of the show, he was nothing more than a figurehead.

Who cares if he is pointless? He is sexy and FAPULOUS. Thanks to him, female viewers, or even males, can have some enjoyment in this otherwise dark grim ep ;)

Date Masamune: " RET'S FAP GUYZ ! PUT YA GUNS ON !!!"
BitchMasterSep 27, 2009 6:20 PM

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Sep 27, 2009 6:25 PM

Jan 2009
Nadistu said:

But I have to say....Reiji seems to have gotten so weak =...he got so wounded and everything when he only went up against two of scythe masters "new creations" while Elen was perfectly fine after taking out that whole mob AND taking out the two guarding Scythe Master....Ugh...
....= I'm just kinda bummed

Reji was facing 2 with assault rifles and Elen faced two with knives. I think reji had a harder time.
Sep 27, 2009 6:43 PM
Apr 2008
I am impartial to this ending. The new set of Phantoms pretty much sucked ass and got killed in no time at all, especially the one that simply took a beating from Elen and died anyways. After the killing of Scythe Master, the ending looked brighter until the unknown man on a cart in Mongolia shot and killed Reiji, which was perhaps the most anticlimactic ending of the season and maybe even the year. I do give credit that they actually ended it the way they did and I know it could be a lot worse. Personally, I'd rather have an ending where both Reiji and Elen die, but that's just me.

Anyways, it's nice every once in a while to have a scene in anime NOT set in Japan.

Overall 6/10. Under average and inconsistent animation, Cal's arc, this ending, and shady storytelling were the low points of the series, but few strong characters and innovative plot were well enough.

I would not be surprised if there were an OVA series or 2nd season, even though it would be relatively horrible and most likely wouldn't happen as I believe that Phantom did not do well enough commercially.
HappyPearSep 27, 2009 6:47 PM
Sep 27, 2009 6:51 PM

Apr 2008
not a bad way to end the series ...

Do Elen know that Reiji got killed ?! o_O

Sep 27, 2009 6:52 PM

Nov 2007
Aeterna said:
Falatorx said:
They just got done defeating the best assassins created by the genius of the field and then he is killed by some old man riding by on a horse? Anti-clamatic at best. If they were going to kill them off, i would have rather seen them fighting like 30 of those assassins and then die together killing scythe master in an epic scene.

LOL I have to agree. But then again, a lot of things in this anime didn't make sense in terms of "power levels" (can't think of a better term for it, sorry ^^). For example, I wish they made better use of that team of Phantoms - for Phantoms trained to be as good as Ein and Zwei, they sure got taken out pretty easily. It felt like they were only introduced to make the final battle feel more like a final battle and nothing more.

Jacut said:
[...]and overall, most of the characters have been under-developped and under-used (Claudia, Cal and Ein for example).

I have to agree with this, as well, and I think this was one of the bigger issues for me. In order for me to like an anime, I have to like the characters. If I don't, then I probably will not like it. I felt that Phantom's characters were terribly under-used and they could have delved much further into who they were, what they thought and felt, and their development. Consequently, I hardly felt anything for, well, any of the characters because I honestly didn't care >.>

As for Elen's "death", I took it to be metaphorical. Because only one shot was fired and it was Reiji who fell, I take it to mean that it was he who died (why Elen was not also shot is beyond me, but anyway...) Reiji was the only one who truly understood her as Elen - not an assassin, and not as the fake personality she put on at school during the third arc. And don't they say that someone is live, just as long as there is someone to remember them? With Reiji gone, if Elen dies, no one would remember her as she truly is and thus, metaphorically, she is dead already. Moreover, Reiji was the one who always supported her and kept her going. Therefore, with Reiji gone, there was no one else for her and she really had nothing else to live for, so again, she is metaphorically dead.

Unless she really is physically dead, and in that case....I don't know >.>

Overall, the episode was done fairly well. I still feel that the six Phantom team wasn't used to its full potential and so it just felt contrived - it was pretty clear that Elen and Reiji were going to defeat them, and then move on to SM, so I spent that part of the episode just waiting it out. SM really was an interesting character, if only for his eccentricities, so again, he's another case of an under-developed character. When I watched him this episode, I asked myself, "Why don't we know more about this guy?" and then wondered what this show would have been like if it was from his perspective rather than Reiji's (then again...it would probably just be a lot of weird "puppet" molestation scenes LOL)

For the series as a whole, I'm pretty much in agreement with Jacut. Phantom could have been a lot more, but it wasn't and felt rather underwhelming. The direction was inconsistent, the characters were underused and under-developed, and who could forget the weird "songasm"? It gets points for an interesting premise, some interesting developments in the first arc (that never really got finished or explored further), some solid animation, and a decent character or two (even if they weren't used to their full potentials, such as Claudia or Cal). So, overall, Phantom could have been a lot better if handled a different way. 6/10.

Just quoting your entire thing because you said everything I wanted to say about this series. I liked it, but it definitely had flaws. 6/10.
Sep 27, 2009 7:08 PM

Mar 2008
orangehouse said:
not a bad way to end the series ...

Do Elen know that Reiji got killed ?! o_O

This type of ending leaves the rest to you. I say yes. She knew they'll die [eventually] because of who they are. You can make inferences but that's about it.
Sep 27, 2009 7:10 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
lol ending.

I guess they fulfilled their dreams at the end. So Reiji didn't mind dying anyway.

Pretty unsatisfying ending....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 27, 2009 7:14 PM

Jul 2009
ragnaroks said:
knockngoc said:
That was a sad ending. I didn't quite like the ending with all the characters dieing...I guess thats one way to make sure there is no season 2 with the same characters if everyone dies...But in general, the episode was good. Finally got some good action. But again, everyone dies. Thats just a sad and twisted way to end things. Reminds me of Elfen Lied, she goes through so much pain, and in the end she croaks.

So you just want assassins to be alive for eternity stealing other people's life? The ending was fine. Use common sense, assassins take thousands of other people's life and they don't deserved to be punished?

As much as I hate to see them die (I like both Reiji/Elen/Cal) but use your common knowledge. They are assassins.

Ok, I won't deny the fact that the did kill other people but they were brain washed. Plus, it reminds me of one of the quotes said. It was along the lines of, if you didn't kill them, another assassin would kill them. Plus the scenario reminds me of Rurouni Kenshin. Not really but the idea is that he killed hundreds of people. And he regrets it. They regret it (kind of, but they were brain-washed). And I certainly loved Kenshin Himura, I would not want him dead! The one to be punished is Sythe Master, which he was, thank goodness he didn't get away again!
Sep 27, 2009 7:29 PM
Apr 2009
This is true to genre of this Anime... Regi caused a lot of people to suffer, Cal, Elen , etc...

In the end there needed to be retribution .... I'm pleased that is not the standard happy ending...

He also fulfilled his mission in life which was to make Elen to "truly" smile... Awesome anime, one of the best of its kind...
Sep 27, 2009 7:50 PM

Jul 2007
Damn Mongolians... causing the anime community to think of possibilities of what could have happened...
Sep 27, 2009 8:03 PM

Sep 2007
So this is some Code Geass end mirite? Everybody's too damn busy thinking if Reiji or Elen is going to be busy driving some wagon in some backwater country having avoided their deaths at the end of the episode.
Sep 27, 2009 8:06 PM

Nov 2008
Wasabi said:
So this is some Code Geass end mirite? Everybody's too damn busy thinking if Reiji or Elen is going to be busy driving some wagon in some backwater country having avoided their deaths at the end of the episode.

Yes, it was Lelouch who shot Reiji.
And i see a OVA series in the future about what happened in those six months where Reiji and Elen was on the run...

Sep 27, 2009 9:01 PM

Jul 2007
Alright ending though kinda mix feelings. With just some random guy passing by, then killing one of them (who ever he shot). A better ending with them dieing, having to fight off tons of phantoms would of been much more appealing to me.
Sep 27, 2009 9:48 PM

Jan 2008
Well, I personally enjoyed this last episode with all the kick-ass action. But then the fighting and shooting was over...I'm glad the makers fulfilled my expectations, giving viewers an ambiguous, yet very suggesting ending. There are several ways of looking at the ending, but the two most prominent was these two...

Ending thus far:
- Reiji gets shot (fact)...chance of survival: about 50/50, because he once survived several bullet wounds to the chest and plunged into the ocean, or some kind of body of water, unless he was shot in the head or critical area like his heart or lung. However with the equipment they have on them, his only hope of surviving the bullet wound would be Elen saving him like he did for her...
- Elen smiles, looks back, fades away (image only) and is seen eyes open laying on the grass, without signs of breathing (no chest movement noticeable), although many anime titles don't show this at all...(because they're lazy and have to draw more panels)

My conclusion (not going to refer to the game as it'll deter my opinion) :

- Scenario 1: Reiji survives because Elen notices after getting up and saving him. They live happily ever after.
- Scenario 2: Reiji gets shot critically and dies (happily after seeing her smile). Elen notices, and saw this coming, and dies too, but with no regrets (the elergy-like metaphoric flower with missing petal, done intentionally). Second shot fired from mystery man impossible (fact: one silent shot fired, one bullet shell casing remains, Elen prefers to carry a revolver if she were to still carry a gun). Justification for suicide: her reason to survive and live longer after her time spent with Reiji has been fulfilled/ previous episodes state her purpose was meaningless without Reiji alive in her life. Elen goes as far as to state she would sooner die if he ever left this world (not exact words, but same context).

Both don't want to live without the other, but both want the other to live even without them (fact), therefore, they decide to live for one another.

The second scenario is most likely. If so, The makers of Requiem for the Phantom would have given the strongly implied classic Romeo & Juliet tragic ending (Hamlet if you count Cal, Claudia, and Lizzy, Scythe, except for Mio); a very beautiful tragedy fitting this genre where most, if not all the main characters and supporting characters have either already died or never to be mentioned again. (I feel sorry for Mio that she'll never see Reiji again, but oh well). I hope at the very least Reiji and Elen had fun like making love during the 6 month intermission...if so, he'd know if she was a virgin or not, also the possibility of her working in a brothel would rise....Scythe is unlikely, as he seems to be just a perverted freak with oil on nudity and mask fetish. So 10/10 as I loved it from beginning to end...despite my romantic side craving for a happy ending. I doubt we'll see more as they intentionally left it ambiguous but strongly implied.
Sep 27, 2009 10:33 PM

Oct 2007
You totally expect Reiji to get shot at the end. You just have to. I mean, really. Random carriage comes by in the middle of nowhere. Reiji standing there, facing the other way. He's gonna get shot, he's gonna get shot, he's gonna get shot... yep, he gets shot.

What's up with the people who think Elen wouldn't kill herself after Reiji dies? You think she will continue living with absolutely nothing left for her? Pfft...
Sep 27, 2009 10:45 PM

Feb 2009
Poor Reiji, totally didn't see that coming

Though I'm happy Elen survived, it's just not the same without Reiji. Anyway, this was a pretty good show with very few letdowns (hell every epd ended in some kind of cliffhanger). Solid 9/10 from me.
Sep 27, 2009 10:59 PM

Feb 2008
I expected them to always die cause you just don't leave an underworld organisation without getting killed. But even though I was expecting it, I was hoping they would.

Reiji's death is lame, getting shot in the back bye a random passerbye. Though guess that's the only way you could've killed him cause he was to strong in a 1 on 1.

Now I can always delude myself in thinking they survived seeing Reiji even survived mutliple shots before like my hero 2Pac once did but I think the message in itself is clear enough that he did. Ein is the most ambiguous, I really don't know if she did or not but reading the comments it does seem the bigger possibility is that she did also.

All in all a great show with some flaws like some pointed out, Cal beeing the biggest one seeing I always thougth their battle was meaningless in itself and I would've expected Reiji & Elen to escape and cover their tracks a bit better then beeing found out on the spot while moving to different places. I can understand them beeing found if they'd been staying in the same place but not if they were moving to different...
Arata84Sep 27, 2009 11:21 PM
Sep 27, 2009 11:42 PM

Aug 2009
Well to me it seemed quite obvious Reijji was shot and the reason Elen smiled was because she knew they didnt have to run anymore and the fact that her last thoughts were that her life was complete finally. The part where she was laying on the floor is obvioulsy her dead if she was alive she wouldnt have her mouth open and her eyes would have a bit of a shine to them and the fact she was way too still.... And anyway she disapeared so that kind of shows she died too. But i can see confusion if she died or not due to the fact we only saw 1 bulletshell and we dont know if the flower could kill her.
Sep 27, 2009 11:55 PM
Nov 2008
WTF...WTF....and...WTF!???

Dude..at the LAST second..-__-..this..totally..argh..well...all in all i loved this anime..but i HATE these kind of endings >_<
Sep 28, 2009 12:03 AM

May 2009
The final episode was pretty good until the "drive-by" shooting at the end. Well, if they were going to kill Reiji, it was for the best that Elen be taken out too. Taking away the only thing that mattered to her and leaving her alone would be cruel.

Can't help but feel disappointment since the show started out so strong.
Sep 28, 2009 12:34 AM

Feb 2009
Well I guess they couldn't mess this up any more than this. This show started as an average show but it got better after a few episodes. The writer probably had come up with a nice idea to begin with but that's as far as he's got with the idea. This show ran out of any good and original idea way too early. So many plot holes and cliched ideas made this a very predictable and boring show as it went on. I give it a 6/10 and that only thanks to some good episodes closer to the beginning of the show.

Sep 28, 2009 12:36 AM

Jan 2009
Kazuzu said:
Well to me it seemed quite obvious Reijji was shot and the reason Elen smiled was because she knew they didnt have to run anymore and the fact that her last thoughts were that her life was complete finally. The part where she was laying on the floor is obvioulsy her dead if she was alive she wouldnt have her mouth open and her eyes would have a bit of a shine to them and the fact she was way too still.... And anyway she disapeared so that kind of shows she died too. But i can see confusion if she died or not due to the fact we only saw 1 bulletshell and...

Er, no, that's not what her last thought was. She says "These memories are enough for me to continue living." and I don't think she meant for another minute or so.

Her eyes look like they always look when she is not in "killer mode". If she was dead, the light reflection in her pupil would have been completely gone, and her eyes would have had a faded look.
She looks like she is just watching the clouds go by. You're body doesn't need to be moving to do that, since you typically just lay on your back and look up. And rarely do you see an animated character inhaling and exhaling.

I just don't think she knows Reiji has been shot. She's way to absorbed in her surroundings, and we don't know how close they were to each other.

we dont know if the flower could kill her.

Yes we do. They are geraniums that are found in the mountains of Mongolia:

No part of their anatomy is poisonous.
Sep 28, 2009 12:42 AM

Sep 2008
Piece of Shit is what that ending was still 10/10 for keeping me entertained the whole way through the anime... Cant believe this shit...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 28, 2009 12:47 AM

Sep 2008
That's what happens! That bastard shouldn't have killed my Cal. Reji and Elen both deserves to die!
Go Watch Sumomo momo Its epic. It has not gotten much attention... Episode 1
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v83597095dreGdW#comments
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikiyo - Apr 3, 2009

171 by defaulticus »»
Mar 17, 3:51 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ckam - Jul 20, 2009

71 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:13 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Cheesyhoboe - Apr 23, 2009

116 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.