Forum Settings
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2014 8:33 PM

Jul 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
That was quite a disappointing yet satisfying end. I don't really see a reason to an epilogue but the final chapter, showing us why Nakamura was like that, made it easier for us to understand her and the things she did in the beginning of the story.
Really great manga with a thrilling story. Easily one of the better mangas of modern day. 8/10
May 19, 2014 11:31 PM

Oct 2012
i was confused with the ending >.<

she meets him and says wut are you doing?
May 20, 2014 3:13 AM
Mar 2009
I didn't really get what was happening. Was that what she saw for real, like she had some kind of schizophrenic disease or were the flies symbolic?

I did lke it, but I kinda wished for a happy ending between Nakamura and Kasuga. I don't know why, but I kind of liked Nakamura and I wished she would not only be free from her"demons" but also found happiness. But I guess that was not really the tone of this manga, and it might be a weird end.
May 20, 2014 3:15 AM

Apr 2010
I might be missing something but...isn't chap 57 the last one? Cause there's already a topic for it lol
May 20, 2014 3:39 AM

Oct 2010
kaname92 said:
I might be missing something but...isn't chap 57 the last one? Cause there's already a topic for it lol

This.

The last chapter (as far as I'm aware) was 57.
May 20, 2014 5:24 AM

Sep 2012
Oshimi Shuuzou strikes again.
May 20, 2014 7:02 AM
Oct 2012
SimmianPrime said:
kaname92 said:

This.

57 is the last chapter but there was an extra chapter at the end of volume 3 that you can probably find labeled as 17.5 somewhere.
May 20, 2014 7:05 AM

Mar 2012
I'm disappointed with the ending in general. For me, its feels like Kasuga just ended up being 'normal', which I think is not fitting for the story imo. I felt kind of sad for Nakumura as well
cajowcjawmcmiaowMay 20, 2014 7:09 AM
May 20, 2014 9:22 AM

Apr 2010
pauperunit said:
I'm disappointed with the ending in general. For me, its feels like Kasuga just ended up being 'normal', which I think is not fitting for the story imo. I felt kind of sad for Nakumura as well

Kind of agree. I think the first "half", basically until the failed suicide scene is where the manga shined the most, at least for my kinda twisted preferences.
May 20, 2014 7:34 PM

Oct 2010
xTech1 said:
SimmianPrime said:
kaname92 said:

This.

57 is the last chapter but there was an extra chapter at the end of volume 3 that you can probably find labeled as 17.5 somewhere.

Still doesn't explain why there's a chapter 58 thread, or why MAL has 58 chapters listed.
May 20, 2014 9:29 PM
Oct 2012
SimmianPrime said:
xTech1 said:
SimmianPrime said:
kaname92 said:

This.

Still doesn't explain why there's a chapter 58 thread, or why MAL has 58 chapters listed.

I thought it explained it fine but let me try again. Seeing as this extra chapter exists it means there are in fact 58 chapters(57 + 1 extra) and so MAL has it listed correctly. Additionally, some people(scan teams) may have labeled 17.5(the extra) as 18 which would mean that the last chapter would have been labeled 58. So wanting to discuss the final chapter someone made a thread based on how the chapter they read was numbered. That's one possibility at least. Otherwise maybe someone just labeled the thread based on the MAL chapter count which as I said earlier is technically right.
May 21, 2014 4:44 AM

Oct 2010
xTech1 said:
SimmianPrime said:
xTech1 said:
SimmianPrime said:
kaname92 said:

This.

I thought it explained it fine but let me try again. Seeing as this extra chapter exists it means there are in fact 58 chapters(57 + 1 extra) and so MAL has it listed correctly. Additionally, some people(scan teams) may have labeled 17.5(the extra) as 18 which would mean that the last chapter would have been labeled 58. So wanting to discuss the final chapter someone made a thread based on how the chapter they read was numbered. That's one possibility at least. Otherwise maybe someone just labeled the thread based on the MAL chapter count which as I said earlier is technically right.

The scan group that did the extra labeled it as extra 17.5 and it is listed as such on Batoto and even in the official volume. If that chapter deserved it's own thread on here then it should be "chapter 17.5 discussion".

The extra chapter is not a chapter, it's an extra. If it was a chapter then it wouldn't be called an extra. Next I suppose omakes will be getting proper chapter number status on here. There are 57 chapters and one extra.
May 22, 2014 1:21 AM

Oct 2011
felt somewhat ripped off by the second arc of the manga - waited so long for nakamura to reappear, and when she finally did, it was a huge anti-climax - kind of makes me wonder if shuuzou-san meant for it to end after the first arc, but then the manga became much more popular than he expected, and then was talked into continuing it - reminds me of how i felt about the ending of sakamichi no apollon or another (wished this would have somehow ended more psychotically or interestingly), but then i'm a twisted bastard who loves the dark stuff - happy endings never feel very satisfying......now i can catch up with all the other shuuzou works i'm currently reading - even though i feel like i got ripped off a bit, i enjoyed the hell out of the ride - 9 o' 10 (would have been an automatic 10 with a better ending).....
octal9May 22, 2014 1:26 AM
May 22, 2014 1:24 AM

Oct 2011
Rizzles said:
Oshimi Shuuzou strikes again.
the man really loves to f@#k with our heads (part of what makes him great)..........
Feb 8, 2015 4:16 AM

Aug 2014
Read this while listening to Explosions of the Sky's The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place. Fucking feels.
While I was hoping for a depressing ending (I even cheered for the suicide), I'm okay with the happy ending.

This was like a pocket version of Oyasumi Punpun. Me like.
Sep 29, 2016 3:39 PM

Oct 2014
So this is it. We got to see nakamura-san's perspective at last. Overall I enjoyed it immensely. 9/10
Sep 29, 2016 9:09 PM

Mar 2015
I honestly don't know if I hould give this a 5 or a 8-9. Buy hey, at least it didn't leave me indifferent.

I didn't really like the ending. Another thing that I hated was how the author sometimes portrayed human psyche. Like, it wasn't realistic at all and it annoyed the fuck out of me.

I hated Takao before the timeskip. Being so obsessed and masochist towards Nakamura really threw me off.

One thing I did like tho was the manga's originality. I was pretty amazed at some of the events that occured. The trashing of the classroom for instance is one of the most epic moments I've seen in all anime/manga.

Another good thing is that the plot was really unpredictable, which is a huge plus for me.

All in all, it was quite the... interesting read lol. I finished it in like a couple of days. Was really a page-turner for me. I often found myself pretty frustrated with Takao's retarded decisions but overall I don't regret at all reading this manga.

Oh, btw, a new manga by that author is being released monthly. It's called Happiness and imo it's pretty fucking dope. The art is really trippy and the plot is solid thus far. Check it out if you wanna know more about that author's works. (;
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Nov 9, 2016 1:56 PM
Nov 2015
I loved first half and hated second. Removing Nakamura from the story was a big mistake.
Sep 7, 2017 6:24 AM

Mar 2013
I think this is the most suitable ending. I felt a bit bored with the second part of this manga as well, when Takao moved to another city but if we think of it, this is how life is. I mean, Takao was in a complicated puberty and he had to move with his family and start again in another high school, and so on... but he have never forgotten all he lived in his past, but Takao aged and faced the past. Nakamura and Saeki, both lived their lifes as well. Surely both lived in the best possible way.
At the end, it's not such a bad ending.
Mar 21, 2018 6:31 AM

Nov 2014
I ended up staying up late last night finishing Aku no Hana. Shuzo Oshimi really knows how to write a page turner. This story was more of a psychological deconstruction than a traditional narrative, meaning that it prioritized ideas over characterization and realism. I interpreted the story as a nightmare—or a fantasy depending on your sexual proclivities—about feeling imprisoned in normality, and desperately wanting to escape by any means necessary. I really enjoyed it, and I'm glad that it ended how it did. If Kasuga hadn't realized the need to reconcile his past sins, and be content with the side he was on, he would've just ended up dead.
Mar 28, 2018 2:43 PM

Sep 2017
This manga gave some feels, but overall, it wasn't quite good at all. It had an okay plot and the final chapters were a bit of quick writing and pushing in emotional content just because. Have I learned or understood anything from this manga? Hell no.

Only thing I can appreciate the manga for is teaching me that some people are more messed up than we are. That's it.

5/10.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Aug 28, 2018 3:51 AM

Jan 2018
It hurts.... It really hurts.... Since i started to read masterpieces from Shuuzou Oshimi, that pain when i finished reading his manga is really big. Hard to describe it... I just found that manga has a magic to catch reader much more intensively in to deep of story then anime. With combination of absolutely amazing art-work by sensei together that combination is like made a diamond.

But back to Aku no Hana, all the time i was hoping that, Takao Kasuga will get a love confession from Sawa Nakamura, still was waiting for it till the very end, unfortunately it hasn't been done... From whole manga the character of Aya Tokiwa for me was like violently pushed in character and she really didn't deserve to end up with Takao-kun. And if not Sawa, then Nanako Saeki deserved to end up with him. No matter what. But once it has been said, we have to accept it.

Love this manga. Must confess, i was reading it for 3 days - i was forced to slow down, because i knew if i finish it earlier will be so down... It didn't help at all. At work, at home... Morning, Noon, Afternoon - all the time i was thinking about it, characters and art. Couldn't be helped, but i need to propably take a break from reading manga. Don't wanna be disappointed from other ones, or be hyped from other ones. Still have in plan read less popular works from Shuuzou-sensei, but right now... Well just need a catch a breath

My signature is coppied from another forum, because currently i don't have nothing better
AlienWare M17X5 (2013-2016), MSI GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO (2016-Presence)
Sep 23, 2018 9:53 PM
Jul 2017
Foi um mangá ótimo de de ldr
Dec 22, 2018 8:51 PM

Jun 2007
MaxVdub said:
so basically she has the main character's affliction from saya no uta; kasuga was her saya

Allynia said:
I didn't really get what was happening. Was that what she saw for real, like she had some kind of schizophrenic disease or were the flies symbolic?

cajowcjawmcmiaow said:

What the above trio said, pretty much.

You'd think a final chapter from Nakamura's PoV would shed some light on her thought process. Instead, she just did her 'shitbug' thing a few times as the artist depicted everyone around her as... shitbugs. Impossible to know if that's how she saw people, or that was just artistic indulgence. She could have an actual mental disorder or fit into Saya no Uta. WHO KNOWS.

A disappointing end but I still enjoyed reading the series more than most others combined. The author is one of the most talented in the manga field; able to show rather than tell and to unnerve with his art; even when dealing with teen angst/lust. I just wish Kasuga had either changed via Nakamura and Saeki directly, or if Nakamura just made more sense, period.
Apr 6, 2019 9:21 AM

Mar 2018
i dont's understand at all
Nov 11, 2019 5:33 AM

Apr 2018
Well this has been a roller coaster of emotions. In the end, Saeki became an asshole to Kasuga lmao; totally glad that he didn't end up with her. Glad that Ai has no anger for Kasuga anymore and Sawa has been living a good life and also for Kasuga
Dec 28, 2019 5:16 PM
Dec 2018
So, basically, Nakamura was borderline crazy but going to her mum sorted her out to a certain extent. Made the first half of the story irrelevant. Saeki, his crush, and the person who did the most to understand his odd behaviour, became some kind of antagonist from mid way and then they introduced a miracle, perfect, girlfriend to tie everything up. There were a lot of interesting ideas flying around in the first half but then everything became a bit too convenient in the second half and it didn't have anything like the same amount of power as the plot in the first half. The Nakamura vs Saeki plot was all it needed, and the second half just moved totally away from that.

Saeki was ruined by knowing those two and, until she cracked, she was the perfect partner for Takao, she couldn't have done more to understand him and all this story told me is that if people want to see everything burn there just isn't any way to to understand them really. Takao's redemption didn't come any more from his new partner than from new circumstances. Had he wised up earlier, and still seen the world in the same way, he would have been fine with Saeki.

Kind of depressing but feels realistic at the same time. But, in the end, it doesn't feel like Takao really learned anything. His parents moved him and then he became a 'normal person', even though he probably hasn't changed that much at all.
Gab5Dec 28, 2019 5:22 PM
Dec 28, 2019 5:30 PM
Dec 2018
CRYPTsakura said:
It hurts.... It really hurts.... Since i started to read masterpieces from Shuuzou Oshimi, that pain when i finished reading his manga is really big. Hard to describe it... I just found that manga has a magic to catch reader much more intensively in to deep of story then anime. With combination of absolutely amazing art-work by sensei together that combination is like made a diamond.

But back to Aku no Hana, all the time i was hoping that, Takao Kasuga will get a love confession from Sawa Nakamura, still was waiting for it till the very end, unfortunately it hasn't been done... From whole manga the character of Aya Tokiwa for me was like violently pushed in character and she really didn't deserve to end up with Takao-kun. And if not Sawa, then Nanako Saeki deserved to end up with him. No matter what. But once it has been said, we have to accept it.

Love this manga. Must confess, i was reading it for 3 days - i was forced to slow down, because i knew if i finish it earlier will be so down... It didn't help at all. At work, at home... Morning, Noon, Afternoon - all the time i was thinking about it, characters and art. Couldn't be helped, but i need to propably take a break from reading manga. Don't wanna be disappointed from other ones, or be hyped from other ones. Still have in plan read less popular works from Shuuzou-sensei, but right now... Well just need a catch a breath

Agreed, the ending, as often is the case, felt a bit rushed. The entire second half, really. Tokiwa was a good character, almost too good for what had gone before, and she felt a bit Deus Ex Machina to me. I suppose that can happen in real life but, to me, the story was set up as a conflict between Nakamura's view of the world and Saeki's, which was changing all the time on both sides. But, then, they introduced this miracle character who had a decent boyfriend but decided to leave him because Takao liked reading books? Is that what it all came down to in the end? The suicide pact and his crush giving him her first time? She left her boyfriend because none of her friends had an interest in books and this guy who hadn't read a book for 2 years suddenly confessed to her? Seems like a cop out after how they had set up the first half. But, still, an interesting story all the same. But i think it could have been better had they focused on Nakamura and Saeki in the second half. By the time that Saeki took his first and Nakamura pushed him off the stage, there was little between their views of the world and it would have been so much better if they had kept going down that road.
Gab5Dec 28, 2019 5:37 PM
Jun 20, 2020 10:25 AM

Mar 2020
not the ending I was expecting, but still satisfied.
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Jul 20, 2020 10:21 PM
Nov 2019
All I have to say is I am disappointed. But I still love it
animeppNov 6, 2020 10:51 AM
Aug 21, 2022 7:32 PM
Aug 2022
peeeeeak una caricia al alma perse
Mar 7, 2023 9:44 AM
Aug 2021
best manha from one of best mangaka
Nov 26, 2023 1:01 AM
Feb 2023
This manga was crazy good

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 46 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KitKatKaz - Jun 6, 2013

82 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 39 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2013

31 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 37 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 2, 2013

31 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:19 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Explicitz - May 14, 2012

85 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 25 Discussion

notsureifsrs - May 14, 2012

38 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 8:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.