Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 26, 2015 6:19 PM
May 2011
why do they keep calling it a theory?

if you can get to every ball and hit it where you want it would be impossible to lose...
Jan 16, 2016 6:40 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Tough blow for Takuma. Being called a prodigy and for someone who we don't know if he was another top player or just another Ei-kun to come and crush you in such a devastating way, yea it's understandable that Takuma would enter a slump.

I wonder why the coach didn't point out to Ei-kun that his footwork needs to be improved. It's also very important since it can help in reaching a ball faster.

Time skip next episode?

Mar 1, 2016 7:48 AM

Aug 2013
Hahaha Takuma really have it tough ot deal with this freak.
Already another tournament huh.. wonder how long it's been since the last.
Apr 29, 2017 7:42 AM

Apr 2009
This is the main reason why this is called "Baby Steps"
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2017 7:49 AM

Apr 2014
i'm loooving this anime so far, the entertainment aspect is definitely 10/10 for me (so far). i really hope this is one of those sports anime where it only gets better with each episode, not worse. it's been a while since i had to force myself to stop from continuing on to the next episode

with that said, just like every other sports (or shounen in general) anime, the MC seems a bit too OP. he is improving wayyy too fast. everyone else has been playing since they were kids and he just shows up out of nowhere with the potential to surpass everyone in less time. i don't mind it though, it makes for a fun watch. if he improved realistically i doubt it would be much fun for anyone to watch

another aspect of this anime that i like is the characters. they're so simple and likable. sports anime tends to have crazy characters that are just way over the top, but this anime has....normal people in it? amazing
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2017 3:11 PM

Jun 2016
Past time skips were done really well but this one felt a little jarring, but still very excusable. It's not like we didn't see the work he's been putting it and how much he's been playing with Takuma. I also really enjoy the dynamic of Maruo's hard work inspiring Takuma, and Takuma's talent teaching Maruo. Despite the fact that not everyone learns nearly as technical as Maruo, I think his outlook on life is something that's beneficial for anyone who can get behind it.
Feb 17, 2019 6:15 PM

Aug 2017
Kind of a lame anime so far. Still makes no sense why the blonde girl would have any interest in MC. MC is a stout chump with a nerdy notebook and fauxhawk. Ugly art too and very little music.

I'm watching in 2.5x speed or more right now.
Feb 21, 2019 8:15 AM
Apr 2016
Seems like Takuma's & Ei-chan's friendship is developing a little, they used to not get along ONE BIT... Cool episode, I liked it more than the previous one.
Nov 18, 2020 4:16 PM

Jul 2017
Yay for self-improvement again! I remember having lessons similar to these when I actually played tennis when I was younger, needing to improve control while being able to freely hit my shot without struggle, and improve my movement/positoning towards the ball as well. So it was nice seeing Maruo learn more in actually controlling and placing his shots towards good positions rather than just hit randomly to the other side to prolong a match and survive. In tennis and badminton, you can go on really lengthy rallies by just surviving and knocking it to the opposition side, but that won't win you games. It's all about finding the right time to strike for the points and to know when and how to place your shots well while adapting to the opposition's power and shots too.

He found that out even more when facing Takuma. Maruo can rely on the theory of control all he wants, but when it comes to actual application, Takuma's variety of power from fast shots to delicate touches when near the net and Maruo's far away from the optimal position to return, makes him too difficult for Maruo now. But what I love about Maruo's character is that he's not disheartened by this, he knows he's still a rookie and far below the person he was aiming to beat, but is utilizing the opportunity to practice with him more, learn more about his training regime, so that he can improve himself to the point where he can then stand somewhat of a chance to compete with him. He's a really determined character while realistic about his outlooks and thought processes as well. Such a great sports protagonist.

I loved the coach in this episode as well. Not too aggressive at Maruo since Maruo is giving it his all while still being a rookie, but he's really trying his best to hone in on Maruo's potential and skills to the best of his abilities early on so that it'll be easier for him to stand up to potential opponents, who've been training for way longer in tennis than Maruo has.
Jun 24, 2021 1:26 PM

Jul 2016
So Takuma acts like a dickhead just because he got a reality check?

Still a 5/5 episode but was honestly expecting something more from his character.
Mar 22, 2022 11:01 AM

Jul 2021
Hoping for Eiichiro's improvements to make them go forward!
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 20, 2023 5:15 PM
May 2020
I figured that Takuma met a wall and lacked the strength to climb it, hence he is bitter.  Makes sense to me.  Summer Break Training is a go!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.