Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 17, 2014 9:42 AM

Apr 2013
I for one am an avid lover of a good war movie. I don't know how anyone else feels about this, but I feel that war movie's have created some of our greatest motion pictures in history whether it be for a biography, propaganda or sheer artistic value, it relishes in the true drama of the human spirit and soul and brings out the best and worst in all of us.

In order, my top 3 favourite war/war-based movies:

1. Come and See
This is without a doubt in my mind the most engrossing, enthralling, harrowing and downright savage war-film I have ever watched and it is one that has stayed with me ever since I have completed it. It captures with me with some of the best acting I have ever witnessed and powerful screenplay and direction.

2. Apocalypse Now
I wasn't entirely convinced of Apocalypse Now for the majority of the movie, however it's last 30 minutes of screen-time are in my opinion the best 30 minutes of film that I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing and made for a stunning conclusion.

3. Paths of Glory
This Stanley Kubrick flick takes a whole another perspective on the war film genre and it does the movie wonders, and its insane realism makes this for another harrowing war movie about the horrors of trench warfare.

Honourable mentions: The Pianist, Doctor Strangelove, Schindler's List and The Great Escape.

What do you guys see as your favourite war movies and why (i want this to be a discussion topic not a listing topic), also recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
May 17, 2014 11:55 AM
Oct 2012
apart from whats already been mentioned i enjoyed Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence and Letters from Iwo Jima but Dr. Strangelove has to be my favorite i thought Peter Sellers was brilliant in the film
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
May 17, 2014 12:20 PM

Mar 2014
My favorite, while not a movie, is probably Band of Brothers. I just like how most of it was about historical accuracy. I've always was a fan of the 101st Airborne too. The large cast was pretty great and some really good actors in it.

I absolutely love the sheer scale of The Longest Day. Seeing some many fronts that happened on D-day really helps put things in prospective.

In the movie Alexander, I love the beginning battle with the Battle of Gaugamela.
May 17, 2014 1:41 PM

Aug 2013
I do enjoy war movies as well especially if they are historical. My favorites as Tora Tora Tora, Fullmetal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Valkyrie (my most favorite).

Tora, Tora, Tora - I liked it because it gave you a different perspective about the lead up and eventual bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Fullmetal Jacket - Really showed you the mental anguish soldiers have to go through.

Platoon- Charlie Sheen was great as the lead role and the movie showed you the types of atrocities the American soldiers committed during the Vietnam war. I also liked in the movie how they included how r drug use (marijuana) was common among Us soldiers during the Vietnam war.

Valkyrie - Tom Crusie to me was just great in this movie. This is one of my favorite movies even though it may not have been 100% historically accurate.
DrGeroCreationMay 18, 2014 2:14 AM
May 17, 2014 2:04 PM

Apr 2012
mclovinballz said:
My favorite, while not a movie, is probably Band of Brothers.

yesss. This was a very good series. I would highly recommend it.

Other war movies I've seen:
Letters from Iwo Jima
Tae Guk Gi
Paths of Glory

May 17, 2014 2:06 PM

Jul 2013
Apocalypse Now.
May 17, 2014 4:41 PM

Oct 2010
What a damn great top3, Jody. We share our favorites, though Paths of glory would be first to me and is the greatest Kubrick for sure.

Some not mentioned ones that are worth:

-Shame: Bergman's take on war became arguably the crudest and most visually violent of his films. Ullmann and Von Sydow are as top-notch as always.

-Under the flag of the rising sun: a widow of an executed veteran tries to reconstruct the events that lead to her husband's execution. A surprisingly crude, elegant and emotional film from the director of Battle Royale.

-Black Book: Paul Verhoeven's take on nazis. What else can I say.
May 18, 2014 1:49 AM

Feb 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Apocalypse Now - Charlie Sheen was great as the lead role and the movie showed you the types of atrocities the American soldiers committed during the Vietnam war. I also liked in the movie how they included how r drug use (marijuana) was common among Us soldiers during the Vietnam war.
You mean Martin Sheen....right?

Charlie was in Platoon.
May 18, 2014 2:14 AM

Aug 2013
NTAD said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Apocalypse Now - Charlie Sheen was great as the lead role and the movie showed you the types of atrocities the American soldiers committed during the Vietnam war. I also liked in the movie how they included how r drug use (marijuana) was common among Us soldiers during the Vietnam war.

Charlie was in Platoon.
I actually meant Platoon not Apocalypse Now. I don't know why I always mix them up.
DrGeroCreationMay 18, 2014 2:19 AM
May 18, 2014 2:23 AM
Mar 2013
I would like to recommend watching the below mentioned films which focus on a different kind of war: (But war nonetheless)

Birdemic: Shock and Terror - Humans vs. birds

The Room - Tommy Wiseau vs. established methods of film-making and acting

To be honest, I'm yet to see a war movie that I've really liked. Unless you count Star Wars. : (
[b]Join #myanimelist on RizonIRC![b]
(^∇^)

May 18, 2014 2:27 AM

Apr 2013
Dunois said:
I would like to recommend watching the below mentioned films which focus on a different kind of war: (But war nonetheless)

Birdemic: Shock and Terror - Humans vs. birds

The Room - Tommy Wiseau vs. established methods of film-making and acting

To be honest, I'm yet to see a war movie that I've really liked. Unless you count Star Wars. : (
Birdemic: Shock and Terror is absolutely brilliant as a dumpsterpiece and a totally unsubtle environmental commentary that makes no fucking sense. And the main male protagonist is the worst actor in the history of acting, oh and those special effects??? If you can call them that, they had better special effects in 1915.

The Room - Don't diss my room, it's so bad it's fucking awesome. Listening to Tommy Wiseau's speech impedemant and deliver every line with such cringe-worthy ability is a goal only a handful of the world's people can achieve.
May 18, 2014 2:49 AM

Feb 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
NTAD said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Charlie was in Platoon.
I actually meant Platoon not Apocalypse Now. I don't know why I always mix them up.
Probably because they both star a Sheen? lol
May 18, 2014 3:14 AM

Apr 2013
Kirie_Himuro said:
I've only just started getting into watching more war movies. I've seen a few when I was younger, but would need to re-watch them as my memory is very hazy about them. I'm working my way gradually through the selection that Criterion put out since they do outstanding quality releases, both in movies and picture, etc.

Nuit et brouillard (Night and Fog)

This is more of a documentary and reflection than what I would call a film. It's around thirty two minutes in length and was made ten years after the liberation of Nazi concentration camps. It shows the abandoned grounds of Auschwitz and Majdanek as well as explaining and describing what life was like for the prisoners. There was quite a bit of controversy when this first came out especially with french censors due to a police officer, the shot of him is censored in some versions. The director Alain Resnais wasn't even going to film this documentary, but it ended up being made in collaboration with a survivor of Mauthausen-Gusen (he did the script for it). It uses colour contemporary footage as well actual real stock footage. It used to be shown in schools and classes although I'm not sure if it is so much anymore. I'm not entirely sure I felt the music score was fitting, I've heard some people finding it inappropriate. I think I would of probably preferred just silence as the images are more than enough.

I plan on watching Nobi (Fires on the Plain) sometime today so I'll edit this post later.
I think I've heard of that one actually. Though, I am pretty sure I haven't seen it.
May 18, 2014 5:04 AM

Nov 2011
With Fire & Sword (1999)
The Deluge (1974)

You like the 17th century? You like Eastern Europe? You like fancy costumes? You like horses? You like 4 hour long movies? Then these are for you.
The Art of Eight
May 18, 2014 6:45 AM

Oct 2013
We Were Soldiers is an excellent film, in my opinion which stars Mel Gibson among others. The Great Escape is another good one of course and offers something different to most other war films.
The world’s not perfect, but it’s there for us trying the best it can. That’s what makes it so damn beautiful.
Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist)

May 18, 2014 7:17 AM

Jan 2014
Does X Men 3 count as a war movie?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2014 8:02 AM

Jan 2014
Saving Private Ryan is one of the all time classics in the war-genre to be honest, but Band of Brothers will always be the one I love the most. The Pacific on the other hand didn't have that big of an impact on me. It didn't have that same feel of authenticity that BoB had.
May 18, 2014 8:54 AM

Dec 2011
^I agree with Band of Brothers. I like Schlinders List too.

Although its not aired yet, I do suggest everyone to tune into World Wars during Memorial weekend on History Channel. Its posed to show the lives of Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini and Churchill during WWI. Going to be awesome.
May 18, 2014 12:03 PM

Dec 2013
Full Metal Jacket is great. The drill Sargent in the first half is amazing(because he was a real drill Sargent) and perfectly meshes a lot of good genres. Patton was also pretty good.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
May 18, 2014 12:45 PM

Jan 2014
Haha I just realized I haven't watched any.

Well... There was this movie about WWII, american and german soldiers had to work together to survive a sinking submarine (oxymoron? Almost). There was this actor who also plays a role in Wild Hogs. Tim something?

Also a very old film about Ghenghis Khan and another about Omar Al-Mukhtar (desert lion?).

Nothing modern I guess. Is Inglorious Basterds any good?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2014 12:49 PM

Aug 2013
NTAD said:
DrGeroCreation said:
NTAD said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Charlie was in Platoon.
Probably because they both star a Sheen? lol
Most likely although I'm not familiar with Martin Sheen at all.
May 18, 2014 12:55 PM

Feb 2013
Haaaa...okay. I guess I forgot to actually throw my hat into the thread.

So...

Even after all that, I can still see there are still quite a few I have not gotten around to watching. Like, I still haven't seen Das Boot, which I really need to do.

These are all the titles I can remember seeing off the top of my head, though Some are not directly related to battle, but also focus on the effects that war can have on people as well as things that happen due those effects. Some focus on independent military action not directly related to any major conflict, but still have the same effects on the people involved as any major war would.

Also, some of these entries are notably bad for their inaccuracies (lolPearlHarbor), but I still watched them.

I'll point out a couple of my memories and favorites.

The Great Escape - One of the first movies I had seen as a kid. I really enjoyed this due to the overall sense of perseverance that I got from the people involved. It was also humorous for me watching Steve McQueen's character constantly returning to "The Cooler" after each failed escape. But in the end, the movie shows us that war, in general, is not funny.

Battle of the Bulge- Another from my youth. Even though the movie had a great many issues with it's production (like using American tanks painted gray to be German tanks) it was still a fun flick and I fucking love tanks. That's why I decided to be in one when I was in the Army. 19Kay all the way.

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)- I LOVE war movies that show things from an "other than American" perspective. It's important to remember that war is not fought by one side and I like to see things from the other side's view. This movie, made in 1930, shows WWI from a German POV and for it's time, has some of the best production value of any war film ever made. And the special effects weren't too bad either.

Saving Private Ryan- While the movie had some shortcomings in the realism department, the big budget still made it a force to be reckoned with. With one of the most graphic depictions of the Normandy Invasion ever showcased in film, there aren't many others that could come as close to showing the horrors of war on such a grand scale. I saw the film in when it came out in theaters with my dad when I was 13 and when they turned up the volume for the opening sequence (I read that Spielberg asked cinemas to do this on purpose), I was gripping the arms of my chair by the time it was over.

Gettysburg- Many people in other countries probably don't watch films about the American Civil War, but this showcases many of the brilliant minds of the men who were involved in it. And I personally don't think anyone other than Martin Sheen could have played Robert E. Lee. I view this war as one of the saddest in history.

Glory- Another American Civil War flick and one where Matthew Broderick actually didn't totally suck. It followed the first voluntary all-black company. There were a few big names in this one such as Denzel Washington and God (fun fact, Morgan Freeman and Bob Gunton did this 5 years before they did Shawshank together) but that didn't necessarily make the movie for me. I like films where racial persecution can be seen from different perspectives and eventually be overcome. This one just happened to be set during a pivotal period in American history.

Tora! Tora! Tora!- Showcases the fallacies and ineptness of the American military leadership and shows WHY Pearl Harbor was such a mess even though it could probably have been avoided (or at least not so catastrophic).

Midway- One of the most important battles in the Pacific where the Japanese and American fleets were playing cat and mouse with each other. Another multi-perspective film that lets you see things from both sides. I am so glad I saw this before I saw Pearl Harbor. That movie was such a joke.

Hamburger Hill- As the name implies...it's bloody. A ridiculous battle for one of the most infamous hills in Vietnam that claimed life after life and in the end all you want to do is cry because it was totally pointless.

I don't remember everything about all those movies/TV series and there's more I could say, but I don't wanna turn this one post into a bigger wall of text than it already is. If anyone has any questions about why I mentioned some of the ones that I did (like Pan's Labyrinth) or wants to know more about them, I'm open to discuss.
NTADMay 18, 2014 1:01 PM
May 18, 2014 6:33 PM

May 2014
i really liked the Red Cliff movies i thought it was epic it had a great balance between action and story with characters already established in the first movie its heavier on action for the second half

Kagemusha and Ran are both amazing films both directed by akira kurosawa the final battle of kagemusha should have been longer
fudanshi and proud
Jul 16, 2014 5:27 PM

Jul 2014
- Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter (German miniseries)
- Schindler's List
- The Last Samurai
- My Way (Korean movie)
- The Pianist
- Jodhaa Akbar (Indian movie)
- Hua Mulan (Chinese movie)

I haven't seen that many war movies yet, but these are at least a few of my favorites. :)
Jul 16, 2014 5:45 PM
May 2012
Twelve O' Clock High
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041996/?ref_=nv_sr_5
Besides this Windtalkers and Band of Brothers are my most watched. And I don't even think Windtalkers is all that good.
I liked enemy At The Gates when i was younger, but after seeing it now, I didn't think it was that good either. I liked it, though.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Jul 16, 2014 6:03 PM

May 2014
All quiet on the western front is a brilliant portrayal of ww1 and the horror of war.
The Deer hunter is also a good war drama with alot of phychological themes.
Tora tora tora is another brilliant movie that shows the events leading up to the pearl harbour bombing.
Theres tons of other good war movies out there and most of the previous posts have mentioned them.
I've been here way too long...
Jul 16, 2014 6:09 PM

Mar 2014
Apocalypse Now is one of my favorites too, but I can't rewatch it very often due to its content. It leaves me kinda depressed, and it is a long movie too.
I also like Platoon, starring Charlie Sheen and Willem Dafoe(I don't know if I wrote it correctly). It seems very realistic and it is about the war in Vietnam.
Rambo II, which if I remember correctly is about the same war, is very interesting too.
Jul 16, 2014 6:11 PM

Jun 2013
mclovinballz said:
My favorite, while not a movie, is probably Band of Brothers. I just like how most of it was about historical accuracy. I've always was a fan of the 101st Airborne too. The large cast was pretty great and some really good actors in it.

Too bad the 101st just got shut down.

Anyways between my father and I, I'm pretty sure we own well over 150 war movies. Everything from All Quiet on the Western Front to Lone Survivor. Also lots of stuff like Braveheart, Troy, and Kingdom of Heaven.
Jul 16, 2014 6:35 PM

Aug 2009
Surprised nobody mentioned Das Boot.
Stalingrad (1993) is pretty good as well, it depicts the battle from the German soldiers point of view.
Jul 16, 2014 6:53 PM
May 2012
Jennicide said:

Stalingrad (1993) is pretty good as well, it depicts the battle from the German soldiers point of view.

It's on my list, but I haven't gotten to it yet.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Jul 18, 2014 10:02 PM

Feb 2011
some favs:
letters from iwo jima
generation kill
tae guk gi the brotherhood of war
the pacific
the hurt locker
jarhead

yeah im a war movie fangirl :3
Jul 18, 2014 10:29 PM

Jul 2013
I'm a fan of war movies too!

I've seen:

Saving Private Ryan
Platoon
Black Hawk Down
Band of Brothers
We Were Soldiers
Enemy at the Gates
Behind Enemy Lines
Tears of The Sun
Apocalypse Now
The Hurt Locker
Troy
Downfall
Windtalkers

I've seen a lot but these are all I can remember
Jul 19, 2014 11:36 PM

Nov 2011
Apocalypse now is my favorite in fact one of my all time fav films. Hell I love good old war movie classics they are almost always a treat!
Jul 19, 2014 11:50 PM

Aug 2013
Act of valor
Jul 22, 2014 10:33 AM
Jul 2014
Jul 24, 2014 2:22 PM

Jul 2014
Black Hawk Down tops it for me. Perhaps the only conflict I don't have a problem with Americans involving themselves in.

Platoon was really good too, though it's a bit difficult to watch it now and to take it seriously (damn you Charlie Sheen!!!)
Jul 24, 2014 3:48 PM
Jul 2014
Full Metal Jacket, absolutely glorious.
Jul 24, 2014 10:12 PM

Mar 2014
Saving Private Ryan.

I mean, it has Tom Hanks in it. That has to make it good, right?

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7576 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
43 minutes ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
54 minutes ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 AM

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Apr 23, 9:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.