Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 20, 2014 8:17 AM

Jun 2013
Champloo_Remix said:
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:
Don't tell him to skip ZZ now of all times lol. Prior to Unicorn people would say ZZ is "skippable" if you really so choose but it plays a pretty significant role in Unicorn so now you almost can't skip it (well you can skip anything if you choose to but I wouldn't).

I was just saying because it is a bad series, at least to most people. Zeta had an epic and emotional ending, then ZZ comes along and says fuck it let's turn this into a comedy, and a pretty "meh" one at that.

I'd read up on the important parts instead :P To each their own.

ZZ is easily my least favorite UC Gundam I've seen but to be fair it starts getting good the last 1/4...well really just the end stretch. It's not as horrible as some make it out to be but it is probably the weak link of MSG-Unicorn by a clear margin. But now with Unicorn out it's fairly important in regards to Mineva and Marida's backgrounds.

True. My advice to a person who just wants to know the Universal Century better and doesn't intend to sit down and watch every single one of them would to be skip ZZ. Gundam fans will end up watching it sooner or later regardless. Non Gundam fans would probably just be turned off with ZZ. Watching that shit to the end takes some patience that I'm not sure most people want to put up with.

I agree it's not terrible, it's ok. I just can't recommend it to anyone.
May 20, 2014 8:26 AM

Aug 2013
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:
Don't tell him to skip ZZ now of all times lol. Prior to Unicorn people would say ZZ is "skippable" if you really so choose but it plays a pretty significant role in Unicorn so now you almost can't skip it (well you can skip anything if you choose to but I wouldn't).

I was just saying because it is a bad series, at least to most people. Zeta had an epic and emotional ending, then ZZ comes along and says fuck it let's turn this into a comedy, and a pretty "meh" one at that.

I'd read up on the important parts instead :P To each their own.

ZZ is easily my least favorite UC Gundam I've seen but to be fair it starts getting good the last 1/4...well really just the end stretch. It's not as horrible as some make it out to be but it is probably the weak link of MSG-Unicorn by a clear margin. But now with Unicorn out it's fairly important in regards to Mineva and Marida's backgrounds.

True. My advice to a person who just wants to know the Universal Century better and doesn't intend to sit down and watch every single one of them would to be skip ZZ. Gundam fans will end up watching it sooner or later regardless. Non Gundam fans would probably just be turned off with ZZ. Watching that shit to the end takes some patience that I'm not sure most people want to put up with.

I agree it's not terrible, it's ok. I just can't recommend it to anyone.

The recommendation I always give to people is

MSG
Stardust Memory
Zeta
ZZ
Char's Counterattack

in that order and then Unicorn if you so choose (and you should because it's awesome)

I'd still recommend people watch ZZ. It's quite enjoyable if you understand it's different coming in and currently it's too integral to the story with Unicorn out. Plus you miss out on an entire Neo Zeon war. Idk, you could read about it if you wanted to but you lose the impact and real significance/weight of all these things coming into Unicorn if you do. It's better to experience it. But that's just the kind of anime watcher I am I suppose lol.
May 20, 2014 8:43 AM

Jun 2013
Champloo_Remix said:

MSG
Stardust Memory
Zeta
ZZ
Char's Counterattack

in that order and then Unicorn if you so choose (and you should because it's awesome)

I'd still recommend people watch ZZ. It's quite enjoyable if you understand it's different coming in and currently it's too integral to the story with Unicorn out. Plus you miss out on an entire Neo Zeon war. Idk, you could read about it if you wanted to but you lose the impact and real significance/weight of all these things coming into Unicorn if you do. It's better to experience it. But that's just the kind of anime watcher I am I suppose lol.

If someone is new to the Gundam series and UC in particular, I usually will tell them the "big 3" (MSG, Zeta, CCA). It's too much for most people to want to watch so many series just to get familiar with the universe, not to mention Unicorn does well enough as a standalone. My first order of watching UC was MSG>Zeta>MS Team>Victory>CCA>F91>ZZ. Sounds weird but still understood most things just fine.

But hey, I'm sure many people love ZZ. My opinion doesn't matter for other people lol.
May 20, 2014 8:51 AM

Aug 2013
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:

MSG
Stardust Memory
Zeta
ZZ
Char's Counterattack

If someone is new to the Gundam series and UC in particular, I usually will tell them the "big 3" (MSG, Zeta, CCA). It's too much for most people to want to watch so many series just to get familiar with the universe, not to mention Unicorn does well enough as a standalone. My first order of watching UC was MSG>Zeta>MS Team>Victory>CCA>F91>ZZ. Sounds weird but still understood most things just fine.

But hey, I'm sure many people love ZZ. My opinion doesn't matter for other people lol.

Yeah it's not the biggest deal regardless but for the record my first watching order was actually what I said I recommend people lol. Basically go in order, skip the side stories (aside from Stardust Memory which is the perfect bridge between MSG and Zeta), and enjoy lol.

I think Unicorn is fine as a standalone too but you get so much more out of it when it's the epilogue/end to this 40-50 year story that takes you on a very magical yet very pragmatic ride.

When I started Universal Century I had too much time on my hands and was too OCD about it so I had to watch ZZ despite knowing it gets hated on coming in lol. I'm glad I did though.
May 20, 2014 9:02 AM

Sep 2013
I was shitting bricks from all the climaxes so much that I think my asshole became a rectangle.

That was just too beautiful, I feel like crying tears of time now.

Even Amuro had a short line in there ;__;

Easy 10/10 for this series
May 20, 2014 9:11 AM

Jun 2013
cupc said:
I was shitting bricks from all the climaxes so much that I think my asshole became a rectangle.

That was just too beautiful, I feel like crying tears of time now.

Even Amuro had a short line in there ;__;

Easy 10/10 for this series

I know the feeling. I'm so happy to have finally watched the last episode after all these years, but now I feel so empty. The thought of no more new Unicorn episodes is depressing. Wish I could watch it over again for the first time ad infinitum..

Champloo_Remix said:

Yeah it's not the biggest deal regardless but for the record my first watching order was actually what I said I recommend people lol. Basically go in order, skip the side stories (aside from Stardust Memory which is the perfect bridge between MSG and Zeta), and enjoy lol.

I think Unicorn is fine as a standalone too but you get so much more out of it when it's the epilogue/end to this 40-50 year story that takes you on a very magical yet very pragmatic ride.

When I started Universal Century I had too much time on my hands and was too OCD about it so I had to watch ZZ despite knowing it gets hated on coming in lol. I'm glad I did though.

The "correct order" to watch the UC series will be so fucked up when MSG The Origin is out.

You'd start out in 2015 with Origin, then go back to the 70s, then go to the 80s, then to 201X, then the 90s.

Holy shit.
ex_necrossMay 20, 2014 9:22 AM
May 20, 2014 9:30 AM

Nov 2011
Champloo_Remix said:

There's a whole 100 year gap though from Unicorn to F91 so for all we know things changed for the better after Unicorn but gradually turned into what we saw in F91 hypothetically speaking of course.

There's only less than 30 years gap between Unicorn and F91.

Champloo_Remix said:

Yeah, don't skip ZZ if you want to get the most out of Unicorn. You miss out on Puru and information on Newtypes. It's not bad, just has an awkward transition between the first and second half.
May 20, 2014 10:38 AM

Aug 2013
MissileSoup said:
Champloo_Remix said:

There's a whole 100 year gap though from Unicorn to F91 so for all we know things changed for the better after Unicorn but gradually turned into what we saw in F91 hypothetically speaking of course.

There's only less than 30 years gap between Unicorn and F91.

Champloo_Remix said:

Yeah, don't skip ZZ if you want to get the most out of Unicorn. You miss out on Puru and information on Newtypes. It's not bad, just has an awkward transition between the first and second half.

Lol I meant 40-50 years in terms of the original Mobile Suit Gundam starting in 1979 til now in 2014. So I'm bad at math but actually that's like 30 or 40 something years right? Not 50.
May 20, 2014 11:00 AM

Nov 2011
Champloo_Remix said:

Well old man Vist did go on his whole schtick about how 100 years from now (F91 anyone?) Newtypes and all the ideologies linked to them including Laplace's Box will fade to nothingness.

F91 occurs in U.C.123, which is only 27 years after Unicorn.
May 20, 2014 11:08 AM

Nov 2011
Champloo_Remix said:
Lol I meant 40-50 years in terms of the original Mobile Suit Gundam starting in 1979 til now in 2014. So I'm bad at math but actually that's like 30 or 40 something years right? Not 50.

I'm confused. The context in which I quoted you was you implying maybe something did change between the 100 UC years between Unicorn and F91. I'm just saying there was less than 30 years between the events of Unicorn (UC 0096) and F91 (UC 0123), and not 100. Just a minor correction. Nothing about release dates involved. I probably should have quoted the entire post, but I don't like cluttering up discussions with long quotes.
May 20, 2014 11:24 AM
Oct 2010
So what were you guys favourite scenes?

Mine were

- When that Jegan ECOS type took on those two other MS. (that dude was just a badass through the whole thing)

- Full Frontal's flashbacks, those got me emotional. I'd like to see the old stuff reanimated with unicorn's quality.

- Char's reunion with Lalah and Amuro.

Out of the entire OVA I think the best battle was this one in UC7, but it was also by far the longest.

Ignoring this ep, the assault on torrington and the assault on Palau. Really loved those two fights.
May 20, 2014 11:40 AM

Aug 2013
MissileSoup said:
Champloo_Remix said:

I'm confused. The context in which I quoted you was you implying maybe something did change between the 100 UC years between Unicorn and F91. I'm just saying there was less than 30 years between the events of Unicorn (UC 0096) and F91 (UC 0123), and not 100. Just a minor correction. Nothing about release dates involved. I probably should have quoted the entire post, but I don't like cluttering up discussions with long quotes.

I'm so confused right now lol.

Phoenix6000 said:
Champloo_Remix said:

Well old man Vist did go on his whole schtick about how 100 years from now (F91 anyone?) Newtypes and all the ideologies linked to them including Laplace's Box will fade to nothingness.

F91 occurs in U.C.123, which is only 27 years after Unicorn.

No you're right. Idk why I thought there was a bigger time gap.
May 20, 2014 12:05 PM

Jun 2013
skudoops said:
So what were you guys favourite scenes?

Mine were

- When that Jegan ECOS type took on those two other MS. (that dude was just a badass through the whole thing)

- Full Frontal's flashbacks, those got me emotional. I'd like to see the old stuff reanimated with unicorn's quality.

Out of the entire OVA I think the best battle was this one in UC7, but it was also by far the longest.

Ignoring this ep, the assault on torrington and the assault on Palau. Really loved those two fights.

The Silver Bullet in action (who would have seen that coming?)

Every moment with the Jegan ECOAS Type

CCA flashback

The infiltrator Schuzrum Galluss

Unicorn knifehand strike

Rozen Zulu smashing itself in the face

Oh yeah and Banana's ascension to godhood.
ex_necrossMay 20, 2014 12:08 PM
May 20, 2014 12:34 PM

Sep 2013
skudoops said:

This was the winner, slightly topping the very final scene. Finally those three had a concrete ending they deserved, animated.

But in all honesty, the entire second half of the last episode was the favorite scene for me.
May 20, 2014 12:38 PM

Jun 2009
At least we now know the fate of Amuro and Char Aznabel.
May 20, 2014 12:41 PM

Jun 2013
Setsuna200 said:
At least we now know the fate of Amuro and Char Aznabel.

I did a double-take when the original Core Fighter showed up.
May 20, 2014 12:42 PM
Jul 2012
LOVED THIS EP! TOTTALY WORTH THE WAIT ALL OF IT! But I gotta ask.. TF is with Riddhe and always losing his right leg? lol
May 20, 2014 12:55 PM

Jun 2013
Zadine05 said:
LOVED THIS EP! TOTTALY WORTH THE WAIT ALL OF IT! But I gotta ask.. TF is with Riddhe and always losing his right leg? lol

They should just put him in a mobile suit without legs, he would be literally invincible.
May 20, 2014 1:20 PM

Aug 2010
Friggin EPIC!! >.< EYEGASMING ALL OVER. How can something be animated this epically!!

F*** WHY DID MARIDA HAVE TO DIE!!!! T O T DAMN RHIDDE!! Did u have to do that T_T Such a sad death :( Best character for me. Loved her so much. But loved how she kept appearing in her soul mode saving Banagher and the others :D

Rhidde's development throughout this movie was really great. I went from hating him to loving him.

I wanted Banagher to go Berserk but oh well, the shields going funnel mode was nice too ^^; And it showed a BA side to him with how he suppressed his rage hehe. Damn is Banagher a great character though. He really impressed me quite a lot.

Unicorn is OP AS HELL XDXDXD Every few minutes a new level up appears out of no where lol. Gotta love it :P The Psycho barrier was friggin BA as hell!!! How they blocked the laser was astounding *A*!!

And this is one of the few times I see a Gundam of the main character get through the final fight unscathed XD More proof of how OP it is XD

Loved the Char+Banagher trip through time and space. The visuals were so beautiful <3
May 20, 2014 2:20 PM

Feb 2012
So when will a complete series box set be released?

And yes, I respect the producers of Gundam, I'm not going to find fansubs.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 20, 2014 2:22 PM

Sep 2007
DAT MUDDAFUCKING QUALITY. God damn that was some pretty fucking shit going on.

The Doven Wolf at the beginning was fucking badass. And that Schuzrum-Galluss. Fucking Hilarious.

But wtf at this whole finale. What the fuck, Neo Zeong? Wtf, Full Frontal? Wtf Newtype psysho wave shit? Unicorn some OP shit right there.
May 20, 2014 2:44 PM
Oct 2010
Primus2x said:
So when will a complete series box set be released?

And yes, I respect the producers of Gundam, I'm not going to find fansubs.

No clue, I've been waiting on one as well. I think i'd be around 400 US though but w/e.
May 20, 2014 3:27 PM

Apr 2008
GODDAMNIT this was awesome. Worth all those years of waiting. Sawano Hiroyuki's OST was as amazing as ever. I am speechless after this episode. I don't think i'll ever watch something with the same quality.
May 20, 2014 4:27 PM

Jan 2009
j0x said:
great conclusion, in the light novels they say that banagher died but its good that they change that ending

nah scratch that, i found some summary of the light novel ending and ye Banagher also lives - http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/339432-MSG-Unicorn-Final-Chapter-over-the-rainbow-II-Translation
May 20, 2014 9:01 PM
Feb 2009
well Holy crap just managed to marathoned the whole Unicorn OVA today damn epic ending!
May 21, 2014 1:04 AM

Apr 2012
I couldn't ask more for an epic satisfying ending. Unicorn really delivers and Sunrise smooth at it's best. Now unto Origin and G-Reco.

Marida's death broke my heart. She's one of my favorite female character in Gundam. "Puru puru"

I also very much appreciated Char and Lalah's cameo.

Funny how Mineva said in her speech "let us all proceed into the next century in peace" or something along that line but then Victory Gundam happened xD
RedgraveGilverMay 21, 2014 1:07 AM
May 21, 2014 2:09 AM

May 2014
RedgraveGilver said:
I couldn't ask more for an epic satisfying ending. Unicorn really delivers and Sunrise smooth at it's best. Now unto Origin and G-Reco.

Marida's death broke my heart. She's one of my favorite female character in Gundam. "Puru puru"

I also very much appreciated Char and Lalah's cameo.

Funny how Mineva said in her speech "let us all proceed into the next century in peace" or something along that line but then Victory Gundam happened xD

Maybe they should make another series to bridge the gap between Unicorn, F91 and Victory. We need something explanation why things constantly remain shitty in the UC despite all the wars. Wars don't breed more wars. They breed change and resistance to engaging in another protracted conflict. The Federation is protrayed so inept and corrupt after Zeta, one would imagine the government / regime would've been removed long before Victory gundam. Somehow the the Fed endures though.
AllStarNemesisMay 21, 2014 2:12 AM
May 21, 2014 6:57 AM

Jun 2013
AllStarNemesis said:
Wars don't breed more wars.

lol
May 21, 2014 8:03 AM
Jun 2012
This Gundam was so Epic and really Sentimental for me and i have to admit , its the best by far in which i watched a few Gundams such as Gundam Wing , Seed , Destiny , 00 and Age . Can anyone help me in the list of Gundam i should watched to completely understand unicorn ? I have MSG the movie Trilogy , Zeta , CCA , Evolve , 08th as well as IGLOO ( in which im not sure whether its related or not) . All those i listed is the one i recently *ehem* get bfr i watched the final ep of unicorn . I Watched the trilogy to actually understand who was Audrey's dad as well as Lalah and Char and get to know Amuro .

P/S : Is it safe to assume that Banagher is a better newtype as well as a Gundam Pilot than Amuro Ray ?
May 21, 2014 8:28 AM

Aug 2013
arzter said:
This Gundam was so Epic and really Sentimental for me and i have to admit , its the best by far in which i watched a few Gundams such as Gundam Wing , Seed , Destiny , 00 and Age . Can anyone help me in the list of Gundam i should watched to completely understand unicorn ? I have MSG the movie Trilogy , Zeta , CCA , Evolve , 08th as well as IGLOO ( in which im not sure whether its related or not) . All those i listed is the one i recently *ehem* get bfr i watched the final ep of unicorn . I Watched the trilogy to actually understand who was Audrey's dad as well as Lalah and Char and get to know Amuro .

P/S : Is it safe to assume that Banagher is a better newtype as well as a Gundam Pilot than Amuro Ray ?

MSG/0079
Operation Stardust Memory
Zeta
ZZ
Char's Counterattack

watch in that order. If you got sentimental having seen nothing but the trilogy films than I you're heart would've been physically shedding tears had you taken the journey leading up to Unicorn lol.

I personally advise against watching any of the summary films for Gundam because each time the anime series is a better option imo as far as getting the depth and connection to the story and characters. But out of all the summary films I've seen the MSG trilogy is probably the most well put together.

No it's not safe imo. Better pilot? Absolutely not. Amuro as far as I'm concerned is still the best Universal Century pilot clearly. If you put Amuro in a Rick Dias he's still able to wipe out mobile suits/armors that vastly outclass his own. Amuro's a legit ace PILOT. Best/better newtype is now an interesting debate with Unicorn.

Because if you yank Amuro and put him in the Unicorn Gundam would he or would he not have been able to pull off what Banagher did? How much of Banagher's success was a result of just having the Unicorn Gundam itself? These are all questions you have to ask yourself.

Now with the way the anime painted Banagher in the end (insinuating he's a "true/perfected Newtype") I'd lean more towards Banagher probably being one of the if not the strongest Newtypes in UC. I think the big equalizer is the Unicorn Gundam that's entire body is made up of/with psychoframe as opposed to say Amuro's Nu Gundam whose cockpit was the only bit of psycoframe in/on the suit. But at the end of the day I still see Banagher as a competent Gundam pilot and possibly one of the strongest Newtypes in Universal Century.

Side note:

kind of an interesting thing to consider the origins of the psychoframe...who came up with it and how the Earth Federation/Anaheim Electronics got their hands on it.
Champloo_RemixMay 21, 2014 8:33 AM
May 21, 2014 8:35 AM

Mar 2008
Nothing wanting. Universal Century doesn't need anything else, even if it does come.

arzter said:
I find it hard to say anyone is as capable a pilot as Amuro; the veteran at the forefront of mobile suit combat. Of course, not everyone has the benefit of newtype precognition, but he's proven himself to be a master of adaptability and tactics. But it's always hard to compare, as every iteration hasn't different pilots and equipment to compare with.

It's hard to say about 'better' newtype. There've been a large array of manifestations of newtpype power: distance telepathy/empathy, seeing beyond - and then more physical occurances.

In part, we can put the extensiveness of Banaghers powers to Unicorn and its advances psycho-frame tech, but that's also part of his 'completion/perfection' as a newtype, I suppose.

May 21, 2014 8:55 AM

Jun 2013
Ckan said:
Nothing wanting. Universal Century doesn't need anything else, even if it does come.

arzter said:
I find it hard to say anyone is as capable a pilot as Amuro; the veteran at the forefront of mobile suit combat. Of course, not everyone has the benefit of newtype precognition, but he's proven himself to be a master of adaptability and tactics. But it's always hard to compare, as every iteration hasn't different pilots and equipment to compare with.

It's hard to say about 'better' newtype. There've been a large array of manifestations of newtpype power: distance telepathy/empathy, seeing beyond - and then more physical occurances.

In part, we can put the extensiveness of Banaghers powers to Unicorn and its advances psycho-frame tech, but that's also part of his 'completion/perfection' as a newtype, I suppose.

If you paid attention to the story, Banagher became the first true newtype at the end of the episode, also seen as basically an ascension to godhood. By definition, this literally means he is better than every other newtype to have ever existed. You can disagree all you want, but it is canon.
May 21, 2014 9:02 AM

Sep 2013
ex_necross said:
Ckan said:

arzter said:

If you paid attention to the story, Banagher became the first true newtype at the end of the episode, also seen as basically an ascension to godhood. By definition, this literally means he is better than every other newtype to have ever existed. You can disagree all you want, but it is canon.

Yeah, he became like a completely new entity, to which time is meaningless. It was pretty deep coming from Gundam, and I loved it.
May 21, 2014 9:08 AM

Aug 2013
ex_necross said:
Ckan said:

arzter said:

And that's what I meant when I brought up the whole "perfected newtype" thing. There's a pretty good shot Banagher's the strongest Newtype too because like Syam Vist mentioned iirc, only a true/perfected Newtype would be able to use the La+ program/Unicorn to lead themselves to Laplace's Box. I think the underlying message of all of that as well is that only a "true newtype" would've been able to do things Banagher did in the Unicorn.

So with that being said. There's a pretty good chance Banagher is a perfected Newtype and by extension the strongest Newtype we've seen yet. But I disagree with "godhood". In a lot of ways I think Banagher is what Zeon Deikun predicted all those years ago. He predicted that Newtypes would be the next step in human evolution and through these Newtypes that human beings would become those who understand each other. In a manner of speaking he predicted Newtypes would bring about a unification and self-understanding of humanity.

And ironically if you choose to see it that way that's kind of what Banagher did/began to do with this whole story in Gundam Unicorn. We all thought we had seen humans that we're total Newtypes before but when you really think about it it makes sense that Banagher in Unicorn was the fulfilling of Zeon Deikun's prophecy and philosophy. As we all know, evolution doesn't happen at the snap of the fingers. You had Amuro in 0079 who was the first Newtype, Kamille came after that and was a stronger Newtype than Amuro, then Judau came and did even crazier Newtype stuffs, and then Amuro and Char show up in CCA and we all know what happened with that.

It's almost like we've unknowingly seen the gradual evolution/growth of Newtypes in humanity and with Banagher we've seen the fully evolved version of the Newtype. What the Newtype is supposed to be. It just took time for humanity to fully get there bit by bit.

So all in all...it all comes full circle and Zeon Deikun in a sense (if you seperate F91 and Victory) wasn't so crazy after all. The opening of Laplace's Box seems like the first steps.
Champloo_RemixMay 21, 2014 9:17 AM
May 21, 2014 9:17 AM
Oct 2010
Banagher is a more powerful newtype while Amuro is a better pilot. One could even say that Unicorn (or any MS with psycho frame tech) could bridge the gap between their abilities because of this.

I'd like to say given their best equipment they are equal. But at his peak banagher was shutting down entire squads of mobile suits (or convincing them to stop, not really sure what happened there) so he might have the edge.

Champloo_Remix said:

kind of an interesting thing to consider the origins of the psychoframe...who came up with it and how the Earth Federation/Anaheim Electronics got their hands on it.

Probably someone from Zeon (they are the only ones who'd have a use for that). Maybe the flanangan institute? I do recall them researching the whole newtype phenomena.
May 21, 2014 9:18 AM

Mar 2008
ex_necross said:
Ckan said:

On the other-hand, Amuro hasn't really been the most 'powerful' newtype for a while - Judau and Kamille have both had feats more extreme than and tangible than his - although you could debate for the Axis shock which involved all the pilots, Char, and Amuro.

See, this comes to the nuance about what a 'newtype' is. I never "disagreed" with Banagher displaying quite possibly showing the greatest feats of Newtype power, and not at all with him being a 'completed/perfected' Newtype.

The issues I was pointing at was that each Newtype has undergone different 'awakenings' and have caused different phenomenon at the height of their power - and it's not always clear as to whether this is solely by their individual power, or that of the people around them; often including a varying number of lesser newtypes.
Then, there's the technology aspect, where we're literally told that the Unicorn is the vehicle for 'finding' this 'true' newtype. The mechanics of this having not been laid out, it's quite possible to assume that given different pilots, (ie. Kamille, Judau, Amuro, Haman, Scirocco, etc.), we might have had other such awakenings.

Banagher undoubtedly became something above all else for a moment before returning, but on an individual basis, I question whether he's the single most 'powerful' newtype of them all.
CkanMay 21, 2014 9:22 AM
May 21, 2014 9:21 AM

Jun 2013
Ckan said:
ex_necross said:

See, this comes to the nuance about what a 'newtype' is. I never 'disagreed' with Banagher displaying prossibly the greatest feats of Newtype power, nor with him being a 'completed/perfected' Newtype.

The issues I was pointing at was that each Newtype has undergone different 'awakenings' and have caused different phenomenon at the height of their power - and it's not always clear as to whether this is solely by their individual power, or that of the people around them; often including a varying number of lesser newtypes.
Then, there's the technology aspect, where we're literally told that the Unicorn is the vehicle for 'finding' this 'true' newtype. The mechanics of this having not been laid out, it's quite possible to assume that given different pilots, (ie. Kamille, Judau, Amuro, Haman, Scirocco, etc.), we might have had other such awakenings.

Banagher undoubtedly became something above all else for a moment before returning, but on an individual basis, I question whether he's the single most 'powerful' newtype of them all.

I would have to say that a "perfect newtype" is probably the single most powerful, and we are told Banana is the only person to achieve that status (or the first person, maybe others followed).
May 21, 2014 9:22 AM

Mar 2008
ex_necross said:
I would have to say that a "perfect newtype" is probably the single most powerful, and we are told Banana is the only person to achieve that status (or the first person, maybe others followed).
So you're going to ignore my point? Ok. I try not to engage in debates with those that don't listen, so let's leave it be.
May 21, 2014 9:25 AM

Aug 2013
skudoops said:
Banagher is a more powerful newtype while Amuro is a better pilot. One could even say that Unicorn (or any MS with psycho frame tech) could bridge the gap between their abilities because of this.

I'd like to say given their best equipment they are equal. But at his peak banagher was shutting down entire squads of mobile suits (or convincing them to stop, not really sure what happened there) so he might have the edge.

Champloo_Remix said:

Probably someone from Zeon (they are the only ones who'd have a use for that). Maybe the flanangan institute? I do recall them researching the whole newtype phenomena.

I was actually being introspective when I said that lol. In CCA they did in fact reveal through that letter Chan read that Neo Zeon under Char's regime were the ones to invent/create the psyco frame technology. But they leaked it to Anaheim Electronics (likely Char's doing) hence why Nu Gundam has a psycoframe cockpit just like the Sazabi. Char's a man of closure and knew a final duel with Amuro was at hand. With that being said he more than likely had the psycoframe technology leaked so that his and Amuro's mobile suits would be on a leveled playing field when they fought...even if that means he's the one that would be giving up his advantage so that the best man man may win.

So with that in mind what would've happened if Neo Zeon would have kept the psycho frame tech to themselves? Would things have turned out differently for Neo Zeon? More importantly would Char have succeeded in his goal and would the world/universe afterward have been a very different place?

Ckan said:
ex_necross said:
Ckan said:

On the other-hand, Amuro hasn't really been the most 'powerful' newtype for a while - Judau and Kamille have both had feats more extreme than and tangible than his - although you could debate for the Axis shock which involved all the pilots, Char, and Amuro.

See, this comes to the nuance about what a 'newtype' is. I never "disagreed" with Banagher displaying quite possibly showing the greatest feats of Newtype power, and not at all with him being a 'completed/perfected' Newtype.

You make a lot of solid points. That's why it's so hard to tell. You can go either way with it and make a competent case.
Champloo_RemixMay 21, 2014 9:29 AM
May 21, 2014 9:27 AM

Jun 2013
Ckan said:
ex_necross said:
So you're going to ignore my point? Ok. I try not to engage in debates with those that don't listen, so let's leave it be.

Well I mean what's to argue about the other part?

Yes, the technology obviously helped in finding and bringing to the surface his dormant abilities. Yes, technology gets better, and yes, Amuro did not have the Unicorn. Nobody can argue against that.

Does that discredit Banana though? Did he cheat to become the most powerful newtype? You'd have to make a damn good argument to convince me of that.

Also, other newtypes have had awakenings, but nothing has ever been mentioned to the effect of a perfect newtype. Speculate as you will, but only in Banagher's case have we been told he had achieved a status that cannot be surpassed.
ex_necrossMay 21, 2014 9:33 AM
May 21, 2014 9:31 AM

Sep 2013
ex_necross said:
Ckan said:
ex_necross said:

Yes, the technology obviously helped in finding and bringing to the surface his dormant abilities. Yes, technology gets better, and yes, Amuro did not have the Unicorn. Nobody can argue against that.

Does that discredit Banana though? Did he cheat to become the most powerful newtype? You'd have to make a damn good argument to convince me of that.

Yeah I have to agree with this. It doesn't matter HOW Banagher became the 'strongest'' newtype, all that matters, in this particular case, is how strong he in fact is.
May 21, 2014 9:39 AM

Aug 2013
You know I think a lot of could come down to Newtype potential from an evolutionary standpoint if we're taking the Zeon Deikun route. Banagher could've simply been the fully evolved space-adapted human being. It took time to get there (like all evolution does) Banagher might be the result of Newtype evolution reaching it's pinnacle. If you want to look at it like this too the little schtick on human evolution in this episode 7 when Banagher+Audrey are making their way to Syam Vist's chamber might be a sign that that's in fact what it is.
May 21, 2014 9:45 AM

Jun 2013
Champloo_Remix said:
You know I think a lot of could come down to Newtype potential from an evolutionary standpoint if we're taking the Zeon Deikun route. Banagher could've simply been the fully evolved space-adapted human being. It took time to get there (like all evolution does) Banagher might be the result of Newtype evolution reaching it's pinnacle. If you want to look at it like this too the little schtick on human evolution in this episode 7 when Banagher+Audrey are making their way to Syam Vist's chamber might be a sign that that's in fact what it is.

Yeah, there's a lot to be speculated on how Banagher managed to achieve his status. But that's a different issue altogether. The question iirc was not how, just blunty IS Banagher a better newtype? I mean we know the answer to that, we know what he became.
May 21, 2014 9:49 AM

Mar 2008
Champloo_Remix said:
So with that in mind what would've happened if Neo Zeon would have kept the psycho frame tech to themselves? Would things have turned out differently for Neo Zeon? More importantly would Char have succeeded in his goal and would the world/universe afterward have been a very different place?
We could suppose that the Axis drop would have been successful. Goodbye Earth.

ex_necross said:
Ckan said:
ex_necross said:
So you're going to ignore my point?

Indeed, and I myself am not arguing against your part. The abilities he and Unicorn possess are essentially unparalleled. He certainly became the 'strongest' newtype at his peak. By him becoming a 'completed/perfect' newtype, we can assume that he has reached the furthest point a newtype can go - an ascension while still in the body, (but a supernatural existence very close to that of the newtype ghosts.)

On the other-hand, we've been shown in the past that newtypes have varying levels of innate newtype 'capability'. These capabilities are then channelled through the various psycommu system to different effects.
However, once newtypes awaken, they're shown to have abilities independent of their suits and machinery. This is where the telepathy and precognition comes in, and I won't claim 100% recollection, but Banagher's instances don't quite compare to some of the events we've seen involving Amuro, Kamille, and Judau.

Therefore, I think it is an apt enough question to wonder how capable a newtype Banagher is comparatively and independent of the phenomena centred around RX Unicorn itself. That is to say, Banagher clearly grows beyond them, but is he a being that was perhaps a wholly alternate form of 'newtype'? One with intermediary moments which were only capable because of the advanced psycommu technology? To what extent could other newtypes compare?

Obviously, they're never going to have definite answers, I'm just pointing out that they're not as clear-cut as it might at first seem.
CkanMay 21, 2014 9:56 AM
May 21, 2014 9:50 AM

Aug 2013
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:

Yeah, there's a lot to be speculated on how Banagher managed to achieve his status. But that's a different issue altogether. The question iirc was not how, just blunty IS Banagher a better newtype? I mean we know the answer to that, we know what he became.

I still think it's hard to say with 100% certainty but all signs atm to me point to Banagher being the strongest Newtype. The X Factor comes down to what if we put Amuro, Kamille, Judau, etc. in the Unicorn? To which of course we don't have an answer to.

But I have no gripes as I stand here today accepting Banagher's most likely the strongest Newtype after seeing GU.
May 21, 2014 9:55 AM

Jun 2013
Ckan said:

On the other-hand, we've been shown in the past that newtypes have varying levels of innate newtype 'capability'. These capabilities are then channelled through the various psycommu system to different effects.
However, once newtypes awaken, they're shown to have abilities independent of their suits and machinery. This is where the telepathy and precognition comes in, and I won't claim 100% recollection, but Banagher's instances don't quite compare to some of the events we've seen involving Amuro, Kamille, and Judau.
Therefore, I think it is an apt enough question to wonder how capable a newtype Banagher is comparatively and independent of the phenomena centred around RX Unicorn itself.

That is an apt question, and there is a lot of speculation that can be done in that regard, but unfortunately we just simply can't know what hasn't been shown. We don't know if Amuro, Kamille, or Judau had reached their full potential, or what their full potential could be. We only know what has been shown.. which is why I keep bringing it up.

Champloo_Remix said:
The X Factor comes down to what if we put Amuro, Kamille, Judau, etc. in the Unicorn? To which of course we don't have an answer to.

^^^^ Yup exactly.
May 21, 2014 10:00 AM

Aug 2013
Ckan said:
Champloo_Remix said:
We could suppose that the Axis drop would have been successful. Goodbye Earth.

ex_necross said:
Ckan said:
ex_necross said:
So you're going to ignore my point?

Indeed, and I myself am not arguing against your part. The abilities he and Unicorn possess are essentially unparalleled. He was certainly became the 'strongest' newtype at his peak. By him becoming a 'completed/perfect' newtype, we can assume that he has reached the furthest point a newtype can go.

However, once newtypes awaken, they're shown to have abilities independent of their suits and machinery. This is where the telepathy and precognition comes in, and I won't claim 100% recall, but Banagher's instances don't quite compare to some of the events we've seen involving Amuro, Kamille, and Judau.
Therefore, I think it is an apt enough question to wonder how capable a newtype Banagher is comparatively and independent of the phenomena centred around RX Unicorn itself.

Regarding Axis: sure but would that have been wrong? This is where the philosophy and moral ethics of CCA comes into play but we saw what happened when Amuro quashed the rebellion in CCA and what came after once we saw Unicorn. As FF said, nothing changed. If you've seen Gundam 00 and it's ending in the Trailblazer film it leaves the thought in one's head that THAT could have been the future Char would've ushered in. Yes killing is morally wrong in a vacuum and genocide is even more wrong in said vacuum. Char understood this in CCA but he was willing to sacrifice his morals and image, he was willing to be the bad guy humanity needed to move past its own vices.

It's interesting to think that yes, killing or murder iis wrong and should yield nothing good out of it but if you really think about it didn't something like say the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki during WW2 murder a ridiculous amount of innocents and hostiles alike and screwed with future generations of Japanese citizens through radiation sickness and the like? But that yielded the surrender of Japan and the end of a conflict/peace to a degree.

That's where it gets very philosophically tricky and that's the discussion for moral debate.

But to make it short and sweet. What would have yielded/did yield the better result? What humanity have been better off moving into space and eventually all becoming Newtypes via Char's Rebellion or did the Earth Federation and Londo Bell's victory int he Second Neo Zeon War (plus Amuro's actions) open humanity's eyes at all?

That's why CCA is a very gray affair. It's not about discerning who's right or who's wrong because there's righteousness on both ends and wrongfulness on both ends.

That aside. What I'm getting out of what you're saying is that the Unicorn Gundam is sort of the deciding X factor correct me if I'm wrong. Either way I'd say that's a valid stance.
Champloo_RemixMay 21, 2014 10:05 AM
May 21, 2014 10:04 AM

Mar 2008
^It's the biggest X factor, and yes, it's also a somewhat pendatic point to make. (But, that's the fun/interest of it.)
@ex_necross
And part of it is even more obfuscated because of the unclear variance between newtype powers.

Prior to his 'godly' ascension - which allowed him to completely disable things remotely, how powerful was Banagher exactly?

The solidifying/strengthening resonance between the Gundams could be seen as very similar if not identical to Kamille's waverider.

The blocking of the solar ray is probably most comparable to the Axis shock - both events involved physics-defying forces. Does it take more power to lift Axis out of fall, or to block, blunt, and absorb a solar ray? Both events also had axiliary participants - and it's probably fair to say that Banagher contributed a greater share relative to what Amuro contributed to the Axis shock.

So in-suit, Banagher definitely seems ascendant, although we can still question how much the suits come into it - how much a difference does 3 years make in psycommu tech? Probably a lot, in Universal Century terms, but possibly not.
CkanMay 21, 2014 10:31 AM
May 21, 2014 10:09 AM

Jun 2013
Ckan said:
^It's the biggest X factor, and yes, of course, it's a pendatic point. But, that's the fun/interest of it.
@ex_necross
And part of it is even more obfuscated because of the unclear variance between newtype powers.

Prior to his 'godly' ascension - which allowed him to completely disable things remotely, how powerful was Banagher exactly?

The solidifying/strengthening resonance between the Gundams could be seen as very similar if not identical to Kamille's waverider.

The blocking of the solar ray is probably most comparable to the Axis shock - both events involved physics-defying forces. Does it take more power to lift Axis out of fall, or to block, blunt, and absorb a solar ray? Both events also had axiliary participants - and it's probably fair to say that Banagher contributed a greater share relative to what Amuro contributed to the Axis shock.

So in-suit, Banagher definitely seems ascendant, although we can still question how much the suits come into it - how much a difference does 3 years make in psycommu tech? Probably a lot, in Universal Century terms, but possibly not.

I believe it's been said that the suit itself only allows its pilot to bring about his or her power and helps them channel it, so that would be how much the suit comes into it. It doesn't give them anything they don't already have except a means to access it.

It's like how we can just google information instead of having to go to the library and search through a bunch of books to get the info.

Ckan said:
The blocking of the solar ray is probably most comparable to the Axis shock - both events involved physics-defying forces. Does it take more power to lift Axis out of fall, or to block, blunt, and absorb a solar ray?

Who knows?
May 21, 2014 10:14 AM

Aug 2013
ex_necross said:
Ckan said:
^It's the biggest X factor, and yes, of course, it's a pendatic point. But, that's the fun/interest of it.
@ex_necross

I believe it's been said that the suit itself only allows it's pilot to bring about his or her power and helps them channel it, so that would be how much the suit comes into it. It doesn't give them anything they don't already have except a means to access it.

It's like how we can just google information instead of having to go to the library and search through a bunch of books to get the info.

Well to play devil's advocate for a moment you have to consider what Amuro was able to do in CCA with merely a cockpit made of psycoframe and also consider that the entierty of the Unicorn Gundam (or most of it's underlayer anyway) is made of psycoframe. I know they mentioned that it's in a sense merely a vessel (lol see what I did there?) for the pilot's psycho waves/Newtypes abilities but it's hard to imagine that having THAT much more psycho frame to the point where most of the suit is psycho frame doesn't also amplify the pilot's newtype prowess.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ranlos - Mar 6, 2011

86 by TheRestlessOne »»
Dec 25, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TechnicsMKII - Oct 29, 2010

116 by TheRestlessOne »»
Dec 25, 2023 10:39 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BladedWarrior - Nov 13, 2011

93 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 19, 2023 11:59 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TechnicsMKII - Feb 19, 2010

215 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 19, 2023 5:47 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stAtic91 - Mar 2, 2013

70 by Neemesis_2 »»
Sep 23, 2023 5:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.