Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 21, 2014 10:17 AM

Jun 2013
Champloo_Remix said:

Well to play devil's advocate for a moment you have to consider what Amuro was able to do in CCA with merely a cockpit made of psycoframe and also consider that the entierty of the Unicorn Gundam (or most of it's underlayer anyway) is made of psycoframe. I know they mentioned that it's in a sense merely a vessel (lol see what I did there?) for the pilot's psycho waves/Newtypes abilities but it's hard to imagine that having THAT much more psycho frame to the point where most of the suit is psycho frame doesn't also amplify the pilot's newtype prowess.

Then again what about the fact that Banagher can actually handle the extreme pressure of all those psycho frames? I recall somewhere that it causes a serious strain on the pilot and only very capable newtypes can use the system.

If the Unicorn is literally decked out in them and Banagher can pilot it, even with his impact reducing suit...
May 21, 2014 10:18 AM

Aug 2013
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:

Well to play devil's advocate for a moment you have to consider what Amuro was able to do in CCA with merely a cockpit made of psycoframe and also consider that the entierty of the Unicorn Gundam (or most of it's underlayer anyway) is made of psycoframe. I know they mentioned that it's in a sense merely a vessel (lol see what I did there?) for the pilot's psycho waves/Newtypes abilities but it's hard to imagine that having THAT much more psycho frame to the point where most of the suit is psycho frame doesn't also amplify the pilot's newtype prowess.

Then again what about the fact that Banagher can actually handle the extreme pressure of all those psycho frames? I recall somewhere that it causes a serious strain on the pilot and only very capable newtypes can use the system.

If the Unicorn is literally decked out in them and Banagher can pilot it, even with his impact reducing suit...

I was literally just editing this into my post lol. But yes that's the flipside of it.
May 21, 2014 10:24 AM

Jun 2013
Champloo_Remix said:
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:

I was literally just editing this into my post lol. But yes that's the flipside of it.

I also just realized how important that is. It was mentioned "what if Amuro had the Unicorn?". There's a good chance he couldn't even handle it.
May 21, 2014 10:32 AM

Mar 2008
Champloo_Remix said:
Regarding Axis: sure but would that have been wrong?
But to make it short and sweet. What would have yielded/did yield the better result? What humanity have been better off moving into space and eventually all becoming Newtypes via Char's Rebellion or did the Earth Federation and Londo Bell's victory int he Second Neo Zeon War (plus Amuro's actions) open humanity's eyes at all?

That's why CCA is a very gray affair. It's not about discerning who's right or who's wrong because there's righteousness on both ends and wrongfulness on both ends.
Yep, this does come down to personal philosophy and is also convoluted by the fact that multiple motifs/themes of gundam double up; ie. bound by gravity/ earth's corruption vs emancipation of the colonies / venturing to space / = newtype ascendancy.

I'd like to think that there's two sort of 'answers' to this.

First, the way CCA ended was itself the 'right' and core message of Gundam. That newtypes are inconsequential in the sense that they're always an aspect of 'humanity' - that first and foremost, the sacredness of life, and the pettiness of mankind is the inseparability of humanity.

The retort to that of course, is that if all mankind became newtypes, wouldn't we be able to 'understand' each other?
And to that, I think it's possibly, yes, but in Tomino's mind, I think it's also a false hope. This would be seen in the way that he depicts newtypes as ephemeral, flawed, and often enough, humanly 'evil'.
That newtypes are magic answer to humanity's inherent disagreements and misundertandings - that even with the power of a newtype, we won't always understand each other. Did Scirocco and Kamille come to terms? Did Haman fold to Judau? They certainly came to 'understand' each other vividly, but there was no acceptance and agreement.
Also, we can see the continuance of the view that Newtypes are a freak 'phenomena' - not the true 'evolution' of mankind - this continues in the perpetual warring and divisons of humanity in Later UC. (yeah just noticed that, I'm mixing meta and in-universe, which is terrible, and not at all good reasoning.)

And actually, my second point for why the Axis drop would not have been some beneficial event lies in that too. Newtypes are never the answer; that's why so many of the AUs are flawed in having their magical, idealistic 'understandings' (yes, I'm pointing at Trailblazer).
The colonies may have been unified under Char's Neo Zeon; mankind may have come to the stars, but corruption and mankind's selfishness would remain. Would Char step down from being dictator and revolutionary? Would he unite mankind under an iron rule?
If not, could anyone truly trust a mass-murderers intentions? Would not his actions have lead to even further endless war?
Of course, there's speculation to this, but to truly end a conflict you have to defeat the root causes of it. By removing the Federation's grip, Char creates a vacuum in political leadership, while the defeat destruction of Earth wouldn't have even necessarily constituted a military victory.

However, if we ignore the political realities and focus on newtype ideals - a venture into space. It's possible. Possible that humanity as one could somehow gradually become newtypes - a people of understanding.
On the other-hand, if we take F91 and Victory into account, a constant and prolonged presence in space dos not eventuate in a newtype race.

So then we come to Unicorn. Unicorn posits that the 'hidden light' exists in everyone - if we take cyber newtypes into account, we can see that anyone has the capacity for these abilities. So everyone could theoretically become a newtype.

But we've seen that 'normal' newtypes (and cyber newtpes in particular) still have aggressive tendencies - even with the connectedness, hate can prevail (Judau v. Haman).
So in the end, within the confines of UC, I don't believe a complete newtype utopia could occur within the universe - it's just too far fetched and would require an all-knowing god-guiding hand.
If we gave humanity another couple of centuries or so, who knows?

Err, I drifted away from your initial question there, but newtype waffling is great, UC?

I'll umm... address your actual questions on the morality and consequences in a profile post or something... later.
CkanMay 21, 2014 10:35 AM
May 21, 2014 10:44 AM

Nov 2011
So, anyone want to deny that Banagher could have been a cyber-newtype, prior to his evolution to being a "true" newtype? He's seen hooked up to machines in his spontaneous flashbacks, and both Marida and Full Frontal alluded to Banagher's similarity to themselves. The OVA left it at that, but from what I read about in Wiki's, the novels left it ambiguous as well.

Also, newtypes have always been depicted to transcend space and time, e.g. telecommunication, premonitions, merging of memories. Newtypes are ever-evolving, so what sets Banagher's newtype abilities apart from others, so much as people claiming his transition an ascension to godhood? From what I remember, Syam deemed Mineva and Banagher true newtypes, and Riddhe was the only one that stated Banagher was a perfect newtype, and that was in a form of a query. Were "true" and "perfect" newtypes ever defined in-universe? Since 0079, newtype abilities could be attained through experience and understanding by anyone. Are "true" and "perfect" newtypes really any different?
May 21, 2014 10:45 AM
Oct 2010
Champloo_Remix said:

So with that in mind what would've happened if Neo Zeon would have kept the psycho frame tech to themselves? Would things have turned out differently for Neo Zeon? More importantly would Char have succeeded in his goal and would the world/universe afterward have been a very different place?

I don't think much would have changed, the active time on it pretty much prevents it from being totally dominant. If you noticed during the battles Unicorn and Banshee would constantly be switching in and out of destroy mode.. this is mostly due to the limiter and them reaching a point where they could activate it without requiring a newtype in the area.

Additionally the technology would have reached the Federation either way, it's just how war works. Anything that game changing is going to reach in enemy hands some way or the other.
May 21, 2014 10:52 AM

Mar 2008
MissileSoup said:
Also, newtypes have always been depicted to transcend space and time, e.g. telecommunication, premonitions, merging of memories. Newtypes are ever-evolving, so what sets Banagher's newtype abilities apart from others, so much as people claiming his transition an ascension to godhood? From what I remember, Syam deemed Mineva and Banagher true newtypes, and Riddhe was the only one that stated Banagher was a perfect newtype, and that was in a form of a query. Were "true" and "perfect" newtypes ever defined in-universe? Since 0079, newtype abilities could be attained through experience and understanding by anyone. Are "true" and "perfect" newtypes really any different?
Any clues to the cyber part of Banagher's newtypery will probably go unanswered without novel details. (heh)

There's definitely a level of continued mystery to what exactly is a 'newtype'. Both in-unverse and meta-wise, it's never absolutely defined. And that goes back to what I believe is Tomino's use of the newtype as both a vague metaphor and concept encompassing evolution, humanity, life, and possibility.
It gets difficult to find a clear notion of what newtypes 'mean' both because of in-universe differing accounts, and also the varying lucidity of Tomino's 'greater story'.
Is Zeta the ideological answer to 0079, or merely a somewhat connected work sharing characters and universe? I suppose, that since Tomino isn't a fully-controlling 'auteur', that we can interpret as we like and solely on the in-universe occurrences, but it's always worthwhile to remember the vaguer messages that newtypes represent.

Unicorn, I think in reflection of the author, takes Newtypes literally as a superhuman and evolved form of mankind - the end-point in enhanced/advanced evolution. The problem is when we try and align the vaguer metaphoric and idealistic elements with the literal, scientific/factual elements presented in the show.
CkanMay 21, 2014 10:56 AM
May 21, 2014 11:14 AM

Nov 2011
Ckan said:
Any clues to the cyber part of Banagher's newtypery will probably go unanswered without novel details. (heh)

There's definitely a level of continued mystery to what exactly is a 'newtype'. Both in-unverse and meta-wise, it's never absolutely defined. And that goes back to what I believe is Tomino's use of the newtype as both a vague metaphor and concept encompassing evolution, humanity, life, and possibility.
It gets difficult to find a clear notion of what newtypes 'mean' both because of in-universe differing accounts, and also the varying lucidity of Tomino's 'greater story'.
Is Zeta the ideological answer to 0079, or merely a somewhat connected work sharing characters and universe? I suppose, that since Tomino isn't a fully-controlling 'auteur', that we can interpret as we like and solely on the in-universe occurrences, but it's always worthwhile to remember the vaguer messages that newtypes represent.

Unicorn, I think in reflection of the author, takes Newtypes literally as a superhuman and evolved form of mankind - the end-point in enhanced/advanced evolution. The problem is when we try and align the vaguer metaphoric and idealistic elements with the literal, scientific/factual elements presented in the show.

Regarding Banagher being a cyber-newtype. I was actually hoping someone who read the novels could clear that up with an actual passage or section in the novels. I've seen novel-readers state confident but discrepant answers, and even more that claim it was left unanswered.

As for newtypes, it is definitely an abstract concept. However, I do believe Unicorn tries to go beyond that. Attaining newtype-hood is seen similar as gaining access to a 4th dimension, transcending of space and time. It would explain why newtypes exist beyond physical death, why Amuro, Char, and Lalah were able to reunite, all telecommunication and precognition, and the resonance and time travel between Banagher and Full Frontal. While newtype-ness can be metaphorical, the events in Unicorn do tie up with scientific elements, as far as fiction goes. Did Tomino have any supervision or direct influence in Unicorn?
May 21, 2014 11:48 AM

Mar 2008
MissileSoup said:
Regarding Banagher being a cyber-newtype. I was actually hoping someone who read the novels could clear that up with an actual passage or section in the novels. I've seen novel-readers state confident but discrepant answers, and even more that claim it was left unanswered.

As for newtypes, it is definitely an abstract concept. However, I do believe Unicorn tries to go beyond that. Attaining newtype-hood is seen similar as gaining access to a 4th dimension, transcending of space and time. It would explain why newtypes exist beyond physical death, why Amuro, Char, and Lalah were able to reunite, all telecommunication and precognition, and the resonance and time travel between Banagher and Full Frontal. While newtype-ness can be metaphorical, the events in Unicorn do tie up with scientific elements, as far as fiction goes. Did Tomino have any supervision or direct influence in Unicorn?
Obscured source material is always fun to deal with.

I agree that Unicorn does try to make its own image of, and develop the newtype concept. (Though as I haven't seen Victory yet, I can't say I've seen the full breadth of Tomino's depiction of it). Unicorn has done a fantastic job of assimilating all of UC and then forging its own story out of it - which is why it's such a great epilogue to UC and newtypes.
So far as I know, Tomino wasn't consulted on Unicorn, but he may have glimpsed over the novel before it was published; I have no idea. I don't believe he has much/any control over Gundam anymore.
May 21, 2014 12:02 PM

Aug 2013
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:

I also just realized how important that is. It was mentioned "what if Amuro had the Unicorn?". There's a good chance he couldn't even handle it.

Let's not jump to conclusions now. "Good chance" is kind of speculative. Given the impact-reducing suit and put on a leveled playing field it's not outside the realm of possibility Amuro could've hypothetically displayed the same type of Newtype power as Banagher. But again, this is all speculation.
Champloo_RemixMay 21, 2014 12:11 PM
May 21, 2014 12:07 PM

Aug 2013
Ckan said:
Champloo_Remix said:
Regarding Axis: sure but would that have been wrong?
But to make it short and sweet. What would have yielded/did yield the better result? What humanity have been better off moving into space and eventually all becoming Newtypes via Char's Rebellion or did the Earth Federation and Londo Bell's victory int he Second Neo Zeon War (plus Amuro's actions) open humanity's eyes at all?

That's why CCA is a very gray affair. It's not about discerning who's right or who's wrong because there's righteousness on both ends and wrongfulness on both ends.
Yep, this does come down to personal philosophy and is also convoluted by the fact that multiple motifs/themes of gundam double up; ie. bound by gravity/ earth's corruption vs emancipation of the colonies / venturing to space / = newtype ascendancy.

I'd like to think that there's two sort of 'answers' to this.

First, the way CCA ended was itself the 'right' and core message of Gundam. That newtypes are inconsequential in the sense that they're always an aspect of 'humanity' - that first and foremost, the sacredness of life, and the pettiness of mankind is the inseparability of humanity.

The retort to that of course, is that if all mankind became newtypes, wouldn't we be able to 'understand' each other?
And to that, I think it's possibly, yes, but in Tomino's mind, I think it's also a false hope. This would be seen in the way that he depicts newtypes as ephemeral, flawed, and often enough, humanly 'evil'.
That newtypes are magic answer to humanity's inherent disagreements and misundertandings - that even with the power of a newtype, we won't always understand each other. Did Scirocco and Kamille come to terms? Did Haman fold to Judau? They certainly came to 'understand' each other vividly, but there was no acceptance and agreement.
Also, we can see the continuance of the view that Newtypes are a freak 'phenomena' - not the true 'evolution' of mankind - this continues in the perpetual warring and divisons of humanity in Later UC. (yeah just noticed that, I'm mixing meta and in-universe, which is terrible, and not at all good reasoning.)

And actually, my second point for why the Axis drop would not have been some beneficial event lies in that too. Newtypes are never the answer; that's why so many of the AUs are flawed in having their magical, idealistic 'understandings' (yes, I'm pointing at Trailblazer).
The colonies may have been unified under Char's Neo Zeon; mankind may have come to the stars, but corruption and mankind's selfishness would remain. Would Char step down from being dictator and revolutionary? Would he unite mankind under an iron rule?
If not, could anyone truly trust a mass-murderers intentions? Would not his actions have lead to even further endless war?
Of course, there's speculation to this, but to truly end a conflict you have to defeat the root causes of it. By removing the Federation's grip, Char creates a vacuum in political leadership, while the defeat destruction of Earth wouldn't have even necessarily constituted a military victory.

However, if we ignore the political realities and focus on newtype ideals - a venture into space. It's possible. Possible that humanity as one could somehow gradually become newtypes - a people of understanding.
On the other-hand, if we take F91 and Victory into account, a constant and prolonged presence in space dos not eventuate in a newtype race.

So then we come to Unicorn. Unicorn posits that the 'hidden light' exists in everyone - if we take cyber newtypes into account, we can see that anyone has the capacity for these abilities. So everyone could theoretically become a newtype.

But we've seen that 'normal' newtypes (and cyber newtpes in particular) still have aggressive tendencies - even with the connectedness, hate can prevail (Judau v. Haman).
So in the end, within the confines of UC, I don't believe a complete newtype utopia could occur within the universe - it's just too far fetched and would require an all-knowing god-guiding hand.
If we gave humanity another couple of centuries or so, who knows?

Err, I drifted away from your initial question there, but newtype waffling is great, UC?

I'll umm... address your actual questions on the morality and consequences in a profile post or something... later.

This was a really great post and read that I can agree with. There's always that "newtype element" that makes the seemingly impossible possible but I liked what you were getting at with Tomino's possible message in CCA that there's no "magic solution" to mankind's problems. I think that's something of interest. That in itself either a) turns UC Gundam's identity up to that point on its head or b) Merely opens our eyes to a message that was there all along
May 21, 2014 12:11 PM

Mar 2008
Champloo_Remix said:
ex_necross said:
Let's not jump to conclusions now. "Good chance" is kind of speculative. Given the impact-reducing suit and put on a leveled playing field it's not outside the realm of possibility Amuro could've hypothetically displayed the same type of Newtype power as Banagher. But again, this is all speculation.
I agree that it's a little much to assume Amuro would be incapable of handling Unicorn - though he may not have been brought to the same level of 'awakening' as Banagher - that would be safer to assume.

As things go, I like to think of Amuro as an 'experienced' newtype - which matches nicely with his veteran skills and maturity. He's not the most powerful of the protagonists (Zeta, ZZ, CCA), but his continued exposure to the key UC conflicts, and his strong connection with powerful newtypes; Char and Lalah, are perhaps what kept him above the cyber/newtype and allowed for the Axis Shock (along with the other pilots there).

Taking that into account, I think it fits nicely to assume that Banagher is a stronger newtype even at base-line, than Amuro. The only thing I can think of that Amuro has done greater than Banagher would be his messaging at A Baoa Qu, as I can't remember Banagher ever having that showing that level of telepathic communication. (We might also put this down to how close the White Base crew had grown.)

Kamille and Judau on the other hand, I think, would give Banagher a run for his money on raw-power.
May 21, 2014 12:16 PM

Aug 2013
Ckan said:
As things go, I like to think of Amuro as an 'experienced' newtype - which matches nicely with his veteran skills and maturity. He's not the most powerful of the protagonists (Zeta, ZZ, CCA), but his continued exposure to the key UC conflicts, and his strong connection with powerful newtypes; Char and Lalah, are perhaps what kept him above the cyber/newtype and allowed for the Axis Shock (along with the other pilots there).

Taking that into account, I think it fits nicely to assume that Banagher is a stronger newtype even at base-line, than Amuro. The only thing I can think of that Amuro has done greater than Banagher would be his messaging at A Baoa Qu, as I can't remember Banagher ever having that showing that level of telepathic communication. (We might also put this down to how close the White Base crew had grown.)

Kamille and Judau on the other hand, I think, would give Banagher a run for his money on raw-power.

Wasn't it alluded to that the White Base crew were budding Newtypes as well (can't remember if that wound up being true to whatever degree)? That might've also played a part in the telepathic messages if that was the case.

Who do you think is the stronger Newtype? Kamille or Judau? I think I remember reading online that Tomino supposedly said that Judau is the strongest Newtype by the end of ZZ but don't quote me on that either.

And yeah I think although Amuro may not be the strongest Newtype he's probably the best pilot in UC and experience+the maturation as a Newtype as you said goes a long way.

skudoops said:
Champloo_Remix said:

So with that in mind what would've happened if Neo Zeon would have kept the psycho frame tech to themselves? Would things have turned out differently for Neo Zeon? More importantly would Char have succeeded in his goal and would the world/universe afterward have been a very different place?

I don't think much would have changed, the active time on it pretty much prevents it from being totally dominant. If you noticed during the battles Unicorn and Banshee would constantly be switching in and out of destroy mode.. this is mostly due to the limiter and them reaching a point where they could activate it without requiring a newtype in the area.

Additionally the technology would have reached the Federation either way, it's just how war works. Anything that game changing is going to reach in enemy hands some way or the other.

Well I think one thing that absolutely would've changed is the ending would have been different if you catch my drift.
Champloo_RemixMay 21, 2014 12:19 PM
May 21, 2014 2:17 PM

Jun 2013
Champloo_Remix said:

No I think Amuro probably could pilot it. "Good chance" meant it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Ckan said:

I never really got the impression that Kamille or Judau were "better" newtypes or pilots than Amuro. Somehow I don't think Kamille could have survived some of the encounters Amuro did, especially vs. Char.
May 21, 2014 2:30 PM
Jul 2012
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:

No I think Amuro probably could pilot it. "Good chance" meant it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Ckan said:

I never really got the impression that Kamille or Judau were "better" newtypes or pilots than Amuro. Somehow I don't think Kamille could have survived some of the encounters Amuro did, especially vs. Char.
It's already been stated by the creators. Judau is the strongest Newtype i nterms of raw power. However Amuro has had maaaaany more years of piloting skill than the other gundam newtypes. So naturally he would be the best newtype mobile suit pilot out of them.
May 21, 2014 2:38 PM

Jun 2013
Zadine05 said:
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:

Ckan said:

It's already been stated by the creators. Judau is the strongest Newtype i nterms of raw power. However Amuro has had maaaaany more years of piloting skill than the other gundam newtypes. So naturally he would be the best newtype mobile suit pilot out of them.

I don't recall such a statement.
May 21, 2014 5:04 PM

Apr 2012
AllStarNemesis said:

Wars don't breed more wars.

History don't agree with you my friend.

In terms of new type powers, sure i agree that Banagher is superior than Judau, Kamille and Amuro combined. But in terms of raw piloting skills Amuro takes the cake.

New type powers =/= Piloting skills
May 21, 2014 6:06 PM

May 2014
AllStarNemesis said:

Wars don't breed more wars.
ex_necross said:
lol

RedgraveGilver said:
History don't agree with you my friend.

Looking at the wars fought in the last century; WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq. With the exception of the latter two which were launched almost simaeltaneously by the same country and administration. All the others were waged for different reasons that, independent of what the preceding war was launched for. You can also see the apprehension of countries to become involved in another war. E.g. European counties and the US after WWI didn't immediately act against Hitler's Germany. Another example would be Western countries, Russia and China seemingly disinterest to get involved in a protracted conflict with Syria, Iran or North Korea. Despite the aforementioned countries aggressive stance, nuclear aspirations and crimes against their own populace.

With the UC we have the OYW which saw half of of humanity be wiped out. 6 years later the war against the Titans which saw heavy casualties for all sides. The first Neo Zeon war a year after the battle with the Titans. 5 years after that the 2nd Neo Zeon war; with again more civilian and military casualties. Unicorn was building to a 3rd Neo Zeon war for the Laplace Box but was nipped in the bud before it could gain traction.

With how frequent wars happen in the UC, there seems to be no progress made despite the large costs of life, resources and habitable environments.

RedgraveGilver said:
In terms of new type powers, sure i agree that Banagher is superior than Judau, Kamille and Amuro combined. But in terms of raw piloting skills Amuro takes the cake.

New type powers =/= Piloting skills

I never got the impression Banagher was all the powerful. Sure stopping the Gryps laser with the Unicorn and Riddhe's assistance is an impressive feat. But like Judau, the power of the gundam seemed to be what made his feats possible. The Unicorn is a OP machine and with the NT-D system, it virtually pilots itself. Substitute Amuro, Kamille or Judau in the Unicorn at the height of their newtype powers and task them with stopping the Gryps laser, I'm sure they could accomplish it also.
May 21, 2014 6:55 PM

Jan 2014
Interesting debate here.

Personally I don't buy this whole godhood/complete/transcendent thing, mainly because Riddhe, who is the only person to have a called him such, is far from being a reliable source. Lets face it, he spent hours piloting a full body Psyco-frame mobile suite, which can only have the NT-D system activated by a newtype pilot, before Banaghe pointed out to him that he was a newtype (kind of like how he spent 3 whole episodes piloting a Gundam in the Delta Plus before Marida pointed that out to him). There's also no way he could have fully understood what that meant, it too Amuro, Kamille, Judae and even Banagher some time to come to grips (Gryps?) with that. Also, as far as him being called a true newtype, I'm pretty certain thats just the terminology that Universal Century uses to differentiate between natural and Cyber newtypes and all it means is that someone like Full Frontal or Marida couldn't have opened the La+ program.

More importantly, I don't think anything happened to him at the end of Unicorn that didn't happen to Amuro and Char at the end of CCA. That force field that blocked the Gryps II colony laser was definitely an "Axis Shock" event which we already know is two psyco-frames resonating with each other and feeding off the conscious will of the pilots who are in turn connected to the people around them (the Jegan and Gear Doga pilots in CCA, the Nahel Argama and people on Industrial 7 in Unicorn). Personally I reckon that the psyco-frame pulls so hard on the pilots consciousness that it literally tears them from their body. I think the difference here is that Banaghe would have fought to stay put and get back to Mineva whilst Char and Amuro would have wanted to go on to see Lalah Sune.

With regards to who's the most powerful newtype, I haven't seen anything in Unicorn that would suggest Banaghe was any more powerful than Amuro or Char, leaving Kamille and Judau as the clear favourites in this respect. I've always felt that Kamille was the more powerful but Tomino himself has said that Judau is No 1.

With piloting skills, easily Amuro.
May 21, 2014 7:27 PM

Aug 2013
Imateria said:
Interesting debate here.

Personally I don't buy this whole godhood/complete/transcendent thing, mainly because Riddhe, who is the only person to have a called him such, is far from being a reliable source. Lets face it, he spent hours piloting a full body Psyco-frame mobile suite, which can only have the NT-D system activated by a newtype pilot, before Banaghe pointed out to him that he was a newtype (kind of like how he spent 3 whole episodes piloting a Gundam in the Delta Plus before Marida pointed that out to him). There's also no way he could have fully understood what that meant, it too Amuro, Kamille, Judae and even Banagher some time to come to grips (Gryps?) with that. Also, as far as him being called a true newtype, I'm pretty certain thats just the terminology that Universal Century uses to differentiate between natural and Cyber newtypes and all it means is that someone like Full Frontal or Marida couldn't have opened the La+ program.

More importantly, I don't think anything happened to him at the end of Unicorn that didn't happen to Amuro and Char at the end of CCA. That force field that blocked the Gryps II colony laser was definitely an "Axis Shock" event which we already know is two psyco-frames resonating with each other and feeding off the conscious will of the pilots who are in turn connected to the people around them (the Jegan and Gear Doga pilots in CCA, the Nahel Argama and people on Industrial 7 in Unicorn). Personally I reckon that the psyco-frame pulls so hard on the pilots consciousness that it literally tears them from their body. I think the difference here is that Banaghe would have fought to stay put and get back to Mineva whilst Char and Amuro would have wanted to go on to see Lalah Sune.

With regards to who's the most powerful newtype, I haven't seen anything in Unicorn that would suggest Banaghe was any more powerful than Amuro or Char, leaving Kamille and Judau as the clear favourites in this respect. I've always felt that Kamille was the more powerful but Tomino himself has said that Judau is No 1.

The one thing that seems to be escaping me is where some of you guys are getting "godhood" from. Are you basing that on how OP Banagher and Unicorn were by the end of it or did someone in the subbed version (I watched dubbed) actually say something about godhood? Or are you guys just speaking figuratively?

Because again if you ask me I think Banagher being the true realization of the Newtype Zeon Deikun predicted gives off a better feeling sense in the context of the Gundam universe. He's what the Newtype is supposed to be at the pinnacle of human evolution and what the rest of humanity can eventually potentially become.

Side note:

I'd be interested in reading up on the finer details/mechanics of psycho frame. One could hypothesize depending on the Gundam mythos that it was because Amuro and Char had such little psychoframe to perhaps focus and stabilize their own Newtype powers during the Axis shock that they perished as a result of their own combined power being too much for their physical bodies to withstand. So in fact perhaps the reason Amuro met the fate that he did wasn't because he was weak in any capacity but because the Nu Gundam wasn't strong enough of a psycho-machine/psychoframed MS to stabilize/focus Amuro's Newtype power safely. But that's just one theory regarding why Banagher and Amuro met different ends. Makes you think what if Amuro had the Unicorn (and if Char had the Sinanju for that matter)?
Champloo_RemixMay 21, 2014 7:37 PM
May 21, 2014 9:11 PM

Jun 2013
Champloo_Remix said:
Imateria said:
Interesting debate here.

The one thing that seems to be escaping me is where some of you guys are getting "godhood" from. Are you basing that on how OP Banagher and Unicorn were by the end of it or did someone in the subbed version (I watched dubbed) actually say something about godhood? Or are you guys just speaking figuratively?

Because again if you ask me I think Banagher being the true realization of the Newtype Zeon Deikun predicted gives off a better feeling sense in the context of the Gundam universe. He's what the Newtype is supposed to be at the pinnacle of human evolution and what the rest of humanity can eventually potentially become.

Side note:

I'd be interested in reading up on the finer details/mechanics of psycho frame. One could hypothesize depending on the Gundam mythos that it was because Amuro and Char had such little psychoframe to perhaps focus and stabilize their own Newtype powers during the Axis shock that they perished as a result of their own combined power being too much for their physical bodies to withstand. So in fact perhaps the reason Amuro met the fate that he did wasn't because he was weak in any capacity but because the Nu Gundam wasn't strong enough of a psycho-machine/psychoframed MS to stabilize/focus Amuro's Newtype power safely. But that's just one theory regarding why Banagher and Amuro met different ends. Makes you think what if Amuro had the Unicorn (and if Char had the Sinanju for that matter)?

Not sure where the term "godhood" first came from, but I used the term because many others do (a quick google search of "banagher godhood" will show you that). I assume it's because he acquires god-like powers in the end. Not sure that the actual word was ever used in official media though.
May 21, 2014 10:27 PM
Jun 2012
Champloo_Remix said:
arzter said:
This Gundam was so Epic and really Sentimental for me and i have to admit , its the best by far in which i watched a few Gundams such as Gundam Wing , Seed , Destiny , 00 and Age . Can anyone help me in the list of Gundam i should watched to completely understand unicorn ? I have MSG the movie Trilogy , Zeta , CCA , Evolve , 08th as well as IGLOO ( in which im not sure whether its related or not) . All those i listed is the one i recently *ehem* get bfr i watched the final ep of unicorn . I Watched the trilogy to actually understand who was Audrey's dad as well as Lalah and Char and get to know Amuro .

P/S : Is it safe to assume that Banagher is a better newtype as well as a Gundam Pilot than Amuro Ray ?

MSG/0079
Operation Stardust Memory
Zeta
ZZ
Char's Counterattack

watch in that order. If you got sentimental having seen nothing but the trilogy films than I you're heart would've been physically shedding tears had you taken the journey leading up to Unicorn lol.

I personally advise against watching any of the summary films for Gundam because each time the anime series is a better option imo as far as getting the depth and connection to the story and characters. But out of all the summary films I've seen the MSG trilogy is probably the most well put together.

No it's not safe imo. Better pilot? Absolutely not. Amuro as far as I'm concerned is still the best Universal Century pilot clearly. If you put Amuro in a Rick Dias he's still able to wipe out mobile suits/armors that vastly outclass his own. Amuro's a legit ace PILOT. Best/better newtype is now an interesting debate with Unicorn.

Because if you yank Amuro and put him in the Unicorn Gundam would he or would he not have been able to pull off what Banagher did? How much of Banagher's success was a result of just having the Unicorn Gundam itself? These are all questions you have to ask yourself.

Now with the way the anime painted Banagher in the end (insinuating he's a "true/perfected Newtype") I'd lean more towards Banagher probably being one of the if not the strongest Newtypes in UC. I think the big equalizer is the Unicorn Gundam that's entire body is made up of/with psychoframe as opposed to say Amuro's Nu Gundam whose cockpit was the only bit of psycoframe in/on the suit. But at the end of the day I still see Banagher as a competent Gundam pilot and possibly one of the strongest Newtypes in Universal Century.

Side note:

kind of an interesting thing to consider the origins of the psychoframe...who came up with it and how the Earth Federation/Anaheim Electronics got their hands on it.

Thanks for the list of Gundam Series that i need to watch . Really appreciate it :) .
In reading all those debates i come to agreed that , Banagher is probably a better Newtype but in terms of GPilot Amuro Rays is better than everyone .

Still there's one thing that i don't get, regarding whether Banagher is a ''True Newtype'' bfr this or sorts of . because , (sorry I couldn't add the image of the screenshot) If you guys remember in Episode 2 of Gundam Unicorn , it shows that when Banagher was a kid he went through a training (in which I'm not sure what type of training whether on being a Newtype or something..)
And in Episode 6 when Full Frontal said to Banagher that ' You, Who have been entrusted with you Father's dream and been forced to undergo training, are a Cyber-Newtype of sorts . ( I don't remember that Banagher tell Full Frontal about that tho...)

I think I'm wrong on this but I just can't get it out of my head and seek some answer from you guys , which had already understand from the very first MSG until MSG UC .

May 21, 2014 10:38 PM
Oct 2010
Imateria said:
Interesting debate here.

Lets face it, he spent hours piloting a full body Psyco-frame mobile suite, which can only have the NT-D system activated by a newtype pilot, before Banaghe pointed out to him that he was a newtype (kind of like how he spent 3 whole episodes piloting a Gundam in the Delta Plus before Marida pointed that out to him)..

As far as I'm aware the NT-D System doesn't need a newtype pilot, it just needs to detect an enemy one. I'm not going to say this with full confidence but IIRC the NT-D system was developed for non newtypes to fight newtypes. It has a 5 minute timer so that you don't "fry your brain". However the way it works newtypes would benefit greatly from using it.
May 21, 2014 10:59 PM

Mar 2008
@arzter
We're only debating this because we want to. See how civil it's been?
skudoops said:
As far as I'm aware the NT-D System doesn't need a newtype pilot, it just needs to detect an enemy one. I'm not going to say this with full confidence but IIRC the NT-D system was developed for non newtypes to fight newtypes. It has a 5 minute timer so that you don't "fry your brain". However the way it works newtypes would benefit greatly from using it.
I believe this is correct, although given the Vist-mastermind elements revealed in this episode, it may be fair to say that it was also made with the true intention of 'revealing' a 'true' newtype, whatever that may mean.

ex_necross said:
Ckan said:
I think you could be confusing their combined strength as a pilot with their newtype powers (an admittedly vague thing to distinguish). Of course, there's never been a clear outright statement, so this is open to interpretation, but what's most stand-out is that Kamille and Judau have created physical manifestations of their power in combat. The most obvious is when they created 'barriers' - similar or the same as that of Banagher, but also when Judau (once?) remotely combined ZZ without the use of pilots.
Amuro's greatest feat in comparison was the Axis shock - which clearly relied on the power of many wills, not just his.
Of course, this could be countered by saying that some of Kamille/Judau's feats involved similar newtype ghosts, and I can't remember all the details of each encounter, so I can't argue that through.
However, it was my impression while watching Zeta an ZZ that the two of them gained familiarity and abilities as newtypes far faster and far more commonly than Amuro. Another instance that may be telling is when Judau's rage - outside of his gundam, created a frightening figure that caused even Haman Karn to flee in terror.
As for Kamille, I certainly cannot shake the feeling of him being one of the most powerful potential newtypes. Where Judau brute-forced his abilities - Kamille had incredible sensitivity, which we can see
Actually, that state is perhaps very comparable to Banagher's when he had just returned from his 'transcended' trance. I have the feeling they took inspiration from it. 'Fa...'
May 21, 2014 11:08 PM

May 2014
Ckan said:
Another instance that may be telling is when Judau's rage - outside of his gundam, created a frightening figure that caused even Haman Karn to flee in terror.

Dozle Zabi also created a frightening shadow right before he died. Maybe it's a newtype manifestation of their hatred and lust to kill. Dozle to kill Amuro and Judau to kill Haman.
May 21, 2014 11:26 PM

Mar 2008
Champloo_Remix said:

While I don't think he literally became a 'god' - I think I can explain.
Riddhe says in awe "so this is a kansei sareta newtype", (my ears could be wrong), and that roughly translates to a "completed/perfected newtype". That is to say, it's been made/aided/finished - to a 'full/final form'. That's my interpretation of those words, and I have no fluency in Japanese, so take that how you will.

Now, at this point Banagher has flied off leaving a green newtype trail and proceeds to disable whole mobile suits remotely. Riddhe chases after him to 'bring him back'.
Banagher then proceeds - (eyes closed in a presumably trance/coma-like state) - to disable the whole lot of General Revil's mobile suits remotely. Lets also not forget the earlier magic crystallisation of the Unicorn which disappears when Banagher is 'brought back'.

So here, combining Riddhe's testimony, and Banagher's state and abilities - we can see that he truly has reached a level of 'ascendancy' - the perfection of a newtype.

Now, this becomes speculation. Often with high-end newtypes, during their emotional death; the peak of their power, they become one in both as a ghost in the green light - see the tears of time/etc.
This seems to be a state that can only be reached/seen by the most sensitive/powerful newtypes - and even then, only the ones personally connected with the victim.
Seeing Banagher's state's similarity to the newtype death, we can presume that his ascendancy as a perfected newtype has made him a completely different being beyond that of all newtypes before. However, from his actions and Riddhe's statements, we can see that in doing so, he's given up/losing his connection to the material world. Thus Riddhe says he's going too far - and has to bring him back.

Now what does this mean? I will say that this doesn't make him a 'God' in the classic sense - but that his abilities and transcendence to the 'newtype light plane' have made him as close to a godly being as is possible in Universal Century.

In reference to newtype theory, we can see this as the final form of Zeon Deikun's theory. Add to that Syam Vist (I believe it was?) who discussed how the newtype was a 'kami' within every person. This is, I think important to that theory of humanity's capability to develop newtype powers as a potential stage - the theme depicted in Unicorn.
In Japan, 'kami', roughly translated as 'god' are actually more similar to 'divine spirits'. Kami reside in all sorts of things, and aren't so much identified with the western Judeo-Christian concept of an almighty God. This is telling, because when they say that the potential as a newtype is a the 'kami in man', it evokes the sort of vitalistic being; a concept of spiritual power that resides, and is part of a particular object: people, as individuals.

So, when Riddhe says "the possibility is enough', he tells us that Banagher has ascended to that other plane - but a state which is far from humanity, reachable only by the 'incomplete' newtypes. I would also go so far as to suggest that perhaps in death, certain newtypes become largely 'perfected' as they become one with those who have gone before them.

I hope I've clarified a little that Banagher has not necessarily become the omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent God (although he has much of those powers), but that he appears to have become the next stage or final form of Newtype - a state of being which literally is so like that of the dead Ghosts, that he perhaps no longer saw the material world, but the flowing time where he was himself a child in the arms of his father.

AllStarNemesis said:
Ckan said:
Another instance that may be telling is when Judau's rage - outside of his gundam, created a frightening figure that caused even Haman Karn to flee in terror.
Dozle Zabi also created a frightening shadow right before he died. Maybe it's a newtype manifestation of their hatred and lust to kill. Dozle to kill Amuro and Judau to kill Haman.
This, I can agree with. Although I don't remember if Dozle directed it at Amuro personally.

Really, I'm grasping at straws, as I can't recall the varying instances of Kamille/Judau having high-precognition and telepathy. It's really been a while since I've seen the shows.

Actually, it might be possible to bring in 'newtype attraction' into this, but that's another quagmire of relativity.
May 22, 2014 4:49 AM

Jan 2014
skudoops said:
Imateria said:
Interesting debate here.

Lets face it, he spent hours piloting a full body Psyco-frame mobile suite, which can only have the NT-D system activated by a newtype pilot, before Banaghe pointed out to him that he was a newtype (kind of like how he spent 3 whole episodes piloting a Gundam in the Delta Plus before Marida pointed that out to him)..

Since I'm not trying to type out a post at 3am I can think about this better. Your probably right that the NT-D system itself doesn't need a newtype to activate it however it's directly linked to the psyco-frames and without any question that does need a newtype to activate because no newtype means no psyco waves and nothing to control it or turn it on.
May 22, 2014 5:01 AM

Jan 2014
@Ckan- I'm pretty certain that the "Kami" referred to throughout Unicorn is Possibility, a more overarching and vague concept that newtypism.

I really hope that Hathaway's Flash gets animated now, as it happens 9 years later it would be interesting to see what effects, if any, Mineva's speech had on the Federation and it also makes for an ending to Bright Noa's story. Mind you, the Xi Gundam is enormous, Bandai might have trouble making an MG of that that's affordable. Heck, whilst I'm at it redo F91 into the full series it was meant to be.
May 22, 2014 5:38 AM

Aug 2012
This is such a great episode. I like how they add in all those old and MSV mobile suit into this episode. 10/10
May 22, 2014 6:05 AM

Nov 2009
i thought in that final scene that banagher almost died from going "overkill" of his "perfect" newtype phase...and the people that made him return to life and consciousness, was riddhe, audrey, and whom really helped, the ghost of his father cardeas.
sauteed_roachesMay 22, 2014 6:23 AM

May 22, 2014 7:10 AM

Aug 2013
Ckan said:
Champloo_Remix said:

While I don't think he literally became a 'god' - I think I can explain.
Riddhe says in awe "so this is a kansei sareta newtype", (my ears could be wrong), and that roughly translates to a "completed/perfected newtype". That is to say, it's been made/aided/finished - to a 'full/final form'. That's my interpretation of those words, and I have no fluency in Japanese, so take that how you will.

Now, at this point Banagher has flied off leaving a green newtype trail and proceeds to disable whole mobile suits remotely. Riddhe chases after him to 'bring him back'.
Banagher then proceeds - (eyes closed in a presumably trance/coma-like state) - to disable the whole lot of General Revil's mobile suits remotely. Lets also not forget the earlier magic crystallisation of the Unicorn which disappears when Banagher is 'brought back'.

So here, combining Riddhe's testimony, and Banagher's state and abilities - we can see that he truly has reached a level of 'ascendancy' - the perfection of a newtype.

Now, this becomes speculation. Often with high-end newtypes, during their emotional death; the peak of their power, they become one in both as a ghost in the green light - see the tears of time/etc.
This seems to be a state that can only be reached/seen by the most sensitive/powerful newtypes - and even then, only the ones personally connected with the victim.
Seeing Banagher's state's similarity to the newtype death, we can presume that his ascendancy as a perfected newtype has made him a completely different being beyond that of all newtypes before. However, from his actions and Riddhe's statements, we can see that in doing so, he's given up/losing his connection to the material world. Thus Riddhe says he's going too far - and has to bring him back.

Now what does this mean? I will say that this doesn't make him a 'God' in the classic sense - but that his abilities and transcendence to the 'newtype light plane' have made him as close to a godly being as is possible in Universal Century.

In reference to newtype theory, we can see this as the final form of Zeon Deikun's theory. Add to that Syam Vist (I believe it was?) who discussed how the newtype was a 'kami' within every person. This is, I think important to that theory of humanity's capability to develop newtype powers as a potential stage - the theme depicted in Unicorn.
In Japan, 'kami', roughly translated as 'god' are actually more similar to 'divine spirits'. Kami reside in all sorts of things, and aren't so much identified with the western Judeo-Christian concept of an almighty God. This is telling, because when they say that the potential as a newtype is a the 'kami in man', it evokes the sort of vitalistic being; a concept of spiritual power that resides, and is part of a particular object: people, as individuals.

So, when Riddhe says "the possibility is enough', he tells us that Banagher has ascended to that other plane - but a state which is far from humanity, reachable only by the 'incomplete' newtypes. I would also go so far as to suggest that perhaps in death, certain newtypes become largely 'perfected' as they become one with those who have gone before them.

I hope I've clarified a little that Banagher has not necessarily become the omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent God (although he has much of those powers), but that he appears to have become the next stage or final form of Newtype - a state of being which literally is so like that of the dead Ghosts, that he perhaps no longer saw the material world, but the flowing time where he was himself a child in the arms of his father.

AllStarNemesis said:
Ckan said:
This, I can agree with. Although I don't remember if Dozle directed it at Amuro personally.

Really, I'm grasping at straws, as I can't recall the varying instances of Kamille/Judau having high-precognition and telepathy. It's really been a while since I've seen the shows.

Actually, it might be possible to bring in 'newtype attraction' into this, but that's another quagmire of relativity.

I see. I think I get you.

Riddhe says that exact same "perfected Newtype" bit in the dub too. I think "godhood" feels like "Banagher became a god among men" when in reality while again Banagher may have been the first that is what all of humanity can become. He was the harbinger of what could come in the future for humanity. That

And with all the times "an inner God of possibility" came up I kinda thought the message was that everyone regardless if they've awakened as Newtypes or not (humanity as a whole) have "an inner God called possibility". Anyone can choose to believe in the possibilities you know? So therefore I suppose you could use "godhood" in the respect that everybody has that potential "inner god called possibility" within themselves. But when a real/perfected Newtype such as Banagher chose to embrace this "god" it was able to be manifested physically (if that makes any sense) through him being a true Newtype.

So really to make this all short and sweet I feel like godhood (as long as it's not meant in the literal sense because Banagher and Unicorn were OP by the end of it) is fine in certain respects but it's worth noting that everyone has an inner God called possibility. And above all else Banagher was the first of what could/should've come for humanity (and again ironic that this all just so happened to fit what Zeon Deikun predicted at the very beginning of Gundam). So basically what I'm trying to say I think is that I disagree with saying Banagher reached "godhood" strictly based on how OP he and Unicorn were at the end (because really across Gundam you've seen glimpses of this type of thing as well). For the reasons you stated I can understand the usage of the term but with that in mind everybody has that inner god called possibility within themselves.

But really I guess it's not that big of a deal. I'm nitpicking over a choice of words I disagree with lol.
Champloo_RemixMay 22, 2014 7:15 AM
May 22, 2014 7:51 AM

Jun 2013
It seems I will have to rewatch ZZ to fully be able to keep up with you guys. ZZ is my weakest point in the series as it's the only Gundam series I haven't watched multiple times. I recall most of it, and understand all of it, but when specific scenes are analyzed is when I get hazy.

Offtopic: The Schuzrum Galluss is quickly becoming one of my favorite Grunts. I love the infiltrator, only partly armored and suicide-ish role it plays. Plus the model is shaping up to be totally badass

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-f-kRwRvGty4/U3Qt1Qpm-qI/AAAAAAABDis/SE8mM54DCO4/s1600/th089.jpg
ex_necrossMay 22, 2014 8:00 AM
May 22, 2014 8:13 AM

Mar 2008
Imateria said:
@Ckan- I'm pretty certain that the "Kami" referred to throughout Unicorn is Possibility, a more overarching and vague concept that newtypism
You could very well be right, though I see the two issues as interlinked. (Now I'm going to waffle on irrelevantly.)
Gundam has always been about the flaw of humanity - the constant pull of divisions, hatred and conflict. And against that, it has shown the Newtype as a false wish, but also a reflection of humanity's good: our potential.

(tl;dr ahead)

And now with Unicorn, a new young newtype is brought back from infinity of final freedom, because he too, believes and loves humanity. Perhaps it could be said that newtypes, are those empowered and cursed with a greater propensity to understand. Even in that understanding there is no obvious answer, but perhaps it points to that tiny light: that one day, humanity might be able to love more than hate; to progress rather than regress; to make peace and not war. Then that potential godhood; that prayer in the form of man; then will it have helped light the way for the true ascendancy to come.

In the end we need not gods, but the hope found from them.
May 22, 2014 9:14 AM
Oct 2010
Imateria said:
skudoops said:
Imateria said:
Interesting debate here.

Since I'm not trying to type out a post at 3am I can think about this better. Your probably right that the NT-D system itself doesn't need a newtype to activate it however it's directly linked to the psyco-frames and without any question that does need a newtype to activate because no newtype means no psyco waves and nothing to control it or turn it on.

That's true, but what I was pointing out was that as far as I can tell, riddhe didn't know this, so you can't really hold it against him.
May 22, 2014 9:36 AM

Nov 2012
Oh god the Laplace box ended up being completely ridiculous, thank god it doesn't change anything.
I mean what if the article wasn't actually removed? We'd even have Newtypes like Scirocco in the administration
Unicorn was also ridiculously over powered, it seems like it surpasses even the F91 judging from the way it took out the Neo-Zeong and how it stopped the colony laser yet surviving that blast.

But anyways this was a nice UC fan wank as it called back to the earlier UC series.

Ckan said:
@arzter
We're only debating this because we want to. See how civil it's been?
skudoops said:
I believe this is correct, although given the Vist-mastermind elements revealed in this episode, it may be fair to say that it was also made with the true intention of 'revealing' a 'true' newtype, whatever that may mean.

I remember it stating that the pilot of the Unicorn has to be a Newtype.

Ckan said:
Imateria said:
@Ckan- I'm pretty certain that the "Kami" referred to throughout Unicorn is Possibility, a more overarching and vague concept that newtypism
You could very well be right, though I see the two issues as interlinked. (Now I'm going to waffle on irrelevantly.)
Gundam has always been about the flaw of humanity - the constant pull of divisions, hatred and conflict. And against that, it has shown the Newtype as a false wish, but also a reflection of humanity's good: our potential.

(tl;dr ahead)

And now with Unicorn, a new young newtype is brought back from infinity of final freedom, because he too, believes and loves humanity. Perhaps it could be said that newtypes, are those empowered and cursed with a greater propensity to understand. Even in that understanding there is no obvious answer, but perhaps it points to that tiny light: that one day, humanity might be able to love more than hate; to progress rather than regress; to make peace and not war. Then that potential godhood; that prayer in the form of man; then will it have helped light the way for the true ascendancy to come.

In the end we need not gods, but the hope found from them.
this is why I love you.
RX-782May 22, 2014 9:42 AM
May 22, 2014 10:19 AM

Nov 2011

Quote's a bit long, so I spoiler'ed it.

You explained what I was trying to say a while back. The point I was trying to make, while not elaborate, was that Banagher didn't transcend all previous newtypes in the sense of becoming an entirely new entity and ascending to a "perfected" state, as others have done the same beyond physical death. I believe it was Marida that said the next/final step in newtype evolution would be to achieve that level while in their physical bodies. Whether or not Banagher did that is debatable, depending on whether you consider him dead or alive between the moments when the RX-0 crystallizes to when Riddhe calls him back by threatening to steal his girlfriend (not serious). If you assume he was dead before called back, then he merely "caught a glimpse" of the plane of deceased newtypes, and achieve the same state only in death, as per usual. If you want to consider him alive, then sure you can say he ascended to "godhood" and became a perfect newtype, but for that moment only. However, it's still hardly transcending anything.
MissileSoupMay 22, 2014 10:28 AM
May 22, 2014 2:07 PM

Apr 2013
Good ending but I hate how Marida was killed by that bastard. I was hoping he would die in the laser blast.
May 22, 2014 7:47 PM

Dec 2008
It was looking like a 'touch and go' for Banagher. I was worried. If Banagher would have died, I would have just raged against all things Gundam!

Bright Noa, my body is always ready for you! ~_^

8/10
Hannah_AnaMay 22, 2014 7:53 PM
May 22, 2014 10:14 PM

Jun 2010
i watch the all previous ep again then this,,, wow its so much better,, i really like the finale
so char is dead? my fav character :((
whatever its still 10/10 from me xD
May 23, 2014 5:49 AM

Jan 2014
Yeah, Char and Amuro both died at the end of CCA.

Great posts from Ckan and MissileSoup, pretty much agree with you both.

As for the after effects of Mineva's speech, I suspect that in the long run it's what weekend the Federation and allowed the Crossbone Vanguard to take Frontier I- IV colonies from Side 4 and then for the Zanscare Empire to launch it's attack in Victory Gundam.
May 23, 2014 4:27 PM

Apr 2012
Because Cosmo Babylonia and the Jupiter threat were peaceful flowery parades. Before Zanscare started chopping heads off, the Earth Sphere was getting raped by Iron Mask's bugs. Earth was invaded by the Jupiter Empire and then was almost turn into space dust by the Zeus Colony Laser if it weren't for the efforts of the legendary Steel Seven.

Then Victory happened. The Crossbone Vanguard era is twice as bloody than Victory. I still find Victory's ending to be one of the most depressing though.
May 23, 2014 10:54 PM

Jun 2012
Totally worth the wait.

It's kind of sad knowing that it didn't work out in the end. Humanity eventually forgot and thus came the other series like f91 and victory.

And it was never explained who exactly Frontal was. I heard he was a clone of Char but it was never confirmed in the anime so I dunno what to believe. I guess seeing lalah and the original Char kind of confirmed it so I'll believe it for now.

Noooo!!! Why did Marida have to die?? And Bright should have shot those bastards before they had a chance to shoot gryps 2.

Sore demo, Banagher Links was a cool mc. I would have liked to seen more of him.
May 24, 2014 1:33 AM

Sep 2013
Imateria said:
Yeah, Char and Amuro both died at the end of CCA.

Great posts from Ckan and MissileSoup, pretty much agree with you both.

As for the after effects of Mineva's speech, I suspect that in the long run it's what weekend the Federation and allowed the Crossbone Vanguard to take Frontier I- IV colonies from Side 4 and then for the Zanscare Empire to launch it's attack in Victory Gundam.

Their death wasn't confirmed though, I'm pretty sure. They were officially MIA. Now, Amuro did probably die back then, judging from the fact that he was seen as a newtype 'ghost' during this episode. But Char was actually still alive (As 'Full Frontal' of course) and died finally this episode.
May 24, 2014 1:38 AM

Mar 2008
cupc said:
Their death wasn't confirmed though, I'm pretty sure. They were officially MIA. Now, Amuro did probably die back then, judging from the fact that he was seen as a newtype 'ghost' during this episode. But Char was actually still alive (As 'Full Frontal' of course) and died finally this episode.
Well, I wouldn't call Full Frontal a 'live Char'. In fact, by Ep7, we've seen that his beliefs noticeably differ from Char's, or rather, he as a person is different.

We hear Amuro's ghost, but we actually saw Char's ghost.
May 24, 2014 2:09 AM

Sep 2013
Ckan said:
cupc said:
Well, I wouldn't call Full Frontal a 'live Char'. In fact, by Ep7, we've seen that his beliefs noticeably differ from Char's, or rather, he as a person is different.

Is this your theory, or do you have a source? But it would make sense, yes.
May 24, 2014 2:20 AM

Mar 2008
cupc said:
Ckan said:

Is this your theory, or do you have a source? But it would make sense, yes.
Well, I could be remembering wrongly, but doesn't someone (either Syam Vist or Frontal himself), actually say he's 'a man with Char's memories'?
I'm not 100% on that.

As much as there were hints at Frontal being 'exactly' like Char - the fact that it was never confirmed, and the fact that he acted so differently from Char of old makes me think it highly unlikely that he's meant to be the Char.
I can't think of any other clear instances, as I was watching under the assumption that he was a Char clone, but when Lalah's ghost appears, Char does also. Although, since he was in '79 gear, I suppose you could posit that this really was a ghost - but the way that he seemed to physically touch Frontal, and the words of Lalah, something like: "I think you let them know enough of how you felt when you were you", makes me think it was the real thing.
May 24, 2014 2:23 AM

Oct 2010
Satisfying ending but would had been better if more people died and make it more of a tragedy. Everybody i wanted dead lived. I really wanted that cocky bitch on earth to die.
May 24, 2014 2:24 AM

Mar 2008
bonifide said:
Satisfying ending but would had been better if more people died and make it more of a tragedy. Everybody i wanted dead lived. I really wanted that cocky bitch on earth to die.
Perhaps you should be watching the older Gundams. There's plenty of tragedy there.
May 24, 2014 2:27 AM

Oct 2010
Ckan said:
bonifide said:
Perhaps you should be watching the older Gundams. There's plenty of tragedy there.

Oh i know I've seen most of the Gundam series missing about 3 or 4. I refuse to watch Gundam Age. IIRC I believe Zeta Gundam was the most tragic gundam series i saw but it left a big impact. It's just today's anime have to many happy endings.
May 24, 2014 4:12 AM

Jan 2014
CCA does leave Amuro and Char as MIA, though the book Beltorchika's Children (which is how Tomino wanted the film to be before Bandai/Sunrise got in the way) makes it very clear they were dead, and it's confirmed in ep7 now as well. Full Frontal was a Cyber Newtype and he says as much when standing next to Laplace Box, that he's not Char but has his looks and memories.

As for what Lalah says to FF, I get the feeling that the memories taken from Sazabi's Psychoframe constitute a part of Char's consciousness so I see it as retrieving the last of himself.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ranlos - Mar 6, 2011

86 by TheRestlessOne »»
Dec 25, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TechnicsMKII - Oct 29, 2010

116 by TheRestlessOne »»
Dec 25, 2023 10:39 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BladedWarrior - Nov 13, 2011

93 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 19, 2023 11:59 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TechnicsMKII - Feb 19, 2010

215 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 19, 2023 5:47 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stAtic91 - Mar 2, 2013

70 by Neemesis_2 »»
Sep 23, 2023 5:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.