Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 16, 2014 10:20 PM

Mar 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
After four long years, we have finally made it through one long journey as we all witness Gundam Unicorn's final episode!

To me, it was definitely four years worth the wait, and despite its flaws, the action sequences, as well as the story, and the plot elements surrounding it really fill up the more convoluting aspects of the Universal Century timeline.

I'm glad they touched upon aspects such as Amuro's and Char's true fate following CCA, Banagher and Frontal going back in time as the former saw where the events of Laplace's Box all began, and a big shoutout to them recreating classic Gundam sequences from 0079 with Unicorn's art style.

Also, Rest in Peace, Marida Cruz. You will truly be missed.
MikelAL93Feb 17, 2018 11:44 PM
May 17, 2014 5:02 AM
Jul 2018
Its finally over! The wait for the last 1 year was totally worth it.

10/10 for both the episode & the series.
May 17, 2014 7:17 AM

Mar 2012
shadowtsunami said:
MikelAL93 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

----------------------------------------
After four years of waiting, the final episode of Unicorn is released and it takes flight on JP PSN.

To me, it was four years worth the wait.

I got it on North America's PSN at 3:30 am PST :D. This is by far the best iteration of Gundam. First and foremost the sound/animation is astounding. I'm glad the mixed in some of the old ost with the new. The storyline made complete sense in the end. Also you have to loves the cameos. It was completely worth the wait and I'm glad they add this extra episode on it 10/10. It's too bad that many people haven't watched it lol.

Nice! Its good to see that the episode was out in America too.

And I agree, it is the best Gundam I have watched as it quickly became my favorite. 9/10 for the series (due to how long it took to finish, but it was well worth the wait), but a definite 10/10 for the episode. :D
May 17, 2014 10:42 AM

Jul 2012
I watched it with Chinese sub and didn't nearly understand a thing but HOLY FUCK THE FEELS AT THE END DAISUKE'S PERFORMANCE WAS PERFECT "BANSHEEEEEEEE"

I am gonna rewatch episode 7 when English or German subs are out.
הלב שלי כבר מת
May 17, 2014 12:13 PM

Jan 2011
What an amazing finale, I felt some nostalgia when they were showing scenes from past gundams and playing a instrumental version of "Beginning". I can't wait for the English dub.
[center]
May 17, 2014 12:25 PM

Jul 2012
Saw the episode on Gogoanime, this episode was worth the wait, I had so many goosebumps that i feltl chill in my spine :D
m
May 17, 2014 12:57 PM
Aug 2008
Loved it, wish we would have gotten a Banana and Maniva kiss though.

I thought it was pretty great how they confirm Char and Amuro's death very subtly. I know it's well known that they died after CCA, but it was never confirmed. They were officially MIA, but there's no more speculation to be had.
May 17, 2014 1:19 PM

Jan 2010
The instrumental version of Aimer's Re: I am that played with Maridas death and the remix of Ryuusei no Namida was awesome and it got to me.
thegoosemanMay 18, 2014 8:23 PM
May 17, 2014 2:40 PM

Apr 2013
The scene where riddhe awakened when blocking the laser gave me chills, the good kind
May 17, 2014 8:24 PM
May 2014
The episode is worth the one year wait... From beginning till the every end, everything is just very touching and nostalgic also.. As a UC fans, this doesn't fail me at all...
May 17, 2014 10:15 PM

Jun 2013
So all of Elpeo Ple's clones were dead. So pity!
May 17, 2014 10:23 PM

Jul 2009
bleh, I was really disappointed with the ending

"hey lets have it god into god mode and crystallize!!!!@@!!"
May 18, 2014 6:23 AM

Jan 2010
I used my little knowledge of Japanese to get me through the Chinese subs and from I saw it was great. Good episode and a good conclusion.

Basically Banagher chose Riddhe over Audrey and disappeared together. This whole thing reminded me of Awakening of the Trailblazer. except better executed and instead of Earth living happily ever after, F91 happens.

Also anybody know the locations shown in the credits? Sadly I only got the rooftop from Zeta Gundam, the resort from zz, the airport from CCA (?) and the house where Amuro met Lala in 0079.
thegoosemanMay 18, 2014 8:17 AM
May 18, 2014 8:56 AM
Jan 2012
punkster90 said:
Basically Banagher chose Riddhe over Audrey and disappeared together.

lolwut.
May 18, 2014 9:16 AM

Jul 2010
saw so many animation studio names such as bones, a-1, production ig, aniplex, and many more in the ending credit, it explains the quality a lot (?)
May 18, 2014 9:34 AM
Aug 2008
punkster90 said:
Basically Banagher chose Riddhe over Audrey and disappeared together.

That's not what happened at all...
May 18, 2014 2:22 PM

May 2013
It was very good. Took 4 years to finish this but worth it. The dub was nicely done, one of the best I've heard.

Feel sad for Marida...
May 18, 2014 9:29 PM

Nov 2013
Great finish to a great OVA!! I kind of wish the UC would have finished with this instead of all the hope for the future falling apart and everyone dying in Victory
May 18, 2014 9:49 PM
Oct 2010
Jesus unicorn died for our sins! 10/10 God damn that opening battle was just amazing. I was smiling from start to finish. Really loved when they were going through Char's memories as well.
GD1551May 18, 2014 9:55 PM
May 19, 2014 2:17 AM

May 2014
eaglemaster42 said:
Great finish to a great OVA!! I kind of wish the UC would have finished with this instead of all the hope for the future falling apart and everyone dying in Victory

I prefer to end the UC here also. This served as a satisfying bookend to the UC. From the OYW (MSG, 08th, 0080), Rise and Reign of the Titans (0083, Zeta), the two Neo Zeon Wars (ZZ, CCA) and finally Unicorn and the truth of the Laplace Box.

F91 was an attempt to "reboot" the franchise in a different era, but ultimately fizzled out before it even got started (in production that is) . The film comes short in a lot of areas and didn't inspire a full series or 13 episode ova like Tomino hoped. Victory is so disconnected from the rest of the UC; it might as well be an AU series like X, 00 or Wing. The only thing connecting it to UC is the appearance of Newtypes toward the end. That and I don't think Victory and F91 have as many fans or are remembered as fondly as say MSG, 08th MS, Zeta, or Unicorn.
AllStarNemesisMay 19, 2014 3:54 AM
May 19, 2014 6:44 AM

Nov 2010
wow. simply amazing.
May 19, 2014 6:59 AM

Jun 2013
10/10. Without a doubt in my mind, I can say this is the best anime ever produced. The story, visuals, sound, atmosphere, and emotional impact are unrivaled by anything I've seen.
May 19, 2014 9:28 AM

Nov 2009
english subs were already online in some other sites...and well...i got lost of words...for it was a masterpiece: they nailed it nicely, 10/10~

May 19, 2014 10:12 AM

Mar 2012
Die_Hard said:

punkster90 said:

Basically Banagher chose Riddhe over Audrey and disappeared together

He went back to Audrey, you see them flying to Industrial 7.
May 19, 2014 11:02 AM
May 2013
God damn amazing... So worth the wait...

ryanstrike said:

It was never implied that all clones died. Heck, in one of the Gundam Evolve episodes there was Judau rescued someone that resembles Ple Two.
May 19, 2014 1:14 PM

May 2013
Like someone said to me awhile back, Puru clones will never get a happy ending.
;A;
The amount of cameos and reanimated flashbacks made me so hype, but the ending I felt was slightly lackluster, if only because the super robot tones skyrocketed at that point. That, and Neo Zeong was definitely not needed.

Still think it was great 9/10 worth the weight.
ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
May 19, 2014 1:22 PM

Jan 2008
Exblaster said:
ryanstrike said:
It was never implied that all clones died. Heck, in one of the Gundam Evolve episodes there was Judau rescued someone that resembles Ple Two.

I see. I still dislike how Marida went out, and the fact that the person taking her out

I hate all this "friends becoming enemies, then friends again" crap.

I wish the show got rid of Riddhe when they had the chance.
May 19, 2014 1:39 PM

Jun 2013
4kicks said:

I hate all this "friends becoming enemies, then friends again"

Not sure why you are even watching Gundam then. This only happens in practically every Gundam series.
May 19, 2014 2:49 PM

Apr 2011
It was OK, nice fights and all but typical newtype bullcrap ending.
May 19, 2014 2:58 PM
Jul 2013
4kicks said:

It's not like if your best friend raped your sister. That analogy isn't even anywhere near close, they're in two completely different worlds.

May 19, 2014 3:01 PM
Oct 2010
4kicks said:
Exblaster said:
ryanstrike said:

I see. I still dislike how Marida went out, and the fact that the person taking her out

@the first point, that's because he was basically being bombarded by everyone's thoughts and when he was finally get calmed down he was interrupted (by the gun) and started getting bombarded by his own thoughts of mineva. and pretty much came to the deduction that EVERYONE was against him and thought he was wrong and lost control. It was actually Marida who ended up calming him down, although it took her death to do it. So not, it was not just because mineva dumped him, she was just the final straw.

@second point Banagher has seen both sides of the conflict and has taken care not to kill anyone while fighting (although he has killed a small number of people). For instance, even when he fought full frontal's men, he merely incapacitated them rather than outright kill them. The only three people I remember him actually killing were Gilboa(accident), one of full frontal's men when he fired the beam magnum(accident) and some dude that was in his way when he was leaving the asteroid colony in ep3 and the only person he wanted to kill was full frontal. This was despite both sides trying to kill this guy... I mean he couldn't even kill Loney who was pretty much blowing up a city. With Marida he knows that Riddhe was caught up in the moment with the banshee. It helps that Marida gave her parting words to everyone.
GD1551May 19, 2014 3:05 PM
May 19, 2014 3:14 PM

Jun 2013
ITT: people confused why newtypes do newtype stuff.
May 19, 2014 4:24 PM
Apr 2010
I don't really have any complaints. The only way it could have been better was if Captain Bright punched a kid in the face!
May 19, 2014 4:34 PM

Dec 2009
That's some harsh history and emotions.

Humanity really likes to mess things up huh.
May 19, 2014 5:45 PM
May 2013
4kicks said:
Exblaster said:
ryanstrike said:

In the novel, Marida told Banager to forgive him.
ExblasterMay 19, 2014 7:51 PM
May 19, 2014 7:23 PM

Apr 2012
That was awesome!!!!
Really loved the final episode.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

May 19, 2014 7:39 PM

Aug 2013
Wow...I'm really at a loss for words...just wow...

easy 10/10 and if you've seen MSG-CCA beforehand this could easily be the best Gundam series to date and EASILY one of the best anime to come out of the last several years.

My only question is regarding Full Frontal. So I understand he's a psycho-machine...basically a clone of Char built from/using the leftover psychoframe from Char's cockpit (that held his memories and parts of his collective consciousness; corrupted having witnessed that nothing changed after the events of CCA or something to that effect).

I guess my question is who created him and for what purpose?

Also idk how it was in the graphic novel but I like how Full Frontal's fate was halfway ambiiguous at the end. You can easily take the last bit when Angelo finds him as "yeah he's dead" or "he could be alive".

The cameo from Amuro, Lalah, and Char got me a little emotional.
May 19, 2014 8:08 PM

Jan 2009
great conclusion, in the light novels they say that banagher died but its good that they change that ending, its been a fun ride, i gave it an 9/10 because its really not a standalone series
May 19, 2014 8:48 PM

Mar 2013
All the feels ;_;
May 19, 2014 9:14 PM

Jan 2010
I'm fucking crying

10/10
May 19, 2014 10:39 PM

Nov 2011
This is where it pays off for people who watched the rest of UC. Amuro, Char, and Lalah's reunion, scenes of the One Year War, the Newtype memory "time" travel, all the Newtype magic, all the mobile suit "cameos"; it was amazing. It may have retroactively made Char's Counterattack better for me. While there were points I didn't like about this episode, it was a great ending to this OVA, which in turn is a great addition to UC timeline. The OST was absolutely perfect as a complement. Aside from that, can't help but feel Riddhe and Angelo were underdeveloped. It seemed they tried to explain Riddhe's motivation through his revelation of Laplace's box, but it didn't happen. Angelo was just there. I also would have liked more background on Full Frontal, as the vessel that harbored Char's will. I'm assuming he was a cyber-newtype, but who created the vessel and how did they instill Char's will. Judging from all of Banagher's flashbacks and his conversation with Marida and Full Frontal in ep. 2, I assumed he could be a cyber-newtype as well, but they really didn't explore that further in this OVA. The change in colors of the psychoframe due to the NT-D, which responds to the pilot, seems to imply his transition from cyber-newtype to "true" newtype. I'll probably peruse some Wiki's after this, or perhaps read the novels.

EDIT: I wondered if they would ret-con F91, but decided it unlikely and detrimental. With the events of F91, the efforts of Banagher and Mineva ultimately amount to nothing, which fits the on-going theme in Gundam that even with newtype evolution, humanity may never change as a whole. Unicorn was all about possibility, and limiting it at just that.

Also, UC will always be Universal Century for me. Unicorn is Unicorn.
MissileSoupMay 21, 2014 10:12 AM
May 19, 2014 11:30 PM
Jul 2007
Die_Hard said:

I feel the same. I'd say it is the best Gundam, but not 10/10. As a standalone 7-8/10. When taking into account the whole UC story, I would give it 9/10. I would be really surprised for a casual Gundam fan to remember everything from past UC and Unicorn while waiting for Unicorn to be released. Only a hardcore, obsessed Gundam person would have remembered everything a year later after ep 6 was released, or someone that recently binge watched everything without stopping. So for that reason, I think this deserves a high rating for being devoted to telling the story and not wasting any time explaining things for the "less educated." At the same time though, I felt the whole point of Laplace's Box was slightly underwhelming, but Minerva helps bring out the significance of it with her speech at the end. I also think this has a lot of rewatch value just because, like I said, there is no way to remember what happened if you stop watching for a year, and I wouldn't mind rewatching it with a friend that hasn't seen it. I would have given this 10/10 if the laser beam indirectly or directly killed Banagher/more deaths ^.^.
eraltergMay 20, 2014 2:24 AM
May 19, 2014 11:51 PM

Feb 2013
love it, and all the reference to the past UC series.
was expecting more combat between neo-zeong/sinanju vs. unicorn, but still great, and damn, too bad marida died. purus deserves a happy ending too D:
9/10
If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone
May 20, 2014 12:37 AM

Jun 2007
I was teary-eyed through a lot of it because I’m a lil’ bitch. The action was cool though, and so were the revelations. I feel content with how it all turned out. My only real problem was following everything that’s going on, but the silver lining to this is noticing new things the second and third time I watch it.

EDIT

Reading people's opinions, I feel Unicorn would have been even more amazing to me if I was more familiar with the universal century story. I haven't seen Char's Counterattack or ZZ. I didn't know about the flashbacks, Marida/Elpeo or who those ‘spirits’ were around Frontal. Even so this series was a 10 for me, but all the more reason for me to check out these other shows!
NemphtisMay 20, 2014 12:51 AM
May 20, 2014 1:21 AM

Jun 2013
Nemphtis said:
I was teary-eyed through a lot of it because I’m a lil’ bitch. The action was cool though, and so were the revelations. I feel content with how it all turned out. My only real problem was following everything that’s going on, but the silver lining to this is noticing new things the second and third time I watch it.

EDIT

Reading people's opinions, I feel Unicorn would have been even more amazing to me if I was more familiar with the universal century story. I haven't seen Char's Counterattack or ZZ. I didn't know about the flashbacks, Marida/Elpeo or who those ‘spirits’ were around Frontal. Even so this series was a 10 for me, but all the more reason for me to check out these other shows!

Watch Zeta, it's amazing, BUT SKIP ZZ!
May 20, 2014 3:29 AM

Feb 2012
I feel like saying:

Congratulations!
May 20, 2014 6:16 AM

May 2010
Well, ending was pretty good. Not perfect, but still a great series. I wonder though what happens to Mineva and Banagher in the future, if they were still active somewhere during F91 and Victory.

In the end, Full Frontal was right that nothing will change as F91, Victory and possibly, later history too, readily prove so.
May 20, 2014 7:02 AM

Aug 2013
Arcling said:
Well, ending was pretty good. Not perfect, but still a great series. I wonder though what happens to Mineva and Banagher in the future, if they were still active somewhere during F91 and Victory.

In the end, Full Frontal was right that nothing will change as F91, Victory and possibly, later history too, readily prove so.

Well old man Vist did go on his whole schtick about how 100 years from now (F91 anyone?) Newtypes and all the ideologies linked to them including Laplace's Box will fade to nothingness.

There's a whole 100 year gap though from Unicorn to F91 so for all we know things changed for the better after Unicorn but gradually turned into what we saw in F91 hypothetically speaking of course.

ex_necross said:
Nemphtis said:

EDIT

Watch Zeta, it's amazing, BUT SKIP ZZ!

Don't tell him to skip ZZ now of all times lol. Prior to Unicorn people would say ZZ is "skippable" if you really so choose but it plays a pretty significant role in Unicorn so now you almost can't skip it (well you can skip anything if you choose to but I wouldn't).
May 20, 2014 7:53 AM

Jun 2013
Champloo_Remix said:
Don't tell him to skip ZZ now of all times lol. Prior to Unicorn people would say ZZ is "skippable" if you really so choose but it plays a pretty significant role in Unicorn so now you almost can't skip it (well you can skip anything if you choose to but I wouldn't).

I was just saying because it is a bad series, at least to most people. Zeta had an epic and emotional ending, then ZZ comes along and says fuck it let's turn this into a comedy, and a pretty "meh" one at that.

I'd read up on the important parts instead :P To each their own.
May 20, 2014 8:11 AM

Aug 2013
ex_necross said:
Champloo_Remix said:

I was just saying because it is a bad series, at least to most people. Zeta had an epic and emotional ending, then ZZ comes along and says fuck it let's turn this into a comedy, and a pretty "meh" one at that.

I'd read up on the important parts instead :P To each their own.

ZZ is easily my least favorite UC Gundam I've seen but to be fair it starts getting good the last 1/4...well really just the end stretch. It's not as horrible as some make it out to be but it is probably the weak link of MSG-Unicorn by a clear margin. But now with Unicorn out it's fairly important in regards to Mineva and Marida's backgrounds.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ranlos - Mar 6, 2011

86 by TheRestlessOne »»
Dec 25, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TechnicsMKII - Oct 29, 2010

116 by TheRestlessOne »»
Dec 25, 2023 10:39 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BladedWarrior - Nov 13, 2011

93 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 19, 2023 11:59 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TechnicsMKII - Feb 19, 2010

215 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 19, 2023 5:47 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stAtic91 - Mar 2, 2013

70 by Neemesis_2 »»
Sep 23, 2023 5:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.