Forum Settings
Forums

Question regarding old entries with "publishing" status

New
May 14, 2014 8:49 AM

May 2014
Ok I just want to know why some manga are put under the status "publishing". It still says that the next chapter is coming soon but it doesn't (been over like a year for some) and some are considered completed even though it's incomplete in manga reading sites. Why is this? sorry for this stupid question really ._.
May 14, 2014 9:32 AM

Mar 2012
NitsujNial said:
Ok I just want to know why some manga are put under the status "publishing". It still says that the next chapter is coming soon but it doesn't (been over like a year for some)
That's likely because the manga entered into hiatus, and thus it's still "publishing".
NitsujNial said:
and some are considered completed even though it's incomplete in manga reading sites. Why is this? sorry for this stupid question really ._.
That's because in manga reading sites, the status usually refers to how many chapters have been uploaded, not if the actual manga has been completed or not in its country of origin.
May 14, 2014 6:29 PM

Jan 2011
Thread Moved.
NiyawaMay 14, 2014 6:33 PM
May 14, 2014 8:33 PM

May 2014
yazio said:
NitsujNial said:
Ok I just want to know why some manga are put under the status "publishing". It still says that the next chapter is coming soon but it doesn't (been over like a year for some)
That's likely because the manga entered into hiatus, and thus it's still "publishing".
NitsujNial said:
and some are considered completed even though it's incomplete in manga reading sites. Why is this? sorry for this stupid question really ._.
That's because in manga reading sites, the status usually refers to how many chapters have been uploaded, not if the actual manga has been completed or not in its country of origin.

I understand the first one perfectly so thank you :) but I don't quite get the second one sorry
May 15, 2014 8:07 AM

May 2014
I get about the gist of it now thanks man :D but so yeah,I checked the KHR mangas too and it's status is ongoing but there are some sites which claim it completed,so my final question (I hope xD) What's the meaning of the manga,not being "scanlated" yet?
May 15, 2014 1:28 PM

Jan 2011
Scanlated is a portmanteau of 'scan' and 'translated'.
What you see on most manga reading websites is scanlated manga. Fans find/buy the RAW (raw original japanese text manga) and scan it (since it's pages in a book or magazine) and translate it (with some Photoshop to put the text on top). Like fansubbed (fan + subtitled) anime--but with manga!

Since the vast majority of manga website readers read English scanlated manga, some sites only bother showing the status for scanlations not the status of the manga in Japan. Because it's rare that those people would know Japanese to just read the original.

Oh, and the groups that scanlate manga are called scanlation (scan + translation) groups. And an individual who works/volunteers in a group is called a scanlator (scan + translator) even if they're job isn't translating, it might be typesetting or editing or cleaning or just finding the RAW.
May 15, 2014 7:19 PM

May 2014
Sorry but I really don't get the part of scanlations (Im sorry man xD)
So they show the status of the scanlations right? well,if the actual manga itself is already completed,why would they still label the scanlations as "ongoing" even though the manga is already done?
May 15, 2014 7:25 PM
Dec 2011
NitsujNial said:
Sorry but I really don't get the part of scanlations (Im sorry man xD)
So they show the status of the scanlations right? well,if the actual manga itself is already completed,why would they still label the scanlations as "ongoing" even though the manga is already done?

Because it has not been fully translated and for there purposes there is little difference between that and it still being published.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7680 by faratnis »»
56 minutes ago

» Surprising Manga Still Needs Approval

Uutama - 12 hours ago

0 by Uutama »»
12 hours ago

» TO THE ADMINISTRATORS OF MAL! BIBLIOMANIA!

carhs14 - Aug 12, 2023

11 by jere344 »»
Yesterday, 7:52 PM

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

129 by BlondieLottie »»
Yesterday, 11:53 AM

» Pending approval items

Marrzo - Apr 17

0 by Marrzo »»
Apr 17, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.