Forum Settings
Forums

In general, do anime fans have narrow preferences and do they limit themselves because of this?

New
In general, do anime fans have narrow preferences?
May 12, 2014 5:34 PM

Oct 2012
Over the years I've noticed a lot of anime fans generally stick to a select few forms of entertainment, mainly anime, manga/ Visual Novels, and games (usually non-Western games), all of which are fairly similar in style. Now, I'm not saying the entire community is like this and if you do partake in other mediums this obviously doesn't apply to you. I also realize that there are people with narrow preferences when it comes to other mediums as well, but I've seen it more so with the anime community than any other, at least enough to notice a trend. The fans I'm referring to generally fall into one of two categories-

1. Fans that just don't go out of their way to try mediums other than anime.

2. Elitist weeaboos/ Japanophiles who completely refuse to give other mediums that don't hail from the glorious land of the rising sun a chance.

The later is definitely an extreme minority, but surprisingly enough I've seen it as well in both real life and online more than I'd like. While anime is definitely my favorite hobby/ medium I find that my experiences have been enriched by also being a fan of cinema, books, and etc. The shame in limiting oneself, unintentionally or not, is that most if not all mediums reference and take inspiration from each other and perhaps more importantly experiencing the various styles and the differences between each medium helps one to appreciate them more. What are your thoughts MAL?
ShrabsterMay 15, 2014 4:29 AM

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 12, 2014 5:36 PM

Feb 2014
I guess, i watch anime to pass time, but my world doesn't revolve around anime. I have other hobbies then watching anime like playing the guitar and listening to music
Zero Suit Samus/ Meta Knight
M2k
DBZ
May 12, 2014 5:38 PM

Apr 2013
I think people should be open to all kinds of entertainment mediums, but having a strong bias/preference isn't exactly a bad thing, unless you completely boycott a certain medium for a stupid reason.
an egomaniac and a fool

May 12, 2014 5:39 PM

Feb 2012
This is just a stupid generalization. The same could be said for any other fan base of a medium. Obviously it depends on the individual.
May 12, 2014 5:40 PM

Oct 2013
My thoughts exactly, but I must say I'm becoming one of those "weaboo fucks" in some sense. I haven't watched any film or live action series lately because anime is way easier to watch and I'm too much of a lazy ass to search for a good movie.

Used to be a lot into western comic books, but due to lack of money and laziness I haven't read any in months.

but I still find a lot of anime weak compared to a lot of movies and several action/plot-drven manga weak to some comic books out there, even Marvel and DC ones.

May 12, 2014 5:40 PM

Dec 2012
Slyr3do0n said:
This is just a stupid generalization. The same could be said for any other fan base of a medium. Obviously it depends on the individual.

Pretty much. I don't see any basis for discussion here.
May 12, 2014 5:41 PM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
Slyr3do0n said:

For once I agree.
May 12, 2014 5:42 PM
Aug 2007
Red_Keys said:
tsudecimo said:
Slyr3do0n said:

For once I agree.

Literally came in to say what first quote said. Well put.
May 12, 2014 5:42 PM

Feb 2010
inb4 Breaking Bad > Anime.

But seriously, there are probably a lot of fans like you describe and I can really just laugh at their ignorance. The same people complaining that people condemn anime because they only judge it from the stereotypes hate on Live Action shows without lifting a finger to actually look for good ones because they're so convinced anime has it all.

But I also know a lot of people who watch and enjoy both and I know I personally read a lot more books and comics than I watched anime and while it is my main hobby now I still follow about 10 live action series at any given point and some of my alltime favorites are live action too so it's really their loss if people avoid any medium completely. I just love animation in general so I have a higher enjoyability from average anime while I drop a lot of live action shows after a few episodes if they aren't 8/10 or higher.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 12, 2014 5:43 PM

Feb 2014
Red_Keys said:
tsudecimo said:
Slyr3do0n said:

For once I agree.

So anime can be compare to My little pony fanbase basically?
Zero Suit Samus/ Meta Knight
M2k
DBZ

Jan 2012
I read fantasy/sci-fi/horror/classical literature.

I read American comic books, mostly DC.

I play fighting games, and love the Arkham games.

I love movies.

I watch a lot of anime but I like a lot of other things.

If I had to give up all forms of entertainment but one, I'd pick books over anime.

Apr 2013
In general? it depends really. I know people who refuse to watch anything but anime and read nothing but manga, but those guys are pretty rare. I think most people would fall into category 1.

I personally started reading manga in like 4-5th grade, but I'd always enjoyed reading books more. I used to read a lot, but I don't have much time now so I stick to manga since it's easier to digest and takes less time to read. I still plan on keeping up with game of thrones of course.

For TV, I don't go out of my way to finish series, but I like watch shows like Shark Tank or whatever so I can just pick a random episode or two. Atm I don't watch much tv, but tbh I'm not watching much anime either.

As for videogames, I was a huge codfag and played an unreal amount of skyrim. My friend recently convinced me to get Hearthstone and it's pretty fun, considering that I used to likt mtg a lot. Only VN i've played was school days.
May 12, 2014 5:45 PM

Mar 2014
The only ones with narrow preferences are overly zealous 'weaboos' and 'Japanotards. Most normal and casual fans have a lot of hobbies and do indulge in other mediums like music, movies, books, sport etc.
May 12, 2014 5:46 PM
Feb 2014
elfenliedXsis said:
Red_Keys said:
tsudecimo said:
Slyr3do0n said:

For once I agree.

So anime can be compare to My little pony fanbase basically?

Let's not compare and contrast anything here. Yes... But the same goes to every other fanbase. I'm not really a part of any fanbase though, I just watch things that come to me and don't necessarily want to be a part of any fandom because those are too cliquey.

Agreed with above me btw.
May 12, 2014 5:48 PM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
tsudecimo said:
Slyr3do0n said:

For once I agree.
Most threads could be answered with "it depends". Instead you could put why you disagree and share your experiences as to why you believe that way, which is kind of the whole point of discussion in forums. I don't know, just a thought.
ShrabsterMay 14, 2014 5:42 PM

May 12, 2014 5:50 PM

Mar 2013
I read and watch western TV shows.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
May 12, 2014 5:54 PM

Jun 2011
I play video games of multiple genres (as well as some MMOs) as well as read books, watch live action TV, and occasionally play sports. While anime/manga is my favorite hobby, it definitely isn't my only hobby.
SolosMay 12, 2014 5:57 PM

May 12, 2014 5:55 PM

Dec 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
inb4 Breaking Bad > Anime.

Tennessee Williams > Breaking Bad.

@ OP - There's people who have exposure to multiple forms of art that have equally narrow preferences. I say it's foolish to marry and settle down with one form of entertainment.
May 12, 2014 5:58 PM

Nov 2012
My main entertainment mediums are:

1. Anime/Manga
2. Video Games
3. Movies

Only TV show I watched is Breaking Bad. I like a few books.
May 12, 2014 5:59 PM

Nov 2012
Shrabster said:
I'm sure most have noticed that anime fans aren't exactly the most well rounded viewers out there. From what I've seen a lot of anime fans generally stick to a select few forms of entertainment, mainly anime, manga/ Visual Novels, and games (usually non-Western games). I've seen fans like this come in two forms-

1. Fans that just don't go out of their way to enjoy anything other than anime.
2. Elitist weeaboos/ Japanophiles who completely refuse to give other mediums that don't hail from the glorious land of the rising sun a chance.

While anime is definitely my favorite hobby/ medium I find that my experiences have been enriched by also being a fan of cinema in general, books, and etc. I find that limiting oneself to just one particular medium is really a shame because a lot of anime either have references to or took inspiration from other works outside of the medium. What are your thoughts MAL?

Even within the anime medium itself it seems like fans can be incredibly selective. I'm looking at Gundam Unicorn right now and despite that it has an 8.5+ average rating, has been ongoing for about 4 years now, and generally has fantastic production values and a well-executed story, only ~9000 users on MAL have watched it. Meanwhile, Kill la Kill gets 65,000 in 6 months. I know a lot of people have their gripes about the mecha genre but come on, at least give the critically acclaimed stuff a chance. I'm watching Shinsekai Yori right now even though it probably wouldn't normally interest me, but I've heard a lot of great things about it so I'm giving it a chance. I try to branch out to a bunch of different genres even though I have my preferences; I wish more people would too.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 12, 2014 6:09 PM
Nov 2008
i also like rupaul's drag race, so i'm pretty much max cultured and have also seen a fuck ton of anime.

honestly, like would be a little boring if i only watched anime. there's some things that anime just doesn't do, like being top gear or mythbusters.
May 12, 2014 6:11 PM

Jun 2012
MiniSiets said:
Shrabster said:
I'm sure most have noticed that anime fans aren't exactly the most well rounded viewers out there. From what I've seen a lot of anime fans generally stick to a select few forms of entertainment, mainly anime, manga/ Visual Novels, and games (usually non-Western games). I've seen fans like this come in two forms-

1. Fans that just don't go out of their way to enjoy anything other than anime.

While anime is definitely my favorite hobby/ medium I find that my experiences have been enriched by also being a fan of cinema in general, books, and etc. I find that limiting oneself to just one particular medium is really a shame because a lot of anime either have references to or took inspiration from other works outside of the medium. What are your thoughts MAL?

Even within the anime medium itself it seems like fans can be incredibly selective. I'm looking at Gundam Unicorn right now and despite that it has an 8.5+ average rating, has been ongoing for about 4 years now, and generally has fantastic production values and a well-executed story, only ~9000 users on MAL have watched it. Meanwhile, Kill la Kill gets 65,000 in 6 months. I know a lot of people have their gripes about the mecha genre but come on, at least give the critically acclaimed stuff a chance. I'm watching Shinsekai Yori right now even though it probably wouldn't normally interest me, but I've heard a lot of great things about it so I'm giving it a chance. I try to branch out to a bunch of different genres even though I have my preferences; I wish more people would too.

I think that what happens with Gundam Unicorn is that you have to know about the Universal Century timeline of the franchise in order to completly understand/enjoy the show. That means, you have to watch the old Gundam series and movies from the 80's. That turns off a lot of people.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
May 12, 2014 6:11 PM

Nov 2010
Nobody grew up with only anime, they usually watched other things then weren't as interested or found anime or other Japanese media better. Of course it depends on the person. I agree with those saying this didn't need a thread.
May 12, 2014 6:14 PM

Dec 2013
Red_Keys said:
tsudecimo said:
Slyr3do0n said:

For once I agree.
Count me in
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
May 12, 2014 6:19 PM

May 2013
Shrabster said:
No, because any other form of entertainment is for baka gaijins.?

This is true.

I don't know anybody who limits themselves to only Japanese media. I'm not sure who you've been interacting with.
May 12, 2014 6:23 PM

Jan 2013
The poll options make me cringe.

To answer your question I don't know if anime fans have narrow preferences; it solely depends on each individual.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2014 6:28 PM

Oct 2012
Pxi2 said:
Shrabster said:
No, because any other form of entertainment is for baka gaijins.?

This is true.

I don't know anybody who limits themselves to only Japanese media. I'm not sure who you've been interacting with.
Believe it or not I've seen it not only online but in real life to (Both in high school and college, conventions). Luckily it's a minority but still frighteningly larger than I expected or would have liked. For real life, these are overheard conversations and not people I interact with, for online I just notice it a lot on forums and anywhere there is anime discussion.

SharifEbeefE said:
The poll options make me cringe.

To answer your question I don't know if anime fans have narrow preferences; it solely depends on each individual.
The poll option phrasing was non-serious and it's a "in general" type question which I thought most would have gathered but apparently not.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
VudisMay 13, 2014 8:13 AM

May 12, 2014 6:31 PM

Jan 2013
Its not that my preferences are narrow its jst i dont care about anything else. Ive never been interested in western tvs or comics, I do love a good movie every now and then though. Im jst satisfied with anime, manga, and now VN's as my main source of entertainment.(Video games too ofc)
May 12, 2014 6:48 PM

May 2013
SuperRed said:

1. Anime/Manga
2. Video Games
3. Movies

I think its worth pointing out that alot of people get into anime through people on internet gaming/tech forums. These types of people generally don't have much interest in non-computer stuff even without anime in their lives.
Pxi2May 12, 2014 6:59 PM
May 12, 2014 6:56 PM

Apr 2007
I always have to roll my eyes at the anime fans who say there's nothing good on Western television. There are so many good shows no matter what your taste is and you don't have to dig very far to find them.
May 12, 2014 7:12 PM

Nov 2012
Andan210 said:
I think that what happens with Gundam Unicorn is that you have to know about the Universal Century timeline of the franchise in order to completly understand/enjoy the show. That means, you have to watch the old Gundam series and movies from the 80's. That turns off a lot of people.

I still haven't seen the older series and I'm able to enjoy it. The first episode summarizes a lot of the events decently enough to follow along. I'm sure there are some nods and references to previous works that are flying over my head but it's hardly anything that is affecting my overall enjoyment of it.

Back on-topic though. I make an effort to watch stuff outside of anime here and there. However, I do avoid most of western television, but this isn't so much because I view myself as some enlightened member of the weeaboo master race, but rather because there are some inherent limitations in the way the current western market works. Since American film and television producers seem to have unanimously decided that deeper stories can't be told in the animated medium, that means the vast majority of content that is at all worth your time and has any amount of effort put in is live action series. Problem is special effects budgets are significantly more expensive in live action than in animation, which automatically limits a lot of shows from venturing into more experimental and imaginative stories, often making producers opt for stories centered around more mundane and everyday things. Crime dramas, medical dramas, sitcoms, etc. Every once in a while you get something like Battlestar Galactica, The Walking Dead, or Game of Thrones, but even these series are padded out by lots of what I would consider to be filler and tedium as a result of the expensiveness of special effects budgets and the fact that episodes need to be a full hour runtime. They just can't afford to constantly spend on special effects, so it has to be padded out with something else; usually in the form of boring subplots or repetitive dialogue.

Now movies on the other hand don't tend to suffer as much from these problems, so I keep up with them much more than TV shows, but generally speaking, the inherently limited format of a lot of western shows keeps me from watching most of them.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
May 12, 2014 7:15 PM

Jul 2012
I just don't like watching TV shows because it takes more devotion (longer episodes up to like an hour per episodes) and I don't see any website like MAL for television series (other than the big ones like imdb and rotten). It's hard to please me with books too, while anime, I can watch shit but still get entertained.
May 12, 2014 7:19 PM

Apr 2007
mayukachan said:
I just don't like watching TV shows because it takes more devotion (longer episodes up to like an hour per episodes) and I don't see any website like MAL for television series (other than the big ones like imdb and rotten). It's hard to please me with books too, while anime, I can watch shit but still get entertained.

There really needs to be a MAL-like website for TV shows. It is a niche that needs filling.
May 12, 2014 7:19 PM

Feb 2014
Football/sport (Tennis during wimbeldon, NBA finals, Boxing main events) is probably my favourite form of entertainment.

Then Live action series and movies.

Anime probably falls last in my category of things I enjoy. I mean I like anime but used to be better back in the day I hardly watch any running shows. Just marathon 1 or 2 when seasons finish. Hate anime movies. Manga is alright I only read a few tho.

Those who only watch anime are narrow minded idiots that miss out, but is there loss..
May 12, 2014 7:23 PM

Nov 2010
Pond said:
mayukachan said:

There really needs to be a MAL-like website for TV shows. It is a niche that needs filling.
I would like a good one but there are some like trakt and I forget the names now.
May 12, 2014 7:26 PM

Jan 2013
1. Football (Liverpool fan)
2. Anime/manga
3. Movies
4. Books
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

May 12, 2014 7:29 PM

Jul 2012
Forgot to write a priority list too~

1. Anime
2. Classical Music (not just music, but videos and performances)
3. Manga
4. Books
5. Live Acton

IntroverTurtle said:
Pond said:
mayukachan said:

I would like a good one but there are some like trakt and I forget the names now.

Yeah I checked that one out before but the layout isn't to my liking. Not into flashy things for a listing site.
May 12, 2014 7:41 PM

May 2013
As a fan of tv crime dramas (please recommend some for me), mmo's, live movies, anything nintendo, and dubstep, I must disagree.
May 12, 2014 7:53 PM

Feb 2010
If you're insinuating about preferences being insular then you just need to look at other communities to understand it's not an inherent trait.
May 12, 2014 7:54 PM

Apr 2007
mayukachan said:

IntroverTurtle said:
Pond said:
mayukachan said:

Yeah I checked that one out before but the layout isn't to my liking. Not into flashy things for a listing site.

I agree. I signed up with trakt last year and quickly lost interest because the layout was just too heavy
May 12, 2014 7:57 PM

Nov 2010
I'd guess that the majority of anime fans watched dubbed anime on tv along with other shows. The fans that would use a site to keep track of their list(meaning probably at least 20 anime) and participate on the forum(where you see them to gather this generalization)(usually meaning they keep up to date with airing anime) are probably the more extreme of the fans and thus would watch less of other stuff.
May 12, 2014 8:00 PM

Jan 2014
Limiting yourself to one medium just creates skewed views of what other mediums are like.
Has anyone said Breaking Bad > Anime yet?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
May 12, 2014 8:06 PM

Jul 2011
1. Manchester United
2. My dog
3. Anime
4. Books
5. Movies
May 12, 2014 8:07 PM

Feb 2010
I'm sure the OP is well versed in the offerings from EU / Asia, I mean, even sociologies studies since early 90s has acknowledge the cultural difference across these continents. Not so narrow-minded anymore, ye?
May 12, 2014 8:11 PM

Jun 2009
Anime/manga are definitely my favorite mediums, but I really like Live-Action film and TV series as well. Not much of a book reader, unfortunately.

Interestingly enough, I used to read like crazy back in school. Still found time to play a lot of video games, though.

VudisMay 13, 2014 8:19 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 12, 2014 8:15 PM

Nov 2013
I've always preferred reading to anime. The animu can get stale after awhile. I spent most of high school reading or listening to music. Having anime as your main medium is pretty bad IMO.

VudisMay 13, 2014 8:20 AM
May 12, 2014 8:28 PM

Aug 2013
I think this mainly applies to anime otakus not anime fans in general. Limiting yourself to only one form of entertainment whatever it maybe is pretty close minded.
May 12, 2014 8:34 PM

Jun 2012
Let's see, my priority list in entertainment will be something like this:

1. Anime/manga.
2. Music.
3. Books
4. Soccer (Visca Barça).
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
May 12, 2014 8:38 PM

Jul 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
I think this mainly applies to anime otakus not anime fans in general. Limiting yourself to only one form of entertainment whatever it maybe is pretty close minded.

I have my reasons though. I actually really want to watch shows like Doctor Who or Sherlock but I can't at the moment. I want to read books but I see anime as a higher priority. At least catching up to airing shows~
May 12, 2014 8:45 PM

Aug 2013
mayukachan said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I have my reasons though. I actually really want to watch shows like Doctor Who or Sherlock but I can't at the moment. I want to read books but I see anime as a higher priority. At least catching up to airing shows~
Well that is understandable and what I said wouldn't really apply to you because you are not limiting yourself to only one form of entertainment. You are interested in watching non anime stuff but just can't at the moment.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9068 by darlingdoll »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

50 by Atashi_Agatha »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

40 by Atashi_Agatha »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

99 by DigiCat »»
9 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

31 by Yaggamy »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.