Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
May 12, 2014 1:06 PM
Jun 2008
Its the best anime airing right now... actually its not even close. Ive read all the manga currently out now too and that is also really good.

Have to wonder why its not more popular. No accounting for taste I suppose.
Dont be a chitogetard!!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 12, 2014 1:08 PM

Nov 2010
CG, sci fi, mecha, etc. And it's not the best that's currently airing, Ping Pong is. Sidonia is like 4th or 5th.
May 12, 2014 1:13 PM

Sep 2011
A lot of people dislike CG in their pure animes

also there's better stuff airing, however I'd still throw this in my top 5

edit, yeah, what ^ said too

Its the best anime airing right now... actually its not even close.

wait, so, which is it?? The best, or not even close?

Mod Edit: Removed spam and merged posts.
julyanMay 12, 2014 6:01 PM

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
May 12, 2014 3:40 PM

Jun 2012
Lime_ said:

He meant the rest weren't even close in comparison.

In terms of Manga (personal opinion) I'd have to agree, haven't read it in a couple years though.
SnK is one of Nihei's worse Manga though.
May 12, 2014 5:56 PM
Nov 2008
getting popular

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/dvd/2147354051/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_d_2_3_last

http://www.rankbank.net/amaran/history/?date=14050709&cat=dvd&asin=B00J2GGZ5C

#01 Love Live! second season
#04 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
#05 Knights of Sidonia
#22 selector infected WIXOSS
#46 Haikyu!!
#56 One Week Friends.
May 12, 2014 6:03 PM

Aug 2012
Thread Cleaned.

Keep the posts on-topic.
May 23, 2014 12:39 AM

May 2014
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Lime_ said:

He meant the rest weren't even close in comparison.

In terms of Manga (personal opinion) I'd have to agree, haven't read it in a couple years though.
SnK is one of Nihei's worse Manga though.

I disagree. It's different. I actually think Sidonia's character interaction and development are more deeply written than in his other work.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
May 26, 2014 12:19 AM

Oct 2007
In the west it's just not that hyped up and doesn't have anything that people typically get excited over these days like otaku references, fanservice, and dialogue that plays itself of as smart while also being wacky and genre saavy at the same time. Most people probably just look at it and think of it as cliche I'm willing to bet. Also shows that actually just try to straight up tell a story and build a world without any sort of gimmick don't tend to get a lot of attention anymore either. It's more about the spectacle and finding ways to frame things in an unusual way these days.

That and CGI is an automatic turn off for a lot of people.
May 26, 2014 12:52 AM

Nov 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
CG, sci fi, mecha, etc. And it's not the best that's currently airing, Ping Pong is. Sidonia is like 4th or 5th.

What is so good about ping pong? I didn't even try to watch it, art looks too horrible, I don't believe that it's plot is that good that it compensates for art, besides it's a sport anime and ping pong doesn't seem very interesting sport to me.
May 26, 2014 7:52 AM

Nov 2010
sadfacelv said:
IntroverTurtle said:

What is so good about ping pong? I didn't even try to watch it, art looks too horrible, I don't believe that it's plot is that good that it compensates for art, besides it's a sport anime and ping pong doesn't seem very interesting sport to me.
Everything.
May 26, 2014 10:56 AM

Nov 2013
that answer didn't encourage me to watch;/
May 26, 2014 11:03 AM
Jul 2013
sadfacelv said:

Ping Pong isn't really a normal sports anime. The best aspect of the show is it's focus on character development through character interactions and the stylistic choices in the show really add to this.
May 26, 2014 11:10 AM

Nov 2010
sadfacelv said:
I didn't answer trying to. It's obvious you won't watch it no matter what I say since before you've watched it the art is horrible, it can't have a plot that makes up for it, and it's a sports anime. I was just honestly answering the first question.

Nothing in the general sense(story, art, characters, etc) in Sidonia is better than it is in Ping Pong.
May 26, 2014 1:43 PM

Apr 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
sadfacelv said:
I didn't answer trying to. It's obvious you won't watch it no matter what I say since before you've watched it the art is horrible, it can't have a plot that makes up for it, and it's a sports anime. I was just honestly answering the first question.

Nothing in the general sense(story, art, characters, etc) in Sidonia is better than it is in Ping Pong.

Huh? Ping pong story, art better than Sidonia? Lol what are you smoking?
May 26, 2014 1:47 PM

Nov 2013
Z4k said:
IntroverTurtle said:
sadfacelv said:

A different opinion most likely.
May 26, 2014 2:01 PM

May 2014
I decided to check out Ping Pong. 3 episodes in, I'd say it's good - however because it's in an entirely different genre than Sidonia no Kishi, you honestly can't compare them directly in the same aspects. It's subjective, and simply a matter of preference.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
May 26, 2014 2:13 PM

Nov 2010
Z4k said:
Something better than whatever you are smoking.
May 26, 2014 2:14 PM

Nov 2013
I tried ping pong, it's good, but this crappy art style is too much, looks like some 5-year old's drawings, I guess I am more into mainstream stuff like Sidonia;(
May 26, 2014 2:18 PM

Apr 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
Z4k said:

Those two are complete opposite of each other both in story and art. I don't even want to know what made you believe these two should've been compared with each other.
May 26, 2014 2:49 PM

Nov 2010
Z4k said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Z4k said:

Those two are complete opposite of each other both in story and art. I don't even want to know what made you believe these two should've been compared with each other.
You could of course learn to read, and actually look at my first post to see why they were being compared.
May 26, 2014 7:20 PM

Jun 2007
Sidonia has a far better story and character development than anything out right now but because of the CGI a lot of people avoid it like the plague. It's a little disappointing that they didn't at least invest in better CGI. O well, still a good show worth watching.
May 26, 2014 10:13 PM
Jun 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
sadfacelv said:

thats just your incorrect opinion and yes opinions can be incorrect. My opinion is a fact because its the only one igaf about.

Id rather stab myself in the eyes than watch ping pong.
Dont be a chitogetard!!!!
May 26, 2014 10:22 PM

Nov 2010
catullus said:
thats just your incorrect opinion and yes opinions can be incorrect. My opinion is a fact because its the only one igaf about.

Id rather stab myself in the eyes than watch ping pong.
Whatever you say.
May 26, 2014 11:53 PM

Jul 2007
Can we please avoid getting into pointless arguments with elitistSOLtrolls who believe that kitsch like KON or Clannad are a bigger masterpiece than Akira?
May 27, 2014 12:04 PM

Oct 2007
DeathfireD said:
Sidonia has a far better story and character development than anything out right now but because of the CGI a lot of people avoid it like the plague. It's a little disappointing that they didn't at least invest in better CGI. O well, still a good show worth watching.

People don't care about those sorts of things on MAL really. It's not the current hype so things like those don't really matter.
May 27, 2014 12:10 PM

Nov 2010
Fai said:
Can we please avoid getting into pointless arguments with elitistSOLtrolls who believe that kitsch like KON or Clannad are a bigger masterpiece than Akira?
Who the fuck's talking about K-ON, Clannad, or any other SoL anime on here?
May 27, 2014 1:02 PM

Nov 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
DeathfireD said:

People don't care about those sorts of things on MAL really. It's not the current hype so things like those don't really matter.

They do actually. The problem is with CGI.
This is basically a much better Attack on Titan (imo), we would most certainly have had hype for this show if it wasn't in CGI.
Oh well, it's their loss I guess.
May 27, 2014 1:06 PM

Mar 2013
Best show of the season, but saying that CGI doesn't really bother me.

May 27, 2014 1:23 PM

Nov 2010
Botato said:
This is basically a much better Attack on Titan (imo), we would most certainly have had hype for this show if it wasn't in CGI.
This isn't really that similar to SnK. And the problem isn't only with the CGI. It's also a sci fi mecha. Two genres that aren't too popular on here.
May 27, 2014 2:02 PM

Nov 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Botato said:
This isn't really that similar to SnK. And the problem isn't only with the CGI. It's also a sci fi mecha. Two genres that aren't too popular on here.

Ah good point.
Hopefully more people will give it a chance when it's over :|
May 27, 2014 5:36 PM
Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
] This isn't really that similar to SnK. And the problem isn't only with the CGI. It's also a sci fi mecha. Two genres that aren't too popular on here.

I think the plot is similar enough to draw a comparison. Humanity is cornered by powerful monsters. Situation is painted as hopeless by showing mass killings by attacking monsters. Opposition forces are shown to be inferior. It's established early that some good guys will be killed.Teenage boy joins the opposition and surprises everyone with his abilities. Plenty of overlap to be found.

Also, I'll agree with Botato and say Sidonia is the better of the two. Nowhere near as good as Ping Pong, though.
May 27, 2014 5:41 PM

Feb 2010
I think everything has been said. Ping Pong is awesome, people dislike CGI no matter how good the series actually is and Sidonia is better than AoT.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 27, 2014 5:42 PM

Jun 2013
Because of the CGI and there's no sight of moe anywhere.

Sidonia is my 2nd favorite this season just right behind Ping Pong.
May 27, 2014 5:53 PM

May 2014
People don't like the CGI, but they're missing out. Top 5 anime easily this season.
May 28, 2014 9:02 AM

Sep 2013
Sidonia > Captain Earth
May 28, 2014 10:56 AM

Nov 2013
jhoanais said:
Sidonia > Captain Earth

Of course.
Captain Earth is just bleh at this point; lots of plot conveniences and cheesy moments, not to mention a butt load of technobabble and too little explanation to what the hell is going on.
People keep saying it gets better later on, but I'm not expecting anything (All I want are some explanations please.)
May 29, 2014 6:05 AM

Sep 2012
jhoanais said:
Sidonia > Captain Earth

Almost everything > Captain Earth
May 29, 2014 6:28 AM

Jul 2012
SleepingEntity said:
jhoanais said:
Sidonia > Captain Earth

How cruel lol
Even if it's actually true xD
May 29, 2014 9:47 AM

Apr 2014
SleepingEntity said:
jhoanais said:
Sidonia > Captain Earth

I can't even deny that truth lol
May 29, 2014 4:15 PM

Sep 2012
Not to turn this into a thread about Captain Earth, but basically I can't help but feel that it's something like Anohana/Anonatsu at heart. The problem is it's trying too hard to be a mecha like Gundam when it should stay slice of life, and the results aren't pretty.

Edited for grammar. Never using my phone to comment again.
SleepingEntityMay 30, 2014 2:13 AM
May 29, 2014 8:55 PM

Jun 2013
In almost every case, the popularity of anime for the season is already decided BEFORE THE SEASON EVEN STARTS.

Whichever anime was the most hyped, best marketed, has popular studios/directors, and panders to the weebs most will win.

There are very few exceptions to this rule.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei is a great example. Extremely hyped show. So many people were talking about it before the season started, its hype alone was the reason it's number 1 in views. It is a very mediocre and unremarkable show that would not be in the least bit popular if it did not have the 1-up.

If you think anime are popular because of how good they are, you are a fucking moron.
ex_necrossMay 29, 2014 9:05 PM
May 29, 2014 9:28 PM

Jul 2012
SleepingEntity said:
Not to turn this into a thread about Captain Earth, but basically I can't help but feel that it's something like Anohana/Anonatsu at heart. The problem is its trying to hard to be a mecha like Gundam when it should stay slice of life, and the results aren't pretty.

You're referring to Captain Earth right? Because, I agree. It should have less mecha and more of the slice of life and relationship developments just like the Ano shows.

jhoanais said:
Sidonia > Captain Earth

Yeah. I think they both do well at what they're aiming for though. Sidonia is obviously the more serious and dark one. Captain Earth's faults are that there's too much to be covered at this point.
May 30, 2014 12:54 AM
Dec 2012
The art of Ping Pong isn't crappy. its different and fantastic. If you hate it so much I'd say you will miss all the great anime of Yuasa - Tatami, Kaiba, Kemonozume and Mindgame.
May 30, 2014 2:18 AM

Nov 2013
archrook said:
The art of Ping Pong isn't crappy. its different and fantastic. If you hate it so much I'd say you will miss all the great anime of Yuasa - Tatami, Kaiba, Kemonozume and Mindgame.

I don't see how the anime would suffer from a better art, it's not like I request bishounens and kawai girls. Ping Pong art is just too retarded, even I can draw that crappy, looks more like lazyness or saving money. He should write books or LN.
May 30, 2014 2:57 AM
Nov 2010
sadfacelv said:
archrook said:

I don't see how the anime would suffer from a better art, it's not like I request bishounens and kawai girls. Ping Pong art is just too retarded, even I can draw that crappy, looks more like lazyness or saving money. He should write books or LN.

Your taste in art is rather narrowed to familiarity then. Ping Pong's art, for a show about characterisations, is way more expressive than most. Sidonia suffers on that front because of its art, and characters are just flat. This difference translates directly to the amount of information a viewer gets from any scene. Whereas Sidonia needs an entire episode to convey a simple event of stranded people, the same information in Ping Pong would've been conveyed just as effectively via a 10 sec montage. It's simply comes down to great vs merely above average direction.
potplantMay 30, 2014 3:01 AM
May 30, 2014 3:14 AM

Nov 2013
Are you talking about ep6? It didn't seem that unpleasant and slow to me, so I don't understand, sorry. I don't see how plot/characters would would suffer from good art. I remember how many peolpe didn't like art style in Shiki, but it was 100 times better than this halfassed drawing in ping pong;/ I can't really see it as "style", reminds me of old disney cartoons;/
May 30, 2014 3:19 AM

Jun 2013
potplant said:
sadfacelv said:
archrook said:

Your taste in art is rather narrowed to familiarity then. Ping Pong's art, for a show about characterisations, is way more expressive than most. Sidonia suffers on that front because of its art, and characters are just flat. This difference translates directly to the amount of information a viewer gets from any scene. Whereas Sidonia needs an entire episode to convey a simple event of stranded people, the same information in Ping Pong would've been conveyed just as effectively via a 10 sec montage. It's simply comes down to great vs merely above average direction.

You fall under the category of people who like something just because it's different, even when it's quality is nowhere near praiseworthy. Ping Pong is one of these cases. Just because something is different doesn't give it a free pass.

Sidonia is also definitely not normal, but its production values, music, story, atmosphere, emotional impact, etc etc are superb.
May 31, 2014 5:43 PM
Jan 2014
I think people should not talk bad about a someone`s artwork juts because they can`t seem to connect with it (which is totally fine, since everyone is different) and tell people off by telling them "you like them only because they are different." That does not make even a point. In my personal opinion the artwork of Ping pong is amazing and I love every work created by Matsumoto Taiyou.

I love both anime: Ping Pong and Knights of Sidonia.
What I like about Ping Pong: artwork, story, characters, soundtrack.
What I like about Sidonia: Sci-Fi soundtrack story.

I am always happy to see that the subbed versions are up for both anime for different reasons. I guess the reason why Sidonia is not so popular is probably it is not suitable for several age groups and audiences. It is very specific and therefore very very cool. I think we should just sit back and enjoy this.
May 31, 2014 6:15 PM

Jul 2012
+1 Ilyenacid
Nicely said! :D I also love them both.
Jun 1, 2014 2:23 AM

Nov 2013
galimx said:

lol you are funny, you sure can draw like that, yeah. dont be stupid and learn something about animation first, then talk its crap.

Aren't animation and art different things? I don't give a crap about animation usually, all I heard that animation in Ping Pong not okay too, like they are all bending in strange angles like they don't have bones or gravity is not working, but i am talking about drawings. Characters are drawn poorly without putting much effort. Al lI know about anime/manga creation process is mostly from Bakuman, they put a lot of effort into drawings and halfassed art like main character's uncle's ancient manga wasn't really considered good.
sadfacelvJun 1, 2014 2:27 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

227 by fooumies »»
Dec 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.