Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2014 11:44 AM

Aug 2007
Hey everyone!

I've been meaning to get around to this, but I would greatly appreciate the community helping me as well.

1. As the relations list for Subs Fucking Where is growing so much, it is getting harder to manage what has been subbed and what hasn't. I personally believe there may be one or two anime or more in that list that have been subbed completely or currently being subbed, but no one has reported it. If you find something that fits this criteria, please let us know with a comment. I'll be adding two more people as admins to help in this process as well as add and remove anime; provided they agree with it, lanblade and LittleStar - who I've noticed have been the most active in this club.

2. That said, there are some specific anime on this list which may or may not have any raw source - listed on AniDB, Nyaa, Amazon Japan, or other reputable public sources - I'd like these to be removed as it unlikely these will ever be subbed when a raw source is unavailable. If you find something that fits this criteria, please let us know with a comment as well. If raw sources to these anime pop up in the future, these anime can be added again at that time.

3. Any anime associated with companies owned by or related with Disney and 4Kids/WB/CBS shall be removed.

4. No hentai. Ecchi and nudity is fine, but no explicit cases of sex. Contact me on an individual anime case if you are unsure.
alchemist11Jul 17, 2014 10:28 AM
Team Leader & Manager of ray=out.
A non-profit independent Japanese and Chinese anime/manga translation and subtitle provider.
http://rayout.org/ - Browse through our site to get to know us better.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 13, 2014 2:21 AM

Jan 2011
1. I'm onboard if you want to have me as an admin. Quite used to managing large sidebar relations from admining the trio of The Shorts Club and the duo English Licensed Manga club.

2. How niche is niche for reputable public sources?
In my rompings when I add DB entries to MAL I come across titles that are so old and/or so 'meh' that nobody is selling the LD/VHS but a Japanese video rental website like Tsutaya has it. Granted, us "don't live in Japan, don't have a chance" plebs won't be able to get it but maybe a RAW provider living there from some sub group can. It's perhaps the nichest niche of availability. Would we include such titles in the club or kick them out for being "too hard to get"?
On a similar note, what about auctions? Like Actions!Yahoo and other ebay-style Japanese sites.

3. Is it removing?:
Internationally-but-English-titles-only? or
Internationally-all-titles-in-any-language? or
USA-only?
since those programs air/aired all over the world in various states of dub.
May 15, 2014 10:18 AM

Aug 2007
Tsutaya is pretty recognised in Japan. Same with Rakuten. I'd recommend using the Alexa ranking system and checking that the website is within the top 1000 sites of Japan (not global ranking). I might lower that number depending on the site (verify the website with me if the site is greater than 700). Most sites I have found that have DVDs/VHS of anime for rental or purchase are top sites when you search on Google. As for auctions and similar sites, I'd say ignore them. Even if something is available there, it is hard to get because of many reasons (location, price of item, shipping (if applicable) prices, condition (last thing you want is a DVD or VHS that is unreadable in one section due to poor care).

As for point 3, if it's licensed in English or available completely with English dubs/subs, irrespective of the country, remove them. As it is hard to find out if something is licensed, consider that item as licensed. If one half of something is licensed and the other half isn't, you would need to check if it is still airing or selling (Amazon Japan and Wikipedia). If so, remove them. If not, add/keep them. We don't deal with non-English subs or dubs, so you would not have them on this list anyway.
A non-profit independent Japanese and Chinese anime/manga translation and subtitle provider.
May 18, 2014 9:04 AM

Jan 2011
Everything answered; all sounds good.
May 18, 2014 9:08 AM
Mar 2011
alchemist11 said:
Tsutaya is pretty recognised in Japan. Same with Rakuten. I'd recommend using the Alexa ranking system and checking that the website is within the top 1000 sites of Japan (not global ranking). I might lower that number depending on the site (verify the website with me if the site is greater than 700). Most sites I have found that have DVDs/VHS of anime for rental or purchase are top sites when you search on Google. As for auctions and similar sites, I'd say ignore them. Even if something is available there, it is hard to get because of many reasons (location, price of item, shipping (if applicable) prices, condition (last thing you want is a DVD or VHS that is unreadable in one section due to poor care).

As for point 3, if it's licensed in English or available completely with English dubs/subs, irrespective of the country, remove them. As it is hard to find out if something is licensed, consider that item as licensed. If one half of something is licensed and the other half isn't, you would need to check if it is still airing or selling (Amazon Japan and Wikipedia). If so, remove them. If not, add/keep them. We don't deal with non-English subs or dubs, so you would not have them on this list anyway.

side note
why not try to buy from the wibesite of the publisher if they have a store like bandai and toei do for example
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 29, 2014 7:57 PM

Jan 2011
FGAU1912 said:

side note
why not try to buy from the wibesite of the publisher if they have a store like bandai and toei do for example

We're not subbers so it doesn't matter where it comes from.
May 29, 2014 8:03 PM

Jan 2011

http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=5091
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=8240
Similar issue but Paramount Pictures owned and dubbed both.

http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=3836
Similar as well. All dubbed and aired on Nickelodeon.
lanbladeMay 30, 2014 9:19 PM
May 30, 2014 1:03 PM

Feb 2010
Is it relevant if there are dubs of other languages available?
I had no problems finding a german version of
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=2813
for example.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 30, 2014 1:33 PM

Aug 2007
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
for example.

We don't deal with non-English subs or dubs, so you would not have them on this list anyway.

@lanblade, you can remove all of the anime listed under 'Inclined to have these removed. Yay or nay my reasonings so we can remove them or keep them and I can update the spreadsheet.' to the end of the post.

Give me some time to go through the anime on top of the post.
alchemist11May 30, 2014 1:38 PM
May 30, 2014 1:40 PM

Feb 2010
alchemist11 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
for example.

We don't deal with non-English subs or dubs, so you would not have them on this list anyway.

What exactly does that mean in this context though? If a title from the list gets removed because it can't be subbed for a lack of raws, that's just not true in that case. They could make english subs for the german dub so it's available to english-speaking viewers and the general internet.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 30, 2014 2:11 PM

Aug 2007
I understand that. But bringing awareness to anime that only have raws in another language (but not Japanese) doesn't help someone that doesn't speak that language looking for to see it in English dubs or subs. And for subs to happen, you would need the Japanese raws anyway. If that person did speak a language other than English, they would go seek the non-English dubs/subs themselves.

If it has not said before, I will say that, the intentions of this club is to bring awareness to anime so that licensing companies or subbers notice their important and bring forth English dubs or subs to anime. If subs, the source audio HAS to be Japanese, the original dubbing. Not another language. We don't promote the English subtitling of non-English Japanese animations and neither does MyAnimeList.net.
May 30, 2014 2:53 PM

Aug 2007
@lanblade
In response to the anime at the top of your list:

Keep '11 Piki no Neko to Ahoudori'. Raws are on YouTube.
Remove 'Ahiru no Quack'. Although dubs/subs are now available for all of the episodes, early box sets seems to be selling strong on Amazon.com.
Keep 'Captain Future'. Raws are available according to AniDB.
Remove 'Ecchan no Sensou'. I didn't find any results of raws.
Remove 'Hi no Tori: Kizuna Hen'. If this was limited to special screenings, then I guess do remove. When in doubt, remove anyway.
Remove 'Jungle Kurobee'. A note on AniDB says: 'Because of the movement of anti-discrimination against blacks triggered by the Chibi Kuro Sanbo (The Story of Little Black Sambo) issue in 1996, the publishers recalled the manga, and the anime has also disappeared since then.' That might be the reason to the lack of raws to the other episodes. I also noticed the 12 raws are pretty small in resolution (320 x 240) and this indicates that it might have been available on-line at some point or ripped from an on-line source (added to AniDB in 2011).
Remove 'Kaitou Lupin: 813 no Nazo'. I didn't find any results of raws.
Remove 'Kamiusagi Rope: Christmas'. I didn't find any results of raws.
Remove 'Kemono no Souja Erin: Soushuuhen'. I didn't find any results of raws.

More coming to Post.
alchemist11May 30, 2014 7:00 PM
May 30, 2014 3:50 PM

Jan 2011
●"To the end of the post" does that mean to the end of the that section of the post or the whole post.
Ugg, to not beat around the bush, does that include the " Unsure if these fall under your Rule 3 or not." anime I mentioned?

●I got the yay-or-nay ones removed.

●11 Piki no Neko to Ahoudori
Double check because I saw "11 Piki no Neko" on youtube but not "11 Piki no Neko to Ahoudori".

Ahiru no Quack-removed

Captain Future
AniDB shows me only French dub RAWs are available. Is that fine?
I couldn't find any Jap dub-anything for that series.

Ecchan no Sensou-removed

Hi no Tori: Kizuna Hen-removed

I edited my original post to remove help-find-raws entries so as to not end up clicking the same junk over and over when one has already been addressed.
May 30, 2014 4:31 PM

Aug 2007
Oh, my bad. Then remove 11 Piki no Neko to Ahoudori.

If you search the 'no group' part of the AniDB page, you see a whole list of Japanese raw listings. Non-Japanese dubs don't count as raws. Raws have to be Japanese audio and video, but mostly audio.
May 30, 2014 6:06 PM

Jan 2011
No group is currently shown to be on a list of 1 guy (hieisama). Since anyone can make a no group entry to fit whatever needs they require for their AniDB list, I feel like that's a poor representation of what's available. Captain Future where Jap dub is shown to be a DVD release according to that 1 guy even though we literally cannot find any record of Captain Future being released on DVD in Japan ever. ಠ_ಠ i call hijinks

11 Piki no Neko to Ahoudori-removed
May 30, 2014 6:15 PM

Aug 2007
lanblade said:
No group is currently shown to be on a list of 1 guy (hieisama). Since anyone can make a no group entry to fit whatever needs they require for their AniDB list, I feel like that's a poor representation of what's available. Captain Future where Jap dub is shown to be a DVD release according to that 1 guy even though we literally cannot find any record of Captain Future being released on DVD in Japan ever. ಠ_ಠ i call hijinks

11 Piki no Neko to Ahoudori-removed

You're right. I forgot to check that too. Yeah, you can remove that too if DVD/VHS are not available.
May 30, 2014 6:47 PM

Jan 2011
Arigato amigo, Captain Future-removed.
(Although, there is a really shitty Eng dub compilation movie if anybody wants to suffer through that lol.)
May 30, 2014 8:43 PM

Aug 2007
You can remove everything else. Just verify that they are not on Amazon Japan and Amazon.com.
May 30, 2014 9:22 PM

Jan 2011
Got them removed.

How about those Eng dubbed ones? Are they too close too Disney/4Kids style or can they stay?
May 31, 2014 12:53 AM

Aug 2007
Can you post the links to what you are specifically talking about here?
May 31, 2014 2:50 PM

Aug 2007
I see. Yes, remove them. May still be licensed or available with dubs.
Oct 5, 2014 9:09 AM

Aug 2007
Along with Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan and Doraemon, we don't be listing any Anpanman or related animes, irrespective of whether raws are available.
alchemist11Oct 5, 2014 9:13 AM
Apr 5, 2015 1:09 PM

Aug 2007
List is becoming extremely big again with the recent influx of anime from various key members. I am looking for some suggestions on how to limit them or rather remove anime based on certain criteria. Do you have anything in mind?

Discussion open to members and admins.
Apr 5, 2015 6:17 PM

May 2008
Get rid of 1-2 episode specials and Movies that are part of existing series.

We don't need to list every Doraemon movie and special for example so the same should apply to other titles.

I'd also get rid of shorts.
Apr 5, 2015 8:03 PM

Aug 2007
Thanks for bringing that up.

I was thinking of certainly getting rid of specials or films that are recaps or 'extended remakes' of a TV series. I'm not sure about specials in general though. I know there are a lot, but some are just incomplete with one or two episodes that need subs. I'll have to go through a few and talk with lanblade later.

As for shorts - again, I'll have to go through some of them too and decide what to do. I'll need someone to tell me which anime on the list are shorts, if available. Unlike specials, which have the word special in the name, it will be very hard to find shorts.

I'm planning on removing anime that have translated scripts. Since I'm in the scene, I can probably get information of some existing SFW anime that have translated scripts (although not on the list, an example would be the remaining Tokimeki Tonight episodes). I have the scripts of all of remaining Ganime and Symphony. This anomaly will only apply to anime which are completed translated, not half done as that would make it a SFW anime in the first place. P.S. I won't reveal the name of the group that has these translated scripts unless it has been publicly announced.
Apr 5, 2015 10:00 PM

Jan 2011
I think having a "if the main anime hasn't been subbed, then its relation entries can't be on the list". So like Magical★Taruruuto-kun can be on the list because it's the main anime and hasn't been subbed. But it's relations:
Magical★Taruruuto-kun Movie
Magical★Taruruuto-kun: Moeru! Yuujou no Mahou Taisen
Magical★Taruruuto-kun: Sukisuki Takoyaki!
would kick the bucket and be removed. Since it's pretty damn rare for someone to sub a relation before they the main series is subbed. Best to just have the main show before we get greedy wanting the relations too.

I'm okay with recaps being removed. Most of the ep would have been already subbed by proxy from the main anime. Seldom do they add more than 5 min of new dialogue.

For shorts as in "anything under 15 min in length", excel has a great duplication finder under conditional formatting which we can use our club stacked against the Shorts club.

That sniffs out 213 anime out of the 739 the club has total. Removing them would knock the club back to 526 entries.

This one's a bit different but what about excluding anime with a "kids" genre? Generally those have simple Japanese and simple stories that it's not hard for a non-native to follow since well, they're for kids. So then the stuff left behind for the club would be "please have your N3 or higher ready to watch" type of anime.
Apr 6, 2015 12:50 AM

May 2008
lanblade said:

This one's a bit different but what about excluding anime with a "kids" genre? Generally those have simple Japanese and simple stories that it's not hard for a non-native to follow since well, they're for kids. So then the stuff left behind for the club would be "please have your N3 or higher ready to watch" type of anime.

Where do you draw the line for kiddy show? Some old children shows have a cultural impact and have fans as adults. Dr. Slump is considered a children's show but I'd love to see it subbed as I'm a fan of Toriyama's work.
Apr 6, 2015 4:23 AM

Jan 2011
Sloggett said:
lanblade said:

Where do you draw the line for kiddy show? Some old children shows have a cultural impact and have fans as adults. Dr. Slump is considered a children's show but I'd love to see it subbed as I'm a fan of Toriyama's work.

I drew the line at things with a "kids" genre. Dr. Slump doesn't have a kids genre. It has a shounen genre.
Apr 6, 2015 6:16 PM

Aug 2007
lanblade said:
I think having a "if the main anime hasn't been subbed, then its relation entries can't be on the list".

I approve. You can go ahead and remove them. As well as recaps or extended remakes of TV series. Keep the shorts for now, but remove all Picture Drama. Let's also remove any web-based anime. Series, ova, special, etc. Acquiring raws for these are never really an issue and they tend to get backed up on the internet by people who want to see them (or if it's on YouTube, will likely be there indefinitely or until the respective copyright holder decides to take it down).

I think the best way to draw the line for kids show (because I don't want to rule out having things like Battle Spirits which was made for kids even though it contains nudity) would be based on the length and duration of each episode. The #1 reason a kids anime isn't subbed completely is because of the length, followed by the duration or a combination of both. We'll keep any kids show that are 250 episodes or less. Any anime more than this, like Doraemon will not be accepted. I would like to visit this particular matter another time to see if these kids shows have made any positive or negative impacts to the length of the SFW list.
lanbladeOct 22, 2016 5:46 PM
Apr 7, 2015 8:12 AM

Jan 2011
I'll spruce up the relations and add in the new ones from the club comments this weekend.
And post the list of what got kicked out here in this thread so everyone in the club is on the same page.
Apr 7, 2015 4:44 PM

Aug 2007
Okay. Post that information (the list of anime you remove) to the Anime Relations List [on-going] thread. Thanks.
Apr 11, 2015 2:44 AM

Apr 2013
I was looking for Sasuke subs when I came across this club. While looking through the relations I noticed http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=16395 which has subs out.
Apr 11, 2015 9:48 AM

Jan 2011
Elmm said:
I was looking for Sasuke subs when I came across this club. While looking through the relations I noticed http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=16395 which has subs out.

It's been brought up before but the "sub group" AndyRayy is just one dude who used google translate to sub it. We require an actual Japanese translator to have the anime graduate from the club. Otherwise it's the equivalent of a highschooler doing their foreign language essay homework.
Apr 11, 2015 7:34 PM

Jan 2011
Okay, all updated. We now have 595 club relations.

There were two that were Music types. Believe and Donna Donna, should we kick these out as well?
Apr 11, 2015 8:23 PM

Aug 2007
Elmm said:

Poke Saizen about Sasuke subs. I believe they at one point were trying to recruit a translator for the anime. Not sure if they have acquired one nor still interested.

Google / Bing / Yahoo translations don't apply here, but Hong Kong or non-English and non-Japanese to English subs (such as Italian, German, etc dubs to English subs) do. And of course, if it is dubbed, it won't be on this list anyway.

lanblade, if they are music videos like Yume no Kakera, then boot them out. Otherwise, keep them. I would consider them shorts.
Apr 11, 2015 9:03 PM

Jan 2011
Believe is half-story half-normal-music-vid so it can stay. No idea about Donna Donna since RAWs aren't online. Though it is a Minna no Uta so I'm inclined to measure it against the tens and tens of other minna no uta vids: http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=minna%20no%20uta
where they're just songs done by famous people that now have imagery attached. The NHK publishes compilation DVDs of them and from a quick overview there's a few hundred of them in existence. Shame nobody has ripped those discs.

There are some music vids in the Shorts club which were added before I joined their admin team so I left them alone when I updated their relations.
Dec 14, 2015 7:10 PM

Jan 2011
Test post for updated/more clear-i-fied rules

If anime anime meets one of these; it cannot join the club:
1. From the "Anime Relations List [on-going] thread
2. From the "Anime Completely Translated, but not Subbed!" thread
3. ONA type
4. Music type
5. Short (≤15 min per episode)
*6. Recaps/summary eps (not even if they have new footage)
7. Special format releases (3D, IMAX, VR, planetarium films, amusement park, anime convention, etc.)
**8. English dub was made
**9. Foreign dub/sub was made
10. Hong Kong subs were made (these are good enough subs)
11. Sequels/spinoffs if the main anime hasn’t been subbed/dubbed yet. If it has, then only 1 next in line gets added, not every special ever known to man for that franchise.
12. Hentai
13. Dead anime. It must have RAWs available to download or purchase in a reasonable manner. Nobody can sub an anime that no longer exists to obtain or requires some backflips to get such as bidding on an auction site or having a teacher’s license to rent from a library’s special section. (Mods may do the work for you in figuring this out)
14. Currently Airing anime.
15. Anime with over 100 episodes; unless the anime is partially subbed and has than less than 100 episodes left to be completely subbed (e.g. Chibi Maruko-chan doesn't qualify b/c it has 142 episodes and only 2 are subbed leaving 140 eps unsubbed.)

If anime anime meets one of these; it can join the club:
1. Partial Eng sub (>3 months since last release unless sub group specifies they’re slow)
**2. Movies and OVAs after 1 year of last release in Japan and/or last sub release
****3. Specials after 3 months of last DVD/BD RAW release on a major torrent site
4. Google translated subs (for getting a real Japanese translation. Hong Kong subs are excluded.)

*for the sake of this club getting more relations each month, I thought being super strict with recaps would be good. We had like 3 entries which were partial recaps that had additional footage (previously I removed all true-recaps). If you watch the main anime, you'll understand 90% of the recap so then the new footage ends up falling into the "no shorts" category since it's rarely more than 15 min of new footage.

**if an anime got a incomplete English or foreign dub may join if 10 or more episodes have available dubs OR if more than 1/3rd of the show has available dubs.

***something I came up with. Most movies hit DVD/BD 9-12 months after the opening theater date. They're subbed pretty quickly if it's a main anime. Most kiddy anime don't stand a chance though anyway. Saves us time from having to look up home-video releases if we just slap a 12 month time limit on it.
OVAs are special retarded snowflakes. Most of the new ones added to the club are the ones bundled with manga volumes...which means they aren't rentable...which means they take forever to show up on torrent sites since someone actually has to buy them from Japan rather than having a RAW guy rent it. Time/money issues come into play and I usually see ones that are fully subbed like this are subbed within the year.

****Specials are released with the DVD/BD of an anime (if they're >15 min) so they're bound be subbed fairly quick unlike their OVA brothers. TV specials/one-shot-for-TV-movies are specials too and rarely are those subbed so they'd quickly be added to the club. With both of these reasons I found a 3 month wait satisfactory like with stalled TV subbed anime.
lanbladeFeb 24, 2019 1:30 PM
May 15, 2017 1:09 PM

Aug 2007
lanblade said:
Now what about partial dubs? Say we find out that Alice SOS got 10 eps dubbed in Singapore before being dropped. Can this anime stay in the club or is it kicked out?

Just realised that I haven't answered this question. It can join/stay in the club if it does indeed have 10 or more than 1/3 dubbed episodes with the rest undubbed or dropped (either due to license expiration, never being renewed or licensor went bankrupt). Anime that are dubbed less than 1/3 would join automatically if the rest are not dubbed in any other language or available with English subs.
May 15, 2017 2:59 PM

Jan 2011
I think there was an anime where it got a partial dub that was still actively held by a company and I didn't know what to do with it b/c it didn't fit into our license rules nor dub rules like every other anime. Like the company for whatever reason didn't want to finish off the show but there was a gap. Theoretically the company might have licensed X amount of eps or X amount of cours and couldn't afford the rest so subbing the leftovers would be okayish legalish wise since the dub company doesn't technically own the rights to the last batch of episodes. But I can't remember what it was anymore. I know there was a similar situation with FUNimation with D.Gray-man for the longest time. It took 6 years to fix but that particular show doesn't matter since it got fansubbed entirely before but that's the only one I remember by name at how weird the situation was since it was such a well known series.
lanbladeMay 15, 2017 3:04 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» AI subs?

PxHC - Jul 23, 2023

0 by PxHC »»
Jul 23, 2023 7:37 AM

» MOST WANTED ( 1 2 )

LayedBack - Nov 4, 2013

86 by IdeDial »»
Jun 16, 2023 5:25 PM

» Recaps

ShadowMonkey - Aug 21, 2018

3 by IridescentJaune »»
Feb 28, 2023 9:02 AM

» Seeking Admin

alchemist11 - Feb 21, 2022

5 by alchemist11 »»
Mar 19, 2022 3:11 PM

Sticky: » Anime Completely Translated, but not Subbed!

alchemist11 - May 30, 2015

12 by sorcery »»
Dec 14, 2020 6:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.