Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 8, 2014 9:16 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Looks like part of the episode took place the beach.

I thought the episode was good though with a nice breather after that tournament. I'm looking forward to China to compete in the future again though. I really like some of the symbolism again with Smile. OST was alright I guess. Smile's skill at ping pong is something that I thought was pretty neat though. RIP racket
May 8, 2014 10:13 AM
May 2014
There is an intended "spoiler" in episode 1. When Kong said: "Maybe it's more of a pity to believe in a talent you don't have."

Just like Akuma, he does not have a gift in table tennis. Though he will find his place towards the end. How? If you are eager to know, read the manga.

Ping Pong is not about ping pong, its about life. This is the reason why I think this show is better than Haikyuu!! and Baby Steps.
May 8, 2014 10:48 AM

Aug 2010
That was quite amazing :D

This ep felt deep.

Kong deciding to stay was nice. Seems like he's learning Japanese? Hope we get to see him get stronger soon. I'm really loving this guy.

Peco totally went delinquent route. He looks like a totally different person :O

Smile owned Akuma so bad. No Mercy at all O_O u gotta feel bad for the dude. Didn't expect Smile to become that serious about TT though. His training menu is difficult as hell. The dude is a Boss now!

Seems like Akuma went Delinquent route too then.

Still can't see where this is going. But enjoying a lot :D
May 8, 2014 11:02 AM

Nov 2009
Seems like one of the messages is how real talent is cruel as it disillusions those without it once they're faced with it, changing their life forever. Until they can accept it and move on, they'll be suffering.

And yeah, despite the questionable animation style, this show is better than both Highkyuu and Baby Steps, maybe because unlike the other two that are shounen, this is seinen.
CGMay 8, 2014 11:19 AM
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
May 8, 2014 11:43 AM

Sep 2012
Yeah.
We got the hard worker one getting screwed, and the talented one get to advance. That's great once in while.
May 8, 2014 12:12 PM

Apr 2009
Five episodes in and every character has had more development than most characters in 100+ episode shows. I have no idea where this will end and this is absolutely amazing.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
May 8, 2014 12:34 PM

Nov 2010
Another good episode. Kazama's causing problems in his own team, I wonder if his attitude will change in the end. I also don't see Smile's, his team, and Peco's relationship staying the same. I still expect Peco and Smiles to play against each other, I think that's important.
Peco growing out his hair and acting like a delinquent. Sakuma was cool with that Samurai imagery and that was a hardball Smiles, direct and critical hit.

It seems like all of the strong enemies(Kong, Sakuma, Peco) are dropping out. Just Kazuma and Smiles are left. I do expect other things to happen though. Especially with Kong and Peco.
May 8, 2014 12:35 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow Peco throwing away his racquet :( And Smile was pretty harsh too when he told Sakuma that he doesn't have the talent so there's no use in screaming about it. Things sure have changed from the last episode. But the truth has to be said sometimes, and it's better to hear it now than later. But at least Sakuma hadn't blamed those who have talent before, because people do do that in real life. Yet at the same time, it still sucks to have all your hardwork seem futile at the face of talent.

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare Ping Pong to Haikyuu or Baby Steps (or really, any shounen sports anime) because the focus here is different. And like CG mentioned, Ping Pong is seinen and not shounen. There is more depth here, but I highly enjoy all three, and pretty much equally.
May 8, 2014 12:35 PM

Mar 2012
Smile just wrecked Akuma hard. A very clever and subtle episode. It's sad but true; people will have the natural talent and will beat those even who work much harder. That new ED is glorious too.
May 8, 2014 12:38 PM

Oct 2013
Shieeett! The sense of reality of this anime is amazingly real
dream crushed by reality
Unless you're an evil villain, we rarely find this kind of shit pulled on other manga/anime
"Burn the heretics"
May 8, 2014 12:51 PM
Manga DB Admin
Jun 2010
I'm really enjoying the new scenes with Wenge. Very subtle and touching. The scenes with the Kaio coach were good too. It was also nice to see the shaggy guy make a cameo, but I prefer the manga's arcade scene. I think you can understand a little more of Peco's character from it.
I feel like the last scene was especially powerful, when Peco throws away his paddle. There's been a lot of star/moon imagery, since they're in Peco and Smile's names (hoshi from Hoshino, tsuki from Tsukimoto), and seeing Peco's paddle so small and far away from the moon really hits on how aloof and imposing Tsukimoto has become. Well, the only thing that can reach the moon is a shooting star, so we'll see how things go.
The new version of the ED song is pretty sweet, btw.
May 8, 2014 1:54 PM

Oct 2013
Dat moment when Smile told Sakuma that he's not good enough because he had no talent...you can always count on Smile to be blunt
May 8, 2014 2:00 PM
Sep 2011
Denji said:
I'm really enjoying the new scenes with Wenge. Very subtle and touching. The scenes with the Kaio coach were good too. It was also nice to see the shaggy guy make a cameo, but I prefer the manga's arcade scene. I think you can understand a little more of Peco's character from it.
I feel like the last scene was especially powerful, when Peco throws away his paddle. There's been a lot of star/moon imagery, since they're in Peco and Smile's names (hoshi from Hoshino, tsuki from Tsukimoto), and seeing Peco's paddle so small and far away from the moon really hits on how aloof and imposing Tsukimoto has become. Well, the only thing that can reach the moon is a shooting star, so we'll see how things go.
The new version of the ED song is pretty sweet, btw.

I totally agree. The show is becoming subtle and starts to construct layered characters. Using sports genre as a realistic approach on the psychological pressure on the talented and not talented people... Rely on Masaaki Yuasa to make a good show out of a simple premise. My possible pick as the best show of the year, if it turns out to have a cathartic climax like Tatami Galaxy.
May 8, 2014 2:32 PM
Feb 2014
Wenge takes 1st place as favourite

didn't realize until they called him peco that it was peco, so shocked
Best airing sports anime atm
I only read books i have already read
May 8, 2014 3:15 PM

Oct 2013
sakuma voice acting is amazing.
May 8, 2014 3:31 PM

Jun 2013
PEPSI
May 8, 2014 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
A great episode again.
The Shinsengumi reference xD
May 8, 2014 3:54 PM

Apr 2014
I really like Wenge, I hope there's more of him in the future.

Too bad for Peco and Akuma, talent beats them.

Smile such a boss
Red is the color of a hero
May 8, 2014 3:57 PM

Jul 2010
So Wenge did cry as he left home... Kazuma winning youth olympics??
Kaio is quite the powerhouse, felt bad for Manabu on no matter what efforts he puts in, he won't be the best :(
So Peco changed and threw his racket away.
I wonder if Tsukimoto won't go soft hearted as he has shown in this episode.
May 8, 2014 3:58 PM
Sep 2013
I really want to see Peco do well! Great episode.
May 8, 2014 4:07 PM

Jan 2009
great episode, im sorry for Sakuma and its true talent is needed in sports and looks like Peco realize it too lol thats why he throw his racket in the river
May 8, 2014 5:05 PM

May 2014
If I had to sum up this episode in one word, it'd be that it was 'real'. There's a lot of harsh reality in this episode and a lot of it is bittersweet.

Click here if you wanna read my character thoughts.

Overall, I think this was a great episode for character development. It's nice to let the plot sit back for a bit of a breather just so we can see the people in it.

And to those comparing this anime to other shonen sports anime, I really don't think it's fair. I don't watch other sports anime, but for Shonen Anime in general you are there for the ride and for excitement and to feel good about everything. The stories don't have to be so deep so long as you are enjoying the experience. Ping Pong on the other hand is much more deep and trying to make you feel uncomfortable. The art style alone is a testament to that. Ping Pong delves into the character's psychology and just use Table Tennis as a medium to keep the plot moving. We basically are watching a play about a bunch of people risking their lives and reputations on something as trivial as Ping Pong. It's not fair to compare sports anime of different genres because different anime are trying to do different things.
May 8, 2014 5:06 PM

Jul 2013
Akuma really wants to beat Smile, but to no effects. Smile seems a bit aggressive when he is playing against him. I felt the way that Kong play was pretty good. Why did Peco have to throw away his racket :(

Episode is getting better each time I watched it. Lets see how the next episode looks like.

May 8, 2014 5:09 PM

Jul 2011
Random comment: The Youth Olympic Games did not exist until 2010. (And I never heard of it until today... I remember the Olympics having a minimum age of 16 so I looked it up.) But the setting is the 90's or something, so it was even before the 1998 World Youth Games. o.O

Wow, Smile's harsh now. That really did surprise me.

But fabulous episode. Like when Peco threw his paddle away, it passed the "larger than usual" moon... And the themes are shining through well. Reminds me of Cross Game in that the sport is just the medium, not the focus.

Kong is a character that I love to learn about. He loves his mother and worries for her even though it seems like he's some uncaring child. The subtleness of it all makes it even better. He's definitely growing on me alot!
May 8, 2014 5:11 PM

Jan 2009
Mirorin said:
Random comment: The Youth Olympic Games did not exist until 2010. (And I never heard of it until today... I remember the Olympics having a minimum age of 16 so I looked it up.) But the setting is the 90's or something, so it was even before the 1998 World Youth Games. o.O

its a parallel universe
May 8, 2014 5:13 PM

Mar 2012
Kazama throwing his team under the bus. Brutal.
May 8, 2014 5:15 PM

Oct 2013
I love how aware the powerhouses are of their own abilities and the distance it creates between them and everyone else. The gap in skill and personality along with it is huge.
May 8, 2014 5:26 PM

Apr 2012
I love that they kept the reference to Tsuburaya in there. It really fits well with Sakuma. Next episode is going to have so much good characterization between Sakuma and Peco
May 8, 2014 5:28 PM

Jun 2012
What I love about Sports shows like this and Chihayafuru is it's less about the sport and more about the interesting characters who play it. Don't get me wrong I like me some Yowamushi Pedal and Daiya no A but the writing here is just on another level
May 8, 2014 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
Kong learned some Japanese.

Smile owned Akuma so badly.
May 8, 2014 6:37 PM

Apr 2008
Kitoge said:
Dat moment when Smile told Sakuma that he's not good enough because he had no talent...you can always count on Smile to be blunt

I was like: BUUUUURRRRRRRNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!
May 8, 2014 6:49 PM

Nov 2013
FatefulLove said:
Kazuma winning youth olympics??

j0x said:
Mirorin said:

its a parallel universe

it's called modernization
that's the reason why there's a filler scene like kazama's girlfriend.
May 8, 2014 7:00 PM

Nov 2010
galimx said:
good episode again, Ping Pong has more character development in 5 episodes that some animes have in 100+
sad
Quote the guy who said it last page and then said it again on the next.
May 8, 2014 7:00 PM

Jan 2008
Lovin' it!

May 8, 2014 7:15 PM
Mar 2012
Ouch, Akuma got OWNED.
May 8, 2014 7:50 PM
Apr 2011
That Gintama reference.
May 8, 2014 8:08 PM
May 2014
sayatheblakat said:
That Gintama reference.

Actually, Shinsengumi exists in real Japanese history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinsengumi
May 8, 2014 8:12 PM

Nov 2010
sayatheblakat said:
That Gintama reference.
What lichtjahre said and it's not even like that in Gintama.
May 8, 2014 8:34 PM
Oct 2012
tommy73 said:
It's sad but true; people will have the natural talent and will beat those even who work much harder.

That isn't "true". If "natural talent" always beat "effort", then talent would never have to practice. Outside of the fact that most talent is due to strenuous effort over the course of years, if "talent" always won, then we wouldn't need to have competition. The outcome would be obvious from the beginning.

For most people their definition of "talent" is a tautology: Why do you know they have talent? Because they win. Why do they win? Because they have talent.

The idea that "talent always wins" is a condolence that losers say in order to justify their losing.

Now this isn't to say that there isn't "talent", only that "talent" is merely one fact, an important one of course, but still one of many aspects that goes into winning. If talent were so easy, then the NFL draft wouldn't have so many failures.

Also, for many sports far more important than "talent" is just simple genetics. Basketball players are born big, most football players are born big, some people are naturally coordinated or uncoordinated, but genetics is not a "talent" and is another thing that has no guarantee of success.
May 8, 2014 8:54 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode. Table tennis is such a serious sport.
May 8, 2014 9:01 PM

Oct 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
sayatheblakat said:
That Gintama reference.
Yeah, it was a Gintama reference. If not, it's a HUGE coincidence that they named Kondo, Hijikata, and Okita all within that scene.
May 8, 2014 9:02 PM

Nov 2010
Kondo-Isao said:
IntroverTurtle said:
sayatheblakat said:
That Gintama reference.
Yeah, it was a Gintama reference. If not, it's a HUGE coincidence that they named Kondo, Hijikata, and Okita all within that scene.
Joking? Have you seen the link the guy posted. Those are all real people who existed. If you're a Gintama fan then you'd know, they even mentioned it in the popularity contest episode.
That rule of getting kicked out if you lose is probably from the real Shinsengumi, it wasn't even like that in Gintama(as we saw a couple lose).
May 8, 2014 9:04 PM

Oct 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Kondo-Isao said:
IntroverTurtle said:
sayatheblakat said:
That Gintama reference.
Joking? Have you seen the link the guy posted. Those are all real people who existed. If you're a Gintama fan then you'd know, they even mentioned it in the popularity contest episode.
That rule of getting kicked out if you lose is probably from the real Shinsengumi, it wasn't even like that in Gintama(as we saw a couple lose).
Well holy shit. I didn't actually open the link and now I feel like a jackass. Do ignore me.
May 8, 2014 9:06 PM
Feb 2011
I really like Wenge's story and his character development. I think he's started to mature a lot faster than the other characters. I really feel bad for Wenge since his case is so common among Chinese trainees. His story makes him very endearing as a character and I can't help, but root for him.

The route Peco's taking is definitely unfortunate, but I've seen many accounts of his situation and it really is a shame.

Even though people may not agree with how Smile did it, someone had to tell it to Akuma straight.

I feel like all the characters in this anime (maybe with the exception of Wenge) all lack true passion for the sport and imo that's actually fairly important. To me, Smile's only really taking this seriously to see where he can go and because he's good at it/people pressuring him. Smile's a case of someone talented that's also a hard-worker and that combo is definitely hard to top. Peco is the perfect example of talent with absolutely zero work ethic/no hard work. He's just been cruising through life not really knowing the concept of hard work and it's finally come back to bite his ass. And Akuma is obviously the hard-worker that just doesn't have that special something. He just doesn't have the aptitude or natural talent for TT.

I don't think people should take this as talent > effort/hard work all the time, but you honestly cannot surpass someone with talent + hard work + the passion for whatever they are doing. Hard work definitely takes you places, but people really need to know their limits and embrace/work with it without being delusional about their abilities. Being in denial really just adds to someone's insecurities and I think that's why Akuma is the way he is now.

Also the Youth Olympics thing or whatever, that's just to keep the show current. If you read the manga it's still best of 3 up to 21. In the anime it's best of 5 up to 11.
L2May 8, 2014 9:22 PM
May 8, 2014 9:06 PM

Nov 2010
Kondo-Isao said:
Well holy shit. I didn't actually open the link and now I feel like a jackass. Do ignore me.
It's cool as long as you know now.
May 8, 2014 9:10 PM
Oct 2012
Kondo-Isao said:

It's ironic how those who feel like a jackass never are one, while those who never feel like one always are.
May 8, 2014 9:20 PM

Mar 2013
The characters are really changing and becoming likeable. Compared to the first episode, there's such a huge change in everyone. Wenge and Smile are my favorites, but I like all the characters.
May 8, 2014 9:22 PM
Oct 2012
L2 said:
Ibut you honestly cannot surpass someone with talent + hard work + the passion for whatever they are doing.

Sure you can, they can have some physical trait that is a handicap. A midget basketball player can have talent + hard work + passion but that wouldn't overcome my ability to block most of his shots or shoot over him despite my not having talent, work ethic or passion for the sport.

Or their hard work and passion can cause an injury.

Or they can be an idiot and you can use strategy to beat them.

Or they can just have horrible luck. Imagine a great player being drafted by a horrific team.

Of course the more things you add the more likely they are to succeed, but that is because you are listing key elements to success in general.
May 8, 2014 9:23 PM

Jul 2009
I was really hoping that in this episode that Peco would train to get stronger. Seeing how last episode Akuma showed him where his skills in TT really are, hope him throwing his paddle doesnt really mean the end for him. D:

The way that Kazama told the public how he felt about Kaio's current condition really shocked me, thought he would have more love for his team. I guess all he cares about is Kaio being on top
May 8, 2014 9:28 PM
Feb 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
L2 said:
Ibut you honestly cannot surpass someone with talent + hard work + the passion for whatever they are doing.

Sure you can, they can have some physical trait that is a handicap. A midget basketball player can have talent + hard work + passion but that wouldn't overcome my ability to block most of his shots or shoot over him despite my not having talent, work ethic or passion for the sport.

Or their hard work and passion can cause an injury.

Or they can be an idiot and you can use strategy to beat them.

Or they can just have horrible luck. Imagine a great player being drafted by a horrific team.

Of course the more things you add the more likely they are to succeed, but that is because you are listing key elements to success in general.

I guess what I meant for talent was all-encompassing. In basketball what I mean by "talent" I mean basketball IQ, court vision, natural offensive/defensive ability etc. The physical traits is very true, but in the specific case you use, the mismatch between tall and short could work in the "talented" little guy's favour by simply crossing the big dude up getting to the hole, fading, etc. Also, you honestly can't predict injury, being blackballed or other complications, but I guess what I mean is all else equal then the things I listed can't really be topped. MJ being drafted by a shitty team didn't stop him from becoming GOAT and also that's a team sport and no one wins alone in basketball, which is sadly the perception and view held by a majority of sports fans that are fans of team sports.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

395 by Gojo_Sensai12 »»
Feb 18, 3:13 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2014

140 by SHS13 »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.