Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 10, 2011 8:49 AM
Nov 2009
YoruichiS2 said:
D: Sucks for Cal.

cheto said:
It was a very good episode. I would've liked a happy ending for Cal, but oh well can't have everything xD.

this :(
Mar 17, 2012 12:20 AM

Sep 2011
I wish he would have just told her to the truth about the incident. Weather or not she believes him or not, it wouldn't matter because one of them is going to be dead by the end of that sequence regardless.
Apr 5, 2012 7:00 AM

Dec 2011
It is a sad episode.
I wonder if Cal would shoot cuz she loves Reiji.
Apr 8, 2012 6:41 PM

Mar 2011
This series would have gotten a 9/10 from me but since called died, immediately goes to 8/10
Apr 15, 2012 8:58 AM

Dec 2007
A great episode. I can't wait to see what Scythe master's minions are going to do in the next episode.
May 12, 2012 11:57 AM

Mar 2012
Wow, Cal was my favorite character and they just wrote her off the show like that... Was expecting a happy ending for her, at least. Nevertheless, this episode was wonderful.

However, I really didn't understand the vision Reiji had when him and Cal were still in LA and in a car. Explanations would be nice XD
May 22, 2012 10:28 AM

Jul 2008
otakuthon said:
Wow, Cal was my favorite character and they just wrote her off the show like that... Was expecting a happy ending for her, at least. Nevertheless, this episode was wonderful.

What can you do, they were animating Elen's ending from the Visual Novel instead of Mio's or Cal's (Cal only dies in Elen's ending)

otakuthon said:
However, I really didn't understand the vision Reiji had when him and Cal were still in LA and in a car. Explanations would be nice XD

He or/and Cal were imagining how it could have been if Reiji returned to the apartment and found Cal (in the game, should Reiji find Cal after the apartment is destroyed, you get the ending where he and Cal start traveling the USA, running from Inferno and their Phantom Ein... tough it might also be an Easter Egg for Cal's True End).

You can see other endings from the game here
NayraelMay 22, 2012 10:31 AM
Jul 10, 2012 2:59 PM

Nov 2007
noooooo Cal. I think I cried.

I really wish they could have solved that without her dying.

man Reji has been through a lot at this point.

all that's left is for Scythe to FINALLY DIE. come on Reji become the badass one last time.

I guess they'll leave McGuire and the rest of Phantom behind. Surprised he never played a bigger role .
Jul 28, 2012 11:38 PM

Aug 2010
Cal... I cried when she died.

This episode was pretty much the finale for me.

But seriously, couldn't Ryuji have just shot her hand or something? He didn't have to kill her.
Aug 5, 2012 11:06 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
No happy ending for Cal... This episode made me really sad... :'( Gotta wipe these tears off from my eyes...
Aug 25, 2012 2:49 PM
Jun 2012
reiji had lots of chances to explan to cal about what happened yet he didn't. i was expecting him to do an explanation at least before she died in his arms. that would be even more dramatic and emotional. imagine cal knowing the truth just moments before her last breath.

oh well.
Sep 2, 2012 5:29 PM

Aug 2012
Linkark07 said:
Why Reiji? Why? You could have talked with Cal and convinced her you left her because you thought she died. But no, instead of that you killed her. Cal R.I.P, even after you killed Lizzy.

Yeah, Cal's behaviour was totally realistic ><''

Glad she died at last. She transformed into a brainless oversized boobed girl in two years. Guess she got some braincells burned out during her growth.

She was a nice character as a kid, but as soon as she got oversized boobs she became a stupid girl. With the stupidest reason to kill Reiji I've ever imagined.

What a waste.

Hope Scythe gets tortured in next episode, he deserves it.

Still a nice episode. 5/5

Oct 16, 2012 7:59 AM

Jan 2010
I cried! For Cal! Thinking that I dislike her... but in the end I did cry for her... I can see her "old self" in her last moment... I just dislike her grown up self, I didn't dislike her teen self, so when I see her old self before she died, I shed a tear.... *I never intend to cry when she died...I was even hope her death, but her death is just so sad.... T^T*
Oct 17, 2012 2:37 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
In general I didn't like the Cal character since I thought her entry changed the tone of the show and her subsequent development was too forced. Having said that, her death was pretty moving. I don't think she really wanted to kill Reiji.

I don't understand why Reiji didn't explain to her what had happened after the explosion. At least let her die knowing you cared for her.

I just want Scythemaster to die now.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 20, 2012 10:22 PM

Jul 2012
This episode was the first actual good episode out of this last arc.

I didn't like the part where Ein is able to dodge all the bullets which are shot at her. This also happened a few episodes back with Cal. It's dumb when this show is kind of realistic and all of a sudden they become some kind of bullet dodging god. Maybe the henchmen just were in awe with the girls' beauty or some weird shit, that's the only logical explanation.

Cal's death was kind of sad, I definitely felt pity for her in this episode despite her acting so idiotic. Reiji and Cal are such idiots; they didn't even tell eachother how they felt before the standoff, couldn't they have told each other how much they regret the decisions they made and said to each other how much they love(d) one another. They still didn't tell each other even when Cal was in Reiji's arms, how disappointing.

Reiji will go batshit insane next episode I'm sure about it.
Nov 6, 2012 7:25 PM
Jul 2012
Rip to Cal even i don't really liked her that much.
Great episode.
Hope the final episode will be truly epic.Predict that all of them will die.
5/5
LegendGoldDarkNov 6, 2012 7:28 PM
Jan 6, 2013 5:55 PM

May 2011
Cal Devens.

I don't think I can really rate or discuss this episode. That was... too sad (the overall scene was well done but... I would've preferred a different conclusion). The fact that she died without knowing the truth left a bad taste in my mouth too (why Reiji?). I think I'm just going to play the VN to cure this "void". Cal had so many bad experiences in her life and now even...!!! AH!!!!!

Ah... I guess there's only 1 episode left, let me just watch Scythe die, it might do something for me.
Kayaba-Jan 6, 2013 6:14 PM
Jan 16, 2013 12:32 AM

Nov 2011
Cal died a pretty pathetic death D=. I think it would be awesome if Cal actually missed on purpose but was better. One episode left.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Mar 31, 2013 9:24 AM

Feb 2013
Why did Cal hate Reiji so much and why she forgave him everything at the end?
Apr 24, 2013 10:32 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
There were some lovely discussions in the previous pages, and I read all of them :D I do feel a little bad for Cal dying like that when they could've had a nice talk like what happened between Reiji and Eren and their showdown, but I think Cal's too self-destructive for that. Yes Reiji didn't have to shoot her where she has a high chance of dying, but Cal brought it on herself, telling him to play her game. At this point, I don't believe that Cal would listen to Reiji's explanations anyways. Plus if she didn't die, well, she would be living a pretty harsh life of having to constantly run away from Inferno. After all, she did leave Inferno. Lastly, I agree with some of the people here that there were definitely some contradictions regarding Cal, about how she was introduced as a smart and capable of rationalizing person, and then becoming a hate-filled, irrational killer. SM's manipulations should not, in theory, have made her the way she became. If she was smart and rational, then she wouldn't have listened to a total stranger, not to mention, SM is pretty suspicious looking. Why would he even show up at Reiji's bombed apartment like that so randomly unless he had an ulterior motive? How is that NOT suspicious at all?

I think I felt worse for Reiji when he cried at the end. I feel like no one gives him enough credit for the shit he suffered through (even though yes, he did manipulate and lie to people when he was under Claudia and part of Inferno). Still, he has a lot of guilt and regret piled up inside of him, and then Cal coming back made him feel even worse. He no longer had the will to justify his actions because he believes he is not a good person, similar to when he gave up and allowed Eren to kill him when they fought against each other. Still, I think he chooses to live because of the promise he had with Eren, and he knows that if he dies, Eren will lose her raison d'etre.
Apr 27, 2013 10:32 PM
May 2012
Hated this episode... not because it was bad.. but because it was sad... My favorite girl died:/
Jun 14, 2013 11:48 AM

Jan 2012
Not gonna lie, I shed a tear over Cal's death.
It's not only because she died, but because it could of ended if they had just seen each other after the explosion.
Even if Reiji explained the situation to Cal, I doubt she would believe it. It's when she was dying she realized that she didn't hate Reiji as much as she thought and that she wished she could of lived happily with him like she always wanted. It's sad that some people don't realize their true feelings until they're dying or about to die and Cal was one of those people. :(

I was hoping for her to stay alive, but when I saw her having a "conversation" with people she killed, I knew she was gonna die.
Jul 25, 2013 4:01 PM
Mar 2013
Shoot a non-f-ing- fatal area you c--sucking piece of s-y scum Reiji.
addictoholicMar 29, 2014 7:33 PM
Nov 4, 2013 5:39 AM
Nov 2013
5/5...Cried when Cal lay there dying speaking her last words and showing that she is still human...her confessing that she was happy to see Reiji was just too much for me...Why must it take so much just to show your true feelings....T_T
Dec 28, 2013 9:46 PM
Nov 2013
Well, that was better than expected. Too bad everything leading up to it was so nonsensically stupid. Seems to be a pattern in this series. Arc 1: great build up to a terrible conclusion. Arc 2: Ok all around. Arc 3: Terrible build up to a great conclusion. Or what would have been a great conclusion if they hadn't completely destroyed any feelings you had for any of the characters in the build-up. I can tell this would have been really effective if I still cared about Reiji, or Eren, or Cal. But i don't.
Jan 8, 2014 6:16 AM

Oct 2013
-Shuda- said:
Cal Devens.

I don't think I can really rate or discuss this episode. That was... too sad (the overall scene was well done but... I would've preferred a different conclusion). The fact that she died without knowing the truth left a bad taste in my mouth too (why Reiji?). I think I'm just going to play the VN to cure this "void". Cal had so many bad experiences in her life and now even...!!! AH!!!!!

Ah... I guess there's only 1 episode left, let me just watch Scythe die, it might do something for me.

^That. Reiji should have told her first, at least. :(
Jan 23, 2014 6:08 PM

Aug 2013
So as I thought, there was no way for Cal to survive.

The car scene was really beautiful. What would have happened if he didn't miss her at the appartment? Maybe they would have been happy the three of them...

Now it's time for the final showdown. There ain't happy ending for assassin.
minouneetzoeJan 23, 2014 6:32 PM
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 28, 2014 6:55 PM

Jul 2013
how fucked up can this anime be... this used to be great and now everything is just ridiculous... Cal died without even knowing the truth... and Reiji killed her without saying anything about what really happened.

and what's really annoying?? is that how Cal hated Reiji for just leaving her... yeah I will hunt Reiji to the ends of the universe just because he didn't fulfill his promise..if I have the same logic as her I might've killed countless people already.
Jan 29, 2014 2:41 PM

Oct 2012
NOOOOOOO, Caaal! :/

That was very very sad end for her... Even though they show her true end in advance. She deserved the second chance too.. oh, well. I guess there was no other way after what she did before. But still... it tears my very soul to watch this, knowing that those character won't have their happy endings. An assassins don't deserve a peace, I guess.

Let me see you smile for the last time.
Mar 10, 2014 3:03 PM

Jan 2014
im so dissapointed, i was really kinda hoping for love-reunion kinda thing between him and Cal
Zapraszam POLSKOJĘZYCZNYCH - www.payhip.com/KacperAlgierskiTalesPL
K A T - Legenda Zza Światów - wstęp:
W dawnych czasach, które już niemal całkowicie przeminęły, magia i posługujące się nią istoty,
a także zaklęte stwory i złowrogie, nieokiełznane bestie
zamieszkiwały Zza Światy, pomiędzy którymi można było odbywać podróże.
Wiedza na ten temat była jednak przekazywana wyłącznie nielicznym wybrańcom.
Wielcy bohaterzy musieli stawać do walki ze złem, w obronie dobra,
by przezwyciężyć zagrażające równowadze mroczne widmo ciemności i chaosu
i zaprowadzić niezbędny wszem wobec praworządny ład i porządek.
Oto legenda jednego z nich…
Mar 31, 2014 4:59 PM

May 2012
In the end I'm still sad that Cal had to go that way and die but at least she died by the right hands... Pretty nice development and I really wonder what the final episode will offer us!
Apr 21, 2014 2:44 AM

Aug 2013
Thing could have just ended happily... but they just had to do it.
CALLLLLL.... this is too much.... whyyyyy....... :'0
Kill.. kill.. kill all those basterds Reiji !! Damn they ruined a pure little innocent girl's life.
Argh.. so emotional.. can't keep it in.
Well it's finally the end and good riddance to this anime. gosh.
May 9, 2014 2:23 PM

Jul 2013
So Cal finally died. Was a pretty pointless death. Why couldn't they have just made up?

Now Scythe has finally shown up. I really hope he dies and Reiji and Eren escape though I doubt we'll see a nice ending. I can dream right?
Jul 10, 2014 10:00 PM

Oct 2013
Really not enjoying this show anymore
Finally the real problem arises after they kill each other
gimme a break HOW IS this rated higher than an 8?????
disliked this episode well the hole arc in general
SO they "kill" cal we all new she wasn't dead but reji didnt know about it
bring her back jsut to have him kill her
fucking stupid
[/quote]
Jul 11, 2014 4:23 AM
Jun 2009
Cal was an awesome character but they really ruined her as the show went on. Dusty Trails ending from the VN is absolutely the best ending and they really should have incorporated it into the anime. They could easily change a few things to make it more complete.

Anime ending just was not satisfying and really missed the mark in regards to the theme of getting back what was lost. It was a nonsensical conclusion and overall they completely fucked up a massive homerun in storytelling by delivering an abysmal last few episodes.

Cal/Elen/Reiji were not stupid but they were stripped of any semblance of intelligence by the powers in charge. Cal had one of the dumbest deaths in anime history.
Oct 8, 2014 5:11 PM

Apr 2013
This is a message to Cal from Reiji in the words of the great Chris Tucker from Rush Hour 2. "We could have been a good couple, we could have had something special, but you're one crazy-ass bitch!"

dankzelOct 9, 2014 11:27 AM
Feb 9, 2015 2:35 AM
Aug 2014
So was I suddenly supposed to symphatize with the crazy psycho Cal after this episode and be sad that she died. Sorry, but with such poor characterization and such forced plot mechanics, that's just not possible.
Feb 18, 2015 9:13 AM

Aug 2012
Such feels...that alternative setting ... poor Cal :(.
Apr 12, 2015 7:30 AM

Oct 2013
Why was Cal there in the first place if they'll kill her off anyway?...the story could have progressed without her very fine...she was just ...there! Nothing else. Obviously just for Zweis characteerdevelopment but still to me an unnecessary character. This anime had so much capability....
<3
Jun 13, 2015 5:18 PM

Aug 2008
I'm rather disappointed, its like Reiji abandoned her all over again. The only solution was to shoot her? Ridiculous, especially after your little promise to save her to Mio, unless you are taking the "we had to destroy the village to save it" tactic, or in this case "I had to kill her to save her". She was swayable I think, you didn't even bother trying to convince her you didn't abandon her at all... but really this is the writers trying to force sympathy onto Cal and doing a bad job of it. Really frustrating, this show was better before the time skip.
Jun 24, 2015 10:22 PM

Jul 2014
Cal's death and the whole ordeal is pretty stupid...sorry to say :/ tha fuck Reiji?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2016 7:39 AM

Sep 2015
The most inconsistent character of this show has died...

Oh, and master Scythe apparently will end being the best character of this whole series hehehe
Jan 28, 2016 1:06 PM

Aug 2013
And So Cal died for nothing. I just started to like her... damn you Reiji
Aug 13, 2016 12:28 AM

Jul 2008
Cal YOU IDIOT!!!!!

I have characters like this, they do all this shit then go I just wanted to be with you at the end...you didn't HAVE to do any of this shit and Reiji would have understood.

SMH...
Apr 2, 2017 8:29 AM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

Bye bye Cal. You got Reiji all to yourself "at the end".

Ein is bulletproof too.
Jul 30, 2017 8:53 AM

May 2015
Zwei just kill his loli. Finally! Never go full-lolicon!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 22, 2018 12:26 PM
Dec 2017
How can the author be so selfish to put such a f***ing endig like this for a girl that was innocet in past and made her a monster wihthout any acceptable reason...
My question is why cal should be so badly angry because of just guessing that she was abadoned by reiji?and why reiji didin't say that he thought cal is dead?and do not making such a tragedy like this?
The author is such a psychotic and sadist person...
this ending sucks...
I am sorry for the creator...damn them...damn damn damn...
Apr 17, 2018 11:14 AM

Aug 2014
What a fucking stupid end to Cal! Man, this is some serious bullshit. OUt of all the scenarios that could have happened, the only solution would be to kill Cal? It's like Reiji abandoned her all over again. I just don't understand it. Cal's arc was handled very badly. Things just did not make any sense. This was the only possible conclusion?

This ending for Cal sucks balls and makes no sense. I fucking hate this show. The only way to redeem it would be to have Reiji and Elen die, too. Cal does not deserve to die all alone like this.
Apr 24, 2018 3:08 PM

May 2016
R.I.P Cal I definitely thought they would create a situation to fight the others with Elein.
May 2, 2018 6:51 PM
May 2017
Did they really have to kill Cal? Like why can't Reiji do his charms like what he did to Eren. Also the quick draw scene, like out of the phantoms none of them would die so quickly with one bullet wound. Sucks...
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 24, 2009

628 by __FK__ »»
Apr 15, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikiyo - Apr 3, 2009

171 by defaulticus »»
Mar 17, 3:51 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ckam - Jul 20, 2009

71 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.