Forum Settings
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 23, 2014 2:56 AM

Jan 2014
neh, I would prefer an epilogue, if the author does plan one, the final chapter was about Nakamura's point of view...i'm not satisfied...!!

epilogue please!!
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

May 23, 2014 5:49 AM

Mar 2013
This manga is worth a re-read, as the last chapter seemed to me like the last piece of a puzzle. Being this a story where most of what's happening over the characters' heads (aside from Kasuga) goes for the most part unsaid, to get a little glimpse of Nakamura's mind must be necessary to have a better understanding of her actions through the story instead of seeing her as a plain psychotic school girl. She remained the most complex character to the very end.
May 23, 2014 10:06 PM

Nov 2013
Aww.. Yes I also agree with what the other user said.
Nakamura probably saw Kasuga as her last hope to stay as a "pervert", but I guess... around the festival part, before they were about to suicide, she realizes she will always be alone no matter what.

But do people here actually thought Nakamura loved Kasuga back..?
I'm sure she liked him back, but doesn't completely show it or acknowledge that she is in love because she didn't want to "be like the other shitheads".
Perhaps this has to do with the relationship of her parents... Her parents are probably divorced and had very destructive relationship. Even her father said Nakamura is just like her mother.

That makes me wonder if that is why she pushed him during the festival. Perhaps she felt pity or thought of his "happiness".
She knows Kasuga will have a better life as a "normal" person.
I'm convinced this is so because even she pushed Kasuga during their second meeting and told him to go away (with Aya) because he is normal.

Overall, I feel bittersweet about the ending. I also agree that chapter 56(?) or 55 was the actual ending and the chapters after them were the specials or chapter 0.
I feel like it could be longer.... Too many unanswered questions that are killing me..

I'm still happy that Kasuga ended up with Tokiwa. He dealt with enough crap in his life.
But I can't help feeling so sad for Nakamura......
May 25, 2014 11:15 AM
May 2012
Ohhh.......so.......that's it, huh.
Mangafox said that last chapter is 57, but it's written here in MAL that there are 58 chapters, so I thought that after reading chapter 57 on Mangafox, next will be chapter 58, but then nothing happened, it ended. Chapter 57 surprised me and to think that there is really no chapter 58 even surprised me!
Well, I think the story ended on chapter 56. This chapter 57 is just......I don't know how to say it.
That dream, if that was really a dream, that would be their future.....and I think that's fine, and it's fine with me too. I guess all is well, huh.
I don't know why but my mind is right now just blank, it's like it stopped thinking about Aku no Hana. I don't want to create theories or something like that. I'll just believe that the story ended on chapter 56, and I think it is.
I did enjoy this Manga, it is something, the author is something. The author made the ending like that because that is what he wants, and that's cool with me, though I would have loved if he did the ending "normal". Thank you ^^ I think I should sleep after a few minutes.
May 26, 2014 7:08 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hmm like many people here, I don't know what to think either. Except that this definitely just felt like an omake that allowed us to see the world through Nakamura's eyes, as well as offering an explanation as to why she was how she was. Other than that, it was definitely an interesting ride, and I'm also surprised to learn that this was like an autobiography of the author? The interview was quite informative regarding the author's intentions and what he wanted to convey through his manga. I also enjoyed browsing through the comments to see what others got out of Aku no Hana.

Still, it was quite a confusing manga, and I believe the majority of the people most likely did not see the same thing the author wanted his readers to see, which in a way, is a failure. The author shouldn't have to explain so much for us to understand what he was trying to get at, at least that's what I think. Of course, it could also just be that many of us aren't willing to take the time to dissect his work. However, after piecing together my own thoughts with the author's intentions, I am able to appreciate his work more than I did before. I'll re-read it one day just so I can keep in mind the themes the author wanted to convey as I am reading it.
May 26, 2014 10:02 PM

Jun 2013
MegaUltraTom said:
If you need everything spelled out for you and dislike subtlety, I can understand why someone would hate this ending and this series as a result. For me Aku no Hana is complete. There are no lose-strings.

This ending finally let's us look into Nakamura's mind. She really was "hentai" (perverse), she was lonely, she had demons. You could easily infer she may even have had psychological disorders (delusional, schizophrenic). Based on Chp 53, her mom mentioning she's been calm lately, and considering her poor memory, her preoccupation with the Sun, it's not a stretch to believe she was on anti-psychotic meds.

Kasuga was weird and Nakamura realized that. She thought maybe Kasuga could would be able to understand her, her feelings of disgust at the world, her loneliness, what she was going through with that voice inside her saying "I want out". She wanted him to "tear down his walls", to embrace what she thought they both were. Kasuga was in love with Nakamura and wanted to help her get "to the other side of the mountain", which he thought a public suicide would accomplish. However he just wasn't at her level. She realized no one will able to understand her, not even Kasuga.

In the end, Nakamura couldn't make the world as she wanted it, so she had to adapt and become normal. Kasuga on the other hand really matures and we're encouraged to assume he get's a grip on living a fulfilling life.

^ Very well put. I'm not one for serious analysis, but your explanation resonates with me.

When the anime was first announced, I got curious. I read the first chapter... and then proceed to read all the available material all through a single night and into the early morning. Been following ever since, and now it's finally come to a close. The first half was absolutely spectacular, and I think the second half held it's own. Glad to see where Kasuga has gone since that first chapter, and it was just the right amount of closure in the end.
-Trippwire-May 26, 2014 10:11 PM
May 27, 2014 5:30 AM

Jul 2013
nakoruru66 said:

I'd like to think that Kasuga, in chapter 56, when he wakes up of his dream, takes a pencil and he is about, not to write, because he has never been able to, he is starting to draw (yes, to draw) because he is holding a pencil.

He is about to draw the story of why nakamura acted like she did, trying to solve his own questions (because nakamura never solved his questions) and trying to give sense to all the things they lived.

that's an interesting idea, would fit into the fact that the author says it's an autobiography...

lots of interesting posts, I think I'm in the same boat as the people who don't know what to think, need more time to digest the epilogue, probably going to read it all again and look into the life of Baudelaire before a definitive verdict.
May 27, 2014 6:01 AM

Aug 2013
Is that really the end? MAL wrote that 58 is the finishing chapter, right? :/
It's good though, somehow I like it when it represent the past event by different point of view.
*insert philosophical quote here*
May 27, 2014 5:15 PM

Mar 2013
hublaa said:
It's good though, somehow I like it when it represent the past event by different point of view.

I thought of it too, but then I remember there was a special chapter, 17.5. MAL is probably taking it into account in the chapter count.
May 30, 2014 9:57 AM

Jul 2013
At first glance, the chapter was mehhh... After giving it a second thought, I found it amazing

I will consider chapter 56 as the epilogue with the dream section being the characters' actual futures.
This last chapter tried to prove that what Nakamura perceives as perverted isn't the same with Kasuga's point of view. I liked the theory that Nakamura suffers from schizophrenia and the dementia element in this chapter kinda justifies it. After some time, Nakamura realised that she and Kasuga are different and tried not to drag Kasuga with her since he, as a healthy person has the ability to live a normal life. Probably that's why she told him: "Don't come back. You are a normal person" and pushed him in the festival.

^ At least that's my opinion and I'm glad that such a manga has put me into these thoughts rather than not having any mystery, thrill and questions at all
NaughtyNoddyMay 30, 2014 10:06 AM
May 30, 2014 8:59 PM

Aug 2013
Artsy said:
hublaa said:

I thought of it too, but then I remember there was a special chapter, 17.5. MAL is probably taking it into account in the chapter count.
well, I call it completed then.

The same thing is going on TWGOK manga, MAL wrote the final chapter was 271 when the final chapter is 268 :/
*insert philosophical quote here*
May 31, 2014 2:35 PM

Dec 2011
Welp, it was an 8/10 up through the first acts of the story, but sort of on a downward decline after that. I think I understand parts of what the author wanted to say and do with this, but I just don't think the ending act was executed well at all. It was, nonetheless, cool to see things from Nakamura's point of view. But I'm really thinking the author just didn't know how to end his own story properly, and that's why it ended up like this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 2014 4:37 PM
Dec 2013
LayedBack said:
Welp, it was an 8/10 up through the first acts of the story, but sort of on a downward decline after that. I think I understand parts of what the author wanted to say and do with this, but I just don't think the ending act was executed well at all. It was, nonetheless, cool to see things from Nakamura's point of view. But I'm really thinking the author just didn't know how to end his own story properly, and that's why it ended up like this.

I do think he's a good writer though, and I found this ending quite good.
He understands that you have to involve your audience in the story to keep them interested in the characters, and to make them associate their own experiences with it.
The best way to do this is of course by leaving out information, so the audience can speculate.
This will make them think about a similar situation that they were in, which will keep them interested.
He executed this very well in my opinion.
May 31, 2014 10:33 PM

Jan 2014
This better not be the fucking ending lol.
May 31, 2014 11:59 PM

Sep 2011
DoctorWasabi said:

Well, it is.
Jun 1, 2014 1:01 PM

May 2007
So I finished the anime around 1:30pm (I started it about 6am...went out for 2 hours before resuming) and immediately after that I started reading the manga (took a break when I got to chapter 34 to play my 360 for a tiny bit) and just finished it.

It would be nice to see a 2nd season but I've heard that the DVD and Blu-Ray sales for season 1 wasn't very good....is this true though?

So after finishing the manga, chapter 56 deals with Kasuga having a dream after having sex with Aya, where it depicts his future desires and hopes everyone else gets a happy ending with Sawa potentially getting her whole family back, Saeki and Kinoshita reuniting, I think there's one for Saeki having a family...not sure who it was on chapter 56 page 15. However, he wakes up and realises he's still at university and is still going out with Aya, who's great.

The final chapter showed us how Sawa saw her world at that time and the whole "other side" thing was probably her way of saying she wants to live with her mother rather than her father as the town she ends up moving to can be read as "the other side".

After finishing that manga, I felt a little empty beacuse even though it was bittersweet...it did sting a little but it really was an incredible read. I'm so glad I just decided to just do it....I had been holding off it for a while because the anime was retro-scoped, which I ended up not being bothered by it and in a weird way I appreciated it.

I gave both the anime and manga a 10/10
Jun 1, 2014 1:59 PM

Jan 2008
Ale1212 said:
DoctorWasabi said:

Well, it is.

Yup. No loose ends here. The author even gave you a glimpse into what the "future" is like for the characters. Infer all you want, but I'm pretty sure this is all that you're going to be hearing officially about this one. Perhaps they'll twist things around in the anime, but I won't be going down that road anytime soon. Strange stuff be strange, but in all a good, creative, twisted story.

Jun 2, 2014 1:24 AM

Dec 2010
ravagestorm said:
Chapter 55 is the real ending. chapter 56 and 57 are just epilogues for Kasuga and Nakamura.

Anyway it is a shame the anime sucked so bad. If it was handled by a decent and NOT SELFISH director then the show could have been a cult classic. I bet we will be seeing Nakamura figmas if they only used the original art style from the manga. *sigh...So much potential and it's wasted by a selfish director.

Agree, is very sad the anime was a crap, but fortunately the manga still better. For me the true end in when they get separated after the festival and the tentative suicide, after that part the rest seems more a pace filler toward a sorta of resolution and habby ending.

Overall a good serie, 8/10.
Fn76Jun 2, 2014 1:28 AM
Jun 5, 2014 1:07 AM
May 2013
I just finished this, and woah. This manga was really great, and the ending was beautifully executed. Adding Nakamura's view was key to understanding the whole story, but I'm still wondering as to why the author put it at the end... I was thinking that if it where put before the first chapter, it would make things easier to understand, yes, but then the story won't be as interesting and dark...

I'm really glad for the speculations and interpretations that we thought about and shared (the dream, Nakamura, etc.) becuase they show how good of a work this is. Being able to create something like this is not easy (speaking as a writer myself), and I'm not sure why some said that he didn't known how to end his story??!! Sorry this really bugged me, and I respect your opinons, but if the author wrote this ending, he knew what he had in mind, and so he did it. I'm not going to argue further, but yeah.

Overall, a great manga!
Jun 12, 2014 6:46 AM

May 2013
I'm probably going to repeat what a lot of people already wrote here but I'm not going to bother reading everything. I'm just going to write my thoughts after finishing it last night.

chapter 56 the end
chapter 57 epilogue

In chapter 56 you see how the Flower once again grows inside Kasuga which you can see because how his crazy eyes. Then he starts to write again for Nakamaru. Why for her? Well in the past Kasuga was only able to write when he was 1. possesed by the Flower and 2. if it was to make Nakamaru "happy"

Now to chapter 57 you see the beginning from Nakamarus perspective. This is kind of weird but the author is showing us the future through the past in a way because you see how she meets him for the first time and realises how he is a Hentai. This brought a bit of balance her severe mental problems I think, because she has someone who is just like herself.

What I'm trying to say is that I think Kasuga is writing for Nakamaru to awaken the Flower in her once again.

Not sure if this makes sense, I'm not an native english speaker but whatever.

I give Aku No Hana 9/10
Jun 15, 2014 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
yeah, i wasnt a fan of the ending; a little too open-ended for me and the "dream sequence" chpt kept things way too ambiguous.

still a 9/10 manga to me because the first half was epic with how things developed
Jul 8, 2014 3:03 PM

Aug 2013
Well that was a nice ride. The middle part got kinda boring but it picked up near the end. The ending was sort of ambiguous, but I liked the whole dream sequence where Kasuga dreamt a perfect life while still being haunted by the flower of evil; he wants to write for Nakamura. I wish we got to learn more about Nakamura though, but it was an alright ending, and I'm not even that keen on open endings. That extra chapter from her perspective was cool, though. Shows how distorted her reality actually was, and how she must've felt when she finally met Kasuga who she thought would understand. It also hints that she must've suffered from multiple mental disorders, and that she probably was on a shit ton of meds when they met her at the restaurant (her mother mentions how calm she had been lately).

So yeah, those were my hastily written thoughts. Nice manga. 8/10.
MoogJul 8, 2014 3:07 PM
Jul 13, 2014 3:22 PM
Mar 2011
Couldn't ask for a better ending. Author finally got out of that shit that was Part 2 and brought the kind of ending that was needed.
Jul 14, 2014 10:58 AM

Jan 2013
Great manga ... But damn I can't forgive the autor for what he did to Saeki ( even though I get the message he wanted to convey etc ....)
Jul 15, 2014 3:40 PM

Jan 2011
As long as he stays with the damn fine Aya, I don't mind whatever he awakens.

But yeah, weird ending.
Jul 23, 2014 5:01 PM

Apr 2011
I'm confused.
Is there a chapter 58 after all?
Jul 29, 2014 7:11 PM

Mar 2012
So she was tripping balls this entire time and wanted to suicide until she found the poor kid on the bike.
Aug 24, 2014 12:22 PM

Jan 2013
Nice closing. Showing Nakamura's perspective.
Sep 2, 2014 11:22 PM
Sep 2014
I'm pretty late to the party but I just finished the Manga up a few hours ago and I'm still trying to digest everything.

This entire story has got to be the most captivating Manga I have read, and Nakamura one of the most interesting characters presenting. That last chapter was very eiree, very very eiree seeing her perspective.

I think I'm going to have to look over the "dream" sequence a few more times to really get my thoughts on it, but I'm glad I've read several analysis of it in this thread, that will help me out a bit.

Overall, this manga is a solid 9/10 for me.

My only complaints are leaving Nakamura out for much of the 2nd half of the series and I think they could of explored Saeki's new life a bit more. We saw she still hates Kasuga and still alittle whacky, but somehow I expected more of her past 3 years explained and a few more scenes with Kasuga.

Also, I'm kind of frustrated that we still don't understand Nakaruma's motivations and what her real emotions were for Kasuga. Did she love him? Only used him as a toy for her amusement? At times it seemed like either one could be true. Back in middle school, I always wondered if Kasuga acted more like a man than as Nakamuras pet, if she would of gave in to her feelings for Kasuga (if she had them at all...). I could see some alternate storyline where he mans up and takes her as his actually girlfriend and they start to act relatively normal from not being alone anymore.
Sep 2, 2014 11:53 PM
Sep 2014
Also, who else absolutely loved the scene were Kasuga confessed to Tokiwa? The entire build up to it to the confession itself. I was floored.
Sep 3, 2014 5:51 PM

Aug 2008
I admit to not caring for the second half as much as the first but it was overall an entertaining read.

I am confused why MAL is saying there are 58 chapters, is this an error?
Oct 15, 2014 6:10 PM

Feb 2014
gswelcome said:
I am confused why MAL is saying there are 58 chapters, is this an error?

It's because MAL can't consider ".5" chapters, so they always add a full one instead.

example: Chapters 1, 2 and 2.5
MAL considers as ch. 1, 2 and 3.
Nov 15, 2014 11:55 AM
Jul 2012
A terribly sad ending, at least for Nakamura, I think.

One of the things I really liked about the story was that it wasn't necessary to believe that the characters were seriously mentally ill, or possessed by demons, or impossible to understand. In fact, they struck me as very ordinary people who just weren't able to express themselves very well and ended up doing crazy-seeming stuff in order to cope with repression, frustration, loneliness, and the social pressure to keep all that stuff invisible. I thought they were pretty easy to understand, and I thought it seemed possible that they could reach one another and help one another.

But the ending just kind of makes Nakamura into a vortex of craziness. The scenes that are drawn from her perspective really suggest mental illness, and the scenes with her on the beach suggest that she's erased herself just to continue existing--that all that interior stuff has been medicated away or even more deeply repressed. I really liked Nakamura and I wanted something better for her.

In any case, I thought this was really, really good, both in print and in animated form. Very glad to have come across it and given it a chance.
Dec 3, 2014 11:20 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I loved the ending. Things come full circle and start again from another viewpoint. Seeing things for a moment through Nakamura's lens is an emotional punch to the stomach too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 15, 2015 5:54 AM

Dec 2014
The ending kind of freaked me out ... i wish i hadnt read this chapter ( ._. ) That being said this was one of the most unique story i have read so far . Definitely worth the time. 9/10
There’s no hope on the battlefield.
It has nothing but unspeakable despair.
Just a crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated.
Yet humanity has never recognized this truth.
And the reason for that is, in every era,
a dazzling hero has blinded people with their legends and prevented them from seeing the evil of bloodshed.
The true nature of humanity has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age!
Jan 19, 2015 5:38 PM
Apr 2013
56/57
People keep saying that it doesn't make sense, it's a cop-out, etc. It makes perfect sense and properly concludes the series. While I think the whole "ending turns out to be a dream" thing could have had much better execution, it works.

56 is pretty simple; it's him reflecting on his life, who he is, what his future will be. It's basically the culmination of everything that has happened to him in the series. He came to terms with himself, the people in his life, and the world around him. Especially judging by that interview bit that one guy posted, it was the intended conclusion. It's "what he wanted to write about", so to speak.

57 is equally simple; it's finally getting a look into Nakamura's mind. It's what we were asking for the whole series. The argument of metaphorical vs. literal, I think it's both. Someone brought up a very good point, she may likely be on antipsychotics now. She was lost, bitter, lonely, despairing, and maybe even angry at the world. She saw the darkness within humanity, a darkness nobody else seemed to see. She felt alone and somewhat victimized, always receiving hostility for expressing herself. She wasn't snapping at or being hostile toward anyone, just having no restraint; she didn't care about what other people thought, so freely spoke her mind. She felt that nobody in the world understood her. The darkness consuming her being literal and figurative, she was afraid of losing herself. One day she found someone else that didn't conform to normality, and she finally had a hope, something she never had before. While her in her excitement her initial reaction was the he was the same as her, she quickly figured that he wasn't. Really, she knew him better than he himself did. She didn't consider him an equal, as has been made quite clear. But she found in him someone she could express herself to, someone who agreed with her, someone she got along with, someone she could like and trust. She finally found a friend. She didn't need to despair anymore, she could finally just be herself. Now, I'm not so sure on the pyre thing, I read that part a long time ago now, so I'm just going purely on vague memory. She didn't really want to die, again she was just expressing herself. It was how she felt, and she got carried away with doing whatever she pleased. She knew he was impressionable and would pretty much follow her no matter the circumstance. She knew he was blind and stupid. Having stood up in front of everyone, proclaiming how she felt, she decided she was done with that plan (for lack of a better way to phrase it). Knowing he would actually go through with it because she had told him to, and that they were pretty much screwed at this point, she kicked him off. I think that she was satisfied at that point, she had done what she wanted to do. Whether or not it was her intention beforehand, I have no idea. At the least, she didn't want to do it alone. I think that afterward, she had gotten it out of her system in a way. She had released all the pent-up thoughts and feelings in her life, and she could start healing. After the incident she 'got help', and after all she had done, and with time and possibly pills, she mellowed out. Not to say she changed at all as a person, but was done being angsty. Kind of went off on a tangent, hope it wasn't too bad. But the chapter gave a lot of context for everything she did, and I think it worked perfectly. An epilogue is the only place that chapter could be, one would need the context of the story to fully understand it.

It's a story about people finding their way in life. Different people, with different viewpoints, different circumstances. How they move on. The first part was the best time in Kagusa and Nakamura's lives; the second part is facing the consequences, how he deals with what happened, and figuring out who he is, figuring out how to live. All the characters have done things they regret, it's a story of how they decide what to do about it. Really, I think that it could have focused on any of the characters.

I know I couldn't very accurately explain what I meant, so I at least hope it makes sense.
Jan 22, 2015 4:44 PM
Jan 2015
So question, then. Is it still implied that Kasuga will marry Tokiwa, or does the ending imply that he can't quite let go of Nakamura and that she still has a chance? Because he still seems to have a bit of an obsession with her, and she appears to be in the city?
Jan 28, 2015 1:01 AM
Feb 2014
I just finished reading this for the second time and I still don't know how I interpret the ending. What becomes of Kasuga? Does he "grow up" and have a new life with Tokiwa? Or does he pursue his obsession with Nakamura? Or does he forgo Nakamura but still allow himself to be obsessed with her, but only to fuel his writing, from a distance?

It is interesting to me that Oshimi stated that if Kasuga were going to be a full-fledged perverted genius, his proper end would have been suicide. I think that might be true. At the same time, it is personally troubling to me because I loved his and Nakamura's antics so much, and I feel as though they were beautiful. In my mind, I know those actions taken to their fullest extremes would result in death.

However, is death the end of the world?

It's interesting for me to think about what Kasuga and Nakamura's goals were in their perverse glory days. At first, they wanted to distinguish themselves from all the disgusting sunflowers with a flower of true "other"-ness--the flower of evil. A bloom of destruction in a society where life is so carefully orchestrated. Did they want it to transcend as individuals, to become beautiful, to set themselves apart from everyone else? Did they do it to spite society, which didn't want to let them make these choices? Did they do it to escape the painful, numbing mediocrity of day-to-day "productive" life?

Or are they pursuing some kind of truth the likes of which cannot even be spoken? Is that the definition of "other"-ness, that it can't be defined like a society can?

However it goes, this manga has given me so much to think about as I try to figure out how I want to express truth as an artist. Perhaps the author did not end the way I would have, but it was his story to tell. I am so grateful to have heard so many different things he had to say. If anyone has any links to further interviews with him, please post or let me know.
Feb 23, 2015 4:19 PM

May 2008
Started reading this after I dropped the horrible anime version. This is million times better! Now we get to know a little more about Nakamura inner madness and I find it really dark and crazy. I hope she will find someone too who can bring her happiness.
Mar 1, 2015 10:56 AM

Oct 2012
Lol. This manga is hilarious. It's really entertaining how the first half expected me to take it seriously. That was so ridiculous. Although, I really appreciate the more toned down resolution. The writer chick came through. Weak last chapter though. It revealed nothing about the blackmailing psycho chick's mentality. But whatevs.
Mar 5, 2015 3:12 PM

Oct 2012
I was thinking of writing a comment about this, but I read the current page and saw Danton's comment, and he expressed the most things I wanted to point out.
The only thing is - I am not sharing the morale of the story opinion, but I will keep it to myself, I guess. Other than that - a near perfect explanation of what people manage to misunderstand in the manga.

And you sure explained it more accurately than most of the other people, so it totally makes sense and no need to doubt yourself there. :)

With manga's end out of the way... overall, I realy enjoyed the first part of the manga much more for some reason. It had that mysterious vibe about it, making you wonder what was going in the characters heads sometimes. The 2nd part is basically explanations and some a little less than casual romance kind of story. No real development from there on.

The manga itself got average art, the characters are well drawn, but background realy suffers.. Where it failed the most though, is probably how many loose points we get - okay, the main 2 characters were explained rather fine.. aya was done not too bad too.

But other than that - there realy lacked an impact on others. After new town things just went completely wrong - there was supposed to be some family drama, that got dropped/axed, fine with me, it's not too important to the story, still a little detail.
Saeki was realy a weird character.. it's simply like author has some certain hate on this type of girls.. Everything she did was just so.. Baseless? Wrong? I don't know how to explain it better really... and in the end she didn't even leave much impact on MC.
There is also Ai, who was too rash on action, which is not too unrealistic, but how she calmly accepted MC afterwards realy didn't suit her character type..

Well, the flaws could flow, but I will end there.. 7/10 from me, It was rather interesting to read, but for it's own reasons, nothing I would totally recommend.
May 16, 2015 10:46 PM

Nov 2012
Seeing things from Nakamura's point of view was interesting I guess.

Though I am rather disappointed with this ending.

Was going to give this an 8/10 but this ending made me lower it to a 7/10.

This did vastly improve however,the first 23-25 chapters were awful imho (4/10 worthy),but the pay off after that was magnificent (8/10 worthy),but then this ending so had to lower to a 7/10.
May 25, 2015 8:01 AM

Jan 2015
This ending was really bad, but overall the manga was great.
Jun 6, 2015 9:54 PM
Jun 2013
I always enjoy it when I find satisfaction and closure in fiction that others do not. Why? I'm not sure, but I'm glad I thought the ending was fine.

I'm probably one of the few who enjoyed the second half far more than the first.
Jun 10, 2015 4:35 PM
Aug 2014
Interesting way to close such a mysterious and profound series, at least the attempt I mean. It did feel as if more chapters focusing on Nakamura's viewpoint wouldn't hurt the quality, and to deliver so little information can be unsatisfactory. This was the intention from the beginning, to equal Baudelaire's Les fleurs du Mal. Remember when Kasuga admitted he didn't understand Baudelaire, he just read it to "be cool and feel different"? You feel that undying need to understand the meaning,the mysteries, the why's, and that, ironically, gives you the understanding needed to keep living. Life doesn't need a deep reason to exist, it needs a question to exist. What can I accomplish in my life? What do I feel accomplished doing, what is my raison de etre?

What makes me scratch my head is that Nakamura was Takao's ultimate goal. He didn't really care about going to the other side of the mountain, he just needed to be in contact with what nakamura represents. Shuuzou said that both her and Tokiwa were based on his wife, and Tokiwa held deeply in her heart the same questions she had, I do believe Takao will be content with Tokiwa, and have a family,but his muse still is Nakamura, and I don't think that gathering was the last they will have in their lives, an omake showing their new relationship as old friends would wrap it up. To reassure he trampled on the flower of evil for good, and that he won't be affected by a new flower of evil.

Still, given the tremendous impact of this sudden (and in my opinion rushed ending, for shock value? Increased philosophical value?) conclusion as it is added some replay value to the story, it was both unsatisfactory and great, and I just love this feeling. Truly a masterpiece, with an open-ended ending. It's okay, not even the guy knows what will happen in that town, no one knows, and that's how it should be. Even though I'll be scratching my head for the next few days.

Also, it's not the ending that makes the piece, it's everything but the ending. If hamlet lived at the end, would ophelia's death have another meaning? Would the grave diggers be doing something different? Probably positive, because I suck at philosophy and these types of comparisons. But, fuuaahh, you got the message. Let's detach ourselves from our egos a bit.
moechintai3Jun 10, 2015 5:03 PM
Jun 16, 2015 11:00 AM
Apr 2011
MaxVdub said:
ravagestorm said:
Chapter 55 is the real ending. chapter 56 and 57 are just epilogues for Kasuga and Nakamura.

Anyway it is a shame the anime sucked so bad. If it was handled by a decent and NOT SELFISH director then the show could have been a cult classic. I bet we will be seeing Nakamura figmas if they only used the original art style from the manga. *sigh...So much potential and it's wasted by a selfish director.

lmao really? you're judging the quality of the anime by whether or not there are figs. jesus christ

honestly the anime is a huge improvement on the manga, it's just lacking in closure right now (and probably forever)

So how does it feel that being a hipster achieved nothing huh? Huge improvement my ass. Where is the second season now? Where is Oshimi Shuuzou being regarded as a genius mangaka now? Because his chance to have the spotlight was stolen from him!!!

Seriously do you think Isayama Hajime will become this big if Shingeki no Kyojin didn't have a decent adaptation?

You hipsters are truly hypocrites that doesn't understand how the world works.
Jul 12, 2015 8:20 PM

Dec 2014
We finally get to see things from Nakamura's point of view. Perfect way to conclude the manga.

In the end, I'd like to think that Kasuga will live on with Tokiwa. The previous chapter gives us a dream sequence in which everyone basically get's their own happy end. Of course that may not be the case in the future, but it certainly is a plausible outcome. We saw that Kasuga becomes a writer as well, however, the one thing that irks me is his driving force behind it. His case of Stockholm syndrome still lingers within and the truth of the matter is that it always will. Either way, this is one fantastic manga. I loved every moment of it.
Jul 16, 2015 3:02 AM

Jun 2014
Nakamura wanting to die from her point of view. I could really sympathise with her. The ending was decent and we see Kasuga has moved on for the better.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 23, 2015 3:56 PM

Jan 2013
The mental pressure/stress from this manga is just too much.

I dont know what rating to give, this will probably be the first and last manga I leave with no rating.
Aug 25, 2015 8:44 AM
Mar 2011
MegaUltraTom said:
If you need everything spelled out for you and dislike subtlety, I can understand why someone would hate this ending and this series as a result. For me Aku no Hana is complete. There are no lose-strings.

This ending finally let's us look into Nakamura's mind. She really was "hentai" (perverse), she was lonely, she had demons. You could easily infer she may even have had psychological disorders (delusional, schizophrenic). Based on Chp 53, her mom mentioning she's been calm lately, and considering her poor memory, her preoccupation with the Sun, it's not a stretch to believe she was on anti-psychotic meds.

Kasuga was weird and Nakamura realized that. She thought maybe Kasuga could would be able to understand her, her feelings of disgust at the world, her loneliness, what she was going through with that voice inside her saying "I want out". She wanted him to "tear down his walls", to embrace what she thought they both were. Kasuga was in love with Nakamura and wanted to help her get "to the other side of the mountain", which he thought a public suicide would accomplish. However he just wasn't at her level. She realized no one will able to understand her, not even Kasuga.

In the end, Nakamura couldn't make the world as she wanted it, so she had to adapt and become normal. Kasuga on the other hand really matures and we're encouraged to assume he get's a grip on living a fulfilling life.

copying and pasting some info from http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/106827773/#106858554

Interview with the author, only available in Chinese.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2388666476

>Both Nakamura and Tokiwa are based on author's wife
>Saeki is supposed to be a "very popular and normal" girl. Author hates this kind of girl the most personally. She is the kind of girl who tries to make everyone likes her. The author wants to ask those who like Saeki "You're not being serious that you actually like this kind of personality, right?"
>Family is an important element in AnK
>Nakamura represents the purest and the most honest form. "If she wants to revolt to the teacher for the sake of it, wouldn't it just be easier to use violence? You see, this alone proves how pure she is "She wasn't trying to be mean when she said "bug". This is how she naturally is.
>Nakamura is not a tsundere
>Hentai is a very special word in AnK, it doesn't mean acts like "stealing panties"
>"If Kasuga really is a genius or pervert, the best ending for him would be suicide, but that wouldn't be what I wanted to write." "If the protagonist didn't perform his ability in his life, what would he become? That's what I wanted to write." Basically the author thought that the first part of AnK was already well expressed in so many literature. The second part of AnK was what he actually wanted to write.
>"Nakamura was very lovely!" when she cried
>Author loves hentai manga. But he wanted to make Nakamura mentally hentai, not physically hentai
>Saeki was a symbol of the mountain, and mountain was a symbol of mother. (Remember both Nakamura and Kasuga wanted to escape the mountain)
>Tokiwa has the same desire as Nakamura deep inside her heart. But the different thing between them is that Tokiwa "accepted the society".
>AnK is a autobiography of the author

Reading this and the helpful review (with explanation on the literature in the manga), seems like author's wife used to be Nakamura, but then became Tokiwa. Author makes this separation because wife is no longer Nakamura. The author still treasures the Nakamura inside his wife, who is his inspiration.

Hentai = deviant dreamer who hates society's chains
graymoontsukiAug 25, 2015 8:48 AM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 46 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KitKatKaz - Jun 6, 2013

82 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 39 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2013

31 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 37 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 2, 2013

31 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:19 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Explicitz - May 14, 2012

85 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 25 Discussion

notsureifsrs - May 14, 2012

38 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 8:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.