Forum Settings
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 4, 2020 2:23 PM
May 2015
That was meant to be a "full circle" ending, but felt more like an added-on story that showcased Nakamura's character.

It's okay, but I think it deserved more time.
May 15, 2020 1:21 PM
Dec 2015
Argh seriously, I felt bad for Saeki the whole time. They’ve messed her up big time.
MC should’ve have died on that summer festival. A complete dickhead like him don’t deserve any of the girls.

I’m so disappointed. I heard great things about this series and this is what i got, maybe I expected too much huh.
-Mochi-May 15, 2020 1:31 PM
Jul 20, 2020 10:18 PM
Nov 2019
I know im superrr late and no one probably checks in here but i'm still going to rant. So, i watched the anime first and i was left without a season 2. So, i went to read the manga since i knew it was finished. Overall, this manga and anime was amazing but disappointing. Why did the manga continue without Sawa? Sawa and Kasuga together were the only things keeping me reading. If this series never included them moving away and never included Aya i think it might've made it better. But them not committing together disappointed me but also gave me hope that more crazy event would happen with Kasuga and Sawa. I was wrong. I was in fact so disappointed i continued from the festival, in my imagination, to make the story what i personally thought would make it better. Ill tell what i made up since i dont want to keep it to myself. I think if they actually went "to the beyond" I think that would be interesting. Honestly if they did ANYTHING else besides separating them it would've been fine. No one wants to see a sweaty anxious boy with no life, sawa and kasuga together is what kept the story good. Continuing the story without sawa was a mistake. everything from chapter 33 and up felt like a whole filler. The whole psychological genre went *poof* after chapter 33. It just became a cheesy love story, which is NOT what made it a good series. It wasn't even enjoyable after they were separated. And having Kasuga and Sawa meet up again when theyre like completely different people? Wtf. WHY WOULD YOU HAVE THEM MEET UP AGAIN WHEN THEY'RE NORMAL???? Not having the suspense of wondering what Sawa and Kasuga are going to do next made the story so bland. Either the author gave up after chapter 33, or was rushed. And to make everything else worse, they didnt even get together in the end. If u read all of this, thanks for listening to me rant.
animeppSep 3, 2020 8:08 PM
Aug 9, 2020 6:28 AM
Jan 2016
idk man not that not satisfied in the ending but it ends too soon man
Oct 1, 2020 1:31 AM

Oct 2010
we never got nakamura's story, why was she crazy and deranged? I remember a scene in the first part when nakamura tells kasuga that all boys want sex and that's it, then we see in this last chapter that dirt/bugs try to come inside her, was she dumped by a boy after sex? who knows. This is my only problem with the manga, that we don't know about nakamura even though we spent 6 volumes with her, I don't care about shipping, I think she was the second focal point of the story after kasuga so we should've got an ending character arc for her, even saeki got a ending and we understood her but not nakamura.
And also, why did she pushed him?

Anyways, it was a good story and I liked kasuga's development, tokiwa was ok, the dumping scene was garbage, you can't do that to your bf but let's end it. Overall 6/10 (the first part 8/10)
Oct 27, 2020 11:28 AM

Jun 2012
animepp said:
I know im superrr late and no one probably checks in here but i'm still going to rant. So, i watched the anime first and i was left without a season 2. So, i went to read the manga since i knew it was finished. Overall, this manga and anime was amazing but disappointing. Why did the manga continue without Sawa? Sawa and Kasuga together were the only things keeping me reading. If this series never included them moving away and never included Aya i think it might've made it better. But them not committing together disappointed me but also gave me hope that more crazy event would happen with Kasuga and Sawa. I was wrong. I was in fact so disappointed i continued from the festival, in my imagination, to make the story what i personally thought would make it better. Ill tell what i made up since i dont want to keep it to myself. I think if they actually went "to the beyond" I think that would be interesting. Honestly if they did ANYTHING else besides separating them it would've been fine. No one wants to see a sweaty anxious boy with no life, sawa and kasuga together is what kept the story good. Continuing the story without sawa was a mistake. everything from chapter 33 and up felt like a whole filler. The whole psychological genre went *poof* after chapter 33. It just became a cheesy love story, which is NOT what made it a good series. It wasn't even enjoyable after they were separated. And having Kasuga and Sawa meet up again when theyre like completely different people? Wtf. WHY WOULD YOU HAVE THEM MEET UP AGAIN WHEN THEY'RE NORMAL???? Not having the suspense of wondering what Sawa and Kasuga are going to do next made the story so bland. Either the author gave up after chapter 33, or was rushed. And to make everything else worse, they didnt even get together in the end. If u read all of this, thanks for listening to me rant.

There have been several articles written about this series, but perhaps the most relevant idea to your post is that the story was always about the author, the author projecting himself onto Kasuga. All other characters in the story are based upon people he actually knew, or at least knew about. They serve to give insight into his own backstory within this story. Many things that Kasuga does are what the author wanted to do in his life, or dreamed of doing, but likely couldn't, or didn't have the stones to do. This series is quite meta, in that respect, but unfortunately Kasuga is just not that interesting, no matter how much the author writes himself into his shoes. Nakamura is the most interesting character for sure, it's just unfortunate that she was never truly defined as a person; perhaps this was by design.
Oct 27, 2020 12:11 PM

Jun 2012
Catalano said:
we never got nakamura's story, why was she crazy and deranged? I remember a scene in the first part when nakamura tells kasuga that all boys want sex and that's it, then we see in this last chapter that dirt/bugs try to come inside her, was she dumped by a boy after sex? who knows. This is my only problem with the manga, that we don't know about nakamura even though we spent 6 volumes with her, I don't care about shipping, I think she was the second focal point of the story after kasuga so we should've got an ending character arc for her, even saeki got a ending and we understood her but not nakamura.

Anyways, it was a good story and I liked kasuga's development, tokiwa was ok, the dumping scene was garbage, you can't do that to your bf but let's end it. Overall 6/10 (the first part 8/10)

It's only recently that I started looking back on this series, after having watched the anime. If I had to wager a guess concerning your questions about Nakamura, it's that the author either didn't know how to or didn't want to fully define her as a character. We get plenty of information to define her personality, but we never truly learn the origin of that personality. Chapter 57 seemed to subvert a lot of expectations for many people, lol. I believe Nakamura pushed Kasuga off the platform was because she realized that as happy as she was that she found someone "like" herself in life, Kasuga's devotion to her was based upon his own lack of self identification, and he would never truly understand her. Honestly, having her die right there by suicide would have had much more impact in the story, but the author likely thought he'd lose all his readers, lol.

Tokiwa dumping her boyfriend in public was pretty rough for the guy, but at least she was honest. I think Fujiwara needed a checking though, dude was far too into taking things for granted. He was the perfect example of someone not realizing what they had (with Tokiwa) until it was gone.
Oct 31, 2020 3:45 PM

Oct 2010
DevLog said:
Catalano said:

It's only recently that I started looking back on this series, after having watched the anime. If I had to wager a guess concerning your questions about Nakamura, it's that the author either didn't know how to or didn't want to fully define her as a character. We get plenty of information to define her personality, but we never truly learn the origin of that personality. Chapter 57 seemed to subvert a lot of expectations for many people, lol. I believe Nakamura pushed Kasuga off the platform was because she realized that as happy as she was that she found someone "like" herself in life, Kasuga's devotion to her was based upon his own lack of self identification, and he would never truly understand her. Honestly, having her die right there by suicide would have had much more impact in the story, but the author likely thought he'd lose all his readers, lol.

Tokiwa dumping her boyfriend in public was pretty rough for the guy, but at least she was honest. I think Fujiwara needed a checking though, dude was far too into taking things for granted. He was the perfect example of someone not realizing what they had (with Tokiwa) until it was gone.

I liked that bolded part, true, she was really something and very complicated, I remember when we first went into her room, I expected some major stuff to define her personality, some signs, some symbols, but we only got a damn notebook, we found out too little. Maybe the author just didn't consider nakamura's story necessary, and she was ''put'' there to emphasize Kasuga, it's no secret and no one is denying that it was his story, his problems. Maybe the problem was me because I put soul into Nakamura and I wanted to know her, I thought she was the root to Kasuga's problems so a head to head sincere talk would have resolved the conflict, but we got a weird fight in the water and Nakamura saying ''kasuga, you normal man''. From my perspective, we still don't know if she's suicidal, if she has problems, she takes meds but it's too anti climatic to finish her story like oh, she took meds so she's ok, her edgy emo phase is gone.
Dec 2, 2020 5:42 PM

Jun 2012
Catalano said:
...she was really something and very complicated, I remember when we first went into her room, I expected some major stuff to define her personality, some signs, some symbols, but we only got a damn notebook, we found out too little. Maybe the author just didn't consider nakamura's story necessary, and she was ''put'' there to emphasize Kasuga, it's no secret and no one is denying that it was his story, his problems. Maybe the problem was me because I put soul into Nakamura and I wanted to know her, I thought she was the root to Kasuga's problems so a head to head sincere talk would have resolved the conflict, but we got a weird fight in the water and Nakamura saying ''kasuga, you normal man''. From my perspective, we still don't know if she's suicidal, if she has problems, she takes meds but it's too anti climatic to finish her story like oh, she took meds so she's ok, her edgy emo phase is gone.

If we look at this as Not the mere projection of a real-life person onto a piece of fiction, Nakamura's whole life seemed to be one giant existential crisis, with short stretches of depressing lucidity spread throughout it. She never felt like she belonged anywhere, or part of anything, or in relation to anyone. No one is 100% upfront and honest about every aspect of their life, their goals, their thoughts, or their desires; Nakamura was only interested in 'what lies beneath' the facade that everyone portrays. Why was she interested in this stuff? Probably because it was the only thing she considered as 'truth' in life. There are a number of clinical explanations for her behavior, but she obviously had become fixated with the concepts of Existentialism, Entropy, and eventually Apathy. I should note that many people who involve themselves with Existentialism highly value 'authenticity'; creating one's self, and living by whatever standards this entails. Put simply, one should act by one's self-determining will, not as "one (like them) should act", nor by what would 'normally be expected (of one like them)'; non-conformity in the extreme, if you will.
Dec 7, 2020 7:52 AM
Feb 2010
the darkness consumes all of us

there is no escape

nakamura pushed kasuga off the stage knowing that kasuga must live a normal life but even nakamura could not escape

you will always crave the other side of the mountain but no matter how hard you search it will always disappear. you will never understand what nakamura was thinking, why she did all of that. she told you to give up. but you never will. it will keep cropping up, like the weed that grows in your lawn
Dec 7, 2020 7:53 AM
Feb 2010
you will never understand nakamura just as you were never meant to escape
Dec 14, 2020 8:15 AM

Jun 2012
z3 said:
the darkness consumes all of us

there is no escape

nakamura pushed kasuga off the stage knowing that kasuga must live a normal life but even nakamura could not escape

you will always crave the other side of the mountain but no matter how hard you search it will always disappear. you will never understand what nakamura was thinking, why she did all of that. she told you to give up. but you never will. it will keep cropping up, like the weed that grows in your lawn

you will never understand nakamura just as you were never meant to escape

Is it really that esoteric? I don't think that's the case. There are plenty of clues; what it really comes down to is one's perspective approach angle.
Dec 28, 2020 6:22 AM
Apr 2019
I'm not really satisfy with the ending, but I'm really enjoyed the manga overall.
Aru
Feb 23, 2021 8:46 AM

Sep 2020
I hated the first few volumes of this series, this final chapter cleared a few things about Nakamura's character which drastically changed my view on the series as a whole.
Latter half of the series was brilliant tho. Loved it!

Also rip Saeki's character she's the only that didnt really 'matured'.
Mar 2, 2021 9:14 PM

Jun 2012
A1ter_00 said:
I hated the first few volumes of this series, this final chapter cleared a few things about Nakamura's character which drastically changed my view on the series as a whole.
Latter half of the series was brilliant tho. Loved it!

Also rip Saeki's character she's the only that didnt really 'matured'.

If there were a real 'loser' in this story, it would certainly be Saeki. She never got over Kasuga, not really. He was the first person she loved, and the latter two men in her life were those she settled for; even in the scenes with her eventual husband, her smile is sad and tired.

When she met up with Kasuga that last time, she was upset that he had moved on, that he had found someone that he cared about more than he ever did for her or Nakamura. This really vexed her, as she could tell that he was serious about Tokiwa, and had no intention of "messing up her life, too". That statement was the 'tell' there; the damage Kasuga's involvement had done to Saeki's life was permanent. It was very interesting that at the time, Saeki's current boyfriend looked like a discount version of Kasuga, while Tokiwa is in a different league than Nakamura or Saeki.

I can't say that Saeki's fate, if you will, was unexpected, since the author has a personal dislike of "girls like her".
Mar 8, 2021 9:29 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I think the author did not know what to do with Nakamura's character. He shouldn't have brought her back to the manga if he was going to do her this dirty. Anyway, the first half of the manga was epic, but the second one was cheesy at times and felt like your just another redemption story.

7/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Apr 25, 2021 2:46 AM
Feb 2010
Oshimi Shuzo said that the second half of the manga is the manga he wanted to create. After reading his other work (drifting net cafe) I understand what aku no hana is all about now.

Its about letting go of the past. The middle school days where everything felt vivid and intense are over. The Nakamura that Kasuga knew doesn't exist any more. She is a boring normal adult now. Kasuga doesn't know why Nakamura did all those things- will never know why she did all of those things- and it doesn't matter. As a boring and normal adult he doesn't need to know. He is committed to the normal life now. His family, his wife, his job.

Yet deep down inside, his desperate most intense yearnings still exists, an existence he cannot admit to himself consciously. He yearns for those middle school days with Nakamura and Saeki. Back when things felt real. Back when the world had colours.
Apr 28, 2021 7:16 PM

Jun 2012
z3 said:
Oshimi Shuzo said that the second half of the manga is the manga he wanted to create. After reading his other work (drifting net cafe) I understand what aku no hana is all about now.

Its about letting go of the past. The middle school days where everything felt vivid and intense are over. The Nakamura that Kasuga knew doesn't exist any more. She is a boring normal adult now. Kasuga doesn't know why Nakamura did all those things- will never know why she did all of those things- and it doesn't matter. As a boring and normal adult he doesn't need to know. He is committed to the normal life now. His family, his wife, his job.

Yet deep down inside, his desperate most intense yearnings still exists, an existence he cannot admit to himself consciously. He yearns for those middle school days with Nakamura and Saeki. Back when things felt real. Back when the world had colours.

That is interesting, but if applicable at all, I would say that it only applies to a small part of the latter half of the story. Especially with the last chapter, what we are shown turns that idea on its head. If one is going to simplify this story to one short sentence, it would be more about not conforming to society's or your peer's expectations, about being a rebel and a nihilist, and regret through maturity.

The third paragraph above even indicates that there is more to the aforementioned idea of "letting go of the past".
Apr 28, 2021 7:38 PM

Jun 2012
cchigu said:
I think the author did not know what to do with Nakamura's character. He shouldn't have brought her back to the manga if he was going to do her this dirty. Anyway, the first half of the manga was epic, but the second one was cheesy at times and felt like your just another redemption story.

7/10

Well, perhaps the real conundrum with Nakamura is that we are never really told, definitively, what the source of her issues, if one could label them as such, were. This last chapter insinuates that she indeed has some kind of delusional mental state; or, it could be that the author is merely metaphorically projecting how the world feels to her. Does this last chapter make sense? You can't maintain that kind of volatile persona for long without detracting from the story of the protagonist, Kasuga. So, she is left out to pasture, as it were, until visited much later on by a matured Kasuga--only to quietly fade from the story shortly thereafter.
May 11, 2021 8:03 AM

Jul 2019
Looks like author foreshadowed my entire puberty to adulthood life. Ain't that lovely?

Jul 4, 2021 12:33 PM

Jan 2020
So that's how Nakamura found out about it.........
Jul 4, 2021 12:34 PM

Jan 2020
But in the end WTF is FLOWER OF EVIL ?????????????
Jul 9, 2021 5:02 AM

Aug 2020
Really good ending. The last two chapters were kind of an epilogue and chapter 55 is the ending as someone else mentioned above.

The first half of the manga was purely addicting, my heart was beating hard while I read those chapters. But the 2nd half on the other hand is like a coming of age story. It developed Kasuga more by introducing few more characters. Both halves of this story are nearly equal in terms of quality.

People complaining about the ending are probably weekly readers. Reading this in one go was really enjoyable. This one is a really good psychological manga.
Solid 8.5/10 for me.
Jul 15, 2021 11:16 PM
Nov 2020
its just sad that i read this just now its
Like im just dissapointed that i did just read this masterpiece but its good though i was not expecting that kasuba would confess to her haha but i understand him a while but anyways its good i would recommend this manga 9/10 cuz of the last chapter i wish they added more about nakamura :3
Aug 2, 2021 1:47 AM
Apr 2021
What the series boils down to: Kasuga, Saeki, Nakamura—they're all empty inside.

Kasuga is empty. He tried to fill the void in his heart with books recommended by his father. He swallowed the Flowers of Evil whole, shoved it down his throat as he described it, because it gave him a purpose. Not even because he liked the book all that much or even understood it in 8th grade. Through the lens of Baudelaire he saw the path his father had trodden, one that lead to stagnation in a town with nothing but rust and weeds, encased by mountains. He knew he had to walk a new one. So Baudelaire's ideals became his own. Saeki became his Jeanne. She filled him with inspiration by becoming his muse. His femme fatale. He triumphantly walked the path of evil as Baudelaire did and, perhaps through happenstance or not, stole Saeki's gym clothes. "My life's over now!" he shouted at every wrong turn thereafter. Every terrible thing that happened to him, the contract he made with Nakamura, the things she made him do, the "Other Side" he built and the festival. It was just fine actually. He was empty without all of that, and if any of it would truly end his miserable life, he was prepared to fill up his empty jerry can of a soul and go out in a blaze. The shit bug he is. Years later when he met Tokiwa, he remarked how empty he still felt. No matter how many books she lent him, it was a bottomless hole. An endless grayness. In the end he fills himself with her love. Shoves her down his throat, even though he may not even love her all that much. What he loves is not feeling empty. Even if it's a delusion. Even if it's a dream he tells himself. However the true dream, the true path he's meant to follow doesn't materialize until the Flowers of Evil bloom once more inside his void. They are perhaps the one thing that will truly make him feel whole—or maybe not. We'll never know where that road takes him.

Saeki is empty too. Cram school, piano lessons, being the perfect daughter. She never had an identity so she let everyone else give her one. Her popularity was a label of convenience. At least she was meeting her peers's expectations. She gladly accepted Kasuga's confession because he gave her a rather unique identity: somebody one could still love despite having no identity. But she made a fatal mistake, because as we find out he only loved the idea of her. This image of an angel. He didn't want to know her human side. He didn't want to love her human side—her emptiness. No, who he really loved was Nakamura. And when Nakamura stole him, in her eyes, she went fucking crazy because now she was empty again. She couldn't even slap on a label of girlfriend anymore. Kasuga broke up with her and she outright refused. What was she good for if not to fulfill a simple a role as a lover? That's why she gave him her virginity. Nakamura told her she wanted to have sex, yet appalled as Saeki was, that very lie became her own truth. It had to. It was something still possessed that defined her worth, and she could give it to him. So she forced herself upon him. In the end she got nothing still and so she burned everything down, reducing it all to nothingness as well. She was truly empty now, broken, and bleeding. Unfulfilled, unhappy, sullied and faceless. She never got over him for turning her into this shell. Not even after watching his closing act on TV. She moved away from that town of false labels, of fake identities, and ironically stumbled into the arms of a surrogate Kasuga. A facsimile who offered enough solace and comfort to keep her from blowing away in the wind, yet unsatiating enough that she needed to be validated by the real Kasuga when she bumped into him 3 years later. If only to express how unhappy she still is. How empty she still is.

Nakamura is the emptiest of all. She's a vacuum in a nature that abhors one, and all the stinking shit bugs and banality and saccharine sweetness of the world wanted to creep inside of her and fill her with its filth and its darkness. She fought it every day. She ran from it, hid from it. Unlike the other two, she did not want to be filled. Her lower half screamed out: "FUCK OFF SHIT BUGS!" She refused to be trapped in that fucking town and drown with the rest of the shit bugs. In this very last chapter—or as some people coined, Chapter 0, the very first chapter—we see an important observation from Nakamura's POV that I don't believe anyone else here talked about: in Class 2-1, the billowy shadow monster that reaches down and breathes in, fills itself, with Saeki's stench. Out from it appears Kasuga's face. He's the only thing she'd ever seen clearly in that whole rotting cesspool of darkness. So she decides to fill herself with his perversion so the rest of the shit bugs cannot get inside. But it was a mirage. An oasis in a swamp. She realized it long before their grand finale at the festival too, and though we never see a visual of it, I'm convinced through her own words: Kasuga was just another shit bug now, and she could no longer see his face. She pushed him off that stage and tried to immolate herself before the darkness could fill her up. And as we see, she failed. Instead she drowns in a sea of turds and worms and fuckfaces, who crawl and burrow into her every pore to "save her." Who knows what she is really seeing and feeling on the beach in those final chapters, as she stares out at the endless sunrise and sunset. She's either filled to the brim with maggots (and a hearty dose of antipsychotics and mood stabilizers to boot), too numb with rigor mortis to fight back anymore; a zombie who serves breakfast all while she slowly decays. Or she is empty inside. Having exorcized all her demons, she lies down in the sand absorbing as much light and warmth from the passing sun as she can manage. Day after day, counting the stars at night as if they were the distant lights of a rusting town, patiently waiting for the shit bugs and the darkness to return for her.

I truly think this is what Shuzo Oshimi meant in one of his early afterwords when he spoke of the end of adolescence. How some people are still searching for it even as their skin wrinkles and their hair turns gray. Forever seeking youthful experiences with which to fill themselves. Because they are empty and always have been.
HyperthesisAug 2, 2021 1:58 AM
Aug 5, 2021 10:40 PM
Aug 2021
In this chapter, the author was probably showing Nakamura's perspective
Aug 19, 2021 10:24 AM
May 2021
weird ending, but i enjoyed the manga.
Mar 7, 2022 6:50 PM

Mar 2020
this shoulda just ended 30 chapters ago with them dying
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Mar 22, 2022 7:45 PM

Sep 2014
You either die based (on hiatus) or live long enough to turn into a run of the mill "normiefag" romcom.

Seriously, you could just skip everything pre first timeskip and have a normal story about a shy guy who ends up with the popular girl because nothing else mattered for this.

Heavily disappointing, this last chapter feels like a tease after giving us a dozen chapters of generic highschool romance.

No developement for Saeki who was the craziest bitch, no developement for Nakamura who is the reason everyone reads this manga in the first place and an MC copypasted from somewhere else, with a standard "good girlfriend" for convenience.

Manga which focus too much on a very specific book/author are always a bit cringe ngl.

Not that this was especially bad, but post timeskip this turned into a completely different story, one I wouldnt waste my time on if I had known so prior.

6/10 not bad but Im pissed the interesting setting got scrapped for generic highschool romance
Comander-07Mar 22, 2022 7:49 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 21, 2022 7:49 AM
Mar 2021
10/10. I really wasn't expecting a happy/good ending and was just expecting for the worse, since the author was Oshimi Shizu. I expected him to once again shatter my heart. But thank god the ending wasn't that. A happy ending really was unexpected for me. But i went into this with full hopes of romance blooming and i know not everyone went into it with the same mindset i did. And yes, im a sucker for happy endings so yea. Thank you once again Oshimi shizu :)
May 29, 2022 8:45 AM

Jul 2008
I feel like the manga finally landed on its feet with the second part and was able to run it home. The first half was angsty and annoying, and I definitely found it a chore to get through, so I'm glad it graduated into something more grounded and thoughtful. That said, the first half really gives the second half its weight and impact, so I guess (despite it being very maddening) I appreciate it in a way.

The manga really captures that feeling of looking back at your childhood and realising you were a moron half the time. All the stupid shit you got up to when you were young and anxious is embarrassing and overblown, and while at the time, it all seems like the most important, world-ending stuff, it all becomes water under the bridge eventually. I really liked the authors portrayal of maturing from adolescence.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Sep 19, 2022 5:30 PM
Aug 2019
mr_modest said:
Really good ending. The last two chapters were kind of an epilogue and chapter 55 is the ending as someone else mentioned above.

The first half of the manga was purely addicting, my heart was beating hard while I read those chapters. But the 2nd half on the other hand is like a coming of age story. It developed Kasuga more by introducing few more characters. Both halves of this story are nearly equal in terms of quality.

People complaining about the ending are probably weekly readers. Reading this in one go was really enjoyable. This one is a really good psychological manga.
Solid 8.5/10 for me.
Some liked it, some that don't even like it. So, my opinion about is neutral at best to the ending.
Sep 30, 2022 1:25 AM

Jul 2019
Wow, some interesting takes in this thread. I guess reading it weekly/binging it might leave a different impression. I don't share the opinion that the story should've ended where it was all chaotic. It was nice to see Kasuga found himself again.
Nov 16, 2022 10:46 AM

Aug 2018
And now, we saw Nakamura's perspective where it all started.
This manga has been really good.
Nov 27, 2022 4:35 PM
Mar 2019
27/11/2022 3:50(pst)
Dec 29, 2022 6:33 AM
Dec 2021
Great manga. It is much better than anime. The characters a really sexy in the manga unlike the anime.
Mar 22, 2023 6:35 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Seriously this chapter was incredible but it should have been chapter 1, it explains so much about Sawa... what an awesome manga from the beginning to the end, the character development was one of the best I've seen and it really affected me through the whole story
May 8, 2023 8:46 AM
Apr 2023
amazing manga amazing story amazing work, didnt expect that id actually like it, didnt expect it would make me cry, i dropped it after the 1st volume and then picked it up again after one hour, thinking that maybe it would be good - it was good
Jul 11, 2023 4:33 AM

Nov 2021
The message is basically "just move on and become a normie lol." Ouch.

I'd properly set myself on fire before letting myself get broken like that.

Jul 24, 2023 8:34 AM
Jul 2020
great read overall.
Aug 17, 2023 11:25 PM
Jan 2019
When trying to interpret chapter 56 for myself, the key for me was understanding the meaning behind the flower coming back to life in the beginning and the end of the dream. I went back and noticed how the flower of evil changes throughout the story. The flower of evil clearly symbolizes Takao's "perversion," what I would call "the darkness within oneself."

The flower's eye is open through all of part 1, initially looking upward until it fixates on Takao during the attempted suicide. Once it fails, the eye closes. The flower doesn't return until Takao starts reading again, but the eye is still closed. Since reading has nothing to do with Takao's "perversion," why does the flower appear here? What does its appearance symbolize? When Takao reunites with Saeki, the source of his "perversion," the eye begins to open again. Eventually, Takao finally confronts his "perversion," ultimately choosing to close the eye himself by crushing the flower. This results in his hand being stained with the remains of the flower. The end of chapter 56 shows the flower coming back to life but with one major difference: there is no eye. Upon waking from the dream, Takao finally starts to write in his notebook.

The absence of the eye suggests to me that the "perversion" or "darkness" within Takao is no longer the fuel of the angst from his youth. The flower is now the fuel and source of inspiration for his writing, not a foreshadowing that Takao will return to the way he was.
Aug 20, 2023 10:49 PM

Apr 2015
Honestly this was a really good read, Kept me invested from start to finish. I could relate with a few aspects about Kasuga here and there and the character development for all of them was really good.
Everyone got a conclusive ending except for Sawa and for that I'll take one point from my score.
Basically the lesson (Atleast what I interpreted was that whatever trauma you go through you have to eventually grow out of it because you're never alone in what you do, Your friends and family are also affected by what you do and to me this manga emphasized how one can move on and be happy instead of being guilty for being happy.
9/10 For me, Really wish this gets a proper adaptation someday.
Nov 13, 2023 4:07 AM
Apr 2022
To whoever's reading this: You got here for a reason. It's nice to see you, Hope you're doing well, Genuinely.
Dec 12, 2023 1:35 PM

Sep 2017
The whole ending was a bit cheesy and disappointing. Well at least we got to see the world from the POV of the schizophrenic heroine.
The manipulation story was great, I think there just wasn't a good way to wrap it up.
خ
Mar 5, 6:17 PM

Jun 2012
Every once in awhile, I peek back into this thread just to look at the new takes. I remember scoring this story fairly high, when considering '5' as an average, so it is something I recall from time to time. I believe anything beyond a 7.5 or possibly an 8 is a bit generous. It's interesting to note that as the world changes, so do the views on this story. Too bad we never got a series based upon Tokiwa's novel.

Imagine how the story would have gone if Nakamura was medicated from the start? Would it even be worth a read? Saeki and Kasuga probably would have ended up together.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 46 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KitKatKaz - Jun 6, 2013

82 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 39 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2013

31 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 37 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 2, 2013

31 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:19 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Explicitz - May 14, 2012

85 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 25 Discussion

notsureifsrs - May 14, 2012

38 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 8:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.