Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 6, 2014 4:25 AM

Aug 2013
I know Kurapika's a guy but I have to constantly keep reminding myself of that because he looks female and sounds even more feminine. No way any guy would sound like that. Haven't seen Greed Island or Chimera Ant yet but do they by any chance change Kurapika's VA soon? Cause given his personality that voice doesn't really suit him... Or he should have just been a female character from the start cause she'd be hot with those scarlet eyes hehe.
May 6, 2014 4:29 AM
Apr 2014
don't worry....you will never see him again.
May 6, 2014 4:35 AM

Aug 2013
lxixsxa said:

Wait what does he/she/it die or something?! No spoilers please! >.<

Still I liked him/her/it, he/she/it was pretty badass but I only wish he/she/it picked a damn gender and stuck with it so I can decide if I wanna bro-hug or tap dat know what I'm sayin :p
May 6, 2014 4:40 AM
Apr 2014
rasenshiruken973 said:
lxixsxa said:

Still I liked him/her/it, he/she/it was pretty badass but I only wish he/she/it picked a damn gender and stuck with it so I can decide if I wanna bro-hug or tap dat know what I'm sayin :p

just a long vacation. nothing happened
May 6, 2014 4:43 AM

Aug 2013
lxixsxa said:
rasenshiruken973 said:
lxixsxa said:

Oh right, so he/she/it still hasn't completed his/her/its goal of revenge and gathering up the eyes?
May 6, 2014 5:03 AM
Apr 2014
rasenshiruken973 said:
lxixsxa said:
rasenshiruken973 said:
lxixsxa said:

Oh right, so he/she/it still hasn't completed his/her/its goal of revenge and gathering up the eyes?

yeah,this goal is too difficult....
May 6, 2014 5:39 AM

Dec 2012
Stop using he/she/it.

He is factually a male. For whatever reason Togashi (the creator of HxH) likes to create gender ambiguous characters. If you are confused about Kurapika, wait till you see Pitou and another character in the future.

Kurapika sadly doesn't appear again. He has a cameo but that's about it.
May 6, 2014 5:48 AM

Mar 2010
If you really like him you should not care about his gender!!! IT'S THE PERSONALITY THAT COUNTS!
May 6, 2014 6:03 AM

May 2013
I hope that Madhouse gives Kurapika a new voice actor when he comes back. The '99 version made Illumi sound like a chick and this version Kurapika lol.
''We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?'' - Uchiha Itachi
May 6, 2014 7:35 AM

Jun 2012
You're going to love Pitou and
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
May 6, 2014 7:39 AM

Apr 2012
I also don't like when male characters are voiced by female VA (except for kids maybe) because you often recognize the voice as female and it's confusing as hell. How hard can it be to find a male VA with a feminine voice? Or if you can't take a male voice and filter it or something.
EratiKMay 6, 2014 7:50 AM
May 6, 2014 8:02 AM

Dec 2008
I think Miyuki Sawashiro's voice suits Kurapika perfectly,, I guess that's just me, then. I always thought Kurapika was the type to have a feminine voice, because I doubt a masculine one would suit him..

May 6, 2014 8:05 AM

Mar 2014
He's got a little bitch in his blood. I don't see the problem.
May 7, 2014 10:21 AM

Aug 2013
Lylaaz said:
If you really like him you should not care about his gender!!! IT'S THE PERSONALITY THAT COUNTS!

I like his character this is just me nitpicking cause I really hate gender-confusion like traps and cross dressing I find disturbing. This isn't too bad all they need to do is change the VA and he can pass for a guy. But he sounds like the most feminine of women and that doesn't match his personality.
May 7, 2014 10:31 AM
Jan 2014
Later, a character by the name of Kalluto will show up, and you'll start thinking that Kurapika is the most masculine guy on earth...
May 7, 2014 3:39 PM

Aug 2013
GreenHippo said:
Later, a character by the name of Kalluto will show up, and you'll start thinking that Kurapika is the most masculine guy on earth...

LOL is it gonna be on the same level as Haku from Naruto part 1?
May 7, 2014 4:11 PM

Apr 2013
GreenHippo said:

Wait..KALLUTO IS A GUY?!

Need to google this..

Edit: OH MY DEAR GOD IT'S TRUE!
May 7, 2014 4:24 PM

Feb 2012
GreenHippo said:

More are coming...
May 7, 2014 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
SirAbblot said:
GreenHippo said:

Wait..KALLUTO IS A GUY?!

Need to google this..

May 7, 2014 5:30 PM

Oct 2012
Nice question , i had my doubts about it .But yeah i think it was stated that he's a male.
Shonen!
May 7, 2014 5:55 PM

Feb 2012
Togashi mentioned he based Kurapika's look on Japanese singer Takanori Nishikawa ....
yeah he's really short but there shouldn't be gender confusion.
May 7, 2014 9:51 PM

Jan 2014
Kurapika is of course male, and actually HxH have many confusing characters beside him. For example Neferpitou, and two zoldicks family Kalluto and Alluka.
May 7, 2014 10:00 PM

Apr 2014
@ hiatusxhiatus
Spoiler much?
May 8, 2014 4:02 AM

Aug 2013
jpem said:
SirAbblot said:
GreenHippo said:

Wait..KALLUTO IS A GUY?!

Need to google this..

I just googled Kalluto and came up with a girl in a Kimono dress no f-ing way that's a guy -.-
May 8, 2014 7:54 AM

Jun 2012
rasenshiruken973 said:
jpem said:
SirAbblot said:
GreenHippo said:

Wait..KALLUTO IS A GUY?!

Need to google this..

I just googled Kalluto and came up with a girl in a Kimono dress no f-ing way that's a guy -.-

No, he's totally a male. Togashi is that troll.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
May 8, 2014 8:10 AM

Jun 2009
I for one would be kind of disappointed if Kurapika had a voice change. Pretty sure I said it before, but his character design and voice are a definitely a part of the appeal of the character for me. I really like his battle dresses and his pretty boyish appearance is a nice contrast to his rage and thirst for revenge.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 8, 2014 5:36 PM

Aug 2013
insan3Spectre said:
I for one would be kind of disappointed if Kurapika had a voice change. Pretty sure I said it before, but his character design and voice are a definitely a part of the appeal of the character for me. I really like his battle dresses and his pretty boyish appearance is a nice contrast to his rage and thirst for revenge.

Call me old fashioned but I think man should look like man and woman looks like woman.
That's the way God nature intended.
May 8, 2014 5:39 PM

Aug 2013
Andan210 said:
rasenshiruken973 said:
jpem said:
SirAbblot said:
GreenHippo said:

Wait..KALLUTO IS A GUY?!

Need to google this..

Well I'm not gonna down-score the series just for that but I'm tempted to... cause that's one thing that really pisses me off in anime. Incest? Lolis? Stupid characters? Yeah give me them 24/7 but gender confusion is just not natural. Who does it appeal to - fujoshi girls? o.o
May 8, 2014 5:56 PM

Feb 2014
rasenshiruken973 said:
Andan210 said:
rasenshiruken973 said:
jpem said:
SirAbblot said:
GreenHippo said:

Wait..KALLUTO IS A GUY?!

Need to google this..

Well I'm not gonna down-score the series just for that but I'm tempted to... cause that's one thing that really pisses me off in anime. Incest? Lolis? Stupid characters? Yeah give me them 24/7 but gender confusion is just not natural. Who does it appeal to - fujoshi girls? o.o

Nah, it is you just got trolled by Togashi XD..
I admit i also hoping for Kalluto is female, but when he actually stated as a male, i just laugh a little... Actually from a neutral point of view, he just wear Kimono and have a formal and polite way of speaking. Yeah he not so manly, but he not a girlish one either. I for once also deceived by Illumi gender, haha. You see in my country his dub voice act is female(1999).
May 9, 2014 2:32 PM

Oct 2012
rasenshiruken973 said:
jpem said:
SirAbblot said:
GreenHippo said:

Wait..KALLUTO IS A GUY?!

Need to google this..

For some reason i think the problem with kalluto is , his one-sided ''relationship'' with his mother .
Shonen!
May 13, 2014 9:09 PM

May 2012
I never took Kurapika as a girl since I just figured from the beginning that he was the Kurama in the group. Besides, there are worse traps in HxH(Kalluto) let alone all of anime.
May 15, 2014 7:14 PM

Jun 2009
I really did think Kurapika was a girl up until about halfway into the Hunter Exam in the '99 series. I may be wrong, but there may have been some added stuff to make me feel like that.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 7, 2014 1:59 AM
May 2014
Is it just me or does it seem like everyone on this show is a guy, and even the ones who look like girls are guys. At least the important characters all are.
I'm just starting the series, and am currently at episode 40. But I don't get why you all are referencing how Togashi makes gender ambiguous characters, if they are all guys anyway. You may have a point if it went the other way for once.
The show is awesome, and I love it, but this still bugs me.
Jun 7, 2014 3:35 AM

May 2014

Well, at first, I guessed he's a girl just look at his face and hair model. Haha XD
Jun 7, 2014 3:36 AM
Oct 2013
Dang I never knew that Kalluto IS a GUY until I read this thread. I thought he was a girl wearing a kimono, with female look and voice, and paper nen techniques which are ridiculously feminine in every way.
Jun 7, 2014 7:05 AM
Jan 2014
I thought it was obvious that Kurapika is a guy. You can't really get any more obvious than his demeanor.

Alluka and Kalluto, however, have some serious problems. Their mother is seriously obsessed with having a daughter that she just raise them as girls.

Alluka is a transgender, having a weenie but acting as a girl so for her it makes sense even in the story.

Kalluto doesn't and we still don't know what's up with him.
Jun 7, 2014 11:01 AM

Mar 2014
gettogaara said:
I never took Kurapika as a girl since I just figured from the beginning that he was the Kurama in the group. Besides, there are worse traps in HxH(Kalluto) let alone all of anime.

Lol wow, I too thought he was the Kurama of the group.

I always thought Kurapika was a guy, he may look like a girl sometimes but I was always sure he was male. I kinda get homophobic vibes from the OP, especially after saying he's tempted to downgrade the show's score because of gender ambiguity.

Can't wait 'till he sees Pitou & Alluka.
Jun 7, 2014 6:00 PM

May 2014
rasenshiruken973 said:
jpem said:

OMG...... I DON"T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT BUT YEAH IT"S TRUE!!!
Sep 26, 2015 3:45 AM

Oct 2010
insan3Inquisitor said:

Basically this.
I found his VA has a very special soothing voice, just like a caramel panna cotta or something, and the contrast between that and his whole nature and goals is just so alluring.
Sep 26, 2015 7:55 AM

Oct 2011
Why was he covering his chest when Leerio was naked.
Sep 26, 2015 7:58 AM

Jul 2013
I think that Togashi confirmed that Kurapika is a boy.
Sep 26, 2015 11:31 AM

Mar 2013
i actualy thought he was a girl for like 20 episode.... good that im not the only confused one here
Sep 27, 2015 10:06 AM

Jun 2014
yatabare said:

Arrrrrrrg Kurapika's arc in yorknew city was the only thing I liked about hunter x hunter.... time to drop
Sep 27, 2015 10:22 AM
Jun 2015
GrimorumInvoke said:
yatabare said:

Arrrrrrrg Kurapika's arc in yorknew city was the only thing I liked about hunter x hunter.... time to drop

I feel pity for you....just becoz of 1 char, you will miss one of the best arcs
Sep 27, 2015 9:10 PM

Oct 2010
ani12 said:
GrimorumInvoke said:

I feel pity for you....just becoz of 1 char, you will miss one of the best arcs

Well I kinda understand this Grimorum guy's reasons though. I came very close to dropping because of Kurapika's absence also, but decided to push further for Chimera. Now I've started in the beginning and, bringing high hopes with me...

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

62 by omorashi »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.