Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2014 7:29 PM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Bringing Okita back from the dead is an unforgivably stupid decision. For a little while I actually wondered if the movie was a dream that the injured Kodai was having in his hospital bed or something. Moreover, Kodai's angst at having presided over the deaths of so many crew is apparently only a mechanism to turn back the clock to the way things were during the first TV series, with him in the gunner's chair. This is pretty bald pandering. After that, I struggle to care when Shima dies or when Okita dies for the second time.

This is apparently the longest animated film ever made, but in all that running-time it spared next to nothing for the alien prince (he doesn't even get a name), despite the fact that he plays a pretty important part in Kodai's showdown with the alien emperor. The supposed conflict between the selfishness of the Dunguil and the selflessness of Earth is quite poorly played out. The movie's just another sequence of flashy space battles.
Aug 24, 2015 8:04 AM

May 2012
Well I can say that this movie was pretty damn intense! It really gave me that original vibe from the first season which I totally loved and with all the epic battles, intense action and pretty decent drama I must say that I totally loved this movie.

Together with that the animation was top notch and that there was a very steady pacing throughout this almost 3 hour movie.

All in all I have to say that I really enjoyed this movie especially the ending, and with that the Yamato has sunken to the bottom of the seas I do wonder what the sequel movie will have to offer for us!
RafaelDeJonghAug 24, 2015 8:11 AM
Dec 23, 2016 12:18 PM

Dec 2015
Why the hell did they even land on Uruku (or however that satelite was called)? It placed them in disadvantageous situation from the start, as Cosmo Tigers couldn't be released and the Yamato also wasn't able to fight as well as it would in the air.
...Oh wait, of course if they had acted logically they wouldn't be able to fight cosmic cavalery, forget I asked ;p Seriously, and I thought cosmic axemen in LoGH were strange enough.

Generally this movie is full of incredible nonsenses, I could forgive some illogicalities in earlier installments since the rest was good enough, but here I can't find anything what could make up for them. There is also none of the feels like in prequels. The confrontation with Danguil emperor was probably intended to be similar to confrontation with Desler from season 2, but it lacked, well, everything which made that scene so emotional.

Well, speaking of Desler, the one thing I really liked was his surprise attack. I really thought he was dead and I was mad they killed him offscreen, but thankfully not and he appeared just in time to save the day.

I also have to praise here is animation and graphics, I think they were the best so far in this franchise and the music was great as always.
Mar 4, 2019 10:01 PM

Oct 2010
Alright, I did it. I watched the longest animated film ever made, in one evening. I wasn't expecting so many glacially-paced sequences; the other Yamato movies were more digestibly paced. Sure, it would be nice to have time to see those beautiful matte paintings in the theater, but I can't help picturing the producers saying "Alright, we can make it into the Guinness World Records if we pad it out, let's do it." Well, maybe the actual intent was gravitas in tribute to Yamato and all she represents.

True, 21st century media has a sickness of excessively fast-paced narratives created for attention-deficit audiences. People complain about films having "no time to breathe." Here I think the slowness was excessive, and didn't contribute to the film. I loved Tarkovsky's Solaris, so I don't think I'm the problem. And yes, the time could certainly have been put to better use.

Gwathgor said:
Why the hell did they even land on Uruku (or however that satelite was called)? It placed them in disadvantageous situation from the start, as Cosmo Tigers couldn't be released and the Yamato also wasn't able to fight as well as it would in the air.
...Oh wait, of course if they had acted logically they wouldn't be able to fight cosmic cavalery, forget I asked ;p Seriously, and I thought cosmic axemen in LoGH were strange enough.

What I loved about Okita in the first season was that he would give a hardcore insane order, the resistant crew would carry it out, and he would be clearly proven right in his judgment. I missed that in every Yamato story since. Here, the potential for something like that is completely wasted, as you said.

Outside that situation, he seemed to go along with his subordinates' desires. I'm not used to seeing Okita be so passive. It felt wrong, like it wasn't really him.

His overall contribution and ultimate sacrifice felt like Kirk in Star Trek: Generations. You shouldn't resurrect a brilliant leader just to have him fist fight the latest bad guy, or in this case, to be a suicide bomber.

Miscellaneous thoughts:

Lovely Leijiverse physics - galaxies colliding may not even cause any collisions, because the spaces between stars are so vast. And of course, the motion of the "attacking" galaxy on screen is many times faster than the speed of light. Let's not get into Aquarius' rings that don't orbit its center of gravity, or its water's ability to achieve escape velocity from a nearby planet's gravity alone. (None of this is necessarily a problem)

Dessler is the one Yamato character I will never believe is actually dead. Even if the credits roll and he's "dead," nope, still not. Is The Master supposed to be dead in Doctor Who? Does it matter? :D

Time spent honoring former space Hitler results in Yamato almost being caught and destroyed... and he's not even dead.

"We only saved one boy, at the cost of many lives. Did I make a mistake?" Looks like you did, since his only purpose was to be used in the story:
1) to show that, yep, Dad sure is a one-dimensional villain whose primary motivation is to be evil
2) to take a gunshot for you (Kodai)
3) to pull on the audience's heartstrings

Landing was a bad move, but it was fun seeing Yamato drift (as in drift racing) across the enemy city.

Also, the robot unicorn's horn is a gun.

the robot unicorn's horn is a gun

Every Yamato, I've wondered, will they kill Shima in this one? No. How about this one? No. So here, at the "end," oh, you're pulling out the Shima Death card NOW? You shouldn't have done that. It reeks of desperation to move the audience. If you're going to kill him, have it be the conclusion of a tragic arc, such as his romance with Teresa. Don't make it a random wound, caused by having to fight as infantry, which in turn happened so that we could have a scene with a robot unicorn whose horn is a gun. (Unless you're trying to make the point that Fighting Is Bad, but this is Yamato. That would be out of place.)

And don't dishonor Shima as he dies by having him jeopardize the crew, ship, and earth to satisfy his own vain desire to stay at his station and perform his duty, while a nearby friend is free to do it better. Don't allow it, Okita.

Did someone fill in Okita on Dessler now being the most honorable good guy in the galaxy?

And people thought Return of the King had an interminable series of endings.

Nice to finally see the wedding, though! (And a glimpse of the honeymoon, ha)
nDroaeMar 4, 2019 10:05 PM
Jun 19, 2020 9:30 AM
May 2019
Hmm, this was an interesting movie and even the longest animated movie. I definitely believe this could have been shortened quite a bit, however. I was one-hundred-percent anticipating Shima's death. In fact, I was expecting him to die as early on as in the third season, but seemingly that did not happen. I feel that bringing Okita back suggests his prominence & bound to the Yamato as a whole in this final battle, but the execution could overall be better. The action scenes are entertaining though, even if it's all just flashy.
Feb 22, 2022 10:30 AM

Apr 2019
Materpiece. Some things were stupid but all in all it was a fitting ending for the Yamato.
Mar 27, 2022 3:26 AM

Jul 2007
SHIMAAAAAAAAAAAA

Shima's death was pretty easy to predict at this point but it also felt quite forced and honestly his death should have been earlier in the saga, not this final movie with just some random gunshot wound. I understand it was for dramatic effect because this is the end of the yamato saga, but the execution of this was not well established and really as a viewer, i found it hard to mourn his death because it was very random and out of place.

I would have to say that certainly some plot lines and characters were not entirely consistent with the overarching story of the Yamato saga the way it was built up. Obvously the revival of Okita came out of left field and it was obvoius the intension was to create a more dramatic ending for the Yamato with its original captain going down with the ship.

How ever the character in this movie did certain things that the main okita character we all knew and loved from the first season, would never do. At times I almost questioned if it was a fake facade and Okito was just some robot and you would find out later in the film that something decapitates his head and you see nothing but bolts and gears. It just felt very strange. It was clear the way this film was directed, they didn't entirely understand some of the characters and lore of the original Yamato series.

I do have to give credit where credit is due. the ending segments was a gorgious beatiful vista of animation and high quality production on the same level as like Fantasia. The film it self was a great sendoff for the yamato and i think those last parts were really well done even though they clearly padded them out to the extreme. I didn't mind it and honestly the ending of yamato should have a slower moment so you can really take in the experience of yamato's very last mission.

Well i guess all is said and done and the YAMATO saga it self was pretty good experience over all, S1 was probably my favorite with S2 being a very close 2nd and S3 obvously is where it dipped a bit in quality. But I do still recommend this saga for people that like space opera. I give it a 7/10 over all for its attention to detail and visual productions and also its honoring of the greatest ship that has ever sailed the cosmos.

R.I.P Space Battleship Yamato
ArtimesGamerMar 27, 2022 3:32 AM

More topics from this board

» Post-credit dialogue

Coolzweg2 - Feb 22, 2022

2 by Coolzweg2 »»
Feb 22, 2022 11:16 AM

» Cut version?

jimmymimpson - Jun 18, 2014

1 by RafaelDeJongh »»
Aug 24, 2015 8:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.