Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 1, 2014 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I liked the tense moments of this episode but damn, so many deaths...SPLAT.

The battles in space was neat too and I was on the edge of my seat. Their counterattack was pretty fun to watch. I was impressed at some of the pilots' skills especially Nagate.
May 1, 2014 1:44 PM

Oct 2010
That sudden gravitational release was brutal, though I can't help scratch my head at the guy that was right behind Izana, Shizuka, and Nagate who kind of just stood there without latching on, even though there was more than enough space. Super nice extra character doesn't intrude upon Nagate's harem.

Finally Nagate's time to shine. Without even a second thought he rushed after Shizuka at the cost of his own life. This is how true relationships develop. None of that mushycrap they stuff down your throat in school life harems.

Spring 2014 anime done right in the form of Knights of Sidonia, No Game No Life, and Hitsugi no Chaika.
May 1, 2014 2:17 PM

Jun 2013
Not as much violence this week, minus the colony turning. Still pretty good ep overall. Fansubs for this anime are so fucking slow, had to give in to watch it raw for the 3rd week in a row.

Hopefully the next ep is not all lovey as shown in the preview, looks pretty disappointing.

Wish people would stop saying this is a harem, that's the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile lol.
May 1, 2014 3:24 PM

Jul 2007
ex_necross said:

Wish people would stop saying this is a harem, that's the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile lol.

It is a harem. Just not a traditional one.
May 1, 2014 3:29 PM

Apr 2014
Fai said:
ex_necross said:

True I rarely see this in most anime these days. And damn it I guess I'll have to watch it raw D:
May 1, 2014 3:31 PM
Jul 2013
To me it seems to be kinda like Last Exile when it comes to the harem parts of the story. Even though I have... Issues when it comes to harems, the one in Sidonia is a pretty harmless one imo. And most of the characters are really nice, even though they are yet to be fully fleshed out due to the limited amount of episodes in the show. And I mean, just look at your typical generic harem, there are always the same characterachetypes present. I don't think the same can be said about Knights of Sidonia.
May 1, 2014 6:25 PM

Jun 2013
Fai said:
ex_necross said:

It's a harem because a few chicks like him? I must have a harem then, by that definition.
May 1, 2014 7:58 PM

Aug 2012
ex_necross said:

It's a harem because a few chicks like him? I must have a harem then, by that definition.

Let's see:

Yeah, it is a harem. Not a conventional one though.
May 1, 2014 8:26 PM

Oct 2013
THE SOUND EFFECT DETAILS GIVE ME AN ERECTION 10 TIMES OUT OF 10.
May 1, 2014 8:38 PM
Nov 2013
Damn, that was crazy. All those poor people..
I'm glad that the preview showed Nagate saving Shizuka (I smell romance coming)
May 1, 2014 8:40 PM

Jun 2013
Onuma said:
ex_necross said:

Let's see:

Yeah, it is a harem. Not a conventional one though.

I've seen 3 girls, one of them is the main girl, the other he had like one scene with, and the 3rd he hasn't spent a second with.

Maybe later it becomes a harem, with girls following him around everywhere, but as of episode 4- it is absolutely not a harem.
May 1, 2014 8:43 PM

Jun 2012
Holy hell, that was tense. Those people "splat!"-ing everywhere, that gave me the creeps. Well, the Gauna's dead, but I can't wait for another threat to appear.
May 1, 2014 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
Those people got splat everywhere.

I was pretty impressed that Nagate killed that Gauna by himself.
May 1, 2014 9:30 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
That Gauna evaded the Heavy Mass Driver so easily and even maintained it's collision course. What a piece of monster!

Damn.. That acceleration scene inside Sidonia was brutal. -.-
At least, they succeeded evading the Gauna.. for now..

Felt like Kunato was deliberately given the spotlight in collecting the Kabizashi; when Nagate was the one who spotted it first.

Just how advanced is that Gauna?! Being able to fire a Hyggs particle canon.
That beam could've one-shotted all 4 of them instantly! Yet, it was still able to damage their frames pretty good. Damn..

Nagate was too badass; charging at the Gauna straight on & destroying that piece of monster in particles!
Yet, he doesn't care about it much and goes to look for Shizuka; knowing that he might not be able to come back.

Great episode! I guess Nagate took the bigger spotlight this episode. That was amazing!

Next episode: "Adrift"

May 1, 2014 9:32 PM

Aug 2013
This was an intense episode!! I wished this had more than 12 episodes though, I’m really curious about where the series will go. I’ll probably pick up the manga soon…

It was kinda predictable that Nagato was gonna go all hero and kill the Gauna but doesn’t matter because animation was epic and everything else was great, minus all the people’s deaths in Sidonia but oh well

I can see why you’re all talking about how this is a harem, but I think that’s good, since when is a bit of romance bad? This just makes the characters seem more human and relatable, and all the characters are well developed until now ~
May 1, 2014 9:35 PM

Jul 2008
Awesome episode. I'm so pumped!
Shame I gotta wait a week. >:I

Also, most sacrificed lives for a barrel roll ever. Peppy would be sad.
May 1, 2014 9:36 PM

May 2013
That attack from Nagate was awesome. Sad seeing the people being splattered everywhere.
May 1, 2014 9:47 PM

Feb 2012
Crazy episode this week really enjoyed it.
May 1, 2014 10:03 PM

Oct 2013
Awesome, first action anime I really like
May 1, 2014 10:36 PM
Mar 2012
By far the best episode of the series so far. So much hype from the beautiful animations, sound, and suspense.
May 1, 2014 10:37 PM

Jul 2013
this is AoT teir level amount of death, butter just in every way

must reiterate something, the OP along with no game no life are the best this season
Just an anime fan, doing what an anime fan does
May 1, 2014 10:48 PM

Jan 2014
Sending out the rest of the Survey Corps to fight against space titan. I can get behind that.
May 1, 2014 10:54 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
ex_necross said:

I've seen 3 girls, one of them is the main girl, the other he had like one scene with, and the 3rd he hasn't spent a second with.

Maybe later it becomes a harem, with girls following him around everywhere, but as of episode 4- it is absolutely not a harem.

Still a harem in the end. Doesn't matter if you haven't seen much yet :P It's like the others said it's a harem but not in a traditional sense.

Anyways, great episode! Poor citizens...even if they're educated on the safety belt in order to prevent deaths, there are still other problems such as not having enough places for people to attach their belts to, or the railings might not be able to withstand the weight. Not to mention, some may die anyways, despite having attached their safety belt to the railing :(

Kunato, that douche. He wanted to take the praise for finding the Kabizashi...but heh, it was still Nagate who destroyed the Gauna in the end, so take that.
May 1, 2014 10:58 PM
Oct 2010
Pretty good ep.
May 1, 2014 11:10 PM
Feb 2012
They seem to be sticking to the manga pretty well so far. Wonder if they're just breaking it into pieces due to the CGI with the next season in the Fall.
May 1, 2014 11:29 PM

Mar 2008
Now that was thrilling. All those massed Morito. Engagement times. Fuel depletion. Delicious.
May 1, 2014 11:42 PM

Jun 2011
Why are we only getting 12 episodes of this great anime PLEASE I WANT to be graced with more EPICNESS!
May 2, 2014 12:02 AM
Oct 2010
Question, do you guys think that commander was right with her actions? Yes I understand it bought them time to get themselves ready, but what exactly was she planning to do?

She turned down the vice commander guy's idea to arm some of the mechs with spears and intercept, so is it explained anywhere (even in the manga, just spoiler tag it for me please) why she took that course of action?
May 2, 2014 12:05 AM
Apr 2009
The last time two gauna invaded Sidonia, a majority of the populace was devoured leaving less than 500 surviving crew.
May 2, 2014 12:07 AM

Mar 2008
skudoops said:
Question, do you guys think that commander was right with her actions? Yes I understand it bought them time to get themselves ready, but what exactly was she planning to do?

She turned down the vice commander guy's idea to arm some of the mechs with spears and intercept, so is it explained anywhere (even in the manga, just spoiler tag it for me please) why she took that course of action?
From what I can tell (anime-only, that is), if she took the vice-comander's option - it'd be a half-cooked defence. With little time, only a few could deploy, and they wouldn't have had much of a battle-plan.

By forsibily evading, she won them time for that full deployment and retrieval mission.

And to extrapolate from what Maratropa said: if the Gauna caught on to Sidonia, things would probably have gone to the pits.
May 2, 2014 12:35 AM

Mar 2012
Leviathonlx said:
They seem to be sticking to the manga pretty well so far. Wonder if they're just breaking it into pieces due to the CGI with the next season in the Fall.

Sales have been doing pretty well so far judging by pre-order numbers. If this keeps up we'll probably be getting a second season (or more, considering how far along the manga is).

Ckan said:
skudoops said:

From what I can tell (anime-only, that is), if she took the vice-comander's option - it'd be a half-cooked defence. With little time, only a few could deploy, and they wouldn't have had much of a battle-plan.

By forsibily evading, she won them time for that full deployment and retrieval mission.

And to extrapolate from what Maratropa said: if the Gauna caught on to Sidonia, things would probably have gone to the pits.

Yeah, that was my impression as well. They would not have enough time to deploy the formation. If the Gauna breaks through then it's pretty much over, so the sacrifice is necessary.
May 2, 2014 12:59 AM

Dec 2013
This episode was fucking intense. I'm glad that the protagonist is actually smart and didn't kill the gauna by simply rushing in without thinking and killing it with the power of friendship. xD I'm also happy that the author wasn't afraid of killing off characters. Even though the series had a bad start, the episodes keep getting better and better. This has proven itself to be one of my favorite anime. Next episode I believe that someone is going to pick Nagate up since he has the spear and is probably the only one to have killed a gauna.
May 2, 2014 1:22 AM

Aug 2010
That was amazing! Epic action!!

The rain of people splashing into pools of blood was Brutal! O_O

Nagate is friggin BA! Disobeying order and going for the kill using the best timing. Like a Boss!

And poor Izana...seems she'll be losing with how next ep is gonna be going. Seeing Shizuka blushing and all.

I still feel like Shizuka will be killed soon for some reason so Izana might still have a chance. Well I like both of them so I don't mind either way.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if all the bitches start gathering around him lol
Barion-ZaraMay 2, 2014 6:45 AM
May 2, 2014 1:24 AM
Sep 2011
tingy said:

Still a harem in the end. Doesn't matter if you haven't seen much yet :P It's like the others said it's a harem but not in a traditional sense.

It. Is. Not. A. Harem.

At most it has a love triangle. none of the other girls have any real impact, calling it a harem is just bizarre.

Was a great episode, seems like they moving pretty fast. Feels like it wont be that long before they catch up to the translated manga x.x
May 2, 2014 1:33 AM

Jul 2012
This episode brought a great sense of urgency. It's a lot more tense than I thought it'd be. Good stuff.
EntravityMay 2, 2014 1:45 AM
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

May 2, 2014 1:35 AM
Apr 2013
HowTragic said:
That sudden gravitational release was brutal, though I can't help scratch my head at the guy that was right behind Izana, Shizuka, and Nagate who kind of just stood there without latching on, even though there was more than enough space. Super nice extra character doesn't intrude upon Nagate's harem.

Finally Nagate's time to shine. Without even a second thought he rushed after Shizuka at the cost of his own life. This is how true relationships develop. None of that mushycrap they stuff down your throat in school life harems.

Spring 2014 anime done right in the form of Knights of Sidonia, No Game No Life, and Hitsugi no Chaika.

THIS GUY KNOWS! (I'd remove Hitsugi no Chaika, though and replace it with Ping Pong but that's just me)

May 2, 2014 1:39 AM
Apr 2013
Anon1409 said:
This episode was fucking intense. I'm glad that the protagonist is actually smart and didn't kill the gauna by simply rushing in without thinking and killing it with the power of friendship. xD

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I was thinking the exact same thing when he started making the connection between the canon and the Gauna.

Nice post!

May 2, 2014 1:42 AM
Apr 2013
Maaaaan, I enjoyed that soooo much.

When the episode started I was just thinking how so much cooler it'd be if the show was done in 2-d and then BANG! Nagate Naganized that Gauna's ass with his shiny rod! (lolwat?)

Too much pumped, need lie down, might die if don't.

May 2, 2014 2:09 AM

Sep 2013
Hot damn I was pumped through that whole episode. Definitely the best one so far.

Wow, when Sidonia accelerated people were just smacking against walls and dying.

Towards the end Tanikaze went a little beast mode. It felt pretty great seeing a Gauna actually getting killed for once.

Was it just me, or did the animation improve this episode?

5/5
cupcMay 2, 2014 2:19 AM
May 2, 2014 2:10 AM

Oct 2013
those civilian deaths. so ruthless.

he does what he wantsss
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
May 2, 2014 2:52 AM

Mar 2014
Great episode, all those casualties during the acceleration, that was some nasty stuff, made me cringe.

Nagate proved himself to be a total BA!

The sound effects and music were fantastic
May 2, 2014 3:50 AM
Aug 2013
As far as weapons you would use in an actual space war go, if throwing wreckage into the path of the impactor at ten metres is enough to let you dodge, the mass driver in question is about as "high energy" as a wet fart. Which is consistent with everything else we observer about this mass driver except for the time-on-target but everything has silly ETAs in this so we can assume they just did the usual "oh, I forgot space was big" thing sci-fi writers always always do.

Now, that doesn't surprise me, because there are spears which are allegedly the only things hard enough to penetrate the Gauna, and "the only thing hard enough to penetrate" is physical nonsense, a real "high energy mass driver" laughs at any armour less than a kilometre thick.

If "down" is in the direction it's supposed to be if the ship wasn't built by a retard (i.e. down = aft of the vessel), the shift in G should be nothing like that; the angle between "down" and the direction of thrust is tiny.

Then again, "if the ship wasn't built by a retard", the specific standard by which all interior structures would be built would be "what if only one engine is fired at maximum and the g shifts correspondingly?", and so it's pretty clear that the humans in this universe are slightly less good at space travel and ship design than the Kerbals.

Obviously the correct answer when a subordinate asks what we're going to do against the Gauna is "win glory". Death on the battlefield against the enemies of mankind is the highest honour one can achieve in life, it matters not if you're kinda shit at actually winning on that battlefield.

Oh, hey, I was talking about Kerbals, and now the cliffhanger is that the MC is trying to rescue a friend lost in space, and thereby risking not being able to return.

Yeah, I'm giving this anime shit, but that's primarily because it's bringing in so much relatively hard sci-fi and realism that the dumb bits stand out more, seriously I'm loving this.
You are not the king of your brain. You are the creepy guy standing next to the king going "a most judicious choice, sire" - Steven Kaas
May 2, 2014 4:04 AM

May 2013
@Rowan93

Hah, a second before reading the sentence in your post I also thought about Kerbals. xD

But let's be serious here, it is obvious that the Kerbals are a bit more advanced in space travel and ship design, because if their space ships / rockets don't fall apart until they're past the atmosphere it's likely they will hold together for the rest of the ride. The Sidonia on the other hand... *looks at episode* ...needs alot more strut connectors.

---

It being realistic or not aside, I think it was nice episode and actually I would kind of like a game like this. No, not a space mecha fighting game but a RTS like this with a big mothership and limited ressources (population being one too), like the old Homeworld game.
DancingJackMay 2, 2014 4:14 AM
"The fool who believed in miracles now walks among the dead." ~ Blade of the Phantom Master
May 2, 2014 4:20 AM

Feb 2012
I wonder what the Gauna represent (if there is some meaning behind their behavior).
Whenever they turn into the shape of a girl, I feel like it's an omen of some kind. From the beginning I've thought that the Gauna were more than what we've been told.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this episode. The OP lyrics are making a lot of sense now. I feel like this mentality of "I have to fight until I die protecting 'something'" is something that 'phatom of the opera' (what's her name again?) is harboring in these kids in order to achieve some goal in collaboration with the talking tombs. Their whole lives revolve around this single mentality, eventually controlling them, and it ends with death. Who's the real 'bad guy' here? Well that's my two cents.

At one point in the dialogue it was like this and it made me chuckle:
"give me intel on our frames!"
"it's too slow!"
idontwannapostMay 2, 2014 4:47 AM
May 2, 2014 4:24 AM

Oct 2013
Uchikudake ♪ ~ ♫ ~

Wait a minute.. Are we required to wait for another week for the continuation??
a week?? I mean 7 days? you know 7 days = 168 hours? which is also equals to 604800 seconds.
This is madness!!
It's manga time!!
Toaki90May 2, 2014 5:20 AM
"Burn the heretics"
May 2, 2014 4:25 AM

Sep 2010
Episode is very intense, also very cool sound effects.
May 2, 2014 4:48 AM

Jan 2011
So that one Gauna has finally been taken out, but shit the amount of damage it's caused and most of that was just from being evaded.
May 2, 2014 5:13 AM

Dec 2011
I really feel bad for Akai's squad fate, but it was rather obvious that they wouldn't be returning.

Moving that huge rock that also has a big structure of concrete didn't end well at all.

So the gauna missed them because it moves on a set trajectory or what, it looked like it was going like a non-homing missile.

So many victims due to their evasive maneuvers...

That wall made out of mechas reminded of old games where you'd shoot at enemy ships that were positioned like that while evading being hit.

I just knew Nagate would be able to defeat that gauna and now he's going to search for Hoshijiro.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
May 2, 2014 5:17 AM

May 2013
Woaaah, Nagate saved the day! Still, dem death flags.

But yeah, I am torn between Izana and Shizuka (tough I do think that Nagate has some sort of feelings for Shizuka). Anyways, I loved Kunato's expression when he saw Nagate defeated the Gauna.
The world shall know the truth soon.
May 2, 2014 6:29 AM

Aug 2007
Amazing ep. I hope they can keep this up and I might just get a sleeper hit of the season.

Sent with Mal Updater
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

227 by fooumies »»
Dec 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.