Forum Settings
Forums

What would a deconstruction of a shounen look like?

New
Apr 27, 2014 11:32 PM

Jan 2014
Basically, if someone took what Madoka did to magical girls or Eva to mechas and applied it to the standard battle shounen, i.e. removing arbitrary powerlevels, etc. etc. What would it look like? Do you think it could be successful? Would you watch?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 28, 2014 12:02 AM

Sep 2013
1. I will remove the "power of friendship"

2. The MC is a guy who doesn't train. He limits his powers when fighting. Kinda like Kenshin.

3. Make the MC vulnerable. Since shounen MCs always wins.

4. Characters dying. Coz in shounen it's rare to see an MC die. *points at Fairy Tail, Bleach and Naruto*.

I have more but I can't think of it right now.
This is a signature.
Apr 28, 2014 12:07 AM

Sep 2012
I can't really think of anything that would significantly deconstruct battle shounen in a way we haven't seen while still keeping it as a battle shounen.

Hmm..

Maybe if we had a battle shounen that started at as the typical "I'm gonna get stronger with my friends!" and then sadisticly turned it into a show just about the MC fighting his way out of a horrible scenario that only he escaped, with a few madoka and evangelion style mind fucks thrown in there, then I guess that might work.

EDIT: And the story would continue as the MC goes on a quest for revenge, only to keep losing buddies in process and end up becoming extremely paranoid and psychologically disturbed because of it. Possibly even slipping into the role of the "anti-hero" or straight up villain himself instead of a typical goody-good battle shounen mc.

I might watch something like that.
KorrvoApr 28, 2014 12:13 AM
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 28, 2014 12:12 AM

Mar 2008
It would look like Medaka Box, although that was more of a subversion and borderline parody at times from what I could tell from the anime.
Apr 28, 2014 12:19 AM

Nov 2012
The main character should be like shounen protagonists in which their willpower exceeds any known measure to mankind and their friendship increases their strength. Then we'll torture this character; kill off his close friends one by one in cold blood. Fuck with his mind. Then kill him. We'll then proceed to change the main character. This guy will have a similar personality so as to be able to take over the show. We'll kill his friends too. His willpower to stop this threat has pierced the heavens. He then trips over a rock and falls off a cliff. He dies. End of story.
Apr 28, 2014 12:25 AM

Jan 2010
Archer's characterization in the Fate series, particularly in Unlimited Blade Works would probably be the closest I would consider to be a "deconstruction" of battle shounen. I hesitate to call it a deconstruction, but it certainly takes the general idea of battle shounen and throws a few loops in it.

Apr 28, 2014 12:26 AM

Aug 2013
I don't watch One Piece for the fights, I think they' can be really good when they come on, but I'm more interested in the story... DBZ on the other hand... lol... story?
Apr 28, 2014 12:28 AM

Sep 2012
Why would the main character dying do anything for you?

The main character died!! So surprising!! But oh shit, now there's no story because the fucking main character is dead. Oh. ... Thanks for watching folks! The end!
Apr 28, 2014 12:31 AM

Jan 2013
It seems,
death = deconstruction, for some people.

Why can't we all just wish to see the characters live a happy and healthy life? Why? Why?
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 28, 2014 12:34 AM

Jan 2010
skyzblue said:
It seems,

Why can't we all just wish to see the characters live a happy and healthy life? Why? Why?

For some reason, death = more interesting, and deconstruction = more interesting, so death = deconstruction. Or something like that.

Also, Sailor Moon was killing off named characters before Madoka, and it certainly wasn't deconstructing anything.
Apr 28, 2014 12:39 AM

Nov 2012
Shocked said:
skyzblue said:
It seems,

For some reason, death = more interesting, and deconstruction = more interesting, so death = deconstruction. Or something like that.

Also, Sailor Moon was killing off named characters before Madoka, and it certainly wasn't deconstructing anything.

A deconstruction aims to add some realism into an unrealistic genre does it not? In a shounen series where fighting is in abundance, often times with weapons, death is a rare occurrence, especially with characters integral to the plot. That's why by simply adding in death as a possible option as to what happens to our characters, that layer of realism is included and thus a part of what makes it a deconstruction.
Apr 28, 2014 12:57 AM

Jan 2010
Miraclezify said:
Shocked said:
skyzblue said:
It seems,

A deconstruction aims to add some realism into an unrealistic genre does it not? In a shounen series where fighting is in abundance, often times with weapons, death is a rare occurrence, especially with characters integral to the plot. That's why by simply adding in death as a possible option as to what happens to our characters, that layer of realism is included and thus a part of what makes it a deconstruction.

Dying does not make something instantly realistic. Any anime could throw in a death or two for a dramatic point, but meaningful deaths, let alone deaths that are justified or sensible, are something else entirely. Yeah, it's hard to kill of main characters, but I dunno. It's just that if all a battle shounen needed to do to be a deconstruction was to kill off a main character, then deconstructions of battle shounens would seem really easy to do.

Also, deconstruction doesn't necessarily deal with realism. It more so deals with implications and consequences of preconceived notions and binaries, which can involve realism or even deaths, but it's not a requirement.
Apr 28, 2014 1:12 AM

Jul 2013
villans that deserve it actually are killed

the main cast are not invulnerable

the fights are all logical its not just to hammers smashing into eachother over and over until one breaks

the power system is complicated

and a example from the show would be the invasion arc not being a all out battle instead a psychological confrontation no other shonen does anything close to HxH

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
sarroushMay 9, 2014 9:02 AM
Apr 28, 2014 1:30 AM

Dec 2012
ran614 said:
4. Characters dying. Coz in shounen it's rare to see an MC die. *points at Fairy Tail, Bleach and Naruto*.

I have more but I can't think of it right now.

1. Many battle anime don't have that.
4. By MC you mean a main character or a protagonist?

I don't think understand what a deconstruction even means. Medaka Box is the closest thing, I think.
Apr 28, 2014 1:30 AM

Nov 2012
Shocked said:
Miraclezify said:
Shocked said:
skyzblue said:
It seems,

Dying does not make something instantly realistic. Any anime could throw in a death or two for a dramatic point, but meaningful deaths, let alone deaths that are justified or sensible, are something else entirely. Yeah, it's hard to kill of main characters, but I dunno. It's just that if all a battle shounen needed to do to be a deconstruction was to kill off a main character, then deconstructions of battle shounens would seem really easy to do.

Also, deconstruction doesn't necessarily deal with realism. It more so deals with implications and consequences of preconceived notions and binaries, which can involve realism or even deaths, but it's not a requirement.

I didn't say it did, but death in a show about fighting does add that little bit of realism. Death of a main character isn't all that needs to be done to make a deconstruction, but rather something that should feel real to the characters. It never feels like a possibility in shounen shows, because it isn't a possibility.

I'm of the opinion that "implications and consequences of preconceived notions and binaries" are essentially realism. Realism doesn't necessarily refer to having a world that works like ours, but rather a world that follows its own laws and often times those laws mirror ours (often with some changes of course). Implications and consequences are the basis of the realism that a deconstruction requires as a more unrealistic show would completely ignore these (such as DBZ and the moon being destroyed having no effect at all).
Apr 28, 2014 1:39 AM

Dec 2012
StefanHere said:

many things but the majors ones are

Like who? Uvgon? because that's the only villain that died before the CA arc.

After the CA arc

Yeah so? some villains died, that happens in every other shounen. Even DBZ.

They sure started that way, but became insanely powerful compared to their original selves. Like Kurapika and Gon. Many characters in other shounen gets damaged and harmed and lose. To use an example of an anime that I don't even like (one piece, in thriller park and luffy big lose later)

the fights are all logical its not just to hammers smashing into eachother over and over until one breaks

Just like Naruto?

and a example from the show would be the invasion arc not being a all out battle instead a psychological confrontation no other shonen does anything close to HxH

It was a strategy that got them inside and pure power that made them win. The psychological aspect, served to develop some characters and flesh out others, it didn't really play any role that affected the outcome of the arc or the invasion specifically.
Apr 28, 2014 1:45 AM

Apr 2013
I still need to see a battle anime in which the main character is just an average guy, with no great past, hidden powers, legendary father or anything that makes him special in some sort of way.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 28, 2014 1:50 AM

Sep 2012
StefanHere said:

Villains die? That's nothing that revolutionary. But even then
I can only think of one notable example in the first 5 arcs and a few in the Chimera Ant arc.

StefanHere said:

Killua creams almost anyone he fights. Kurapika wipes the floor with Uvo and Gon (manga spoilers)
Leorio? Who's he?

StefanHere said:

Watch the most recent episode and also the next fight coming up
Apr 28, 2014 1:54 AM

Dec 2012
geralt said:
I still need to see a battle anime in which the main character is just an average guy, with no great past, hidden powers, legendary father or anything that makes him special in some sort of way.

But that's kinda boring.

cupc said:
tsudecimo said:

Just like Naruto?

Naruto and logical do not work in the same sentence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FMPtx9GLGg

Logical to it's fictional world, genius. No action/adventure/supernatural/etc fiction is logical if compared to real life.
Apr 28, 2014 1:59 AM

Mar 2012
Basicaly something along the line of YGO GX with first until halve of the third season happy go lucky duel then the later part
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 28, 2014 2:21 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
For battle shounen, Hunter x Hunter has deconstruction elements. I don't think you can call it a deconstruction though.
Apr 28, 2014 3:08 AM
Sep 2011
ran614 said:

2. The MC is a guy who doesn't train. He limits his powers when fighting. Kinda like Kenshin.

Or the MC would be scared and crying most of the time, standing on the sidelines while everyone else fights and dies. Deconstructions tend to have those kinds of characters because they try to portray trauma realistically.
Apr 28, 2014 3:16 AM

Apr 2013
tsudecimo said:
geralt said:

But that's kinda boring.

Well, it'd depend on how it's done. It may not sound that exciting, but having a main character struggling to improve and become stronger, yet never being the best would be quite refreshing. That fact could also be used to make the character grow throughout the series.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 28, 2014 3:47 AM

Sep 2012
It seems like people are throwing the word "deconstruction" everywhere now just because it's dark and edgy.

Just because a series is a dark take on something usually campy or lighthearted doesn't it automatically mean it's a deconstruction. Usually, deconstructions employ realistic psychology for their characters.

Greig E. Henderson and Christopher Brown of the University of Toronto define deconstruction as "A method of reading and theory of language that seeks to subvert, dismantle, and destroy any notion that a text or signifying system has any boundaries, margins, coherence, unity, determinate meaning, truth, or identity." The deconstruction must "shift back and forth between these perspectives" of structure and event.
Apr 28, 2014 3:52 AM

Jun 2010
Korrvo said:

Maybe if we had a battle shounen that started at as the typical "I'm gonna get stronger with my friends!" and then sadisticly turned it into a show just about the MC fighting his way out of a horrible scenario that only he escaped, with a few madoka and evangelion style mind fucks thrown in there, then I guess that might work.

That could actually work as a deconstruction.

In shonen we often have this obnoxious naivety about the power of friendship, wanting to change the world while preaching about morals (no revenge, no killing the bad guys, etc.).

So if you would take such a typical naive shonen protagonist and throw him into a realistic warlike scenario - letting him realize the sheer terror, hopelessness and how powerless he really is. Where he has to betray and willingly sacrifice friends just for his own survival. Portraying the change that this does to his psyche and behavior.

That I would consider a deconstruction of some sorts.
Apr 28, 2014 3:59 AM

Jun 2009
We should really differentiate between genres/target demographics here. You could say that deconstructing a "shounen" series automatically makes is "non-shounen" as far as demographic is concerned. At the same time I see no reason why a series that is a seinen can't be a deconstruction of the "people beating each other up in fights with superpowers" type of shounen.

sarroushMay 9, 2014 9:05 AM
Apr 28, 2014 4:03 AM

Dec 2012
grandy_UiD said:

We should really differentiate between genres/target demographics here. You could say that deconstructing a "shounen" series automatically makes is "non-shounen" as far as demographic is concerned. At the same time I see no reason why a series that is a seinen can't be a deconstruction of the "people beating each other up in fights with superpowers" type of shounen.

Maybe, we can just assume it's the battle genre. Which is an unofficial genre itself.

I can't really argue about it, since I didn't read a lot, but from what I read the series is painfully mediocre, generic and has a very unlikable protagonist. It has a sense of fun though, must be the comedy.
sarroushMay 9, 2014 9:05 AM
Apr 28, 2014 4:12 AM

Jun 2009
The quality of the series is besides the point. It DOES give you a glimpse of what the deconstruction of a battle shounen could look like. It's certainly not the main point of the story but it is a part of it. And only because it's a seinen doesn't dequalify if from being partly a deconstruction of your typical battle shounen.
Apr 28, 2014 4:19 AM

Dec 2012
grandy_UiD said:
The quality of the series is besides the point. It DOES give you a glimpse of what the deconstruction of a battle shounen could look like. It's certainly not the main point of the story but it is a part of it. And only because it's a seinen doesn't dequalify if from being partly a deconstruction of your typical battle shounen.

I know the quality is irrelevant, I'm just pointing out that nothing struck me as different. What did it deconstruct? I don't mind spoilers.

I already said it's okay, if we assume that both Seinen and Shounen can fit a unofficial genre known as battle.
Apr 28, 2014 4:22 AM

Mar 2012
This is deconstuction related trope in TVTropes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Deconstruction
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 28, 2014 4:23 AM

Feb 2013
skyzblue said:
It seems,

many action shows put the characters into life and death situations frequently; having them actually die would be more realistic, hence it would be a deconstruction
Apr 28, 2014 4:46 AM

Jan 2013
People on this thread don't even know what deconstruction of a genre means...( put aside the fact that shonen is a demographic...)

Definition deconstruction: If you take the tropes of a genre and take them to their logical conclusion.

Example of deconstruction of slice of life moe shows: All the characters eat cake 24/7 so they'll become morbidly obese and get diabetes.

Example of deconstruction of harem show: School days. all girls want the D so they get the D.
Apr 28, 2014 4:53 AM

Mar 2012
This is more ineteresting to read.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DeconstructedTrope/AnimeAndManga
Apr 28, 2014 5:12 AM

Jun 2009
Sidenote: Fucking computers at work use IE which has been fucked up here for a few weeks now, so the quote butten doesn't work which makes posting in this forum a nightmare...

tsudecimo said:

I know the quality is irrelevant, I'm just pointing out that nothing struck me as different. What did it deconstruct? I don't mind spoilers.

I already said it's okay, if we assume that both Seinen and Shounen can fit a unofficial genre known as battle.

Not all of this are actual spoilers, I'll just spoiler tag the whole thing:

There are other little things I won't bother listing now. The thing is, like I said several times already, the series doesn't aim to be a full blown deconstruction, not at all. The overall tone is a bit too light for that (although a deconstruction doesn't have to be dark) and a lot of things are just touched upon and not taken to the logical extreme. Most of the time it's more an affectionate parody, subverting battle shounen tropes, pointing out that a lot of them are cliches and every now and then showing what would be the more realistic consequence of them happening.

I do NOT consider it an actual deconstrction, however it does deconstruct parts of the genre at times (without taking it to the extreme for the most part). And since this topic is about what a deconstruction of battle shounen would look like, Hoshi no Samidare gives you a bit(!) of a glimpse at it.
Apr 28, 2014 5:25 AM

Jan 2014
geralt said:

I need to see ANY series do that. Very few to none come to mind that does that. The MC is ALWAYS special in some way, even if that is being different from everyone else.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 28, 2014 5:48 AM

Jun 2009
RedRoseFring said:

I need to see ANY series do that. Very few to none come to mind that does that. The MC is ALWAYS special in some way, even if that is being different from everyone else.

Before or after the series starts? If it's "before" then I disagree with there being none. If it's "after" this complaint makes little sense because by that point he is your MC so of course you'd want him to be something special.
Apr 28, 2014 7:19 AM

Mar 2012
Just because its a Seinen deosn't mean it doesn't it can't deconstruct action shounen tropes, Berserk is a Seinen as it couldn't get away with how the series chooses to deconstructs the tropes otherwise.

I go by the TvTropes definition of Deconstruction
"When applied to tropes, or other aspects of fiction, deconstruction means to take apart a trope so as to better understand its meaning and relevance to us in Real Life. This often means pursuing a trope's inherent contradictions and the difference between how the trope appears in this one work and how it compares to other relevant tropes or ideas both in fiction and Real Life."

sarroushMay 9, 2014 9:08 AM
Apr 28, 2014 7:20 AM

Jan 2014
I agree with El Psy to some degree, but that's because when people say common shonen tropes, I think of action cliches in general, since mostly I find them the same.

So they are "shonen" tropes by name and topic but exist everywhere. Including Seinen.

And Berserk does a good job at avoiding them and not just for "shock value" like some people claim.

Flume said:
StefanHere said:
HxH is the closest

Could you list what it does that is out of the norm for typical battle shounen?

I'll only list instances where it differs from major shonen cliches (nothing story-related/thematic.

tl;dr warning

1- The MC loses. Well all of them lose but he's got many unresolved losses where there are no TBD dates of a rematch. Namely his fights with Knuckle (29) losses, fight with Hanzo, How he was still weaker than Genthru even after beating him, and his last fight with Hisoka, although the last one might see the light of day, but:

2) Main character teams up with the villains, with all the unresolved issues and the fact that the villain is a psychopath murderer but he treats him casually.
Usually it's either some tsundere alliance like Vegeta's after being defeated.

3) Villains usually get away. The show does not aim very hard at exacting justice, not even in an anti-heroic way, except for Kurapika's character during its development with the whole revenge issue.
Genthru was let go because "Killua killed more" so they'd be hypocrites by judging him, and that "this is an arena, people here should be prepared to die anyway".

In other shonen, any of this hostility is viewed as an injustice/imbalance that has to be corrected, and depending on its size determines the scale of the climax (episodic, arc, overall story). Meanwhile, Zoldycks manor is a tourist spot.

For instance, PT were let go to kill further people as they do casually. This is not even treated as some anti-heroic development out of certain emotions. It's just a non-issue.
I guess it has more to do with what the show is conveying itself that the character actions and motivations.
Usually they'd be either killed out of revenge or defeated and spared/arrested or something because 'revenge is bad'

4) Characters in general are not conveniently invincible.

5) Not everything is by the MC: Generally every major victory in shonen concerns the main character. If a side character has the spot-light, it means it's not the real climax of the show.
Exceptions are the transitional arcs in long-running anime.

In HxH he's even side-lined by Kurapika, or Hisoka during the Dodgeball, or everyone else in the invasion. Certain moments he admits weakness, as a type of reassurance from the show about his non-invincibility, rather than the sole reason of getting stronger and having a rematch. And if the training and getting stronger comes, that also becomes the subject itself, trying to explain logically how it works, although explaining and building the verse is common in some shonen to a lesser extent and frequency.

6) Main character being smart and perceptive. Most are dumb with the "stroke of genius" every once in a while" trope.

7) Boners

8) Resolve and determination being resolve and determination, instead of a magical power used when desperate. E.g, his resolve against Hanzo, Novunaga and Genthru is what made him withstand the torture and the pain, rather than giving him the upper hand with a newfound power.

9) Battles not being a priority. Even when they seem like the major topic.
GrunbeldApr 28, 2014 7:23 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2014 7:53 AM

Jul 2013
I would recommend OP to try Tokyo Ghoul then. Even though it's Seinen, that's mainly because the main theme of the manga is "ghoul" so the content might be a bit dark, but the way it presents itself with the increasing battles as the story goes on is kinda like a battle shounen manga.

1. The MC seems like your average shounen MC at first with "let's not hurt each other!" mindset but after about 60 chapters, he goes "fuck it, I'll kill anyone who threaten me and my friends" and he really did kill people, though not normal people but ghouls.

2. He's a bookworm and he practices martial arts from books to get stronger unlike most shounen MCs who just trains hard or study under their teachers.

3. There's about 4 main types of ability in this manga and they each have advantages and disadvantages against each other so there's not a really OP characters in this manga since it mostly depends on who they're up against.

These comparisons below with HxH fits Tokyo Ghoul perfectly though I've edited some of it to refer more to Tokyo Ghoul:
judals said:
Flume said:
StefanHere said:
HxH is the closest

Could you list what it does that is out of the norm for typical battle shounen?

I'll only list instances where it differs from major shonen cliches (nothing story-related/thematic.

tl;dr warning

1- The MC loses. Well all of them lose but he's got many unresolved losses where there are no TBD dates of a rematch. Though he never lose without putting up a fight and most of those losses are because of his lack of experiences.

2) Main character teams up with the villains, with all the unresolved issues and the fact that the villain is a psychopath murderer but he treats him casually.
Usually it's either some tsundere alliance like Vegeta's after being defeated.

3) Villains usually get away. The show does not aim very hard at exacting justice, not even in an anti-heroic way though I'm not sure if they'll manage to get away next time once the the MC become stronger or really pissed off.

4) Characters in general are not conveniently invincible.

5) Not everything is by the MC: Generally every major victory in shonen concerns the main character. If a side character has the spot-light, it means it's not the real climax of the show.
Exceptions are the transitional arcs in long-running anime.

6) Main character being smart and perceptive. Most are dumb with the "stroke of genius" every once in a while" trope.

7) Boners The manga barely has any ecchi/fanservice unlike most shounen/seinen.

8) Resolve and determination being resolve and determination, instead of a magical power used when desperate.

The anime will be airing this Summer, made by Studio Pierrot (God, I was hoping for Madhouse, let's hope they do a good job on it) so maybe you'll want to wait for it though I'd recommend the manga first since there's a chance they'll butcher the adaptation.
EasyGo-erApr 28, 2014 8:11 AM

Apr 28, 2014 9:00 AM

Jun 2011
A deconstruction =/= darker and edgier. Death alone doesn't make a deconstruction... also, how do you deconstruct a demographic?
Now, if we're talking about battle shounen, I can't really point out a series that deconstructs everything (except maybe Evangelion, though it's a mecha so a bit different than battle shounen). Probably Hunter X Hunter or Shingeki no Kyojin? Though they are more of a subversion of some tropes the way I see it.
I could see a deconstruction of battle shounen being something like making Rock Lee the protagonist of Naruto (after changing the name of the show). He's got through everything with hard work and has no talent whatsoever. That would be pretty cool, and his fight with Gaara could work out as a high point in the series (where he couldn't defeat him).
And then there are shounen protagonists like Gintoki Sakata, who's more like an inversion of a battle shounen protagonist (though he's from a comedy anime). He's in his 20s as opposed to the (usually) teenage protagonist, is shown to have many vices (such as his sugar addiction, alcohol problems, etc), has wavy hair, isn't very strong-willed due to the after effects of a war and as such chose to adapt to his new life rather than rebel like his friends do (which could explain why it's a comedy anime and not a primarily action-focused series).

Asturaetus said:
Korrvo said:

That could actually work as a deconstruction.

In shonen we often have this obnoxious naivety about the power of friendship, wanting to change the world while preaching about morals (no revenge, no killing the bad guys, etc.).

So if you would take such a typical naive shonen protagonist and throw him into a realistic warlike scenario - letting him realize the sheer terror, hopelessness and how powerless he really is. Where he has to betray and willingly sacrifice friends just for his own survival. Portraying the change that this does to his psyche and behavior.

That I would consider a deconstruction of some sorts.

So like Shingeki no Kyojin?
SolosApr 28, 2014 9:11 AM

Apr 28, 2014 9:23 AM

Jan 2014
But Rock Lee being a hardworking main character isn't very uncommon either.

Not to mention that he does get crazy power-ups
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2014 9:28 AM

Jun 2011
judals said:

A hardworking main character isn't uncommon but a hardworking character with no notable background (i.e. powerful family, "destiny", etc) is. And even with crazy power-ups (which is only really the Chakra Gates), he still lost to Gaara (who is considered a prodigy) no matter how hard he tried. That was what I was trying to get at.

Apr 28, 2014 9:32 AM
Sep 2013
judals said:

SolBlade said:

I could see a deconstruction of battle shounen being something like making Rock Lee the protagonist of Naruto (after changing the name of the show). He's got through everything with hard work and has no talent whatsoever. That would be pretty cool, and his fight with Gaara could work out as a high point in the series (where he couldn't defeat him).

The point is that Rock Lee couldn't defeat Gaara no matter how how he tried. He worked hard and gained so much, but he STILL failed. That's why is can be considered a deconstruction. It took apart the commonality in battle shounen where the main character's will alone is able to make them succeed.
Apr 28, 2014 9:33 AM

Jan 2014
SolBlade said:
judals said:

A hardworking main character isn't uncommon but a hardworking character with no notable background (i.e. powerful family, "destiny", etc) is. And even with crazy power-ups (which is only really the Chakra Gates), he still lost to Gaara (who is considered a prodigy) no matter how hard he tried. That was what I was trying to get at.

Which is shown to be the advantage of the Shukaku. Maybe his frustration with Neji's talent out-doing him would've been better to focus on.

LoneWoulf, would have been, had he been the MC.

A deconstruction I would like to see is to say fuck you to both talent and hard work and actually show us who's better with skills and moves and sakuga animation 100% of the way.

Pretty much like Final Fantasy: Advent Children. So add that.
GrunbeldApr 28, 2014 9:37 AM
Apr 28, 2014 9:41 AM
Sep 2013
I really just said it "can be considered a deconstruction." I'm not saying it completely is and it was done well.

I'm pretty much agreeing with you, I guess. A good deconstruction would be making someone like Rock Lee a main character.
Apr 28, 2014 9:43 AM

Aug 2013
I think Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal could be a deconstruction of Rurouni Kenshin .
Apr 28, 2014 9:43 AM

Jun 2011
Skills and talent is also a good idea, all I really wanted to point out was a potential "deconstruction" if we were to make Rock Lee the protagonist of Naruto.

DrGeroCreation said:
I think Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal could be a deconstruction of Rurouni Kenshin .

Trust and Betrayal is a part of Rurouni Kenshin, so that doesn't really count. It was even in the manga as a flashback. All it shows is Kenshin before becoming a pacifistic Rurouni (where he was a mass murderer). Though if that were to be true, then Kenshin would be the deconstruction of Trust and Betrayal and vice versa.

Apr 28, 2014 9:45 AM

Jan 2014
Ussop's first arc was a deconstruction by the way. At least to me.

When I little I wondered what would happen if the story of that liar who was eaten by wolves would turn out if the danger was toward the people he lied to rather than himself. So young me telepathically inspired Oda.
Apr 28, 2014 9:51 AM

Jun 2011
I never thought of his first arc that way. Very interesting. And what if his nose got longer for every single person who died due to his lies instead of just the fact that he lied?

Apr 28, 2014 9:53 AM

Aug 2013
SolBlade said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Trust and Betrayal is a part of Rurouni Kenshin, so that doesn't really count. It was even in the manga as a flashback. All it shows is Kenshin before becoming a pacifistic Rurouni (where he was a mass murderer). Though if that were to be true, then Kenshin would be the deconstruction of Trust and Betrayal and vice versa.
I think Trust and Betrayal deconstructs the current idea Kenshin has that killing is wrong and isn't needed even against an enemy. During the Bakumatsu he had to kill .
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 15

86 by Sigma- »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - Yesterday

23 by Recprocate »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 7 hours ago

29 by redorzo »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 7 hours ago

13 by alshu »»
24 minutes ago

» Why were children’s anime dubs so unappreciated?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

25 by Dracowyn »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.