Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 17, 2009 2:03 PM

Dec 2006
Cookie anyone ?

At least it didn't felt rushed and i'm liking the new OP
I wonder how is the next EP OP will go...

Are there any translations for the previews (mainly 10-13) ? (the regular youtube-source died).

Sep 17, 2009 2:06 PM
Feb 2009
Loved the new op and liked how more of the fantasy-sided characters of umineko are in it. The pacing and adaption was great. I bet there would be several people wondering about the new characters in the op though.
Sep 17, 2009 2:15 PM

Feb 2009
Really loved this episode. It felt good watching it.
Sep 17, 2009 3:20 PM

Feb 2008
Well, at least I didn't dislike this episode for once.
Sep 17, 2009 4:05 PM

May 2008
I really liked this episode, gave it a 5. Now it truly feels like a game! Before it was kind of confusing, understanding exactly how the "game" was working and what not, but now that they actually have Battler and Beatrice positioned like that, and Battler no longer afraid to suspect anything short of magic, it actually has a "game" atmosphere to it. I actually can't wait for next week's episode this time.
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Sep 17, 2009 5:46 PM

Aug 2009
i dont even get the point of this anime.. and why battle refuses to believe shes a witch
Sep 17, 2009 6:14 PM

Jul 2009
love the new opening and I can't wait to see where this arc goes :D
Sep 17, 2009 6:16 PM

Jul 2008
Really good episode. Though I hope they don't screw up on the pacing at the epic ending like they did in EP2
Sep 17, 2009 6:36 PM
Apr 2009
Kazuzu said:
i dont even get the point of this anime.. and why battle refuses to believe shes a witch

Read this thread:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=114695
Sep 17, 2009 6:36 PM

Aug 2009
great ep, it was so funny when that old guy Ronowe (I think hes name was), voice part Sugita, started talking. I heard the Kyon and Gintoki voice which makes me laugh
[right]

Sep 17, 2009 6:53 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Great direction this series is heading. Definitely an improvement over the adaptation of the last arc....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 17, 2009 7:17 PM

Apr 2008
great episode

Nice new OP

This arc seems interesting

Sep 17, 2009 8:29 PM

Nov 2007
porkypink said:
great ep, it was so funny when that old guy Ronowe (I think hes name was), voice part Sugita, started talking. I heard the Kyon and Gintoki voice which makes me laugh

LMAO, i didn't even notice. but that's hilariously epic. gin-san as a butler HMMMM.

also, battler can come pick me up while he's on his white horse any day. HE SHALL BE MY PIMP. & screw his crush on shannon, augh.
Sep 17, 2009 8:50 PM

Oct 2007
I thought this arc was gonna be better. I see that is a lie as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2009 9:11 PM

Apr 2007
Metroid_Ex said:
I thought this arc was gonna be better. I see that is a lie as well.

Wait one or two episodes more
a few awesome scenes in-between
and also the ending

if done right this arc is going to kick ass
Sep 17, 2009 10:04 PM

Aug 2008
So let me get this straight: Battler finally getting half a brain and starting to think that there are other people on the island means that the show is infinitely better? From what I see, outside of the first couple of minutes, the butler, and the end...this could almost have been seen as a companion to the first arc. They're so similar that they gloss through much of what happened. I just don't see the big deal about anything that was presented in this episode because so little of it was new. I didn't like this thing that they were doing with Eva at all. It reminds me of an over-embellished way of doing what they did with Jessica at the beginning of the second arc.

Meh, it seems more promising than the second arc, but it's far too early to tell.
Sep 17, 2009 10:06 PM
Feb 2009
luv the ep :)
Sep 17, 2009 10:51 PM

Jul 2009
noteDhero said:
So let me get this straight: Battler finally getting half a brain and starting to think that there are other people on the island means that the show is infinitely better? From what I see, outside of the first couple of minutes, the butler, and the end...this could almost have been seen as a companion to the first arc. They're so similar that they gloss through much of what happened. I just don't see the big deal about anything that was presented in this episode because so little of it was new. I didn't like this thing that they were doing with Eva at all. It reminds me of an over-embellished way of doing what they did with Jessica at the beginning of the second arc.

Really? Half of the episode is about the conference between the adults in the late night, which was not shown to us in the first two arcs. If it's not new then I don't know what's new. And Eva's past is considered something new too, whether you like it or not.
And about the treatment toward Eva, Krauss always tries to act like Kinzou, so there's no surprise if they treat their daughters in same way. And of course Kinzou is more harsh.
Sep 17, 2009 11:08 PM

Aug 2008
That meeting did nothing but talk about Beatrice and risk, and bring the consideration that there was someone else on the island, which had all been tossed in the air before. Eva's past is not new, we already knew based that Kinzo didn't treat her well because she was a girl based on some of her lines in the first (and maybe second) arcs. What was new was the high school version of herself that she was talking to, and I've spoken about that.
Sep 18, 2009 12:16 AM
Sep 2007
Episode 13 preview is up:

Sep 18, 2009 1:01 AM

Jun 2007
Enchant said:
Episode 13 preview is up:

Sep 18, 2009 1:23 AM
Nov 2007
Holy crap, that preview...next episode is gonna be intense.
Sep 18, 2009 2:16 AM

Jul 2008
There's no way they can butcher the next episode, right?
Sep 18, 2009 4:06 AM

Aug 2009
Kazuzu said:
Duh, cause witches don't exist.
Sep 18, 2009 4:40 AM

May 2008
ouch more questions

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Sep 18, 2009 10:07 AM

Apr 2007
Which means Lia time next episode
Sep 18, 2009 3:05 PM

Jun 2007
Animefan1929 said:
Finally a new opening.

Next ep looks like it's gonna suck though.

lol no
Sep 18, 2009 4:19 PM
Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
That meeting did nothing but talk about Beatrice and risk, and bring the consideration that there was someone else on the island, which had all been tossed in the air before.

I see that as a major change. The previous two arcs everyone ignored the letter of challenge. Now it seems as if the adults are going to take this riddle seriously, if for other reasons than intended by Beatrice (they think she's just a mistress looking for more money as opposed to a killer witch - but then again no one has died yet). I can't speak for you, but for myself, the last two arcs I kept wondering why no one even made an attempt to solve it and now it looks like they might take up the challenge.

It was nice to see that one character (I forget her name), the one that taught Battler how to think by 'turning the chessboard over', actually use some of that thinking instead of just joining the rest as a sheep to slaughter.
Sep 18, 2009 4:26 PM

Jun 2008
Her name is Kyrie
Sep 18, 2009 4:36 PM

Aug 2008
SilentPredator03 said:

I see that as a major change. The previous two arcs everyone ignored the letter of challenge. Now it seems as if the adults are going to take this riddle seriously, if for other reasons than intended by Beatrice (they think she's just a mistress looking for more money as opposed to a killer witch - but then again no one has died yet). I can't speak for you, but for myself, the last two arcs I kept wondering why no one even made an attempt to solve it and now it looks like they might take up the challenge.

It was nice to see that one character (I forget her name), the one that taught Battler how to think by 'turning the chessboard over', actually use some of that thinking instead of just joining the rest as a sheep to slaughter.

We never saw that meeting, so we don't know for sure what was discussed or not. And again, they aren't trying to solve the riddle, they're getting sidetracked (more understandably so this time) with who Beatrice is. The way I see it, they're showing a lot of things that happened that we didn't see in the first arc.
Sep 18, 2009 4:45 PM

Feb 2008
earthfairys said:

However I was disappointed by the fact that

Video link please? :<
Sep 18, 2009 5:45 PM

Jul 2008
Woah that preview did have a lot of spoilers. But the next episode looks great :)
Sep 18, 2009 5:45 PM

Apr 2007
noteDhero said:
SilentPredator03 said:

We never saw that meeting, so we don't know for sure what was discussed or not. And again, they aren't trying to solve the riddle, they're getting sidetracked (more understandably so this time) with who Beatrice is. The way I see it, they're showing a lot of things that happened that we didn't see in the first arc.

You don't know how wrong you are
see you in about 2 to 3 episodes
Sep 18, 2009 5:52 PM

Jun 2007
Please avoid mentioning spoilers even if you aren't directly stating them.
Sorry if that came off sounding arrogant, I just want the anime viewers experience to be as similar as that of us VN readers.
WattsonSep 18, 2009 6:01 PM
Sep 18, 2009 6:39 PM
Aug 2008
noteDhero said:

And again, they aren't trying to solve the riddle, they're getting sidetracked (more understandably so this time) with who Beatrice is. The way I see it, they're showing a lot of things that happened that we didn't see in the first arc.

Well from what I can remember (and someone please correct me if I'm mistaken here, I can't be completely sure), but in the previous arcs, didn't the first letter only arrive after someone had been killed? This time the letter was sent prior to any murders taking place, letting the adults actually address the contents before everyone gets crazy about who/what is killing everyone.

The impression that I got from the meeting was that everyone was going to try to solve the riddle this time (that's why that ghost/thing mentions that this is her chance to become head of the family), instead of what usually happens: people die and no one cares about the riddle anymore.
Sep 18, 2009 6:43 PM

Jun 2007
In all 3 arcs, the first letter (the one that tells people to solve the riddle) is always opened and read before the first murder.

Edit: As MarthX says below me, in the 2nd arc the letter is "received" before the first murder, but it is never shown to be read.
WattsonSep 18, 2009 6:55 PM
Sep 18, 2009 6:48 PM

Aug 2008
No. In the first arc Maria got a letter to open at dinner that she read that was basically Beatrice taunting everyone and introducing the game. It's sealed with Kinzo's ring and that leads the first search. In the second arc, Beatrice gives Maria a letter, and Rosa a letter. Maria reads one letter at dinner, and the second letter actually has the key to whoever's room.

That's not the impression I got. It felt more like they (and therefor Battler) are in a better mindset to think of the murders as something done by a non-magical outside force. Maybe they will attempt to solve the riddle, but Rosa's little distraction might take away from that.
Sep 18, 2009 6:49 PM

Jun 2007
No, in Legend the first letter was read after Dinner. You don't get to see the adults discussion. But for some reason Rudolf tells Battler that he'll probably be killed tonight. So something from that discussion must have lead Rudolf to believe that things were going to get ugly.

In Turn, a letter wasn't read but they were informed that a mysterious 19th person had shown up. Most of the discussion was cut in the anime, but it was mostly about why would a 19th person show up, believing they're after the inheritance. Because the letter wasn't read there was no discussion of the hidden gold or the epitaph.
LunarEmeraldSep 18, 2009 6:54 PM
Sep 18, 2009 6:52 PM

Jun 2007
Krauss? I think you mean Rudolf.
Sep 18, 2009 6:53 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
No. In the first arc Maria got a letter to open at dinner that she read that was basically Beatrice taunting everyone and introducing the game. It's sealed with Kinzo's ring and that leads the first search. In the second arc, Beatrice gives Maria a letter, and Rosa a letter. Maria reads one letter at dinner, and the second letter actually has the key to whoever's room.

That's not the impression I got. It felt more like they (and therefor Battler) are in a better mindset to think of the murders as something done by a non-magical outside force. Maybe they will attempt to solve the riddle, but Rosa's little distraction might take away from that.

Maria's letter in Turn was different. It only had the key to the chapel inside. It suggests that Rosa's letter was the one Maria read in the first arc but you never see her reading it and it never gives that impression that she did. I actually think
Sep 18, 2009 6:54 PM

Jun 2007
Wattson said:
Krauss? I think you mean Rudolf.

Yeah. Rudolf. Got the names mixed up there.
Sep 18, 2009 9:42 PM
Sep 2008
I assumed that when Rudolph thought he was going to probably get killed tonight was that the siblings were planning to murder each other. The letter, just happened to be an excuse and could've made things easier.

Anyways, by Beatrice not saying that person 19 or person X exists can easily mean a normal human done t he murders. The process really doesn't matter as long as that 19th person exists, and is assumed that they're capable of doing anything since it isn't seen.

The 19th person has always been speculated, and with Beatrice refusing to comment on whether oen exists or not gives Battler a glimmer of hope. As long as Beatrice doesn't outright say "There are only 18 people on the island of Rokkenjima on October 4 and 5th, 1986." in red, Battler will be allowed to say that a 19th person not seen by the family members or servants did the murders.

The anime is being weak when it comes to the background of the characters. Shannon and George's death were much more depressing, especially with all the explanations on how George was definitely the kind big brother towards all the cousins.

Generally, the parents are at first talking about the inheritance. Then, once the letter is read to them, they debate whether Beatrice exists or not, and somehow come to the conclusion that Beatrice exists to steal the money and the family. However that works.

If they butcher the next 1-2 episodes, it'll be depressing. At least like..."
Sep 19, 2009 12:48 AM

Sep 2008
Great episode~ I can't wait to see where they go with this arc :D
Sep 19, 2009 1:55 AM

Apr 2009
Okay, awesomeness ensues. CAUSE IT'S TOMOKAZU IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN. -goes to check-
UM YEAH.

Anyway, I heard some awesome music :O Any VN fans know the piece that's playing during the second tea room scene?

And wut? So, Beato took her teacher's name or something? Why did she call her Beatrice if it's Virgilia o.O

MarthX said:
I wonder how many people skip the OP and will miss the new animation.

I wonder who in their right mind would skip this song :O Haha. Nah, it's just that I like it so much, I never skip.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Sep 19, 2009 2:16 AM
Apr 2009
This? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmnwu2gEG-E
DenwaSep 19, 2009 2:29 AM
Sep 19, 2009 3:49 AM

Apr 2009

YUSSS. Thank you, oh mighty one :D
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Sep 19, 2009 8:18 AM

Jun 2009
Wow, great episode. I wonder if they'll actually try to solve a riddle in this arc.
Sep 19, 2009 9:46 AM

Sep 2008
EVA~~~~~
Sep 19, 2009 6:49 PM
Aug 2008
noteDhero said:

Ah. With so much crazy stuff going on, I find it hard to keep track of the little details like that.
Sep 19, 2009 6:51 PM

Aug 2008
Well, I was somewhat wrong also....I'm pretty good at retaining details, so if I get confused, it's a bit of a red flag.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.