Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Bullet (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 22, 2014 6:50 PM
Apr 2014
Read the manga. It's nearly caught up, next episode will catch up LOL. If every episode was 30 minutes, it'd honestly fit this series better >.>...aka another episode is needed instead of the 4 we will get this arc
Apr 22, 2014 6:51 PM

Sep 2011
Action packed & a good ep. I'm loving this anime a lot now, it was fast pace im noticed a couple of scenes that just whaaaa, that quick? The monsters designed is pretty cool looking in the ep but one thing bother me the most is how rentaro back on his feet after just 1 day recovery of getting stab & shot maybe hes not a normal human i think.
Apr 22, 2014 6:54 PM

Jul 2013
RuinsInTheWind said:
Poor Kisara gets shafted AGAIN XD (she's missing SEVERAL scenes... (in the light novel when Rentaro wakes up, he sees how beautiful Kisara is when she was crying, and he asks "is this heaven?" "This is hell, you idiot Rentaro." (LOL) Rooftop scene cut. Seitenshi got cut a bit too :P... when the kids confront Enju, the scene should have been longer. Rentaro's past encounter with Sumire/Doctor was cut a LOT. (I know why they cut certain parts though, it'll be explained anyways). Rentaro should also have made a terminator reference when talking to the doctor (sumire is a western movie collector, when he say's ill be back in like possibly the worst imitation, Sumire LOSES HER SHIT XD) (should have been more emotional, Sumire lost her lover in the war, and lost her way for quite a while). When they are wandering the outer regions in the forest, you should be feeling a sense of dread, something unnaturally wrong with the forest (Gastrea have taken over the entire forest) It should feel alien, and insanity should have been setting in for our two heros. Yea, they cut quite a bit :P
"Komugi, are you there?"

Apr 22, 2014 6:56 PM

Nov 2013
Although the pacing is quick, the episode itself was awesome.
I'm too lazy to make a fancy sig
〜( ̄▽ ̄〜)
Apr 22, 2014 7:02 PM

Jan 2011
damnit after i started to read the manga i knew it was gonna happen But they sure as hell are rushing this a lot of scenes got taken out matter of them explaining them later on i don't know

little worried when i run out of chapters to read
Apr 22, 2014 7:03 PM

Aug 2013
So far i really like the character developments in this show.

The story is ok so far, I'm hoping it will get more interesting. So far seems like its been really fast paced.
My Candies:
Apr 22, 2014 7:10 PM

Jan 2011
I mostly dislike the fact that apparently nobody besides Rentaro feels that the cursed children are persons. Well, that one teacher probably. Regular people think of them as Gastrea, and the other initiators treat them as tools, as weapons.

Unless severly indoctrinated, shouldn't kids that did not experience an Gastrea attack be more like "Gastrea, thats something bad, right? No way Enju has something to do with this, she's my best friend!" ? At least some... Either they get told a lot about Gastrea everyday by their teachers and parents etc., or they got a crash course on it once the teachers found out about Enju.

And that there is no adult (except Rentaro and the teacher) that treats them either as person, or more abstract as "hope" or anything. Or even fear, but not because they may become Gastrea, but because they can kill you before you can say "Gastrea" even/especially as they are now.

They didn't mention a single actual case of one of the cursed children to turn into Gastrea (though there probably were), and apparently even the kids that get bullied do not harm humans, as that wasn't mentioned either.

The universal hate seems a bit far-fetched given this and that most people probably didn't see a live Gastrea in the last 10 years or so.
Apr 22, 2014 7:18 PM
Apr 2014
Gastrea do make their way through the monoliths actually. For example, the spider gastrea this episode was actually a person infected outside the monoliths, but when they came into the city to seek aid, they turned. Also, the child bullying Enju mentioned their parents got killed during the war (in the ln/manga his father lost his leg and is a drunkard beating the mother).

Also not mentioned is that the children were mostly afraid, like children who are uneducated about aids. There were a few bullies jeering the main person on, but most were actually just hanging back unsure of what to do. Basically the Gastrea virus is a bit like aids. You can only get it through extreme contact like major blood transfer, major contact with bodily fluids, example/intercourse. Most of them were afraid of "catching the disease". And being ostracized by their parents/bullies/teachers/friends.

Don't forget Seitenshi also regards the cursed children as what they truly are, children. There are a few people, but as you can see, far between. Actually will become a plot point later on, the Gastrea Laws.

Also, the elder is a person who regards them as people needing care (episode 2, Mizusaki something along those lines I believe). He didn't have to help the cursed children, he was raising them of his own accord. There was absolutely no benefit for him to do so, but he did it anyways.

The doctor (whom treated the shot cursed child in episode two), although he was a bit aloof or seemingly uncaring, also treated the cursed child. He could have turned Rentaro away, but he didn't. (Of course, Rentaro paid for the treatment. Stil,l in this world, it would be unsurprising for the doctor to just say "nope, no can do". Mentioned in the light novel he was an old doctor about to retire. He obviously has seen it all, and most doctors that age become more aloof, due to experience of bitterness in trying to save/losing so many lives.

The teacher, yea he cared a bit...although he was nervously wiping himself off with a handkerchief, as you can see, society does not take kindly to anything Gastrea related. The police display a particular breed of incompetence in all adaptations. The teacher tells Rentaro it was not his place to say anything, but Rentaro should go see Enju. But Rentaro was lost in thought at the time/confused, and instructed the teacher on giving Enju her shot.

Finally, Sumire is the person Rentaro seeks for advice. She doles out all the philosophical bullshit/religion/higher purpose, until Rentaro snaps that Enju was a child, nothing more nothing less. Of course, this amuses Sumire, who immediately points out that he was correct. (Don't make such a simple problem so complicated!) So Sumire was also a person who "gets it".

So there ARE people who care about cursed children, you just had to be paying attention. (I do admit the Anime rushes too hard sometimes, and can be hard to notice.)

Most Civil Security, mentioned in the light novel, are scum of society/criminals/mercs, so it's no surprise most treat their initiators like shit.
RuinsInTheWindApr 22, 2014 7:56 PM
Apr 22, 2014 7:27 PM

Aug 2013
I think it is getting better as the season moves on. It is clearly based on great source material. I may have to pick up the manga.
Apr 22, 2014 7:30 PM

Mar 2013
Enju was amazing this episode!
Apr 22, 2014 7:44 PM

Apr 2013
Ehh, don't really wanna say this for the nth time, but this show's pace is too fast for its own good. A shame, because some of those scenes could have been pretty good if given enough time to be properly developed and played out, especially the drama regarding Enju.
Rentarou surviving that beating was silly, though maybe he's not exactly human as the quick surgery flashback implies.
I do like how the show opted for a "perma-dark" tone after the first episode, however, and I quite like the OST as well. All in all, if it slows the fuck down it has the potential to be pretty good.
Apr 22, 2014 7:45 PM
Oct 2010
People think this show is moving quickly? I guess I'm in the minority here when I say it feels like they are just getting to the point rather than dragging shit out like SnK or other actions do.
Apr 22, 2014 7:48 PM
Apr 2014
Man my explanation above should explain so much that they left out lol... well this show is powerful enough that I'm even discussing this in detail LOL.
Apr 22, 2014 7:55 PM

Oct 2013
good episode, i;m banking on the hope that there is a reason rentarou can take so many wounds, otherwise i'll be a bit disappointed
Apr 22, 2014 7:56 PM
Apr 2014
KHRoxas, you won't be dissapointed. It's coming XD I'll give you a push in the right direction. In episode 3, watch the scene when he is leaving for the Kategone hunt, and he visits his Sensei/Sumire. Every part of the scene is important.
RuinsInTheWindApr 22, 2014 8:07 PM
Apr 22, 2014 8:00 PM

Sep 2013
I think Rentarou had his organs or something transplanted with Varanium just like Hiroko (masked guy) has which explains his recovery, strength and why Hisoko is interested in him for some reason, maybe he gives out the same scent or aura.
ichii_1Apr 22, 2014 8:03 PM
Apr 22, 2014 8:03 PM
Mar 2009
First half was kind of boring and then second half was just wtf this pacing just picked up really quickly.

So...does Rentarou has regenerative powers? Cause he definitely got both kidneys pierced through and then took a bullet to his thoracic cavity. Oh, and he jumped out of a fucking helicopter at a 10 story drop. What the actual fuck?

So Gastrea come in variants that aren't insect-based.

A little bit of infodumping, but then more questions were raised which kind of offset it again.
Apr 22, 2014 8:10 PM

Jul 2010
The pacing is too damn fast.Before i started enjoying some of scenes, they were already all finished...
Apr 22, 2014 8:13 PM
Apr 2014
@ChronoXIII Yea he mentioned in the light novel he was lucky to even be alive after falling more than 20 feet in the air. Most people die/break bones at that height. He tried to land feet first, and somehow broke his fall. That master chief luck.
Apr 22, 2014 8:16 PM

May 2012
words are so cheesy in this series..

Apr 22, 2014 8:24 PM

Sep 2011
VanishingKira said:
Satire said:
This series is getting cheesier by the episode.
^This.Rushed as hell too.

Enju beating the spider was pretty cool,I guess.

Honestly can't seem to care about any of the characters.

Edit: Also when Rentarou was going to get killed by the masked man I thought ohh,he's going to die just like Eren...

Agreed they layered the cheesiness on super thick this episode. I wished he had died that would have made a great plot twist, but sadly no he lives and I'm dropping cause it's just to hard to watch this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2014 8:42 PM

Sep 2012
I've only read the manga so I can't comment on the LN. Everything has been rushed all the way to hell. As a stand alone episode it was rather good, but it's only a shadow of what this episode could've been. They cut out the Silence of the Lamb reference and the Terminator reference. Kisara had little to no screen time. The scenes also failed to stand next MORINO Hon's style too.

K1NGSL4YER said:

I'm interested in this as well. If I remember correctly, Shogen ordered Kayo to kill a civil security pair? I recall Shogen being rather rough, but I don't remember him being an actual criminal.
IronLobsterApr 22, 2014 8:54 PM
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Apr 22, 2014 8:47 PM
Apr 2014
That'd be light novel. Shogen was actually a pretty decent guy in the manga. The light novel, he's definitely scum.
Apr 22, 2014 8:57 PM

Jun 2007
RuinsInTheWind said:
Holy crap they are rushing through the scenes/condensing the animation lol. Seems like they were short on time, even last week's ending wasn't officially done... Well, I'm still happy to watch this, but they are seriously cutting a lot of dialogue, moments felt a bit rushed. Still epic, but wish they'd slow down so they can explain things a bit more for people who don't read the manga/light novel (I do, so I know there's a lot of things they should have included). Guess they are on a tight schedule.

Then again, it's hard to top Morino Hon's epic moments in the manga (holy shit especially chapter 16), ah the potential that could have been lol...

On the positive side, the scenes although short, were well done.

I was gonna ask this. I haven't read the manga but this episode had horrible pacing. It was ALL OVER THE PLACE. Things are happening that are not being explained (ex. Rentarou clearly fell off a cliff into water and now he's safe and sound in a hospital...). Characters where in places that they should not have been in. One second Enju is in bed waiting for Rentaro to wake up and the next she's at the door waiting for him because in the span of 10 mins while she was sleeping Rentaro suddenly has another mission even though just seconds ago he was inches away from being dead. I'm hoping this pacing is just for the first few episodes. There's seriously no way this show is going to be enjoyable if they don't slow it down and start building substance and detail to the story.
Apr 22, 2014 9:26 PM

Sep 2013
Great episode, I'm liking this anime more and more

Enju and Rentarou's friendship TT___TT

Apr 22, 2014 9:34 PM

Jun 2013
I hate to be cliché (no I don't), but...

Well that escalated quickly. Agree that pacing was all whacked out.

Damn, Rentarou wakes up after a day and 3 hours after essentially being killed, and then Kisara gets right down to business. Give the guy a cig or something, he needs a second to chill out!

On the other hand, I feel like they built up the discrimination of the Cursed Children really well. I felt Enju's pain. It was sad hearing her say, "I don't want to give in" and ask Rentarou if she protected everyone at school.

Also, Enju/Rentarou fist bump for the win.
Apr 22, 2014 9:40 PM

Sep 2010
A little sad that it feels so rushed. And like people have pointed out, it seems like they cut alot out

However with that said, this is one of the shows I look most forward to every week. The story is interesting, the art is lovely, and I'm really curious to how it ends. Since they are rushing so much I'm going to guess this will only have 12 episodes which sort of sucks ;-(.
Apr 22, 2014 9:45 PM

Nov 2013
Yo Rentarou aren't you a lil too invincible? Getting shot and stabbed all over and still living like that?

I wonder if the masked guy is gonna be the villain for the whole season or they're gonna defeat him for this arc and move on to another bad guy.
Apr 22, 2014 10:06 PM
Oct 2010
xxdeathx said:
Yo Rentarou aren't you a lil too invincible? Getting shot and stabbed all over and still living like that?

I wonder if the masked guy is gonna be the villain for the whole season or they're gonna defeat him for this arc and move on to another bad guy.

Well from what I got from the episode, it felt like they were heavily implying Rentarou had the same thing done to him as the mask guy. Which is why he would be able to recover from that (mask guy recovered from a broken neck).
Apr 22, 2014 10:06 PM

Jul 2012
badass.

Apr 22, 2014 10:16 PM

Jun 2013
That epic fist bump. Enju has the best smile
Apr 22, 2014 10:22 PM

Jul 2013
OF COURSE THE MC HAS TO BE A SUPERMAN.

I mean what kind of MC dies after getting shot and stabbed multiple times? no one! Of course he had been operated on many years ago, of course he has (most likely) the same body as the evil guy, of course after getting beaten so badly he recuperates and act like he can now defeat the bad guy somehow.

Next episode, muscle guy dies but MC saves the day.. or not.
Apr 22, 2014 10:34 PM

Sep 2010
Before I even had time to process what just happened, they already moved onto the next scene...
Spring 2014: NANANA WINS ALL.
Check out my blog :) http://castlebell.blogspot.com/
Apr 22, 2014 10:41 PM

Mar 2013
Quite rush, remember guys this is an adaption from the light novel not the manga, the manga included quite a number of original scenes which wasn't in the light novel, though I guess we can say good bye volume 1 by episode 4 (sigh).
Apr 22, 2014 10:55 PM
Jul 2007
I've tried to give a chance to this anime, but so far it has been very mediocre. First thing I thought after 3 episodes was this was as lame as guilty crown. Low and behold, Guilty Crown is in the recommendations. They ripped off some Magi music in that campfire scene, and they obviously ripped off Attack on Titan's intro music... this anime is so boring. Nothing interesting happens AT all; no shits given about the story.
Apr 22, 2014 10:59 PM

May 2013
Horrible episode.
Apr 22, 2014 11:00 PM

Apr 2013
was I suppose to feel sad when Enju started crying after defeating the gastrea? it was more annoying than anything else.
Nonon_Jakuzure said:
Horrible episode.
Apr 22, 2014 11:25 PM

Sep 2008
They made such a big deal of Enju disappearing in the last episode and now she appears like it never even happened.

I really hate how this anime handles all of its exposition by having characters explain stuff to each other when both characters already know whatever is being explained.

So far, every single scene in this anime with the doc has been extremely boring.
Apr 22, 2014 11:47 PM

Dec 2013
I was quite critical of the first two episodes, moreso the second than the first, but this episode was really good and set things up rather nicely. The pace was strong and the story flowed from plot point to plot point, without anything in between to draw your attention away.

I'm assuming that since the MC isn't able to fight the masked guy very well that whatever was done to him in the surgery ten years ago isn't quite the same as the masked man. Probably something similar, but more advanced and dormant for the time being. Should be cool either way.

I really hated Enju at first, I found her to be really annoying, but she grew on me this episode. I could relate to her pain, the discrimination and bullying was portrayed very well. Her reactions to it were handled nicely as well, I find myself liking her much more now.

I also found the scene with Senju to be done quite well, I could follow it and feel for her. The feelings of having killed someone for her scumbag, knowing that it's wrong but having to force herself to accept it. Her statement about not wanting to deny the MCs words was beautiful. I have a feeling scumbag will be around for a while, but I'd much rather Senju join up with the MC.

All in all, I'll give this one a 7/10
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Apr 22, 2014 11:49 PM

Feb 2014
They have got everything right so far except the pacing, these past 3 episodes have enough content to easily fill 5-6. Its getting rushed too much. Besides that the story, animation and characters are all great.
Apr 22, 2014 11:51 PM
Jul 2013
This was kinda disappointing :< Rush I suggest you guys read the manga because they were important parts that were been removed.

I started to like Kayo because of that chapter but they removed and changed it well its expected though. She's now a boring type on the anime compare to the manga. :<

dhenz07Apr 22, 2014 11:58 PM
Apr 23, 2014 12:10 AM
Jul 2011
i honestly dont know what happening not sure i should read the manga...
Apr 23, 2014 12:21 AM

Jul 2012
Enju is so bomb.
Apr 23, 2014 12:30 AM
Feb 2009
wtf thought he died there
Apr 23, 2014 12:31 AM

Oct 2009
5596050 said:
Quite rush, remember guys this is an adaption from the light novel not the manga, the manga included quite a number of original scenes which wasn't in the light novel, though I guess we can say good bye volume 1 by episode 4 (sigh).

i'm already read summary LN vol 1, yup pretty rush and cut so many, but episode 3 only half to the ending of vol 1 LN. So i think we will got epilog of vol 1 LN in episode 6 or 7.

*sorry for my bad english
ranoaApr 23, 2014 12:41 AM
Apr 23, 2014 12:46 AM

Jul 2013
ranoa said:
5596050 said:

i'm already read summary LN vol 1, yup pretty rush and cut so many, but episode 3 only half to the ending of vol 1 LN. So i think we will got epilog of vol 1 LN in episode 6 or 7.

*sorry for my bad english

you think so? from the preview many suggested that they would end the vol 1 in the next episode... and with seeing how this one has been rushed, it is possible. unless they dont cut anything anymore (hoping hoping >_<)
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Apr 23, 2014 12:55 AM

Dec 2010
Another good episode! I don't have any problems with the pacing, and like the speed its moving at for the most part, although some more development into the racism aspects would be nice, but that's probably coming.

I quite like Shogen's partner, Kayo I believe? She seems like she could be an interesting character. I feel like Shogen's going to die at some point, and Rentaro is going to have to take her in...
Apr 23, 2014 1:03 AM

Feb 2014
too rush...

悲しい… 悲しいわ…
今日のこと、「お月さま」にも教えてあげないと。
あなたも… 私 “たち” の中に… 取り込んであげる。
Apr 23, 2014 1:08 AM

Oct 2009
Urek said:
you think so? from the preview many suggested that they would end the vol 1 in the next episode... and with seeing how this one has been rushed, it is possible. unless they dont cut anything anymore (hoping hoping >_<)

Well...
Apr 23, 2014 1:21 AM

Oct 2013
I wonder what that female doctor did to Renatro in the past.

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

191 by mon_ke_po »»
Mar 16, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2014

434 by mon_ke_po »»
Mar 14, 5:49 PM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2014

397 by Karva1 »»
Mar 3, 7:32 AM

Poll: » Best Girl? ( 1 2 3 )

Blind_Guardian - May 17, 2014

105 by proxima16 »»
Dec 22, 2023 6:47 AM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2014

520 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 30, 2023 3:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.