Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think these forums will gain more traffic at some point?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 22, 2014 1:20 PM

Feb 2013
300 said:
RandomChampion said:
ban
every user under 18, so we can add a "dating" board.
Isn't this the dating board?
Apr 22, 2014 1:22 PM
Nov 2008
Ntad said:
300 said:
RandomChampion said:
ban
every user under 18, so we can add a "dating" board.
Isn't this the dating board?
nah, you're looking for this thread. chat to local singles in your area.
Apr 22, 2014 1:37 PM

Mar 2014
Yuo know, we could totally start up a freea Anime Fan mingle Hub, we totally coud. would definetly increase traffic,
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Apr 22, 2014 2:14 PM

Nov 2013
RedArmyShogun said:

@ Ntad yes, you are part of the legion of evil so is Snapshot, it is us who ruin this forum.

We sure do!

Ntad said:
Never again will I lead the technologically challenged down the wrong path. From now on, all recommendations will include the purchase of Pentium III processors off of ebay! I shan't lead any astray ever again!

Same here, I mean we do need to move that subforum to be more in line with the rest of the subforums 'round here on the scales of crappiness. It's the only way to increase the traffic to MAL.
Need technical discussion? I can help! How i sell my method:
Very well.
Apr 22, 2014 2:22 PM

Feb 2013
snaphat said:
RedArmyShogun said:

@ Ntad yes, you are part of the legion of evil so is Snapshot, it is us who ruin this forum.

We sure do!

Ntad said:
Never again will I lead the technologically challenged down the wrong path. From now on, all recommendations will include the purchase of Pentium III processors off of ebay! I shan't lead any astray ever again!

Same here, I mean we do need to move that subforum to be more in line with the rest of the subforums 'round here on the scales of crappiness. It's the only way to increase the traffic to MAL.
And from now on, all tech support issues will be handled like this. We need to do our best to make sure everything is handled professionally and efficiently.
Apr 22, 2014 2:42 PM

Jan 2013
The forum is toxic as shit and I like it.
Apr 22, 2014 3:05 PM

Mar 2014
Udgey said:

Just wait til IMG comes back and we start flooding this place with shit gifs.
Apr 22, 2014 3:08 PM

May 2013
flustercuck said:
I don't see any hope for this place unless the mods smoke more weed because they need to lighten the FUCK up before they ban everyone.

i just had to pass an effing security captcha to even get on the website >_>
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Apr 22, 2014 3:08 PM

Dec 2013
mclovinballz said:
Udgey said:

I'm fearing the day. Every other post will have an image posted in it. Wouldn't be surprised if someone is actually saving images for the day img comes back.
Apr 22, 2014 3:09 PM

May 2013
Zetrin said:
mclovinballz said:
Udgey said:

I'm fearing the day. Every other post will have an image posted it in. Wouldn't be surprised if someone is actually saving images for the day img comes back.

i love posting images so i await this day anxiously

I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Apr 22, 2014 4:04 PM
Jul 2018
Possibly. But in order for that to happen, a few changes would need to be made in my opinion. As some others mentioned, an unmoderated type of forum would really be helpful here. A sanctioned one, I mean. A place where people can post whatever. Disable the report function and let people act out in a controlled environment so that they do not act that way in normal threads, in profile comments or in other places where it's obviously not allowed. In the same light, the rule against listing discourages traffic in my opinion. Once someone's thread gets closed for listing, they might not wish to make another or contribute at all. This is the only forum I've seen that has a rule like that. Other forums of course have ways to prevent spam or listing replies such as posts needing a certain amount of characters present in order to go through.

MAL does not have such a function, so more rudimentary methods are in place. The problem is, even with the current rule in place, people are still listing. I truly feel that the rule should be revised or just removed. The current method of dealing with listing threads is more detrimental then beneficial. Once new moderators arrive, I am hoping more threads will be cleaned rather then closed. Spam is another issue that this forum has. A lot of one liner replies are posted in literally every thread. They might not always harm thread quality, but they certainly contribute very little to the discussion. A forum for all of these more problematic issues would reduce their chances of happening in other forums in my opinion.
Apr 22, 2014 4:34 PM

Nov 2013
Aylaine said:
In the same light, the rule against listing discourages traffic in my opinion. Once someone's thread gets closed for listing, they might not wish to make another or contribute at all. This is the only forum I've seen that has a rule like that. Other forums of course have ways to prevent spam or listing replies such as posts needing a certain amount of characters present in order to go through.

MAL does not have such a function, so more rudimentary methods are in place. The problem is, even with the current rule in place, people are still listing.

That's because most forums don't have problems with people generating massive amounts of listing threads that don't contribute or enable discussion. Character counts are not the issue with that, it's the content of the OPs that is bad, as such, you aren't going to fix it by trying to force minimum posting length limits.
Very well.
Apr 22, 2014 4:52 PM

Apr 2012
snaphat said:
MadScientist said:
I can tell you have a very weird thought process going on for some things. So for some reason you assume people want to beat random people's kneecaps on here and say fk you for no reason? And people don't because they are scared?

He's saying, people are too scared to say anything whenever we have inane threads -- which is quite a lot. He's on point about pretty much all of the types of threads you see on here w.r.t. to general discussion, anime, etc.

Wait what? I don't remember people being scared of saying stuff, they either go along with it for the "lulz" or just do it subtly.

None of them means they're scared. I for one stopped caring about threads as they won't get fixed if I rant.
Zetrin said:

I'm fearing the day. Every other post will have an image posted in it. Wouldn't be surprised if someone is actually saving images for the day img comes back.

You're so late, I've been storing gifs since I first saw them.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Apr 22, 2014 6:16 PM

Nov 2013
Immahnoob said:
snaphat said:
MadScientist said:
I can tell you have a very weird thought process going on for some things. So for some reason you assume people want to beat random people's kneecaps on here and say fk you for no reason? And people don't because they are scared?

He's saying, people are too scared to say anything whenever we have inane threads -- which is quite a lot. He's on point about pretty much all of the types of threads you see on here w.r.t. to general discussion, anime, etc.

Wait what? I don't remember people being scared of saying stuff, they either go along with it for the "lulz" or just do it subtly.

None of them means they're scared. I for one stopped caring about threads as they won't get fixed if I rant.

Don't take "scared" so concretely here. It could be anything ranging from scared to simply off-putting. It's not difficult to imagine that people would be off-put from speaking up and instead just avoid saying anything altogether.
Very well.
Apr 22, 2014 7:54 PM

Jan 2014
I think MAL is doomed if they can't get this Captcha thing under control.
Apr 22, 2014 8:06 PM

Nov 2013
Jackrabb1t said:

What is the captcha issue?
Very well.
Apr 22, 2014 8:08 PM

Nov 2012
Jackrabb1t said:
What "captcha thing"?
Apr 22, 2014 9:18 PM

Apr 2013
snaphat said:
Jackrabb1t said:

Kimono_Kitsune said:
Jackrabb1t said:
What "captcha thing"?
asking to caption a series of number in order to verify if you're human or a bot.
Apr 22, 2014 9:23 PM

Nov 2010
snaphat said:
Jackrabb1t said:

MAL's DDOS protection or whatever, Incapsula. Sometimes you get their captcha (which is longer than most) and then it will usually pop up like 3 times in a row before letting you go onto the site.
Apr 22, 2014 9:31 PM

Nov 2013
300 said:
asking to caption a series of number in order to verify if you're human or a bot.

The question was more, what issue is there with captcha here as oppose to what is captcha.

IntroverTurtle said:
MAL's DDOS protection or whatever, Incapsula. Sometimes you get their captcha (which is longer than most) and then it will usually pop up like 3 times in a row before letting you go onto the site.

I see, I don't believe I've ever entered a captcha for this website, but the cookie for the website expires every single time I switch wireless networks.
Very well.
Apr 22, 2014 9:32 PM

Dec 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
snaphat said:
Jackrabb1t said:

You've got some jokes there. It feeds me endless captchas. I guess it's easy for me to bypass it, all i have to do is refresh a few times. Still inconvenient though, especially when trying to post something
Apr 22, 2014 9:33 PM

Nov 2013
Honestly I don't think there's too much of a problem. Yeah the site has a few things wrong with it, but nothing to stop people from coming. I personally have only run into the captcha thing once, and it wasn't that hard to get past.

And honestly, I don't mind the number of core users. I like it smaller because then I can actually keep track of who's who. For instance, I know who a few of the immature douches are, I know who some of the aficionados are, and I know who some of the sarcastic ones are. I wouldn't want it to be too big and have it become a site where there are too many people.
Apr 22, 2014 9:47 PM

Nov 2012
Zetrin said:
IntroverTurtle said:
snaphat said:
Jackrabb1t said:

You've got some jokes there. It feeds me endless captchas. I guess it's easy for me to bypass it, all i have to do is refresh a few times. Still inconvenient though, especially when trying to post something
I also never got captchas either.
The only time I got captchas was in 2013 ~july/august when MAL was under heavy attack and went down for a week or so.
Apr 22, 2014 9:53 PM

Jan 2008
I've been on a lot of forums in the years I've spent on the internet; and it always boils down to this:

- There's a bunch of loyal oldfags who've been on the forum since it started and they will be on there forever.
- A bunch of randoms who'll post occasionally but disappear after a time, never to be heard from again
- trolls

Every forum I've ever joined had this and are always talking about the eventual "decline" of it. Despite talking about that for years.

I've only now, despite joining in 2008, decided to post in these forums to talk about my favourite chinese cartoons and other subjects with other users and I like it here so far. Thing I mostly feared was that the forum was filled with little kids spamming how Naruto (or any other entry-level shounen series) is the best and only anime you should ever watch, getting butt-devastated if anyone ever dared to declare otherwise and would start flame wars to every other anime. After lurking a bit, I found out this was not the case (at least, haven't seen it so far). Thrust me, there's a lot of anime forums with people like this. Coming from someone who has been loyal to 4chan for years, this forum is a breath of fresh air.

Maybe MAL should advertise the forum more? Maybe it should have an age-restriction to the forums (16/18+ or something), that way, we'll have more intelligent topics and conversations besides "Waaah, Why I don't have girlfriend yet?!?!?!? ;_;7" threads. Would cause more people to talk I guess.

I haven't seen the forum in the golden days, like a lot of people in this thread have talked about, so you can discard my opinion if you'd like, just throwing in my two cents.
Apr 22, 2014 10:06 PM

Dec 2013
OrangeStar222 said:

I've only now, despite joining in 2008, decided to post in these forums to talk about my favourite chinese cartoons and other subjects with other users and I like it here so far. Thing I mostly feared was that the forum was filled with little kids spamming how Naruto (or any other entry-level shounen series) is the best and only anime you should ever watch, getting butt-devastated if anyone ever dared to declare otherwise and would start flame wars to every other anime. After lurking a bit, I found out this was not the case (at least, haven't seen it so far). Thrust me, there's a lot of anime forums with people like this. Coming from someone who has been loyal to 4chan for years, this forum is a breath of fresh air.
Maybe MAL should advertise the forum more? Maybe it should have an age-restriction to the forums (16/18+ or something), that way, we'll have more intelligent topics and conversations besides "Waaah, Why I don't have girlfriend yet?!?!?!? ;_;7" threads. Would cause more people to talk I guess.

Only problem I had was this. Couldn't they just lie to get in? Age =/= Maturity level. Naruto ( or even any popular shounen) praising topics are laughed at, or are trolled into the thread being locked, so they're pretty uncommon. Reason I like MAL. It shouldn't really need any advertising. It's pretty easy to find if you're even somewhat new to anime. Those crying over anime or "why don't I have a girlfriend" type threads are locked/deleted most of the time
Apr 22, 2014 10:20 PM

Jan 2008
Zetrin said:
OrangeStar222 said:

I've only now, despite joining in 2008, decided to post in these forums to talk about my favourite chinese cartoons and other subjects with other users and I like it here so far. Thing I mostly feared was that the forum was filled with little kids spamming how Naruto (or any other entry-level shounen series) is the best and only anime you should ever watch, getting butt-devastated if anyone ever dared to declare otherwise and would start flame wars to every other anime.

[...]

Only problem I had was this. Couldn't they just lie to get in? Age =/= Maturity level. Naruto ( or even any popular shounen) praising topics are laughed at, or are trolled into the thread being locked, so they're pretty uncommon. Reason I like MAL. It shouldn't really need any advertising. It's pretty easy to find if you're even somewhat new to anime. Those crying over anime or "why don't I have a girlfriend" type threads are locked/deleted most of the time

Ah~! The good old days of lying about your age on Youtube and other internet services. That's true though, when I was under the age of 16, I lied all the time about it on sites that required you to be older. Ofcourse Age=/= Maturity, but we can at least expect someone who can legally drive a car to have SOME level of understanding on how to form their opinion in a well-written way?

I believe either a quick Google search or word-to-mouth got me to this site back then, MAL shouldn't need to adveritse, sure, but there's competitor sites. Just saying some form of showing those users this place exists and convince them it's the better place to be wouldn't hurt.
Apr 22, 2014 10:24 PM

Nov 2013
OrangeStar222 said:
Ah~! The good old days of lying about your age on Youtube and other internet services. That's true though, when I was under the age of 16, I lied all the time about it on sites that required you to be older. Ofcourse Age=/= Maturity, but we can at least expect someone who can legally drive a car to have SOME level of understanding on how to form their opinion in a well-written way?

The fatal flaw in your logic was assuming that MAL's adult users can drive... :-p
Very well.
Apr 22, 2014 10:31 PM

Mar 2014
OrangeStar222 said:
I believe either a quick Google search or word-to-mouth got me to this site back then, MAL shouldn't need to adveritse, sure, but there's competitor sites. Just saying some form of showing those users this place exists and convince them it's the better place to be wouldn't hurt.

I honestly think that some of MAL's competitors got an edge lately. I don't visit them, but while they are probably getting upgraded by its staff, MAL feels like features are getting stripped and the staff is beating around the bush.
mclovinballzApr 22, 2014 10:37 PM
Apr 22, 2014 10:36 PM

Nov 2010
mclovinballz said:
OrangeStar222 said:

I honestly think that some of MAL's competitors got an edge lately. I don't visit them, but while they are getting upgraded by its staff, MAL feels like features are getting stripped and the staff is beating around the bush.
They may have an edge in that department but I believe MAL is the one who's growing the largest. It was at 80,000 members in 2008(when the site was sold and supposedly stopped changing), hit 1,000,000 in late 2012 IIRC, and then hit 2,000,000 members earlier this year IIRC.
Just looking up an anime's name will get you MAL, so it's not unexpected. It has a simple layout and way to track anime, perfect for casual anime watchers.
Apr 22, 2014 11:36 PM
Jul 2018
snaphat said:
That's because most forums don't have problems with people generating massive amounts of listing threads that don't contribute or enable discussion. Character counts are not the issue with that, it's the content of the OPs that is bad, as such, you aren't going to fix it by trying to force minimum posting length limits.

Fix no, but it would help reduce the frequency of such posts/threads. A character requirement has had that affect on several other forums that I used to frequent, most of which were vBulletin based. If someone can't throw 1 liners around, they will either bypass the rule only to be mercilessly moderated for it or begrudgingly make a more quality thread or post. Either way, it would be better then what we have now in my opinion.
Apr 23, 2014 3:28 AM

Apr 2012
snaphat said:

Don't take "scared" so concretely here. It could be anything ranging from scared to simply off-putting. It's not difficult to imagine that people would be off-put from speaking up and instead just avoid saying anything altogether.

It still doesn't make sense.

I think you're making presumptions.

Autocrat said:
Apr 23, 2014 9:05 AM

Nov 2013
Immahnoob said:
snaphat said:

It still doesn't make sense.

I think you're making presumptions.

I've felt this way myself so I'm willing to accept that other people could also. Even without that, like I said before, it isn't unreasonable to imagine that people would be off-put from things like this.
Very well.
Apr 23, 2014 9:18 AM

Apr 2012
It's safer to presume that they don't care, why do they have to say something? Plus, it's even safer to not say anything because you'd be breaking the rules yourself by self moderating when you could simply use the Report function as they tell us to do.

I still can't fathom somebody anonymous would ever be afraid of saying that something fucking sucks.

Autocrat said:
Apr 23, 2014 9:36 AM

Nov 2013
^ You just said a few of the reasons yourself.
Very well.
Apr 23, 2014 1:10 PM

Apr 2012
Yeah but you can also presume nobody knows the self moderation rule.

Because in reality, most people here actually break the rules without knowing, that means they didn't read them. I never implied they knew about the "self moderation rule". I was just saying my own opinion on how to do stuff around here.

So yes, I still can't fathom why somebody wouldn't say "I hate these threads.". I think they're simply ignoring the forums and not bothering, why would they?

Autocrat said:
Apr 23, 2014 1:13 PM

Aug 2013
snaphat said:

The fatal flaw in your logic was assuming that MAL's adult users can drive... :-p

Some of us MAL adults can't afford a car, that shit is hella expensive! I can't afford all that fuel, repair, insurance not to mention the car itself. This country has a shit economy.
Apr 23, 2014 1:14 PM

Sep 2012
From what I can tell, anime is only getting more and more popular amongst westerners, so naturally it would make sense that sites like these (and their forums) will be seeing more traffic as time goes on.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 23, 2014 4:56 PM

Nov 2013
Kibura_Iburasa said:
snaphat said:

Some of us MAL adults can't afford a car, that shit is hella expensive! I can't afford all that fuel, repair, insurance not to mention the car itself. This country has a shit economy.

Sadly, it sure does. The driving idea was a joke anyway though. The real fatal flow with his logic was assuming that just because you can drive, you an express your opinion in a thoughtful manner. That's just a really terrible assumption.
Very well.
Apr 23, 2014 5:22 PM

Sep 2012
Kibura_Iburasa said:
snaphat said:

I'm getting one handed to me as a bribe.

Sup.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 23, 2014 5:30 PM
Nov 2008
Korrvo said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:
snaphat said:

Sup.
i'd have to pay hundreds every year on compulsory third party insurance even if i was given a car as a gift. damn, there's also registration fees too.

fuck.
Apr 23, 2014 5:38 PM

Sep 2011
Heredity said:
Korrvo said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:
snaphat said:

Sup.
i'd have to pay hundreds every year on compulsory third party insurance even if i was given a car as a gift. damn, there's also registration fees too.

fuck.

http://www.eliomotors.com/

Brand new car $6K

84MPG

no excuses for expensive cars and expensive gas! :]

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Apr 23, 2014 5:40 PM
Mar 2014
Considering MAL being one of a kind, it's obviously going to hit it off and expand. That includes the forums. Probably not to a concerning degree anytime soon, however.
Apr 23, 2014 5:45 PM

Sep 2012
Lime_ said:

Brand new car $6K

84MPG

Lmao

It's like an awkward looking Tron bike.
Apr 23, 2014 5:49 PM
Nov 2008
Lime_ said:
Heredity said:
Korrvo said:
Kibura_Iburasa said:
snaphat said:

Sup.

fuck.

Brand new car $6K

84MPG

it doesn't matter if i don't drive it at all, i'd still need to pay hundreds a year just to own it. :(

i'd pay $180 in stamp duties just for buying that, then $225 annually to the government for having it in registered as in my possession, $100 on my pink and blue slips annually and then around $600 annually on third party insurance (that i MUST have). there's probably a special fee because it's technically left-hand drive, too.
Apr 23, 2014 5:50 PM

Mar 2014
Lime_ said:

Brand new car $6K

84MPG

Looks perfect for getting laid.
Apr 23, 2014 5:57 PM

Dec 2013
Lime_ said:

Brand new car $6K

84MPG

I will wreck whoever I see driving that. It looks like a motorcycle with a car body.
Apr 23, 2014 6:25 PM

Jan 2008
The logic behind it that if your government thinks your old and responsible enough to drive (or at least learn how to), surely you could make some thoughtful comments on an anime forum.

Cars are too expensive for me too though. ;_;7
Well... wathever, regular bikes are cool too... it's... it's not like I ever want to drive a car, baka~!
Apr 23, 2014 6:41 PM

Mar 2014
mclovinballz said:
Lime_ said:

Brand new car $6K

84MPG

Looks perfect for getting laid.
Apr 23, 2014 6:50 PM

Nov 2013
OrangeStar222 said:
The logic behind it that if your government thinks your old and responsible enough to drive (or at least learn how to), surely you could make some thoughtful comments on an anime forum.

I think just about every comment section on every website of the internet just about disproves that :-D
Very well.
Apr 24, 2014 3:36 AM

Apr 2012
I think you guys should consider the other side of things too.

As in, why is it necessary that we make "thoughtful comments"? I don't see why people can't have fun bashing and shitposting. I want a balance in it like some others too, but your rants are unnecessary.

Also, it's "you're".

Autocrat said:
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

10 by Sad »»
18 seconds ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 9 hours ago

24 by xthewarwithinx »»
11 minutes ago

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

10 by xthewarwithinx »»
21 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

30 by Sad »»
21 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

12 by Taiyaa »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.