Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 20, 2014 5:36 AM

Sep 2009
Does anyone else get annoyed by those irritating Americans (usually teenage girls) who are obsessed with 'British culture'?

I have a tumblr and it's full of people like this, who worship Britain and wanna move to the land of "dr who, harry potter and sherlockk!!" and "drink tea all the time and eat crumpets" !!! And they constantly use stupid british slang like "bloody tosser" and "I haven't the foggiest" in a ridiculous British accent that no one uses.

It's not that I have a problem with people enjoying the culture of my country, it's just how some people fetishise and idealise a culture into something that it's not. I find it almost degrading.

I imagine this is how the Japanese feel about weaboos.
out-ofthe-woods.tumblr.com

(✿◠‿◠)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 20, 2014 5:50 AM

Jun 2013
To be fair, Doctor Who is awesome though.

I like certain specific things from different cultures, but I never think one culture is great in general.

That being said, British accent does sound a bit more interesting sometimes than plain American English. And I like some UK TV shows (although they don't have much to do with the culture), there seems to be less utter garbage there than in US, although they both have gems every once in a while.
sedmelluqApr 20, 2014 5:53 AM
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Apr 20, 2014 5:53 AM

Feb 2012
gravityhappens said:
Teenage girls who are obsessed with anything are annoying

Fixed for you.
Apr 20, 2014 5:54 AM

Mar 2014
I'm Canadian, we love everyone unconditionally.
Apr 20, 2014 5:55 AM

Aug 2013
America breeds anglophiles? I can't say I'm annoyed by them because I never encounter any, but so long as they're not shoving tea and biscuits down my throat they can do whatever they want for all I care.

gravityhappens said:
It's not that I have a problem with people enjoying the culture of my country, it's just how some people fetishise and idealise a culture into something that it's not. I find it almost degrading.

Yeah, this I can agree with. It seems to be pretty prevalent amongst Americans in particular, but there are people who are admiring nations to the point where it's sickening all over the world. I think I'm more annoyed by actual British people who're still proud about their imperialistic days and act as if they're the best guys ever. Lol.
Apr 20, 2014 5:56 AM

Sep 2009
Poitato said:

In fairness, I've never met a canadian that wasn't a lovely person.
out-ofthe-woods.tumblr.com

(✿◠‿◠)
Apr 20, 2014 5:57 AM

Nov 2013
I'm not an American.
weird_maybeApr 20, 2014 6:00 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2014 5:57 AM

Jan 2012
Poitato said:

Your forum pic is an incredibly accurate representation of your comment. And I have no idea what it is...
Live, Laugh, Love.

Apr 20, 2014 6:02 AM

Oct 2013
gravityhappens said:
Does anyone else get annoyed by those irritating Americans (usually teenage girls) who are obsessed with 'British culture'?

I have a tumblr and it's full of people like this, who worship Britain and wanna move to the land of "dr who, harry potter and sherlockk!!" and "drink tea all the time and eat crumpets" !!! And they constantly use stupid british slang like "bloody tosser" and "I haven't the foggiest" in a ridiculous British accent that no one uses.

They better think again. Everything costs a dime here.
Apr 20, 2014 6:07 AM

Mar 2012
These people exist? :d

I've lived in the UK for around half my life now, there are some nice things about the country, but it's nothing special, if you like history and architecture it would be a good place to visit, some places look really nice, but that's about it.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Apr 20, 2014 6:07 AM

Mar 2014
camerawr528 said:
Poitato said:

Your forum pic is an incredibly accurate representation of your comment. And I have no idea what it is...

It's Catbug, he spreads love and wonder. (He's from Bravest warriors on YouTube, a web series similar to adventure time)
Apr 20, 2014 6:09 AM

Aug 2013
I certainly like tea, but I must admit that I don't know anything else about Britain. I guess Harry Potter and Doctor Who are alright?
Apr 20, 2014 6:11 AM
Mar 2013
Yes OP I know exactly what you're talking about, they're also called BBCaboos

Doctor Who and Sherlock are terrible TV shows (0/10 tier)
Apr 20, 2014 6:12 AM

Jan 2012
Poitato said:
camerawr528 said:
Poitato said:

It's Catbug, he spreads love and wonder. (He's from Bravest warriors on YouTube, a web series similar to adventure time)

He's on CartoonHangover and I've never seen him before?! Time to marathon this..
Spread love and wonder huh... Just like what you said about Canadians minus the wonder. Haha
Live, Laugh, Love.

Apr 20, 2014 6:12 AM

Aug 2013
gravityhappens said:
The irony is that this is on an anime site

Otherwise, I don't really care, I'm not on Tumblr
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Apr 20, 2014 6:20 AM
Nov 2008
i'm australian, and i'll just say this: the crocodile hunter.
Apr 20, 2014 6:22 AM

Dec 2012
Heredity said:

I'm also Aussie, and I will say this: Middle easterners.
Apr 20, 2014 6:22 AM

Oct 2012
U r jst a tosser m8
Apr 20, 2014 6:28 AM

Jan 2013
Wait this is a real thing? The shit?
Apr 20, 2014 6:43 AM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
lol I didn't think we had fans in the UK. Why is that bloody British accent portrayed all the time. NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT, WTF.
Apr 20, 2014 6:48 AM

Jun 2013
I've seen a few people who talk like that, but they were old men in garden centres.
I didn't even know people did that. I know Americans seem to think British accent are really cool but I didn't know there was a tumblr culture sort of thing surrounding it.
People who do that have probably never even been to England, and as you said, they're teenagers. They'll grow out of it.

It isn't really helped that most British youtubers emphasize their accent so much. No one talks like that. It's so annoying and so obviously fake.
skukaApr 20, 2014 6:57 AM
Apr 20, 2014 6:53 AM

Apr 2008
gravityhappens said:
Poitato said:

Yeah, I'd have to attest to this. Wtf is it with you people? So nice to everyone!
Apr 20, 2014 6:55 AM

Mar 2014
iiSamurai said:
lol I didn't think we had fans in the UK. Why is that bloody British accent portrayed all the time. NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT, WTF.

Actually they do, you just might not notice them. If I have noticed one thing from my trips around UK, it's that accents are extremely varied throughout the different areas of the country.While I mostly noticed this in England, I assume it holds true for Wales, Ireland, and Scotland as well. Some people do talk like that.
PoitatoApr 20, 2014 8:28 AM
Apr 20, 2014 6:56 AM

Mar 2014
apatch3 said:
gravityhappens said:
Poitato said:

Yeah, I'd have to attest to this. Wtf is it with you people? So nice to everyone!

It's just the norm here.
Apr 20, 2014 6:59 AM

Jan 2013
apatch3 said:
gravityhappens said:
Poitato said:

Ha. I met a few that were racist as shit behind closed doors.
Apr 20, 2014 7:03 AM

Nov 2013
If it weren't for Teaboos we might not have Goth Loli since it's based off of the Victorian Era.
Apr 20, 2014 7:13 AM

Jan 2013
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
If it weren't for Teaboos we might not have Goth Loli since it's based off of the Victorian Era.

All hail the Teaboos.

Anyways a story for any teaboos out there to save you from the evils you've unleashed,

Wanna know how I got these burns? My father, was a drinker...and a fiend. And one night, he goes off craaaazier than usual. Mommy gets the tea kettle to defend herself. He doesnt like that. Not...one...bit. So, me watching, he takes the kettle to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me, and he says, "Why so English?" Comes at me with the kettle, "Why so ENGLISH?!". Sticks the kettle above my head and pours it, "Let's put a english accent to that scream." Aaaand, why so English?
Apr 20, 2014 7:22 AM

Mar 2012
I think it's more that Americans are pretty nasty too each other so they're surprised when people act normal.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Apr 20, 2014 7:26 AM

Feb 2012
lol almost all of my mates are obsessed with things that have connections to Britain. ^_^ So I've gotten used to it.

(Aussie here)

Apr 20, 2014 7:41 AM
Jan 2014
britain? I've heard that the food there is shit. And they still have constitutional monarchy, which is kind of the biggest joke in the history of mankind.

Tea is just water that pretends to be more, btw.
Apr 20, 2014 7:53 AM

Jun 2013
cabacc2 said:

Blasphemy. Tea is awesome.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Apr 20, 2014 7:55 AM
Jan 2014
cabacc2 said:

Why you hating on tea? Don't you like it's personalitea?
Apr 20, 2014 8:01 AM
Jan 2014
Infiche said:
cabacc2 said:

Why you hating on tea? Don't you like it's personalitea?

I think thats why I dont like it.
Its way too hypocriteacal for me.
Apr 20, 2014 8:07 AM

Apr 2007
Heh, between my username and the fact that I'm on this site you could say I have both (t|w)eaboo tendencies. I'm not American either, though, and I'm equally obsessed with American television shows.

So maybe I just hate my own country's culture (actually I just hate my own country's television shows) and like to seek out things that are foreign to me.
Apr 20, 2014 8:20 AM

Oct 2009
have them watch a cricket match and i bet thatll all change
Apr 20, 2014 8:30 AM

Apr 2014
ehhh I don't really see this go on at all, girls usually obsess over each other.
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 20, 2014 9:26 AM
Nov 2008
Objurgo said:
Heredity said:

I'm also Aussie, and I will say this: Middle easterners.
victorian edition: indians.
Apr 20, 2014 9:33 AM

Dec 2011
As a brazilian: #england #france #keepcalmandeurope
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2014 9:34 AM
Jan 2014
#sauerkraut #bockwurst
Apr 20, 2014 9:43 AM

Oct 2009
Nicole said:
I think it's more that Americans are pretty nasty too each other so they're surprised when people act normal.

Americans friendlier than UK.
Apr 20, 2014 9:54 AM

Feb 2010
gravityhappens said:

Didn't know that existed. It's probably 90% because of Sherlock.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 20, 2014 10:05 AM
Dec 2013
This is why I never go on tumblr anymore.
Apr 20, 2014 10:06 AM
Mar 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
gravityhappens said:

Didn't know that existed. It's probably 90% because of Sherlock.
It's because of sherlock and doctor who

RandomChampion said:
Nicole said:

Americans friendlier than UK.
I agree with this actually. I think Americans are some of the nicest people on the planet
Apr 20, 2014 10:34 AM

Mar 2012
I'm sick of Canaboos, personally. Damn people trying to act all Canadian. Make no mistake, I see right through you.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 20, 2014 10:43 AM

Feb 2013
What's so great here?
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Apr 20, 2014 11:05 AM

Mar 2014
There are people who actually want to act like Brits? Autism at its finest.
Apr 20, 2014 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
Sounds like some people taking it a bit too far. I love Skins, Harry Potter and a few other amazing things that have come from Britain but that's about where I draw the line.
Apr 20, 2014 11:24 AM
Jul 2018

Yeah, I see where you're coming from.

Except, I'm from Mexico and there isn't necessarily a term for people who are obsessed with Mexican culture.

Because we dangerous.
Apr 20, 2014 11:38 AM

Dec 2012
I'm tired of Humaboos, always trying to act like fucking human beings. Know your place, filthy curs (says that in the dark elf accent from Oblivion).
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» how do you complete assignments ? (school related)

sussybakagirl420 - Nov 6, 2023

12 by MyAssignment12 »»
1 minute ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

12 by IpreferEcchi »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

93 by ArabianLuffy »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » thoughts on social experiments?

deg - 4 hours ago

2 by deg »»
1 hour ago

» Is fanart cheating?

spaceslut - Mar 5, 2023

42 by dreamingneon »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.