Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime based on action with lots of gunfights is labelled battle?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 20, 2014 11:00 AM

Aug 2013
Yeah it would definitely be a waste of time.
Apr 20, 2014 11:19 AM

Mar 2014
RedRoseFring said:
He's an official troll. He'll just waste your time. Talking to a brick wall will give you the same effect (except the wall cannot regurgitate ignorance).

Hey hey! Can we at least get a little bit more creative and use other insults than the same boring troll insult? I'd appreciate if there was a little creativity, not un-creativity where generic insults are the norm. Oh wait, we're in an era where human beings love the most generic of things. Filthy things.

There's still superhuman punching in Naruto, only with added old school weapons. Just because there are weapons, doesn't mean they're not using their superpowers, heck most of them utilize their weapons with superpowers. You got the idea? Now come back and be a little more creative please when trying to insult, brick walls. Oh yes, its quite ironic you call me brick walls when tsud is trying to convince you that Mirai Nikki ain't a battle shonen just because shonen magazine and action but you don't give him a damn. Isn't that brick wall work? Shonen is a demographic. Action is a genre. Just because the demographic and one of its genres happened to be "shonen" and "action", doesn't mean its "'battle' shonen".
Tsun_PookaApr 20, 2014 11:28 AM
Apr 20, 2014 12:06 PM

Oct 2013
I dunno man. Maybe because they are fighting one another..
"Burn the heretics"
Apr 20, 2014 12:45 PM

Jun 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:
LOL then Bleach and Naruto are not battle shonen anime then because they are not about mindless superheroes punching each other .

Naruto IS about mindless superhumans punching each other... I never said it ain't.

How would you know that? Did you even watch Naruto?
There are fights like these as well, which also fits under the "life or death situation"(with a great amount of strategy) that you mentioned in the OP.

OT: On the topic of Mirai Nikki being a battle shounen, I wouldn't classify it as such entirely though something like Deadman Wonderland (advertised in Shounen Ace, just like Mirai Nikki) is closer to battle shounen if we go by the more common definition of one. Then again, I do see many similarities between DW and Mirai Nikki so there is also that to keep in mind such as the survival/death game type setting, supernatural powers (blood in DW, cellphones in Mirai Nikki) and a wimpy protagonist.

Apr 20, 2014 12:47 PM

Mar 2014
SolBlade said:

I watched Naruto a long time ago, along with the other overrated two. They helped me hate anime before I came back here and learned how to pick up the right genres. Yes I did.
Apr 20, 2014 12:51 PM

Jun 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
SolBlade said:

I watched Naruto a long time ago, along with the other overrated two. They helped me hate anime before I came back here and learned how to pick up the right genres. Yes I did.

Assuming you haven't seen much of the anime, you wouldn't have even seen any battle involving "mindless superhumans punching each other". Heck, I don't even remember there being any fights early on in the series (and the Bell Test doesn't count since the objective was different).

Apr 20, 2014 12:52 PM

Mar 2014
SolBlade said:
Lord_Pooka said:
SolBlade said:

Assuming you haven't seen much of the anime, you wouldn't have even seen any battle involving "mindless superhumans punching each other". Heck, I don't even remember there being any fights early on in the series (and the Bell Test doesn't count).

It just happened to be forced in my face just because my siblings at this time just discovered a channel that airs terrible anime, and it happened to be somewhere in the middle of Naruto... I'm sure as heck there's superhumans fighting each other mindlessly.
Apr 20, 2014 1:05 PM

Jun 2012
tsudecimo said:
''Shōnen manga is a popular demographic of Japanese comics, the most popular genre of which is battle manga which is generally about action/fighting but often contains a sense of humor and strong growing friendship-bonds between the characters.''
I think this is a far better definition of Battle Shounen than "mindless superheros punching eachother".

While I agree Mirai Nikki does not fit into the mold typically categorized as "battle shounen", I don't like seeing you trying to cherry pick whatever you can to prove that Mirai Nikki isn't a battle shounen while ignoring the fact that said sources do not align with your personal definition of the term "battle" shounen.

Honestly, if Bleach was just mindless superheros punching eachother, the past 30 chapters wouldn't be nearly as bad as they are.
Naruto, on the other hand, has something resembling sentient thought put into it's battles, with the current Madara fight it's really debatable but historically speaking Naruto hasn't been mindless whatsoever.
Apr 20, 2014 1:10 PM

Jun 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
SolBlade said:
Lord_Pooka said:
SolBlade said:

Assuming you haven't seen much of the anime, you wouldn't have even seen any battle involving "mindless superhumans punching each other". Heck, I don't even remember there being any fights early on in the series (and the Bell Test doesn't count).

It just happened to be forced in my face just because my siblings at this time just discovered a channel that airs terrible anime, and it happened to be somewhere in the middle of Naruto... I'm sure as heck there's superhumans fighting each other mindlessly.

It is an action anime so that is to be expected, though I can't exactly recall a scene that exactly fits your description unless you mean to say that every single fight in the series is like that as technically they are "superhuman" using Ninjutsu, though I wouldn't say that their fights are mindless. And even if that particular scene did seem like that, you're basically going to use a glimpse of an anime you claim to have "walked into" as evidence? It doesn't make much sense to do that especially since you saw a fight without the proper context which can make a huge difference.

Apr 20, 2014 1:14 PM

Mar 2014
SolBlade said:

It is an action anime so that is to be expected, though I can't exactly recall a scene that exactly fits your description unless you mean to say that every single fight in the series is like that as technically they are "superhuman" using Ninjutsu, though I wouldn't say that their fights are mindless. And even if that particular scene did seem like that, you're basically going to use a glimpse of an anime you claim to have "walked into" as evidence? It doesn't make much sense to do that especially since you saw a fight without the proper context which can make a huge difference.

I think I'll give you both that. My memories of Naruto are not as clear as my memories of watching three frames of Goku and Freiza punch each other repeatedly, sorry. So let's drop Naruto. DBZ and One Piece should still be able to stay as part of my personal definition of battle anime, as they did have mindless punching (and Luffy's stretching arms are enough evidence in One Piece).
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Your top 5 anime couples

Anjumhossain - Dec 12, 2022

41 by Otakupervert890 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

44 by Shirayukin »»
11 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

105 by mo_lave »»
15 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 59 minutes ago

4 by ryokoblue »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

41 by SnipeStrike »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.