Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime based on action with lots of gunfights is labelled battle?

New
Apr 19, 2014 3:13 PM

Mar 2014
I'm curious as to what made life or death situations in some anime where the action is all about policemen shooting gangsters or mafia are considered battle.

Battle anime as I grew up to know, is basically an anime where two superfights just punch each other and that's all what is there in said battle. If you're creative, you might try to make the enemy puncher invincible and leave a weakness point in the character that can be punched into, but that got overused to hell.

By this logic, action TV shows with policemen, FBI and the SWAT, etc, cornering a group of mass murderers with machine guns must end labeled as being a battle TV show. Though it should be labeled just action because you're not going superpower punching mode or super [insert skill here]

Care to explain why the likes of shooting action end up marked by the same label as superpower enemies fighting with their super bodies and nothing else?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 19, 2014 3:15 PM

Dec 2012
Lord_Pooka said:
I'm curious as to what made life or death situations in some anime where the action is all about policemen shooting gangsters or mafia are considered battle.

Examples?
Apr 19, 2014 3:15 PM

Apr 2014
Idk, maybe because they felt like it. Not sure.
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 19, 2014 3:18 PM

Jun 2012
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Battle =/= Supernatural or Superpower.

You're just misconstruing popularly misused terminologies.
Apr 19, 2014 3:24 PM

Nov 2012
I'm sure no one has any idea what you're on about. Even if they did, I don't see much of a discussion stemming from it anyway.
Apr 19, 2014 3:24 PM

Apr 2013
I'm pretty sure they're still battling.
an egomaniac and a fool

Apr 19, 2014 3:37 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Tons of historic war events are called battles and they are gun vs gun. A battleship doesn't have supernatural powers (irl) or engage in hand to hand combat. They still are ships that battle with artillery. "Gun battles" and "gun fights" are used constantly when talking about video games, war, gangs etc.

The oxford dictionary's definition of battle is: "a sustained fight between organized armed forces." Mafia, gangsters, cops, etc, all fit into that perfectly.
Apr 19, 2014 3:50 PM

Aug 2013
A gun is just another weapon, weapons are used for battle. PS. No matter what you say Mirai Nikki is a battle shonen anime .
DrGeroCreationApr 19, 2014 3:58 PM
Apr 19, 2014 3:55 PM
Oct 2011
The same reason ecchi is labeled as mature.
Apr 19, 2014 4:19 PM

Mar 2014
KingYoshi said:

The oxford dictionary's definition of battle is: "a sustained fight between organized armed forces." Mafia, gangsters, cops, etc, all fit into that perfectly.

So that means fights between mafia and policemen could be labeled as battles, but a fight between someone like a superhero who works for nobody and any villain who works by himself for himself, is not battle?

Candor said:
The same reason ecchi is labeled as mature.

I believe that mature is a category, then Yuri, yaoi, ecchi and hentai are all subcategories. Battle should only be a subcategory for action, and battle in anime referring to superhumans punching each other.
Tsun_PookaApr 19, 2014 4:23 PM
Apr 19, 2014 4:21 PM

Jul 2011
They are?, i never noticed
Apr 19, 2014 4:39 PM

Mar 2014
Fighting =/= battle.
Apr 19, 2014 4:41 PM

Aug 2013
Lord_Pooka said:
So that means fights between mafia and policemen could be labeled as battles, but a fight between someone like a superhero who works for nobody and any villain who works by himself for himself, is not battle?
Once characters are fighting it's considered a battle. Superpowers has nothing to do with it.
Apr 19, 2014 5:09 PM

Aug 2013
pLaguE_ said:
Fighting =/= battle.
Yes it does http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/battle Fight is a synonym for battle.
Apr 19, 2014 6:37 PM

Feb 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Mirai Nikki is a battle shonen anime .

wait wtf, that was a battle shonen?

Apr 19, 2014 6:52 PM

Aug 2013
NightmareFuel567 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Yes it technically is because it was published in a shonen magazine and action is one of it's main genres.
Apr 19, 2014 6:55 PM

Mar 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
NightmareFuel567 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Yes it technically is because it was published in a shonen magazine and action is one of it's main genres.

well dat settles it then.
Apr 19, 2014 7:00 PM

Aug 2013
AzuStar said:
DrGeroCreation said:
NightmareFuel567 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

well dat settles it then.
Um okay .
Apr 19, 2014 7:27 PM
Dec 2013
Emnay said:
I'm pretty sure they're still battling.

Could a monkey fight a man?
Apr 19, 2014 11:02 PM

Jan 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
No matter what you say Mirai Nikki is a battle shonen anime .
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 20, 2014 12:14 AM

Apr 2011
The answer is in your question: gunfights. As Gero said, fight is a synonym of battle and therefore, anything that has focuses on fighting can be considered as "battle" focused.
Apr 20, 2014 12:36 AM

Mar 2014
In the end, the shonentards raided this thread, brought up Mirai Nikki, and yet again categorized it in the same category as every crappy overrated three.

RedRoseFring said:
DrGeroCreation said:

No matter what you all say, Mirai Nikki isn't a battle shonen made for shonentards. Stop twisting the truth and making it look like a Naruto.

pLaguE_ said:
Fighting =/= battle.

Believe me guys, best comment ever in that entire thread which got ruled by shonentards saying that mafia shootings can be labeled with the same labels as DBZ, OP and Naruto, or in other words, "battle shonen"

I should've found another better anime site instead where its members know what's a battle shonen and what is not, not one who will say it is a battle shonen because "uhhh action is one of its genres and it was released in a shonen magazine, uhhh, because I don't care about the substance inside it that qualifies it to be a battle shonen like the super punching anime are!"
Apr 20, 2014 12:41 AM

Apr 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
RedRoseFring said:
DrGeroCreation said:

No matter what you all say, Mirai Nikki isn't a battle shonen made for shonentards. Stop twisting the truth and making it look like a Naruto.

So you're just gonna ignore the fact (i.e. undeniable truth) that Mirai Nikki was published in a Shonen magazine, meaning that it is, in fact, targeted at the same people that Naruto is targeted towards?

Oh, and are you also gonna ignore the fact that battle is, according to Oxford, a synonym for fighting?
Apr 20, 2014 12:43 AM

Mar 2014
Lord_Pooka said:
In the end, the shonentards raided this thread, brought up Mirai Nikki, and yet again categorized it in the same category as every crappy overrated three.

RedRoseFring said:
DrGeroCreation said:

pLaguE_ said:
Fighting =/= battle.

Believe me guys, best comment ever in that entire thread which got ruled by shonentards saying that mafia shootings can be labeled with the same labels as DBZ, OP and Naruto, or in other words, "battle shonen"

I should've found another better anime site instead where its members know what's a battle shonen and what is not, not one who will say it is a battle shonen because "uhhh action is one of its genres and it was released in a shonen magazine, uhhh, because I don't care about the substance inside it that qualifies it to be a battle shonen like the super punching anime are!"

e.e... even though the only reason Naruto and OP are battle shonen is because they have fights in them and were advertised in a shonen manga... just like Mirri Nikki

even though fights and battles are the same thing

you wrote that comment.
Apr 20, 2014 12:44 AM

Mar 2014
yhunata said:
Lord_Pooka said:
RedRoseFring said:
DrGeroCreation said:

So you're just gonna ignore the fact (i.e. undeniable truth) that Mirai Nikki was published in a Shonen magazine, meaning that it is, in fact, targeted at the same people that Naruto is targeted towards?

Wait, how is it a fact, wise guy?

Being in a magazine of... One of the four target audiences in Japan, with shonen being one, doesn't automatically make it targeted for the shonentards Naruto got. Stop making it look like a truth and a fact.
Apr 20, 2014 12:49 AM

Apr 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
yhunata said:
Lord_Pooka said:
RedRoseFring said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Being in a magazine of... One of the four target audiences in Japan, with shonen being one, doesn't automatically make it targeted for the shonentards Naruto got. Stop making it look like a truth and a fact.

Let's see; published in Shonen Ace, which according to Wikipedia (which does require sources and as such, are reliable), is a monthly Shonen magazine. MAL also labels Mirai Nikki a Shonen manga and you do realise that these are moderated? I'm not speaking opinions, buddy. These are undeniable facts.
Apr 20, 2014 12:52 AM

Mar 2014
Lord_Pooka said:
yhunata said:
Lord_Pooka said:
RedRoseFring said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Why are you so upset? I can visibly see tears rolling down your face. It's a Japanese cartoon, get the fuck over it.
Apr 20, 2014 1:06 AM
Jul 2018
YorozuyaGinSan said:
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Battle =/= Supernatural or Superpower.

You're just misconstruing popularly misused terminologies.

Funny that this post was ignored. If we take a quick look at a few of the definitions listed under the word battle:

a military fight between groups of soldiers, ships, airplanes, etc.

a violent fight in which people use weapons

Best way to explain it is this in my opinion; battle has a lot of meanings. Not solely limited to two super powered individuals duking it out. I sense this thread is a response to that whole Mirai Nikki is a battle shonen situation that sprung up in another thread. How interesting.
Apr 20, 2014 1:37 AM

Dec 2012
I'm still waiting for examples for those gun fights anime, that people consider ''battle shounen''.

DrGeroCreation said:
NightmareFuel567 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I don't know if you are joking or not. But Mirai Nikki doesn't fit in the made up term of ''battle Shounen''.
tsudecimoApr 20, 2014 1:40 AM
Apr 20, 2014 1:45 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
I'm still waiting for examples for those gun fights anime, that people consider ''battle shounen''.

DrGeroCreation said:
NightmareFuel567 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I don't know if you are joking or not. But Mirai Nikki doesn't fit in the made up term of ''battle Shounen''.
Care to elaborate. Why wouldn't Mirai Nikki be considered a battle shonen anime?
DrGeroCreationApr 20, 2014 1:59 AM
Apr 20, 2014 2:09 AM

Dec 2012
Because even in Japan the battle genre is something unofficial and not clearly defined.

''Shōnen (少年?), shonen, or shounen, is a kango word literally meaning few years and generally referring to a typical boy, from elementary school through grade school age. It is used in everyday conversation when referring to the period of youth, including in legal wording referencing youth, without regard to gender. Shōnen manga is a popular demographic of Japanese comics, the most popular genre of which is battle manga which is generally about action/fighting but often contains a sense of humor and strong growing friendship-bonds between the characters.''

Mirai Nikki has action and was published in Shounen magazine, that does not automatically make it a battle manga or fit the made up term of ''battle shounen''. I would also argue that it's main genre is thriller not action in the first place.

If action and being in the shounen demographic is all it takes for something to be considered a battle shounen then SAO, Noragami, Legend of the Legendary heros, Log Horizon, Full metal panic, Rosario to Vampire, Torau no railgun, Deadman Wonderland etc are all battle shounen.
Apr 20, 2014 2:13 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
Because even in Japan the battle genre is something unofficial and not clearly defined.

''Shōnen (少年?), shonen, or shounen, is a kango word literally meaning few years and generally referring to a typical boy, from elementary school through grade school age. It is used in everyday conversation when referring to the period of youth, including in legal wording referencing youth, without regard to gender. Shōnen manga is a popular demographic of Japanese comics, the most popular genre of which is battle manga which is generally about action/fighting but often contains a sense of humor and strong growing friendship-bonds between the characters.''

Mirai Nikki has action and was published in Shounen magazine, that does not automatically make it a battle manga or fit the made up term of ''battle shounen''. I would also argue that it's main genre is thriller not action in the first place.

If action and being in the shounen demographic is all it takes for something to be considered a battle shounen then SAO, Noragami, Legend of the Legendary heros, Log Horizon, Full metal panic, Rosario to Vampire, Torau no railgun, Deadman Wonderland etc are all battle shounen.
I actually do consider those you listed battle shonen anime with the exception of Rasario to Vampire. I consider that more of a mahou shoujo anime.
Apr 20, 2014 2:16 AM

Dec 2012
Well then you are stretching the term and making it even more broad.

The point is, Mirai Nikki is not a battle shounen like Naruto, OP, Bleach, Toriko, FT, etc.
Apr 20, 2014 2:17 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:

The point is, Mirai Nikki is not a battle shounen like Naruto, OP, Bleach, Toriko, FT, etc.
Why not? Do you consider Rurouni Kenshin a battle shonen anime or Shingeki no Kyojin?
Apr 20, 2014 2:18 AM

Apr 2011
tsudecimo said:

Log Horizon, Fullmetal Panic, SAO, Railgun and Legend of the Legendary Heroes aren't Shonen since LNs aren't given a particular demographic like manga.
Apr 20, 2014 2:19 AM

Dec 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
tsudecimo said:

Why not? Is Rurouni Kenshin a battle shonen anime?

What do you mean why not, I just explained it in the post above. I don't know I never watched/read that.
Apr 20, 2014 2:25 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
DrGeroCreation said:
tsudecimo said:

Why not? Is Rurouni Kenshin a battle shonen anime?

What do you mean why not, I just explained it in the post above. I don't know I never watched/read that.
No you actually didn't. You just stated what shonen means. Why is Naruto, OP, Bleach, Toriko, FT battle shonen anime but not Mirai Nikki?
Apr 20, 2014 2:25 AM

Apr 2011
Also, I forgot to add, but isn't Battle Shonen a term created by western fans? If that is the case, why would Japanese definition for the battle genre come into play? Also tsud, I'd say Noragami is a Battle Shonen considering the focus on "battles".
Apr 20, 2014 2:30 AM

Mar 2014
pLaguE_ said:

Why are you so upset? I can visibly see tears rolling down your face. It's a Japanese cartoon, get the fuck over it.

No you can't. If anything, I'd love if you stopped taking my posts into personal levels and to always think of me as that coffee gentleman, rather than a crybaby. Plus why would I cry out of asking people how just action anime are battle shonen? Get over these personal issues man. Plus the other guy got reported. Don't make me take you personally just like you did...

tsudecimo said:

It happens to be Mirai Nikki, in which half of its content is mostly gunfights.

Just because Mirai Nikki happened to be first published in a "shonen" magazine, and by shonen I mean its the demographic for guys in their youth period, as tsud pointed out, and just because it has action as a genre, doesn't mean instantly it should be in the same status as Naruto and what else. Heck, shonen is probably the biggest anime demographic in Japan, so why would making action for the big demographic end up as battle anime? And like tsud pointed out as well, a part I mostly forgot, its a psychological thriller before it was an action one. If none of the insane characters its got were picked into a survival game, there would've been no action.

Like tsud said, any anime which isn't about endless punching to death shouldn't be labeled with the same label as the same anime with endless punching to death.
Tsun_PookaApr 20, 2014 2:34 AM
Apr 20, 2014 2:36 AM

Dec 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
No you actually didn't. You just stated what shonen means. Why is Naruto, OP, Bleach, Toriko, FT battle shonen anime but not Mirai Nikki?

''Shōnen manga is a popular demographic of Japanese comics, the most popular genre of which is battle manga which is generally about action/fighting but often contains a sense of humor and strong growing friendship-bonds between the characters.''

What similarities can you draw between Mirai Nikki and what is commonly referred to as battle shounen. There is action and a shounen magazine and that's about it.

yhunata said:
Also, I forgot to add, but isn't Battle Shonen a term created by western fans? If that is the case, why would Japanese definition for the battle genre come into play? Also tsud, I'd say Noragami is a Battle Shonen considering the focus on "battles".

Actually that would make it easier if I went with the ''weaboo'' definition. Since battle shounen is considered long running anime that have friendship, battles and similar themes between them, which Mirai Nikki doesn't have. I disagree with that, there have been no real focus on battles in the anime, mostly comedy and building of the relationships between the main characters and exposition on the supernatural aspect.
Apr 20, 2014 2:36 AM

Aug 2013
@Lord_Pooka Is this a battle shonen anime? http://youtu.be/ZvY1SLw5ZKw

@tsudecimo Mirai Nikki does have action, humor and friendship.
Apr 20, 2014 2:40 AM

Dec 2012
Sure.

my god..
Apr 20, 2014 2:41 AM

Mar 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
@Lord_Pooka Is this a battle shonen anime? http://youtu.be/ZvY1SLw5ZKw

I'm not going to bother to see it. If its not just mindless superhero punching each other, then its not a battle shonen. End of the story.

@tsudecimo Mirai Nikki does have action, humor and friendship.

Tsud said that Mirai Nikki is a thriller before its action. There is a few humor, but as for friendship, there's not much to see about that. Most of the friends got killed anyways.

tsudecimo said:
Sure.

my god..

The reason that battle shonen is a too broad term would be just another reason why the only battle shonen I'll ever give a chance to would be DB Kai.
Apr 20, 2014 2:44 AM

Aug 2013
tsudecimo said:
Sure.

my god..
Also battle shonen anime doesn't automatically equate to long running. History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is 50 episodes and Shingeki no Kyojin is 25 episodes and are battle shonen anime.

Lord_Pooka said:
I'm not going to bother to see it. If its not just mindless superhero punching each other, then its not a battle shonen. End of the story.
LOL then Bleach and Naruto are not battle shonen anime then because they are not about mindless superheroes punching each other .
DrGeroCreationApr 20, 2014 2:53 AM
Apr 20, 2014 3:24 AM

Apr 2013
Damn, why didn't I check this thread earlier?

I got a couple of laughs from OP trying so hard to make Naruto sound stupid (which is understandable) and then defending Mirai Nikki.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 20, 2014 3:37 AM

Mar 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
LOL then Bleach and Naruto are not battle shonen anime then because they are not about mindless superheroes punching each other .

Naruto IS about mindless superhumans punching each other... I never said it ain't.
Apr 20, 2014 10:03 AM

Aug 2013
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Naruto IS about mindless superhumans punching each other... I never said it ain't.
Oh yes the only form of combat in Naruto is punching. Ninja weapons (kunias, shurikens ,swords) , Genjutsu are never used in combat in Naruto it's just punching and more punching.
Apr 20, 2014 10:12 AM

Apr 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Oh yes the only form of combat in Naruto is punching. Ninja weapons (kunias, shurikens ,swords) , Genjutsu are never used in combat in Naruto it's just punching and more punching.

Can you tell me something? Why are you even bothering anymore?
Apr 20, 2014 10:17 AM

Aug 2013
yhunata said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I don't even know myself. It's obvious nothing I say will get through to him.
Apr 20, 2014 10:50 AM

Jan 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
yhunata said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Lord_Pooka said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I don't even know myself. It's obvious nothing I say will get through to him.

He's an official troll. He'll just waste your time. Talking to a brick wall will give you the same effect (except the wall cannot regurgitate ignorance).
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

40 by redorzo »»
3 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

64 by Sorachin »»
6 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

31 by Meusnier »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

92 by dayooooon »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

35 by phantom346 »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.