Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 19, 2014 2:50 PM

May 2008
Haven't seen anything about this, so...

For the last few days, I haven't been able to use the drop-down menus (as in the profile, anime, manga, community and industry menus). When I hover over them, nothing appears.

On my lists, I'm also not able to use anything related to the episode number picker or the rating. Again, nothing happens when I click on them.

To edit anything I have to go click "edit", which, instead of appearing in a pop-up like it usually does, takes me to another page.

It's not a browser issue, as I've tested it on both my computer and my iPod, and it's not working on either of them.
Apr 19, 2014 3:14 PM

Oct 2009
It looks like javascript doesn't work for you.
Although everything works fine for me, you are not the first user to encounter javascript problems in the past few days. I wouldn't be surprised if MAL broke yet another thing recently
It's a wild guess and unlikely one, but do your computer and iPod share the same Wi-Fi network by any chance? Maybe router incorrectly cached some piece of MAL, and that's why it doesn't work on any device for you
SerhiykoApr 20, 2014 12:47 AM
Apr 19, 2014 9:25 PM

May 2008
It does seem to be Javascript.

I've tried clearing my cache, but that hasn't worked either.

It's a wild guess and unlikely one, but do your computer and iPod share the same Wi-Fi network by any chance? Maybe router incorrectly cached some piece of MAL, and that's why it doesn't work on any device for you

They do, actually. Hadn't thought of that. Any way I can clear the router cache? I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to things like this...
Apr 19, 2014 9:27 PM
Mar 2011
Zazie122 said:

I've tried clearing my cache, but that hasn't worked either.

They do, actually. Hadn't thought of that. Any way I can clear the router cache? I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to things like this...

reset it to factory settings
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 20, 2014 12:44 AM

Oct 2009
Zazie122 said:

Does your Javascript work on other sites?

Zazie122 said:
They do, actually. Hadn't thought of that. Any way I can clear the router cache?

Well it depends on the router you have and its settings.

FGAU1912 said:
reset it to factory settings

Well yeah, that may work. But again, I am not sure it's the cause, it was just a guess
SerhiykoApr 20, 2014 12:49 AM
Apr 20, 2014 2:14 AM

Jan 2009
Do you have some script blockers like NoScript and such?
If yes, I would recommend allowing myanimelist.net, craveonline.com and jquery.com for starters. Be sure to manually reload the page so that the (temporary) whitelist will surely take effect.

I don't know what clearing "the router cache" is supposed to do and whether it is possible (sounds ridiculous to me), but for most network related problems, it's enough to plug it out from the electricity for a few seconds than to plug it again or to change wireless settings or to temporarily test a wired setup.
But again, I don't know about any options restricting or bugging Javascript in the router settings.

edit: It would be worth a try to test another browser on your computer. I guess all the mobile ones have nowadays problems in the first place.
Apr 20, 2014 6:06 AM

May 2008
Does your Javascript work on other sites?

Yes, it seems to.

Do you have some script blockers like NoScript and such?
If yes, I would recommend allowing myanimelist.net, craveonline.com and jquery.com for starters. Be sure to manually reload the page so that the (temporary) whitelist will surely take effect.

No, I don't. The only extension I have installed that'd affect MAL is AdBlock (I'm on Chrome.)

edit: It would be worth a try to test another browser on your computer. I guess all the mobile ones have nowadays problems in the first place.

Just tried FireFox, which doesn't work either.
Apr 20, 2014 6:21 AM

Jan 2009
Zazie122 said:
Just tried FireFox, which doesn't work either.

On a fresh profile with no extensions? What about Internet Explorer or Opera?

Any problems with browser hijackers, toolbars or adware in general? You might check with adwcleaner and/or Junkware Removal Tool
+ Malwarebytes
(disable the rootkit scan in case you make a full custom scan on version 2 or add the PUP/PUM reporting/detecting- options in the settings for version 1.75)
Apr 20, 2014 6:30 AM

May 2008
^I never use FF, so I had no extensions or anything installed.

I tried disabling all my extensions in Chrome and that didn't work either.

I don't seem to be having any issues with Java (or anything else, for that matter) on sites other than MAL, so I'm assuming it's something on their end...
Apr 20, 2014 9:20 AM

Jan 2009
I don't have any problems with Javascript (Java is something entirely different) at all, so I guess it might be IP-related if it's not a general problem for you.
Let's see: I'm from Germany and I guess, any (Western-)Europe and North American IP should have the least problems in any restrictions. I haven't even seen the captchas anymore since yesterday.
It might be worth a shot to try a German, British, French, US-American or Canadian Proxy to see if if it helps.

edit: Or it might be a routing problem in general, so maybe a VPN could help, too.
Or another DNS server.
Apr 23, 2014 7:34 AM

May 2008
Okay, I'm still having issues with this. I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing seems to be working.

It's really fucking annoying. I can't change episode numbers or tags without clicking "edit", which takes me to another page instead of the popup. I also can't add anything to my lists because the "Add to my list" function is also JavaScript based. Nor can I use things like quick reply, quote, etc.

Usually I'd just use iMAL but the API's fucked so that doesn't work either. Sigh.
Apr 23, 2014 10:24 AM

Jan 2009
What about Mal Updater?
Make sure to update it first.
Apr 23, 2014 2:10 PM

May 2008
I have a Mac so I can't use MAL Updater.
Apr 23, 2014 2:18 PM

Jan 2009
Why didn't you mention such important details earlier?

Can't you borrow/use/build/buy some cheap computer with Windows or at least Linux on it?

Not that in the end it's only a bug for Apple products.

More topics from this board

» Why does MAL not support catbox.moe image links?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

1 by traed »»
3 hours ago

» Got 502 Bad Gateway trying to create topic in Support

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

0 by vasipi4946 »»
Yesterday, 3:00 PM

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3366 by Midoriya_lzuku »»
Yesterday, 2:57 PM

» Invalid ID provided.

Zagafon - Sep 10, 2016

2 by Kitsunes97 »»
Yesterday, 9:24 AM

» Sort your list by member count/poularity?

paperkitten - Jun 17, 2010

1 by abdallah929 »»
Yesterday, 7:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.