Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 22, 2014 10:59 PM

Oct 2012
Stardust Crusaders was Araki at the height of his game IMO.

The art was fantastic, the stand battles (past the first couple of volumes) were ingeniously written while at the same time easy to follow and not convoluted by overly complex powers, the humor was side-splittingly hilarious, the protagonists were all likeable, and the men were still manly rather than thin and effeminate.

Parts 2 and 4 are really close for me, but Part 3 I think has the most of the best strengths going for it.
fluffybunnyboyApr 22, 2014 11:04 PM
Apr 23, 2014 11:49 AM

Apr 2014
Akanezora said:
Dragonage2ftw said:
Actually,

That's good, can't wait to have the game in my hands. Just waiting for the US release in a few days.

I can't wait to play it either.

However, I have to say,

Also

I don't know what to make of that part of his quote. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it just seemed odd to me when

Apr 23, 2014 4:14 PM

Apr 2008
fluffybunnyboy said:
Stardust Crusaders was Araki at the height of his game IMO.

Don't think so. Araki was at his best for Diamond is Unbreakable. This is the part where the characters are the most accomplished. There just has to see all the one-shot came out after the part 4.
Apr 23, 2014 8:37 PM

Feb 2013
fluffybunnyboy said:
the stand battles (past the first couple of volumes) were ingeniously written while at the same time easy to follow and not convoluted by overly complex powers

gedataApr 26, 2014 9:34 AM
Apr 23, 2014 9:46 PM
Dec 2013
FYI: ASB character popularity poll

http://i.imgur.com/hbOrLTL.jpg
Apr 23, 2014 9:59 PM

Jun 2009
namihei said:

Is that seriously Jonathon at number 1? Definitely not what I expected...
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 23, 2014 10:56 PM

Nov 2011
insan3Spectre said:
namihei said:

This is an oooooold poll. I think the part 1/2 anime was still airing. So Jonathan was in the spotlight from the anime (though you would think Joseph would win over Jonathan -shrug-)
Apr 23, 2014 11:07 PM

Jun 2009
Fadeout4 said:
insan3Spectre said:
namihei said:

This is an oooooold poll. I think the part 1/2 anime was still airing. So Jonathan was in the spotlight from the anime (though you would think Joseph would win over Jonathan -shrug-)

Ah, yeah, I was wondering if maybe the 2012 anime had something to do with the results. The poll being done during the anime would almost definitely influence the results. Perhaps it was done while part 1 was still airing? It's tough to imagine Joseph losing out to Jonathan.

Would have thought Jotaro would be higher as well.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 23, 2014 11:15 PM
Dec 2013
^ That results were compiled on June 19, 2013 (the count period from June 10 to June 17.)
namiheiApr 23, 2014 11:32 PM
Apr 24, 2014 1:21 AM

Apr 2008
Fadeout4 said:
insan3Spectre said:
namihei said:

Jonathan is good character for fighting game. Not really, Jojo was know by everyone in Japan. The manga is already in part 8. This was a rank for the tournement with the IA.
Apr 24, 2014 7:45 PM

Oct 2012
gedata said:

Plot doesn't even matter with Jojo to me all that much. Araki is not as equally a master storyteller as he is a master fight choreographer. I'd even go so far as to say that "the plot" is the weakest aspect of Araki's works, although I know that just saying that is bound to get some knee-jerk angry reactions from other Jojo fans.

fluffybunnyboyApr 24, 2014 7:57 PM
Apr 24, 2014 7:56 PM

Jun 2012
Fadeout4 said:
insan3Spectre said:
namihei said:

I don't think that has anything to do with it, if that were the case, Josuke and Kira would be about the middle and Giorno and Jotaro would be quite higher. And it would be odd for William Anthonio Zeppeli to be in second last place above only Akira.

That's a poll for best character as a part of the game, Jonathan is an extremely versatile playset as opposed to someone like Gappy whom is in the bottom 10 despite being the current protagonist.

No surprises in the bottom 7 though.
Apr 24, 2014 8:03 PM

Oct 2012
Oh, and as for that ASB poll:

Jonathan is the most Ryu and Ken-like character in ASB (with a fireball/DP/tatsu-type special move combination), so of course he was going to end up being the most popularly played character. He's the easiest character for newcomers to pick up, play, and immediately know what they're doing.
Apr 26, 2014 9:35 AM

Feb 2013
why is Will so low? He's pretty cool
Apr 26, 2014 3:31 PM

Jun 2010
My official ranking:
4>7>6>5>2>3>1

Most enjoyable: Part 4. Great villain, imaginative stands (even if they didn't all work) and overall just very entertaining.
Best art: Part 7. Don't think anyone will contest that mid to late SBR is just gorgeous to look at. Story is well written too.
Favourite story: Part 6. Jolyne is easily my favourite JoJo. The conflict between her and her allies and the main villain is completely compelling, with the highlight being between Weather Report and Pucci.
WandererReduxApr 26, 2014 3:38 PM
Apr 27, 2014 9:01 PM

Oct 2012
The_Redux said:
Favourite story: Part 6. Jolyne is easily my favourite JoJo. The conflict between her and her allies and the main villain is completely compelling, with the highlight being between Weather Report and Pucci.

Apr 27, 2014 9:03 PM

Jun 2012
fluffybunnyboy said:
The_Redux said:

B-B-B-BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SNAILS!

I love how Pucci

gedata said:
why is Will so low? He's pretty cool
Akira Otoishi is lowest and he can use electricity.

Fucking electricity, he's cool damnit!
Apr 27, 2014 9:10 PM
Oct 2010
I think this part is pretty weak so far because Jotaro is lame.
Apr 27, 2014 9:12 PM

Jun 2012
skudoops said:
Jotaro was alot more of an authoritative figure in 4 and 6, I feel that's where his character really shines.
He didn't get much screentime in Stone Ocean though, would of liked to see a lot more of he and Jolyne.
Apr 27, 2014 10:00 PM

Oct 2012
skudoops said:

Jotaro is quite a jerk in the early chapters. I like him a bit better as Part 3 goes on, though.

He never becomes as interesting as Joseph in Part 2, but at least he becomes more of a quiet and determined Clint Eastwood-y type, once he's away from berating his own mother.
Apr 28, 2014 12:42 PM
Oct 2010
YorozuyaGinSan said:
skudoops said:
Jotaro was alot more of an authoritative figure in 4 and 6, I feel that's where his character really shines.
He didn't get much screentime in Stone Ocean though, would of liked to see a lot more of he and Jolyne.

Well I think he isn't as quirky as Joesph and not as likable as Jonathan so I can't really get on board with his character. I can relate well to the stern silent personality but in a show about being ridiculous it kinda kills the mood.

I think another thing (I mentioned it before I think) is that the supporting cast isn't as strong, even with Joesph there. I really hope that guy you all told me about lives up to Speedwagon or at least Stroheim. Those two were hilarious as hell!
Apr 28, 2014 1:13 PM

Aug 2012
Stone Ocean. This part was so good that i couldn't describe my feeling XD

And

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Apr 29, 2014 12:00 AM

Oct 2012
skudoops said:
I can relate well to the stern silent personality but in a show about being ridiculous it kinda kills the mood.

Nah, it actually works in Jojo's favor eventually. We just haven't gotten to the fights where it does yet.

Give it time, and you'll see.
Apr 30, 2014 5:05 PM

Jun 2010
fluffybunnyboy said:
The_Redux said:

WandererReduxApr 30, 2014 5:09 PM
May 2, 2014 1:08 PM

May 2013
Kira's story arc is the best thing in Jojo. Every part is awesome though.
May 2, 2014 4:23 PM

Oct 2012
The_Redux said:
fluffybunnyboy said:
The_Redux said:

fluffybunnyboyMay 2, 2014 4:30 PM
May 2, 2014 5:11 PM

Jul 2010
SO is like that, or you hate it or you love it. I'm the latter, but that's just me.
May 3, 2014 10:09 AM

Oct 2007
Part 4 and 7 take the cake for me.

If you really enjoy mystery/action/suspense thrillers you'll really like Part 4. It reminded me a TON of Persona 4 in terms of setting, characters, and stands(like being the personas). It's where I thought Araki went really hit his drive with making set piece fights, and incredibly interesting stands.

Part 7 is just as good as everyone says it is. It feels like a complete story not restrained to being in a weekly magazine. Also I'm a big history nerd, so having a part take place in the wild west made it much more enjoyable with the atmosphere. Like when it got to meeting Mountain Tim my inner fanboy was screaming.
May 3, 2014 10:45 AM

Oct 2012
Sakata-san said:
Part 7 is just as good as everyone says it is. It feels like a complete story not restrained to being in a weekly magazine. Also I'm a big history nerd, so having a part take place in the wild west made it much more enjoyable with the atmosphere. Like when it got to meeting Mountain Tim my inner fanboy was screaming.

I don't feel like SBR is a complete story, considering Araki left questions about the origins of the story completely unanswered, such as:

Also, I kinda don't like some other parts of the story, like

Even worse was how Araki handled the ending, being like
May 3, 2014 11:07 AM

Jul 2010
fluffybunnyboy said:
Sakata-san said:

I don't feel like SBR is a complete story, considering Araki left questions about the origins of the story completely unanswered, such as:

Also, I kinda don't like some other parts of the story, like

Even worse was how Araki handled the ending, being like

SBR is complete, everything else you want to know is just your personal wish.
May 4, 2014 5:21 AM
May 2014
Non stop fighting is only appealing to children or creepy friendless people who think like them. Phantom Blood's early parts, part VII and VIII were the only times I felt Jojo had any legitimate progression. Always had clever fights of course, but that doesn't really express anything. I imagine Araki was pleased to be done away with the constraints of writing for an audience of kids in his move to a seinen schedule, since East of Eden (a dramatic novel aimed at older people) inspired Jojo's generation by generation structure.
hellcraneMay 4, 2014 5:26 AM
May 4, 2014 5:57 AM

Jun 2009
hellcrane said:
Non stop fighting is only appealing to children or creepy friendless people who think like them.

Wait, did you join the site just to share this amazing piece of insight with us? Because THANK YOU for spending your precious time with us, if you did.
May 4, 2014 8:02 AM

Jul 2010
hellcrane said:
Phantom Blood's early parts, part VII and VIII were the only times I felt Jojo had any legitimate progression.

That goes against any possible logic.
May 5, 2014 8:05 PM

Oct 2012
I guess if I had to do the "Parts Ranking" thing, mine would be

3>4>2>5>7>1>6

And I mostly place 3 over 4 just because its artwork on the whole is better. Part 4 had that awkward transitional period where nearly all the guys go from buff to femmy, and the noses become increasingly more angular, but in a way that was really weird looking at first. @_@
May 5, 2014 8:34 PM

Jun 2009
I think 6 (from what I've read) will end up being my favorite by the time I end it. The fights have been very consistently well done, I really like Pucci as a villain, and Jolyne is almost definitely my favorite protagonist in the series with my favorite Stand of all the Jojo's. I think one issue I have is that the supporting cast, aside from maybe Annasui and Hermes, aren't as good as 4's. Kira is probably still my favorite villain as well.

Keep in mind I'm only at chapter 118, so who knows how things will turn here on out for me.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 6, 2014 1:01 AM

Oct 2012
hellcrane said:
Non stop fighting is only appealing to children or creepy friendless people who think like them. Phantom Blood's early parts, part VII and VIII were the only times I felt Jojo had any legitimate progression. Always had clever fights of course, but that doesn't really express anything.

Lol, if you say so, man.

I'm surprised that you don't have Stone Ocean also on your list, since Jonathan and Jolyne are the only two Jojo's that I feel have strongly-defined character arcs - they both become entirely different people by the end of their adventures than they were at the very beginning, and you can really see and believe how they develop and change over time.

It's just a shame that almost nothing else in their respective parts is actually superior to any others.
May 6, 2014 6:18 AM

Jul 2011
fluffybunnyboy said:

3>4>2>5>7>1>6

I think this is the first time I've seen someone post the exact same order I have.

Although to be honest I have a hard time deciding whether or not it's really 3 or 4 I liked the most, both were incredible and miles above the rest for me. Although Kira was definitely my favorite part, I loved the entire thing and thought Akira's arc was great as well. His artwork is most appealing to me in 2-4, the more feminine looking stuff has never grown on me and I love the thick lines that define his early works. I've been planning on reading 4 again shortly.
May 6, 2014 9:00 AM
May 2014
fluffybunnyboy said:
hellcrane said:
Non stop fighting is only appealing to children or creepy friendless people who think like them. Phantom Blood's early parts, part VII and VIII were the only times I felt Jojo had any legitimate progression. Always had clever fights of course, but that doesn't really express anything.

Lol, if you say so, man.

I'm surprised that you don't have Stone Ocean also on your list, since Jonathan and Jolyne are the only two Jojo's that I feel have strongly-defined character arcs - they both become entirely different people by the end of their adventures than they were at the very beginning, and you can really see and believe how they develop and change over time.

It's just a shame that almost nothing else in their respective parts is actually superior to any others.

I haven't read that far in the original universe and honestly that's more of an advertisement for me to do so than anything else you've said about the other parts. Like for all the anger you direct at aspects of it I don't give a fuck about, the one decent thing is a hugely important characteristic.

One thing I don't like about part III is Jotaro = pointless. Besides berating his mother he exhibits very few aspects of a punk's lifestyle and Dio has no link to him, only his blood. He never says anything interesting. Dio's relationship was forever and always with Jonathan.
hellcraneMay 6, 2014 9:04 AM
May 6, 2014 11:35 AM

Jul 2011
hellcrane said:
Jotaro = pointless
Dio has no link to him, only his blood.

Sounds like you missed episode 3, and possibly the point of the journey to unfold.
KellhusMay 6, 2014 11:43 AM
May 6, 2014 12:01 PM

Jul 2010
@hellcrane: Jotaro is my least favorite JoJo, but saying he's pointless is just stupid.
Also are you really saying he doesn't act as punk? Did you even read Part 3 dude?

Dio's relationship is with every Joestar since they are the nemesis of Dio. Jonathan and Dio were just the triggers. Or should I remember you why Dio despises Joestar's bloodline?
May 6, 2014 12:18 PM

Feb 2013
hellcrane said:
He never says anything interesting

nah his one liners are pretty great
May 6, 2014 12:26 PM

Oct 2012
May 6, 2014 12:44 PM

Jul 2010
Malaria said:
Badass.

Friends of Justice too.
May 6, 2014 1:00 PM

Jun 2009
Based Jotaro.

I can't even remember the context of Akanezora's link.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 6, 2014 1:07 PM

Dec 2012
Wow. I'm surprised to learn that some people don't like Jotaro or think he is lame and unlikable.

It's only been 5 episodes but I definitely like him more than the previous two protagonists. I think he is charismatic and I like the stoic look. I do like his stern silent personality, with him being thoughtful, caring and kind heart'd in the inside. The character design, the poses, the voice actor, how every girl has a crush on him. I pretty much like everything about him so far.
May 6, 2014 1:49 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I'm reasonably sure that Jotaro is one of the more popular "Jojo's". Personally, he's my third favorite after Jolyne and Josuke. Though, to add some context, the only protagonist I don't like is Jonathan. Though I'm kind of indifferent to Giorno, a certain teammate of his really overshadowed him, imo.

But, yeah, tsudecimo I pretty much agree with you regarding Jotaro.

edit: Also, I'm curious about what was Araki's favorite part to work on. I wonder if he ever said anything like this?
Ston3_FreeN7May 6, 2014 2:03 PM

- Geralt of Rivia
May 6, 2014 2:15 PM

Jul 2010
insan3Spectre said:
Based Jotaro.

I can't even remember the context of Akanezora's link.

May 6, 2014 2:36 PM

Jul 2011
@tsudecimo
It's good to hear some positive thoughts about Jotaro in light of all the negativity. He is probably my favorite character throughout the entire series. If you are enjoying him so far, you'll be happy to hear he only continues to get better and has many unforgettable moments. For fans of stoicism and badassery, Jotaro is surely the best.

@insan3Spectre
Well, there is this that shows Araki's favorite characters that hints towards part 4 being possibly being ⌜his favorite⌟, but it's also outdated being only up to part 5.
May 6, 2014 2:40 PM

Oct 2012
I think a truly great character is one that doesn't write manga for fame or money.

And doesn't cheat while playing dice.
May 6, 2014 3:21 PM

Oct 2012
Kellhus said:
fluffybunnyboy said:

3>4>2>5>7>1>6

I think this is the first time I've seen someone post the exact same order I have.

Although to be honest I have a hard time deciding whether or not it's really 3 or 4 I liked the most, both were incredible and miles above the rest for me. Although Kira was definitely my favorite part, I loved the entire thing and thought Akira's arc was great as well. His artwork is most appealing to me in 2-4, the more feminine looking stuff has never grown on me and I love the thick lines that define his early works. I've been planning on reading 4 again shortly.

Agreed. I miss the old strongly inked style and the macho guys as well. When my mind thinks of what Jojo looks like, it always pictures parts 1-3 more often than it does 5-8.

The feminine guys did grow on me, but if I could have the muscle men back again, I totally would.

hellcrane said:
I haven't read that far in the original universe and honestly that's more of an advertisement for me to do so than anything else you've said about the other parts. Like for all the anger you direct at aspects of it I don't give a fuck about, the one decent thing is a hugely important characteristic.

Eh, I don't know that I would call it a strong advertisement for it purely as a story. It's just one unique thing that Stone Ocean does that most other Jojo parts don't. Stone Ocean is still mostly wall-to-wall monster of the week fighting like the parts that came immediately before it.

insan3Spectre said:
Though, to add some context, the only protagonist I don't like is Jonathan.

I don't get how people can dislike Jonathan, either. The guy is so full of over-the-top 80's hot-bloodedness that it's hard for me to not love him. Practically every single memorable line he says is both electrifying and infinitely quotable.

"NANI O SURU DA?!?! YURUSAN!!!"
"SAKU DE WA NAI!!! YUUKI DA!!!"
"BOKU NI WA TATAKAU RIYUU GA ARU!!!!"
"FURUERU ZO HAATO!! MOETSUKIRU HODO HIITO!! KISAMU ZO, KETSUEKI NO BIITO!!! SANRAITO IEROO OOBAADORAIBUUU!!!!!!!"

He's not the most well-written character, but I can remember more of his lines than I can with Giorno and Jolyne, so he does have that going for him.
fluffybunnyboyMay 6, 2014 3:29 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2014

132 by JosVoogt21 »»
Apr 20, 6:46 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Akanezora - May 9, 2014

167 by fgowy »»
Apr 13, 11:37 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2014

159 by HilariousPerson »»
Apr 9, 8:34 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Akanezora - Sep 12, 2014

276 by Will_Keisuke_ »»
Mar 27, 6:11 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 16, 2014

217 by OVERJRIVE »»
Jan 23, 5:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.