Forum Settings
Forums

Is it possible for someone to be out of your league?

New
Apr 18, 2014 2:12 PM
Apr 2011
Now that I got my goofy question out of the way, I can ask something that is more relevant.

I'm curious to know whether you think that it is truly possible for someone, guy or girl, to be out of someone's league.

This is relevant to my life since there is a girl that I'm interested in, but everyone seems to tell me that she is out of my league. She's too beautiful, too caring, too compassionate..to be with a goofball like me.

I'm the amateur philosopher/scientist/bed lurker/dreamer/ anime indulger...while she's the paradigmatic popular gorgeous, nice to everybody, studying broadcasting,cheerleader image.

I never use to think about a person being "socially" superior to another, and I still don't have an opinion on it now, but so curious to see what others think.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 18, 2014 2:12 PM

Oct 2009
yogotah said:
Now that I got my goofy question out of the way, I can ask something that is more relevant.

I'm curious to know whether you think that it is truly possible for someone, guy or girl, to be out of someone's league.

This is relevant to my life since there is a girl that I'm interested in, but everyone seems to tell me that she is out of my league. She's too beautiful, too caring, too compassionate..to be with a goofball like me.

I'm the amateur philosopher/scientist/bed lurker/dreamer/ anime indulger...while she's the paradigmatic popular gorgeous, nice to everybody, studying broadcasting,cheerleader image.

I never use to think about a person being "socially" superior to another, and I still don't have an opinion on it now, but so curious to see what others think.

she cant be out of your league if she doesnt exist

nom sayin
Apr 18, 2014 2:13 PM

Mar 2014
Yes but if you mention you watch anime, it will bring you up to high tier level.
Apr 18, 2014 2:15 PM

Dec 2013
mclovinballz said:
Yes but if you mention you watch anime, it will bring you up to high tier level.

Anime master race
You can have a relationship with anyone if it works out.
Apr 18, 2014 2:16 PM
Jan 2014
No, you can date whoever you want. Some people simply just aren't interested in you. When people say "she's out of your league" tell them to GTFO. Get some balls and ask her out and see how t hings fare.

If she rejects you then shove it off and better luck next time.

I'm a fabulous person who has dated average girls so its kk.
Apr 18, 2014 2:16 PM
Apr 2011
RandomChampion said:
yogotah said:

she cant be out of your league if she doesnt exist

nom sayin

She definitely has flaws, nobody's perfect. But you can appear to be perfect to the general public.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Apr 18, 2014 2:17 PM

Apr 2014
I don't think anyone could be "out of our league" If two people with different interests like each other, then why hold back if one person is more than the other
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 18, 2014 2:17 PM

Dec 2013
No not really, though it is possible for someone to not be suited for you.
Apr 18, 2014 2:18 PM

Apr 2014
No. I see a lot of couples that make absolutely no sense to me. All I can say is well played.

Then again if she doesn't like you she might as well be out of your league.
Apr 18, 2014 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
I see it more as people having higher or different standards that they look for in a significant other. Not everyone will fit into everyone's ideal match as a result. More often then not, someone's surface demeanor may hide a very different character deep down. A few of my friends are like that. They appear a certain way around groups but they aren't as they're perceived in private. What if she has a thing for intellectuals, science, photography or one of your other areas you listed? Get to know her first, the real her that she probably displays in private, then you can more accurately say if there is a chance or not.
Apr 18, 2014 2:26 PM
Apr 2011
Aylaine said:
I see it more as people having higher or different standards that they look for in a significant other. Not everyone will fit into everyone's ideal match as a result. More often then not, someone's surface demeanor may hide a very different character deep down. A few of my friends are like that. They appear a certain way around groups but they aren't as they're perceived in private. What if she has a thing for intellectuals, science, photography or one of your other areas you listed? Get to know her first, the real her that she probably displays in private, then you can more accurately say if there is a chance or not.

This is true. People are more complex than the image they put out in public. She's already a good friend of mine, and does enjoy some of my interest.

I think what I'm wondering the most about is that even if two people are compatible, is it possible for their social status to be so different that they cannot possible be together without it becoming a great strain?
-Albert Camus

Apr 18, 2014 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
Lol no. Dating isn't a caste system
Apr 18, 2014 2:38 PM

Sep 2012
yogotah said:

Now tell me how the hell that would work out.
Apr 18, 2014 2:40 PM
Jan 2014
Litrydow said:
yogotah said:

Now tell me how the hell that would work out.

Chloroform, basement and ropes?
Apr 18, 2014 2:41 PM

Dec 2013
Endycia said:

Chloroform only works in the movies, if you try to smother someone in the real world there's a good chance you'll kill them. Also can take up to around 5 minutes of inhaling to knock a person out. Stick with the ruffies.
AstrosApr 18, 2014 2:57 PM
Apr 18, 2014 2:41 PM

Apr 2013
Not personally, no. But maybe for you people.
I love naruto~kun he's my husbando~~~~
Apr 18, 2014 2:42 PM

Jan 2013
Who cares what other people say. If you like her, go for it.
Apr 18, 2014 2:43 PM
Jan 2014
Astros477 said:
Endycia said:

Chloroform only works in the movies, if you try to smother someone in the real world there's a good chance you'll kill them. Stick with the ruffies.

How about knocking them out with a tranquilizer gun or a baseball bat to the head?

Aug 2009
I only play in the Negro league, so, whatever.

♪I only like black girls and brown girls, the café au lait! Caramel girls, and mocha girls just blow me away!♪

Oct 2009
anyway OP

anybody has the potential to be in your league if you have the means to influence the central nervous system of the target in the necessary ways. Ex - rewire the neurons in target's brain

however, not everyone necessarily has the means to influences the CNS in such ways to put them in the league

the fact of the matter is that you dont know the situation and you should do some investigation - aka go talk to her or something. there is such a thing as her bing out of your league with the means you have, but you cant know at the moment.
Apr 18, 2014 2:44 PM

Oct 2009
btw what's a bed lurker that sounds mad shady....im interested
Apr 18, 2014 2:46 PM

Dec 2013
Endycia said:

How about knocking them out with a tranquilizer gun or a baseball bat to the head?

Wrong dosage of tranquilizer will stop the heart killing the person. Also you aren't guaranteed how long the person will be out. Baseball to the head will most definitely knock them out, but again no idea how long. Probably just as equal a chance of killing or greatly disabling them.
Apr 18, 2014 2:50 PM
Dec 2013
RandomChampion said:
Sapewloth said:
RandomChampion said:
yogotah said:

She definitely has flaws, nobody's perfect. But you can appear to be perfect to the general public.

wtf, my mom told me im perfect. u calling my mom a liar?

Yes. Basically.

Logged in just to say that.

my mom would never lie to me

Of course she would, she was lying about Santa and the Easter bunny as well. The hard truth.
Apr 18, 2014 2:50 PM

Oct 2012
RandomChampion said:

You break into people's house, hide under their bed and when they fall asleep you...
Apr 18, 2014 2:52 PM

Dec 2013
Pralando said:
RandomChampion said:

You break into people's house, hide under their bed and when they fall asleep you...

That's lewd
Apr 18, 2014 2:53 PM

Oct 2009
Less competition is always a good thing.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 18, 2014 2:53 PM

Oct 2009
NarTaco said:

Of course she would, she was lying about Santa and the Easter bunny as well. The hard truth.

im brown there was no santa or easter bunny. only threats of getting sent to boarding school
Apr 18, 2014 2:55 PM

Oct 2009
Pralando said:
RandomChampion said:

steal their teddy bear and replace it with a picture of your grinning face right

Sep 2013
It's more like I'm out of everyone's league.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.

Nov 2013
I do not think so. But they might not at first want to get to know each other if they think the person is out of their league or not good enough.
Apr 18, 2014 2:57 PM
Apr 2011
RandomChampion said:
anyway OP

anybody has the potential to be in your league if you have the means to influence the central nervous system of the target in the necessary ways. Ex - rewire the neurons in target's brain

however, not everyone necessarily has the means to influences the CNS in such ways to put them in the league

the fact of the matter is that you dont know the situation and you should do some investigation - aka go talk to her or something. there is such a thing as her bing out of your league with the means you have, but you cant know at the moment.

I didn't give the full scenario out in the OP, but we are close, and she is giving signs of interest ( as in texting me regularly, eating dinner with her, studying together, etc..). However, a lot of people around me are saying that these signs are benign, and shouldn't be taken seriously due the difference in our social status. Which is weird since I used to belong in such social atmosphere but gave it up to hang out with "geekier" kids, who turned out to be the best friends that one can ask for.

I'm pretty sure that I'll end up asking her out, but I'm curious about this whole "league" thing....never heard of it until recently.
-Albert Camus

Apr 18, 2014 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
yogotah said:
This is true. People are more complex than the image they put out in public. She's already a good friend of mine, and does enjoy some of my interest.

I think what I'm wondering the most about is that even if two people are compatible, is it possible for their social status to be so different that they cannot possible be together without it becoming a great strain?

That depends wholly on how important social status is to both people. If it's a non issue, then it will be a non issue but if either person is worried what others may think or say regarding the relationship, then difficulties will likely develop as a result. As an example, my first boyfriend was considered popular. I, on the other hand, was pretty much opposite. Mostly kept to myself, or planted flowers, or other quiet activities. Upon getting together, a few of his 'friends' disapproved of me for the sole reason that I wasn't in their clique. My boyfriend paid no heed to the naysayers, because "My real friends will accept who I am with as long as she makes me happy". Thus it depends on how she sees social status.

I wish more people had that mindset. Other people should be non factors because it's A: not their business, B: not their feelings and C: not their place to judge in my opinion.
Apr 18, 2014 3:03 PM

Nov 2013
Aylaine said:

Actually this is a good advice. You should follow as said.
Apr 18, 2014 3:04 PM

Feb 2013
That's usually true, but there are always people who like to have a ugly boyfriend/girlfriend.
I'm one of those who avoid something ugly.
Apr 18, 2014 3:06 PM

Dec 2013
yogotah said:
RandomChampion said:
anyway OP

I didn't give the full scenario out in the OP, but we are close, and she is giving signs of interest ( as in texting me regularly, eating dinner with her, studying together, etc..). However, a lot of people around me are saying that these signs are benign, and shouldn't be taken seriously due the difference in our social status. Which is weird since I used to belong in such social atmosphere but gave it up to hang out with "geekier" kids, who turned out to be the best friends that one can ask for.

I'm pretty sure that I'll end up asking her out, but I'm curious about this whole "league" thing....never heard of it until recently.

I'd give it shot. You'll only end up regretting it later if you don't
Apr 18, 2014 3:06 PM

Jul 2012
i'm not sure "out of my league" is really an appropriate term for this kind of stuff

people come together for lots of reasons, only sometimes, or rarely, b/c someone is just simply more awesome than them.

if you have similar interests, well, thats pretty key. don't look down on yourself, look up and see if you can find yourself in her. what about you would make you valuable to her and her life?
Apr 18, 2014 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
yogotah said:

Good luck when you do. I would honestly be cautious because friendly people can give off the wrong impression to people who like them. As in, "shes so nice to me, and we do things, maybe she likes me?" from here, the idea will grow within the other person as their feelings grow, but should the other persons intentions be purely platonic, it will hurt that much more because of false hopes. Basically, be mindful of your feelings. Clearly though, the people who said the signs shouldn't be taken seriously at all may be the types who go by social status above other factors. In the end it's up to you, but I must agree with others that if you don't ask, the chances of you regretting it will be high.

Even if you are rejected, at least you had the courage to ask her, to put your feelings on the line and show someone you were interested in them. Plus the old saying rings true: you will never know until you ask.
Apr 18, 2014 3:25 PM

Sep 2011
Yeah, for instance whenever I ask one of the mods out they always say no and tell me to get on their leveljk
Apr 18, 2014 3:33 PM

Sep 2013
Get to know her and see for yourself if there's any hope for a relationship.Take a chance. Live and learn. The league system is in reference to an individual's lifestyle and personality compatibility with others. Your "advisers" don't think things will work out based on what they know about the two of you.
Apr 18, 2014 3:53 PM

Jul 2013
mclovinballz said:

What is this negative connotation that comes with watching anime? That you are somehow some kind of pussy because you like watching moe girls or something like that?
Apr 18, 2014 3:56 PM

Jul 2013
Astros477 said:

I agree with this.

There isn't really anyone that is out of your league. But from your OP, when you compare yourself to a girl like that there's probably going to be a large gap in your interest and personality.

So it's not the case that she is out of your league because she is uber pretty and you're not. But it is the case that it is not meant to be between the two of you because you are two entirely different people.
Apr 18, 2014 4:25 PM
Apr 2011
Soren333 said:
Astros477 said:

I agree with this.

There isn't really anyone that is out of your league. But from your OP, when you compare yourself to a girl like that there's probably going to be a large gap in your interest and personality.

So it's not the case that she is out of your league because she is uber pretty and you're not. But it is the case that it is not meant to be between the two of you because you are two entirely different people.

I also don't think the gap is a physical one, ugly versus pretty (I'm actually a geek stuck in a jock's body), it's more of a social gap. I hang out mostly with gamers, anime watchers, chess players, etc...while she hangs out with the football team clique, cheerleaders, etc...

We do share similar interest, but according to some, if someone is 'out of your league' then it doesn't matter how compatible you are, that gap will keep you from being together. Social pressures are devastating sometimes.

I've gotten mix views in this thread, most are saying to go for it, while some do say that there is a standard that dictates your league. It's interesting, and I wonder the correlation with that and social activities.

I'm really bad at keeping secrets. So I'll have to tell her I like her very soon, or she's going to find out anyway.

-Albert Camus

Apr 18, 2014 4:28 PM
Jan 2014
Man I'm not even going to bother reading all these walls of text but from what you've wrote, go for it. She seems interested, social status doesn't matter in love unless she's a snob or you're a snob.

"out of your league" A phrase used by those who don't even try.

Can speak from experience since I've always dated girls who were "equal or lower" in social status but that never stopped me from dating them.
Apr 18, 2014 4:37 PM

Dec 2012
No one's out of reach when you slip sleeping pills in their drinks.
Apr 18, 2014 4:42 PM
Apr 2014
she's just a level 84 paladin, you just need to keep power leveling. Then invite her to your clan so she can be in your league.
hagow siumai
Apr 18, 2014 4:44 PM

Nov 2013
Yes someone can be out of your league, but that aside no one says you can't try to win over any girl, but you might not succeed.
Apr 18, 2014 4:48 PM

Aug 2013
Implying I'm not top tier girlfriend material?

But really, if you can interact with them regularly, they're in your league
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Apr 18, 2014 4:51 PM
Mar 2013
Not when you're as good looking as me
Apr 18, 2014 4:53 PM

Jun 2012
How I long to meet someone up to my league.
Apr 18, 2014 4:57 PM

Jul 2013
yogotah said:
Soren333 said:
Astros477 said:

I agree with this.

I also don't think the gap is a physical one, ugly versus pretty (I'm actually a geek stuck in a jock's body), it's more of a social gap. I hang out mostly with gamers, anime watchers, chess players, etc...while she hangs out with the football team clique, cheerleaders, etc...

We do share similar interest, but according to some, if someone is 'out of your league' then it doesn't matter how compatible you are, that gap will keep you from being together. Social pressures are devastating sometimes.

I've gotten mix views in this thread, most are saying to go for it, while some do say that there is a standard that dictates your league. It's interesting, and I wonder the correlation with that and social activities.

I'm really bad at keeping secrets. So I'll have to tell her I like her very soon, or she's going to find out anyway.

Yh definitely more of a social gap.

But I would have to disagree with when you say " if someone is 'out of your league' then it doesn't matter how compatible you are, that gap will keep you from being together".

I can understand why you think this, but you shouldn't let that prevent you from at least trying to go out with her.

But wait, why do you like her? Are you even friends with her?

If you like her just based on appearance then no, don't ask her out. Get to know her first.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

97 by Ex-Aid »»
53 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

669 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

41 by ShimmyShimmur »»
3 hours ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by R-unknown »»
4 hours ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Today

23 by Rhaelynne »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.