Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think makes a character Good or Bad?

New
Apr 18, 2014 4:56 PM

Oct 2013
They're good if they're interesting and have good development. They're bad if they're boring. For two unrelated examples, I can excuse an evil, sadistic jerk like Dio because he's brilliantly written. He's OP, sure, but he's got a fleshed-out personality and backstory to make up for it. On the other hand, Naruto's boring, he's handed all of his power-ups, and he's a borderline Gary Stu at this point. He's just not at all interesting, so he's a bad character.
Apr 18, 2014 5:09 PM

Nov 2012
A lot of people seem to think that character development is needed to make a character good. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the least important factors. If the character's personality is interesting and their motivations for completing certain objectives are well defined, we'd never care about character development. It seems Code Geass realised this and we got Lelouch, one of the most charismatic characters in all of anime yet he's got almost no development throughout the show.
Apr 18, 2014 5:11 PM

Jun 2009
Miraclezify said:
Lelouch, one of the most charismatic characters in all of anime yet he's got almost no development throughout the show.

I'm not quite a fan of CG... Nor do I find Lelouch charismatic...

But... No development he says...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2014 5:12 PM

Apr 2013
As long as they're not annoying.
an egomaniac and a fool

Apr 18, 2014 5:14 PM
Jan 2013
Depends how cute the girls are. Super cute girl = good character.

Any male character is automatically a bad character.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2014 8:51 PM

Aug 2013
The only thing that comes to mind affecting the good/bad ratio is: character development. If you like a character naturally you're gonna wanna know more about them, and if it isn't provided in length then you won't be fully satisfied with them. I'm gonna assume that that's where fanfic comes in.
Apr 18, 2014 8:55 PM

Jan 2014
Someone already said it, but simply how they fit into the story. Character development, change, personality etc all come secondary to that.
a one-dimensional character can fit into their story better than a 3D one. Heck, a character doesn't even need lines. Just look at R2D2.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 18, 2014 9:04 PM

Jul 2012
OneOpinion said:
What makes a character well-written in your opinion. Is a good character simply likeable or should they stand without appealing to the audience? Should a character serve a purpose in the anime or does that really matter? Should all characters be well-developed with detailed backstories? Should characters be realistic or is there a place for the untainted hero? Should a character be original or is it ok to be a little cliché?

Inversely what makes a bad character?

The reason why I am starting this thread is because I see a lot of people labeling characters as ‘shitty’ or amazing and I can’t help but feel like they are just looking at them through rose/thorn covered glasses.

Guilty Crown Spoiler

Apr 18, 2014 9:05 PM

Mar 2014
I like characters that fit well in the anime and have some/a lot of development.

Or one that I'm emotionally attached to in some way.
Apr 18, 2014 9:13 PM

Mar 2014
Good character= simple yet makes us feel smart enough when we understand them

bad character = when you have to think to understand them. to busy reading text :V
Apr 18, 2014 9:13 PM

Mar 2014
AzuStar said:

bad character = when you have to think to understand them. to busy reading text :V

So thinking=bad?
Apr 18, 2014 9:31 PM

Dec 2013
Good Characters = I think about them days/weeks after finishing the series.
Bad Characters = I forget everything about them.
Apr 18, 2014 9:37 PM

Mar 2014
Hulmy said:
Any male character is automatically a bad character.

What about traps?
Apr 18, 2014 9:40 PM

Aug 2012
A character is good when I say it's good. A character is bad when I say it's bad. Whether you believe me or not is a completely different story.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 18, 2014 9:41 PM

Mar 2014
pLaguE_ said:
AzuStar said:

So thinking=bad?

No, thinking to much. having to analyze the whole story for details in whatever they do. too much work for people. if you can't understand while watching, the character is too much work, therefore bad.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Putting aside the trolling, i don't think that there is a character outside School Days (this B*tch) that is BAD. but i think the best characters are ones that look in simple and complicated thought (Like Goku... i think)
AzuStarApr 18, 2014 9:48 PM
Apr 18, 2014 9:42 PM

Mar 2014
AzuStar said:
pLaguE_ said:
AzuStar said:

So thinking=bad?

No, thinking to much. having to analyze the whole story for details in whatever they do. too much work for people. if you can't understand while watching, the character is too much work, therefore bad.

I'm guessing you hated Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Apr 18, 2014 9:43 PM

Mar 2014
AzuStar said:
pLaguE_ said:
AzuStar said:

So thinking=bad?

To each their own I guess.
Apr 18, 2014 9:49 PM

Mar 2014
pLaguE_ said:
AzuStar said:
pLaguE_ said:
AzuStar said:

So thinking=bad?

gammit.... i knew my troll wasn't obvious :U
Apr 18, 2014 9:51 PM

Mar 2014
AzuStar said:
pLaguE_ said:
AzuStar said:
pLaguE_ said:
AzuStar said:

So thinking=bad?

That was supposed to be trolling?
Apr 18, 2014 9:56 PM

Mar 2014
pLaguE_ said:
AzuStar said:
pLaguE_ said:
AzuStar said:
pLaguE_ said:
AzuStar said:

So thinking=bad?

That was supposed to be trolling?

yes. ._. i'm not good at it.
Apr 18, 2014 10:04 PM

Mar 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
tsudecimo said:
Arbitrary reasons.

+1
Apr 18, 2014 10:50 PM

Apr 2014
Wh1t3 said:
AirStyles said:
Wh1t3 said:
AirStyles said:
Wh1t3 said:
A good character is not an idiot.

A bad character is an idiot.

But... Sometimes, idiots can be good MC too.
haven't met one yet :/

Watch Kobato.
Will do

Luffy is a clear example..
Apr 18, 2014 10:53 PM

Sep 2012
Good characters are ones that you care about.

If you don't care about the main character, well, the entire story kind of loses its effect.
Apr 18, 2014 11:03 PM

Mar 2012
Red_Keys said:

If you don't care about the main character, well, the entire story kind of loses its effect.
But people usualy care more about side character than main character.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 18, 2014 11:29 PM

Apr 2014
good character for me is just the synchronize between the character style and voice actor i mean like a char that tend to lose his calmness easily is better have a bass-like voice actor that shout a lot.
Apr 19, 2014 12:47 AM

Mar 2014
NeoAnkara said:
Red_Keys said:

But people usualy care more about side character than main character.

Not in DBZ
Apr 21, 2014 5:38 PM
Mar 2013
Development during the series

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 3 hours ago

25 by EpicO4 »»
22 seconds ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

27 by InsomniacBastard »»
2 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

12 by Luchipher-Zen »»
5 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

100 by FFandMMfan »»
9 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

59 by Luchipher-Zen »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.