Forum Settings
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 17, 2014 10:02 AM

May 2013
Right, I'd like a few things answered/discussed.

Firstly, I was disappointed with the Anime. Maybe because Makoto Shinkai is my favourite director, and I expected something brilliant.

However, I think it's the Anime itself that was the problem. It felt rushed, the second episode felt pointless, and it didn't even feel like the endings to Makoto's works normally do. There was no sadness there or any kind of bittersweet feeling.

So, does the Manga explore things more?

Does it have a 'complete' ending? By that, I mean does it end well? Regardless of whether it's sad or happy, because I expect it to be sad. The ending of the Anime just felt really, really empty. The last episode didn't really do anything other than jack off my eyes.

Basically, in short, should I buy it? Is it different from the Anime? Will I suffer the same disappointment?

If there's anything unclear, please do ask. I don't want to end up disliking this. Currently, the Anime, if considered a movie, is my least favourite movie.

And if you're wandering why I'm not reading it online, it's simple. If it's licensed, I'll buy it. I hate reading online.

If the Manga doesn't change at all, then I won't buy it, really.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Apr 19, 2014 2:36 PM

Jun 2008
I loved the anime and loved the ending, so with everything your telling me I might not be the best person to answer your question but I'll give it a shot.

The book is pretty much the same as the anime with some slight additions. For starters we get a little bit deeper in Takaki and Risa's relationship. In the anime it felt really rushed and honestly it didn't talk much about Risa or who she was. But the book gives her character depth and emotion. She becomes actually quite important and becomes a big turning point in Tohno's life.

The story doesn't end where the anime ends. It goes in a bit further actually letting Sumida (the girl in the second episode) have the last word. I'm not going to spoil the ending for you but I doubt you will like it if you hated the anime ending. I don't see how you will like the manga ending. I thought both endings where great.

So I don't know, you might want to skip it if you didn't really like the anime.

But I will say this, I felt like they handled the final scene with Tohno and Akari really well in the book. It feels a lot more emotional if you ask me. It got me in the heart strings.
Testament956Apr 19, 2014 2:40 PM
Apr 19, 2014 2:44 PM

May 2013
Testament956 said:
I loved the anime and loved the ending, so with everything your telling me I might not be the best person to answer your question but I'll give it a shot.

The book is pretty much the same as the anime with some slight additions. For starters we get a little bit deeper in Takaki and Risa's relationship. In the anime it felt really rushed and honestly it didn't talk much about Risa or who she was. But the book gives her character depth and emotion. She becomes actually quite important and becomes a big turning point in Tohno's life.

The story doesn't end where the anime ends. It goes in a bit further actually letting Sumida (the girl in the second episode) have the last word. I'm not going to spoil the ending for you but I doubt you will like it if you hated the anime ending. I don't see how you will like the manga ending. I thought both endings where great.

So I don't know, you might want to skip it if you didn't really like the anime.

But I will say this, I felt like they handled the final scene with Tohno and Akari really well in the book. It feels a lot more emotional if you ask me. It got me in the heart strings.

I didn't really hate it.

I was just annoyed with how rushed it seemed. It also felt a little like it was trolling you.

Thanks for the reply! I will buy it although I'm not in a rush to.

Even if I end up not being fond of it, it's still a great edition to my collection, right?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Apr 20, 2014 7:05 AM

Jun 2008
I think you will like it in all honesty because if the anime felt rushed the manga goes at a slower pace. It's a thick book too! So it's worth every penny.
Apr 20, 2014 7:43 AM

May 2013
Testament956 said:
I think you will like it in all honesty because if the anime felt rushed the manga goes at a slower pace. It's a thick book too! So it's worth every penny.

Thanks a lot. I'll definitely get it.

It had something silly like 600 pages.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub

More topics from this board

» Ending of manga vs anime?

R_TF - Jun 18, 2016

25 by hoangviet81193 »»
Nov 19, 2023 2:43 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 6 Discussion

Zinvy - Jul 11, 2011

13 by ku_po_po »»
Nov 8, 2023 2:22 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JK - Aug 1, 2011

59 by Euroqean »»
Oct 14, 2023 8:24 PM

» Can I read this first?

removed-user - Mar 2, 2021

1 by AnzaiJiro »»
Sep 17, 2021 2:48 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Chapter 10 Discussion

JK - Jul 27, 2011

22 by Chinmayeemuni »»
May 23, 2021 1:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.