Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 16, 2014 11:12 PM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
dmrch said:
Shakkin-shitsuji said:
I really have a lot to learn with kanji....
Thank you for the answer!

You're welcome. But I had to explain more about it. Sorry.
Maybe, the artist himself designed that the title "棺姫" is read as "Hitsugi".
All of native speakers of Japanese can read it as "Hitsugihime", but cannot read it as "Hitsugi".
That pronunciation about it would be only in this work. Don't worry about your kanji skill with this title!

Ah, you are starting to reach the "oh dear god" stage of reading Kanji, which generally happens when you realize that NO ONE in Japan really knows how to read Japanese names until they hear them. That is why so many animation has the person say which Kanji their name has when they say their name. The only reason why most Japanese can read most names is solely because of experience.

Basically one has to remember that Kanji are not phonetic, they are ideograms. It is the idea, not the sound that is important. 棺姫 means Coffin Princess, however since that is not exactly a word that people speak, until the writer explains how to read it, no one in Japan could pronounce it with any degree of accuracy.

That the writer focuses on the reading of coffin and ignores the reading for princess (which is what the two characters mean), is probably the writer expressing a subtle emphasis. The "coffin" is more essential than the "princess". It also forms an ambiguity, the title based on kanji meaning would be "Coffin Princess Chaika"", but since the reading has only coffin, if one were to read it aloud, without the seeing the kanji, the title would be "The Coffin's Chaika", not "the Coffin Princess Chaika".

Based on how this story has developed, I have no doubt that this was the writer's intent. Reading the title "the Coffin's Chaika" suggests a lot of different things doesn't it? But it gets lost in the translation.

This is what makes Japanese such a rich language full of subtlety, but it is also something that drives people schooled in any phonetic language bat crazy (myself included).

I know the feeling. When I was studying Japanese in college, trying to learn kanji was such a headache. I always butchered it because one subtle mistake writing kanji essentially gives it a whole new meaning.
Apr 16, 2014 11:20 PM

Mar 2012
Several things to take away from this episode, most of which has already been stated.

1. Man, this has some of the best action scenes in an anime I've seen in a while. I get tired of anime that keep resorting to "overpowering spells/special moves" in order to win. It seems like Toru and Akari resort to good old-fashioned outwitting your enemy in battle. I'm still interested in what exactly the "Iron-Blood Transformation" specifically is supposed to do though.

2. "Chaika? Yes, Chaika. Chaika." I don't even know how to respond to this exchange, other than it made me chuckle. Then again, I can't really fault it because I know I've said some things in moments where I don't even know why I said it, so...kudos to Bones? *shrugs*

3. Looks like the plot is finally starting to take off and make some semblance of sense. I didn't get a good feel for this anime after the first episode, but this one seemed to hit a little harder in the plot department. I have a good feeling about this one. I like the plot and I like the characters.

4. Are the protagonists actually antagonists or anti-heroes? You have to wonder about a MC that states that he doesn't mind war.

Overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying the characters and the plot. It still needs some development but so far, I can live with what still needs to be explained. This is quite an exciting series so far.
Apr 16, 2014 11:30 PM

Apr 2011
a main character who actually doesn't mind war ? damn, haven't seen that in ages (or actually ever).
Apr 16, 2014 11:41 PM

Dec 2013
Another Male lead that seems to be pretty good, more of an anti-hero type of guy.
I would put this so far probably the 5th best anime I'm watching this season but that isn't an indictment on the series because this season is so jammed pack with so many great animes so far.
Apr 17, 2014 12:04 AM

Jul 2013
finally, i have a MC who wants to start a war for the lulz
Just an anime fan, doing what an anime fan does
Apr 17, 2014 12:44 AM

Dec 2013
KHRoxas said:
not really sure how i feel about this anime yet, it hasn't exactly captivated me so far, an okay episode, definitely enjoying the BA MC, but the rest was a little meh

+1

The action sequences are excellent, the fighting styles are natural and fluid, and they don't just nail each other with over-powered special moves/spells one after the other until someone decides to pull an even stronger one out of their ass. So, that part I'm enjoying.

However, the rest is just meh. Bleh. Not a whole lot jumping out to grab me here. Chaika is annoying, can't really say anything else about her, she's just annoying. Plot... Well, they're just starting to introduce the plot, so I can't say much. Characters outside the main three? Wait, what characters? Everyone except the main three have been cardboard cut-outs, they all talk the same and think the same. They have no life or personality of their own. They appear, serve their purpose, and then you forget about them until they appear again.

I'll give this one another episode or so, probably a couple unless next week is just horrible. But, it seems like this is the second series this season to be added to the "may be dropped" list.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Apr 17, 2014 12:45 AM

Jul 2013
Akari: "Chaika?"
Chaika: *nods head* "Yes. Chaika"
Akari: "Chaika"
Umm.. lolwut?
So her real name is Chaika Gaz.. daughter of Emperor Gaz.
Dodging the food cart felt extremely pointless. >_>

Eh, so the Tooru wants war. heh, this'll be interesting.
Apr 17, 2014 1:17 AM

Mar 2012
Something tells me that Chaika is being used like a puppet for someone else, she may actually believe and intends to do just like she said to put her father in his resting place but i think it is actually a scheme put by somebody else to either revive the king or to gain his infinite power. This is supported by the intro in the beginning of the series.

A Mc that actually wants a war? lol this is a first in any anime series defiantly an interesting plot twist.

There is flare of mystery and suspicion in this show an di like the fact it is toying with us of who is actually right or wrong, i will keep watch
Apr 17, 2014 1:23 AM
Oct 2010
SandyBoi said:

Dodging the food cart felt extremely pointless. >_>

I thought this as well, I figure that scene was to show either

1. How skillful a driver she was or
2. That they are such "good" people that they will dodge the cart rather than run it over and break it or
3. She may have thought he rigged something on it so she moved out of the way as a precaution..

Basically I just made excuses for them so I would ignore the scene lol
Apr 17, 2014 3:51 AM

May 2013
Sooo the two siblings decided to join Chaika and yeah the two are baddass at some points.

Its kinda meh that the government (sort off) misunderstands Chaika and her motives. Why?
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 17, 2014 4:17 AM

Sep 2012
SweetCoconut said:
Sooo the two siblings decided to join Chaika and yeah the two are baddass at some points.

Its kinda meh that the government (sort off) misunderstands Chaika and her motives. Why?

Well it's not as much as they misunderstand than it is about her lineage in general. The idea is probably to kill the king and all successors to the throne.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Apr 17, 2014 5:24 AM

May 2010
Cool action. He was being extremely selfish there. Bring war just because he is bored and he is fine with it? What about others? Man, think about them too.

Overall, good episode.
Apr 17, 2014 5:42 AM

Mar 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
dmrch said:
Shakkin-shitsuji said:
I really have a lot to learn with kanji....
Thank you for the answer!

You're welcome. But I had to explain more about it. Sorry.
Maybe, the artist himself designed that the title "棺姫" is read as "Hitsugi".
All of native speakers of Japanese can read it as "Hitsugihime", but cannot read it as "Hitsugi".
That pronunciation about it would be only in this work. Don't worry about your kanji skill with this title!

Ah, you are starting to reach the "oh dear god" stage of reading Kanji, which generally happens when you realize that NO ONE in Japan really knows how to read Japanese names until they hear them. That is why so many animation has the person say which Kanji their name has when they say their name. The only reason why most Japanese can read most names is solely because of experience.

Basically one has to remember that Kanji are not phonetic, they are ideograms. It is the idea, not the sound that is important. 棺姫 means Coffin Princess, however since that is not exactly a word that people speak, until the writer explains how to read it, no one in Japan could pronounce it with any degree of accuracy.

That the writer focuses on the reading of coffin and ignores the reading for princess (which is what the two characters mean), is probably the writer expressing a subtle emphasis. The "coffin" is more essential than the "princess". It also forms an ambiguity, the title based on kanji meaning would be "Coffin Princess Chaika"", but since the reading has only coffin, if one were to read it aloud, without the seeing the kanji, the title would be "The Coffin's Chaika", not "the Coffin Princess Chaika".

Based on how this story has developed, I have no doubt that this was the writer's intent. Reading the title "the Coffin's Chaika" suggests a lot of different things doesn't it? But it gets lost in the translation.

This is what makes Japanese such a rich language full of subtlety, but it is also something that drives people schooled in any phonetic language bat crazy (myself included).

Thank you. That's what I wanted to tell about it.

I want to add something into it: There's a possibility that the writer decided the title also by a pronunciation. "Hitsugi no chaika" has more catchy sound than "Hitsugihime no chaika" in Japanese. To be honest, pronunciation of "Hitsugihime" is troublesome. And "Hitsugi no chaika" is very comfortable to pronounce in Japanese because it has seven syllables.
Apr 17, 2014 6:40 AM

Jul 2010
I guess she will talk like this forever ...
Meh episode, nothing special really. I'm disappointed so far. I hope that the journey will bring more an adventure-feeling which I particularly like.
Apr 17, 2014 6:45 AM

Jan 2011
the tank driver got skills, Gillette is too nice guy, Toru and Akari are quite cool

7 more lords to go?
Apr 17, 2014 7:00 AM

Aug 2008
TragicRomance said:
Cool action. He was being extremely selfish there. Bring war just because he is bored and he is fine with it? What about others? Man, think about them too.

Overall, good episode.
you kitten me right now? are you kiddin me right meow?

this guy doesn't care about others lol.
Apr 17, 2014 7:02 AM

Aug 2013
Chaika very kawaii, like the way she talks
I also like the personality of Akari
episode was full of action
by the way will remain so
high expectations in this anime
________

Chaika muito kawaii, adoro o jeito como ela fala
também gosto da personalidade de Akari
episodio foi cheio de ação
pelo jeito irá continuar assim
grandes expectativas neste anime
Apr 17, 2014 7:26 AM

Aug 2013
He must of had a thousand swords in his house for just that occasion.
My Candies:
Apr 17, 2014 8:15 AM

Jun 2013
Dem knives and swords and cupboards flying around LOL
Akari's pretty cool. (smashing everything in the room lolol)

On a side note, my jaw dropped when i saw the interval screen, it's too beautiful omg
Apr 17, 2014 10:37 AM

May 2012
Much better than episode 1

This season is full of good anime
Apr 17, 2014 11:25 AM

Aug 2008
"Chaika?"
"Yes, Chaika."
"Chaika."

what
Apr 17, 2014 12:09 PM

Mar 2013
Badass MC!!
Saboteur + fine with war + just to kill boredom = Awesome!!
Was it really necessary for the tank to dodge that cart?!? It's not like the tank would have toppled over or something...
Apr 17, 2014 12:54 PM

Sep 2013
Awesome fight scene and seriously, that wooden tank is awesome.
Apr 17, 2014 1:12 PM
Feb 2013
JoksPacifist said:
Starting to like the series, espcially the action scenes.
But we will really have Chaika speaking like that until the end ?

I hope so.
She's really cute :)
Apr 17, 2014 2:30 PM
Nov 2013
I knew the story was gonna have to carry this one since the animation isn't nearly as clean in eye-grabbing as other current Bones works, and it's definitely doing a lot of things rights in terms of writing with only a few hiccups here or there

Definitely looking forward to where they take this one
Apr 17, 2014 4:18 PM

May 2013
Chaika speaking how she does is the best part of the anime so far.
Apr 17, 2014 4:32 PM

Jan 2014
The action in this show is amazing, I like it. I love Chaika too, people say the way she talks is odd, but I find it cute ^__^
Apr 17, 2014 5:44 PM

May 2007
This show could actually be pretty good if Chaika could just shut her mouth.
Apr 17, 2014 5:47 PM
Aug 2013
Now, obviously the question is, "Is Gaz really evil?"

I mean it's blatantly obvious that he's going to get resurrected once his body is in one piece again, that's for certain. But, is it Chaika that's deluded by filial piety, or everyone else who's deluded by propaganda and history-written-by-the-victors?

My money is currently on "totally evil", based on the fact that Chaika just wants to bury him and therefore isn't knowingly complicit in him getting rezzed, therefore he's more likely to be a horrible person who no-one wants back.
You are not the king of your brain. You are the creepy guy standing next to the king going "a most judicious choice, sire" - Steven Kaas
Apr 17, 2014 7:20 PM

Oct 2013
background on that mysterious one word using character chaika is good.

that fight scene was acutally really cool. one of the coolest scenes i have seen in terms of fight choreography.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Apr 17, 2014 7:35 PM

Jul 2012
Okay, I think I'll like a little information for Chaika's broken speech.

Chaika's mission is to collect the emperor's remains but she doesn't know what that will mean. She seems to be very naive and uninformed. Now I'm trying to figure out how this fits with the very first scene...wonder if that shadowy figure is the emperor.
Apr 17, 2014 8:01 PM
Oct 2012
Mugen_Time said:

Chaika's mission is to collect the emperor's remains but she doesn't know what that will mean. She seems to be very naive and uninformed. Now I'm trying to figure out how this fits with the very first scene...wonder if that shadowy figure is the emperor.

The broken speech has a point, but as you pointed out we don't know what the point is: it could just be the fact that she is speaking an unknown language, but personally I think that the figure in the first scene wiped her mind and then gave her a geass to find the body parts (so she couldn't stop if she wanted to)(oh, Geass is older than "code" it is an ancient Irish bit of magic). So the broken speech is the result of what happened to her between her death and resurrection.

In a way she is like a Zombie, and her speech echoes the "We eat brains" mode of zombie speech. If the above is true it is a nice touch, but her speech should become more normal as she begins to regain her humanity.
Apr 17, 2014 8:21 PM

Nov 2013
Dammit Bones, wish ya used ur budget on this instead of the other stuff ;.;
Apr 17, 2014 8:32 PM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Mugen_Time said:

The broken speech has a point, but as you pointed out we don't know what the point is: it could just be the fact that she is speaking an unknown language, but personally I think that the figure in the first scene wiped her mind and then gave her a geass to find the body parts (so she couldn't stop if she wanted to)(oh, Geass is older than "code" it is an ancient Irish bit of magic). So the broken speech is the result of what happened to her between her death and resurrection.

In a way she is like a Zombie, and her speech echoes the "We eat brains" mode of zombie speech. If the above is true it is a nice touch, but her speech should become more normal as she begins to regain her humanity.

I'mma have to go with the first option.

She's a foreigner who isn't fluent in Toru's native language.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/52737/hitsugi-no-chaika_ch1_by_village-idiot/23
IronLobsterApr 17, 2014 9:01 PM
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Apr 17, 2014 8:55 PM

Oct 2012
That dude had a lot of swords just laying around.

Good episode and I liked how we got to learn more about her background this episode.
Apr 17, 2014 9:53 PM

Jan 2014
Well that was some pretty addictive action there. Those Saboteurs really know their deal.

And the girl only wants to give his father a proper burial, nothing wrong there, but obviously some things are gonna be wrong with the "piece" collecting.

Gonna check this even though it is far from my favourite.
Apr 18, 2014 2:40 AM

Jul 2012
So they recovered the emperor's hand.

I wonder what is the next body part they will recover next?

Great episode!!!
Apr 18, 2014 3:17 AM

Oct 2013
Haha, most of my predictions from the previous episodes were right :)
I am a human.
Apr 18, 2014 3:18 AM

Jul 2011
Bheaze said:
that fight scene was acutally really cool. one of the coolest scenes i have seen in terms of fight choreography.

agree
Apr 18, 2014 4:31 AM

Feb 2014
Is he really doing it for a war to outbreak or protect that girl?

Akari - "If you die without my knowledge, I can't have you stuffed."
Tooru - "Too bad for you. When I die, it'll be by explosion."
Apr 18, 2014 5:20 AM

Aug 2008
GrizzlyS14 said:

Akari - "If you die without my knowledge, I can't have you stuffed."
Tooru - "Too bad for you. When I die, it'll be by explosion."
kawaii sibling love
Apr 18, 2014 6:23 AM

Jul 2008
This series surprises me, I pick it up without expecting much but I really liked it :D
Apr 18, 2014 6:45 AM

Feb 2012
Seriously, why does she talk like that? Wish they'd explain coz right now, its starting to get annoying!

Aside from that, good episode
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Apr 18, 2014 10:51 AM

Aug 2013
Well, now everything have been. Or at least, mostly everything.

I think it took an interrestinThe two ''heroes'' are nice to see in action. I also like their attitude, not giving a fuck xD

The trap he had set up, even if simple, were pretty clever if we take in considaration the situation he was in. He was obviously disavantaged but he managed to survive long enough to make their plan work.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 18, 2014 10:53 AM

Apr 2014
I like this show better than other ones this season.
And, is there anyone else think that Chaika is.. cute?
I got no problem with her way of talking though, maybe we'll know the reason of that later?
Apr 18, 2014 12:41 PM

Oct 2011
When AKari starting breaking the furniture I started laughing. Poor Furniture though. Toaru is EPIC!!!
Apr 18, 2014 2:37 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
jbeat said:
Seriously, why does she talk like that? Wish they'd explain coz right now, its starting to get annoying!

You know you could just read a few posts above yours? :P It's because she's a foreigner. Apparently the manga doesn't explain it either, but you can infer that whatever language she's speaking right now isn't her first language when you look at the manga page IronLobster linked to.
Apr 18, 2014 3:42 PM

Apr 2013
The battle on the bridge between Tooru and the big guy was pretty cool. At least now we know a little bit about Chaika.
Apr 18, 2014 6:25 PM

Dec 2011
The action is pretty good. Loved the animation of the fight. Can't wait for more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2014 11:57 PM

Oct 2010
This has to be one of my most anticipated anime of the season going by 2 episodes. Finally an antihero character not bound by sentimentality and a delusional ideal of justice. He does things because he wants to, and starts wars because he wants to. There is no better motivation than "I want to." Enough with the overused protectors of justice label for heroes.

9/10
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2014

304 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 3, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

137 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 3, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

121 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 10:34 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2014

176 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2014

154 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 7:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.