Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 16, 2014 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
RIP Box. RIP furniture.

Anyways, this mission proved itself to be dangerous but I think these guys are handing it better than I had thought. ZA BLINDO. Chaika might of bitten off more than she can chew there..
Apr 16, 2014 10:56 AM

Nov 2008
I have a small question the title says 棺姫 isn't the good pronounciation hitsugi hime? or do you read this as hitsugi?

He handle the fight really well but nearly died.
Shakkin-shitsujiApr 16, 2014 11:03 AM
Apr 16, 2014 11:08 AM

Mar 2014
Chaika, her eyebrow...It was hard to understand her words because of her talking like a baby.

Anyway, this episode had some explanations about the story settings.
And it showed the departure of three main characters in the last.
I was glad that their adventure began.

I think this episode got more decent than previous one.
To be honest, I had no expectation about this anime before this second episode.
However now I take more interest in it. It was not the best, but I guess it has some potential.
Apr 16, 2014 11:15 AM

Mar 2014
Shakkin-shitsuji said:
I have a small question the title says 棺姫 isn't the good pronounciation hitsugi hime? or do you read this as hitsugi?

I checked some informations about it.
The title "棺姫" should be read as "Hitsugi".
It is not ordinary in the Japanese Language. (I also read the title as "Hitsugihime no Chaika" at the first.)
dmrchApr 16, 2014 11:26 AM
Apr 16, 2014 11:28 AM

Nov 2008
dmrch said:
Shakkin-shitsuji said:

I checked some informations about it.
The title "棺姫" should be read as "Hitsugi".
It is not ordinary in the Japanese Language. (I also read the title as "Hitsugihime no Chaika" at the first.)

I really have a lot to learn with kanji....
Thank you for the answer!
Apr 16, 2014 11:33 AM

Nov 2012
The fights were cool in this one. I wonder what is Chaika's true objective.
KamaxApr 16, 2014 11:37 AM
"I can have food or drinks spilled on me, or even be spit at and ill laugh about it ,
However , If for any reason you hurt a friend of mine, I won't forgive you!"

- Red-Haired Shanks
Apr 16, 2014 11:55 AM

Mar 2014
Shakkin-shitsuji said:

You're welcome. But I had to explain more about it. Sorry.
Maybe, the artist himself designed that the title "棺姫" is read as "Hitsugi".
All of native speakers of Japanese can read it as "Hitsugihime", but cannot read it as "Hitsugi".
That pronunciation about it would be only in this work. Don't worry about your kanji skill with this title!
dmrchApr 16, 2014 12:00 PM
Apr 16, 2014 12:02 PM

Jan 2010
I like where this story is going, I may have to find a translation for the LN/finish learning Japanese once the anime ends.
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
Apr 16, 2014 12:04 PM

Jul 2013
Starting to like the series, espcially the action scenes.
But we will really have Chaika speaking like that until the end ?
Apr 16, 2014 12:06 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Nice, I'm liking this more and more :) Really loved the fighting scenes, as expected from Tooru , and we find out that he may actually like the idea of war since that's what he does (or he could be bluffing :/). We also learn what Chaika's goal is, and thus the adventure of the trio begins. I wonder who that floating stalker person is?
Apr 16, 2014 12:11 PM

May 2013
nice action in this episode, i like the way toru fights using his daggers and traps. Can't wait for the next episode
"Why the hell is it so easy to make people mad, and so difficult to make them smile?" -Kurosawa Dono
Apr 16, 2014 12:16 PM

Aug 2010
That was good :D

Loved the action this ep. Liking this series quite a lot.

Toru is quite the BA. Rarely would u see a protagonist say I'm fine with war :D

And his fight with the Mohawk guy was really well done. U could feel that both of them are pretty much on equal levels. Some nice moves Toru used there hehe ^^ Loving the string attached knife :)

Also nice to see he can fight quite well even without his Red Iron blood mode.

Akari is cool too. Nice BA pair of siblings we have there :D

Interesting to find out Chaika's real objective (If that really is all there is to it). Gathering her dad's scattered pieces so she can give him a funeral? And that dad was an infamous emperor that's lived for hundreds of years? What a way to kill ur boredom that is Toru XD
Apr 16, 2014 12:19 PM

Jul 2013
Oh damn, such an amazing episode, the action in here were top notch for the most part. The second half just makes it more interesting where Toru wants a war, and the history of its emperor.

Apr 16, 2014 12:37 PM

Apr 2014
great action packed episode, MCs are very competent I like their style
Apr 16, 2014 12:39 PM

Oct 2013
Chaika ll keep talking like that because she is foreigner, beside that, its not hard to read her words.

Toru and Akari are unrelated blood sibling, because they are orphans from school Acura, so they have more brothers and sisters there.

and Oh yeah!! Dominica Skoda will appear next episode!!! Love her, im sucker of woman knight.
KaedeKyl9Apr 16, 2014 1:35 PM
Apr 16, 2014 12:40 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The action scenes are pretty good and we have an MC that's got balls if not much common sense. Excellent, that will make for an entertaining watch.

"Chaika?"
"Yes, Chaika"
"Chaika"

Best bit of dialogue I've heard in a while.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 16, 2014 1:32 PM

Mar 2013
When everybody is playing with blades and spears...a girl pulls out a sniper rifle and starts throwing magic spells left and right...
Anyway I like the the way Toru fights...kind of reminds me of Hei from Darker than Black. Well...it is Bones in the end.
Apr 16, 2014 1:32 PM

Aug 2012
Liking this one quite a bit. The style and direction of the action is very promising. That mansion reminded me of Spiral Paradox lol
Apr 16, 2014 1:44 PM

Dec 2011
Nice overall episode and I hope the next one will be better.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Apr 16, 2014 1:51 PM

Sep 2013
Got to love that finishing blow when he smashed the great-sword guy on the head with the hand :3

Good we got to learn some past about Chaika.

Great episode.
Apr 16, 2014 1:53 PM

Jan 2009
Fights were ok. Idk… feels like I've seen this already.

4/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Apr 16, 2014 2:11 PM

Nov 2013
Bones knows how to action~
Great episode, we got to learn who Chaika is and why she needs the remains. Sounds like a fun journey, hopefully the rest of the show stays good. 4/5
Apr 16, 2014 2:22 PM
Jan 2011
I'm starting to think that tooru and company were the antagonist in this anime.
Apr 16, 2014 2:26 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Abarth lost all his cool after being trapped. XD

Toru vs. Nikolai was nice. Even without using the transformation, he fought well and won!

-- "War is fine with me." Such confidence and determination.
Toru is becoming an awesome MC.

Akari intervention was nice; creating an opening for Chaika's "The Blind".

So, she's gathering her father's remains to give him a funeral? O.o
Toru agrees with her objective to break free of his boring life? XD

Someone is observing them from afar as they move out..

Next episode:
VindstotApr 16, 2014 7:57 PM

Apr 16, 2014 3:14 PM

Oct 2013
zilmian said:
I like the the way Toru fights...kind of reminds me of Hei from Darker than Black. Well...it is Bones in the end.

Yep,was thinking the same thing. I also like how he's not overpowered or pulls stuff out of his ass to win either. He actually uses viable fighting tactics and cooperates with Akari in order to get the job done.

Looks like it's gonna be a fun ride.
Apr 16, 2014 3:18 PM

Nov 2011
dominica next episode!??!?1
Hate Keeps me warm
Apr 16, 2014 3:27 PM
Aug 2012
I can't help but laugh at her giant eyebrows and voice XD
Apr 16, 2014 3:37 PM

Apr 2014
Tooru wants war :O
He's to badass.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Apr 16, 2014 3:42 PM

Dec 2010
That was an even better episode than the first one! We finally have a set up, and its still something that isn't used that often in fantasy stories.

I like the fact that they are playing with the idea of good and bad, and even though Chaika says she just wants to give him a funeral, there's no guarantee she's telling the truth. Plus Toru really got to prove himself in this episode. The idea of having a hero who wants war because its the only way he can fit into society is probably something a lot of veterans with PTSD feel, I like how they are playing that into his character.

Also, Chaika's speech didn't bother me as much this time, so that's something nice to see evened out. I feel like the Lord in this episode might have fallen victim to the power of the hand, he seemed to me like a druggie who was having withdraws, at least in accordance with how his voice sounded at the end...

Anyway, great episode. If this series can keep up the same sort of ideas, plot, and atmosphere, we have a definite winner here!
Apr 16, 2014 4:09 PM

Dec 2013
I liked the action. Was refreshing to see Tooru stab the man's arm and some blood spilling from it.
Apr 16, 2014 4:23 PM
Mar 2014
pretty good episode i like how loyal his sister is towards him thats a good sister right there
Apr 16, 2014 5:31 PM

Sep 2012
They managed to eliminate all the humor from the manga. Not sure if that's entirely a good thing. Oh well.

It was good episode, though I wanted to see Toru trick the Kliemanns into thinking he defeated Nikolai. It would've been clever at the very least.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Apr 16, 2014 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
It was a good episode. So, Toru plans to abandon the peaceful world and go with war. The actions in this episode were pretty good.
Apr 16, 2014 6:49 PM
Oct 2010
Really nice fight.
Apr 16, 2014 7:02 PM

May 2010
Great episode! good fight scenes too.
Apr 16, 2014 7:05 PM

Aug 2013
"Chaika?"
"Yes, Chaika."
"Chaika."

With just two words they understood the entire plan XD

The fight scene was good. It was exactly how I expected a rogue/saboteur would fight. Thank you, Bones :)
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 16, 2014 7:07 PM

Dec 2008
I loved that fight. It seems so fluid and their breathing changes its awesome. Toru is the BA of the season!
Apr 16, 2014 7:19 PM

Apr 2011
So Chaika is a princess huh.

An MC that wants war? I like him already.

I'm curious how she survived back then.
MagitoApr 16, 2014 9:23 PM
Apr 16, 2014 7:24 PM
Oct 2012
dmrch said:
Shakkin-shitsuji said:

You're welcome. But I had to explain more about it. Sorry.
Maybe, the artist himself designed that the title "棺姫" is read as "Hitsugi".
All of native speakers of Japanese can read it as "Hitsugihime", but cannot read it as "Hitsugi".
That pronunciation about it would be only in this work. Don't worry about your kanji skill with this title!

Ah, you are starting to reach the "oh dear god" stage of reading Kanji, which generally happens when you realize that NO ONE in Japan really knows how to read Japanese names until they hear them. That is why so many animation has the person say which Kanji their name has when they say their name. The only reason why most Japanese can read most names is solely because of experience.

Basically one has to remember that Kanji are not phonetic, they are ideograms. It is the idea, not the sound that is important. 棺姫 means Coffin Princess, however since that is not exactly a word that people speak, until the writer explains how to read it, no one in Japan could pronounce it with any degree of accuracy.

That the writer focuses on the reading of coffin and ignores the reading for princess (which is what the two characters mean), is probably the writer expressing a subtle emphasis. The "coffin" is more essential than the "princess". It also forms an ambiguity, the title based on kanji meaning would be "Coffin Princess Chaika"", but since the reading has only coffin, if one were to read it aloud, without the seeing the kanji, the title would be "The Coffin's Chaika", not "the Coffin Princess Chaika".

Based on how this story has developed, I have no doubt that this was the writer's intent. Reading the title "the Coffin's Chaika" suggests a lot of different things doesn't it? But it gets lost in the translation.

This is what makes Japanese such a rich language full of subtlety, but it is also something that drives people schooled in any phonetic language bat crazy (myself included).
Apr 16, 2014 7:27 PM

May 2013
His fighting style. It reminded me of Hei from DTB.
Still, the plot may still have secrets.
Apr 16, 2014 7:36 PM

Jan 2011
liking the fights and the MC style,but after this episode it's pretty clear they aren't good people which fine by me

story so far their trying to find the remains of the Gaz Emperor to give him a funeral even if it means starting a war,still don't think it will be as simple as that.
Apr 16, 2014 7:38 PM

Jan 2013
Very solid episode. Nice fight scene. Fairly straightforward plot, easy to understand. Some things explained.
Apr 16, 2014 7:49 PM

Jul 2012
Woot! Epic episode this week! D:

We got to see that old rich dude get his precious treasure get stolen! So, that hand was....the emperor/mage/wizard hand? owo And Chaika is the daughter of said emperor?! o-o Whoa....pretty cool info. there! x3

That flying person around the ending....spooky! D: It's good so far~! Can't wait for next week~! x3
Apr 16, 2014 7:50 PM
Aug 2011
This was nice improvement.
The animation is fluid despite me thinking that the designs look(ed) a bit messy.
Apr 16, 2014 8:33 PM

Jun 2012
Before Chaika stated her reasoning for wanting to collect her father's remains, I was thinking it would've been pretty cool if the protagonists were actually the antagonists in the grand scheme of things

This is fine too though
Can only move foward from here
Apr 16, 2014 9:41 PM
Nov 2013
Very nice episode, I'm enjoying the series. Chaika is a bit bland, forced and annoying sometimes, but I like the male MC. Good fight scenes, nice assault mission. Seems interesting, promising. Let's see...
Apr 16, 2014 9:50 PM
Oct 2012
HybridMBL said:
Before Chaika stated her reasoning for wanting to collect her father's remains, I was thinking it would've been pretty cool if the protagonists were actually the antagonists in the grand scheme of things

Don't forget the opening scene. That she said that was the reason may not be the ACTUAL reason. As the "hero" said this episode, she was killed (not just marooned as I had thought), something has sent her back on this mission (sans coffin). What that something is still needs to be explained (as well as her apparent memory loss).
Apr 16, 2014 10:43 PM
Nov 2013
Another great episode, this continues to be one of my favorites this season. We finally get a better look at the plot and Some solid action. I really like the character interactions, I thought the "Chaika. Yes Chaika. Chaika" but was hilarious. Thank you based Bones!
Apr 16, 2014 10:55 PM

Jul 2010
Dropped.
Apr 16, 2014 11:09 PM

Oct 2013
not really sure how i feel about this anime yet, it hasn't exactly captivated me so far, an okay episode, definitely enjoying the BA MC, but the rest was a little meh
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2014

304 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 3, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

137 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 3, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

121 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 10:34 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2014

176 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2014

154 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 7:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.