Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 21, 2010 12:22 AM

Jul 2008
The ending was.... beautiful! ;__;
Feb 16, 2011 6:48 PM

Jul 2007
why did this anime remind of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Ember ?
Mar 9, 2011 2:11 PM

Aug 2009
Grummel said:
why did this anime remind of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Ember ?

Now that you mention it, it does bear semblance with that movie, namely the underground post-apocalyptic society, Ura's coming to the surface to see the sky for the first time and the regenerated Earth.

What I'd like to know is why the Archive Excavation Department reminded me of Orwell's 1984 ┐('~`;)┌

Anyway, I really liked the OVA even though it was so short. That song gave me goosebumps, would love to get the single.
The ending took me by surprise, it was simply mesmerizing.
May 2, 2011 12:22 AM

May 2009
I don't think the guy would have died, because he was still in the pale cocoon and if it was space, he would have frozen to death and his eyeballs exploded.
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
May 17, 2011 6:07 AM

Feb 2011
I dont get it >.>

^^^^^Click^^^^
May 26, 2011 9:38 PM

Apr 2009
No shit! That was only 23 minutes long? While I was watching it felt longer than that! In spite of the slow, bleak, cold and dark atmosphere, it really sucked me in. In that short duration of the movie, it evoked so many emotions in me both high and low that it felt like a damn theme park ride.

I'd felt tired and weary for Ura just by watching him restore binary code data into human recognizable forms as video or images in that hopeless 'ruins of a gigantic artificial concentration camp'. I felt guilty when Riko said "No one wants to see more of human stupidity." when he confronted her on the stairwell. When the video was finally restored, I was thinking "What the hell? You wasted all that time restoring a friggin' music video?", even watching from the comfort of my home I felt cheated for Ura. I had to admit though that I felt more cheated for myself than for Ura. XD Then I had that sense of enormous loss when Yoko said in the recording that the Earth was rust colored when she looked up the sky from the moon. And finally as if to top it all, I felt relieved and grateful when he moved his hand to reveal the scene of the blue Earth again.

I'm a sucker for happy endings, even though it was all bleak the entire time, the last scene was both golden and epic for me.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 26, 2011 11:14 PM

Jan 2011
It's almost 1 AM here, and I'm pretty tired. It doesn't really help that I'm not fully awake when its this late at night. Just a thought to keep in mind before judging me on this.

Hey, I don't think I'm very slow when it comes to understanding stuff like this but.. Pale Cocoon was another matter. thoughsometimesiamprettystupidlol

It was beautiful in it's own way. Unfortunately, I feel like it can only appeal to a handful of people. In all honesty, it was pretty long and boring. DEFINITELY did not wake me up. Things like this aren't really my cup of tea, even though I'm pretty open to all anime. Still, I certainly don't regret those 23 minutes. Overall it was a 7/10.
May 31, 2011 11:11 AM
Apr 2010
I thought this would be hard to understand from what's i've read around,but it was pretty easily explained by yoko near the end >.<
Well presented and gripping IMO i couldn't take my eye of my screen while i was watching it.
Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 18, 2011 12:26 AM

May 2011
good sci-fi story...
i wonder what pale cocoon is? '__'a
Sep 16, 2011 6:46 PM

May 2011
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I didn't really understand it. I got that it's post-apocalypse and that they're in the future, all the main details, but I didn't see the point of the OVA. It seemed like it was going nowhere, and then it seemed like they were jumping around randomly. And then the end confused me. The last few minutes before the very end felt rushed, and it was just lost on me. I'm usually good with surreal stuff...?

The art, though, was beautiful. The background was interesting even though it was the same throughout; I never got bored of it. And all those yellow snowflake-looking things were beautiful. I loved them. ^_^

Overall, so-so.
Sep 16, 2011 6:48 PM

Dec 2010
Forest-kun said:
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I didn't really understand it. I got that it's post-apocalypse and that they're in the future, all the main details, but I didn't see the point of the OVA. It seemed like it was going nowhere, and then it seemed like they were jumping around randomly. And then the end confused me. The last few minutes before the very end felt rushed, and it was just lost on me. I'm usually good with surreal stuff...?

The art, though, was beautiful. The background was interesting even though it was the same throughout; I never got bored of it. And all those yellow snowflake-looking things were beautiful. I loved them. ^_^

Overall, so-so.
You ever watch Planet of the Apes (1968)?
Sep 22, 2011 4:33 AM

Aug 2010
I can hardly believe it wasn't even 23 minutes long, nicely executed. Probably could have used more time to do an even deeper exploration of the issues at hand, but given the time limit, it did an amazing job. And I was completely fooled, thinking they were in the depths of Earth or something. Special mention goes to the music compartment, excellent. 9/10.
Dec 2, 2011 10:34 AM
Sep 2011
I was completely mesmerized by this. The atmosphere, while calm and uneventful, still managed to draw me into the story and evoked in me a feeling of melancholy.

The art was wonderful and fit the mood perfectly.
Mar 11, 2012 7:00 PM

Nov 2010
/CRY
OH GAAAWD ... that was beautiful q v q;
I fear for this planet even more now. Bwahah.
The song was perfect. Timing. Song. The mood. Everything.
I was a bit confused for a second if him flinging himself up to see the earth was part of the music video, but that end image totally blew me away.
3 AM. Awesome goodnight episode.
Apr 1, 2012 1:30 AM

Jan 2009
wow so the government of the future are hiding the fact that all of them are living on the moon now since earth become to unhabitable due to overpollution brought by overpopulation
but look what the main character saw in the end the earth is habitable again it seems, the earth has natural healing features if humans does not exist heh lol

moral of the story overpopulation will kill all of humanity one day XD
Apr 3, 2012 2:39 PM

Aug 2010
Amazing
May 28, 2012 9:54 PM

Apr 2012
good storytelling for 20 minutes, somehow even felt the opposite of rushed, until the conclusion suddenly leapt out. I think the slow pacing and development was done just about right for creating an appropriate atmosphere.

Reminded me of Angel's Egg, in the "humans have forgotten what they're searching for" aspect, and the quiet desolation (and mention of angels, and cocoons for that matter... Wouldn't be surprised if it was a source of inspiration).
Jul 26, 2012 1:45 PM

Feb 2011
This was awful . This thing is shit really . I couldn't get one thing , the whole episode they were just babbling . 4/10
Aug 26, 2012 8:58 PM

May 2012
This was amazing! Kinda wish they guy would have stay alive near the end but the actual ending of him actually seeing the earth was just epic! They really need to make more masterpieces like this one, even though it was only like 20 minutes long everything you needed to know was told so you weren't lost. I'm giving it a 8/10. The reasons why I'm not giving it a 9/10 is because it was to short and the second is that the main character's death just didn't sit right with me, but still it was pretty awesome none the less.
Oct 3, 2012 10:13 PM

Nov 2011
Felt like watching Time of Eve the whole time with its strange theme and utopian like atmosphere. That song sung by Yoko was kinda strange although I found it at the same time..strangely appealing to the ears.

Overall, it was an alright episode although I won't remember by it for a long time.

6/10.
Jan 15, 2013 7:14 PM

Apr 2012
This OVA turned out to be a bit underwhelming for me. The animation and the atmosphere it created were nice; however, the characters, the story (minus the twist at the end, which I did think was good), and the themes were all rather simplistic and not terribly interesting to me. Still, despite my issues with this OVA, it was an alright watch - just nothing amazing.
Feb 3, 2013 4:29 PM

Sep 2007
Quick fix sci fi.

Just what I needed.

Feb 11, 2013 1:18 PM

Jan 2013
5/5 best 23 minute stand alone OVA i've seen
Mar 10, 2013 5:47 AM

Jul 2012
Definitely one of the better concepts iv'e watched in anime. The animation and sound was superb as well, But it ended to soon in my opinion and didn't manage to leave the effect on me i thought it would. I'm liking the ideas that the director Yasuhiro has though, so i'll check out Eve no Jikan.
7/10
May 11, 2013 6:41 PM
Jul 2012
I don't get this story at all. What are they talking about or anything? I know they looking some stranger or something, But ehh too confusing.
Good thing is that music video at the end.
7/10
Oct 17, 2013 5:19 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Pretty amazing for a low budget 23 minute OVA. Those last five minutes are absolutely unforgettable.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 6, 2013 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
Loved the music video at the end.
Feb 27, 2014 7:52 PM

Jul 2012
Wow, I must be stupid because I didn't catch the entire plot. Luckily, I read through these posts and waterfall's thread and now I get it.

Gonna settle for 7/10. If it had more episodes, it could have been much better. However, I really like the mood and sound for sure. Also, props to the director 'cause I really liked the way everything weaved in and created the story.
Mar 15, 2014 4:24 PM

Oct 2010
Pretty interesting little OVA. Shorts are always shorts and rarely give a lasting impression for me, but nonetheless it was a well done piece of art.
Liked it most for its artistic direction and execution, it was quite enthralling at times.
Apr 16, 2014 7:27 AM

Apr 2013
For a 23 min long OVA it was outstanding.
May 30, 2014 12:53 PM

Apr 2012
not bad for a 22 min ova

7/10

Jul 6, 2014 11:34 PM

Feb 2013
That was great! I loved it!
Jul 8, 2014 8:01 AM

Mar 2013
A very nice short ova. Could have been a bit longer but then maybe it would have been boring, so im fine with the lenght. The premise was very nice epecially when you like such futur industrialized world settings like in the metropolis anime or in BLAME!. The movie had a nice message, but since this topic was so one sided it kinda looked a bit naive ( it was only: industrialisation is bad and nature is good, i really would have liked arguments for the industrialisation). So overall i gave it a 6/10 so no masterpiece. a nice thing to watch and a bit to think about and definitly the best work of Yoshiura Yasuhiro, since his other works where rather bad. I mean look at Eve no Jikan which is just an illogical slice of life bullshit and Sakasama no Patema suffered on flat and unintersting storytelling and boring and clichee characters
Aug 22, 2014 10:59 PM

Nov 2008
Lockensocke said:
The movie had a nice message, but since this topic was so one sided it kinda looked a bit naive ( it was only: industrialisation is bad and nature is good, i really would have liked arguments for the industrialisation).

I would like to argue that the main message was something a bit different. Last month I wrote quite a large analysis of Pale Cocoon and its more hidden meanings/messages, which you can find here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1231741
Aug 24, 2014 4:31 AM

Jan 2011
Sorry but the themes in this have been done to death and this didn't really stand out from the crowd.
Dec 15, 2014 8:46 PM

Jun 2014
Unfortunately, I cannot find much to like about Pale Cocoon. I found it interesting at first, but it just went nowhere. I really wanted to like it, but it fell flat.

I have given it a score of 3/10, and at the time of this post, it's the lowest rating I have given anything on my list.

Jan 9, 2015 5:58 PM
Oct 2012
Any anime that inspires creativity is a hit in my book. Open-ended endings like this are good for writers and the imagination, because they allow you to come up with what happened next, almost like a writing prompt. But this writing prompt has a really entertaining animated description!
Feb 15, 2015 6:26 AM

Jul 2014
I'd like to see twelve-episode series, about how the survivors from the moon are trying to get back on earth or sth similar 🌛
Jun 15, 2015 5:55 PM

Jun 2012
Its fun seeing similar themes and connections with all of Yoshiura's works.
Jul 2, 2015 12:26 PM

Feb 2013
Didn't like it, probably because I wouldn't have gotten the message if it wasn't for some of the posts here. Meh.
Aug 25, 2015 6:56 AM

Oct 2014
I don't get it and didn't like it either it was boring
1/10
CnonOct 3, 2015 12:29 PM
Sep 19, 2015 10:28 PM

Jul 2010
This sure was a snoozefest...
Dec 30, 2015 1:06 PM

Nov 2013
It was okay. But it has one flaw: the revelation was way to obvious.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 10, 2016 2:53 AM

Aug 2014
Just rewatched this after about a year of seeing it the first time, and I think a lot of people are missing the empathy for the characters. Riko is distraught because her world sucks, and recovering the records rubs it in. Yet Ura is intrigued by it, he loves finding out this info in hopes of discovering that world for himself. The music video inspires Ura to search for that answer himself after seeing the world in the vid and hearing some lyrics in the song describing the earth from the moon. "What was she looking at?" Their conversation about Riko's grandmother imply that they were born underground/in that facility and never saw the outside. They were unaware that they are not on Earth. They think the surface is in ruin. Ura then climbs into the closed elevator that leads to the surface and heads up. There he finds he's on the "Pale Cocoon" built around the moon. Where he later will see the BLUE Earth and the SUNLIGHT. That's important because Riko then sees the video interview with Yoko, where she clearly confirms they are on the moon and describes the Earth as being RUST COLORED and says "someday, the mother star will wake up from her long sleep, for dawn to come again".

Ura didn't need to hear that speech because he had never given up hope himself, he believed that Earth was there, and we then see that it was. Mother Earth had revived itself. I think that, "looking for hope when there is none", is a more important message than, "overpopulation is a problem and pollution is bad". This is farther reinforced by the sadness we feel for Riko as it is clear she had given up, when there is a reason to be hopeful that she may never know. (depending on if Ura makes it back to tell or not)
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Feb 17, 2016 9:09 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
That was actually pretty good.
Pretty short tho.
7/10
DatRandomDudeFeb 17, 2016 9:12 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 10, 2016 8:21 AM

Jun 2014
That was a very interesting OVA. I had to watch it twice to fully grasp it though.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Apr 26, 2017 11:33 PM

Aug 2014
Amazing. And it felt way longer than it was. 10/10
Jul 20, 2017 4:55 PM

Apr 2013
After watching Sakasama no Patema and then this... Wow... just wow. This guy was trying to make a film like this since forever.

Nov 3, 2017 2:55 AM
Jul 2018
for a 2005 ova this has animation for 2025
Nov 17, 2017 8:11 PM

Aug 2016
what a waste of time. but the song was good
MichaelJacksonNov 17, 2017 8:16 PM
:v
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Pale Cocoon - Hidden Meanings and In Depth Analysis

philipawalker - Jul 22, 2014

26 by waalex11 »»
Mar 25, 2023 11:10 PM

» Pale cocoon help

KuroudoAkabane - Oct 13, 2019

2 by O_T_T »»
Apr 19, 2021 7:24 AM

» waterfalls explains the ending ( 1 2 )

waterfalls - Sep 23, 2007

77 by PandaJerk007 »»
Sep 6, 2015 4:20 AM

» Little clarification (spoilers)

obtrice - Jul 15, 2013

1 by Tunpa »»
Aug 9, 2013 10:55 PM

» Blue/Green

thresholden - Jan 27, 2010

1 by Mizilla »»
Aug 31, 2010 1:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.