Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 15, 2014 7:27 PM
Jan 2014
Since it seems that many people are interested in how magic works but are unwilling to read through places with possible spoilers (like the Mahouka wikia for instance) I wish to make this thread as a spoiler free explanation of Mahouka magic. No plot that hasn't already come up in the anime will be exposed, only loads of information. I will start with the general explanation on how magic works, and then on major classifications of magic. Once that is done I will be adding additional information on specific magic that is brought up in the show but not explained as well as it was in the Light Novel. Hence as long as you are up to date with the anime, nothing plot wise should be spoiled by anything here. Consider this an info dump for those interested in the world's magic .

Psions and Pushions
Psions are particles without substance that are born from intention and thought, and are one of the basic driving forces of magic, being utilized and consumed in spells. Pushions are mysterious particles, sometimes referred to as Spirit Particles, are particles thought to be born in part from the emotion created by intention thought, but their use is not as well known. Much less magic uses or effects Pushions compared to Psions. Well most magicians can see Psions, only those who have Hyper-sensitivity to spirit particle emissions can see Pushions well.
The eidos and magic rituals
The Eidos is the information body of the world. The physical world transferred into information if you will. Every physical object has an Eidos, whether magic is affecting it or not. A magic ritual rewrites that information. This process is also sometimes referred to as phenomena rewriting. By rewriting the information the physical object itself is affected. For instance, one could get the water molecules in the air to freeze to ice, or they could making something that is motionless move by rewriting it so that it is [moving backwards]. That said, the effects of a magic ritual is temporary. The ice will eventually turn back into water and the once stationary object won't stay in perpetual motion. It is through the rewriting of the information body that magic comes into effect. Only one magic ritual can affect a specific eidos at a time, and the one with the highest interference strength usually wins. Interference strength is simply the strength in which a magic ritual rewrites the eidos. This is dependent on the power of the magician and not on simply the spell itself.
CAD's and activation sequences
A CAD is a Casting Assistant Device. It allows for much faster casting of magic, as it replaces the more ancient magic rituals with activation sequences. The data for an activation sequences are programmed into the CAD, and then Psions are absorbed, and through the information from the activation sequence they are reformed into the shape of a magic sequence (the CAD's version of a magic ritual), and allows the spell to be cast. Casting with a CAD can take under a second while casting without can sometimes take minutes depending on the complexity of the spell. There are two types of CAD's: Generalized and specialized. A Generalized CAD can contain up to 99 activation sequences of magic from any system of magic, whereas the Specialized CAD can only contain 9 from a single system. A specialized CAD however, benefits from a faster activation speed and are often for, as you could guess, Magicians who specialize in a select few magic sequences and do not need more to perform their duties. Specialized CAD's are often in the form of guns as an aiming system is put in the "barrel".
Loop casting: Loop casting is a technique invented by Taurus Silver. As long as the magic sequence is the same, the activation sequence of the CAD doesn't have to restart each time. This is done by adding a copying power to the Magic Calculation Area's execution mode via adding a copy of the activation sequence's last part to itself. This requires the CAD to be able to calculate the magical sequence and copy the activation sequence separately and at the same time.
Magical technicians
Also known as magicians are those who cast magic. The power of the magician is partly based in their genetics, with a child born from two strong magicians being likely to become a strong magician themselves while it being a rarity for those who are not magicians to have a child capable of casting magic. What makes a magical technician different from other humans is the magical calculation area in their brain. Without it a magician would not be able to have the fine psion control necessary for magic. Furthermore, magic sequences and rituals usually have the strength, targets, and ending requirements of spells are usually determined by the magic calculation area, allowing for variability in magic even if the same activation sequence is used. A person, even if they are a genius, would be unable to cast even a simple single process spell without a magic calculation area.
A magical technician's abilities can change reality but they must also be grounded in reality. Someone who doesn't have a firm grasp of the world around them cannot alter it. It is rare to have a truly delusional magician because of this. A magician must have a will and confidence in their magic. For instance, if the magician loses confidence in their ability to use magic, such as in the case of magic related trauma, it can render them unable to use magic permanently.

Types of Magic
Modern Magic
Modern Magic is broken up into the Four Great Systems and 8 major types. Each System contains 2 major types. This is known as Systematic magic. Besides this there are three other types of magic that Modern magics possesses, but do not fall into this category.
1. Speed and Weight magic: Speed magic quite simply speeds or slows down the target. This can be used for Freezing magic. Weight magic either reduces or increases weight, allowing for greatly increased jumping heights, reduced gravitational pulls, and as well as the opposite.
2. Movement and Oscillation/Vibration Movement magic can make an object change directions, stop it in its tracks, or alter its speed, but has no effect on inertia unlike speed magic. Oscillation magic involves vibrations and waves.
3. Converge and disperse : Convergence brings it targets within a specific area, for example it can be used to make oxygen gather in a single area. Dispersal interfere with the interactions of particles, and so can for example dry a shirt by using magic making it so that water interact with the shirt.
4. Absorb and Release Absorb magic can make particles interact, for instance it can force iron and oxygen to react, rapidly rusting an object. Release magic interferes with the interaction of subatomic particles.

The Three forms of modern magic that do not belong to the 4 Great systems are
Perception magic: This is a magic that allows for Extra Sensory Perception of one kind or another.
Non-Systematic Magic : Magic that does not rewrite information bodies but controls the Psions itself.
Outer-systematic magic : Magic that does not work on physical objects, for example mind reading and mind control. Can affect Pushions.

Besides Modern Magic there is ancient magic
Ancient magic: Ancient magic is varied, and has many different types. It can often be more specialized in certain areas. However, as CAD's are not used, it is generally slower and the magic easier to identify, and therefore negate. Ancient magic is capable of things that modern magic is not
types of ancient magic
ninjutsu : A form of ancient magic mostly focused on physical capability, as well as the ability to erase their presence, as well as the use of illusion magic. As Miyuki stated in episode 1 Yakumo is a ninjutsu user,.
Other types of ancient magic will be brought up as they are revealed in the show.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Specific magic
I shall add specific spells or subtypes as they are mentioned in the show.
Convergent Systematic Reinforcement magic: the technical term for Leo's speciality as mentioned in the first episode, also referred to as Reinforcement or fortification magic. It fortifies a physical object in relation to another. This can make an object extremely hard to break when used on the molecular level. A piece of glass could be thrown hard against a wall without shattering for instance, or grape could be hit hard with a hammer without being squashed.
engrave-type magic Magic that Erika's CAD uses. It is magic that uses a geometric pattern as a grid for the spell. The pattern is engraved into a sensitive alloy and psions are channelled through it to activate the spell. However Psions must be continuously be channelled for the duration of use of magic, making it exhausting for magic that lasts a long duration. Usually seen as inefficient and is not used much in the modern day world.
counter magic
This will be a subsection of the "specific magic section" Counter magic is exactly what it says on the tin: something that nullifies magic.
Zone interference : The magical technician saturates the area around them with their own magic. As any part of the Eidos can only be affected by the spell that has the highest phenomena rewriting strength, if the opponent phenomena rewriting is less than the magical technician's then the enemy is unable to cast magic in that zone.

If anyone finds my explanations are lacking, I will edit to clarify, and if you think that something I mentioned should not be on here yet, or that something should be added feel free to post on this thread or send me a PM and I will consider and adjust the list as much as my free time allows.
SinarBloodApr 19, 2014 9:30 PM
Apr 15, 2014 7:48 PM

Apr 2013
So basically,
Psions = mana
Eidos = magic words (rituals being their translations)
CADs = quick magic slots
Convergent Systematic Reinforcement = same magic as Shirou's
am I correct?
Apr 15, 2014 8:00 PM
Jan 2014
PWJP said:
So basically,
Psions = mana
CADs = quick magic slots
am I correct?

Close but the Eidos is kind of like the physical world transformed into information, and rituals don't translate the information but rewrites and modifies that information, which then affects the physical world in response. So the Eidos can be likened to another way of interpreting an object, an object without any magic being used on it still has an Eidos, but the Eidos can be manipulated by magic to have an unnatural affect on the object.
Apr 15, 2014 8:08 PM

Apr 2013
SinarBlood said:
PWJP said:
So basically,
Psions = mana
CADs = quick magic slots
am I correct?

Close but the Eidos is kind of like the physical world transformed into information, and rituals don't translate the information but rewrites and modifies that information, which then affects the physical world in response. So the Eidos can be likened to another way of interpreting an object, an object without any magic being used on it still has an Eidos, but the Eidos can be manipulated by magic to have an unnatural affect on the object.
Then Eidos is like the "DNA" of an object, something that defines its characteristics and contains all of its information; if rewritten/manipulated/whatever (via rituals), then the object mutates and something unusual can occur. Is this analogy better?
Apr 15, 2014 8:23 PM
Oct 2012
Damn, lovely explanation, can't say anything more than thank you.
Apr 15, 2014 9:13 PM
Jan 2014
PWJP said:
SinarBlood said:
PWJP said:
So basically,
Psions = mana
CADs = quick magic slots
am I correct?

Then Eidos is like the "DNA" of an object, something that defines its characteristics and contains all of its information; if rewritten/manipulated/whatever (via rituals), then the object mutates and something unusual can occur. Is this analogy better?

Yes that is a pretty apt analogy.

Edit: Changed the section on the Eidos to be a bit more clear
SinarBloodApr 15, 2014 9:22 PM
Apr 15, 2014 9:18 PM
Oct 2012
SinarBlood said:
Yes that is a pretty apt analogy

Do you know anything about Platonic Forms? I am brand new to this show so haven't had a chance to wrap my mind around things, but Plato theorized that every object in the universe has a perfect "form" that all objects are degraded manifestations of. So somewhere there is a perfect chair that all physical chairs are an interpretation of. More so than "DNA" it sounds as if the writer is trying to tie in some Neoplatonic thought (which most people sort of understand if they have read gnostic christian documents).

Edit: Just thought of something. If Magic is based on thought and imagination, then I think I have a clue as to why Tatsuya cannot lose in battle. My namesake the Zen master Takuan Soho wrote a book called the "Unfettered Mind" which suggested that pure instinct will always be faster than any pure skill, because skill requires thought, but instinct does not. While this is not important in many matters, it becomes essential in sword fighting where the person who strikes first wins.

Watching the battle in the second episode it was clear that the vice president had to 'think' of his move (and input it into the CAD), whereas Tatsuya did not have to think, he acted. This would explain why he was so much faster than the VP. It would also explain why he focuses on martial training so much (to hone his instincts).

I don't know if this ties into my thoughts on "form", but I can see three or four ways it could. Will need to watch more to find out.
Takuan_SohoApr 15, 2014 9:28 PM
Apr 15, 2014 9:41 PM
Jan 2014
Takuan_Soho said:

Do you know anything about Platonic Forms? I am brand new to this show so haven't had a chance to wrap my mind around things, but Plato theorized that every object in the universe has a perfect "form" that all objects are degraded manifestations of. So somewhere there is a perfect chair that all physical chairs are an interpretation of. More so than "DNA" it sounds as if the writer is trying to tie in some Neoplatonic thought (which most people sort of understand if they have read gnostic christian documents).

To be honest I am not quite sure if that can be completely likened to the Eidos. Each part of the Eidos represents part of a physical object and only that part. That physical object is not a degraded form of the Eidos, as the Eidos on that object and the object itself are very much one in the same. Changes to one directly changes the other. There might be enough similarities between like objects such as oxygen molecules for things like convergent type systematic magic to work to gather them all together but that doesn't mean that in the Eidos there is an information body that represents the perfect oxygen and that altering that alters every other oxygen in the world. Therefore DNA which is much more individualistic seems to me to be more fitting metaphor. The DNA of something changes and so it alone changes. I wouldn't call the Eidos a perfect form of the object but more of a summation of every detail of the object at its current point in time.

Edit: I had started my reply before your edit so I did not see it until I posted. That said, I won't reply to your edit since I did read the LN and going into why Tatsuya won is a spoiler even if it is simply to accept or deny your theory.
SinarBloodApr 15, 2014 9:47 PM
Apr 15, 2014 9:46 PM
Oct 2013
Its kinda based on thoughts and imagination but no tin the way you think. Basically there is an area of your brain that determines your ability to cast magic, speed and strength. However in order to use magic well its based on your ability imagine the spell out.

Like you have to visualize your target and what is to occur and proccess it in your mind, however if you lack the talent in magic than it will only get you so far.

Edios is basically information of the world, make more sense if you view the entire world from a computer stand point, entire world, everything is made of information, and your effecting that information to cast magic, and why magic don't last because it will try to restore itself to before it was changed.
Apr 15, 2014 10:39 PM

Feb 2014
Excellent explanation of the Magic System OP. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Apr 15, 2014 10:55 PM
Aug 2012
Nicely done, that must have taken quite some time. I wish they put some of the explanation within the anime but then some people would have become "Bored".

Btw the manga also explains the magics with picture example so interested people can take a look if you are confused. The magic system in Mahouka is pretty interesting and can be very complicated at times.

Apr 15, 2014 11:11 PM

May 2010
I've asked this all over but it seems this magic system is missing one key thing; what sort of energy does magic use to manipulate the Eidos? In FMA, it was diastrophic energy from the movement of tectonic plates. In Mass Effect, it was running an electric current over eezo. In Drakengard/NieR, it was essentially blood magic (pact magic to be more precise).
Apr 15, 2014 11:34 PM

Apr 2014
Great explanation, maybe some people getting "bored" when read explanation of the magic system but its fun for find out how the magic work.
Apr 16, 2014 1:13 AM

Jul 2013
wrenchbread said:
I've asked this all over but it seems this magic system is missing one key thing; what sort of energy does magic use to manipulate the Eidos? In FMA, it was diastrophic energy from the movement of tectonic plates. In Mass Effect, it was running an electric current over eezo. In Drakengard/NieR, it was essentially blood magic (pact magic to be more precise).

It's an energy called Psion.

SinarBlood said:

Psions and Pushions

Psions are particles without substance that are born from intention and thought, and are one of the basic driving forces of magic, being utilized in spells. Pushions are mysterious particles, sometimes referred to as Spirit Particles, are particles thought to be born in part from the emotion created by intention thought, but their use is not as well known. Much less magic uses or effects Pushions compared to Psions. Well most magicians can see Psions, only those who have Hyper-sensitivity to spirit particle emissions can see Pushions well.

In the anime, it's those glittering particles that come out during activation sequences.
EasyGo-erApr 16, 2014 2:16 AM

Apr 16, 2014 1:51 AM
Jun 2010
Magic in the series is more base off of calculation, the imagination can only let you come up with new ways of calculations.

A better example to use in comparison, is the movie matrix, where the world is fill with '1s' and '0s.' If you can manipulate those '1s' and '0s', you can alter the world objects and affects.
Apr 16, 2014 6:48 AM
Jan 2014
Added a section on magical technicians themselves, as well as changing my Psions and Pushion section first sentence
Psions are particles without substance that are born from intention and thought, and are one of the basic driving forces of magic, being utilized in spells.

to
Psions are particles without substance that are born from intention and thought, and are one of the basic driving forces of magic, being utilized and consumed in spells.

This is to make it more clear that psions are the energy being used in magic as it wasn't perfectly clear to a previous poster.
Apr 16, 2014 6:53 AM
Aug 2012
@SinarBlood:

You can add a simple explanation for engraving-type as it was shown already. Other than that, nice job.

Apr 16, 2014 7:03 AM
Jan 2014
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
@SinarBlood:

You can add a simple explanation for engraving-type as it was shown already. Other than that, nice job.

Ok I have added a simple explanation for engrave-type magic.
Apr 16, 2014 9:34 AM

May 2010
EasyGo-er said:
wrenchbread said:

SinarBlood said:

Psions and Pushions

Psions are particles without substance that are born from intention and thought, and are one of the basic driving forces of magic, being utilized in spells. Pushions are mysterious particles, sometimes referred to as Spirit Particles, are particles thought to be born in part from the emotion created by intention thought, but their use is not as well known. Much less magic uses or effects Pushions compared to Psions. Well most magicians can see Psions, only those who have Hyper-sensitivity to spirit particle emissions can see Pushions well.

In the anime, it's those glittering particles that come out during activation sequences.

SinarBlood said:
Added a section on magical technicians themselves, as well as changing my Psions and Pushion section first sentence
Psions are particles without substance that are born from intention and thought, and are one of the basic driving forces of magic, being utilized in spells.

to
Psions are particles without substance that are born from intention and thought, and are one of the basic driving forces of magic, being utilized and consumed in spells.

This is to make it more clear that psions are the energy being used in magic as it wasn't perfectly clear to a previous poster.

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm interested in the energy content of whatever powers magic in that world, which are psions in this case. It seems to violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (while e=mc^2 is used as is) where it would take immense amounts of energy to alter the current state of an object/phenomenon. Since psions are created via thought and intention, wouldn't that mean mages are pretty broken? That's extrapolating from our physical laws (since they use the same ones); psions would have to have incredible amounts of energy to power magic reactions due to the 2nd Law.

Heck, why harness them for magic when they can be used as a near unlimited energy source.
Apr 16, 2014 11:31 AM
Jan 2014
wrenchbread said:

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm interested in the energy content of whatever powers magic in that world, which are psions in this case. It seems to violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (while e=mc^2 is used as is) where it would take immense amounts of energy to alter the current state of an object/phenomenon. Since psions are created via thought and intention, wouldn't that mean mages are pretty broken? That's extrapolating from our physical laws (since they use the same ones); psions would have to have incredible amounts of energy to power magic reactions due to the 2nd Law.

Heck, why harness them for magic when they can be used as a near unlimited energy source.

I am not sure how well I can argue a point on this but I will try. This is actually somewhat discussed in the books so some of this will be what is explained there while some will be my own views.

To begin Psions only seem to be usable as a source of power when being used for magic, it cannot be captured by a non-magician and used to power something else.A magician also can only use their own psions in magic. Secondly though a magician is constantly producing psions, using to much can and will lead to exhaustion, so it cannot be used continuously. In extreme cases with some magical abilities, overuse can result in death. Furthermore as mentioned in my post, a particular Eidos can only be affected by a single spell at a time so a single storage device can only work with one mage. As spells interfere with one another timing is also difficult for the production of a continuous flow of energy. If they cast a spell to rewrite the Eidos on top of a spell already cast, the second spell would have to be stronger than the first, and the eventual third than the second, etc. So that means that it is a very difficult thing to make a near continuous flow of magic required for such a schemata since a magician eventually becomes unable to rewrite their prior magic, and if they wait for their magic to end, it is no longer a continous flow of energy. Furthermore a magician being forced to act as a "battery" for the energy of the world is very demoralizing. As mentioned when I altered my OP earlier today to include info on magical technicians, a magician has to have will and confidence in their magical abilities. Magic is also affected by mental state, so being reduced doing such a thing would make many magical technicians demoralized and their magic weaker and weaker over time. Besides that many magicians specialize in magic that isn't so easily converted into energy, and magicians are needed in the military. If one put to many magicians into a civilian role like that it would invite attacks from other countries. It is a more complicated problem than it first seems.
Regardless (if I may give a minor spoiler which shouldn't ruin anything to plot critical if you read but relates to your thoughts):
Apr 16, 2014 12:18 PM
Aug 2012
@Sinarblood nicely described.

@wrenchbread: You raised a good point, one that is already brought up and discussed in the LN specifically during the Visitor Arc(Vol 10). Trying to describe it this early would be major spoilers as it is somewhat related to the plot and we probably won't see those things till second season.

Also magicians aren't broken and magic isn't simply unlimited. Overuse can cause breakdown of health and death as shown in LNs in several occasions. One of the main reasons the reserves exist is to take the place of the Blooms......because some can lose control of their powers or accidents can forever make them unable to use magic.
Dragon_Slayer_XApr 16, 2014 12:21 PM

Apr 19, 2014 9:02 PM
Jan 2014
Added in a section on Loop casting under CAD's
I have added a small section on counter magic, mainly in preparation for the explanation to come in next episode, and because I realized that I have not mentioned it. I have added Zone interference, as it is the most basic of counter magic and doesn't count as a spoiler (though it is not what Tatsuya used in the last scene).

As the counter magic Tatsuya used should be explained next episode I will not yet put it up yet.

Before anyone asks,to keep things spoiler free, I will not be adding a section about that self restoration ability.

I also added to my Eidos section that rewriting the Eidos is sometimes called phenomena rewriting.

As a note to LN readers that compare my loop casting section to the novels (this isn't a spoiler but more an answer on specific word usage)
Apr 20, 2014 2:08 AM
Aug 2012
@SinarBlood: How about putting info about "Sonic Blade"?

Jan 5, 2015 8:35 AM

Mar 2012
I would say that the description of how CAD works is missing some important details about conversion from the activation sequence to the magic Sequence. Activation sequence is constructed by CAD using the caster psions but after that the sequence is absorbed by Magic Calculation Area which is part of the magician subconsciousness. Conversion from the activation sequence to the magic sequence is made by Magic Calculation Area where some of variables (target, coordinates, speed) are filled. Therefore CAD isn't constructing magic sequence by itself but helps the magician to construct magic sequence.
Jan 8, 2015 1:58 AM

Jul 2009
EasyGo-er said:
wrenchbread said:

SinarBlood said:

Psions and Pushions

Actually I think the "Visitor" arc explains that psions aren't the energy that changes the Eidos. The psions drive the magic sequence & they are basically thought particles whereas pushions are spirit particles. Psions drive the magic sequence & activation. The change in the Eidos is initiated by an energy (which is as of yet unknown in the Mahouka universe - theorized to have come from another dimension) & then driven by the energy of the system.
Eg: Thermal energy being converted to Kinetic energy would require something to drive the conversion, the exact nature of that something isn't defined as of yet & is one of the causes of people accusing Magicians of drawing powers from demons.

NOTE: I cannot make the above statement with 100% certainity, but that is what I understood from the LN.
Jan 8, 2015 12:51 PM

May 2013
Magic in Mahouka doesn't exactly follow law of energy conservation. It's reality warping and the energy just appears, but reality counteracts it and drains energy from target's surroundings.
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Jan 8, 2015 11:35 PM

Jul 2009
jakkubus said:
Magic in Mahouka doesn't exactly follow law of energy conservation. It's reality warping and the energy just appears, but reality counteracts it and drains energy from target's surroundings.

Actually in the visitors arc it is stated that it does, where the additional energy for the phenomenon alteration comes from is the question that magic researchers are trying to find out. The parasite incident hints that the other dimension theory might be true.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

456 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 16, 10:37 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.