Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai' Receives Anime Adaptation [Update 1/17]

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 15, 2014 2:26 AM

Dec 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
They fulfill their purpose which is good, but that doesn't mean they are not flawed from a critical perspective that takes cinema criticism into account.. which is why usually Bay movies are rated very lowly but gross very high. And that is fine, but I think anime should achieve the same amount of professionalism in that regard.

I think it would suck if every series would be a high quality series from a critical perspective. Variety is important. My point is that anime is an entertainment and not an art industry!

Also the word flawed is completely wrong used here!
Domo domo! Kami desu :D
Apr 15, 2014 2:31 AM

Apr 2009
Liph said:

Ofc, however it start getting tiring to see it in every single dicussion or new announcement. It's like a damn plague that really starts to become annoying.

Well, it's a pressing issue that often gets ignored.

Xenoplas said:
Nidhoeggr said:
They fulfill their purpose which is good, but that doesn't mean they are not flawed from a critical perspective that takes cinema criticism into account.. which is why usually Bay movies are rated very lowly but gross very high. And that is fine, but I think anime should achieve the same amount of professionalism in that regard.

I think it would suck if every series would be a high quality series from a critical perspective!

Well, not everything CAN be good. It's an illusion to think every series can be like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad... however, the average quality could be a lot higher. Look at US TV drama series. Shows like GoT are rare exceptions, but the usual quality for sucessful titles is pretty damn high in recent years which is why it is praised worldwide. On the other hand, Japanese anime and German TV share a sad connection by being way too focussed on itself and thus repeating the same stuff over and over again with decreased quality. They make money of course... with the same audience while everybody else turned away.
I get we want anime to be different because it is not our primary cultural circle, but that's just how it is and I think everyone would profit more if there were more shows like Space Brothers, Chihayafuru or even The World God Only Knows, etc.

And entertainment is ALWAYS art as well. Stop seperating them.
And whos aid quality is only present in a few genres? Even a harem can be decent like TWGOK showed (or Monogatari to an extent).
NidhoeggrApr 15, 2014 2:38 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 15, 2014 2:32 AM

Mar 2013
woaah, this news make me happy cause i'm just start reading the novel 1 week ago :D
Apr 15, 2014 2:34 AM

Dec 2011
Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad are both flawed.

I can say that with confidence even though I don't really know anything about Breaking Bad. As for Game of Thrones, I stopped reading that because I disliked how much the series jumped around from one group of characters to another.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 15, 2014 2:36 AM

Apr 2009
kuuderes_shadow said:

I can say that with confidence even though I don't really know anything about Breaking Bad. As for Game of Thrones, I stopped reading that because I disliked how much the series jumped around from one group of characters to another.

They are flawed, of course. And these flaws are VERY harshly discussed in fan forums, have you seen some of the threads in official forums about how bad the last two books were? Of course a lot of shitflinging is involved there as well, but at least there is a very active critical minority present. I wish this would be the case for certain subgenres here as well.
Apr 15, 2014 2:38 AM

Dec 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
Well, not everything CAN be good. It's an illusion to think every series can be like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad... however, the average quality could be a lot higher. Look at US TV drama series. Shows like GoT are rare exceptions, but the usual quality for sucessful titles is pretty damn high in recent years which is why it is praised worldwide. On the other hand, Japanese anime and German TV share a sad connection by being way too focussed on itself and thus repeating the same stuff over and over again with decreased quality. They make money of course... with the same audience while everybody else turned away.
I get we want anime to be different because it is not our primary cultural circle, but that's just how it is and I think everyone would profit more if there were more shows like Space Brothers, Chihayafuru or even The World God Only Knows, etc.

Of course it would be nice to have more shows like that but that doesn't make everything else bad or flawed, does it? Believe me, I would be extremely happy to see another series like Ef - a tale of melodies! I was pretty disappointed to see not even one promising drama romance series this season. But that's not a reason to blame all those new harem-rom-coms for it ;)

btw: Kaminomi could be considered a low quality series from a critical perspective too ;) Not sayin I didn't like it though :)
Apr 15, 2014 2:39 AM

Jul 2013
YES YES YES. Thank you Fujimi Shobo.
Edgy harems, tragic pasts, guns blazing ? Count me in !
Still, makes me wonder if they will animate all that gory scenes.

So, we have this and Heroine for probably the fall/winter seasons.
Guess Otaria and Rising x Rydeen will be left to late 2015, if they ever are choosen.
JoksPacifistApr 15, 2014 3:45 AM
Apr 15, 2014 2:40 AM

Apr 2009
KamiNomi is not exactly high literature, sure. But it is fairly well-written for trivial stuff and - except for the last arc - has good pacing, framing, etc.
Even trivial art/entertainment can be very good from a critical perspective - like the first Die Hard movie, for example. Or the first Terminator movies.
Apr 15, 2014 2:44 AM

Aug 2012
So if I get everything right you can like whatever you want as long as you don't get more of the stuff you like because I want more stuff of what I like that you don't.

Damn, we got a problem on our hands here.
RabbiacApr 15, 2014 2:51 AM
Apr 15, 2014 2:45 AM

Dec 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
KamiNomi is not exactly high literature, sure. But it is fairly well-written for trivial stuff and - except for the last arc - has good pacing, framing, etc.
Even trivial art/entertainment can be very good from a critical perspective - like the first Die Hard movie, for example. Or the first Terminator movies.

and that's my point ;) even the most stupid series can be somehow high quality! okay that was a bit exaggerated :3 high quality isn't something specific - it can differ from movie to movie and from series to series. And Enjoyment is a quality too so if a series is extremely enjoyable than it is high quality too at least from the enjoyment perspective! and something that is high quality in some aspects can't be completely flawed ;)

or for example do you know byousoku 5 centimeter? from some perspectives it's lame and has a bad plot but from another perspective it's an extremely beautifull piece of art ;) or back to entertainment: in my opinion the second monogatari season was much more enjoyable than bakemonogatari but most people say that bake is better because the second season goes into a entertainmentonly direction. i have to say that it's true but I still think that the second season is better - just in other aspects! :)
Also from your previous comments it looks like you aren't very fond of the quality of OreImo. I have to say that OreImo is stupid in several ways but I had an excellent time watchin it so in my opinion it's a good series at least from the entertainment aspect :)

I think you get what I mean :D
KshmirApr 15, 2014 3:04 AM
Apr 15, 2014 2:45 AM

Dec 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

They are flawed, of course. And these flaws are VERY harshly discussed in fan forums, have you seen some of the threads in official forums about how bad the last two books were? Of course a lot of shitflinging is involved there as well, but at least there is a very active critical minority present. I wish this would be the case for certain subgenres here as well.

Point granted, but at least they're harshly discussed by people who have actually read/watched the series they are criticising.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 15, 2014 3:30 AM

Jun 2011
Had the manga on hold on the 5th chapter and rated it a 4, hmm, I liked the premise, this could be enjoyable.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 15, 2014 3:37 AM

Mar 2012
Oh this is fast. Still have to finish reading the first volume.

P.S: Still waiting for Psycho Love Comedy adaptation.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 15, 2014 4:38 AM

Aug 2013
NeoAnkara said:

Yeah i'm also eagerly waiting for Psycome's since there are enough volumes for 1-cour adaptation.
Apr 15, 2014 4:41 AM

Mar 2012
Hakuryuukou said:
NeoAnkara said:

Yeah i'm also eagerly waiting for Psycome's since there are enough volumes for 1-cour adaptation.
You cannot say no yandere heroine.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 15, 2014 5:14 AM

Jul 2013
*Reads premise*
"Oh, this sounds great. Will watch!"
*Sees ecchi tag*
"I'll pass"

Nidhoeggr said:
I can prove it by analyzing the structure, writing style, framing, characterization, etc. using contemporary methods accepted in literary criticism. We can debate about this, but the weight of such an opinion backed by these facts and theories weights far more in a critical discourse than a simple "I enjoy it and this is my opinion!!11". And sadly, I never saw any analysis about these LN that were very favourable under these terms...

But who knows, maybe your analysis of Ore no Imouto shows how it is a work of fine literature that can be compared to Nabokov's Lolita :D
Is it that hard to just rate purely off enjoyability? Why else would you be watching something in the first place if it isn't enjoyable?
MinagatachiApr 15, 2014 5:21 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2014 6:03 AM

Apr 2013
Another shitty anime that won't sell

ggwp
Apr 15, 2014 6:04 AM
Feb 2012
As soon as I saw 'light novel' in the title, I knew I'd be in for a fun read. And the usual suspects didn't disappoint me.

Concerning the adaption, I couldn't care less about it. Some others will do that in my stead I'm certain.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 15, 2014 6:06 AM

Nov 2013

On-Topic ;
I've been waiting for this~
enjoyed reading the LN, but not so much with the manga's tho', it's kinda bland?
Hopes a good studio and a good director pick it up~
which would be a deciding factor, either it'll be enjoyable or a chore to watch.

that's seems the case with most anime adaption for me~
the most recent WCW and Arpeggio are fun to 'watch', but reading the manga doesnt give the same enjoyment.
[ In this case I've read WCW manga first before the anime ;
whilst Arpeggio is the opposite , so its probably not about 'being spoiled' by the other material ]

Will wait for further news update i guess~.
ShirayuqiApr 15, 2014 6:17 AM

-ERROR 404-
-Cannot find Plot Server-
Apr 15, 2014 6:27 AM
Apr 2012
This sounds very much like my cup of tea. Art is nice, I adore any and all forms of magic so the premise has me intrigued. Wiping out individuals who possess magic? Count me in.
Apr 15, 2014 6:27 AM

Nov 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
RyanSaotome said:
Nidhoeggr said:
So because it is niche it can't have quality and everybody should participate in a downward spiral of even more specific fetish series?
Look at Western fantasy and SciFi, too much inbreeding is not healthy... then again, people who like imouto incest LN probably ignore this little fact abut the entire deal :D

Its your opinion that its not "Quality". Personally I couldn't care less about most of the artsy/mature kinda series that the people who hate on otaku stuff like. I find the otaku stuff is of better quality and far more enjoyable to watch.

Crazy that people have different opinions huh?

You can enjoy it all the way you want. But enjoyment =/= quality. Is that so hard to understand? I like Daimidaler but it is by no means a good show just because I like it.

I respuctfully disagree. Enjoyment does equal quality.

For me, the most important aspect of anime is entertainment. And it annoys the hell of me that people consider their opinions to be facts.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Apr 15, 2014 6:28 AM
Feb 2012
I wonder how well these harem shows would fare if they went down the Yosuga no Sora route and actually got it on then and there.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 15, 2014 6:52 AM
Dec 2011
I knew that Nidhoeggr would be shitposting in this thread even without opening it. How did I know? Well that's because that's every fucking LN news thread.
Apr 15, 2014 7:03 AM
Oct 2013
Ok,i will look for it... a curious ans interesting plot... c'mon then!
Apr 15, 2014 7:06 AM

Nov 2011
GuiltyKing said:
I wonder how well these harem shows would fare if they went down the Yosuga no Sora route and actually got it on then and there.

10/10 material if they involved traps.

Apr 15, 2014 7:46 AM

Apr 2014
Gonna wait for the anime release to get a clear judgement.
But the synopsis is not very appealing and this seems full of fanservice.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Apr 15, 2014 9:46 AM

Aug 2011
The illustrations and the synopsis were pretty interesting until I went and read the manga :/. It may or may not be different in the LNs though. I'll still give it a try, probably.
Apr 15, 2014 10:31 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
Amiluhur said:
I know that i should stop being bitter over things, but man, why do we always get LN adaptations with awesome premise but the standard LN conventions? The manga got me bored almost instantly because of that. A story about a group of witch hunters that, rather than focusing on the intricacies and technicalities of the world of witch-hunting, instead smeared over by endless panty-shots, titty-jiggling, gross running gags, and (seemingly) harem in building. It totally ruins everything despite the serious and rather dark tone that fits the premise.

Sucks.

Sadly, it's the target audience and the authors are doing their job to please them. Which reminds me, the same happens with visual novels that have no sex scenes.
Apr 15, 2014 11:54 AM

Nov 2008
i think i recently started reading the manga so might as well stop and wait for the anime.
Apr 15, 2014 7:54 PM

Jul 2008
rederoin said:
Nidhoeggr said:
RyanSaotome said:
Nidhoeggr said:
So because it is niche it can't have quality and everybody should participate in a downward spiral of even more specific fetish series?
Look at Western fantasy and SciFi, too much inbreeding is not healthy... then again, people who like imouto incest LN probably ignore this little fact abut the entire deal :D

Its your opinion that its not "Quality". Personally I couldn't care less about most of the artsy/mature kinda series that the people who hate on otaku stuff like. I find the otaku stuff is of better quality and far more enjoyable to watch.

Crazy that people have different opinions huh?

You can enjoy it all the way you want. But enjoyment =/= quality. Is that so hard to understand? I like Daimidaler but it is by no means a good show just because I like it.

For me, the most important aspect of anime is entertainment. And it annoys the hell of me that people consider their opinions to be facts.

But enjoyment does not equal quality, that's not even something up to debate. Enjoyment is a fully subjective subject, an individual can enjoy a show while another may loathe the same show. It is distinct to everyone.

Quality is something that is much more objective.
Even though I agree that it is impossible for a human to perfectly judge the quality of something as complex as an anime, I believe that by following standards acknowledged by the world we can reach a near perfect evaluation of a work's quality. Of course putting a global ratting on an anime would be hardly representative of a show's quality so we'll have to evaluate every component from an anime and rate them in different aspects.

Quality in it's truest sense is something that is superior to the average of what it is compared to. Now, while it is easy to compare purely objective matters such as the animation of different anime, it is much complex to compare some others aspect of an anime such as the story or the soundtrack.

In the end the most accurate way to evaluate such troublesome aspect is to verify how well they serve their intended purposes.
I'll take Oreimo's story as an example since it became a classic case in the last few years. It would be wrong to evaluate it while comparing it to completely different type of novel such as Spice and Wolf because they got almost nothing in common right?

Every work have only one thing in common and it is a purpose, therefore it is the only way to make a serious evaluation of a story's quality.
While there are more objective way to evaluate the form of a work (quality of writing, figure of speech, how the story was planned, does it have contradictions? , etc.) there is hardly anything more meaningful than 'purpose' for a fair comparison.

Returning to Oreimo, to evaluate it's story quality we should wonder about the purpose behind it. It is a book aimed at a certain niche public and obviously not aimed for the general public. It is a book that was extremely well received by this said public so it is a commercial success. Still evaluating a work's quality on it's commercial success alone wouldn't be a great idea. That's why we would need to divide the story in even smaller parts and verify how these parts serves their intended purpose as well.

In short everyone would agree with me that evaluating a story is a lot of works but it is a finite task that can be achieved.

Now even if I say 'quality', 'quality' is only something that is established by our society's standard and it evolve with time but it is definitively possible to assert a work's quality in a given period of time even if it is a tremendous ordeal.

Now there are a lot of shows I like that are actually pretty bad and vice versa. If humans were made to seek what is objectively the best then we would all like the same thing, individualism is a beautiful thing but we shouldn't be so fast at rejecting the objective value of what we like just because it is based on our society's standard. After all someone who reject his own society is someone that shouldn't profit from it.

Oh well I ended up writing a small essay. My posts often tend to get out of control when I start writing.

TL;DR Like what you like but it's not up to you to decide quality. It is perfectly normal not to like what is the best since in the end we do not like something for what it is but for it's flaws.
AlycenApr 15, 2014 7:58 PM
Apr 15, 2014 11:06 PM

Sep 2012
mrspiral said:
I knew that Nidhoeggr would be shitposting in this thread even without opening it. How did I know? Well that's because that's every fucking LN news thread.
I hate to sound like a white knight, but he usually posts in every news announcement thread. I think people have the right to post their first impressions of shows that are announced, good or bad.

I don't see how giving your initial opinion on a show in a thread dedicated to the announcement of that show is considered shitposting. If you go by that logic, every positive statement about this announcement is equal as much "shitposting", as well as everybody arguing with him over quality or whatever.

Speaking of shiposting, your post didn't even mention anything about this show and is literally off topic.
Apr 15, 2014 11:50 PM
May 2013
Red_Keys said:
mrspiral said:
I hate to sound like a white knight, but he usually posts in every news announcement thread. I think people have the right to post their first impressions of shows that are announced, good or bad.

I don't see how giving your initial opinion on a show in a thread dedicated to the announcement of that show is considered shitposting. If you go by that logic, every positive statement about this announcement is equal as much "shitposting", as well as everybody arguing with him over quality or whatever.

He has multiple posts on the first page of the thread and you would have us believe those are all his "first impressions" or "initial opinion" of this show's announcement? Have you read them? Nice try but no.

Besides, you contradicted yourself with the arguing about quality thing. Unless you think him arguing about quality is him giving his "first impressions".
HahalollawlApr 15, 2014 11:53 PM
Apr 16, 2014 12:24 AM

Oct 2011
Synopsis seems nice...and expect lotsa fanservice.
Apr 16, 2014 12:35 AM

Apr 2013
Shangetsu said:

But enjoyment does not equal quality, that's not even something up to debate. Enjoyment is a fully subjective subject, an individual can enjoy a show while another may loathe the same show. It is distinct to everyone.

Quality is something that is much more objective.
Even though I agree that it is impossible for a human to perfectly judge the quality of something as complex as an anime, I believe that by following standards acknowledged by the world we can reach a near perfect evaluation of a work's quality. Of course putting a global ratting on an anime would be hardly representative of a show's quality so we'll have to evaluate every component from an anime and rate them in different aspects.

Quality in it's truest sense is something that is superior to the average of what it is compared to. Now, while it is easy to compare purely objective matters such as the animation of different anime, it is much complex to compare some others aspect of an anime such as the story or the soundtrack.

In the end the most accurate way to evaluate such troublesome aspect is to verify how well they serve their intended purposes.
I'll take Oreimo's story as an example since it became a classic case in the last few years. It would be wrong to evaluate it while comparing it to completely different type of novel such as Spice and Wolf because they got almost nothing in common right?

Every work have only one thing in common and it is a purpose, therefore it is the only way to make a serious evaluation of a story's quality.
While there are more objective way to evaluate the form of a work (quality of writing, figure of speech, how the story was planned, does it have contradictions? , etc.) there is hardly anything more meaningful than 'purpose' for a fair comparison.

Returning to Oreimo, to evaluate it's story quality we should wonder about the purpose behind it. It is a book aimed at a certain niche public and obviously not aimed for the general public. It is a book that was extremely well received by this said public so it is a commercial success. Still evaluating a work's quality on it's commercial success alone wouldn't be a great idea. That's why we would need to divide the story in even smaller parts and verify how these parts serves their intended purpose as well.

In short everyone would agree with me that evaluating a story is a lot of works but it is a finite task that can be achieved.

Now even if I say 'quality', 'quality' is only something that is established by our society's standard and it evolve with time but it is definitively possible to assert a work's quality in a given period of time even if it is a tremendous ordeal.

Now there are a lot of shows I like that are actually pretty bad and vice versa. If humans were made to seek what is objectively the best then we would all like the same thing, individualism is a beautiful thing but we shouldn't be so fast at rejecting the objective value of what we like just because it is based on our society's standard. After all someone who reject his own society is someone that shouldn't profit from it.

Oh well I ended up writing a small essay. My posts often tend to get out of control when I start writing.

TL;DR Like what you like but it's not up to you to decide quality. It is perfectly normal not to like what is the best since in the end we do not like something for what it is but for it's flaws.

While I agree that enjoyment and quality aren't the same thing, you're in the wrong in believing that you can even become remotely close of being objective while judging quality. Just like enjoyment, judging quality is an act completely subjective. you can take all the time you want to consider every single part of what composed the show before concluding, take in consideration the purpose of the work (and by doing that you'll be indeed the closest possible of being objective, on that I agree) it won't change a damn thing in the end. Your evaluation will be completely subjective.
Why? For several reasons. One of them being that no matter how much you try, the weighting of all items used in your evaluation will vary from person to person. Even if you make that weighting vary depending on the show's purpose (on which I agree to do), the final decision for each item's weight in the overal rating will be personal. And completely subjective.
Same goes for the list of items you consider. Do you regroup item X with item Y in you evaluation or not. Like evaluation music and voice acting separately or not. Animation and graphism/background details. Plot and character development. And so on. Depending on how much value you put in each that decision will vary.
And the more you try to be detailed in the notation, the worse it gets by introducing decisions on sub-items. So this CANNOT be solved objectively.

And obviously, deciding to have all items with the same weight (like 10 pts for each of the 10 item list" ) is even further away of being objective and is a subjective decision in itself.
Consensus about each item's weight as well as the list of considered item won't make you closer of being objective either. This is, after all, just the majority's opinion, and the majority's taste don't (and by far) equal objectivity.

The problem of some persons here (and in other places as well, obviously) is that they are being delusional about being able to judge a work objectively just by thinking enough about it. That's not possible. Those people should get over it already and stop looking down on every things that they don't approve of as if it was an absolute fact that it's bad.
Apr 16, 2014 1:50 AM
May 2012
mrspiral said:
Takaoreo said:
I'm not even going to bother reading these posts and I can already imagine in my head multiple pages of Nidhoeggr trying to impress others with his psychotic ranting.

Dudes, I know right ahahaha.
However, he needs to do what he needs to do.

Anyway, I will watch this Anime because I enjoy this kind of Anime.
See, Anime like this are made to appeal to us, people who enjoy this kind of Anime, so if you don't like it, then don't watch it. Besides, I know that there are many Anime with a promising synopsis but when it starts airing, it fails, but you should always wait for it to air before you start talkin' shit about it. Even if you don't like a certain Anime because of your own reason, some people will like it because of their reasons, too. Like most of you, I think that SAO is a bad Anime adaption too, but I enjoyed it as it is, so fuck me, would I rate it low because I think that it's a bad adaption, or would I rate it somewhat high because I enjoyed it, I rated it 8 haha.
I can do this all day, but unfortunately, I have to do my other shits.
I just wanted to post my opinion, because some of you here said that there is nothing wrong to post your opinion, so I posted some of my opinion.
Some people might agree with me while some people might not, but hey, we all have different opinions, it's just that some people are open minded enough to understand other people's opinion even if it goes against his own opinion, thus making peace.
Apr 16, 2014 4:11 AM

Nov 2011
Shangetsu said:
[

But enjoyment does not equal quality, that's not even something up to debate.

Like I said, thats my opinion. Quality and entertainment being seperate implies that a quality can be objective. Which is false.

If a show is not enjoyable? how can it be good? The quality of entertainment(anime, in this case) is decided by how enjoyable.
You're free to disagree and all, but this is something I know i'm not wrong about.

Like what you like but it's not up to you to decide quality. It is perfectly normal not to like what is the best since in the end we do not like something for what it is but for it's flaws.

Saying this just makes you sound ridiculously arrogant.
If I don't like something, then in my opinion, it can't be the best. This is common sense. Who the hell would praise a show they don't even enjoy/like?
rederoinApr 16, 2014 4:16 AM

Apr 16, 2014 8:26 AM

Dec 2013
Hahalollawl said:
Red_Keys said:
mrspiral said:

He has multiple posts on the first page of the thread and you would have us believe those are all his "first impressions" or "initial opinion" of this show's announcement? Have you read them? Nice try but no.

Besides, you contradicted yourself with the arguing about quality thing. Unless you think him arguing about quality is him giving his "first impressions".

Now now, stop fighting ;) I definitely disagree with Nidhoeggrs opinion but that's still no reason to insult each other!
Apr 16, 2014 10:20 AM
Feb 2012
Hahalollawl said:
Red_Keys said:
mrspiral said:

It's more entertaining to see Nid make fun of shitty light novels than reading dozens of "will watch" "won't watch" "bla bla boobies" posts.
Apr 16, 2014 10:55 AM
May 2013
GuiltyKing said:

It's more entertaining to see Nid make fun of shitty light novels than reading dozens of "will watch" "won't watch" "bla bla boobies" posts.

More entertaining than boobies? What is this, crazy talk!?
Apr 16, 2014 10:56 AM
Jul 2018
RyanSaotome said:

You really don't need anything more than "I enjoy it", since thats why people watch entertainment in the first place. It doesn't matter if other people like something, which is what "High quality" shows really come down to. Its an opinion of what the right way to write a story is that is shared by a group of people. But other people may prefer a different way of story telling or writing style. That doesn't make them wrong or that they prefer "lesser quality" shows. It means they have a different opinion on what they find enjoyable out of a show then you do.

rederoin said:

Zefyris said:

The problem of some persons here (and in other places as well, obviously) is that they are being delusional about being able to judge a work objectively just by thinking enough about it. That's not possible. Those people should get over it already and stop looking down on every things that they don't approve of as if it was an absolute fact that it's bad.

Nothing to add, but I agree so much. You guys said it!
Apr 16, 2014 10:56 AM

Nov 2011
GuiltyKing said:
Hahalollawl said:
Red_Keys said:
mrspiral said:

Making fun of light novels he hasn't read*

Apr 16, 2014 11:13 AM

Apr 2009
Zefyris said:

While I agree that enjoyment and quality aren't the same thing, you're in the wrong in believing that you can even become remotely close of being objective while judging quality. Just like enjoyment, judging quality is an act completely subjective. you can take all the time you want to consider every single part of what composed the show before concluding, take in consideration the purpose of the work (and by doing that you'll be indeed the closest possible of being objective, on that I agree) it won't change a damn thing in the end. Your evaluation will be completely subjective.
Why? For several reasons. One of them being that no matter how much you try, the weighting of all items used in your evaluation will vary from person to person. Even if you make that weighting vary depending on the show's purpose (on which I agree to do), the final decision for each item's weight in the overal rating will be personal. And completely subjective.
Same goes for the list of items you consider. Do you regroup item X with item Y in you evaluation or not. Like evaluation music and voice acting separately or not. Animation and graphism/background details. Plot and character development. And so on. Depending on how much value you put in each that decision will vary.
And the more you try to be detailed in the notation, the worse it gets by introducing decisions on sub-items. So this CANNOT be solved objectively.

And obviously, deciding to have all items with the same weight (like 10 pts for each of the 10 item list" ) is even further away of being objective and is a subjective decision in itself.
Consensus about each item's weight as well as the list of considered item won't make you closer of being objective either. This is, after all, just the majority's opinion, and the majority's taste don't (and by far) equal objectivity.

I'd prefer the term critical instead because I assume it is obvious that complete objectivity is nothing but an utopian ideal nobody can accomplish. However, we can pursue said ideal and the willingness of entering this endeavor is what seperates blindly consuming from actually analyzing.

rederoin said:

If I don't like something, then in my opinion, it can't be the best. This is common sense. Who the hell would praise a show they don't even enjoy/like?

One of my ex-girlfriends HATED Casablanca with a passion, yet she admitted it was one of the most influental and best romance movies of all time. Scientists usually try to seperate their personal opinion and analyze a specific subject, relation or whatever as critical as possible. I personally greatly dislike Shingeki and Psychopass, yet gave them both 7/10 because I think they are very well crafted in aspects. Lots of people irl I know seperate their OPINION from a more critical perspective, or at least aknowledge the validity of this approach.
In that sense, people who priorize enjoyment over everything are the ones who are narrowminded and anti-intellectual.

Red_Keys said:

Speaking of shiposting, your post didn't even mention anything about this show and is literally off topic.

You echo what I said earlier and since we are on that topic I must say that, even though we almost always disagree on the evaluation of certain series like Guilty Crown, the discussions were more interesting than all the tons of ad hominem users like the ones you mentioned throw around. At least we try to discuss arguments, however heated they might become in the process.

rederoin said:

Making fun of light novels he hasn't read*

I try to read at least the first few chapters of every LN/manga that get an adaption announced. I also read the first Twilight books (The romance is actually better than SAO) and always watch at least one or two episodes of an adaption before dropping it. I give it a chance to impress me. However, my patience with literature is way smaller than my patience with manga or anime because I HATE bad literature. And sadly, most LN are exactly that.
And it's not like you cannot judge LN by their cover 90% of the time, that's exactly the problem: The way too obvious pandering. The fact that I CAN judge them by their cover and be somewhat correct most of the time is the main problem. Or selling point, if you are really in need for some ego stroking through pulp fiction.
NidhoeggrApr 16, 2014 11:23 AM
Apr 16, 2014 11:28 AM
Feb 2012
Hahalollawl said:
GuiltyKing said:

More entertaining than boobies? What is this, crazy talk!?

It's more entertaining than TALKING about boobies. The real thing is a different story of course.
Apr 16, 2014 11:44 AM
May 2013
GuiltyKing said:

It's more entertaining than TALKING about boobies. The real thing is a different story of course.

Rather discuss boobies personally but to each his own.
Apr 16, 2014 11:58 AM
Feb 2012
Hahalollawl said:
GuiltyKing said:

Rather discuss boobies personally but to each his own.

But why only talk about boobies if you can go and get some in RL?
Apr 18, 2014 11:51 AM

Jan 2008
A little late but..

You can like what you like people, just don't raise it some god-like standard and dismiss any and all constructive criticism as "trolling". If MAL users were a little more open minded, we'd have a far more civil place to foster worthwhile discussion that leads to a better appreciation of anime as a whole instead of the constant circlejerking that far too often occurs especially when it comes to LNs.

NOTHING is without flaw, even series of high quality. Perfection is a purely Utopian ideal while we can all work to strive for it, it will be forever out of our collective reach. But just because something is heavily flawed, does not mean that somebody out there can not find it enjoyable.

On-Topic: May not watch, we'll see.
Jan 17, 2015 3:26 AM

Nov 2007
News Update
The studio will be Silver Link.

Source: Yaraon
NaruleachJan 17, 2015 11:31 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 17, 2015 3:32 AM

Aug 2013
Eahh Another harem novel?...

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Jan 17, 2015 3:38 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Haine15 said:
Eahh Another harem novel?...
if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Jan 17, 2015 4:07 AM

Nov 2012
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

22 by ZXEAN »»
3 hours ago

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - 12 hours ago

1 by seweholmes »»
4 hours ago

» Musician wowaka Dies

Sakana-san - Apr 9, 2019

34 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
6 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Medalist' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - May 17, 2023

55 by Adizcool »»
Today, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.