Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Thoughts on Powerpuff Girl Z and it being an anime despite its based on an American cartoon

New
Apr 11, 2014 11:51 PM

Jul 2013
I hella liked the original and I watched the 1st part of the 1st episode of Z and it's aight so far but now they're more mahou shoujo instead of being naturally gifted with superpowers like the original. Also being that Z is based off an American cartoon should it be considered anime or not? This is a first as far as I know, of Japan making an anime of a cartoon that was made in the U.S.
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 11, 2014 11:55 PM
Aug 2012
I didn't know this was a thing.
Apr 11, 2014 11:58 PM

Apr 2011
It's produced by Japan. Therefore, it's an anime.
Apr 11, 2014 11:58 PM

Mar 2012
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1221/Demashitaa!_Powerpuff_Girls_Z

This you mean?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 12, 2014 12:00 AM

Dec 2012
I didn't like it
Apr 12, 2014 12:03 AM

Jul 2013
NeoAnkara said:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1221/Demashitaa!_Powerpuff_Girls_Z

This you mean?

yep.
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

Apr 12, 2014 12:30 AM

Jun 2009
Producers: TV Tokyo, Aniplex, Toei Animation, Sony Music Entertainment

Spot the American "animation" company
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2014 12:47 AM

Jul 2013
AirStyles said:

So theoretically with what you are saying you can have all the cartoons from the U.S. and have Japan make anime on all of them and they would all be considered anime despite originating in the U.S. because they were produced in Japan?
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

Apr 12, 2014 2:49 AM

Apr 2012
For me its not what I would call Anime, but that is just a very subjective term I use, for what I have become to think anime has to have a certain style, feeling to it to be one.

But if I was completely correct, than the word cartoon and anime are both complete bullshit, animation is the way to go. If you want to be more specific you can say american animation instead of cartoon and japanese instead of anime, or you could just call it all animation.

As for Powerpuff girls I never really liked it anyway, it wasnt bad when you didnt have anything else to watch but thats about as much as I liked it, so naturally I wont give Z a try.
baki502Apr 12, 2014 2:53 AM
Apr 12, 2014 2:56 AM

Apr 2011
1L0can0 said:
AirStyles said:

So theoretically with what you are saying you can have all the cartoons from the U.S. and have Japan make anime on all of them and they would all be considered anime despite originating in the U.S. because they were produced in Japan?

Take it like this; would you consider The Ring an American movie or a Japanese movie? You'll have your answer for this thread when you've answered that question.
Apr 12, 2014 2:59 AM

Apr 2012
yhunata said:
1L0can0 said:
AirStyles said:

Take it like this; would you consider The Ring an American movie or a Japanese movie? You'll have your answer for this thread when you've answered that question.

I would consider it a movie because it doesnt fucking matter.
Apr 12, 2014 3:02 AM
Nov 2008
AirStyles said:

don't a lot of anime have their music produced by sony in some way? 'sony music entertainment' is a pretty common thing to see as a mid-way credit throughout an episode.
Apr 12, 2014 4:54 AM
Jun 2009
Heredity said:
AirStyles said:

don't a lot of anime have their music produced by sony in some way? 'sony music entertainment' is a pretty common thing to see as a mid-way credit throughout an episode.

Probably has something to do with Sony owning Aniplex, which is also the reason why LiSA keeps singing the OPs for some of their big projects.
TrisectionApr 12, 2014 5:19 AM
Apr 12, 2014 5:17 AM
Mar 2011
Heredity said:
AirStyles said:

Mainly via Nippon Columbia of thats how it use to be
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 12, 2014 5:27 AM

Aug 2011
Trisection said:
Heredity said:
AirStyles said:

Probably has something to do with Sony owning Aniplex, which is also the reason why LiSA keeps singing the OPs for some of their big projects.

LiSA should sing OPs or EDs for every anime because she is amazing.

1L0can0 said:
AirStyles said:

We have anime based off of comics like Blade and Iron Man, games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, why would it being based off of cartoons be any different?
Apr 12, 2014 5:32 AM

Mar 2014
Anime in my definition = Must have the distinct art style that anime uses, and also look like a laggy computer cinematic game. Origin doesn't matter in its say so.
Apr 12, 2014 5:33 AM

Aug 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
Anime in my definition = Must have the distinct art style that anime uses, and also look like a laggy computer cinematic game. Origin doesn't matter in its say so.

You mean the distinct art style like in Aku no Hana?
Apr 12, 2014 5:38 AM

Mar 2014
mitch3315 said:
Lord_Pooka said:

Never watched Aku no Hanu. By distinct art style, I mean the easily recognizable art style. As in once I look at the art style, I recognize it as an anime immediately.
Apr 12, 2014 5:44 AM

Apr 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
mitch3315 said:
Lord_Pooka said:

Never watched Aku no Hanu. By distinct art style, I mean the easily recognizable art style. As in once I look at the art style, I recognize it as an anime immediately.

So, according to you, the likes of Shin-chan, Panty and Stocking, etc. aren't anime?
Apr 12, 2014 5:47 AM

Aug 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
mitch3315 said:
Lord_Pooka said:

Would you call this anime?

What about this?
mitch3315Apr 12, 2014 5:50 AM
Apr 12, 2014 5:48 AM

Mar 2012
yhunata said:
Lord_Pooka said:
mitch3315 said:
Lord_Pooka said:

So, according to you, the likes of Shin-chan, Panty and Stocking, etc. aren't anime?
Blasphemy. Saying Shin-chan not anime mean denying my childhood.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 12, 2014 9:10 AM

Mar 2014
mitch3315 said:

Anime never looked that half realistic.

mitch3315 said:
What about this?

Wait, that's clay animation. Its not anime at all.

yhunata said:

Dunno about Shin-chan, but I think they're cartoons of Japanese origin. With P&S with Garterbelt having the occasional anime style scene.
Apr 12, 2014 9:14 AM

Apr 2012
yhunata said:

I grew up with Shin Chan thinking it was a "Zeichentrickfilm". It never was anime for me. I never thought of Panty and Stocking as anime either, not only is the art completely cartoonish it also has a vile american toilet humor to it.
mitch3315 said:

What about this?

Both no.

In a perfect world we would call it all simply animation and be done with it, but I can understand why some would want to seggregate cartoons from anime. I myself am rather displeased that european and americant animation is often lumped in togheter, as even european ones usually have a bit of a more distinct style. I stopped seggregating by nationality but more by style. Anime is sort of what most of japanese animations look like, with a few from china and the west that also fit. Cartoon is the like that look "weird" aka mentioned powerpuff girls and those kind of shows, pixar is a own style for me which basically means all cgi movies/series that look similar, and "Zeichentrickfilm" is everything that looks like the old Walt Disney movies and some european drawn animations like "Der kleine Eisbär!".

In the end it doesnt matter tough, as that is only my personal categorization and honestly, "officially" we shouldnt categorize them at all. Just call it all animation and be done with it. Film is just film no matter where its from after all.
Apr 12, 2014 9:17 AM

Sep 2013
My five-year-old niece cried hysterically when I told her Powerpuff Girls Z is anime.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Apr 12, 2014 9:18 AM
Nov 2008
AsianKungFu said:
My five-year-old niece cried hysterically when I told her Powerpuff Girls Z is anime.
i hope you let her down easy. she must have got a terrible fright.

baki502 said:
I never thought of Panty and Stocking as anime either, not only is the art completely cartoonish it also has a vile american toilet humor to it.
i thought you liked that sort of stuff?
no-thanksApr 12, 2014 9:22 AM
Apr 12, 2014 9:21 AM

Aug 2011
baki502 said:

mitch3315 said:

What about this?

Both no.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6774/Kuuchuu_Buranko

http://myanimelist.net/anime/3724/Taiko_no_Tatsujin
Apr 12, 2014 9:24 AM

Mar 2014
mitch3315 said:
baki502 said:

mitch3315 said:

What about this?

Both no.

Still no.

The first "anime" is somewhat a little over realistic, not the distinct style at all.
The second "anime" page even said it itself, "claymation shows."
Apr 12, 2014 9:25 AM

Sep 2013
Heredity said:
AsianKungFu said:

She officially unfriended me after that.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Apr 12, 2014 9:25 AM

Mar 2012
This remind me that Astro Boy movie. I consider that as anime but MAL isn't.
Apr 12, 2014 9:27 AM
Nov 2008
AsianKungFu said:
Heredity said:
AsianKungFu said:

She officially unfriended me after that.
she shall forever live in ignorance. 'if it doesn't look like ed, edd, & eddy then it's not cartoons uncle!'

NeoAnkara said:
it was made in the united states with some assistance from japan (in terms of story), i believe.
Apr 12, 2014 9:27 AM

Aug 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
mitch3315 said:
baki502 said:

mitch3315 said:

What about this?

Both no.

Still no.

The first "anime" is somewhat a little over realistic, not the distinct style at all.
The second "anime" page even said it itself, "claymation shows."

It's animation from Japan, which makes it anime, it has nothing to do with the art style.
Apr 12, 2014 9:29 AM

Mar 2014
NeoAnkara said:

The art style does look like anime in this one. Dunno what's the choosing method of MAL, whether the country of origin HAS to be Japan, or if the art style is the one the Japanese use the most. It appears its the former choice.

mitch3315 said:
It's animation from Japan, which makes it anime, it has nothing to do with the art style.

It is not in the traditional anime art style, hence its not anime. Let's be clear, if this art style never appeared in the first place, would you call this claymation "anime" regardless? You would've called it "claymation."

Its the art style that makes anime anime, not that the country of origin being Japan.
Apr 12, 2014 9:30 AM

Feb 2010
Yeah we should always refer to series based on where the source material/inspiration came from. That would definitely NOT make things unnecessarily complicated in EVERY area of entertainment.

Please guys, if you want to call non-anime animation anime at least make up coherent theories and not something that is completely useless for practical use.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 12, 2014 9:31 AM
Nov 2008
Lord_Pooka said:
NeoAnkara said:

The art style does look like anime in this one. Dunno what's the choosing method of MAL, whether the country of origin HAS to be Japan, or if the art style is the one the Japanese use the most. It appears its the former choice.
'anime' as we know it is technically called 'japanime,' which is short for japanese animation.

Lord_Pooka said:
It is not in the traditional anime art style
do you know how much anime's appearance has changed in the last 3-4 decades? anime now doesn't look like 'traditional' anime - this is why 'old vs new' arguments are even started. they look different, bro.
no-thanksApr 12, 2014 9:36 AM
Apr 12, 2014 9:41 AM

Mar 2014
Heredity said:

Lord_Pooka said:
do you know how much anime's appearance has changed in the last 3-4 decades? anime now doesn't look like 'traditional' anime - this is why 'old vs new' arguments are even started. they look different, bro.

It didn't deviate much from old anime. Same big eyes, same body structure, same un-smooth animation, same same same... It still appears as anime.
Apr 12, 2014 9:49 AM

Aug 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
Heredity said:

Lord_Pooka said:

It didn't deviate much from old anime. Same big eyes, same body structure, same un-smooth animation, same same same... It still appears as anime.

Really?
Apr 12, 2014 9:49 AM
Nov 2008
Lord_Pooka said:
Heredity said:

Lord_Pooka said:

i'd disagree. the 'body structure' is human (like all human cartoon characters) and the faces are Walt Disney style (like all cartoon characters 40-50s onwards), but the actual differences in trendy art styles is way different between old and new.

if all it takes is big eyes, body structure, and unsmooth animation then i guess american dad and family guy fit right in to the anime family. the boondocks, avatar, code lyoko, archie's weird mysteries... all great anime, yeah?
no-thanksApr 12, 2014 9:52 AM
Apr 12, 2014 9:54 AM
Jun 2009
You could have posted those Kara no Kyoukai claymation clips instead.
Apr 12, 2014 9:55 AM

Feb 2012
This is the JRPG argument all over again.

I would rather not complicate it too much and just go by country of origin. If it's in the MAL DB, it's anime.
Apr 12, 2014 10:46 AM

Aug 2013
Regardless of its source material's country, it was produced in Japan so nothing more appropriate than calling it anime.
Apr 12, 2014 10:57 AM

Sep 2013
Anime=made in japan
Cartoon=made somewhere else
Hello Kitty>>Powerpuff girls - by the way
Apr 12, 2014 11:03 AM

Aug 2012
I rather have new episodes of the original series on CTN.
Apr 12, 2014 11:05 AM

Mar 2014
mitch3315 said:

Really?

You call that anime?

Anime = the art style. Now try convincing me that if Cartoon Network suddenly decided to make a western cartoon for the west from inside Japan (for unknown reasons) with all makes the western art style a western art style, that this cartoon is "anime."

What follows the anime art style is anime. What doesn't isn't. The country of origin? Why should I care about the country of origin as much as the art style.
Apr 12, 2014 11:09 AM
Dec 2013
Don't care, I'm just annoyed that the show was made. The original was much better.
Apr 12, 2014 11:29 AM

Apr 2012
Heredity said:
AsianKungFu said:

baki502 said:
I never thought of Panty and Stocking as anime either, not only is the art completely cartoonish it also has a vile american toilet humor to it.
i thought you liked that sort of stuff?

I like pervy humor alright, but not toillet humor. Im okay with a bit of it, but when a tsunami of shit is going over the town then its just horrible. Im not a high-brow comedy guy, but still, I prefer that shit doesnt get literal in comedy.
Apr 12, 2014 11:30 AM

Aug 2011
Lord_Pooka said:
mitch3315 said:

Really?

You call that anime?

I do, because it is.
Apr 12, 2014 11:38 AM

Mar 2014
mitch3315 said:
Lord_Pooka said:
mitch3315 said:

Really?

You call that anime?

I do, because it is.

You
Because it originates from Japan!
The art style be damned.

Me:
Because its the anime art style!
Who made it be damned.

I think its personal preference in here...

However, I think that considering a claymation being an anime because it originates from Japan is a little too far...
Apr 12, 2014 12:20 PM

Jan 2014
I don't get it.

anime is cartoon in the first place.

Anime is short for animation... go figure.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2014 12:24 PM

Jan 2009
I never liked this cartoon. So, I don't give a shit for this.
Apr 12, 2014 3:08 PM

Feb 2013
1L0can0 said:
I hella liked the original and I watched the 1st part of the 1st episode of Z and it's aight so far but now they're more mahou shoujo instead of being naturally gifted with superpowers like the original. Also being that Z is based off an American cartoon should it be considered anime or not? This is a first as far as I know, of Japan making an anime of a cartoon that was made in the U.S.

It may not seem like it, but MAL does have some pretty well defined rules about what is and what isn't an anime.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101

The country where the source material comes from isn't part of the guidelines. There's also the Marvel Anime and some hidden gems.

Not to mention a boatload of old kids shows by Nippon.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1638/Peter_Pan_no_Bouken
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2577/Tom_Sawyer_no_Bouken
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2825/Sindbad_no_Bouken
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2572/Fushigi_no_Kuni_no_Alice

But yeah, PPGZ was probably the first (and only) original american cartoon that also got a japanese version
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Demashitaa! Powerpuff Girls Z Episode 52 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Dec 10, 2009

6 by TheAnimeFan2000 »»
Apr 20, 2023 12:45 PM

Poll: » Demashitaa! Powerpuff Girls Z Episode 49 Discussion

2 by TheAnimeFan2000 »»
Apr 19, 2023 4:45 PM

Poll: » Demashitaa! Powerpuff Girls Z Episode 45 Discussion

3 by TheAnimeFan2000 »»
Apr 18, 2023 2:35 PM

Poll: » Demashitaa! Powerpuff Girls Z Episode 41 Discussion

2 by TheAnimeFan2000 »»
Apr 17, 2023 2:36 PM

Poll: » Demashitaa! Powerpuff Girls Z Episode 37 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Dec 8, 2009

1 by TheAnimeFan2000 »»
Apr 16, 2023 1:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.