Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2009 6:21 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Excellent ending to ,perhaps, the best chapter in the Banner of the Stars series. Lafiel has always been an exceptional character imo, but this series took it to another level by making her make one of the hardest decisions I could think of. One of the best moments imo opinion is when she is in the car and they show the building Jinto is believed to be in, you can tell by her breathing how anxious and worried she is. And Jinto has one of my favorite lines right before the first end credits.

Overall, I think this series is an example of how excellent characterisation and writing can make a seemingly average series become exceptional. 9/10
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 6, 2009 5:53 PM

Dec 2007
you can tell by her breathing how anxious and worried she is.

I didn't need her breathing, cause I know how I felt... and damn, I'm only watching an animated series, having strong belief that everything will be allright. I can't even begin to imagine this kind of situation...

And yes. It truly IS an amazing series.

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
Jul 3, 2010 2:54 PM

Jan 2010
Wonderful, easily the best instalment of the series.

Too bad it is so underrated... Many, many good series get so little attention, while shows that are complete trash become more and more popular. :/

10/10 for this season.
Jul 9, 2010 12:12 AM
Jul 2009
Kinda surprised more people haven't seen this gem of a series. It's been a few years since I've seen the full series and I'm reaffirming how epic this whole series is. I would recommend anybody that likes romance anime check this one out. I'm not saying that this one blows most of the romance anime I've seen sense outta the water, but I'm definitely implying it. This episode was very heartfelt even, though Lafiel never said "I love you.", with this series it always felt like such words were unnecessary between Lafiel and Jinto. Their feelings for each other are blatantly obvious when you see the interaction between the 2 of them at the end last episode, it nearly brought tears to my eyes when i saw Lafiel crying when she rescued Jinto.
Aug 15, 2010 1:43 AM

Mar 2010
great series but couldnt they have been a bit more clear about the relationship jinto and lafiel have? i mean i know both have feelings for each other but, did they already confess them? are they considered lovers or still just friends?
Oct 9, 2010 12:49 PM

May 2010
So Jinto didn't even grow a beard...?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 14, 2011 8:24 PM
Aug 2010
A great ending to easily the best season of this show (excluding III which I haven't watched yet). I was a little disappointed by Seikai no Senki after Seikai no Monshou (it was still good but not as good), but Seikai no Senki II easily topped both of them.

Can't wait to start watching III.
Apr 28, 2011 2:13 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Excellent, excellent anime. Far better than Banner of the Stars I. I can't believe this series isn't more popular.

Looking forward to seeing no 3.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 28, 2011 2:50 AM

Feb 2009
The ending was very sweet. I don't think it was the best chapter, but it definitely in a very good note.
Apr 23, 2012 5:32 AM

Feb 2012
I really enjoyed this anime. The pacing in all three seasons felt awkward, but there were some amazing parts to all of them. This is one of the few anime I can think of where the characters are forced to make tough decisions and suffer the consequences. It’s a shame there is only an OVA after this season. This is one of the interesting universes I’ve seen in any anime. There are so many questions left unanswered.
Sep 17, 2012 4:56 PM

Feb 2010
Loved this series the romance in it just makes it such an awesome series. 9/10 from me
Sheepshaman.png
Dec 7, 2012 3:36 AM

Apr 2012
Excellent and very underrated anime. It's a shame the writer didn't finish the saga. It would have been great to read about Jinto and Lafiel growing up.
Mar 30, 2013 1:45 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Brego1 said:
Excellent and very underrated anime. It's a shame the writer didn't finish the saga. It would have been great to read about Jinto and Lafiel growing up.

Good news: the author is RESUMING THE SAGA. The fifth volume is scheduled to come out in 2013. The anime adapted 3 volumes so far.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 1, 2013 11:22 PM

Jul 2008
I do love their relationship, heck I love how all of the characters interact. They talk about the smallest things and have normal conversations even during all this turmoil. Something most series never take the time to do.

But I must ask, WHAT HAPPENED TO SPOOR?!
Sep 15, 2013 4:20 AM

May 2011
Best show out of the trilogy. -Operation Hunter ends-
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Feb 17, 2014 7:03 PM

Aug 2013
Oh so that's what Jinto was sayign during the episode 1 intro. Glad he didn't die T___T
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 19, 2014 10:16 PM

Apr 2012
Brilliant sequel. Much better than the first Banner of the Stars.

onto the OVAs!

Nov 1, 2014 1:28 PM

Nov 2011
While Jinto and Lafiel were not together for practically the entire season, I feel we received just as much of the interaction expected coming from the prequels. I love that they ended with Jinto calling Lafiel adorable highness (kawaii denka), the same thing Captain Lexshue called Lafiel's father. As far as I'm concerned, before seeing the sequel OVA, this is the perfect end to the series.
Jan 19, 2016 2:17 AM

Jul 2012
I liked the after credit stuff on this episode it was exactly what of hoped it would be.
Feb 19, 2016 11:14 PM

Nov 2011
I don't really like throwing around words like "magnificent" or "marvelous" when describing a show most of the time, but I feel like I'd be doing an injustice to just say it was an excellent ending. I already had relatively high expectations of it given the build-up, and it exceeded even those.

The slow, deliberate build into the episode was excellent. Samson's conversation with Lafiel, spiced with lightheartedness despite being a serious interaction, was an excellent precursor to what was about to happen. The scene with Lafiel in the car is one of my favorite tension moments in the medium thus far, if not my favorite-- the way Lafiel's hands shook, her breathing, the melancholic violin playing in the background, the ambient noise of the rainfall-- it was an incredible atmosphere. Even with my slight leaning toward believing it would work out, or rather hope that it would, that atmosphere created just enough lingering doubt to turn that final interaction before the credits into something special.

Having watched the prequel special and recalling what happened just before her mother's death, it's quite clear that there was great narrative significance in Jinto calling Lafiel "his adorable princess" as tears fell from her face. Whether he consciously chose that, having heard Lafiel's mother use that phrase, or rather it was coincidence, I can't say for certain, but that made the exchange so much more beautiful than it could have been with any other words.

I know it's been applicable in all seasons, but I want to finally mention how perfect the opening and, in this case, ending theme is for this show. It conjures to mind the grandness of space with its booming segments whilst remembering the smallness and significance of those within it in the soft notes.

The post-credits did not disappoint. Although they did not explicitly spell out what has transpired since Jinto's rescue, it's clear how his and Lafiel's relationship has been affected by it. It leaves you with that warm fuzzy feeling and gladness that everything worked out well.

(I think "kawaii denka" is going to be burned into my mind for quite a long time.)

While I still in some senses lament that later publications of this series are unlikely to be animated as a direct continuation to these seasons, I find it hard to imagine a better way to conclude an ongoing series. This was exactly the sort of closure I was looking for-- to at least have an idea of what would become of these two characters and their relationship. With this ending, I think it couldn't be less obvious.

Back to Martine, eh? Perhaps we'll see some of that in the final OVAs.

In any case, this is a wonderful, criminally underrated series. I'm so glad I went with my gut and decided to watch this.
Aug 28, 2019 4:51 AM

Jan 2018
If the anime bem or devilman got another season after like 50 years there is still hope for one more season of seikai no senki, it was such a nice series, now I feel like watching legend of the galactic heroes for more space drama
Mar 7, 2021 5:24 PM

Jul 2009
This was the best season so far. This season had a lot less terrible action sequences that hampered the earlier seasons (the worst in this one was episode 5 with them getting kidnapped). I liked the further development with the Lafiel and Jinto dynamic, although I wish it would move faster than it currently is. The world building in this series is also surprisingly good. Heck, I like most of the characters, but there are still dull scenes here. I think the twins are the weakest cast members right now.

I'll have to pick up the books at some point, I think. Regardless I'll see what the final season has in store. 8/10
Feb 9, 2022 9:03 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
An absolute gem even on a rewatch more than a decade later. The dialogue and characterizations, as well slow buildup are all top notch. Easily a candidate for the most underrated show on MAL.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 15, 2023 3:35 PM

Dec 2022
Getting Lafiel to tear up is no mean feat. Jinto and Lafiel's relationship is subtle, to say the least, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been any progress or development. This anime displays how well both pragmatism and emotion can have their place in life.

Martine and the Hyde system have been out of focus since the first few episodes of CotS. Definitely curious to see how it's faring.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seikai no Senki II Episode 9 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Sep 10, 2009

9 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 15, 2023 2:46 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Senki II Episode 8 Discussion

gohdan - Oct 31, 2010

8 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 15, 2023 2:12 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Senki II Episode 7 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Sep 10, 2009

12 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 15, 2023 1:35 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Senki II Episode 6 Discussion

gohdan - Oct 29, 2010

10 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 15, 2023 1:05 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Senki II Episode 5 Discussion

wakka9ca - Apr 4, 2010

10 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 15, 2023 12:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.