Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 11, 2014 7:12 AM

Oct 2010
To me, I started to read a lot more manga than I do anime, and also starting to enjoy it better, I dot know why though. Has it gotten to a point were you like manga over anime or do you still prefer anime and why? I was just curious about this and surprised by my interests:)

Apr 11, 2014 7:20 AM

Jan 2013
Yes, lately I've come to a similar realisation too. I feel manga has more variety in terms of storytelling. I'm already planning to switch over to manga completely once I finish my onhold list.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 11, 2014 7:29 AM
Jul 2018
Yup I've been that way for the past 3 years. Anime has gotten stale to me and there are way more options that fit my taste in manga. I guess it's a part of growing up, I prefer the more mature storytelling that comes with manga.
Apr 11, 2014 7:32 AM

Oct 2010
OmegaGoku said:
Yup I've been that way for the past 3 years. Anime has gotten stale to me and there are way more options that fit my taste in manga. I guess it's a part of growing up, I prefer the more mature storytelling that comes with manga.

true, anime holds back a lot with what it can do, but with manga, a lot more can be expressed

Apr 11, 2014 8:07 AM
Dec 2013
I think romance manga are usually better than romance anime. But in general I prefer anime over manga.
Apr 11, 2014 8:10 AM

Sep 2012
Eventually, one day, anime and manga fans will be able to compromise when we attain the technology for animated manga pictures.

Maybe then we'll stop seeing these threads.

..or we'll see more of them.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 11, 2014 8:16 AM

May 2012
If the genre is action or sports, I want the anime version but if its slow paced or romance, I'm fine with manga... BUT if the anime version was too short, I'll continue reading on manga :)
Apr 11, 2014 8:20 AM

Nov 2010
No, anime is better.
Apr 11, 2014 9:59 AM

Jan 2009
Yes, manga is better.
The Forbidden Four: Clannad, Elfen Lied, Chaos;Head and Higurashi.
You recommend it to me - you die.

If there aren't at least 3 series per year centered around some overpowered badass, voiced by Nakata Jouji then there's something wrong with anime industry.
Apr 11, 2014 10:15 AM

Jun 2012
Both have their charms, personally prefer Manga in every aspect even including fanbase but I'm not saying Anime is bad.

However, I find it somewhat comedic when all of the Anime > Manga crowd have stats such as:
104.6 Anime Days 1.9 Manga days
36.8 Anime Days 0.00 Manga Days
112.9 Anime Days 21.0 Manga Days
720.9 Anime Days 21.8 Manga Days
182.1 Anime Days 10.3 Manga days.

It's too biased of a question for anyone to answer impartially.
Apr 11, 2014 10:34 AM

Oct 2012
Manga for me, always.

I find it hard to keep watching anime, my attention span usually gives up on me after a few episodes for most anime. It's hard for me to find the motivation to start new anime. Airing shows are less problematic since I only have to watch one episode a week. I never get bored of manga though, even if I feel like stopping I can continue it later any time I want.

I also just generally like it, it has more of an impact and conveys the authors art and story better, since they are written and drawn by him/them personally and not made by a studio.

But well whatever, it's a matter of preference.
Apr 11, 2014 11:04 AM

Oct 2013
I prefer Manga over Anime too.
Apr 12, 2014 12:54 AM

Oct 2009
Anime > Manga
Apr 12, 2014 12:56 AM

Nov 2013
I wouldn't say it's better, but it's good to have that variety and not only watching anime or vice versa all the time.
Apr 12, 2014 1:58 AM

May 2009
Decide said:
I wouldn't say it's better, but it's good to have that variety and not only watching anime or vice versa all the time.

It's all about preferences. You can't force yourself doing both if you don't feel like it.

Manga for me. It seems I can't finish an anime lately ( it's been already 2/3 years since I got this problem ) but when it comes to manga I have no problem doing it. Anyway, I can't force myself watching anime because I get very bored after just one episode.

"Angels banished from heaven have no choice but to become devils"
Vicious. Cowboy Bebop
Apr 12, 2014 2:07 AM

Jun 2009
With comedy series I definitely prefer anime over manga. The way a line is delivered by a voice actor can make things so much funnier. I really can't get into comedy manga.

With almost everything else however, manga is usually superior from my experience. Especially more serious/seinen series.
Apr 12, 2014 2:12 AM

Nov 2013
Aakira said:
Decide said:

It's all about preferences. You can't force yourself doing both if you don't feel like it.

Manga for me. It seems I can't finish an anime lately ( it's been already 2/3 years since I got this problem ) but when it comes to manga I have no problem doing it. Anyway, I can't force myself watching anime because I get very bored after just one episode.

Well, there's an easy solution to that one: Watch better anime.
Apr 12, 2014 2:18 AM

Jun 2012
Boombawks said:
Anime>Manga for me, Manga can only go so far.
Not sure what you're referring to but Anime as an industry is known to be far more limited than Manga.
In terms of obscenity, quantity, art quality, whatever you're getting at.

The only thing Manga can't do to appease the Anime inclined fans is color and animation, but would that still be Manga?
Apr 12, 2014 2:26 AM
Jan 2014
I read more manga too, there are more options for me to pick from that anime does not have. Some anime takes to long to reach the ending for some manga.
Apr 12, 2014 2:33 AM

May 2009
Decide said:
Aakira said:
Decide said:

Well, there's an easy solution to that one: Watch better anime.

No, it's not. Because it's not about the quality. I get distracted watching anime.

"Angels banished from heaven have no choice but to become devils"
Vicious. Cowboy Bebop
Apr 12, 2014 7:41 AM

Feb 2013
I still prefer anime more, but I must admit manga has usually more situations and it's longer. Also sometimes everything looks just more epic in manga. But I watch anime much more often. It's colored, has soundtrack, voice acting and it's moving. Maybe one day I'll start to like manga more too. ;3

Apr 13, 2014 6:24 AM

May 2010
Manga > Anime for shoujo / romantic theme
Manga < Anime for shounen / action
Minori said:
*bawling* I'll never get married w/ a body like this! What'll I do?
Kousaka said:
Married? It looks like you're already pregnant.
Apr 17, 2014 10:53 PM

Apr 2014
Manga all the way. I used to watch a lot of animes in the past but don't know why but as soon as I started reading manga I've been hooked to it. I hardly watch anime anymore but hoping to extend my anime list but damn can't get rid of manga addiction.
Apr 19, 2014 2:40 AM

Oct 2013
both, but i prefer manga.

Apr 19, 2014 2:50 AM
Dec 2013
No i prefer anime for obvious reasons. (animation,sound etc.)
Apr 19, 2014 3:04 AM
Mar 2011
Manga i there more of it for me to read than anime there is to watch
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 19, 2014 3:24 AM

Jun 2011
Manga > Anime all day and night, but I prefer watching anime for now, there is something in anime that manga cannot offer, and I don't mean animation/soundtrack/colour.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 19, 2014 4:21 AM

Dec 2012
Manga > Anime

I find it extremely easy to find an interesting manga. Manga in general is more interesting, offers more variety, not limited, more quantity and quality. The pacing is almost never a problem in manga, since you can read on your own pace, something that you can't do with anime, so there is a lower chance of me losing interest and for something to feel dragged out.

The only things I feel anime is better at is battle adaptions, certain comedies and stuff like Monogatari and The Tatami Galaxy, where anime can offer much more. Oh and voice acting is really important sometimes but it depends.

The only problem manga have is the scantlation issue....
tsudecimoApr 19, 2014 4:25 AM
Apr 19, 2014 4:40 AM
Apr 2014
I prefer manga over anime any day. I get so restless when I'm sitting down watching anime. I can't sit still hence I don't watch anime much. I think the only anime I watched was Cowboy Bebop and Fruits Basket.
Apr 19, 2014 6:22 PM

Oct 2008
Within the last couple years I find myself reading more manga. I still watch and enjoy anime, it's just that there is a wider variety of manga, and I can read pretty fast so I can get through the story faster and find out how it ends, because some anime leave off with a cliff hanger which pisses me off. I enjoy a solid ending.
Apr 19, 2014 8:06 PM

Aug 2013
Though manga can open up more in terms of content. I prefer anime.
Main reason is I just don't have the patience for manga, too tedious. I like sitting back and watching the story play out in front of me. I also like the animation and how beautiful it can look sometimes.

Though the one time I did read a manga just to get the rest of the story that the anime didn't reveal, I ended up spending literally like 4 or 5 hours reading without even noticing. When I finished it was passed midnight and I kinda freaked out a bit.
It puts you in a trance.
Apr 19, 2014 10:03 PM

Nov 2010
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Both have their charms, personally prefer Manga in every aspect even including fanbase but I'm not saying Anime is bad.

However, I find it somewhat comedic when all of the Anime > Manga crowd have stats such as:

Of course I like anime more, why wouldn't I watch more of it?
Apr 19, 2014 10:25 PM

Apr 2012
It really depends on my mood, whether I am for some anime or for some manga at that moment...

btw I have 51.6 anime days and 65.7 manga days
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Apr 22, 2014 8:11 PM
Feb 2013
i started watching anime for a long time before heading over to read manga which hasn't been that long ago...even though im enjoying manga right now...i prefer animes over mangas!some opinions though...romance comedy genres are good in both in their own ways!you get to see one in action and another one what happens further than what happens in the anime!i haven't read any shounen manga, but i have a feeling anime might be better to have it shown in live action! :3
Apr 22, 2014 8:25 PM

Jan 2008
When there's any sort of action going on, anime is usually better because it's animated, otherwise, Manga is usually the way to go.

There have been times though, where a new Shounen Jump series would start, and I was reading the manga, and then they'd announce an anime adaption. Because of my previous comment, I'd drop the manga and wait for the anime to come out, and that turned out to be shit compared to it's source material.

It really depends on the manga/anime itself. I also prefer to read my manga on paper, so I actually go out and buy them. Unlike anime, which unleashes my inner pirate to go crazy. The fact that it's expensive, especially in my country, where shit takes ages to get translated, if at all and you're pretty much left having to import everything from the UK/USA, I prefer anime.
Which is fine to pirate because if it isn't linked to a toy they can sell, they ain't localizing it, and even if they do DVD-only releases, the subs are so bad I could understand the story better if I watched them RAW. As the subs are done by a French company who clearly doesn't understand our language at all.
Apr 22, 2014 8:30 PM

Jun 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Of course I like anime more, why wouldn't I watch more of it?
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, which there isn't. Was just observing the fact that regardless of which side of the equation you're on, the sheer mass of experience you've had on your preferred side (36 Anime days to 1 Manga day in your case) will create a bias towards that specific industry.

In my case that's not true, huh.
Apr 22, 2014 8:40 PM

Mar 2014
Anime, I've never had much attention span for reading and always preferred multimedia form of entertainment.
Apr 22, 2014 8:41 PM

Jan 2008
YorozuyaGinSan said:
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, which there isn't. Was just observing the fact that regardless of which side of the equation you're on, the sheer mass of experience you've had on your preferred side (36 Anime days to 1 Manga day in your case) will create a bias towards that specific industry.

In my case that's not true, huh.

Well, as I import my manga, I know which ones I've read by having them on my shelve, if I buy one, I read it and on the shelf it goes until I want to read it again. I don't really feel the need to update my manga list unless I've read it online. I can't say the same about anime.
Apr 22, 2014 8:53 PM

Feb 2014
Mayyyybe "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei" since I can read through all of the references at my own pace instead of pausing the episode.

IMO, "Yotsuba&" should remain in manga format, just as Azuma intends. I don't feel it would make a good anime unless they *really* put a lot of effort into the atmosphere around it. There's just not enough going on for the rapid pace of an anime format.
*^^* Click to hug Mami! -->

Snarky memes & witty GIFs for All!
Stolen from PDot19, with credit to Ntad

Apr 22, 2014 9:01 PM

Mar 2014
It all depends on which one you have a predilection towards. I've recently been on a bit of an anime marathon, and so I've neglected Manga a bit, which I would like to get back to, right after I find my muse again. But generally, people prefer whichever one they stick more towards.
Apr 22, 2014 10:31 PM

Jan 2013
I like how manga usually has faster pacing than anime (I mean, I can barrel through a series of manga faster than anime and feel like I haven't wasted that much time as compared to anime binging).
With manga you can observe the art a lot more closely. The storytelling usually seems more in-depth too. The story is stripped to art and words, which I feel makes it more complex. Complexity through simplicity. (:
Apr 22, 2014 10:38 PM

Apr 2012
I am the opposite.

5 Years ago, I used to only read manga. Until 2 years ago, I got into anime and have watched a lot since. I still read manga, but much less in proportion to anime.

Whether manga or anime is better really depends on the specific series. Sometimes anime tell a story better, sometimes manga does, or sometimes they both do a really good job.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
6 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
8 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
8 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Today, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.