Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 5, 2015 9:21 AM

May 2014
I made myself play genocide because I hate myself. I cried so bad

I had more trouble on undyne than sans though. Guess I have better reaction time with him
Nov 9, 2015 11:17 PM

Jan 2013
HOLY FUCK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssD3wf5Kp9M&feature=youtu.be&t=370

YOKO TARA IS BEGGING FOR AN ENGLISH LOCALISATION OF UNDERTALE
Nov 9, 2015 11:24 PM

May 2010
CaimTheJoyful said:
HOLY FUCK

Oh cool. I was honestly hoping it would get one someday, just so people over there can realize "oh hey they can make those kinds of games too".
Nov 9, 2015 11:29 PM

Oct 2013
CaimTheJoyful said:
HOLY FUCK

Regretfully it's not a financially viable idea for two very strong reasons:

1. The indies in Japan get very little sales in comparison to even regular Steam sales, for a top seller like Undertale (5th spot during Fallout 4 & COD release cuz why not?), the potential gains are either extremely tiny, or even less than the potential costs.

2. A HUUUGE amount of jokes, parodies or general humour will be lost in translation after a typical localisation. It's VERY difficult to find teams that can localise the feel and humour of a game really well across language barriers. The only two examples that came to mind (Jap to Eng) are Recettear and Grisaia no Kajitsu (VN).

The best thing that Yoko Taro can do is probably learning English.
Nov 9, 2015 11:36 PM

Jan 2013
Taro learning English would be the greatest thing to ever happen

He'll be able realize how painful it is to be a western Drakengard fan
Nov 9, 2015 11:39 PM
Dec 2011
Still need to try Undertale, has that Earthbound look.
Nov 10, 2015 1:33 AM

Oct 2013
Mazaev said:
Still need to try Undertale, has that Earthbound look.

And feel.

And there is a single track they share too for an awesome boss battle.
Nov 12, 2015 3:59 AM

Aug 2014
Just bought Undertale a couple of days ago and holy hot damn is it amazing. The main thing that surprises me is the astounding emotional depth the story manages to have.
Nov 13, 2015 11:15 AM

Apr 2015
A friend gave me that game on Steam and I already spent 24 hours on this! *-*

I made a true pacifist route and a genocide route ...no regrets...
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

My anime list
My manga list
Nov 13, 2015 11:27 AM

Jul 2012
CaimTheJoyful said:
HOLY FUCK

Well that's...unexpected.

Taro truly is the best.
Nov 13, 2015 11:52 AM

May 2013
Seen the Grumps play it. It doesn't look half bad :)
Nov 13, 2015 1:48 PM

Oct 2013
Battlechili said:
CaimTheJoyful said:
HOLY FUCK

Well that's...unexpected.

Taro truly is the best.

I imagine it's pretty common in the gaming industry.

Game directors/writers always have an interest both personally and professionally in what makes successful games tick. I bet Taro is more than a little fascinated by the huge success of Undertale, and a little frustrated by a language barrier that prevents him from learning.
Nov 14, 2015 4:00 PM

Jan 2015
I just finished Undertale. Summary and opinion below.
ZeesNov 14, 2015 4:15 PM
Nov 14, 2015 6:00 PM

Jan 2013
Szefi said:
To be honest I feel like the game is mediocre. Sure, the story was a lot deeper than I thought. The soundtrack was great. But the game lacks in every other aspect. The combat system is bad. You do nothing but dodging stuff for 3-4 hours.
It's no different from using the ATTACK command in other turn-based RPGs and watching numbers go down. In actuality, I'd say the combat system is good.
Szefi said:
After you memorize the pattern (which often means finding the one spot you won't get hit at and staying there until the attack phase is over), there is no challenge.
Patterns randomize and in boss fights, attacks change even more and more as time proceeds. Also with how action-focused the game is, I doubt there's a certain spot you can stand still at and survive indefinitely excluding the first few monsters.
Szefi said:
The "ACT" option is seriously lacking any depth. You are supposed to escape fighting (resulting in someone dying) using this option.
There's a flee option under the MERCY command.
Szefi said:
You are supposed to talk.
You don't HAVE to talk.
Szefi said:
Yet all the ACT options are stupid. "Smile" or "Tell a Joke". Seriously? No matter what you say, it never feels like something that would actually get you out of trouble in a realistic situation (or in a good game, which Undertale isn't).
That's a quirky design decision with relation to Earthbound's just-as-silly combat. I wouldn't say it's a bad gameplay mechanic, rather more of a gameplay element that doesn't fit your expectation. I personally liked how ACT options worked. Also
>undertale
>realistic
It was never aiming to be realistic in the first place.

Szefi said:
Point 2, ACT isn't even talking yourself out of trouble.
ACT is more about befriending monsters than taking yourself out of trouble.
Szefi said:
You basically have to click the correct pattern of answers. You just "Check" the enemy and then guess the correct pattern to use. "Mystify" -> "Pray", or "Beckon" -> "Pet" -> "Play" to get rid of the doggies. The combat system is flatout boring and uncreative.
You know you can use a stick to instantly pacify dogs?

Also, I disagree, the combat is creative. Undertale's gameplay does a wonderful job of integrating narrative with gameplay mechanics by give the player the option to fight or befriend monsters. It integrates well with the story and the theme of friendship (or genocide). It's not a contradiction like Spec Ops: The Line, where the game sends an overall message that war is not a glorified shooter despite playing like a glorified shooter.

Szefi said:
The biggest problem of Undertale is the ridiculous amount of backtracking you have to do. If you want to get health items you have to go back to the nearest shop. If you want to get the True Pacifist ending you have to go back all the way to Snowdin and then back to Hotlands. And the only shortcut you have is the boat. This shit gets a lot worse when you are about to finish the TP ending and the NPCs tell you to visit x and y.
Although I agree the game would have benefited more with a sort of "sprint" option, I wouldn't consider backtracking to be a horrible concept. Backtracking offers a sense of familiarity, and gives the world a sense of purpose and feeling. And that's what Undertale wants, for the player to understand that the world isn't just some pixel landscape after landscape but an actual world that monsters have inhabited for years.

Szefi said:
Many people criticise the game for having a very simple plot and being filled with shitty memes, but tbh I don't have a very elite sense of humor so I can even laugh at memes.
Simplistic plot is not legitimate criticism so I don't know what you're looking at either.
PeenusWeenusCaimNov 14, 2015 6:04 PM
Nov 14, 2015 10:20 PM

Jun 2008
Had a neutral, true pacifist and genocide run, all equally enjoyable. Game is fucking quality. Kinda got me hyped for indie titles in general along with Hotline. I was pretty skeptical after reading reviews and seeing the half-retarded fanbase type along, but after logging about 25 hours into it I can say it's probably one of the best games of all time. Story, characters, music, gameplay, all great man.
Nov 15, 2015 2:12 PM

Jan 2012
My opinion

Overall just my opinion and my experience.
Nov 15, 2015 5:09 PM

Mar 2008
I did the neutral route twice, the second time was on accident because I didn't know how to do a genocide run.

Then the third time I did an actual genocide run and that was great. I might do a soulless pacifist run later on.
Nov 15, 2015 6:19 PM

Feb 2012
Still playing through the Pacifist route, great game.
Nov 25, 2015 7:12 AM

Jan 2015
Okay, I finally finished a neutral route and the genocide route. I got the neutral route where I killed Toriel, some monsters but didn't kill Undyne. So in the end she becomes the ruler of the Underground and she really hates my guts. I get a phone call and Sans tells me I will die if I go back.

The Genocide Route was a lot darker than expected, holy shit. Almost every NPC is afraid of me and it turns out I'm possessed. Undyne goes super saiyan on me but she still dies. All in all the GR was disturbing. And now I can no longer reset and get the Pacifist ending.

My opinion on Undertale didn't change that much. I admit the story got better after I completed genocide.

CaimTheJoyful said:
It's no different from using the ATTACK command in other turn-based RPGs and watching numbers go down. In actuality, I'd say the combat system is good.
Yes, but in other RPGs the ATTACK command is a lot more interactive than dodging ten thousand clipart objects and hitting the enemy when the moving line is right in the middle.

CaimTheJoyful said:
Patterns randomize and in boss fights, attacks change even more and more as time proceeds. Also with how action-focused the game is, I doubt there's a certain spot you can stand still at and survive indefinitely excluding the first few monsters.
I honestly never saw the patterns change. Only the order of the different attack types changed but every attack has the same pattern. In boss fights, sometimes the pattern changed, but that usually meant the attacks becoming faster (like Undyne's spears that come from four sides). The Flowey boss fight was the only one where I couldn't just find a safe spot, and that's because his attacks were way too fast.

CaimTheJoyful said:
There's a flee option under the MERCY command.
Duh, but you can't flee from every enemy and the flee option is dead when you are doing a Genocide Run. When you can't flee immediately you have to ACT first.

CaimTheJoyful said:
You don't HAVE to talk.
You kind of have to if you can't flee immediately. Also, my comment didn't mean "you have to talk", I meant that the ACT option means you are supposed to talk yourself out of trouble, but every option feels so fake, those things would never get you out of trouble. It makes the ACT command look horrible, as you are not even "acting" or "talking yourself outta trouble", you are just simply hitting the options under the ACT command in a certain order.

CaimTheJoyful said:
>undertale
>realistic
It was never aiming to be realistic in the first place.
I was not referring to the game overall, but the ACT command. The official Steam Store site says:
Killing is unnecessary: negotiate out of danger using the unique battle system.
Yet you are not negotiating at all. You are just trying to dodge clipart objects until you hit the correct order of the ACT options.

CaimTheJoyful said:
ACT is more about befriending monsters than taking yourself out of trouble.
Not really. Considering you never ever get to know 90% of the monsters, and most of them still attack you, no matter how many times you have spared them, I would not call them "friends". When you can't flee you have to use the ACT command, therefore I'd say the main purpose of it is to get yourself out of trouble.

CaimTheJoyful said:
Also, I disagree, the combat is creative. Undertale's gameplay does a wonderful job of integrating narrative with gameplay mechanics by give the player the option to fight or befriend monsters. It integrates well with the story and the theme of friendship (or genocide). It's not a contradiction like Spec Ops: The Line, where the game sends an overall message that war is not a glorified shooter despite playing like a glorified shooter.
That's your opinion. Imo, the combat system is not creative at all, it's literally a dumbed down version of other RPG combat systems. And being an altered (=simplified) version of something is not unique, especially since the combat system was bad, in my opinion.

I don't think it's the combat system that integrates with the theme of friendship. I mean, it's not the combat system that helps you become friends with the monsters. What makes you become friends with them is sparing their life, which isn't really a "part" of the combat. Some monsters even ignore everything you say to them (under the ACT command), and you only become friends with them after the fight is over (like "watering" Undyne after she collapses in Hotland). You can't even fight Alphys once yet you can still become friends with her.

CaimTheJoyful said:
Although I agree the game would have benefited more with a sort of "sprint" option, I wouldn't consider backtracking to be a horrible concept. Backtracking offers a sense of familiarity, and gives the world a sense of purpose and feeling. And that's what Undertale wants, for the player to understand that the world isn't just some pixel landscape after landscape but an actual world that monsters have inhabited for years.
When you have to backtrack, you usually walk past levels where there are no monsters or NPCs around, and you have to get past some harder levels again (like the level where there are glowing lamps and you have to speed through it before the lights turn off). And you have to backtrack through the same area several times. Since there are no NPCs around, and you have to see the same thing several times, it destroys the atmosphere. It's just annoying.

CaimTheJoyful said:
Simplistic plot is not legitimate criticism so I don't know what you're looking at either.
I didn't mind the simplistic plot (which wasn't that simple after finishing the genocide run). It's just that I heard a lot of players complain about the lack of originality (memes, anime references, cliche characters, etc.).
Nov 25, 2015 8:29 AM

May 2013
CaimTheJoyful said:
HOLY FUCK

Who?

And wasn't the game released worldwide? :S
Dec 1, 2015 5:10 PM

Jul 2012
Dark_Chaos said:
CaimTheJoyful said:
HOLY FUCK

Who?

And wasn't the game released worldwide? :S
It only has an English translation though.
And Yoko Taro is the creator of the Nier and Drakengard series, games known for strong weird crazy screwed up stories and bad (Drakengard, Drakengard 2) to meh(Drakengard 3, Nier) gameplay.
Dec 3, 2015 11:09 PM

Jul 2008
Okay so I bought this on a whim after all the hype I heard around the game.

Completed a neutral game yesterday.
Completed a true-pacifist run today.

...not sure if I have the stomach to do a genocide run now... but I will likely end up doing it anyway.

Best purchase I've done for years.
Dec 3, 2015 11:18 PM

Oct 2013
Shangetsu said:
Okay so I bought this on a whim after all the hype I heard around the game.

Completed a neutral game yesterday.
Completed a true-pacifist run today.

...not sure if I have the stomach to do a genocide run now... but I will likely end up doing it anyway.

Best purchase I've done for years.

Genocide is worth it. It's also full of the game's brilliance. It's especially worthwhile after a true pacifist run.
Aug 17, 2017 11:12 AM

Jan 2017
Ah this game... Ok, so like I have nothing against this game series at all I just think some of the fandom is toxic, dont hate. I dont have any hate towards this game either but I do find this game quite overrated.. Sorry. I dont want to pay about $10 for a game i could beat in a few hrs. I dont honestly even see how ppl spend like over 60+ hrs doing stuff in this game when it doesnt even take that much time to master, unless they keep doing new runs. Which is fine, to each their own.
Aug 17, 2017 6:54 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Dark_Enforcer said:
Ah this game... Ok, so like I have nothing against this game series at all I just think some of the fandom is toxic, dont hate. I dont have any hate towards this game either but I do find this game quite overrated.. Sorry. I dont want to pay about $10 for a game i could beat in a few hrs. I dont honestly even see how ppl spend like over 60+ hrs doing stuff in this game when it doesnt even take that much time to master, unless they keep doing new runs. Which is fine, to each their own.
I'm a huge fan of Undertale, and I also agree that the fanbase is pure cancer. That being said, you should try it out before considering it overrated. A game's length doesn't decide the quality of a game. Undertale might be short, but every second of it entertains. It's one of the funniest game I've ever played and one of the most heartwarming. Also, $10-15 is pretty cheap and you shouldn't expect more than a couple of hours from a game with that price. There's games that are $60 that only have a couple of hours of content.
Aug 17, 2017 7:36 PM

Jan 2017
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Dark_Enforcer said:
I'm a huge fan of Undertale, and I also agree that the fanbase is pure cancer. That being said, you should try it out before considering it overrated. A game's length doesn't decide the quality of a game. Undertale might be short, but every second of it entertains. It's one of the funniest game I've ever played and one of the most heartwarming. Also, $10-15 is pretty cheap and you shouldn't expect more than a couple of hours from a game with that price. There's games that are $60 that only have a couple of hours of content.

Lol ok then, MAYBE I'll consider it ONE day... But NOT now xD
Aug 17, 2017 7:39 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Dark_Enforcer said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Lol ok then, MAYBE I'll consider it ONE day... But NOT now xD
Anytime's fine, as long as you give it a try xD
Aug 17, 2017 9:20 PM

Nov 2014
I never wanted to play Undertale because after hearing a crap ton of spoilers I realized that I didn't want to play a game that would tell me I'm a horrible person just for playing a frikin video game..
Aug 18, 2017 1:22 AM
Jul 2018
Dark_Enforcer said:
How can you say the game is overrated if you haven't played it? Undertale lasts for probably around 20 hours or so if you go for all endings, good enough I would say. And the game itself is pretty good, though definitely not the Second Coming of Christ.

At least you don't hate the game. I know people who hate Undertale purely because of the fandom, something that has nothing to do with the game itself.
Dec 16, 2021 1:42 PM
Dec 2017
i do plan on getting this game one of these days

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

18 by Zugabe »»
2 hours ago

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

23 by PlasticRobot »»
4 hours ago

» Operating systems

skapito - Apr 13

19 by bevarnow »»
5 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

18 by Sigma- »»
10 hours ago

» Scraping voice actors

Mia__SB - Apr 14

2 by Mia__SB »»
Yesterday, 8:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.