Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 10, 2014 7:35 PM

Aug 2008
SOUTH EUCLID, Ohio — An unusual sentence for an unusual bullying case in South Euclid.

“This was not a garden variety neighbor dispute,” said Judge Gayle Williams-Byers, South Euclid Municipal Court judge.

Williams-Byers ordered Edmond Aviv, 62, to stand outside on Sunday with a sign.

“It will read, ‘I am a bully! I pick on children that are disabled, and I am intolerant of those that are different from myself,” said the judge.

http://fox8.com/2014/04/10/i-am-a-bully-man-ordered-to-hold-sign-for-bullying-neighbors/

If you push hard enough, then all that crap you dish out - will come swinging right back at you.

For more - just watch the video.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 10, 2014 7:37 PM

Mar 2013
Fuck whether the man is a bully or not, I'm outraged that the judge can order such a thing. Surely that sentence is voluntary?

There is a reason that standardized punishments like fines and prison terms exist, for fuck's sake.
Sweet_LoveApr 10, 2014 7:47 PM
Apr 10, 2014 7:49 PM

Mar 2013
Yeah that's kind of a weird thing for a judge to order someone to do.

In all honesty it doesn't really solve the problem either, it just makes it worse and turns everyone in the community into a bully against that guy.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Apr 10, 2014 7:52 PM

Nov 2010
I think there have been other cases where they had the person hold a sign outside saying they were a thief and other things like that. I don't really have an opinion on that sort of punishment.
Apr 10, 2014 9:15 PM

Jul 2012
Sweet_Love said:
Fuck whether the man is a bully or not, I'm outraged that the judge can order such a thing. Surely that sentence is voluntary?

There is a reason that standardized punishments like fines and prison terms exist, for fuck's sake.

Why? This is a wonderful form of punishment. It doesn't harm or take time out of the kid's life and the kid learns that bullying is wrong. Fines and prison terms take away unnecessarily large amounts of money, money a person might need to survive. Prison takes time out of people's lives and costs the government money.
DerpHole said:
Yeah that's kind of a weird thing for a judge to order someone to do.

In all honesty it doesn't really solve the problem either, it just makes it worse and turns everyone in the community into a bully against that guy.

I doubt many people will actually care all that much.
Apr 10, 2014 9:23 PM

Nov 2010
Battlechili1 said:

Why? This is a wonderful form of punishment. It doesn't harm or take time out of the kid's life and the kid learns that bullying is wrong. Fines and prison terms take away unnecessarily large amounts of money, money a person might need to survive. Prison takes time out of people's lives and costs the government money.
It's a 62 year old man who was filling their house with with gasoline fumes, calling the disabled kids names and spitting on them, putting dog poop on their car, and kicking their balls to where they can't get it.
Apr 10, 2014 9:27 PM

Jun 2007
Battlechili1 said:
Fines and prison terms take away unnecessarily large amounts of money, money a person might need to survive. Prison takes time out of people's lives

Wow, who would have thought punishment for crimes included CONSEQUENCES.
Apr 10, 2014 9:29 PM

Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
It's a 62 year old man who was filling their house with with gasoline fumes, calling the disabled kids names and spitting on them, putting dog poop on their car, and kicking their balls to where they can't get it.

Eh, all of his feelings and opinions are ingrained at 62. He isn't gonna learn anything from this punishment lol.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Apr 10, 2014 9:45 PM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Battlechili1 said:

I take back what I said.
Prison sounds like a pretty good idea.
Apr 10, 2014 10:17 PM
Jul 2018
Something's awry about that sentencing. Quite different from how I would have expected things to turn out. Though to people who say he won't change from this, I doubt any other disciplinary action would teach him much of anything either. Depending on how long he's felt this way about disabled children, it could be a fierce belief or mindset by now. Changing someone who has felt a certain way for years is formidable enough. But decades?
Apr 11, 2014 12:27 AM

Aug 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
I think there have been other cases where they had the person hold a sign outside saying they were a thief and other things like that. I don't really have an opinion on that sort of punishment.

It's simple:

Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Apr 11, 2014 12:31 AM
Nov 2008
so, what does this achieve? it's just going to make him grumpier and stuff.
no-thanksApr 11, 2014 1:01 AM
Apr 11, 2014 2:08 AM

Aug 2008
Heredity said:

Let him get grumpier. He should think twice about doing more harassment.

Apr 11, 2014 2:30 AM

Jun 2007
KyuuAL said:
Heredity said:

Let him get grumpier. He should think twice about doing more harassment.

Why? So he won't have to hold a sign again? Wow, scary stuff.

This is what we've told him is the consequence of doing what he did. We have a judicial system and laws in place so that people are deterred from committing crimes as well as reform them if they do. However, this old guy got neither of those - he got shown that the consequences for what he did are essentially nothing whatsoever and now has no reason to fear repeated offenses. "But if he does it again they will" - he already probably scarred these kids and this family, should he really be allowed to do it twice before something real happens?

I don't get your statement in the OP either - about how if you dish shit out it comes back to you. What came back to him? Again, his punishment was nonexistent, barely even considerable as a slap on the wrist in the IMPORTANT parts you left out of your post (he was imprisoned for 15 days as well as has 100 hours of community service), albeit even including them it's still nothing.
TallonKarrde23Apr 11, 2014 2:33 AM
Apr 11, 2014 2:36 AM

Oct 2011
what if a bunch of retards came by in a lowrider and kicked his ass
Apr 11, 2014 2:37 AM

Jun 2007
DEMOLITION_D said:

They'd go to prison for assault and he would be hospitalized and thus incapable of fulfilling his oh-so-hefty punishment of holding a sign.
Apr 11, 2014 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
TallonKarrde23 said:
DEMOLITION_D said:

They'd go to prison for assault and he would be hospitalized and thus incapable of fulfilling his oh-so-hefty punishment of holding a sign.

Although unstated here, he was also sentenced to 15 days in jail. So that's something too.
Apr 11, 2014 1:05 PM

Jun 2007
Aylaine said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
DEMOLITION_D said:

Although unstated here, he was also sentenced to 15 days in jail. So that's something too.

Do you have to reply to me by repeating what I've said already and ignoring me having said it so often?

This is twice in the same day, come on.
TallonKarrde23 said:
I don't get your statement in the OP either - about how if you dish shit out it comes back to you. What came back to him? Again, his punishment was nonexistent, barely even considerable as a slap on the wrist in the IMPORTANT parts you left out of your post (he was imprisoned for 15 days as well as has 100 hours of community service), albeit even including them it's still nothing..
Apr 11, 2014 1:11 PM

Aug 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
I don't get your statement in the OP either - about how if you dish shit out it comes back to you. What came back to him?

There's a general principle and unwritten rule that says:

"Treat others, the way you want to be treated."

Well, by being a nasty asshole who harasses his neighbors -- he's getting what he asked for. Also, it shows that the very people whom he harasses has enough power to fight back the bullying. So, he may very well think again before he decides to harass them.

Of course, if you want a harsher punishment brought onto this guy, then you'll just have to wait till said person commits a harsher crime. Yea, I hate to say that... but that's how it works.

TallonKarrde23 said:
Again, his punishment was nonexistent, barely even considerable as a slap on the wrist in the IMPORTANT parts you left out of your post (he was imprisoned for 15 days as well as has 100 hours of community service), albeit even including them it's still nothing.

Why do you think I provide links to these stories? You expect me to copy-paste the whole thing? Or, should I take greater effort of selective reading and pick parts that you might want to read - without clicking the link?

Apr 11, 2014 1:22 PM

Jun 2007
KyuuAL said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
I don't get your statement in the OP either - about how if you dish shit out it comes back to you. What came back to him?

There's a general principle and unwritten rule that says:

"Treat others, the way you want to be treated."

Well, by being a nasty asshole who harasses his neighbors -- he's getting what he asked for. Also, it shows that the very people whom he harasses has enough power to fight back the bullying. So, he may very well think again before he decides to harass them.

Of course, if you want a harsher punishment brought onto this guy, then you'll just have to wait till said person commits a harsher crime. Yea, I hate to say that... but that's how it works.

TallonKarrde23 said:
Again, his punishment was nonexistent, barely even considerable as a slap on the wrist in the IMPORTANT parts you left out of your post (he was imprisoned for 15 days as well as has 100 hours of community service), albeit even including them it's still nothing.

Why do you think I provide links to these stories? You expect me to copy-paste the whole thing? Or, should I take greater effort of selective reading and pick parts that you might want to read - without clicking the link?

I think the full punishment was extremely relevant to your thread's point and purpose, so you should have included that. You don't need to copy paste the full article (it's better if you don't) - but you should include the very relevant bits like that for sure.

As for the top part about committing a harsher crime...what he did would, under normal circumstances, constitute much harsher penalties than he got. He got extremely lucky for some reason, but this is not the typical punishment for ongoing serious harassment and psychological damage. I agree that some of it is not so illegal that a larger penalty be put into place - and just "bullying" - such as spitting on things or kicking balls away, however things like filling their house with gas/smoke and such could have hospitalized someone and much of it counts as serious vandalism.

He's being punished as if he's an 8 year old, not an adult who has genuinely harassed disabled kids and the family.

Though, admittedly, the easiest answer would be a lawsuit - not trying to get him punished by prison time, but with money. There's no way they can't sue him for all the shit he did. Hell, putting poop on someone's car is already grounds for a lawsuit of a fairly hefty sum due to all the damage you can claim it did to the paint, let alone everything else he did - especially the psychological harassment to the kids.
Apr 11, 2014 1:38 PM

Aug 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
I think the full punishment was extremely relevant to your thread's point and purpose, so you should have included that. You don't need to copy paste the full article (it's better if you don't) - but you should include the very relevant bits like that for sure.

I don't see you making threads here; and instead, you come and bitch at me for how I do things. What am I? A mod?! LOL.

Here's another thing about my posts and threads like this: I'll pick and choose to highlight what I wish - and/or deem to be relevant. For this thread, I choose to do the former. Normally, I simply pick out the first paragraph or two. If I really see something else to bring out later in the article, I'll pull that out too. And yea, I read the whole prison part as well -- I simply laughed.

Again, I post the links so that (a) the thread isn't all made up and (b) for your reading pleasure. I've never seen anyone bitch about someone's posting habit as much as you do.

TallonKarrde23 said:
Though, admittedly, the easiest answer would be a lawsuit - not trying to get him punished by prison time, but with money. There's no way they can't sue him for all the shit he did. Hell, putting poop on someone's car is already grounds for a lawsuit of a fairly hefty sum due to all the damage you can claim it did to the paint, let alone everything else he did - especially the psychological harassment to the kids.

I'm going to presume -- that the neighbors weren't too keen on the idea of the lawyer fees. Imagine if they had lost.

Part of me had looked into a lawsuit due to a neighbor unwilling to put up a share to fix a broken water pipe. Living in a townhouse, the said pipe runs right in between townhouse units, so it wasn't 100% clear on who "owns" it. Oh well, we yucked it up and got the job done.

I suppose instead, the neighbors pressed charges, which is a much cheaper option - but would warrant some kind of lesser penalty, given this situation.

Apr 11, 2014 1:39 PM

Jun 2007
KyuuAL said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

I don't see you making threads here; and instead, you come and bitch at me for how I do things. What am I? A mod?! LOL.

Here's another thing about my posts and threads like this: I'll pick and choose to highlight what I wish - and/or deem to be relevant. For this thread, I choose to do the former. Normally, I simply pick out the first paragraph or two. If I really see something else to bring out later in the article, I'll pull that out too. And yea, I read the whole prison part as well -- I simply laughed.

Again, I post the links so that (a) the thread isn't all made up and (b) for your reading pleasure. I've never seen anyone bitch about someone's posting habit as much as you do.

You asked me my opinion, bro.

KyuuAL said:
You expect me to copy-paste the whole thing? Or, should I take greater effort of selective reading and pick parts that you might want to read - without clicking the link?
Apr 11, 2014 1:41 PM

Aug 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
especially the psychological harassment to the kids.

Oh, one more thing: the kids got to witness and see some bit of justice done, even if it is minor from our viewpoint.

Apr 11, 2014 3:28 PM
Nov 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
people like to cherry pick details (or intentionally mislabel threads) and leave out others in current events a lot, it's usually what results in a lot of misunderstandings.
Apr 12, 2014 2:36 AM

Jul 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
I remember one case where a guy was being ignored by a woman at a bar when he was trying to hit on her. Long story short he beat the shit out of her, and she chose to not charge him as long as he held up a sign saying "I beat women".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2014 7:01 AM

Jan 2013
Minagatachi said:
IntroverTurtle said:
I remember one case where a guy was being ignored by a woman at a bar when he was trying to hit on her. Long story short he beat the shit out of her, and she chose to not charge him as long as he held up a sign saying "I beat women".

Make him hold that sign up in a biker or military Bar. The Patrons for the most will beat him, or look guilty depends on the location and unit really.
Apr 12, 2014 11:12 PM
Jul 2018
TallonKarrde23 said:
Do you have to reply to me by repeating what I've said already and ignoring me having said it so often?

This is twice in the same day, come on.

My mistake. I missed the post where you said it.

Minagatachi said:
IntroverTurtle said:

What? Where in the world did that happen?
Apr 14, 2014 3:47 PM
May 2007
Well, I suppose they could sue him, but those kinds of legal battles take years and the guy is 62 and he could croak at any second for all we know. But hey, it will probably be worth it. But as far as we know, at least during these past 15 years, no serious harm has been severely done to those two children. I admire that respective couple for going out of their way to adopt those special needs youths. They deserve EVERYBODY'S respect and not childish ridicule.

Sure the 62 year old man is relatively being punished as an 8 year old with the sign, but he deserves to be treated like a child to some degree for such ridiculously childish behavior. But the fact that he tried to gas the house with kerosene should have been taken into account for a sentence longer than 15 days.
Apr 16, 2014 8:19 AM

Dec 2012
Thread about normal news like this should not be in Current Event unless there is significant implication of such news, or it is particularly interesting. Forcing people to hold sign on public display for their mishap is not rare so there is little to discuss.

-Thread Locked.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.