Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 18, 2014 4:20 PM
Jun 2010
In some sense, it is. But to avoid turning their MC into a gary stu character, flaws are often added to the character as imperfections, as well as rich background story explaining how they came to be, and other flaws and disadvantages.

In the end, it's really now noticeable it is to the reader.
Apr 18, 2014 5:27 PM
Oct 2013
LazyLuong said:
In some sense, it is. But to avoid turning their MC into a gary stu character, flaws are often added to the character as imperfections, as well as rich background story explaining how they came to be, and other flaws and disadvantages.

Basically Gary Stu be a super OP and perfect character thats OP and perfect for no reason? Ya that make sense.
Apr 18, 2014 5:46 PM
Oct 2012
RexZShadow said:
LazyLuong said:

Basically Gary Stu be a super OP and perfect character thats OP and perfect for no reason? Ya that make sense.

Not quite. First a little history, the original use of Stu was not for male characters, but for female character called "Mary Sue", so OP is not necessarily a trait, though some form of "perfect" is generally (the link below gives a great example of a Stu from Star Trek).

Basically the Stu character is the personification of traits the author considers good and just, and as such cannot believe that anyone could possibly have issues with.

This is why I defined it as "automatic universal admiration the character has from everyone in the story," because that is the trait I think both shows that the writer doesn't realize what they are doing and something that is the easiest for the readers to identify (one can put up with a OP lead if the story is good, but an OP that every character gushes about really becomes annoying very quickly).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
Apr 18, 2014 6:09 PM
Oct 2013
Ah ok that make lot more sense, well leave it to the internet to throw words w/o understanding what they mean =X
Apr 18, 2014 6:39 PM

Feb 2014
Basically, Tatsuya started with max stats (battle attributes) since episode 1. heck, even he still in sealed form. If he started weaker then getting stronger after time, he could avoided the Gary Stu label(OP) on term of his strength. Yet, his "no emotion" personality actually make it worse.
Miyuki not exaggerating about Tatsuya never lose in true fight because he actually really never lost in true fight so far.
And, Tatsuya also mostly will get what he want if he try.
Yes, he is not a full Gary Stu. But, we actually can't fully denied he is Gary Stu either.
He just too plain in character even his flaws not help his characterization to the extent the story need other characters to make it up Tatsuya's plain personality.
Apr 18, 2014 7:26 PM
Oct 2012
MShukyDeneuve said:
But, we actually can't fully denied he is Gary Stu either....He just too plain in character.

Your second statement contradicts the first statement. A "too plain" character cannot be a "Gary Stu" character. The whole point of a "Gary Stu" or "Mary Sue" is how gosh incredible they are supposed to be.
Apr 18, 2014 9:12 PM
Jun 2010
I don't think "automatic universal admiration the character has from everyone in the story" is quite right either. The definition is far too broad.

If we visualize the world of your definition, the world where everyone in the story admire the MC, there is no conflicts, arch-nemesis, no villains, no strangers, etc. Huge problem for a story to exist with such definition.

Now we will narrow it down to the MC's direct peers. The world where the MC's direct peers admires him, yet there can still envy, jealousy, strangers, enemies, villains, etc. This is a more believable definitions, but wouldn't this fit the definition of many of the MC out there. This is actually what happens, the peers he mainly interact with, acknowledge and/or admires him and therefore does fit the definition.

Then again, if we were to widen the range from his direct peers to his surroundings of both friends and foes, this will fall into the problem of never being able to fit the definitions. The whole "stu" definition should have existed in the first place.

Either way, arguing about word definition is silly overall, IMO, because news words are constantly created, while old words definition are constantly changing through time.
Apr 18, 2014 9:44 PM
Oct 2012
LazyLuong said:
If we visualize the world of your definition, the world where everyone in the story admire the MC, there is no conflicts, arch-nemesis, no villains, no strangers, etc. Huge problem for a story to exist with such definition.

Not quite, there are villains or conflicts, but the "Stuness" of the character obliterates them in the end. That is why such stories are ultimately disappointing. If the MC actually has real challenges or conflicts then they wouldn't be a "Stu" character, they would just be a normal MC. If I wanted to point to a series that has obvious "Stuness" David Weber's Honor Series would be a perfect example: it isn't so much that she is smart and attractive, but rather that everyone, even her enemies ultimately love her (or if not love, at least admiring her spunk).

If a "Gary Stu" is a "all men want to be him and all women want to sleep with him" stereotype, then the Mary Sue type would be that gosh darn "not classically beautiful, but really great bone structure, goes aboard military ships with an intelligent cat on her shoulder, is a brilliant tactician even though really she doesn't do much, in the end she becomes a noble in an egalitarian society heroine.

LazyLuong said:
This is a more believable definitions,

But that is sort of the point. Stu characters are NOT believable, that is what makes them "Stu". Take Odysseus as an example: one of the best Greek warriors, and by far the smartest, he would be a perfect Stu character because of his OP qualities if not for the fact that he DOES have conflicts or problems. Stu's would have made Poseidon himself go "well he blinded my son, but gosh you gotta love his spunk in challenging us gods so I will let him return home"

That is what distinguishes a Stu from an MC or even an OP. It may be a neologism, but you can't take away this distinguishing feature and still have this word. If just being an MC or an OP is enough to make one "Stu" then there would not be the need for the word.
Apr 18, 2014 9:48 PM

Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
MShukyDeneuve said:
But, we actually can't fully denied he is Gary Stu either....He just too plain in character.

Your second statement contradicts the first statement. A "too plain" character cannot be a "Gary Stu" character. The whole point of a "Gary Stu" or "Mary Sue" is how gosh incredible they are supposed to be.

No, i am not. You just misunderstood me.
The whole point of my statement is "Because Tatsuya is too great, it ended up made his character too plain, almost any his flaws is ignored because his greatness"

He is too strong, too calm, too smart, too cool, basically a walking nuke, etc. Even his flaws not help his characterization more colorful, in the end made his greatness looks plain. got what i mean?

What you mean incredible, of course Tatsuya is incredible, on story wise ,that is. Everyone strangely attracted to him because his Plainness(greatness) , resulted the your "how gosh incredible he is supposed to be".

But, on characterization, he is too great that ended up it made him plain. The one who make it up for Tatsuya character is other characters(mainly their flaws), Miyuki's "brocon", Erika's over familiar, Hattori's discrimination, Leo's short temper, etc. Got that now.
Apr 18, 2014 10:07 PM
Oct 2012
MShukyDeneuve said:
The whole point of my statement is "Because Tatsuya is too great, it ended up made his character too plain, almost any his flaws is ignored because his greatness"

He is too strong, too calm, too smart, too cool, basically a walking nuke, etc. Even his flaws not help his characterization more colorful, in the end made his greatness looks plain. got what i mean?

What you mean incredible, of course Tatsuya is incredible, on story wise ,that is. Everyone strangely attracted to him because his Plainness(greatness) , resulted the your "how gosh incredible he is supposed to be".

But, on characterization, he is too great that ended up it made him plain. The one who make it up for Tatsuya character is other characters(mainly their flaws), Miyuki's "brocon", Erika's over familiar, Hattori's discrimination, Leo's short temper, etc. Got that now.

I would disagree because at least the people who are attracted to him have been given reasons to be attracted to him: his sister because he saved her life at the start of the first episode; the student council president because she is after his sister and realizes that the shortest route is through him; the discipline committee member because she got the implications of his explanation at the end of the first episode (shown when she told the VP why she was interested) and realized what his talent actual was.

When the plot of the story makes the MC awesome, the MC is not a Stu. This is why Kirito ultimately was not a Stu (when the entire premise of the show is that they are trapped in a MMORPG that allows characters to "level up", that the MC "level's up" is not a fault of the character, but is rather tied to the premise of the show).

Tatsuya is not a Stu, because his emotionless personality is tied into why he is so strong, it's a plot development, not the author just making the MC too gosh darn awesome. That is the distinction.

Now this doesn't mean that Tatsuya will prove to be a great MC, but that is a different matter, one more associated with the plot than the ability of the author to make a believable character.

Too many people think "I dislike the MC therefore he is a Stu". That is not the case, far from defining something, all the word becomes is a tautology for "something I don't like". If that is the case then "Stu" has no meaning, all you have to say is "I don't like the character."
Apr 18, 2014 10:09 PM
Jun 2010
Takuan_Soho said:
It may be a neologism, but you can't take away this distinguishing feature and still have this word.

I would love to see you argue with someone about the definition of hacker, where one is using the original definition of the word hacker, while the other uses the more modern used definition of the word.

---

Well we're not using it because we dislike the character, well maybe the others are, but I know I'm not.
Apr 19, 2014 3:23 AM
Apr 2011
Well isn't Tatsuya different in away? The very society he lives in brands him a failure. The reaaon he lacks emotion is also a great insight into the world and explains why his personality is lacking... Tatsuya knows as a human he is effectively broken.. "I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered"
Apr 19, 2014 4:44 AM

Jan 2008
Takuan_Soho said:
MShukyDeneuve said:

I would disagree because at least the people who are attracted to him have been given reasons to be attracted to him: his sister because he saved her life at the start of the first episode; the student council president because she is after his sister and realizes that the shortest route is through him; the discipline committee member because she got the implications of his explanation at the end of the first episode (shown when she told the VP why she was interested) and realized what his talent actual was.

When the plot of the story makes the MC awesome, the MC is not a Stu. This is why Kirito ultimately was not a Stu (when the entire premise of the show is that they are trapped in a MMORPG that allows characters to "level up", that the MC "level's up" is not a fault of the character, but is rather tied to the premise of the show).

Tatsuya is not a Stu, because his emotionless personality is tied into why he is so strong, it's a plot development, not the author just making the MC too gosh darn awesome. That is the distinction.

Now this doesn't mean that Tatsuya will prove to be a great MC, but that is a different matter, one more associated with the plot than the ability of the author to make a believable character.

Too many people think "I dislike the MC therefore he is a Stu". That is not the case, far from defining something, all the word becomes is a tautology for "something I don't like". If that is the case then "Stu" has no meaning, all you have to say is "I don't like the character."

Also Kirito was a beta tester for the game and so had inside information on the game that other people did not.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
Apr 19, 2014 8:11 AM

Oct 2013
I was going to ask the same thing they better explain that.

Apr 19, 2014 8:19 AM
Aug 2012
Saskee said:
I was going to ask the same thing they better explain that.

Read the first page, the topic already deviated from the original post.

Apr 19, 2014 2:12 PM

Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
MShukyDeneuve said:

That's the author idea,that is why he is a plain character, he needs the other characters to make his character more colorful...Envy, love, jealously, interested toward him. Without that he is plain, a living robot.

For me, Kirito is a pure Gary Stu though. The author try to give a reason why he this and that, but it still makes no sense. Have many information, beta tester, resulted he have max stats even soloing big boss...The author just need to be honest and said Kirito is using cheat(which fit with game genre) that is why he almost invincible for example, that is more believable rather than something vague and roundabout way like information this and information that. But, let say we have different idea toward Kirito.
As for Tatsuya, it still make no sense though, till last vol...He actually the strongest in the world, even the aunt acknowledged she might lose 1 on 1 against Tatsuya. Again, the author try to give flaws to Tatsuya's character, but it have no effect because his greatness can kick that flaws away. It is not plot development, he already like that since episode 1 and till last vol, he still like that. We never seen he have actual problem with his battle because of his flaws for example, he just casually overpowering enemies. Until he can be defeated in a fight, then i stand on my opinion that he is nonsensically OP. And yes, the author made Tatsuya too gosh darn awesome and ended up plain. He basically have no flaw even the author try to give him ones because we never seen he truly affected by it.

BUT, i think he is great MC in this series though...Yeah, that because almost all people is a bunch of douchebag. Arrogant but weakling, discrimination everywhere, bullying, a rigid society, etc. It makes Tatsuya a least bad one in a bunch of worst characters . For example, if i compare it with other series, there is time when i actually cheering/ sympathetic on enemy, because even though the enemy is evil, but he/she is a good built character. Yet, in Mahouka, all enemies is just a bunch of 2D evil who just became evil because of silly reason or did not have any good trait at all. Even Lina who is a decent one still fail in my eyes.

Even though i considered Tatsuya not a Gary Stu, but i can't actually disagree on people who said he is a Stu, because for me he have Stu trait even though it can be ignored.
But, if it comes to the never ending arguments situation, at least i can agree that Tatsuya is a "good" Stu.
If i allowed to complain though, i want Tatsuya a bit weaker or see him struggle rather than easily crush everything on his path. Yet, he is too great that he actually can accomplished anything alone and ironically failed because of his friends influenced.
FlashofthebackApr 19, 2014 2:19 PM
Apr 19, 2014 2:55 PM
Apr 2014
i just want to say this i dont know why everyone think tatsuya is Gary sue
1)for me overpower character is totally meaningless in this series because until the volume 9 he was very powerful but that is because all of his opponent was to arrogant and prideful plus they are the same age so did not go into combat much and they were from his country
2) the GAA is very low on information about magic because all there magical research was destroy so they are not really that strong
3) after volume 9 tatsuya almost die or would've lost in battle because this time he face a real opponent from a greatly advance country and everything in the show is not like if u can nuke u can always win because u would die in process
4)to win is like rock,paper,scissor if u can counter it u maybe able to defeat it and tatsuya almost lost because of this and this is also a reason why he can defeat his aunt because he can counter it while other people cant do that
5)while he is smart but what is wrong with that i mean he cant live a normal life for many reason one is his emotion and two is his family and he almost die many times that could be the reason he research and get smarter plus he got talent for it anyways
6)his power is not absolute because some people could counter it maybe able to defeat it
7)lastly his opponent is no longer just human like volume 9 just prove
oldguestApr 19, 2014 3:09 PM
Apr 19, 2014 3:53 PM
Jan 2014
MShukyDeneuve said:
Takuan_Soho said:
MShukyDeneuve said:

I spoiler most of what you said due to it being partly spoilers and in some parts wrong and misleading. Hence my response in spoilers (which will also spoil parts of the anime if people read so you have been warned):
SinarBloodApr 19, 2014 9:39 PM
Apr 24, 2014 8:15 PM

Jun 2013
SinarBlood said:
MShukyDeneuve said:
Takuan_Soho said:
MShukyDeneuve said:

I spoiler most of what you said due to it being partly spoilers and in some parts wrong and misleading. Hence my response in spoilers (which will also spoil parts of the anime if people read so you have been warned):

I pretty much agree with all your points, although I don't think Angie
Apr 24, 2014 9:22 PM
Oct 2013
Apr 24, 2014 9:26 PM

Jul 2013
krownklown said:
SinarBlood said:
MShukyDeneuve said:
Takuan_Soho said:
MShukyDeneuve said:

What, you're confusing something here,

Apr 24, 2014 10:09 PM

Jun 2013
EasyGo-er said:
krownklown said:
SinarBlood said:
MShukyDeneuve said:
Takuan_Soho said:
MShukyDeneuve said:

What, you're confusing something here,

Yes and no
Apr 24, 2014 10:10 PM
Oct 2013

Edit:
RexZShadowApr 24, 2014 10:28 PM
Apr 24, 2014 11:22 PM

Jul 2013
@krownklown

@RexZShadow

Apr 25, 2014 4:48 AM

Jun 2013
EasyGo-er said:
@krownklown

@RexZShadow

My thing is though, his ability must be used actively by him to heal others, but its passive or automatic for him and remember he is not healing he is
Apr 25, 2014 8:31 AM
Oct 2013
Apr 25, 2014 3:15 PM

Jun 2013
RexZShadow said:

Yea since
Apr 26, 2014 12:15 AM
Oct 2013
Confucius said:
In episode 1, the guy claims they aren't twins, but they were born on different months. Is it actually possible to give birth to one kid in one month and another one in the next?
theirs a 13 month difference its like over here in the states if your bday is after lets say august you have to wait a year to start school so Tatsuya is 1 year old but (using my example) born in September he starts school at age 6 where as his sis is 1 year younger but born in august she gets to start school at age 5 so they both start school at the same time
“How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain his health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in the future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born”
― Imam Ali as
Apr 26, 2014 1:20 AM

Jul 2013
odysseyrh said:
Confucius said:
In episode 1, the guy claims they aren't twins, but they were born on different months. Is it actually possible to give birth to one kid in one month and another one in the next?
theirs a 13 month difference its like over here in the states if your bday is after lets say august you have to wait a year to start school so Tatsuya is 1 year old but (using my example) born in September he starts school at age 6 where as his sis is 1 year younger but born in august she gets to start school at age 5 so they both start school at the same time

In this case, school year in Japan starts with April and ends with March the following year. As an example, Tatsuya who was born in April 2013 is the oldest one while Miyuki who was born in March 2014 is the youngest one in their school year. Both were able to attend the same year because they're considered to be of the same age based on the Japanese's school system. This means that there's 11 months gap between them. Many were confused because they thought the siblings were born on the same year while it's actually not and this was only made possible because of the Japanese's school system.

Apr 26, 2014 10:26 PM

Mar 2013
Doesn't matter how they're related, it'll never happen.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Apr 27, 2014 1:02 AM

Nov 2011
AirStyles said:
Might be possible.

Especially if one of them are birth prematurely, like 8 month.

That or adoption.

Probably not sister and brother for real. I mean how many other clues do we need ?XD One has magic, the other doesn,t, they look very different, they are kinda in love and they have 8 months btween them. This 8 months to me is the most relevant point. First of all, no woman would get pregnant immediately after giving birth, body needs at least a couple months to recover. So from those 8 months you would need to get out like 2 to get to what "prematurely born" would mean. Secondly, I see absolutely no point for the author to come up with this age difference that makes no sense unless he had something in mind and I bet we won't read about how the woman gave birth prematurely
Apr 27, 2014 2:04 AM

Jul 2013
Morridine said:
AirStyles said:
Might be possible.

That or adoption.

Probably not sister and brother for real. I mean how many other clues do we need ?XD One has magic, the other doesn,t, they look very different, they are kinda in love and they have 8 months btween them. This 8 months to me is the most relevant point. First of all, no woman would get pregnant immediately after giving birth, body needs at least a couple months to recover. So from those 8 months you would need to get out like 2 to get to what "prematurely born" would mean. Secondly, I see absolutely no point for the author to come up with this age difference that makes no sense unless he had something in mind and I bet we won't read about how the woman gave birth prematurely

Tatsuya was born in April while Miyuki was born in March the year after. It's 11 months difference, not 8. What didn't make sense was your calculation. As for all of your other questions, it will be explained at the end of the seasons.

Apr 27, 2014 3:42 AM

Dec 2011
Sometimes I'm rather confused that with all the explanations that both of them are related, some people just can't (or don't want?) accept it.

It has been confirmed several times in the LN, and at one point
Apr 27, 2014 3:49 AM
Jun 2010
Due to my date of birth, I was close to having to wait till next year to start school, being in the same school year as my little sister, so seeing the two siblings being in the same school year doesn't surprise me at all.
Apr 27, 2014 6:12 AM

May 2009
Question was answered long time ago. Lock this thread.
May 2, 2014 2:29 PM

May 2012
just watch the godamn anime
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

May 10, 2014 3:14 PM
Oct 2013
Morridine said:
AirStyles said:
Might be possible.

That or adoption.

'one has magic the other doesnt' hahaha oh how naïve you are....... its 13 months difference and yes, yes they are blood siblings. And the love well you have to wait and see there is a reason that they are like that.
“How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain his health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in the future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born”
― Imam Ali as
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.