Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
May 23, 2014 2:05 PM

May 2014
Fai said:
Z4k said:
TheFilthyCasual said:
Watched the first episode.

Mechs? Check.
Giant monsters? Check.
Unlikely protagonist suddenly thrust into life-threatening situation? Check.
Kinky, "only in anime" sexual element (3rd gender)? Check.
Illuminati? Check.

Par for the course so far. But dat CG is crap.

Ergo, not interested.

You're missing some excellent stuff. Don't let the CG put you off. Atleast try 2 or 3 episode and if its still crap then meh maybe its your different tastes in anime.

Please ignore the troll(Which was obvious the minute the bait at "third gender only in anime" thing was made.).
I certainly can't say I've seen a Western TV show where the obvious love interest was neither male nor female but still human.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
May 23, 2014 2:13 PM

Apr 2014
Fai said:
Z4k said:
TheFilthyCasual said:
Watched the first episode.

Mechs? Check.
Giant monsters? Check.
Unlikely protagonist suddenly thrust into life-threatening situation? Check.
Kinky, "only in anime" sexual element (3rd gender)? Check.
Illuminati? Check.

Par for the course so far. But dat CG is crap.

Ergo, not interested.

You're missing some excellent stuff. Don't let the CG put you off. Atleast try 2 or 3 episode and if its still crap then meh maybe its your different tastes in anime.

Please ignore the troll(Which was obvious the minute the bait at "third gender only in anime" thing was made.).

Oh...well that's a shame
Jun 7, 2014 12:59 AM

Apr 2012
damm this is interesting, where those pinkish haired girls clones they all looked the same even there hair was the same length n the poor mc how many times did he get roughed up this ep
Jun 25, 2014 6:25 PM

Aug 2013
I have never seen a main character get so roughed up within the first five minutes of an show before. Ouch.
Jun 25, 2014 8:30 PM
Feb 2014
before you say this anime is crap, make sure you watch eps 4, 7, 8, 11 since it's already out. that's what you'll miss.. :p
Jun 29, 2014 4:50 AM

Jan 2007
This is actually quite fun, not nearly as creative and thought provoking as Nihei's other manga I read, I did not yet start this manga, but yeah, I like the anime, it's entertaining if a little too mainstream at times, but it still feels like it's the work of Nihei, which is great.
Jun 29, 2014 5:37 PM

Nov 2012
The CG/character designs aren't that bad,but it's kinda hard to distinguish between which character is which.

Already hate Norio,can't wait for him to die.
Jun 30, 2014 11:25 AM

Jan 2014
Very special. Like every aspect of it so much... Only maybe the
character design a bit less, but it's acceptable nevertheless.^.^
Jul 1, 2014 7:45 PM

Dec 2012
Now I know what people meant about the art, this is the Aku no Hana of CG. Not to say I dislike it though, it's piqued my interest but it's going to take time to adjust to it. No complaints about the CG locker room scene though. The atmosphere is reminiscent to Ergo Proxy, I'm interested to see where this goes.
Jul 4, 2014 11:02 AM

Jun 2012
First episode hooked me. The CG didn't particularly bother me either, maybe because I'm used to it after seeing CG used in other anime series.

The OP was pretty damn awesome too. I'd heard part of it before but the full OP is just epic. Feels very fitting.
Jul 6, 2014 5:31 PM

Sep 2009
God the animation is beautiful.
Jul 10, 2014 9:00 PM
Jun 2013
While the visuals are nice the frame rate is just freaking awful. So far this is just ok. We got our lead his rival the person who will most likely fall for him (non gender person) and not get the feelings returned and we have our obvious love intrest for the lead. What I found intersting is the non gender thing and whats with those pink hair girl clones.
Jul 15, 2014 8:32 PM

Dec 2012
Whoa, I really, REALLY liked this. What's with the fuss about the animation? Works really well and adds to the atmosphere. Sound so far is fucking fantastic, sick ED music. That Gauna looked absolutely terrifying.
Aug 27, 2014 11:35 AM
May 2014
I don't really know what to say. I like the plot and stuff so far but the way the characters are animated kinda pisses me off. It's like that one scene in Mekakucity Actors that everyone got 'the most' angry about..

other than the different-to-normal character visuals and a few choppy scenes (maybe it's just my copy but I'm pretty sure it's actually like that) it's okay..
Aug 28, 2014 7:51 AM

Jun 2008
Nilvius said:
I'm ok with CG mecha, CG building and objects but CG humans is gonna take some getting used to.

Yeah CG on the average budget can't make successful humans. You need the best CG for the humans to look half decent but i guess if the show is good i won't let that stop my fun.
I kind of like the dystopian atmosphere and let's see where this goes.

Yackdack said:
GenuineAnime said:
Good episode. But is it just me or a lot of these characters look alike?

I haven't read the manga but it seems cloning and human engineering is the norm. At least that was my conclusion from the characters appearances, mention of a 3rd gender, and if I understood it correctly their bodies can use photosynthesis.

While watching i was wondering on whether the similarity was on purpose due to plot(cloning etc) or just because of the CG. Consitering we have a third gender you are probably right.

BUT forget about the third gender. You people thought that was weird? Then WTF about the bear woman? Now THAT i found weird. The anime didn't indicate that it's a world were animals speak etc so i was like 'WTF is with her?'
MonadAug 28, 2014 8:00 AM
Sep 28, 2014 12:43 PM

Oct 2012
They really have the best looking backgrounds of late yet they put horrible CG animation over them.
I wouldn't mind it. I actually knew this was wholly CG anime. But! To have 3D running on standard anime 12-14fps is unforgivable. Not to mention those stiff faces and inability to show any emotion.
Did they not know of Live2D software or something similiar that operates with 2D layers on 3D polygons perhaps? There is actually a lot of technology around that would gave this better results.

I give it one or two more episodes to see if this continues to be an issue for me but it was disappointing start of the show

And as for the story... I still don't know but there seems to be a lot of cliche characters and I am lacking some atmosphere. But the moment when MC left the ship was done better so if this focuses on space I can possibly cope with it.

I also had the problem with MC getting lowest score on test yet he was given priority to fly in mecha relic from previous war, that was not realistic at all and I say it is typical quirk of shounen genre.
Mich666Sep 28, 2014 1:30 PM
Sep 28, 2014 1:36 PM

Jul 2012
HyperTokyo said:
I don't really know what to say. I like the plot and stuff so far but the way the characters are animated kinda pisses me off. It's like that one scene in Mekakucity Actors that everyone got 'the most' angry about..

Well, MCA's CGI was done poorly. Sidonia's is good.
Nov 2, 2014 3:10 PM

Jul 2008
CG animation in anime has come a long way, nice to see studios really embracing it. The sound editing, too, is absolutely top notch. That's usually a fairly disappointing aspect in anime, but it has a very cinematic, immersive feel here. A really great start. Lovely to finally see a Tsutomu anime outside of the Blame OVAs yonks ago, too.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 26, 2014 10:25 AM

May 2012
Quite nice start I must say, I'm not a fan of the CGI but well let's see what this series will offer us!
Dec 8, 2014 7:49 AM

Aug 2013
Mhm.... I love the animation.
The story seem interesting.. I already don't like the long hair dude.
Feb 14, 2015 3:47 PM

Jun 2014
Watching this in HD was just mouth dropping, would love to watch a 3D version.

Feb 17, 2015 8:01 AM

Oct 2014
OP was pretty good, solid CG, and it seems interesting so far.
Mar 25, 2015 6:23 PM

Jun 2014
The 3d physics in this show is so awkward lol. but overall i think this will be enjoyable
Apr 11, 2015 9:27 PM
Jun 2013
My only problem is the motion animation..

It looks like constant lag and it just keeps stuttering.

Its hard to enjoy this at all.
May 17, 2015 11:52 PM

Jan 2015
Questerdude1 said:
My only problem is the motion animation..

It looks like constant lag and it just keeps stuttering.

Its hard to enjoy this at all.

I see what you mean. Just started watching this anime today, hopefully it will be a good watch :)
Jun 8, 2015 1:20 PM

Jul 2009
I drop the show the first time it aired since i decided to watch it on BD instead.

After watching it on BD(Sentai). Looking back, wow i love the CGI!! Really looks awesome!! I'm not really a fan of CGI, but damn it feels perfect for a show like this.

I still prefer 2D, but Sidonia definitely feels right at home on CGI. Makes me wonder if Sunrise is willing to do another Gundam with CGI fight scenes.

Amazing first episode. Lots of Life and Hometown i'm seeing :)

Can't wait for the next episode!
Jun 9, 2015 3:46 PM
Jul 2018
So I decided to take Sidonia as my first full CG and I have mixed feelings. So far, I lie the scenery and everything looks great but it's really really weird to see the characters in a total different style.
That aside...for a first episode I felt eveything was rushed. How and why did Nagate get admited again? I have no idea...it's seems totally out of the blue.
Jun 9, 2015 6:55 PM
May 2014
Juhnny said:
So I decided to take Sidonia as my first full CG and I have mixed feelings. So far, I lie the scenery and everything looks great but it's really really weird to see the characters in a total different style.
That aside...for a first episode I felt eveything was rushed. How and why did Nagate get admited again? I have no idea...it's seems totally out of the blue.

Bear with the animation. They improve throughout the season. As for Nagate, let's just say the Captain has a particular interest in him.
Jun 28, 2015 1:53 AM

Dec 2009
It was an alright start. The whole CG thing is something to get use to. But I liked Atmosphere so far.
Jul 11, 2015 7:52 AM

Dec 2012
I love the art style & cgi 10/10

Jul 21, 2015 3:30 PM

Jul 2015
So far so good.

The OST is great and the first thing I really noticed, aside from the CG. The CG is done really well imo, and I really dig the art style. I wasn't sure I would be pleased about either at first, but some how both seem to suit the tone and feel of this anime (at least from what I've seen so far is just this one episode lol).

No doubt about it, episode 2 here I come! 4/5
Jul 29, 2015 12:02 AM

Nov 2012
Entravity said:
The framerate for the CGI really didn't help the viewing experiences and was actually quite distracting a lot of the time.

The story and concept are interesting though.

that third gender though

damn social justice warriors

Aug 30, 2015 8:47 AM

Aug 2013
That was interesting. I was surprised by all the CG. The only parts that bothered me were the choppy/low frame rate humans. Some of those scenes looked like it could use some more work.

Good episode. The mechs looks nice. Looking forward to the next episode.
Sep 11, 2015 6:20 AM

Mar 2012
Good episode
Switched to dub at the final moment
And it's fking jonny bosch again
End Zionazism
Oct 31, 2015 5:34 AM

Jul 2014
Promising starting episode. 3D is weird, characterization suffers from it a bit, and I kinda agree with garydai, the low frame rate for humain motion sucks. Oh boy! it would have been way better with sweet 2D... but oh well, can't get it all.
Nov 9, 2015 12:53 AM

Jul 2013
Fully CGI is weird. I tried watching it months ago and the animation style put my off in the mere 5 minutes from watching it. But decided to give it another chance though. My eyes adjusted to it fine and it is still weird but I just finished episode 1.

I like the idea of the false faces trying to start a fake war. And now students on their first mission encounter one of the Gaunas.
Dec 29, 2015 7:28 AM
Dec 2014
MariaCadenzavna said:
I drop the show the first time it aired since i decided to watch it on BD instead.<br />
<br />
After watching it on BD(Sentai). Looking back, wow i love the CGI!! Really looks awesome!! I'm not really a fan of CGI, but damn it feels perfect for a show like this.<br />
<br />
I still prefer 2D, but Sidonia definitely feels right at home on CGI. Makes me wonder if Sunrise is willing to do another Gundam with CGI fight scenes.<br />
<br />
Amazing first episode. Lots of Life and Hometown i'm seeing :)<br />
<br />
Can't wait for the next episode!

Aye this is one of those shows that you should really watch in good quality. A nice well encoded BD rip is so much better than streaming.
Jan 13, 2016 8:17 AM

Jun 2013
I had my calm moment for a while and 5 minutes into this first episode everything went batshit insane, "boy, that escalated quickly" meme in this one for sure.
Had to wait another hour to think about, what the hell am I watching.
Apr 10, 2016 7:51 PM

Jan 2015
Came across this on my Netflix recommendations list, I haven't seen a lot of their "original series" stuff, but I thought what the hell. So far I'm a little bit slow getting into it, but it's got my interest enough to continue. This is my first go with something CGI like this, and I have to admit, I don't hate it as much as I thought I would, much of it is in fact really beautiful. I'm on board for a bit, it'll be interesting to see where this goes.
May 7, 2016 11:05 AM

Jan 2013
Interesting animation style, not sure if CGI is my style, but it'll do in this show.
Already some interesting stuff, a bear as a doctor or nurse I presume.
Third genders, neither male nor female - I wonder what they'll do with that in this show.
Big ass monsters.

ED was nice.

Thought it was a bit boring first half but coming close to their launch I was thoroughly interested.
Aug 2, 2016 11:20 PM

Apr 2009
100 years?

This seems like Attack on Gauna.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2016 10:32 PM

May 2016
Damn. Look at those high scores... 98 perfect runs in a row. I'm digging the op and the CGI as well <3

Mandatory girl's locker room condition fulfilled~ I'm liking those asses. 3rd gender and white haired clone girls...the future is a strange and wonderful place.

Nakase got so much punishment in just the first episode. He didn't even deserve most of it. How he manages to deal with them is impressive. Unranked score in Type 18 VR. Ouch. Despite his misfortune, Nakase is quite lucky. Getting a hug from the Captain and boarding that Type 17 that ended the 4th war a century ago.

I expected Ochiai, but it was DIO! I could recognize that voice anywhere :3

Of all places and times, a Gauna had to appear on the very spot they first mined for ice. Shingeki no Gauna is more like it xD

Jun 11, 2017 7:48 PM

Jul 2016
Okay. The opening? Super hilarious. Really hilarious. From the get go, the lyrics went all: "For what purpose do we live-" with that whole space background so I was like damn, this is good. Then it started amping up that beat and the song was so up my alley, I know it can sound a bit juvenile but it sounded horribly (good) epic to the extent that I was holding in my laughter with all the strength I could muster. I was JAMMING, literally jamming. I have not jammed in a while. Papaw said he ran out of glass jars to put any new jams in a week ago, and plus all the fruits weren't ripe yet. Understandably, as I am writing this, I have to stop myself from continuing my jam story. If I was standing, I'd probably bust a nut in the process of dancing my ass off. Put me on America's Got Talent with a boombox playing *this* song and I will become famous, 100% true. It was like the one time I heard the YuGiOh: Duel Monsters opening in it's full entirety after a long time and split my sides from how dramatic it was. I enjoyed this opening very much so. And for holding in my laughter? Brother came in the room at that moment, so I couldn't anymore. I went to the kitchen to cool my senses. Ended up laughing at the sink over what nobody except for I could know or understand the reason for. What a good start. On a non-comical note, I can see myself in the future with my earbuds turnt up to this. I was watching it with my head on the bed while drinking juice and when I saw that two of his fingers were so misshapenly crooked, I nearly choked.

Woah woah woah. I was not expecting the locker room at all? Anyways, it was an okay pilot episode. Not really exciting, Nagate is definitely not a main character protagonist I will favor all that much (he looks just like he does in the manga; plain ugly! :D) and I'm not sure how that will affect my experience yet. What got me interested was the third gender person who hung out with him. It was SO stupid that Nagate did the worst in the testing but he was chosen as a newbie to pilot the 17th tsugumorimabob over the white haired guy. To me, that just seems like a poor move in the storytelling. I do wish that the events in this episode were stretched to two episodes because it was a little too fast. Why did that masked immortal offer Nagate the position when in the first place, becoming a pilot isn't easy? Oh, let me guess. "I saw potential in that shounen, no screw the fact that he was a rice thief before and came from nowhere and there are no such records of Nagate Tanikaze, I wanted him. Desu."

I also accidentally turned on the Spanish audio and it sounded really good, I tried multiple times to force myself to turn it back to the Japanese audio.
Cazqui-09Jun 11, 2017 7:56 PM
Aug 15, 2017 10:08 AM
Jun 2016
Nilvius said:
Danish said:
the obvious frame-cutting and missing scenes from the manga
Yeah, the characters' movements were really choppy and it's really a shame that they have to stick to a 23 min format/ unlikely to get a 40 min special as Nihei's works are the sort that really needs the time to gradually build up to get the full impact.

I like the opening and ending. I havent watched meccha before so the plot feels more original thab sone other animes Ive seen. I like the way the characters lok too even thought I think the main character loks like a girl xD. Im a bit bothere about the way the characters move,a bit choppily and unnaturally but other than that Im good with this show
Oct 23, 2018 1:40 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Usually dont care about CGI on monsters or mechs, but I really dont enjoy it on people, it is a big NO NO for me so far, aside that, I think the plot has potential, but the visuals are a major turnoff for me.
Jul 19, 2019 10:51 AM
Jun 2017
Loved the first episode, the op and ed are awesome, animation seems like RWBY style and there seems to be some sort of conspiracy. Too soon to judge characters now.
Sep 17, 2019 10:48 AM

Apr 2019
How does the protagonist survive after jumping off the building? that was shit, dropped
Jun 30, 2020 4:41 PM

May 2010
Too confusing and the characters look too alike. Dropped
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 29, 2020 3:07 PM

Sep 2015
Is this a Muse song
Oct 26, 2021 4:38 PM

Nov 2016
The similarities between AoT and this are definitely there, even down to details like a guy preaching on the streets and the eyecatcher. Funny that both manga started in the same year đź‘€

Like what I've seen so far (including CGI asses) This should be good.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

227 by fooumies »»
Dec 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.