Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 13, 2009 10:12 PM
Oct 2007
somewhat reminds me of that japanese drama Summer Snow, and I remember feeling pretty bad after finishing that series as well.
Oct 14, 2009 4:25 AM

Apr 2009
this show gets +1 for execution of Yuuki's death.

thinking it will get 8/10 or maybe 9... in total, will see how last ep pans out
Oct 17, 2009 5:52 AM

Jan 2008
Finally the truth comes out. The ending was amazing.
Oct 24, 2009 5:17 AM

Jun 2009
totally didnt see that coming...
Nov 2, 2009 1:50 PM

Aug 2007
So yuuki was dead after all. There are still a few things I didnt undertand... but... poor Mirai chan, she was really depressed
Nov 5, 2009 12:58 AM

Apr 2007
I almost found this unwatchable. Not because it was bad—definitely the best episode yet—but because Mirai was so nonchalantly in denial over Yuuki's death ... she's also happier than usual, which makes her gradual change in emotion from happy to confused and to sad over the course of the episode gut-wrenching. And having already figured out back in episode 8 that he was dead, it just became increasingly harder and harder to watch her "interact" with Yuuki, and this episode nearly put it over the edge as she walked around the school with Itsuki looking for him and slowly coming to that painful realization, but not truly understanding it until the very end.

Just a perfect episode all around. Absolutely devastating, really.

I'm a little surprised about people's reaction towards the backpack (or lack thereof, as some initially seemed to shrug it off as a plot-hole). I felt that it was the most surefire evidence of his death, and was 100% Yuuki was no longer with them once Mirai offered to carry it for him. And of course this becomes even more apparent in the previous episode when Yuuki suddenly has the backpack again—didn't ask for it back, mind you—and Mari is seen holding it at the end of the episode.
Nov 7, 2009 8:15 PM

Jul 2008
haha they completely got me. I had believed he got better. I was able to tell about half way into the episode, but it really shocked me that he died.

Edit: I know he died in the hospital, but how exactly? Was he just really sick/exhausted?
Gar_LoganNov 8, 2009 1:49 PM
Dec 30, 2009 3:08 AM

Oct 2009
For some reason I didn't see the backpack in episode 9. I actually had to load it up again after coming in here to see it @ A @''' I guess my eyes were focused on Mari's face or something? I don't honestly know, but I never even noticed it.

I knew this show would end sad, but I thought it would go the other direction (parents dying). I cried a lot D'x -wipes tears-

I didn't see the hints but I took a long break from it up to episode 8, so I didn't exactly have it fresh in my mind. But, tbh, I usually try to avoid even thinking into things too much when I'm watching something.. I like the emotion that comes from the reveals. Even if other people find them really easy to figure out, I try to shut my mind off and just take it in. I find things more enjoyable that way.

Unless it's really really bad.. then I actively figure it out and make fun of it D||

Or if it's a detective mystery < A <'
Jan 7, 2010 4:43 AM

Oct 2009
Dang, that was really sad. I, personally, don't think Yuuki's death was stretched TOO long. I mean, try to think in her position, you'd probably be desperate to hold onto anything to keep believing someone you loved was still alive. Anyway, she was so young, and had to go through her only younger brother dying.

Though, yeah, this series actually made me cry. :P It was just so emotional. Especially since it was based on something more realistic than the other more ridiculous animes.

UPDATE: The backpack thing I noticed too. Though, I didn't really feel sad at all till it was really confirmed that he died. XD
oniikyunJan 7, 2010 4:47 AM
Feb 10, 2010 12:54 PM

May 2009
man....
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Mar 26, 2010 6:55 PM

Oct 2009
I kind of guessed that he died from him saying "what would you do if i was dead" and his disappearing acts and the fact no one was talking to him except for his sister.
Made me go "...." when he said it though. :(
May 2, 2010 4:57 PM

May 2008
That was absolutely painful to watch. I sped through this show, so I guess I didn't pay a lot of attention to the subtle signs of Yuuki's death, so when I finally realized that he had died during his disappearing acts, it really got to me. I didn't find this drawn out at all. The execution was absolutely perfect.
Jun 29, 2010 8:52 AM

Oct 2008
Omg. ;____________;

R.I.P - Yuuki.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 15, 2010 8:40 PM

May 2010
The only reason it seemed drawn out to me was because I read the stupid episode discussion two episodes ago and realized Yuuki was dead. I was too slow to notice it myself, and I probably would have been hit much harder by that if i hadn't already known he was dead. I would have gone through a similar process of denial as the main character, and that would have been beautiful. As it stands, this is the most gut-wrenching death I've seen in a long time. No anime has ever made me cry, not even grave of the fireflies, but this is the closest I've come to tears from an anime.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 28, 2010 6:53 AM

May 2010
Dang, and here i thought that Yuuki will live to see another day together with his family T.T
A_LAug 28, 2010 2:42 PM
Sep 12, 2010 7:32 PM

Feb 2009
I know he died since episode 8, now I want to know what killed him. Was it the Crush Syndrome was talking about?
Oct 23, 2010 3:39 AM

Mar 2009
So Yuuki did die.. I like this twist. It was very believably done in making it seem as though he was still alive.
Oct 29, 2010 3:46 AM

Sep 2010
So....Mirai was dreaming the whole time?..until she got home?...I was confused on that part...but It all cleared up when Yuuki's soul said that he's dead...
poor Yuuki ;_;
Nov 21, 2010 12:10 PM

Dec 2009
I didn't even cry... I felt it wasn't handled very well. Maybe it was because I knew that he was dead since ep 8.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Dec 20, 2010 1:00 AM

Jul 2008
I actually didn't think he was dead - when I saw him play with the other kids on the grass. I dunno - I guess I had a hunch when the episode went on.
Jan 3, 2011 6:37 AM

Jan 2010
stop messing with my brain -_-
even being spoiled and still this was really f-d up...damn it man

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Mar 13, 2011 3:33 PM

Dec 2008
I'm glad that I've gone this long without really reading the discussion threads - I was absolutely floored when Yuuki really turned out to be dead. It was a total shock to me, but looking back on it, it does look really obvious that he was gone, I just wasn't thinking that way. It's not that I was really in denial, either. I was just so focused on, "Wow, things are happy and smooth despite all the horror that's gone on, yay optimism!" that I didn't see it coming. But I guess many people could see that as denial too.

Throughout the episode where he kept appearing and reappearing, which made it horribly obvious he really wasn't there, I kept going, "Noooo. There's no way she's just seeing him. And that he's really dead. Shit, I bet he is. NOOOO don't let it happen! Why does he keep appearing and reappearing?! Coincidence, please! PLEASE! I WANT THEM TO GO HOME TOGETHER. AH, FUCK."

My heart sank all over again. It hits home because I have two younger brothers and I'd be devastated over the loss of either one.

sugarplumfairy said:
Noooo....please don't tell me.....NOOOOO.......not this twist, please nonoononononononoononoooo.........

Yes, pretty much. T_T

I don't feel like any part of the story has been dragged out at all, either. I'm honestly surprised how nicely they pan out, with depth, and I always find myself surprised to be finished when the credits creep up.
Mar 16, 2011 2:28 PM

Jul 2010
I thought it took just a bit too long for Yuuki to finally say it since it was already pretty clear he was dead at the end of episode 9. Still, it was very moving. I was teary-eyed just about the entire time throughout the school scenes. Very powerful.
Mar 20, 2011 10:44 AM

Oct 2010
first time to saw such a story twist, that was so unpredictable.... now it makes sense why mari had yuukis bagpack.....
Mar 21, 2011 5:35 AM

Feb 2008
Wow, that was surprising. So basically Mirai has been hallucinating for the past 2-3 episodes. Some things felt a little strange but I didn't really expect that to happen. It was extremely obvious after he started disappearing in the school, though.
Mar 22, 2011 9:03 AM

Aug 2010
I knew he died back at the hospital, but it didn't hit me as bad as when he kept disappearing and saying he died. I won't lie, I cried :(
Mar 22, 2011 8:13 PM
Feb 2008
Fucking bullshit! Why they do this for!? Fucking Yuuki was a good kid damn and I usually hate little kid characters! :(

As for the length, I agree it was stretched a bit but I think that was just to emphasize how delusional Marai was. They pretty much confirmed his death at the end of episode 9 when you see Mari walk down with his bag when they clearly showed him having it. Then the whole You know....line. Oh and him never saying a word to Mari. But I seriously didn't think about it after episode 8. I thought he was fine and it was all a dream. Then I saw some people questioning it and then ep 9 and I was like oh fuck.
Apr 2, 2011 2:35 PM

Aug 2010
Denial over, Yuuki is DEAD! Why did it have to be him >.<
Sep 4, 2011 10:21 PM
Aug 2010
WOW I can't believe it at all ...I feel very sorry for Mare .
Sep 30, 2011 4:08 PM

Apr 2008
:(

Nov 20, 2011 10:24 PM

Sep 2011
Woah... wtf... wtf.. WTF!!! I was in such denial throughout this whole episode. Ahhh I am so sad and so curious how this is going to end. K brb watching the last episode! D=
Nov 25, 2011 2:16 AM

Oct 2011
I was sure that episode 8 was all dreams. I wasn't as quick or smart as the rest of you. So when I watched this episode....aw....it hit hard :'(
Dec 30, 2011 10:53 AM

Jun 2009
So the first dream in ep. 8 wasn't a dream... I thought that second dream was reality not the first. Well done. And the whole Yuuki disappearing should've convinced people who still weren't sure if Yuuki is dead.
Jan 23, 2012 10:28 PM

Aug 2011
"What would you do if I died?"...
mfw i realized what was going on
Jun 10, 2012 3:10 PM

Jul 2009
What a load of shit. This was suppose to be the perfect anime that portrays the emotions/situations of the aftermath of an earthquake. And now they're going so far to add in some psychosis shit. Fuck that. Should've kept it plain and simple. This just went from a 9 -> possibly a 7. And I highly doubt that last episode will up for it.

Sigh, I really enjoyed that grandpa scene (the one who lost his grandchildren) and the numerous scenes of Mari and Yuuki. But ugh. This now just feels like a House episode. And they better explain how Yuuki died cause all I've seen were signs of fatigue and maybe a mild fever, but it shouldn't be anything that can kill a healthy child who - according to Mirai - never been to the hospital for any serious illnesses. So, logically it just doesn't make sense.
KurogashiJun 10, 2012 3:37 PM
Jun 23, 2012 3:02 PM

Jul 2011
imredjimmy said:
I was sure that episode 8 was all dreams. I wasn't as quick or smart as the rest of you. So when I watched this episode....aw....it hit hard :'(

I just happen to read discussion from episode 9. Totally spoiled. :/

It's weird... usually I notice this stuff. o.o

I was so happy when he was playing with the other kids afterwards too. ><
Jul 7, 2012 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
I was mainly thrown off by Yuuki's death because of, again, this supposedly being a fictionalized take on a realistic disaster. Y'know, most series based in reality don't have too many ghost kids.

I just want to know how this ends now. That was probably the big reveal, but I gotta see what's next.
Aug 31, 2012 11:47 PM

Jan 2012
Oh my, I would have been more shocked if the people in the episode 9 discussion weren't assholes and spoiled his death. I actually thought that he was alive this entire time :(
Oct 28, 2012 9:03 AM

May 2012
Damn so he really did die :'( that explains why Mirai rushed out with his back but he was still holding it on his back... Really sad :( I do wonder what the cause would have been!

Still a great episode but such a sad ending :(
Nov 26, 2012 2:01 PM

Jul 2012
theblur said:
"What would you do if I died?"...
mfw i realized what was going on

+1

D':
Jan 9, 2013 8:58 PM

Aug 2012
Kurogashi said:
What a load of shit. This was suppose to be the perfect anime that portrays the emotions/situations of the aftermath of an earthquake. And now they're going so far to add in some psychosis shit. Fuck that. Should've kept it plain and simple. This just went from a 9 -> possibly a 7. And I highly doubt that last episode will up for it.

Agreed..I feel like they totally strayed from the premise by jerking the viewer around for the last three episodes..and i get that it is realistic that people would be suffering psychologically, but I just think they took that too far and spent way too much time trying to make us second guess ourselves just to build up for the dramatic moment.

Maybe I just really didn't want Yuuki to die, but at this point I dont even care how it ends..I won't be remembering this as a realistic portrayal of the aftermath of an earthquake, rather it'll be "that earthquake anime that went away from its premise to be all psychological(almost supernatural) and take advantage of the viewers emotions.
Feb 9, 2013 8:34 PM

May 2012
Shit. Yuuki is dead... was really surprised about that..
Feb 11, 2013 2:27 PM

Sep 2011
So it's been finally 'revealed'. Though as a lot of people I also expected it ever since the hospital episode.
I think it was stretched out too long, especially in this episode since the disappearing and reappearing got too cheesy. I enjoyed the classroom and other emotional scenes though.
Wonder how this will all end. I don't really want to see Mirai breaking down even more now. Mari might also probably appear with the bag and the present either in an epilogue scene or not long after Mirai reunites with her parents.
May 15, 2013 11:29 PM

Dec 2012
Can't say I'm surprised that Mirai was hallucinating about Yuuki but it's still sad to lose him.
Jun 2, 2013 2:20 PM

Apr 2013
i shed a tear when he said he was dead, i knew he was but just him saying it. :')
Jul 4, 2013 10:30 AM
Jul 2009
for the people who said we spoiled it in the other ep discussions.. it was so bloody obvious @_@ Why else would they even add the scene where her brother died if it didn't really happen?
Kurogashi said:
What a load of shit. This was suppose to be the perfect anime that portrays the emotions/situations of the aftermath of an earthquake. And now they're going so far to add in some psychosis shit. Fuck that. Should've kept it plain and simple. This just went from a 9 -> possibly a 7. And I highly doubt that last episode will up for it..
UserDeletedJul 4, 2013 10:36 AM
Aug 7, 2013 7:56 AM

Oct 2011
rlayer said:
I was mainly thrown off by Yuuki's death because of, again, this supposedly being a fictionalized take on a realistic disaster. Y'know, most series based in reality don't have too many ghost kids.

It's not a ghost, it is Mirai's mind working through the trauma.
Aug 30, 2013 9:49 AM

Mar 2011
The moment I saw him play football with the other kids I realized he had died. The fact that there was no interaction with him other than by his sister, reinforced this as well. Lastly, when you see Mari holding his backpack, then moments later he's wearing it on their truck ride, it's painfully obvious what was going on.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Oct 14, 2013 5:10 AM
Aug 2011
Am I the only one who didn't realize? -_-
Oct 25, 2013 1:29 AM
May 2013
My answer for Yuuki from the beginning of the episode:

I wonder why this anime doesn't have psychological in it's genres .
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UnknownFact - Sep 4, 2009

134 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 27, 2009

180 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:12 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

porkypink - Aug 21, 2009

112 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.