Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 24, 2014 10:44 PM

Oct 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Having seen all 3 episodes I find the sheer intensity of the positive response on this shoe kind of fascinating. Its nothing I haven't really seen before and it doesn't really make the most of its premise though the production values are good. My guess is it wasn't really hyped at all and is good....ish...I guess? That's really all I can offer

Don't take this the wrong way but I think you're just jaded.
Apr 25, 2014 12:58 AM
Feb 2013
Because No Game No Life is able to transcend any other well known MMORPG anime by covering SAO and Log Horizon lacks...
CheatrealApr 25, 2014 1:01 AM
Apr 25, 2014 4:00 AM

Apr 2009
Because it is the most blatant glorification people can get and people like being glorified for no reason.

Aeonenleben said:
Benevolance said:
Because the spring season this year is pretty terrible and this show is actually better than most of the other shows.

ahahaha. This is so true

It's not like this Spring is one of the best season in years with Mushishi, Jojo, Ping Pong, Sidonia, etc.
Then again, if you think this is good then it is pointless to even argue with you guys about it.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 25, 2014 4:43 AM

Apr 2013
pipeds said:
For those people justifying this is for gamers... yes it is for gamers, at least for poker guys, chess guys and those kind of things. The games are not like in MMORPG or anything like that.
But episode 3 proves that this anime is anything but for someone who like/play chess D=
Apr 25, 2014 5:08 AM
Dec 2012
doraemon1992 said:
pipeds said:
For those people justifying this is for gamers... yes it is for gamers, at least for poker guys, chess guys and those kind of things. The games are not like in MMORPG or anything like that.
But episode 3 proves that this anime is anything but for someone who like/play chess D=

I was until a few years a regular chess player and still liked episode 3. Liking chess and liking NGNL don't anything with each other.

Nidhoeggr said:
Because it is the most blatant glorification people can get and people like being glorified for no reason.

The glorification part might be true for some people - but not for all. I definitely don't feel glorified by this - I am well aware that I am and will never be Sora or Shiro and that all the glory in this anime goes to them. I mostly watch the show for the games and characters.

Nidhoeggr said:

It's not like this Spring is one of the best season in years with Mushishi, Jojo, Ping Pong, Sidonia, etc.
Then again, if you think this is good then it is pointless to even argue with you guys about it.

I cloud say same for any shows you listed here - it is pointless if you give no reason for this.
gamer5Apr 25, 2014 5:35 AM
Apr 25, 2014 5:32 AM

Sep 2013
It has fan service, games and funny colours served with 'artistic' (questionable) animation, so naturally every little hipster is all over it. In reality, it's slightly above average.

Lots of production value that's all. Why Sidonia didn't get these values is beyond me.
Apr 25, 2014 5:35 AM

Jul 2008
I actually like it a little more than SAO and I love SAO a lot :D hope this series has at least 2 seasons because 12 episodes for the current season is too short for me :D
Apr 25, 2014 5:36 AM
Jan 2010
Where have you seen this before? Please tell me, I really want to know. I really have to say I don't think you get what is going on, I know you think otherwise, but really nothing you have said has made me think you get this show.

That's Kaioshin_Sama being Kaioshin_Sama. Nothing to see there.

What kind of masochist wouldn't want to be glorified for no reason? :P
Apr 25, 2014 5:46 AM

Mar 2012
Hype for our angel Jibril.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 25, 2014 5:50 AM

Apr 2009
Orix said:

Is it too much to ask for a logical and somewhat well-told story? I do not want masterpieces every single damn time, I just want more anime that actually do not insult my intelligence by saying "I praise you and your lifestyle even though we all know this is laughable, will you like me now?!"
Stuff like Gingitsune, for example. That simple, straight forward, mediocre and totally fine with me.
Apr 25, 2014 7:19 AM

Feb 2014
Its really simple....the anime shows a world that any gamer would enjoy. We as in gamers ,identify with the protagonist, I think most of the gamers would love to be in his place. Being in a game world with your little sister and new big boobs chick that must fall in love with you while you are battling for the position of a king of a country, thats something perfect, at least for me. Also the anime is funny and very interesting at the same time , so why wouldnt be popular?
Apr 25, 2014 7:27 AM

Oct 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
Orix said:

Is it too much to ask for a logical and somewhat well-told story?

If you're expecting every single anime you watch to follow that criteria, then yes and that's selfish.
CheesekaoApr 25, 2014 7:40 AM
Apr 25, 2014 7:43 AM

Sep 2013
Cheesekao said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Orix said:

If you're expecting every single anime you watch to follow that criteria, then yes and that's selfish.

I think his point is that there aren't enough well made stories in recent anime. Only otaku pandering stuff like this.
Apr 25, 2014 7:44 AM

Oct 2011
cupc said:
Cheesekao said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Orix said:

I think his point is that there aren't enough well made stories in recent anime. Only otaku pandering stuff like this.

He himself has watched otaku pandering shows and even liked them so I don't think that's simply the case. Hell, he hasn't dropped Kenzen Robo Daimidaler yet so I doubt it's simply a matter of him liking otaku pandering shows.
Apr 25, 2014 7:46 AM

Sep 2013
Cheesekao said:
cupc said:
Cheesekao said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Orix said:

He himself has watched otaku pandering shows and even liked them so I don't think that's simply the case.

Monster or Gits are very otaku favored shows indeed.
Apr 25, 2014 7:49 AM

Oct 2011
cupc said:
Cheesekao said:
cupc said:
Cheesekao said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Orix said:

He himself has watched otaku pandering shows and even liked them so I don't think that's simply the case.

How about you look through his anime list instead of just his favorites? He gave Kill la Kill and Panty and Stocking 8's and you sure as hell aren't gonna tell me those aren't otaku pandering.
CheesekaoApr 25, 2014 7:53 AM
Apr 25, 2014 7:53 AM

Sep 2013

Well, I can't really speak for him as I'm not him, but I'd say Kill la kill is still a much more respectable entry to the anime hall of fame, compared to this.
Apr 25, 2014 7:56 AM

Oct 2011
cupc said:

Well, I can't really speak for him as I'm not him, but I'd say Kill la kill is still a much more respectable entry to the anime hall of fame, compared to this.

Well opinions are nice aren't they? I respectfully disagree with you as I put Kill la Kill on the same level as Highschool DxD.
Apr 25, 2014 8:02 AM

Oct 2011
cupc said:

Hey look so did I.

My point is it seems that his problem isn't simply that he doesn't like otaku pandering shows as a whole. He dislikes a specific subset of that and I'm not gonna tell him he's wrong but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed by his condescension of people who likes that subset of shows. I dislike plenty of shows but I don't go around being a dick when expressing my dislike of them.
Apr 25, 2014 8:06 AM

Sep 2013
Cheesekao said:
cupc said:

Hey look so did I.

My point is it seems that his problem isn't simply that he doesn't like otaku pandering shows as a whole. He dislikes a specific subset of that and I'm not gonna tell him he's wrong but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed by his condescension of people who likes that subset of shows. I dislike plenty of shows but I don't go around being a dick when expressing my dislike of them.

I can see your point, but even if KlK has loads of fan service and I didn't like it, I still commend it for trying to be something else than a couple of nerds trapped in a a virtual world.
Apr 25, 2014 8:08 AM

Oct 2011
cupc said:
Cheesekao said:
cupc said:

Hey look so did I.

I can see your point, but even if KlK has loads of fan service and I didn't like it, I still commend it for trying to be something else than a couple of nerds trapped in a a virtual world.

You don't like the show? That's fine with me. At least you're being respectful about it and I appreciate that.
Apr 25, 2014 8:11 AM

Dec 2012
cupc said:
Cheesekao said:
cupc said:

Hey look so did I.

Weird logic. So everything that is not trying to be about virtual worlds is good and better by default than this anime?

Ehh...
Apr 25, 2014 8:13 AM
Dec 2012
Cheesekao said:
cupc said:

Hey look so did I.

I have a simple method of deciding if I like something - I watch/read a few chapters/episodes and if I like it I keep going, maybe even post on MAL to show that I liked it - if I don't like it (which happens rarely) then I drop it and leave it be, I don't go and shove the fact I don't like in the face of the people which like it (AKA I am not being a total asshole for just not liking something).

What is worse then an ass' - an ass' trying to justify being one.
Apr 25, 2014 8:19 AM

Sep 2013
Weird logic. So everything that is not trying to be about virtual worlds is good and better by default than this anime?

Ehh...

Yeah it's very weird isn't it. Virtual worlds should stay in video games and not infiltrate tv series in the form of escapism for young people.

gamer5 said:
Cheesekao said:
cupc said:

Hey look so did I.

I have a simple method of deciding if I like something - I watch/read a few chapters/episodes and if I like it I keep going, maybe even post on MAL to show that I liked it - if I don't like it (which happens rarely) then I drop it and leave it be, I don't go and shove the fact I don't like in the face of the people which like it (AKA I am not being a total asshole for just not liking something).

What is worse then an ass' - an ass' trying to justify being one.

That is very respectable. But then again, posting your own opinions is the sole reason forums exist.
Apr 25, 2014 8:22 AM

Dec 2012
Right, because entertainment as a whole doesn't serve as escapism for people, only a subset of it is bad, obviously.
Apr 25, 2014 8:23 AM

Oct 2011
cupc said:

That is very respectable. But then again, posting your own opinions is the sole reason forums exist.

It's more to do with simply not being a jerk when voicing your opinion.
Apr 25, 2014 8:23 AM

Mar 2012
cupc said:

Ehh...

Yeah it's very weird isn't it. Virtual worlds should stay in video games and not infiltrate tv series in the form of escapism for young people.
So virtual world is just an escapism? What about Digimon then?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 25, 2014 8:34 AM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
Right, because entertainment as a whole doesn't serve as escapism for people, only a subset of it is bad, obviously.

Yeah that's what I honestly think. Video games as a major plot point is just lame. I can't take shows like those seriously. Then when a relatively serious show comes out (see Knights of Sidonia) it gets a shit budget when No Game no Life gets Madhouse and a bank full of value.
Apr 25, 2014 8:36 AM
Aug 2011
People particularly like to eat gaming shit up take a look at Boring Horizon from the past season.
Throw in a loli, Madhouse, ride JoJo's coattails for a few seconds here and there and you've got yourself a big winner.
Apr 25, 2014 8:40 AM

Dec 2012
You are not even making any sense. It's not the show's fault that you can't take it seriously based on arbitrary reasons.

What the relation between Knights of Sidonia's budget and this anime?, they are not made by the same studio, or do you maybe think that each season has a budget, that gets divided between anime airing in it...
Apr 25, 2014 8:42 AM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
You are not even making any sense. It's not the show's fault that you can't take it seriously based on arbitrary reasons.

What the relation between Knights of Sidonia's budget and this anime?, they are not made by the same studio, or do you maybe think that each season has a budget, that gets divided between anime airing in it...

How so.

No, that's not what I think. But nevertheless it is slightly depressing.
Apr 25, 2014 8:43 AM
Dec 2012
cupc said:
tsudecimo said:

Yeah that's what I honestly think. Video games as a major plot point is just lame. I can't take shows like those seriously. Then when a relatively serious show comes out (see Knights of Sidonia) it gets a shit budget when No Game no Life gets Madhouse and a bank full of value.

No Game No Life doesn't have video games but games as the focus.

As for adapting stuff - it is the studio which asks authors for permission and often cooperation when wanting to adapt a show. So it has both have the allure of promising money - after all anime studios are companies to and have profit as one of the major things to consider - to get an anime studio to even consider an adaptation and at the same time the author must want the studio which approached him to make it an anime.
Apr 25, 2014 8:48 AM

Oct 2011
cupc said:
Video games as a major plot point is just lame.

Did you even watch the show? Rock Paper Scissors. Poker. Chess. How are those video games?
Apr 25, 2014 8:50 AM

Sep 2013
Cheesekao said:
cupc said:

Did you even watch the show? Rock Paper Scissors. Poker. Chess. How are those video games?

Well thanks for enlightening me now I love this show.
Apr 25, 2014 8:50 AM

Dec 2012
I don't think that's true. The publishers offers the job to the studio and it's up to them to accept, unless I'm mistaken.
Apr 25, 2014 8:54 AM

Oct 2011
cupc said:
Cheesekao said:
cupc said:

Well thanks for enlightening me now I love this show.

Sure thing bub.

tsudecimo said:
I don't think that's true. The publishers offers the job to the studio and it's up to them to accept, unless I'm mistaken.

It goes both ways but this anime is clearly a contract job by mediafactory.
Apr 25, 2014 8:59 AM
Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:

The one with the Intellectual Property of the source material, which is usually the author of said material, decides about that.
Apr 25, 2014 9:34 AM
Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:

They you should love this show, it has been completely logical and the story has been well told up until this point. The latter is true because after 2 episodes we have had a complete world system and rules explained several times, and the former because what Sora did in the game followed logically from the rules.

You are letting the colors and the antics on the stage distract you from what has been going on behind the scenes.
Apr 25, 2014 10:40 AM

Apr 2009
Cheesekao said:
cupc said:
Cheesekao said:
cupc said:
Cheesekao said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Orix said:

How about you look through his anime list instead of just his favorites? He gave Kill la Kill and Panty and Stocking 8's and you sure as hell aren't gonna tell me those aren't otaku pandering.

Because a parody of Western Saturday Morning cartoons and a show that mixes Go Nagai with classic 80s Shounen elements are so standard and otaku pandering.
Also, they do not tell me I am awesome just for liking games and can capture naked chicks with big boobs with my NEET imouto.. and yes, I do think a certain subset of the industry is worse in general because it has - unlike KlK or PSG - NO vision behind "appeal to gamer fantasies to sell as much as possible". This product (I won't call it art cause this implies people actually thought about it when creating it) is so obviously written to squeeze money out of gamers who *really* need to get their ego striked and it is baffling why so many people fall for it without even questioning it (nice job ignoring that about my initial post, btw).
You are right, though. I should regrade everything, it has been years since I did that and many scores are way too nice.

Takuan_Soho said:
Nidhoeggr said:

They you should love this show, it has been completely logical and the story has been well told up until this point. The latter is true because after 2 episodes we have had a complete world system and rules explained several times, and the former because what Sora did in the game followed logically from the rules.

You are letting the colors and the antics on the stage distract you from what has been going on behind the scenes.

Do not worry, it was not because of the colors. I was too busy being annoyed by unneccessary bath scenes, tit groping, speeches that glorify otakus and other stuff to notice that.
Apr 25, 2014 10:52 AM
Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Do not worry, it was not because of the colors. I was too busy being annoyed by unneccessary bath scenes, tit groping, speeches that glorify otakus and other stuff to notice that.

So, in short, you are complaining that a show tagged as etchi does indeed have etchi scenes....

Do you also complain when you buy an apple that it is an apple? You sound like that type of person.
Apr 25, 2014 10:54 AM

Apr 2009
Not really, but the overall presentation of it was really obnoxious and way too in your face. The entire show's approach is just way too... cheap and obviously chumming up for my tastes.
NidhoeggrApr 25, 2014 11:00 AM
Apr 25, 2014 11:09 AM
Dec 2012
Well you have your tastes so ...

But since the anime is amongst the top 200 overall series on MAL

No Game No Life
Statistics
Score: 8.441 (scored by 11318 users)
Ranked: #126
Popularity: #462
Members: 51,139
Favorites: 393

And amongst the top 100 TV series on the MAL list- it is definitely more inside NGNL then you see in it - or think you see in it. So please go away and leave us to enjoy by most opinions very good, great or epic series.
Apr 25, 2014 11:14 AM

Apr 2009
Yeah, I guess I will leave you and your argumentum ad populum alone for now.
Apr 25, 2014 12:15 PM

Apr 2013
gamer5 said:
And amongst the top 100 TV series on the MAL list- it is definitely more inside NGNL then you see in it - or think you see in it. So please go away and leave us to enjoy by most opinions very good, great or epic series.
That is not a valid argument and you know it, I can name at least 5 anime off the top of my head that absolutely do not deserve to be in a similar situation.
Apr 25, 2014 12:20 PM
Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Not really, but the overall presentation of it was really obnoxious and way too in your face. The entire show's approach is just way too... cheap and obviously chumming up for my tastes.

See, here I disagree, both of the scenes you mentioned actually had both humor and a point.

The breasts grabbing was funny both with Sora's face and with Steph-o-vision, but it also made the point quite vividly of how absolute Rule 8 was and how the world warps to ensure that the rule was followed (obvious that this was the author's intent because they showed Sora's absolutely Otaku contorted face, while showing how Step-o-vision even made that look enticing).

The shower scene was the same way, first the whole idea of "Mr Steam" was funny, but it also completely and utterly killed the incest ship for this animation. I preferred that a whole heck of a lot more than Mahouka's continual waving of the flag.

Of course both were also fanservice, but I don't have an issue with fanservice as long as there is some point to it. In this show case it generally does, either through straight humor (Shiro using her elbow), or a bit of foreshadowing (getting Steph thinking about the phone), or to make a point (pointed out above).

But hey tastes differ, there are plenty of shows I don't match my taste. I just stop watching them. But again one cannot argue matters of taste. One can only think that the other person has none.
Apr 25, 2014 12:22 PM
Oct 2012
PWJP said:
That is not a valid argument and you know it, I can name at least 5 anime off the top of my head that absolutely do not deserve to be in a similar situation.

Speaking of invalid arguments. Out of curiosity how would you "prove" that. One can think that, but I would like to see you try to prove it.
Apr 25, 2014 4:28 PM

Oct 2011
Nidhoeggr said:

Because a parody of Western Saturday Morning cartoons and a show that mixes Go Nagai with classic 80s Shounen elements are so standard and otaku pandering.

Before I properly answer your question, I'd like to know what your definition of 'otaku' is. Also, those 2 shows are also obnoxious and in your face with the fanservice, something which you oh so hate and such an approach is 'cheap' and obviously chumming up to pervert's dicks.Maybe I should say Kill la Kill and PSG sure as hell are shows that pander towards sexually depraved losers instead.

Nidhoeggr said:

Also, they do not tell me I am awesome just for liking games and can capture naked chicks with big boobs with my NEET imouto.. and yes, I do think a certain subset of the industry is worse in general because it has - unlike KlK or PSG - NO vision behind "appeal to gamer fantasies to sell as much as possible". This product (I won't call it art cause this implies people actually thought about it when creating it) is so obviously written to squeeze money out of gamers who *really* need to get their ego striked and it is baffling why so many people fall for it without even questioning it (nice job ignoring that about my initial post, btw).
You are right, though. I should regrade everything, it has been years since I did that and many scores are way too nice.

All I hear is "I'm gonna assume things that I have no solid proof of!" How about you make a survey asking people if the only reason they enjoy this show is because "muh games" or "Hey, this show is actually fun on it's own merits". Unless you can do that, have a decent sample size and the majority of the results are "muh games", all you're saying is pure conjecture. I sure as hell don't feel my ego being stroked. This show is stupid and fun like FLCL and that's all I think of it.
CheesekaoApr 25, 2014 4:53 PM
Apr 25, 2014 7:00 PM

Mar 2008
But FLCL wasn't all that stupid, not that I'd want to argue the point.
May 2, 2014 1:26 AM
May 2014
From my point of view, it's just especially popular here....
Okay, I mean, seen from some other forums, it just ranks in the middle place.

And actually the first volume of NGNL doesn't sell well. ( seriously, the probability of a second season is really low).

Based on the accumulated sales points, its final predicted sales ranks at 12th place ( 28 in total of this season).
---------------------------------
source: if you can type in Japanese, you can check it in this site:
http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/index_news.cgi
HisomiMay 2, 2014 3:08 AM
May 2, 2014 12:49 PM

Jun 2012
Pretty mediocre show so far, and definitely doesn't deserve an 8.50 rating in my opinion. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter anyway.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

622 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 21, 5:21 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2014

294 by FarCritical »»
Apr 19, 11:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.