Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 9, 2014 11:35 PM

Jul 2013
Obviously people are going to have characters that they like or dislike. But I never quite understood all of the hate Kamijou Touma gets. I for one like his character a lot. He is one of my favorite MCs. I just want to know why people around here dislike him so much.

Edit: The MC from A Certain Magical Index, just in case, for those who don't remember or may not know.

----------------------------------------------
Mod Note:

The thread was bumped multiple times and the most recent posts did not add anything meaningful to the discussion, but rather contained many violations such as trolling and abuse.

In accordance with the board specific rules please remember to follow the Site Guidelines as well to further prevent violations.
dipItFooJan 7, 2021 8:24 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 9, 2014 11:36 PM

Sep 2008
His solution to everything is to punch it.
Apr 9, 2014 11:36 PM

Jan 2010
Justice speeches and punches little girls or something.
Apr 9, 2014 11:37 PM
Feb 2014
coz he is a sexist(most of his victims are women). joking :)
Apr 9, 2014 11:38 PM

Jan 2013
Who?
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 9, 2014 11:41 PM

Aug 2011
Because he punches bitches, and violence against women is wrong because equality or some shit.
Apr 9, 2014 11:42 PM

Jun 2007
One of the best examples of a vapid plot-armored author's self-insert ever. Best in this case is not a positive thing.
TallonKarrde23Apr 9, 2014 11:48 PM
Apr 9, 2014 11:45 PM

Jul 2013
bash107 said:
coz he is a sexist(most of his victims are women). joking :)

He can't help it. Women are evil :)
Apr 9, 2014 11:47 PM
Nov 2008
i started to dislike him after they forcibly removed his personality early on.
Apr 9, 2014 11:48 PM

Dec 2013
*wishing posters would include the anime title with character references, for those of us with sub par memories*
Apr 9, 2014 11:51 PM

Nov 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
One of the best examples of a vapid plot-armored author's self-insert ever. Best in this case is not a positive thing.

Not because he stole your Biribiri's heart?
Apr 9, 2014 11:51 PM

Jul 2013
Proust said:
*wishing posters would include the anime title with character references, for those of us with sub par memories*

Sorry about that. I edited it a little bit.
Apr 9, 2014 11:53 PM

Jun 2007
MotRin said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Nope, even before I gave a shit about her (I actually disliked her originally, her character is written terribly in Index, she has absolutely no personality aside being a generic tsundere even avoided Railgun originally and only ended up giving it a shot for Uiharu) I hated him because he's one of the most pathetically written characters in recent memory.
Apr 9, 2014 11:53 PM

Jul 2013
MotRin said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

I approve as a Touma x Mikoto shipper.
Apr 9, 2014 11:56 PM

Feb 2013
And yet I'm sure he'll still beat Makoto Itou in any popularity contest.
Apr 9, 2014 11:58 PM

Mar 2013
mitch3315 said:
Because he punches bitches, and violence against women is wrong because equality or some shit.

It's ironic because he's a moralfag
Apr 10, 2014 12:01 AM

Nov 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:

Nope, even before I gave a shit about her (I actually disliked her originally, her character is written terribly in Index, she has absolutely no personality aside being a generic tsundere even avoided Railgun originally and only ended up giving it a shot for Uiharu) I hated him because he's one of the most pathetically written characters in recent memory.

So Biribiri ntr'd you from Uiharu :">
Lefty112 said:

I do not approve! I think Biribiri deserves better than him.
I actually only watched Index because I wanted to gain background information before going into Railgun
Apr 10, 2014 12:06 AM
Feb 2014
poor Touma :( doesn't deserve all the hate
Apr 10, 2014 12:07 AM

Mar 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:

It's ok, he's just a side character anyways. The real MC of raildex is academy city. I mean it has to be, right? It's far deeper, more complex and interesting than any of the so-called "leads".
Apr 10, 2014 12:11 AM

Jul 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:

I've always considered someone like Kirito as a self-insert type of character. I never really considered Touma as such. He's the hero who saves the day, of course there is going to be some plot armor, a majority of MCs have it. I wouldn't really consider that a reason to hate him though.Do you dislike a majority of shounen MCs as well?
Apr 10, 2014 12:13 AM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: moved from general Anime Discussion.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 10, 2014 12:14 AM

Jan 2013
Ntad said:

Dude, Lord Makoto is a legend.
No one can come close to his orgasmic brilliance and sincerity.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 10, 2014 12:20 AM

Nov 2008
skyzblue said:
Ntad said:

Dude, Lord Makoto is a legend.
No one can come close to his orgasmic brilliance and sincerity.

He can't even hold a candle for Kujou, let alone Touma.
Why is this moved into Railgun? It clearly belongs to Index section.
Apr 10, 2014 11:09 AM

Aug 2009
Why they hate him?Because he isnt a female character.

Mikoto does the same exact stuff he does,saving people from trouble, and gets the love because...she is a girl...there isnt anything else.

She cares about her friends?Touma does too.
Has a special ability?Touma does too.
Touma has plot armor?She does too.
Intelligent?If Touma was stupid he wouldnt be alive.
Calculating?Not so much according to the Sisters arc.

Why the hell is she overliked but Touma is hated?Because he is a male character.

Heredity said:
i started to dislike him after they forcibly removed his personality early on.
How was his personality removed?He is the same as before the memory loss...

Mod Edit: unnecessary personal provocation removed.
ThangLongApr 10, 2014 1:22 PM
Apr 10, 2014 11:15 AM

Dec 2012
Because he barely has any personality. He spouts justice crap like no tomorrow, and doesn't think for a minute about the situation he is in, he takes stuff at face value. Helps anyone who needs help, without knowing for sure, if what he is helping are good or bad. Says the same dull speech before punching someone. His power is so boring. The amnesia didn't affect his character and made his whitefaggness an inherent quality in him, etc.

The only thing I like about him is his catch phrase.
tsudecimoApr 10, 2014 11:20 AM
Apr 10, 2014 11:19 AM

Jan 2013
He is a lot like he was pre amnesia, but I honestly thought he was funnier and had a bit more charm before he lost his memory.

Afterwards he wasn't even a sarcastic anus anymore.
Apr 10, 2014 11:25 AM

Aug 2009
tsudecimo said:
Because he barely has any personality. He spouts justice crap like no tomorrow, and doesn't think for a minute about the situation he is in, he takes stuff at face value. Helps anyone who needs help, without knowing for sure, if what he is helping are good or bad. Says the same dull speech before punching someone. His power is so boring. The amnesia didn't affect his character and made his whitefaggness an inherent quality in him, etc.

Then he does have a personality, he is a naive man that wants to help those that are in unreasonable situations just like he was before coming to Academy City.
Except the justice crap he is like Misaka then.Or better example,with the justice stuff, Araragi.
And powers
ssjokgApr 10, 2014 11:38 AM
Apr 10, 2014 11:33 AM

Dec 2012
Lefty112 said:
MotRin said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Do they ever end up together?

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I continued watching Index for a while because of the romance hints/teases. It's kinda of bad habit I have..
Apr 10, 2014 11:38 AM

Aug 2009
tsudecimo said:
Lefty112 said:
MotRin said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Do they ever end up together?

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I continued watching Index for a while because of the romance hints/teases. It's kinda of bad habit I have..

But the romance(Misaka,Itsuwa or Index) is always a one sided thing.
Apr 10, 2014 11:44 AM

Nov 2008
ssjokg said:
tsudecimo said:

Then he does have a personality, he is a naive man that wants to help those that are in unreasonable situations just like he was before coming to Academy City.
Except the justice crap he is like Misaka then.Or better example,with the justice stuff, Araragi.
And powers

His power is not as spectacular as Biribiri. Also Biribiri's sister arc is better than anything Touma has so far.
Apr 10, 2014 12:19 PM

Apr 2014
Accelerator > Touma
nuff said
Apr 10, 2014 1:25 PM

Dec 2012
Thread Cleaned:

Off-topic personal argument removed.
Apr 24, 2014 10:57 PM

Oct 2013
fst said:
mitch3315 said:

I would like to know how that is ironic? Equality doesn't mean every bitch(every tsundere minus steins gate) gets to treat the MC that they love so much like total shit and get away with it. Because if a guy does anything to stop from being a talking punching bag he is evil. Touma is my favorite MC because of the sole reason he doesn't care about gender if he feels he needs to protect himself/others.

Yes he has an inhuman sense of justice. But justice is equal and fair not gender biased. Not ironic

Apr 25, 2014 3:28 AM

Aug 2009
bestpsychosean said:
fst said:
mitch3315 said:

I would like to know how that is ironic? Equality doesn't mean every bitch(every tsundere minus steins gate) gets to treat the MC that they love so much like total shit and get away with it. Because if a guy does anything to stop from being a talking punching bag he is evil. Touma is my favorite MC because of the sole reason he doesn't care about gender if he feels he needs to protect himself/others.

Yes he has an inhuman sense of justice. But justice is equal and fair not gender biased. Not ironic
Actually he doesnt have a sense of justice.He just doesnt want to see people being in unreasonably bad situations, with no one helping them,since he used to be in such situations himself.He will say anything he has in order to "prove" the antagonist wrong.That is confirmed by Touma himself.
Apr 30, 2014 6:23 PM
Jan 2014
I actually like him. It's the other characters that bring the show, and consequently him, down in Index. But, I'm only on episode 8, so that could change.
May 4, 2014 5:45 AM

Jul 2013
well, wait for index season 4 or 5, when they finally animate the volume New Testament 9.
this single volume made him to one of the best MC i have seen.
i am serious.

if you are wondering why, you can just go ahead and read it, you only need to know that othnius is a magic god, after creating the spear of gungnir she can destroy and recreate the world as many times as she wants

http://baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index:NT_Volume9

if this gets animated, i think all the hate towards him will mostly disappear.
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
May 4, 2014 6:08 AM

Aug 2009
Better put that in spoiler tags.

No chance in hell.

Touma has every single trait Misaka has(except from being a tsundere) yet he gets all the hate because...he is male I guess?
May 4, 2014 6:43 AM

Dec 2012
Urek said:
well, wait for index season 4 or 5, when they finally animate the volume New Testament 9.
i am serious.

Can you mention in a spoiler tag briefly why you think so? like stating an interesting development he went through or something.
May 4, 2014 6:44 AM

Jan 2013
Jealousy.
May 4, 2014 6:51 AM

Apr 2013
tsudecimo said:
Urek said:
i am serious.

Can you mention in a spoiler tag briefly why you think so? like stating an interesting development he went through or something.
an egomaniac and a fool

May 4, 2014 8:33 AM

Dec 2012
Emnay said:
tsudecimo said:
Urek said:
i am serious.

That does sound interesting actually. I would definitely watch/read if it's get adapted into anime/manga.
May 7, 2014 6:02 PM

Oct 2012
MotRin said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Lol your comment kinda remind me of those anime that has a fan group of some girl xD.
Shonen!
May 7, 2014 6:03 PM

Oct 2012
Lefty112 said:
Obviously people are going to have characters that they like or dislike. But I never quite understood all of the hate Kamijou Touma gets. I for one like his character a lot. He is one of my favorite MCs. I just want to know why people around here dislike him so much.

Edit: The MC from A Certain Magical Index, just in case, for those who don't remember or may not know.

Wow didn't know this until now , i personally have no problem with him .But yeah i do kind of like his character .
Shonen!
May 7, 2014 6:06 PM

Sep 2012
Because he's super bland aside from his ability to punch bitches despite being a overkill moralfag.

He's one of the main reasons that Railgun is so so so so so so much better than Index is.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
May 7, 2014 10:42 PM

Aug 2009
Korrvo said:
Because he's super bland aside from his ability to punch bitches despite being a overkill moralfag.

He's one of the main reasons that Railgun is so so so so so so much better than Index is.
again, he isnt any different from Misaka in his actions or motives.So how is he blant or worse?
May 7, 2014 10:59 PM

Sep 2012
ssjokg said:
Korrvo said:

again, he isnt any different from Misaka in his actions or motives.So how is he blant or worse?
Because she's a girl and I have a dick.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
May 7, 2014 11:00 PM

Aug 2009
Korrvo said:
ssjokg said:
Korrvo said:

Because she's a girl and I have a dick.
I can accept that.
May 8, 2014 3:44 AM

Aug 2013
Well it's understandable for anime-only viewers, if i didn't read the novels maybe i would have nothing but negative opinions on him as well.

But after reading them until the latest volume, damn... i have nothing but a huge respect for him. Truly a man among men
May 8, 2014 9:23 AM

Aug 2009
Hakuryuukou said:
Well it's understandable for anime-only viewers, if i didn't read the novels maybe i would have nothing but negative opinions on him as well.

But after reading them until the latest volume, damn... i have nothing but a huge respect for him. Truly a man among men

I still dont see the reason.

Misaka even has inconsistencies as a character and an even stronger "plot armor" thanks to filler god devil Nagai.
May 8, 2014 8:40 PM

Aug 2013
ssjokg said:

I still dont see the reason.

Misaka even has inconsistencies as a character and an even stronger "plot armor" thanks to filler god devil Nagai.

Back then when i still only watched the anime, i saw Touma as nothing more than a stubborn guy who was always preaching about justice and morals to his enemies.... i wouldn't say it's a bad thing but i quickly lost interest as the plot progressed with no serious consequences on him and everything around him for 2 seasons(excluding the 1st arc here).

Well, the foreshadowing of world war at the end of Index 2 was what makes me to read the novels.

And yes i agree with you about Misaka. She also has a fucking plot armor yet the rabid fans always denied/overlooked this fact. That space opera scene on Silent Party arc is more than enough to prove it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you like Kuroko’s horniness, or do you think it’s annoying?

SwagsOnB - Oct 2, 2023

31 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Do you like Toaru Kagaku no Railgun?

SpinStudios - Oct 25, 2021

18 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Proselyt - Jan 29, 2010

164 by TheAncientOne »»
Feb 25, 9:40 AM

» Why is there no CGDCT on this show?

Sagepool - Nov 30, 2023

14 by FZREMAKE »»
Dec 1, 2023 3:39 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Mar 19, 2010

372 by WELLERM »»
Nov 29, 2023 4:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.