Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people watch anime they consider "bad"?

New
Apr 8, 2014 12:37 PM

May 2013
So, i usually end up dropping a series if i don't like it. I'll watch at most 7-8~ of a series in hopes that it'll redeem itself, in my eyes anyways. What I've seen, though, is that people finish an entire series, sometimes a 2-cour with 26 episodes, to rate it a 2 or 3. Why do people put themselves through such misery if they think a show is that bad? I never understood that. Why invest time in something that you don't enjoy? I mean, if it's that bad for you already, then there's a very likely chance you won't like the way it ends either. I never really understood it.
"A samurai doesn't need a reason to take action. If something needs saving, all you have to do is grab your sword"-Sakata Gintoki
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 8, 2014 12:40 PM

Apr 2013
I continue to read Fairy Tail even though I think it's shit.

I still gave it an 8/10 because it's fun to read.

So for shows I truly hated like Pupa and Diabolik lovers, I just wanted to see if it got any better (or worse).
Apr 8, 2014 12:40 PM

Jan 2013
Thinking something is shit ≠ not enjoying it.
Apr 8, 2014 12:41 PM

Nov 2011
So they can judge it.
Apr 8, 2014 12:42 PM

Jan 2013
Malgraph gives you a cute little achievement for not dropping anime

You need to experience a few bad ones so that you can appreciate the good ones even more.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Sep 2011
BlackSabotage said:
So they can judge it.

This, and to increase your power level

I don't drop shows, how else am I going to have the most elite taste and bragging rights if I can't even complete something that might be "bad" such as [insert your favorite show here] <- 'cause that shit was horrible

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Nov 2010
Completionism and because even if you rate it somewhat low, that doesn't mean you don't enjoy it. And of course if you watch a bad show and then a good one, you enjoy it more.

Mar 2012
Because some people don't want to drop that many series.
Apr 8, 2014 12:43 PM
Dec 2012
If show is bad that doesn't mean that anime isn't enjoyable, eve if it is, it could be so bad and retarded, that you simply enjoy how stupid it is.
Apr 8, 2014 12:44 PM

Apr 2013
Why not? It's not your time.
an egomaniac and a fool

Apr 8, 2014 12:45 PM

Jan 2014
skyzblue said:

You need to experience a few bad ones so that you can appreciate the good ones even more.

Yeah dude you have to finish at least 4000 anime to get that illusive Platinum Trophy. No lie.
Apr 8, 2014 12:46 PM

Feb 2013
Because we don't want to drop any anime, even if we don't like it.
It's our pride, don't mess with it.
Apr 8, 2014 12:47 PM

Nov 2008
skyzblue said:

Pretty much this. I mix in bad ones in between good ones to not run out of good ones too quickly.
Apr 8, 2014 12:48 PM

May 2013
Yhuuro said:
skyzblue said:

Yeah dude you have to finish at least 4000 anime to get that illusive Platinum Trophy. No lie.

How much for a bronze, if there is one?
"A samurai doesn't need a reason to take action. If something needs saving, all you have to do is grab your sword"-Sakata Gintoki
Apr 8, 2014 12:49 PM

Jul 2013
I thought Shinsekai Yori was absolutely terrible, but continued watching it because I thought it would get better. It didn't.
Apr 8, 2014 12:49 PM

Aug 2013
They want to be able to heavily critique it and some people just do it for humour.
Apr 8, 2014 12:50 PM

Mar 2014
Soren333 said:
I thought Shinsekai Yori was absolutely terrible, but continued watching it because I thought it would get better. It didn't.

You are the devil.
Apr 8, 2014 12:52 PM

Jun 2011
skyzblue said:

I still have that achievement. Awesome~

Jul 2013
pLaguE_ said:
Soren333 said:

You are the devil.

Indeed.

Jun 2009
bad things can be entertaining

Strike Witches for instance.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2014 12:54 PM

Dec 2013
I should probably watch some bad shit to appreciate the good stuff more ... but theres sooo much stuff that actually looks good that i still need to get on.
Damn you, anime.
Apr 8, 2014 12:54 PM

Jan 2014
I like watching fail videos and things crashing and stuff... I like building LEGO just to demolish it... and I like to watch anime become a trainwreck.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2014 12:55 PM
Nov 2013
InfernCup said:
Apr 8, 2014 12:55 PM

Jan 2014
KingKongShrest said:
Yhuuro said:
skyzblue said:

1200 but you only qualify if you watched at least the tortured abominations that are called Pupa, Mars of Destruction, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and Skelter Heaven.
Apr 8, 2014 1:03 PM
Sep 2013
I dunno, maybe, just maybe, a bad show can still be entertaining.
Apr 8, 2014 1:04 PM

Feb 2014
skyzblue said:

Senpai with words of knowledge!
Apr 8, 2014 1:05 PM

Mar 2008
Mullegun said:
skyzblue said:

Now you're just being MALicious.
Apr 8, 2014 1:07 PM

Jan 2013
Ckan said:
Mullegun said:
skyzblue said:

Now you're just being MALicious.

That was disMAL
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 8, 2014 1:07 PM

May 2013
InfernCup said:

But if you enjoy it, then it's not bad for you. It has a redeeming quality, which is that you enjoy it. Example, if you absolutely hate dogs, you're not going to enjoy playing/being with them. What you're saying is something along the lines of that you may hate it when cats scratches you but you still find them cute and want to play with them. I have little to no idea of what i just said, but it sort of makes sense. Just a little.
Apr 8, 2014 1:14 PM

Jan 2013
KingKongShrest said:
InfernCup said:

But if you enjoy it, then it's not bad for you. It has a redeeming quality, which is that you enjoy it. Example, if you absolutely hate dogs, you're not going to enjoy playing/being with them. What you're saying is something along the lines of that you may hate it when cats scratches you but you still find them cute and want to play with them. I have little to no idea of what i just said, but it sort of makes sense. Just a little.

Hating something is different than thinking it's bad. I think Nisekoi is bad for example but I don't hate it. I actually enjoy watching/reading it but I still think it's bad.

My enjoyment is not indicative of what I consider to be good or bad.
Apr 8, 2014 1:15 PM

Jan 2014
Now I'm confused

I thought most people said that they rated things based on enjoyment, at least that's what I remember from other threads. Now everyone is saying that low rated anime are enjoyable.
Apr 8, 2014 1:16 PM

Feb 2014
With the OT in mind. It can also be that people watch an anime not knowing that is bad. After a couple of episodes people feel the need to complete it because they already invested their time in it? I can see some people act like this.
Apr 8, 2014 1:21 PM

Sep 2012
KingKongShrest said:
InfernCup said:

^What you said about cats and dogs doesn't make sense.Look, I am going to make even more sense
"You know maturbation?If you do it you will feel good.If you do it more you will feel even better.But just because it feels good doesn't mean doing it too much is good for your health."
Same goes for some anime.Just because they are enjoyable to some extent doesn't mean they are good.I for example think MADOKA is one of worst anime ever made but I still enjoy it.
gombo said:
Now I'm confused

I thought most people said that they rated things based on enjoyment, at least that's what I remember from other threads. Now everyone is saying that low rated anime are enjoyable.

Low rated anime are enjoyable but high rated anime are even more enjoyable for them.
Apr 8, 2014 1:21 PM

Jun 2011
Yhuuro said:
KingKongShrest said:
Yhuuro said:
skyzblue said:

1200 but you only qualify if you watched at least the tortured abominations that are called Pupa, Mars of Destruction, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and Skelter Heaven.

I've seen all of those but Bobobo-bo-bo-bobo, though I have read a bit of the manga and it's rather random and bizarre.

Apr 8, 2014 1:25 PM

Apr 2012
There's an arbitrary threshold of shittiness that a series has to surpass for me to drop it. >_> Some recent examples: Coppelion, Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil, Infinite Stratos Season 2. Sometimes I just finish the series that became terrible midway through just for the sake of completing it.

Apr 8, 2014 1:26 PM

May 2010
cause im a masochist and enjoy watching shitty anime just to see how bad it can get until the end.

no..sometimes shows arent BAD from the beginning.
Apr 8, 2014 1:27 PM

Jun 2013
Kerozinn said:
cause im a masochist and enjoy watching shitty anime just to see how bad it can get until the end.

Hahaha this. What would you consider a bad anime?
Apr 8, 2014 1:30 PM
Dec 2013
Ulquiorra1923 said:
Because we don't want to drop any anime, even if we don't like it.
It's our pride, don't mess with it.

This.
I never dropped one until now and won't do it in the future.
If I don't like a show I'll just slowly watch it but don't drop it.
Apr 8, 2014 1:37 PM

Dec 2013
MotRin said:
skyzblue said:

Pretty much this. I mix in bad ones in between good ones to not run out of good ones too quickly.

Same here. I'd guess the great shows are often marathoned, which I've done as well, but now I prefer to slowly savor them like some rich delicacy--mushishi.
Apr 8, 2014 1:47 PM

May 2010
Evatallica said:
Kerozinn said:

Hahaha this. What would you consider a bad anime?

pretty much everything i dropped with a few exceptions (some shows are just not for me ..Sekaiichi Hatsukoi for example..its not bad but its YAOI ^^)

its very subjective. many 4-5/10 shows that i have seen i consider bad to very bad (i only rate 4-10 on watched anime)

i have 81.6% compatibility with you and pretty much liked every anime of your favs :)
Apr 8, 2014 1:48 PM
Nov 2013
KingKongShrest said:
InfernCup said:

Wrong. Why do I need to hate? You can enjoy watching something bad, nothing wrong with that. I've watched all the twilight Saga and all the Harry Potter movies. Honestly, they're crap, I enjoyed. I watch so many crap in the TV, so many shitty movies, I read so many horrible books, I play so many awful games... The list is big. Still, I hate nothing. Enjoyment isn't always related to quality btw.
Apr 8, 2014 1:49 PM

Sep 2013
I have always had an appreciation for the very worst in art and entertainment. There are plenty of mediocre productions around; they are merely bad enough to be uninteresting. I avoid such things, and if I find myself listening to or watching a radio or television series (including, but not limited to, anime) that I would put into this category, I drop it unless I have reason to think that it might improve. On MAL, this would be a score of 4 - simply bad, but not spectacularly bad. I haven't yet watched an anime that I would put in this category, but I know they are out there. For me, this is the least desirable and least memorable sort of show and an utter waste of time.

However, art and entertainment productions can be much worse than the ones I describe above, and this is where they can become a lot of fun. Something that is so horribly botched as to be memorable can be great fun to watch; there are few greater pleasures for me than watching something that is impressively terrible and so bad that it is hilarious. On MAL, I give anime in this category scores of 1 or 2 because they are truly worse than the bad-but-boring, mediocre stuff that I avoid. True masterpieces of awfulness are quite rare, and I am overjoyed when I find one. Discovering Mars of Destruction gave me a reason to celebrate; I seem to discover something this bad only once in a great while. I will remember Mars until the day I die, but I have forgotten even the names of most of the bad-but-boring movies, radio shows, and television shows that I have encountered in the past.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Apr 8, 2014 1:50 PM

Jan 2014
KingKongShrest said:
I have little to no idea of what i just said, but it sort of makes sense. Just a little.

Nah, that made sense. Your saying that for someone to like a show it's redeeming value is that you like it.

I usually finish bad shows cause some reviews are deceiving *cough* Yahari Ore no... *cough*. Also I think I have ADD, so its really hard not to finish.
Red_Keys said:
Basically I'm MAL's Jesus. I watch shitty shows for your sins.

Apr 8, 2014 1:50 PM

Sep 2012
People's reasonings for defining something as bad really depend on how they correlate badness, objective quality, and enjoyment together.

You'll have a lot of people around here refer to shows as "fun and enjoyable, but not good" and others say "it was so bad, I couldn't watch it". People have already said that badness ≠ enjoyment, which is generally true, though honestly, if something is providing meaningful entertainment for me, I have a hard time calling it bad. Actually, I'd go as far as to say those kind of comments are usually an injustice for the show, considering after all that the anime medium is meant to entertain people.

I think certain people just try to correlate anime with "works of art" a bit too often, which is one of the reasons I refer to a lot of people on this board as a pseudo-critic. (The other being that they just tend to play mocking bird for other people and don't think for themselves.)

For me, the only thing I can think of that I enjoyed yet referred to as bad was SAO's second half, and that's because the badness actually made it enjoyable as unintentional comedy. Everything else that I referred to as bad I either dropped, didn't think it was bad at the time (like mirai nikki), completed for the sake of completing (which I rarely do anymore), or watched simply for the sake of trying to figure out what is up and discuss with others.

I imagine those reasons are some of the same reasoning that other people tend to use for watching "bad" shows.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 8, 2014 1:51 PM

Jul 2013
Bashing shows is more fun than enjoying them.
-ultima
Apr 8, 2014 2:05 PM

Jan 2008
One must suffer in order to reach total enlightenment.
Apr 8, 2014 2:07 PM

Jun 2011
Imperial_Thunder said:
One must suffer in order to reach total enlightenment.

Only then will you attain salvation.

Apr 8, 2014 2:24 PM

Jan 2014
Korrvo said:
People's reasonings for defining something as bad really depend on how they correlate badness, objective quality, and enjoyment together.

You'll have a lot of people around here refer to shows as "fun and enjoyable, but not good" and others say "it was so bad, I couldn't watch it". People have already said that badness ≠ enjoyment, which is generally true, though honestly, if something is providing meaningful entertainment for me, I have a hard time calling it bad. Actually, I'd go as far as to say those kind of comments are usually an injustice for the show, considering after all that the anime medium is meant to entertain people.

I think certain people just try to correlate anime with "works of art" a bit too often, which is one of the reasons I refer to a lot of people on this board as a pseudo-critic.

I agreed with some of this, but I think that Anime is just as much "art" as it is entertainment. So it should be considered in both accounts. So if people want to say that it doesn't achieve in the "art" department they have a right to. When I think of the quality (bad or good) of the show I think of it more subjectively, separating it from my enjoyment, so others can see if they will enjoy it for themselves.
Red_Keys said:
Basically I'm MAL's Jesus. I watch shitty shows for your sins.

Apr 8, 2014 2:31 PM

Sep 2012
^To clarify a bit, I did say "a bit too often." There are some anime out there are referred to as "works of art" and rightfully so, but it's a mistake for people to set those anime as the "quality standard" to decide whether or not something is good or not.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 8, 2014 3:25 PM

Dec 2013
SAO was fun to make fun of with friends.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 8 hours ago

13 by redorzo »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 51 minutes ago

8 by Spunkert »»
5 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

30 by SgtBateMan »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 1 hour ago

9 by Dumb »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

160 by Saiunknown »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.