Forum Settings
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 12, 2014 10:55 AM
Dec 2013
one more month left. i am DYING to know what shuzo has in store for us!
Apr 13, 2014 2:29 PM

Sep 2011
The mangaka did a good job of using only art to show all that, quite a good chapter.

Actually I think it's better this way, you know the mangaka showed us some very dark and twisted stuff but then showed us a way out, a solution and growth of the characters from their younger angsty experiences. If it just kept going in a downward spiral that would just be the author using it for his own vicarious thrill but instead the author is showing growth.
inzarathaApr 13, 2014 2:33 PM
Apr 13, 2014 5:30 PM

Oct 2007
lovely chapter, can't wait to see how this ends
Apr 13, 2014 9:16 PM

Sep 2011
atomic_dawg said:
OK... I think I get it...

In chapter 55, Kasuga is in class and they're discussing The Flowers of Evil. The professor is focusing on the poem "Her Hair". He says the poem was composed for Jeanne Duval. He goes on to say that Baudelaire wrote many poems dedicated to her.

Toward the end of chapter 55, Kasuga is in his apartment. He opens up a notebook and it's blank. Tokiwa shows up and asks him about the notebook. Kasuga says, "I haven't written anything in it, yet." Tokiwa responds, "What are you going to write?" Kasuga says, "I don't know yet.". Tokiwa spends the night, they make love and fall asleep. This leads right into chapter 56...

In chapter 56...

What do you guys/girls think?

Very good! Now I don't have to explain. >:)
Apr 15, 2014 2:04 AM

Dec 2012
The whole chapter was a dream. The ending showed Kasuga waking up after his first night with Tokiwa. Very powerful symbolism though.
Apr 16, 2014 3:54 AM

Jun 2009
I don't...

this is...

um...

what?
Apr 20, 2014 6:59 AM

Sep 2011
funny.
Apr 24, 2014 6:58 AM

Dec 2009
I don't even know what's going on anymore... but the ending better not be shit.
Apr 24, 2014 11:28 AM

Jul 2009
IMO the mere fact that they made everyone's happiness into a dream means that the events in his dream are not going to happen. If they were going to happen then why make them a dream sequence? Why not just make it reality and leave out the part where he wakes up? If the next chapter is going to end the same, then why even make it? For this reason I think we're going to get a twist ending. Something that truly connects the second half of this series with the first. I think Nakamura is going to show up at Kasuga's door and tell him why she pushed him off the stage. And that's going to change everything.
Apr 25, 2014 10:37 PM

Dec 2012
A bit confused. MAL says there's 58 chapters total but the next one is the final. Is it going to be a double chapter or is that just wishful thinking?

As for this chapter, wow middle aged Kasuga was so surreal, like looking at a whole new person. I like how it fast forwarded his life in his dream and the strong focus on imagery rather than words. Also got a good laugh out of the last page with Saeki's picture and a big fat "LOSE" slapped on top of it.
Apr 30, 2014 4:06 PM

Feb 2014
I'm having a bad feeling something fuck up gonna happen.
The higher I get , The lower I'll sink.

May 3, 2014 9:44 AM

Jul 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
A bit confused. MAL says there's 58 chapters total but the next one is the final. Is it going to be a double chapter or is that just wishful thinking?

I'm guessing they're counting chapter 17.5

I usually see Mal chapters don't usually add up to the actual chapters, so special chapters are probably counted.
May 17, 2014 2:21 AM

Jul 2012
what the actual fuck.
Is this really about to end in 2 chapter? D: AMSOSAD
May 23, 2014 5:32 PM
May 2014
That empty field is him thinking he was free....finally free from the flower...but its still there...there is no escape... its too late for him. The insanity is sunken in and the flower has everyone in its grips even Saeki and her family. Strangely enough i believe Nakamura is coming out of her insanity and the flower is losing it grip on her. In the end Kasugas going to write his own version of Flowers of Evil. He has in a way become Baudelaire....i personally think this manga was beautiful...and if you think this story has a happy ending...you haven't been paying attention lol
May 23, 2014 5:39 PM

May 2013
i liked the ending i mean it wasnt the best and of course the ending was rushed and alittle weird but at least it some what had a satisfying ending to me anyway. Very good manga i hope no one skips this cause they see a few people bashing on how it ended .__.
Be It 10 or 1000 Men, The End Result Will Be The Same..
May 25, 2014 10:46 AM
May 2012
Yeah, yeah, it's kinda confusing........but I think I get it.
I was hearing sounds in my head while reading this chapter, and I think it's awesome.
Xikarra said:
Misiakk said:
What's happening? This chapter was sh*t and made no sense! And next chapter is last one? Damn I'm disappointed in this manga! It should end at festival, but i bet someone suggest to the author that bad ending would not sell and he came up with this crap now.. So disappointed, same lame ending as in Oyasumi Punpun.

So you wanted Kasuga to screw up all what he's been trying to build ever since he left his hometown and become again that lost brat he was? It's a coming-of-age story ever since the beginning.

I understand people that read it for the crazy shit happening. I did enjoy it too. But I'd be mad if the author would run the story backwards and give us a "bad" end for the sake of giving us a bad end.

Indeed.
Something inside my head keeps on saying: The ending will be sad, but I want to believe in the one saying: The ending will be happy :D
May 30, 2014 9:05 AM

Jul 2013
Sex with Tokiwa was so mind-blowing that it made Kasuga see the future. That sums it up and maaaan I'm jealous.... lol

I would love if the manga ended, showing everyone grown-up and happy. On the last few pages we would see Kasuga (who'd be married to Tokiwa) passing by Nakamura in the street and then going on separate ways without talking, but with smiles on their faces, because they would recognize each other. Basically, almost what this chapter showed us without the "It was all a dream" part.

I hope Oshimi Shuuzou has something good saved for last, because reading this manga was an amazing experience
NaughtyNoddyMay 30, 2014 9:08 AM
Jun 1, 2014 1:01 PM

May 2007
So I finished the anime around 1:30pm (I started it about 6am...went out for 2 hours before resuming) and immediately after that I started reading the manga (took a break when I got to chapter 34 to play my 360 for a tiny bit) and just finished it.

It would be nice to see a 2nd season but I've heard that the DVD and Blu-Ray sales for season 1 wasn't very good....is this true though?

So after finishing the manga, chapter 56 deals with Kasuga having a dream after having sex with Aya, where it depicts his future desires and hopes everyone else gets a happy ending with Sawa potentially getting her whole family back, Saeki and Kinoshita reuniting, I think there's one for Saeki having a family...not sure who it was on chapter 56 page 15. However, he wakes up and realises he's still at university and is still going out with Aya, who's great.

The final chapter showed us how Sawa saw her world at that time and the whole "other side" thing was probably her way of saying she wants to live with her mother rather than her father as the town she ends up moving to can be read as "the other side".

After finishing that manga, I felt a little empty beacuse even though it was bittersweet...it did sting a little but it really was an incredible read. I'm so glad I just decided to just do it....I had been holding off it for a while because the anime was retro-scoped, which I ended up not being bothered by it and in a weird way I appreciated it.

I gave both the anime and manga a 10/10
Aug 24, 2014 12:12 PM

Jan 2013
It was all just a dream. Seemed so plausible.
Dec 2, 2014 1:27 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
atomic_dawg said:

In chapter 55, Kasuga is in class and they're discussing The Flowers of Evil. The professor is focusing on the poem "Her Hair". He says the poem was composed for Jeanne Duval. He goes on to say that Baudelaire wrote many poems dedicated to her.

Toward the end of chapter 55, Kasuga is in his apartment. He opens up a notebook and it's blank. Tokiwa shows up and asks him about the notebook. Kasuga says, "I haven't written anything in it, yet." Tokiwa responds, "What are you going to write?" Kasuga says, "I don't know yet.". Tokiwa spends the night, they make love and fall asleep. This leads right into chapter 56...

In chapter 56...

I like your insight. It makes a lot of sense and would be a logical way for this story to go full circle.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 8, 2016 5:49 PM

Jul 2013
Fuckin hell. I'm not gonna lie. I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a fucked up ending.
Seems like it's just going to wrap everything up all nicely with a little bow. Fuck that.
Jul 21, 2016 6:43 PM

Jan 2016
Seems like everybody will get a happy ending
Sep 10, 2016 8:45 PM
Sep 2016
Just finish reading even though the story is really twisted I finish it, thats why I'm not a fan of phsycological genre my symphaty goes to nanako, kasuga is just so useless there is no way I will be a push over of just 1 girl he is just so stupid I cringe most of the time reading it but I cant stop reading dont know why
Sep 24, 2016 1:27 AM
Apr 2015
putch said:
Just finish reading even though the story is really twisted I finish it, thats why I'm not a fan of phsycological genre my symphaty goes to nanako, kasuga is just so useless there is no way I will be a push over of just 1 girl he is just so stupid I cringe most of the time reading it but I cant stop reading dont know why

Nanako was screwed hard by the story. The author had a giant hatred boner for her. She's in a lot of ways similar to

And yeah, ending was super disappointing.
Nov 20, 2016 3:56 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I guess there's two ways to interpret this. One is that this is all a dream, a story that will happen later and Kasuga will write it for himself. The other possibility is that is all happened, but then we jump back to a younger Kasuga, unaware of what will happen to him later. But yeah, it's most likely a dream, and that dream is what inspires Kasuga to start writing.

4/5
Nov 24, 2016 6:39 AM

Jan 2013
Well then, that's a pleasant dream to write about in your diary Kasuga.
For a second I thought the entire manga was a dream when I saw him wake up but quickly realized it was his own room seeing the note Tokiwa left him.

Time for Kasuga to write his own verson of "Aku no Hana / Flowers of Evil".

KagamiD said:

Thought the message was clear when he decided to finally write in his "diary" after he woke up.
This future can still happen, maybe not as accurate but I have a feeling that Kasuga will end up just fine, have kids with Tokiwa maybe etc.
Dec 8, 2016 7:09 AM

Dec 2015
I'm glad he ended up with Tokiwa in the end.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 10, 2016 7:06 AM

Jul 2015
i was expecting something so much more darker lol
this bitch nakamura didnt die .....
disappointed

5/10
tragedydesuDec 10, 2016 10:55 AM
Feb 12, 2017 10:00 AM

Mar 2009
atomic_dawg said:

In chapter 56...

2.5 years later.... =P
I was just thinking that his writing would be dedicated to her, she's not just his inspiration, she's the person to whom he writes.
Great catch with the hair and flower symbolism, I was wondering why the flower looked like that, it makes so much sense this way. Thank you! ^^

Lulu ❤ | My MALoween Candy
May 4, 2017 12:20 AM

Mar 2015
Damn damn damn that was nice story telling with just pictures showing a happy ending between all of them

Nov 20, 2017 2:42 AM

Jan 2017
Just when I thought it's finally ending on a good note, it's just a dream? whoah, I'd be glad if that would be the ending tho. So happy.
Jan 6, 2020 12:41 PM

May 2015
Hmmm, it was a dream. Now I'm curious to see how this will really end.
Apr 4, 2020 2:28 PM
May 2015
That was an okay ending to a story about dealing with inner dark/rebellious impulses.

Kasuga and Saeki got reasonably happy endings. But Nakamura was the most interesting one and her story was left open, maybe she can find someone again? The writer could do a sequel with her.

Apr 1, 2021 4:08 PM
Dec 2020
mwp said:
The most interesting part of his dream was the very last portion of it, where the petals of the "flower of evil" flew towards a certain place and the way I saw it, "infested it" completely. The page before we were shown a girl who looks eerily similar to young Nakamura, and two pages before we saw Kasuga busy with writing, paying no heed to the outside world. All these things to me suggest that the girl walking down the crosswalk is Tokiwa's and Kasuga's daughter around the same age they were when the story started, and due to certain circumstances, she became the same sort of outcast Nakamura was at her age.

That would make the story of Aku no Hana go full circle, and in a way it would make it complete. But then in the last pew pages, we see that it was merely just a dream, although slightly prophetic in nature. I'm curious to see the wrap-up next month.

EDIT: Kasuga shown nude at the beginning can also be interpreted in a sexual way, in a way showing Kasuga's "garden of fertility", and the petal touching his body is the "flower of evil" planting its seed inside him, which "seed" later gives birth to their daughter with Tokiwa.

Don't mind me, I'm just theorizing.

man i know you wrote this years ago but this is a phenomenal theory
Jul 4, 2021 12:23 PM

Jan 2020
So that happy moments was just Kasuga's writing ?

Or did he dream after they finishes having sex ?

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeJul 5, 2021 3:06 PM
Nov 16, 2022 10:37 AM

Aug 2018
Everything is moving forward with the characters. And Kasuga will start writing.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 46 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KitKatKaz - Jun 6, 2013

82 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 39 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2013

31 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 37 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 2, 2013

31 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 9:19 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Explicitz - May 14, 2012

85 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Chapter 25 Discussion

notsureifsrs - May 14, 2012

38 by Sahil_K_Chandio »»
Mar 27, 8:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.