Forum Settings
Forums

Why is anime always more popular/well known

New
Apr 7, 2014 7:39 PM

Dec 2013
Compared to manga/in the general public.
More people know about anime compared to manga. Most people watch the anime first.

I'm asking this bland question because every time I look for recs on google all I usually get are anime threads. Especially romance.

Its really hard to find good manga is basically what I am getting at.
I shall destroy and hate mankind
Apr 7, 2014 7:41 PM

Apr 2011
I think it's because only really popular manga that catches the eye of a lot of people end up getting scanlated. Granted, there are websites that scanlate basically anything that their staff can get their hands on in Japan. My point is that if you go to any manga store (pretty rare) you can get your hands on some good stuff.
Apr 7, 2014 8:29 PM
Feb 2013
i think for people like me, its better seeing things in action with color and sound!i used to get bored reading manga because its just black and white and its not animated or anything but now its gotten really interesting!but i would have to say these are the reasons why people might prefer anime over manga!especially for shounen animes, its probably better seeing all the battle scenes live! :D
Apr 7, 2014 8:29 PM

Jun 2007
Because anime is a more popular medium.

Literally, that's it, there is no secret or mysterious reason.
Apr 7, 2014 9:01 PM

Dec 2013
the same answer is to this question.. why movies are more famous than books? i mean i havent heard about the book of Harry Porter all i knew was the movies and then i found out that was based on a book..

the reason is because reading feels like school or job.. people just want to watch and relax..

also anime get more ads than manga.. its really weird see ads or people talking about up coming mangas..

also fights, comedy, romance, and gore oh and sport are better animated since you get music, you get to feel the tension and you get to see why the moves..
Apr 7, 2014 11:02 PM

Dec 2013
Yeah and then taking into account how many more manga there are in comparison to anime.

Kind of ticks me off when I want to find something good and have a second opinion but all I get mostly is the most popular series Ive heard of a billion times.
Apr 8, 2014 12:14 AM

Oct 2011
Locally in Japan, manga is more popular than anime and it's the opposite when it comes to the western fanbase. The two reasons why anime is more popular is because of the lack of availability and variety of manga even though there is more manga than anime that has been made (scanlations ehem). Another reason is that people prefer anime over manga because they are too lazy to read or they lack imagination. People would say manga is just static images and that they prefer those with moving animation and sound.
Apr 8, 2014 4:58 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
victor2195 said:
the same answer is to this question.. why movies are more famous than books? i mean i havent heard about the book of Harry Porter all i knew was the movies and then i found out that was based on a book..

I don't think Harry Potter is a good example in this case. The books were really big even before the movies. Like packed midnight releases in book stores, even before the movies. Somehow, you just didn't noticed. But I knew about the books long before the movies, and I wasn't even interested in them at the time.

I do agree with the general statement that visual medium like TV shows and movies are generally more popular then books, comics, or manga.

Just to give a MAL example:

Naruto
Anime: 334,694 members
Manga: 120,920 members

Bleach
Anime: 326,743 members
Manga: 107,598 members

Death Note
Anime: 439,336 members
Manga: 89,980 members

The Death Note example is the most interesting. The difference between the anime and the manga for Death Note is pretty large. Naruto and Bleach are both action manga, but Death Note is a more heady mystery thriller.
Apr 8, 2014 5:00 AM

Jun 2009
Plebs don't like to read?
Apr 8, 2014 5:44 AM

Nov 2012
Because people are too lazy to read?
And then there's the second segment that doesn't like manga due to it not having sound/animation/color.

I wouldn't say it's always more popular, though. There's plenty of series that are better as a manga than they've ever been as an anime. Berserk comes to mind, most people read the manga, they don't watch the adaptation.
Apr 8, 2014 5:53 AM

Apr 2011
People generally prefer watching over reading.

Manga is much more popular than anime in Japan though, for some reason. All hentai manga, which is more pleasant to read than watch may be a factor, but I don't know. Manga is more convenient for working people as well, as not only teens read it.
Apr 8, 2014 6:50 AM
Jun 2011
I guess because it's easier for people to see everything moving (fights and stuff) and with colors? I don't know, but for some reason a lot of people preffer anime over manga..
Apr 9, 2014 12:26 PM

Oct 2009
if the anime is well-made, it crushes the manga

a well-made anime offers so many things a manga can't - colour, soundtrack, emotion in the voice, set pacing, etc. The well-made anime will just offer a much better experience to most.

that said, the anime has to be well-made.
Apr 9, 2014 12:28 PM

Sep 2012
Because manga sucks.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 9, 2014 2:04 PM

Jun 2007
BlueKite said:
Locally in Japan, manga is more popular than anime and it's the opposite when it comes to the western fanbase. The two reasons why anime is more popular is because of the lack of availability and variety of manga even though there is more manga than anime that has been made (scanlations ehem). Another reason is that people prefer anime over manga because they are too lazy to read or they lack imagination. People would say manga is just static images and that they prefer those with moving animation and sound.

Another reason manga is so popular in Japan is due to the fact that almost every person there has to spend time on the train, a taxi, or waiting in other ways with nothing to do such as during breaks at work as well (OLs buy a lot of manga!). It's a circumstance of their culture and society. I'm just adding on to what you said, not debating it.

Also, it's worth mentioning (not directly for you, but the whole thread) that you can't really compared two entirely different mediums, that's why I avoided doing so earlier as well.
Apr 9, 2014 2:49 PM
Mar 2014
Korrvo said:
Because manga sucks.

It does not. In fact most times the manga version of an anime is more detailed and lasts longer
Apr 9, 2014 2:54 PM

Sep 2012
Berto5432 said:
Korrvo said:
Because manga sucks.

It does not. In fact most times the manga version of an anime is more detailed and lasts longer
No it sucks cause I said so and I'm god so you're wrong.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 9, 2014 3:26 PM

Apr 2013
People don't like to read. Same with regular books and tv shows/movies. Most of the friends watch tv shows and movies, but not many of them read for fun.

Apr 9, 2014 11:19 PM

Oct 2009
Berto5432 said:
Korrvo said:
Because manga sucks.

And for some that is a negative.
Apr 10, 2014 2:11 AM

Jul 2013
I really dislike reading. The longest I've ever been able to read a book without getting bored to death with it was LotR which lasted for about 1 hour lol

Manga and VN's however seem to be the only thing that I can actually read all day without getting bored. I have no idea why that is though xD
And I agree that manga can be better than the anime adaptation of it.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Apr 10, 2014 2:28 AM

Feb 2014
Reading manga takes more mental effort than sitting down and watching anime, which is a downside for some even if the material turns out to be worse when adapted. Maybe a weaker, shorter story is an advantage to some people, who just don't have the time to get engrossed in the plot.
Apr 10, 2014 10:52 AM

Apr 2012
In fact manga is much more popular and widely accepted in Japan than anime.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Apr 10, 2014 11:27 AM

Dec 2013
I don't know that feels a bit debatable, unless the series is dubbed you are still reading it and most people(elitists) prefere the sub anyway so in the end you are still reading words/text.
Apr 10, 2014 11:32 AM

Feb 2013
A good anime will be always superior to manga due to motion, sounds, OSTs, etc. It's not about being lazy. It's just a more enjoyable sort of entertainment in most cases. Also, if you consider that most of the people (outside Japan) watch anime subbed, they still have to read the subs just like a manga.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Apr 10, 2014 12:32 PM

Oct 2009
Toradoche said:
Reading manga takes more mental effort than sitting down and watching anime, which is a downside for some even if the material turns out to be worse when adapted. Maybe a weaker, shorter story is an advantage to some people, who just don't have the time to get engrossed in the plot.

i didnt say anything about a weaker story

i said a story not drowned out in minutiae.

i dont care about some tertiary character's childhood and things like that.
Apr 10, 2014 12:45 PM

Dec 2013
Personally I like manga better since they always try to get dynamic shots from different angles. The downside to this is that usually the anime gets more room for background art which is sad. But animes sometimes have slightly less engaging angles, focusing on the characters face/mouth when speaking.

It's a double edged sword for me on both occasions. I also think, unless the manga looks like awful, it would usually have better artwork nowadays.

Unless its bones/sunrise, any of the big companies.
Apr 12, 2014 5:03 AM
Dec 2012
It airs on TV?
Apr 12, 2014 6:31 AM

May 2009
Mediatisation? Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Detective Conan ( aka Case Closed ). Those old but gold titles really made popular the anime term via television around in the 90s. How excited I was to learn later ( via internet ) that those series were anime and there was more than I could have imagined!

Isn't nowadays the same thing? People are still discovering anime via mass media because you see on TV anime like Naruto, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note. By chance they find out that those are japanase animation. And they are happy like that, without knowing that those are actually following the storyline of a manga ( and even if they know, they don't even bother to check it because they are satisfied with just the animation/or just don't like manga due to who knows what reasons ). You also won't see a tv or a library ( other than in Japan ) that promote manga.

I also think people hold on to it so dearly might be because they became hypnotize by a culture different from there own.

Erm, and let's not forget that american cartoons are getting worse day by day. A storyline that's appealing, good sound, different art syle and characters you can relate to can make you switch from cartoons to anime bla bla and so on.

"Angels banished from heaven have no choice but to become devils"
Vicious. Cowboy Bebop

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1054 by Francis_0 »»
7 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
Yesterday, 1:50 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Yesterday, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.