MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Bebop debate: Japanese vs English
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Cowboy Bebop »» Bebop debate: Japanese vs English

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Original Japanese

63 39.38%
English dub

97 60.63%
Voters: 160

01-18-08, 1:37 AM

As an English speaker as well as someone who must rely on subtitles for Japanese audio, I have to side 100% with the English dub. From Steven Blum's cool tone to Melissa Fahn's wonderful take on Ed, the whole voice cast is just fantastic.

What's your take?

01-29-08, 12:02 PM

I prefer the original, but Bebop is one of the few dubs that I don't mind watching.

If anyone cares, they are about to release a nice shiny remastered video, 5.1 audio, complete series dvd box set for Bebop over in Japan on Feb 22, 2008. (To celebrate the 10th Anniversary) Of course, it's region 2, only has Japanese Audio, and has no subtitles :) But still, it's nice that they are doing something. I wonder if they will do anything else throughout the year? ^_^

01-29-08, 12:12 PM

I'm in between. The cowboy sound sounds really good in english, but the original always has a extra edge to it. So yeah....

02-08-08, 5:37 PM

MagicalEmi said:
If anyone cares, they are about to release a nice shiny remastered video, 5.1 audio, complete series dvd box set for Bebop over in Japan on Feb 22, 2008. (To celebrate the 10th Anniversary) Of course, it's region 2, only has Japanese Audio, and has no subtitles :) But still, it's nice that they are doing something. I wonder if they will do anything else throughout the year? ^_^

They just released the new box set here ins the U.S.
http://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Bebop-Remix-Anime-Legends/dp/B00102FF7U/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1202521047&sr=8-1

I can't wait to pick it up

Cowboy Bebop is the only anime that I never bothered watching in Japanese. It's just that good. I did try the Japanese, but it just doesn't compare
Modified by JeremyC, 02-08-08, 5:40 PM

02-25-08, 2:31 AM

Yeah, I'm definitely picking that up when I get the chance (lol, buying anime). I have yet to ever watch the subbed version. I almost always prefer subbed over dubbed, but the Cowboy Bebop dub is, like jay said, just so good I never bothered watching it subbed. It would be way too hard to get used to at this point anyhow.

02-25-08, 2:35 AM

I don wanna vote for any. Chobits and Cowboy Bebob have pretty decent dubs.

04-23-08, 2:35 PM

Cowboy Bebop is one of the few anime dubs where the the dub is better than the original Japanese. After watching the series carefully, I noticed barely any hints of Japanese culture in the show, only mainly Western culture. The dub was able to capture that Western atmosphere perfectly, and to me, watching the Japanese version of Bebop was like watching the Japanese dub of a non JP film (But the acting wasn't bad or anything...!)

MagicalEmi said:
If anyone cares, they are about to release a nice shiny remastered video, 5.1 audio, complete series dvd box set for Bebop over in Japan on Feb 22, 2008. (To celebrate the 10th Anniversary)

Yay, Japan still cares about Bebop! HAPPY (belated) 10th, Bebop!!!

04-24-08, 1:10 PM

Oh good, I'm not alone in preferring the dub. I really do like every single actor in it...it's just a collection of great talent.

10-03-08, 4:19 PM

well i think the dub is better because spikes voice fit him bery well it laidback and the other is stiff

10-03-08, 4:20 PM

I heard the dub first, and it was fantastic, so when I watched the subbed, it felt so out of place. I usually prefer sub > dub, but Cowboy Bebop is an exception.

10-03-08, 4:25 PM

Though I never heard the english dub. If we get anime here, and that is a big IF, it is mostly dubbed in Dutch, which is horrible. Never had cowboy bebop in dub, we had it once in japanese audio with dutch subtitle but that was just a one time thing..
Besides I don't like dubs, mostly because they sound horrible. So I would vote for the Japanese audio with the english/dutch subtitles

10-04-08, 8:12 PM

I really admire the cast for bebop and I usually don't give two shits about this matter, I'll watch a show dubbed or subbed whatever but I believe the only way to watch bebop is dubbed.
Modified by SlipperSleaze, 10-04-08, 8:20 PM

01-17-09, 2:46 PM

only weaboos would choose the japanese

02-02-09, 1:37 PM

Wow I'm surprised the english dub is preferred.
My personal opinion however, after watching both japanese then english versions, I still prefer the original japanese. It just suited the characters more. Saying that, the dub was one of the best I've seen. Just personal preference really :D

03-18-09, 8:34 AM

I am not a big fan of english dub but i have to say that the dubbing used here in cowboy bebop is the best ever.

03-18-09, 9:09 AM

Neverender said:
Yeah, I'm definitely picking that up when I get the chance (lol, buying anime). I have yet to ever watch the subbed version. I almost always prefer subbed over dubbed, but the Cowboy Bebop dub is, like jay said, just so good I never bothered watching it subbed. It would be way too hard to get used to at this point anyhow.

Most of what he said
I'd like tossing your salad.-"Yuru"/MMMKD
DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM MOTHERFUCKER?-SophieWophie<3

04-15-09, 3:22 PM

I watched the whole series in Eng Sub and it was outstanding, then I watched the movie in Eng Dub and I was blown away by how the voice actors were almost the same as the Japanese actors. It was great. :D

04-15-09, 3:31 PM

I watched to dub version first and was blown away by the voice acting.
Then I downloaded the remastered version and it was subs only and I have to
say I think the English voices fit the chars better. Maybe its my own bi-est speaking as I
can see how its a bit jarring to see chars you've already identified with in a in a diff voice.

04-16-09, 12:24 PM

Cowboys Bebop's English dub is not only just decent, but actually better than the original.

05-17-09, 1:46 PM

Neverender said:

yeah, this. :)!

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices